When did Arcalian leave?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Janus_*

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:03 PM

And why? I typically came around as a guest every month or so to catch up, but I haven't seen him in a year or two it seems. I did a search on the subject, but nothing came up. His was one of three stories here I actively read, with the others not interesting me as much due to the theme.

if 'it is none of my business' someone can say so, but I still have to ask since adrian was my favorite story.

#2 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

He left some time last year. One reason was because he wasn't getting any replies to his story. He left like he was being ignored. I loved his story and was very sad to see him go. I talked to him for a while and he said he's not going to continue the story.

#3 Guest_Kelarin_*

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

I was also pretty saddened about that. I'd been actively following the Adrian series on the mini-site since before I heard of the Attic. I actually got linked there from Laufey's In the Cards. I actually think I started reading it more than Laufey's, though that was partly because of the chapter size. I could more easily take the time for one Adrain chapter, then one ItC(In the Cards) chapter.

Very sad in the end :)

Here's the thread where he stated his intentions to leave, and reasons for it.

#4 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

The sad fact is that Arcalian had gotten rather, ah, dictatorial about what he considered 'proper' storylines. At one time I considered him one of the people I was friendly with on the board. That cooled when he sent me a PM demanding to know how A Cappella ended, because if it didn't turn out to his satisfaction, he wasn't going to continue reading it.

I told him that even my betas didn't know the ending of AC, and I wasn't giving anyone permission to turn to the last page, so to speak. He evidently continued reading it for a time, because when a certain event happened he went into a rant over it. He never commented again, so I don't know if he ever read the later chapters to find out that AC did indeed turn out the way he wanted it to.

From his assorted comments, I can only conclude that Arcalian wanted his reading to be like an amusement park ride - with thrills and scares, but tempered with the knowledge in the back of his mind that they were an illusion. That in reality, everything was safe and would turn out all right. And it is certainly his right to have that preference. But it was unrealistic of him to expect the rest of us to share that opinion.

For myself, I find that incredibly dull. When I am reading a story that involves risk, I want the risk to be real. For instance, I could never warm up to the movie Labyrinth because I never felt that the protagonist was ever in any real danger. The "everything will turn out for the best" was too obvious a foregone conclusion. If the dangers aren't real, it takes all the suspense and anticipation out of the story. Then you just have untouchable Mary Sues and Gary Stus going about their uber-wonderful business.

#5 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:17 AM

*nod*

He'd get mad and rant if other people's stories contained things he didn't like, and his reactions were quite unpredictable and unreasonable. He hated Peri sleeping with Saemon, Evil Aerie, when he thought I killed Sarevok in the end of my story, Silrana's redemption of Balthazar, Ananke's Edwin and who knows what else. He felt somehow personally violated for obscure reasons and blamed the writers for not caring for the characters, being intentionally mean and so on.

I tried to be kind to him and discuss it, but it didn't seem to work. Too bad, but he chose his own fate. As for not commenting, I have had trouble keeping up with the Attic in general for some years already, so it has never been personal.

#6 Guest_Reality-Helix_*

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:01 PM

All I know is that he left some sort of angry rant on the water cooler that seemed to be alternately claiming that some of the other writers were somehow evil for doing things in one way, and then claiming the "credit" so it were, for giving those writers their ideas in the first place. It was all rather confusing.

And for certain, though I was not directly involved, I was very deeply offended by the entire thing. I mean, he named names, and specific events and everything.

#7 Guest_Janus_*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

So, here I am back years later. After Looking at BG:EE I had a desire to reread the originaal Adrian story. Does anyone know where I can find it?

#8 Guest_Blue-Inked_Frost_*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

The search function on the board should work okay, especially for the latter parts of Adrian - topics started by Arcalian. But for ease of reading, it's also here - http://www.gamejag.n...rian/index.html , with links to the subsequent parts too. :)

Arcalian's also on deviantArt under the same name. I don't mean to sound snoopy; it is the same name and all, and those Attic pages with the stories on them were probably the first thing I found on this site.

#9 Guest_Blue-Inked_Frost_*

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Now I realise this seems more than slightly weird, but I was messing around with scripts earlier, and based on what I did then I realised I could muck around some more to create the attachment. :) (I didn't do any more crawling of this site.)

For your pleasure and a brief programming exercise for me, Janus - a hyperlinked list of topics with 'Adrian' in the title made by poster Arcalian, sorted by date of topic posted. Sorry about the badly formatted summaries! See post attachment.

Attached Files

Edited by Blue-Inked_Frost, 07 December 2012 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com