The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 29

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 09:29 PM

Have got way behind on my commenting, it seems...will catch up tomorrow.

The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 29

After spending the afternoon resting and relaxing, amongst other things, the adventurers were ready to perform Aran’s second task. They left the Copper Coronet in the early evening, most of them glad to leave the hot and stuffy tavern for the coolness of the evening air. Most of the regular people had gone home, leaving the streets free for the pickpocketers, the beggars and the courtesans, though no one attempted to bother them. There was a calmness about the city that was very rarely seen, even at night.

It was a fairly dangerous mission they were undertaking, as Benny had pointed out before they had left. Kane and Benny had no idea who Caehan and Jaylos were, it seemed likely that the two had joined after they had left, and Cory had heard of them only by name. But there were very few in the Shadow Thieves who had not heard of Benny, or indeed Kane for that matter, and it was common knowledge that they were once again walking the streets. The two men knew that they had to keep their faces hidden, could not risk being recognised if they were going to try and trick the traitors. But they didn’t dwell on the fact, knowing that things would either work out as planned or not, in which case they would have to take another course of action.

“Everything is all right between you and Edwin then?” Benny fell into step beside his student. “I must say, you’re both looking a lot happier.”

“Everything is just…perfect,” Kane said at once, unable to stop himself sounding so happy. “I was worried about telling him the truth about me and Crystal, I thought that he might just get angry and upset like last time, but now I’m glad I did. He was very understanding about it all and I think it’s made us stronger.”

“Sharing things with your loved ones tends to have that effect,” Benny smiled faintly. “I’m glad to see you both so happy, you deserve it. Hopefully it’ll last without any more arguments for a while now.”

“If Bhaal stopped plaguing me and Edwin’s family disappeared, we might just have a chance,” the Bhaalspawn pointed out, though he did return his teacher’s smile. “Seriously though, we’ve agreed that we aren’t going to keep things from each other any more and to try and discuss things reasonably without getting upset. Sometimes arguments can be fun, or at least the making up can, but if we go too far then it isn’t good for either of us…” he trailed off, watching Edwin talking to Cory. “I didn’t know it was possible to love someone this much or to feel this happy. I really do hope that it won’t all end any time soon.”

“Time will tell,” his teacher said quietly. “Though there may be much to overcome before things are over for you both. My advice to you is to just make the most of every day you spend together. If you really are meant to be…then the future will take care of itself.”

“That makes enough sense, I suppose. Don’t get me wrong, were I offered the chance of becoming a god, I would not turn it down, but I cannot help but hope that it won’t happen for a long time yet. Still, who knows what the future has in store, huh?” He stopped talking and studied Benny for a moment. “Are you all right? You seem a little…tense.”

“I’m fine!” the shapeshifter said quickly. A little too quickly for Kane’s liking. “Perfectly fine.”

“Fair enough.” Kane was certain that something was up, but if Benny didn’t want to talk, then he was happy to respect his wishes for the time being. “But you would tell me if there was anything seriously wrong, wouldn’t you?”

“Of course I would!” Benny smiled and patted him on the shoulder. “I’ve nothing to hide from you, Kane. I’ve just got things on my mind, that’s all.”

“Mixed feelings about working for the Shadow Thieves again?”

“Amongst other things,” the assassin nodded and quickly changed the subject as the Five Flagons came into sight. “But none of that matters right now. We have a job to do.”

“Ever the dedicated assassin,” Kane said fondly. “You’re right, let’s just get this over with.”

They already had their plan figured out. Kane and Benny would go in and talk to the two traitors, their hoods covering their faces to prevent any recognition, while Cory would slip behind them and stay in the shadows. Edwin would go with him, covered by an invisibility spell. Viconia would stay just behind the door and Kagain and Korgan would guard the staircase, watching for anyone who might look like the contact.

After giving the others time to get into their places, Kane pushed the door open as wide as it would do and walked in, Benny following him. The two Shadow Thieves, a human and a dwarf, neither of whom the two could recall seeing before, looked startled at their sudden entrance.

“Who are you?” The dwarf asked, instantly aggressive. “Damn! I knew we would be followed.”

“Ease up, Jaylos!” His human companion, who had to be Caehan, said easily. “Maybe they is just here for the same reason we are. Lots were talking about making the switch.”

“Could be, I suppose,” Jaylos agreed. “Hey, you! What are you doing here? Speak, and be quick about it.”

“You…you’re here to meet with the contact too?” Kane pretended to be shocked. “I…I thought you were here to kill us.”

“You too!” Caehan sounded rather relieved. “I thought we’d be…”

“Keep your damn voices down!” Jaylos ordered. “Cripes, it seems like half of the guild is going. We’ve just got to sit and wait then. You keep your mouths shut and stay still.”

“Sorry, Jaylos,” Caehan apologised. “I was just glad to see someone else doing the same thing.”

“Stop using my name, you idiot!” The dwarf snapped. “Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. We’ll just have to see. All right, friends, just who is it you think we are going to meet?”

“Why? Don’t you know?” Benny crossed his arms across his chest, instantly acting defensive. This was the sort of thing he enjoyed doing. “Are you trying to pry information out of us, huh?”

“You’re a spy!” Kane couldn’t resist joining in, trying to frighten them a little. “You’re both spies, aren’t you?”

“What?” Jaylos was startled by the direction the conversation was taking. “No…no, I know it. I ain’t no spy! Shut up or they’ll just kill us instead of taking us!”

“Aw geeze, they think we’re spies!” Caehan said nervously. “We’re gonna die!”

“You don’t know the name,” Kane taunted quietly and chuckled cruelly, knowing that he was starting to frighten them.

“Alright,” Jaylos was trying to stay calm, keep the situation in hand, but Kane and Benny could see that he was tense, nervous. “Everyone just calm down.”

“I’d listen to your friend if I were you,” Benny said warningly. “You’re in big trouble now.”

“Oh, you are funny!” the dwarf scowled. “Think we’ll just going to lay down and die? We’re getting out and we’re doing it while the going is good.”

“We’ve noticed,” Cory finally spoke, just inches from Caehan’s ear, causing the human to jump. “Whatever happened to loyalty, eh? People like you make me sick!”

“How many of you are there?” the man spun round in alarm, but Cory was still out of sight. Jaylos scowled.

“You aren’t who you say you are, are you?” he demanded. “You’re the spies here!”

“Perhaps,” Benny smirked beneath his hood. “And what if we are?”

“Kill ‘em before Gracen gets here!” Caehan said urgently. “Or they’ll never take us!”

“Caehan!” Jaylos growled. “You are such an idiot!”

“Gracen, is it?” Kane repeated. “Thank you, boys. And now, I think it’s time for you to die.”

That was the signal for the rest of them to show themselves. Caehan turned in time to prevent Cory from sticking his sword through his back, but he wasn’t able to do anything to defend himself from Edwin’s magic. He stumbled backwards, as the missiles slammed into his face and chest, and gave a piercing cry as Kane’s sword slammed into his back. Jaylos, despite his threats, instantly decided that he would be better off making a run for it. Benny, who hadn’t moved, casually stuck his foot out and the dwarf flew over it, his neck meeting Korgan’s axe on his way down. He fell in the hallway, not able to make anything more than gurgling sounds until Kagain finished him off.

“Well that’s that taken care of,” Viconia looked down at Jaylos with disgust. “I doubt they’ll be missed.”

“Doubt it!” Cory growled, spitting on Caehan’s lifeless body. “Bloody traitors! They deserved this.”

“They were foolish to think they would get away from the Shadow Thieves alive,” Benny agreed. “And yet, I wonder if things would have been any better for them in this new guild.”

“I highly doubt it-” Kane started, but they were distracted as another figure came up the stairs. Like Kane and Benny, they were wearing a long black cloak, hiding their face, though it was obvious from the build that it was a man. And it also seemed likely that he was the contact, Gracen.

“What is the meaning of this?” he asked sharply. “I could hear this fight from the street outside! I thought you would have had the common sense to do nothing to draw attention to yourselves. What is going on here?”

“Nothing, Gracen,” Kane answered at once. “Just a couple of spies who followed me here and needed to be dealt with before we could meet.”

“I…see,” Gracen looked down at the body and back to Kane and Benny, not appearing to doubt their word. “A necessary commotion then, of course, though we should move quickly. Your new berth is beneath the graveyard district, behind the blue stone doors.”

“That was all we needed to know, Gracen.” Benny nodded and drew his sword. “Now you shall face the wrath of the Shadow Thieves!”

“You!” Gracen hissed. “The group from the docks! You shall not live to tell what you have learnt!”

“Aye!” Kagain laughed. “Like we’ve never ‘eard that before.”

Sure enough, it was Gracen who didn’t live to tell the tale. He had learnt the hard way that crossing a heavily armed group, especially one led by Kane Theaza, was not the best thing to do in order to stay alive. By the time all seven of them had finished with him, he was on the floor, bleeding from several wounds, his life quickly draining away.

“This,” Kane hissed, putting his swords away. “This is the beginning. Your guild will fall, Gracen. I swear it.”

“Three killings in one night!” Korgan grinned, using Gracen’s cloak to wipe the blood off his axe. “This is being the best night we’ve had in a long time.”

“Oh well,” Kane pushed Gracen’s lifeless body aside. “We’ve done what Aran wanted, found out his information. I just wonder what he’ll want us to do next.”

The group left quickly after that, wanting to get out of the way as quickly as possible. They were all in high spirits, laughing, joking, teasing each other. Kane took Edwin’s hand; Viconia slipped her arm around Benny’s waist, not ashamed to show her affection for him in front of their companions. Once again, things were going right for them.

“Wait!” Even Benny could not explain why he stopped so suddenly; he just had a very strong feeling that something wasn’t quite right. The rest paused, puzzled, as the shapeshifter looked around him, trying to work out what was troubling him.

Suddenly five wizards appeared from thin air, completely surrounding the companions. Though some were older and one or two younger, they all wore similar robes, blood red. Edwin turned pale at the sight of them, Kane and Cory scowled and Korgan cursed loudly.

“Red Wizards,” Cory hissed under his breath. “They must have been waiting for us.”

“An ambush,” Kane muttered. “Prepare yourselves.”

“The cloth,” Benny suddenly understood. “A warning. But who…?” He shook his head, knowing that now was not the time to ponder. Now was the time for battle.

“We have come to collect Edwin Odesseiron!” One of them stated firmly. “And to claim revenge for the death of Degardan.”

“Don’t your kind ever give up?” Kane spat. “You are not having him, it is that simple. He is our companion and he is staying with us!”

“This is your last warning, Bhaalspawn! Do not interfere with what must be done. Allow us to take him and we will spare your miserable lives. Stand aside!”

“Are you deaf?” Benny growled. He was tense, ready to spring at any second, and his eyes were beginning to glow. “He said that you are not having Edwin and he meant it.”

“We don’t just give up our companions without a fight!” Cory said fiercely. “We’re loyal to each other here.”

“Well said.” Kane’s scowl deepened. “You can go without Edwin, or you can fight us and get yourselves killed. “It matters little to me.”

“Aye, blasted wizards!” Kagain spat. “Ye want our Edwin, come an’ get ‘im!”

“Do you really think you can take us down?” One wizard asked, his tone mocking. “A little overconfident, are we not? Very well, if you want a fight then you shall have one. If Edwin will not return to Thay with us, we shall ensure that he no longer walks the Realms!”

“Ye’ll be the overconfident ones.” Despite the serious situation, there was a hint of humour in Korgan’s voice. “Ye won’t be living to tell the tale of this meeting.”

However, it was obvious right from the beginning that the wizards had the upper hand. Not only had they appeared unexpectedly, but they had also cast protection spells on themselves before teleporting in. Although one paused to cast a fire shield around himself, three of them immediately began hurling offensive spells around. Edwin and Viconia, assuming the roles of spellcasters, attempted to stay back, as out of the way as possible, while the others were left with no choice but to go in, each targeting one wizard and trying to break away the layers of stoneskin that surrounded him.

One sent out a web spell and Kagain and Cory cursed loudly as they found themselves caught in the sticky stuff. But after hacking through it with their weapons, they were soon free, though their delay gave the two wizards time to hit Korgan with two magic missiles. Another wizard sent out a lightning bolt and three skeletons suddenly appeared. It was soon complete madness, with spells flying everywhere and the adventurers doing their best to dodge or deflect whatever they could.

Meanwhile, Edwin was trying to lower the wizard’s defences and destroy the skeletons before they could become too much of a nuisance. Viconia cast a few spells, dispel, resist fear and resist fire, to aid her companions, before turning to summoning bolts of lightning from the sky. The first hit two wizards and did nothing more than strip away more layers of their magical protection, but the second caused fried one of them alive, giving her the first kill. Satisfied, the drow took up her mace and went to join the main battle, where summoned monsters were now getting involved too, causing yet more chaos. There was a sudden grunt as an ogre fell, a clatter as the final skeleton collapsed in a heap of bones and a cry of rage from Korgan as two wizards took the opportunity to renew their protection spells.

They were split now, Cory and the dwarves on one side, battling with the summoned monsters, with Viconia, Kane and Benny trying to deal with two of the wizards. Edwin conjured a flame arrow and smiled as it slammed into one of the wizard’s ribs.

“Where are the other two bastards?” he thought he heard Kane ask, though it was difficult to hear anything above the sounds of shouting and fighting. In any case, he paid little attention, scowling and sending out another magic missile as he heard his lover cry out in pain. They could do what they liked to him, but he wasn’t going to put up with them hurting Kane. Not ever.

As he paused for a moment, trying to decide what spell to cast next, he heard chanting. His blood ran cold as he recognised the words, the spell was one that offered permanent death, by disintegrating the target, destroying them beyond resurrection. Frightened of what he would see, he turned his head and noticed that two wizards had teleported out of the chaos and were now not far from him. They were both waving their hands around, muttering quietly, their eyes narrowed and fixed on him. Edwin knew that he should try and move, there would be no chance for him once the spell hit, but he was frozen to the spot and couldn’t move. All he could do was shut his eyes and wait…

Next Part: The adventurers struggle to pick up the pieces as the battle comes to a messy end.

#2 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 17 December 2003 - 12:25 AM

“Everything is just…perfect,” Kane said at once, unable to stop himself sounding so happy. “I was worried about telling him the truth about me and Crystal, I thought that he might just get angry and upset like last time, but now I’m glad I did. He was very understanding about it all and I think it’s made us stronger.”

Aw, I hope so.

“Sharing things with your loved ones tends to have that effect,” Benny smiled faintly. “I’m glad to see you both so happy, you deserve it. Hopefully it’ll last without any more arguments for a while now.”

Yep, that would certainly make Benny's life a lot easier. :P

“You…you’re here to meet with the contact too?” Kane pretended to be shocked. “I…I thought you were here to kill us.”

I've always liked this quest - it's fun getting them all confused. :)

“We’ve noticed,” Cory finally spoke, just inches from Caehan’s ear, causing the human to jump. “Whatever happened to loyalty, eh? People like you make me sick!”

Go Cory!

“You aren’t who you say you are, are you?” he demanded. “You’re the spies here!”

Heh, even if he survives this encounter he's going to be seriously paranoid for a little while. :twisted:

“Kill ‘em before Gracen gets here!” Caehan said urgently. “Or they’ll never take us!”

Yep. And so is Jaylos, for drawing attention to the mistake. Think the Shadow Thieves should be glad to see those two go...

That was the signal for the rest of them to show themselves. Caehan turned in time to prevent Cory from sticking his sword through his back, but he wasn’t able to do anything to defend himself from Edwin’s magic. He stumbled backwards, as the missiles slammed into his face and chest, and gave a piercing cry as Kane’s sword slammed into his back. Jaylos, despite his threats, instantly decided that he would be better off making a run for it. Benny, who hadn’t moved, casually stuck his foot out and the dwarf flew over it, his neck meeting Korgan’s axe on his way down. He fell in the hallway, not able to make anything more than gurgling sounds until Kagain finished him off.

Well, that was pretty easy.

“That was all we needed to know, Gracen.” Benny nodded and drew his sword. “Now you shall face the wrath of the Shadow Thieves!”

Hmm, I wondered if he was going to take the opportunity to try to infiltrate the vampires. But I guess that might be a bit too dangerous.

The group left quickly after that, wanting to get out of the way as quickly as possible. They were all in high spirits, laughing, joking, teasing each other. Kane took Edwin’s hand; Viconia slipped her arm around Benny’s waist, not ashamed to show her affection for him in front of their companions. Once again, things were going right for them.

Cue something bad happening... :wink:

“Are you deaf?” Benny growled. He was tense, ready to spring at any second, and his eyes were beginning to glow. “He said that you are not having Edwin and he meant it.”

“We don’t just give up our companions without a fight!” Cory said fiercely. “We’re loyal to each other here.”

Aw, Cory's great. :D

As he paused for a moment, trying to decide what spell to cast next, he heard chanting. His blood ran cold as he recognised the words, the spell was one that offered permanent death, by disintegrating the target, destroying them beyond resurrection. Frightened of what he would see, he turned his head and noticed that two wizards had teleported out of the chaos and were now not far from him. They were both waving their hands around, muttering quietly, their eyes narrowed and fixed on him. Edwin knew that he should try and move, there would be no chance for him once the spell hit, but he was frozen to the spot and couldn’t move. All he could do was shut his eyes and wait…

Uh oh...poor Eddie, just as he gets on top of his issues for once this has to go and happen. Hope he's ok. :D

Next Part: The adventurers struggle to pick up the pieces as the battle comes to a messy end.

Nice chapter. Now hurry up and post the next one - that was an evil cliffhanger! :?

#3 Laufey

Posted 17 December 2003 - 04:53 AM

Yeah, same here...Christmas preparations and Christmas gatherings sort of get in the way. :twisted:

“Everything is all right between you and Edwin then?” Benny fell into step beside his student. “I must say, you’re both looking a lot happier.”

Awwwww! :wink: He's almost bubbly about it, that's really sweet.

“If Bhaal stopped plaguing me and Edwin’s family disappeared, we might just have a chance,” the Bhaalspawn pointed out, though he did return his teacher’s smile. “Seriously though, we’ve agreed that we aren’t going to keep things from each other any more and to try and discuss things reasonably without getting upset. Sometimes arguments can be fun, or at least the making up can, but if we go too far then it isn’t good for either of us…” he trailed off, watching Edwin talking to Cory. “I didn’t know it was possible to love someone this much or to feel this happy. I really do hope that it won’t all end any time soon.”

Hopefully it won't...of course, if Eddie's family disappeared, then *he* wouldn't be happy.

“That makes enough sense, I suppose. Don’t get me wrong, were I offered the chance of becoming a god, I would not turn it down, but I cannot help but hope that it won’t happen for a long time yet. Still, who knows what the future has in store, huh?” He stopped talking and studied Benny for a moment. “Are you all right? You seem a little…tense.”

“I’m fine!” the shapeshifter said quickly. A little too quickly for Kane’s liking. “Perfectly fine.”

Uh huh. I believe that about as much as I believe Dekkie when he says the same thing.

“Why? Don’t you know?” Benny crossed his arms across his chest, instantly acting defensive. This was the sort of thing he enjoyed doing. “Are you trying to pry information out of us, huh?”

“You’re a spy!” Kane couldn’t resist joining in, trying to frighten them a little. “You’re both spies, aren’t you?”

I like taking this approach myself. :)

“They were foolish to think they would get away from the Shadow Thieves alive,” Benny agreed. “And yet, I wonder if things would have been any better for them in this new guild.”

Doubt it. They'd have wound up as either vampire snacks or 'experiments'.

Suddenly five wizards appeared from thin air, completely surrounding the companions. Though some were older and one or two younger, they all wore similar robes, blood red. Edwin turned pale at the sight of them, Kane and Cory scowled and Korgan cursed loudly.

“Red Wizards,” Cory hissed under his breath. “They must have been waiting for us.”

Oh crap...

“Do you really think you can take us down?” One wizard asked, his tone mocking. “A little overconfident, are we not? Very well, if you want a fight then you shall have one. If Edwin will not return to Thay with us, we shall ensure that he no longer walks the Realms!”

“Ye’ll be the overconfident ones.” Despite the serious situation, there was a hint of humour in Korgan’s voice. “Ye won’t be living to tell the tale of this meeting.”

Too right!

I doubt you'd disintegrate Eddie...I just hope the others make it.
Rogues do it from behind.

#4 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 17 December 2003 - 09:34 PM

Aw, I hope so.

We'll see if they are strong enough to cope with future events...

Yep, that would certainly make Benny's life a lot easier. :P

Benny: *sigh* Indeed. If they have any more arguments, I might just be tempted to kill them both.

I've always liked this quest - it's fun getting them all confused. :)

I've always liked this quest too. :)

Go Cory!

Loyal to extremes is our Cory. :)

Heh, even if he survives this encounter he's going to be seriously paranoid for a little while. :wink:

I wouldn't blame him really.

Yep. And so is Jaylos, for drawing attention to the mistake. Think the Shadow Thieves should be glad to see those two go...

Probably. :)

Well, that was pretty easy.

They were never going to be much of a challenge.

Hmm, I wondered if he was going to take the opportunity to try to infiltrate the vampires. But I guess that might be a bit too dangerous.

Yes, especially with Benny being such a well known ex-Shadow Thief. He'd have to tread very carefully, or he'd be attacked on sight.

Cue something bad happening... :)

Oh yes.

Aw, Cory's great. :D

I certainly think so. :D

Uh oh...poor Eddie, just as he gets on top of his issues for once this has to go and happen. Hope he's ok. :P

Would I kill dear Edwin? :) We wouldn't have much of a story then, would we?

Nice chapter. Now hurry up and post the next one - that was an evil cliffhanger! :(

I know. :) I'm hoping to post it tomorrow...but we'll see.

Silver

#5 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 18 December 2003 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, same here...Christmas preparations and Christmas gatherings sort of get in the way. :)

My mum keeps dragging me out on shopping trips...I've done three this week. And I never, ever want to see another sheet of wrapping paper again. :)

Awwwww! :) He's almost bubbly about it, that's really sweet.

I certainly think so. :)

Hopefully it won't...of course, if Eddie's family disappeared, then *he* wouldn't be happy.

No...unfortunately that's currently a no-win situation really. But maybe things will work themselves out eventually.

I like taking this approach myself. :)

Me too. I've always liked this quest. :)

Doubt it. They'd have wound up as either vampire snacks or 'experiments'.

Oh yes. They would have been a lot better off just staying put.

Too right!

Indeed. They're underestimating Kane's group.

I doubt you'd disintegrate Eddie...I just hope the others make it.

We'll see. ;) Thanks for commenting.

Silver

#6 Guest_WC_Sumpton_*

Posted 19 December 2003 - 08:23 AM

Boy do I know how this feels...

Let me start with 26. I enjoyed this part very much. Kane is a very complex character, and in this piece I was able to understand him a little more. In 27 I got to see another side of Kane as he was able to releave himself of part of his past. In 28 Kans's confrontation with Edwin was hart wrenching. I hope that their love will grow stronger because of what was said.

After spending the afternoon resting and relaxing, amongst other things, the adventurers were ready to perform Aran’s second task. They left the Copper Coronet in the early evening, most of them glad to leave the hot and stuffy tavern for the coolness of the evening air. Most of the regular people had gone home, leaving the streets free for the pickpocketers, the beggars and the courtesans, though no one attempted to bother them. There was a calmness about the city that was very rarely seen, even at night.

It was a fairly dangerous mission they were undertaking, as Benny had pointed out before they had left. Kane and Benny had no idea who Caehan and Jaylos were, it seemed likely that the two had joined after they had left, and Cory had heard of them only by name. But there were very few in the Shadow Thieves who had not heard of Benny, or indeed Kane for that matter, and it was common knowledge that they were once again walking the streets. The two men knew that they had to keep their faces hidden, could not risk being recognised if they were going to try and trick the traitors. But they didn’t dwell on the fact, knowing that things would either work out as planned or not, in which case they would have to take another course of action.

Nothing ever seem quite what Aran says...

I'm glad he feels this way, and I'm sure Edwin shares his feelings... :D

Maybe this will help the whole group, now that Kane and Edwin are at an understand, and pass their problems.

“Time will tell,” his teacher said quietly. “Though there may be much to overcome before things are over for you both. My advice to you is to just make the most of every day you spend together. If you really are meant to be…then the future will take care of itself.”

I hope Kane is listening...

Now Benny seems a little preoccupied. Feeling about Viconia, or working for the shadow thieves again..

“Fair enough.” Kane was certain that something was up, but if Benny didn’t want to talk, then he was happy to respect his wishes for the time being. “But you would tell me if there was anything seriously wrong, wouldn’t you?”

“Of course I would!” Benny smiled and patted him on the shoulder. “I’ve nothing to hide from you, Kane. I’ve just got things on my mind, that’s all.”

“Mixed feelings about working for the Shadow Thieves again?”

“Amongst other things,” the assassin nodded and quickly changed the subject as the Five Flagons came into sight. “But none of that matters right now. We have a job to do.”

Changes the subject kind of quick here...

“Ever the dedicated assassin,” Kane said fondly. “You’re right, let’s just get this over with.”

And quickly too... But I think there's something else bothering Benny.

They already had their plan figured out. Kane and Benny would go in and talk to the two traitors, their hoods covering their faces to prevent any recognition, while Cory would slip behind them and stay in the shadows. Edwin would go with him, covered by an invisibility spell. Viconia would stay just behind the door and Kagain and Korgan would guard the staircase, watching for anyone who might look like the contact.

After giving the others time to get into their places, Kane pushed the door open as wide as it would do and walked in, Benny following him. The two Shadow Thieves, a human and a dwarf, neither of whom the two could recall seeing before, looked startled at their sudden entrance.

Who ever said 'Walk softly and carry a big stick' never met Kane... :lol:

“Who are you?” The dwarf asked, instantly aggressive. “Damn! I knew we would be followed.”

“Ease up, Jaylos!” His human companion, who had to be Caehan, said easily. “Maybe they is just here for the same reason we are. Lots were talking about making the switch.”

“Could be, I suppose,” Jaylos agreed. “Hey, you! What are you doing here? Speak, and be quick about it.”

Turn the tables before the quest have a chance to sit...

“You too!” Caehan sounded rather relieved. “I thought we’d be…”

“Keep your damn voices down!” Jaylos ordered. “Cripes, it seems like half of the guild is going. We’ve just got to sit and wait then. You keep your mouths shut and stay still.”

“Sorry, Jaylos,” Caehan apologised. “I was just glad to see someone else doing the same thing.”

“Stop using my name, you idiot!” The dwarf snapped. “Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. We’ll just have to see. All right, friends, just who is it you think we are going to meet?”

Take one to know one, I always say.... :twisted:

Keep them jumping and off guard, they wont know if their coming or going!!

“What?” Jaylos was startled by the direction the conversation was taking. “No…no, I know it. I ain’t no spy! Shut up or they’ll just kill us instead of taking us!”

“Aw geeze, they think we’re spies!” Caehan said nervously. “We’re gonna die!”

Perceptive of an idiot...

“You don’t know the name,” Kane taunted quietly and chuckled cruelly, knowing that he was starting to frighten them.

“Alright,” Jaylos was trying to stay calm, keep the situation in hand, but Kane and Benny could see that he was tense, nervous. “Everyone just calm down.”

Someone is trying to regain control...

“I’d listen to your friend if I were you,” Benny said warningly. “You’re in big trouble now.”

Benny's not going to give Jaylos the chance.

“Oh, you are funny!” the dwarf scowled. “Think we’ll just going to lay down and die? We’re getting out and we’re doing it while the going is good.”

“How many of you are there?” the man spun round in alarm, but Cory was still out of sight. Jaylos scowled.

Again a perceptive idiot... :twisted:

“Perhaps,” Benny smirked beneath his hood. “And what if we are?”

:oops:

“Gracen, is it?” Kane repeated. “Thank you, boys. And now, I think it’s time for you to die.”

“Well that’s that taken care of,” Viconia looked down at Jaylos with disgust. “I doubt they’ll be missed.”

“Doubt it!” Cory growled, spitting on Caehan’s lifeless body. “Bloody traitors! They deserved this.”

Shows his true colors here...

“I highly doubt it-” Kane started, but they were distracted as another figure came up the stairs. Like Kane and Benny, they were wearing a long black cloak, hiding their face, though it was obvious from the build that it was a man. And it also seemed likely that he was the contact, Gracen.

“What is the meaning of this?” he asked sharply. “I could hear this fight from the street outside! I thought you would have had the common sense to do nothing to draw attention to yourselves. What is going on here?”

“Nothing, Gracen,” Kane answered at once. “Just a couple of spies who followed me here and needed to be dealt with before we could meet.”

Letting the contact think everything OK...

“I…see,” Gracen looked down at the body and back to Kane and Benny, not appearing to doubt their word. “A necessary commotion then, of course, though we should move quickly. Your new berth is beneath the graveyard district, behind the blue stone doors.”

:oops:

“You!” Gracen hissed. “The group from the docks! You shall not live to tell what you have learnt!”

“Aye!” Kagain laughed. “Like we’ve never ‘eard that before.”

And the dwarves come to party!!

Sure enough, it was Gracen who didn’t live to tell the tale. He had learnt the hard way that crossing a heavily armed group, especially one led by Kane Theaza, was not the best thing to do in order to stay alive. By the time all seven of them had finished with him, he was on the floor, bleeding from several wounds, his life quickly draining away.

“This,” Kane hissed, putting his swords away. “This is the beginning. Your guild will fall, Gracen. I swear it.”

“Three killings in one night!” Korgan grinned, using Gracen’s cloak to wipe the blood off his axe. “This is being the best night we’ve had in a long time.”

Somehow I knew one of those two would have had to say something like this... :lol:

“Oh well,” Kane pushed Gracen’s lifeless body aside. “We’ve done what Aran wanted, found out his information. I just wonder what he’ll want us to do next.”

“Wait!” Even Benny could not explain why he stopped so suddenly; he just had a very strong feeling that something wasn’t quite right. The rest paused, puzzled, as the shapeshifter looked around him, trying to work out what was troubling him.

Yep, thought something was getting to him...

“An ambush,” Kane muttered. “Prepare yourselves.”

“The cloth,” Benny suddenly understood. “A warning. But who…?” He shook his head, knowing that now was not the time to ponder. Now was the time for battle.

“We have come to collect Edwin Odesseiron!” One of them stated firmly. “And to claim revenge for the death of Degardan.”

Again...

“Don’t your kind ever give up?” Kane spat. “You are not having him, it is that simple. He is our companion and he is staying with us!”

My thoughts exactly...

“This is your last warning, Bhaalspawn! Do not interfere with what must be done. Allow us to take him and we will spare your miserable lives. Stand aside!”

“Well said.” Kane’s scowl deepened. “You can go without Edwin, or you can fight us and get yourselves killed. “It matters little to me.”

“Aye, blasted wizards!” Kagain spat. “Ye want our Edwin, come an’ get ‘im!”

All for one and one for all!! Dwarves party!! :twisted:

:lol: These two kill me... And others too... :lol:

However, it was obvious right from the beginning that the wizards had the upper hand. Not only had they appeared unexpectedly, but they had also cast protection spells on themselves before teleporting in. Although one paused to cast a fire shield around himself, three of them immediately began hurling offensive spells around. Edwin and Viconia, assuming the roles of spellcasters, attempted to stay back, as out of the way as possible, while the others were left with no choice but to go in, each targeting one wizard and trying to break away the layers of stoneskin that surrounded him.

One sent out a web spell and Kagain and Cory cursed loudly as they found themselves caught in the sticky stuff. But after hacking through it with their weapons, they were soon free, though their delay gave the two wizards time to hit Korgan with two magic missiles. Another wizard sent out a lightning bolt and three skeletons suddenly appeared. It was soon complete madness, with spells flying everywhere and the adventurers doing their best to dodge or deflect whatever they could.

Meanwhile, Edwin was trying to lower the wizard’s defences and destroy the skeletons before they could become too much of a nuisance. Viconia cast a few spells, dispel, resist fear and resist fire, to aid her companions, before turning to summoning bolts of lightning from the sky. The first hit two wizards and did nothing more than strip away more layers of their magical protection, but the second caused fried one of them alive, giving her the first kill. Satisfied, the drow took up her mace and went to join the main battle, where summoned monsters were now getting involved too, causing yet more chaos. There was a sudden grunt as an ogre fell, a clatter as the final skeleton collapsed in a heap of bones and a cry of rage from Korgan as two wizards took the opportunity to renew their protection spells.

They were split now, Cory and the dwarves on one side, battling with the summoned monsters, with Viconia, Kane and Benny trying to deal with two of the wizards. Edwin conjured a flame arrow and smiled as it slammed into one of the wizard’s ribs.

“Where are the other two bastards?” he thought he heard Kane ask, though it was difficult to hear anything above the sounds of shouting and fighting. In any case, he paid little attention, scowling and sending out another magic missile as he heard his lover cry out in pain. They could do what they liked to him, but he wasn’t going to put up with them hurting Kane. Not ever.

Nice battle, all the way up until the end... Edwin Move!!

Thanks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com