About Blood 26

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 11 November 2003 - 01:06 AM

Okay, taken some artistic liberties with this, but really, it doesn't matter WHAT uniform the ass in question wears, does it? I also ignored the mercenaries. Find it a bit strange that we get mercenaries directly from the Iron Throne itself even when we hardly started our little crusade against them. How the heck did they get there so fast after Mulahey's death?

Anyway, another chapter that I hope works. If you feel it needs re-vamping, tell me, because these chapters are (still) crucial ones.

Also, sorry for the delay, but I had practice lessons, and while teaching is a blast, making leson preparations is... less fun.

“Hey… it’s still night?” Talek looked at the sky as the small party returned to the surface. “I thought it’d be noon right now.”

“Sleeping around in dungeons can do that to ye.” Montaron nodded. “Should be dawn in a while. Better make camp somewhere anyway. The wizard is out of spells and ye look a bit beat up yerself.”

Talek rubbed some places where Mulahey had hit him and nodded. “Yeah, I could do with a bit of a rest.” He looked down at his bloodcoated armour. “And a wash. Can we find a place by a river or something?”

A river was found nearby and camp was made. Talek eagerly shed his armour and clothes and jumped into the cold water, shaking the water out of his hair before reaching for the jar to wash his hair. Montaron just bend over the water, cleaning the wound on his forehead before bandaging it while Xzar started making a fire, getting suspicious looks from the halfling. A few minutes later they set up the tents, Talek started cleaning and performing field-repair on his armour and weapons, sitting in his breeches as his washed clothes were drying near the campfire, while Montaron inspected the party’s gold and Xzar studied his spell book in concentration. Finally, Talek finished his maintenance and took his own book, together with the two vials of ink and a quill, from his backpack and started drawing again. After a while Montaron put the gold away again and looked at Talek. The fire illuminated the boy’s face and revealed an angry face, staring holes in the parchment as he scratched on it with the white feather. He walked up beside him and looked at the picture that was forming.

The halfling whistled. “Hey, you’re not half bad… Looks just like her.”

Talek jerked slightly. It seemed he hadn’t even noticed the halfling. His hand twitched a bit and the sword piercing Jaheira’s throat suddenly had a dent in it. Talek cursed softly and looked reproachfully at the halfling. “Montaron, don’t sneak up on me while I’m drawing.”

“Wasn’t exactly sneaking up on ye. Still… nice detail. We can see what’s on yer mind eh?”

Talek glared at the dying Jaheira on the parchment. “Yeah… Gonna do the other one as well. I’m not gonna do it for real, but I can do it here.”

Montaron shrugged. “If that’s what ye want, I still wish ye’d have killed them. The druid ain’t the kind to give up easily.”

“I TOLD you Montaron. I’m not going to kill her. I’m not going to kill anyone if I can avoid it. Besides, Imoen likes them and….”

Montaron made a warning gesture. “Quiet… someone is coming.” He reached for his crossbow, Talek reached for his sword with his free hand, Xzar readied spell components as he put down his book.

A figure came running towards them. There was the sound of exhausted panting. Montaron aimed his crossbow at it and uttered a warning.

The answer came in an accented female voice. “Please…. no.. I mean no harm… I need help…” She stopped at the end of the circle of light. In the dim light of the pre-dawn the contours of an elvish female, dressed in a cloak with a cowl covering her face could be made out.

Montaron didn’t lower his crossbow. “Do I look like an Ilmaterite to you?”

Talek ignored Montaron and smiled. “Sure, sit down and explain.” The woman hesitated, looking at the halfling’s crossbow. Talek casually pulled the crossbow upwards as his left hand played with the quill. “Don’t be an ass, Montaron. She needs help.”

“When people are running like that, they’re usually pursued, and I don’t fancy a fight right now.” He stared at Talek but didn’t aim his crossbow again.

“Please…” The female voice sounded desperate. “Yes.. I am followed. But it’s only one man. He’ll kill me! Help me… I’ll do anything!”

“Don’t worry. I think we’re capable of getting rid of one more evil bastard today. And don’t mind Montaron. He greets everyone by aiming at them with his crossbow.” He laughed.

The woman walked into the circle of light. Despite the cowl it was clear that her skin had a skin that was dark-blue, almost black. Montaron’s eyes widened. “Oh, that’s rich. It’s a drow! Forget it, Talek! More trouble then it’s worth and nobody’s gonna thank ye for saving a drow.”

Xzar sniggered. “She’s got the signs of another god then Lolth, so even the other Drow’ll want to kill her…. bit by painfully small bit. You don’t mind if I use your blood after you’re done with it? Drow blood is OH so handy! You just gotta be careful not to spill it. It stains, and magic doesn’t work on it.

The drow woman’s eyes lit up with fear and she looked behind her as if she expected something, then turned to Montaron. “You are wounded! I… I know healing spells.” She swallowed. “Not to mention… other drow skills.” She gave Talek a meaningful look.

Talek furrowed his brow in concentration before his face lit up. “I remember. Specialities of the drow: adamantine smithing and potion brewing.” Montaron groaned. The drow had a confused look on her face. Talek cut any reply off with a dismissive gesture. “Anyway… don’t worry.” He quickly slipped in his chainmail and donned his gauntlets. “I got ya covered.”

Montaron rolled his eyes as the drow walked forward, putting herself so that Talek was between her and the direction she came from. Keeping his eyes on her he spoke “So, who exactly is drow-hunting?”

The woman sat near the fire and started catching her breath. In the light it was visible that her tunic was covered in sweat and despite the fire and her cloak with cowl, she shivered as the cooling sweat cling to her. Despite her exhaustion and worry she managed to speak with a proud edge though. “Some rivvil, human near the town in the east looked at me just as the wind took off my cowl. He attacked me and I had to run.” She panted. “I’ve been running from him for hours, but he doesn’t let go.”

Montaron raised an eyebrow. “Say, did the guy wear a helmet with big wings on them and red clothes?”

The drow nodded. “Yes, how do you know?”

Xzar giggled. “Criminal, criminal… she’s a naughty, naughty criminal!”

Montaron gave a small chuckle as well. “Hey, boy. Sorry to interrupt your attempt at heroism, but yer damsel in distress is running from the law.”

“Huh?” Talek turned around as he buckled the belt his sword hang on.

The woman shook her head. “No, I did nothing wrong! I swear! I fled out of the lands to the north for the same reasons. I just arrived here.”

The sounds of someone coming closer started to be audible. “Ho there… I am a soldier of Amn. Do not fear if you are good citizens.” The voice yelled from the shadows.

“Heh, don’t worry. As long as my sword doesn’t break, I can take him down no…” Talek’s voice died on the last syllables as he looked at his sword. As the figure fo an armoured man appeared, he undid the belt and let the sword drop on the ground, reaching down and grabbing the quill instead, then walked forward, left hand holding the feather, right hand open in a peaceful gesture, with only his hunting knife at his side..

“Boy, what are ye doing?” Montaron hissed.

“What’s wrong with him? Has he gone mad?” The woman asked

Montaron shook his head. “Worse, he’s trying to ‘be good’” He kept his crossbow hidden as Talek welcomed the Amnish soldier on the edge of the campfire.

The soldier walking forward had his sword at the ready, looking tired as well, though nowhhere near the exhaustion of the drow. He gave him a suspicious look before his eyes found the her. “I have come for the drow, citizen. Please do not interfere as I deal with her.”

“Whow, whow, whow.” Talek made calming gestures. “Let’s not be hasty eh? What do you think she’s done?”

The soldier looked at him as if he asked where the sun came up. “She’s a DROW. I don’t know the specifics, but I’m sure that we’ll be able to find SOME things she’s done soon enough.”

Talek kept his smile going. Behind his back he was softly stroking the white feather with the gauntletted hand. “But she says she has done nothing wrong.”

The Amnish soldier gave him a look of contempt. “Oh… okay, the drow says she’s done nothing wrong. That makes everything all right then doesn’t it?”

Montaron silently whispered to himself. “Don’t use sarcasm…”

Talek beamed. “Yeah! See? Should just have asked.”

The soldier scoffed. “Are all you Northeners so stupid, or are you just an extremely girly looking half-orc? Maybe marrying whatever creature crawled out of a hole is fashionable in Baldur’s Gate, but here in the south we do things a bit differently.”

Talek’s face grew darker, despite the smile. Behind his back he twirled the feather to calm himself down. “Look, maybe I’m not a bloody genius, but I still say…”

“I don’t care WHAT you say you northern trash!” The soldier seemed encouraged by Talek’s lack of weaponry. “You hicks shouldn’t go around coming to Amn telling us how to deal with our monsters! You got plenty of them yourself!”

At the insults Talek’s smile twitched. The feather was bent for a moment before being hastily stroked and twirled again. “She’s… hardly a monster, is she?”

“After you’ve had your home village vanishing in the Underdark to feed to their spiders, then come talking to me about monsters, BOY!” The soldier snarled.

Twirl, twirl, stroke.

“Look….” Talek kept the smile going and breathed deeply. “I’m sorry what happened, but it’s not like she personally did it right? Gori… my father always said to judge people by their act…”

“…I don’t care WHAT whatever sorry excuse for a human spawned you said. The drow dies as she should, here and now.”

Twirl, bend, bend, twirl, stroke

“My father was a wise, good and respectable man and a GREAT wizard.” Talek said. The smile had slipped and made place for a scowl again. Behind him he heard Montaron whisper something about Amn and wizards.

“Oh, you’re taking pride your dad is a wizard? A powerhungry, corrupt, meddling fool. We should kill them all, including those cowled bastards and be done with it.”

Bend, bend, bend. The feather was kept at breaking point.

Talek’s hand reflexively went for his sword, finding nothing at his waist. He had his teeth bared now and his eyes were shooting fire at the soldier. Behind him Montaron kept his crossbow ready, and Viconia and Xzar were also watching the situation warily. The man raised his shield reflexively. “You dare to attack me?”

Bend… stroke, stroke, stroke

Talek released his breath “I…. don’t want a fight.” Despite his attempts it sounded like a snarl. “Let’s just… talk about this.”

“With your little companion aiming his crossbow? Funny way of talking.” The soldier didn’t drop his guard.”

Twirl, stroke stroke

“Montaron, drop the crossbow!”

“Boy, I don’t think…”

Bend

“DROP IT!” Talek snarled

Montaron made a disgusted noise and unloaded and dropped his crossbow, mumbling something about it being out of his hands. The soldier released his guard slightly, an arrogant smirk on his face.

Talek struggled and managed another smile, though his eyes didn’t fit it. “Now, how about… we’ll keep an eye on her? Make sure she doesn’t do anything and stuff?” There was an insulted look on the drow’s face and an enraged stare from the halfling. Xzar making scary faces and waving his spellbook at the soldier, making grandiose pseudo-magical gestures.

The soldier gave the group a sweeping look. “And why in the nine hells should I trust any of you? You’re a bunch of brigands for all I know.”

Bend, twirl, bend, stroke.

The smile was short-lived “Hey! We just saved that bloody village you come from! Risked our lives down in the mines!”

“Wait…. You are…” The soldier’s eyes widened.

Stroke, stroke, stroke

“Yep, Talek Gorionson.” This time Talek’s smile did reach his eye.

“You’re the black-souled abomination the priest in the village talked about!” The drow frowned in confusion, Montaron rolled his eyes, Xzar giggled

Talek just stood there with his mouth open. The left hand with the feather had frozen.

With a swift movement the soldier’s sword was held close to Talek’s neck. “Let me put it this way then. Hand over the drow, or I’ll consider you on their side.”

Snap.

Talek’s armoured fist caused the quill to break cleanly in two.

The long haired fighter bowed his head and spoke almost to soft to hear. “Fine”

The woman’s eyes widened and she looked at Montaron, but his face clearly showed that she shouldn’t expect help from his direction, and the necromancer started singing a sing-song about dead drow. The Amnish soldier looked smug as he looked at her in victory.

“FINE!”

That was his first mistake. In his arrogance he wasn’t fast enough to cut Talek’s throat when the unarmed youth screamed, and the gauntletted hand swatted the sword away. His second mistake was staying shocked long enough for Talek’s left fist, still with the broken feather, to land in the unprotected area of his face. His third mistake was dropping his sword. He didn’t need to make a third mistake. Talek unleashed a barrage of punches and kicks, finding the places the armour didn’t protect and tearing the helm off.

“My whole LIFE, I’ve been TRYING to play by your rules” He smashed the Soldier face first in a nearby tree. The broken feather had been released and was fluttering in the fury of movement.

“Wasn’t able to SLEEP at night because I didn’t do stuff I wanted; because I wanted to SHOW you….” He drove his elbow in the back of the man’s head.

“Wanted to SHOW you that you were wrong, that I WAS a good person, that I COULD play nice.” He pulled the man’s head back by the chestnut hair and stared in his face.

“And what did you do… what did you all do?” He slammed the man’s face against the bark, hard. “YOU SPIT IT IN MY FACE!”

The guard shook unsteadily on his legs as his face was pushed against the trees, Talek’s right arm pinning him, in place.

Talek’s voice went quiet now, but still burned with anger. “I’ve tried. I’ve tried years and years.” He took out his belt knife with his left hand. The soldier seemed to sense the undertone and struggled harder “And now I’m done trying.”

With a short scream Talek drove the knife underneath the platemail, the links in the chainmail were torn apart, the clothing gave out and then skin and flesh were pierced. The soldier gave a short, relatively quiet cry, then sunk to the ground.

Talek took out the knife and looked as the blood started to form a puddle in the earth at his feet. He looked to the side where the halfling, the wizard and the drow were staring in stunned shock. There was also something on his shoulder. With a quick gesture of the knife the broken white feather fluttered of his shoulder in the puddle of blood.

He smiled at the drow. There was no malice or anger in it anymore, only satisfaction and some curiosity. “Hey, the name’s Talek Gorionson, apparently murderer, probably evil and perhaps inhuman and or insane, blackstained soul optional…”

The drow woman quickly recovered from the shock and managed to look regal despite her dirty clothes and exhaustion. “I am Viconia of house deVir of Ched Nasad. In exile for defiance against Llolth, and now a priestess of the Nightsinger.”

“With exile ye mean ‘on the run’ I presume.” Montaron said. Viconia ignored this.

So did Talek. “Well, I’m researching the iron crisis in this land to find the bastard who killed my father and wipe him off the face of Faerûn as soon as possible. You wanna come?”

“What?!” Montaron and Xzar exclaimed at the same time.

“No. I don’t want her to come. I don’t like Shar. She’s mean. She’s almost as bad as mommy, except she wants to kill us all and be alone forever, and mommy wants to kill us one by one forever and I want me to live forever and those two wishes are mutiually exclusive and I bet she probably doesn’t even like the pretty lights of the necromantic energy.” The necromacer rambled. “besides, you should stay away from gods, Talek, really far.”

“Oh come on.” Talek said. “They can’t all hate me.”

“Boy,” Montaron started “She’s drow. Now I know yer dad probably said a lot of things of judging people on their actions, but if that action is a dagger in your back, that’s a bit too late. They’re drow. They grow up with backstabbing, scheming and pretending. All yer favourite subjects. It’s bloody hard enough to find anyone to trust farther then ye can throw among yer own kind. Ye DON’T want to challenge the odds this way.”

Talek gave a smile. “Montaron, ye distrust EVERYONE.”

“Talek… She grew UP down there. Llolth or not, she’d probably kill her own brother to get ahead.”

“You speak of things you don’t understand sakphul.” Viconia sounded vehement.

“Full of what?” Xzar piped up, but he was ignored.

Talek made a calming gesture. “Come on people. Let’s at least sleep on it.” He didn’t wait for an answer and looked at the tents. There were two of them. Imoen had insisted he’d take the one of them, as she and the Harpers only needed to get back to town. “So, euh… who’s gonna sleep where?”

After some more discussion, it was decided Talek and Xzar would sleep in Talek’s tent. Viconia and Montaron would sleep in the Zhentarim’s tent. As it was Montaron who suggested the arrangements, the drow gave him a challenging look, which Montaron ignored. As the Sharran needed only four hours of meditation, it was decided, also by Montaron, that she would have second guard, while the thief took the first guard.

Since the drow had retreated in the tent for the upcoming dawn, and Xzar had retreated into his tent as well, only Montaron and Talek were outside. Talek was looking in the river where they had dumped the Amnian’s corpse.

“Ye’re not going to get all repentant on me, are ye boy?” The halfling asked.

“Nah…” Talek said. “I… I should have done this a long time ago. Well… maybe not in Candlekeep. I’m just… worried that it’ll hurt Imoen….”

“She doesn’t need to know.” Montaron offered.

“I’m NOT hiding stuff from Imoen!” Talek said vehemently. “We’ll just…. Deal with it. We always work things out. And the deal with not killing Jaheira and Khalid and not telling they’re Ha… you know what is still on.”

Montaron poked in the fire. It was dying, and the dawn was so close that putting wood on would be a waste. “As ye wish. Now get to sleep. We’ll wake around noon to head back to Nashkel. And if the necromancer starts talking and screaming in his sleep, do NOT wake him up.”

Talek nodded and headed for the tent when there was a stream of light from behind him. He looked over his shoulder and saw the sun coming up. From the other tent came the sound of a drow cursing the dawn, the sun and asking Shar forgiveness that she prayed for spells at the wrong time, while Xzar was already softly snoring .

He looked at the sunrise and nodded to i, as if in greeting. “We’ll work things out Imoen. Even if you’re good and I’m not, we’ll work things out.”
[/i]

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 11 November 2003 - 05:44 PM

Crap! I already made the comments, but the connection failed once again… ok, I’m trying to re-write everything again. Sigh…

Okay, taken some artistic liberties with this, but really, it doesn't matter WHAT uniform the ass in question wears, does it? I also ignored the mercenaries. Find it a bit strange that we get mercenaries directly from the Iron Throne itself even when we hardly started our little crusade against them. How the heck did they get there so fast after Mulahey's death?

Ah, you mean those amazons at the mine exit? Yeah, I see your point…

Also, sorry for the delay, but I had practice lessons, and while teaching is a blast, making leson preparations is... less fun.

What’s your subject, btw? I also studied to become a teacher (Maths! AAARGH! :wink:)… I got the diploma, but didn’t become a teacher…

Talek jerked slightly. It seemed he hadn’t even noticed the halfling. His hand twitched a bit and the sword piercing Jaheira’s throat suddenly had a dent in it. Talek cursed softly and looked reproachfully at the halfling. “Montaron, don’t sneak up on me while I’m drawing.”

“Wasn’t exactly sneaking up on ye. Still… nice detail. We can see what’s on yer mind eh?”

Talek glared at the dying Jaheira on the parchment. “Yeah… Gonna do the other one as well. I’m not gonna do it for real, but I can do it here.”

Theo: Hey! I’ll kill that bast-

Scribe: Whoa, stow it, boy. Why don’t you draw some of the things that you would like to do with Jaheira?

Theo: Oh… OH! :D :wink:

Actually, it’s not a bad way to work out his frustrations, as no one gets hurt by that (unless Jaheira sees that picture!)… though, his reaction is pretty radical, after all I don’t think Talek actually thinks that Jaheira tried to kill him.

Montaron shrugged. “If that’s what ye want, I still wish ye’d have killed them. The druid ain’t the kind to give up easily.”

“I TOLD you Montaron. I’m not going to kill her. I’m not going to kill anyone if I can avoid it. Besides, Imoen likes them and….”

Yeah, make sure that you stick to these words, Talek. :(

The answer came in an accented female voice. “Please…. no.. I mean no harm… I need help…” She stopped at the end of the circle of light. In the dim light of the pre-dawn the contours of an elvish female, dressed in a cloak with a cowl covering her face could be made out.

Heh, with Talek’s suicidal tactics, he sure wouldn’t last long without a healer…

The drow woman’s eyes lit up with fear and she looked behind her as if she expected something, then turned to Montaron. “You are wounded! I… I know healing spells.” She swallowed. “Not to mention… other drow skills.” She gave Talek a meaningful look.

Yeah, that’s Viconia alright. Offering her body not even a minute after her arrival…

Talek furrowed his brow in concentration before his face lit up. “I remember. Specialities of the drow: adamantine smithing and potion brewing.” Montaron groaned. The drow had a confused look on her face. Talek cut any reply off with a dismissive gesture. “Anyway… don’t worry.” He quickly slipped in his chainmail and donned his gauntlets. “I got ya covered.”

LOL! Poor Vic has a pretty clueless male on her hands. Always puzzles me why the surfacers think that drow females are skilled in the ways of erotic arts, when the drow society is bent on the male obeying and pleasing the female, so the female would be pretty clueless on how to please a male.

The sounds of someone coming closer started to be audible. “Ho there… I am a soldier of Amn. Do not fear if you are good citizens.” The voice yelled from the shadows.

So you moved Viconia from Peldvale to near Nashkel, and instead of being chased by a FF guy, she is being chased by an Amnish soldier? I don’t see why not.

The soldier looked at him as if he asked where the sun came up. “She’s a DROW. I don’t know the specifics, but I’m sure that we’ll be able to find SOME things she’s done soon enough.”

Well, iirc, the FF guy did say that Viconia murdered a family of farmers nearby (or did he only say it if he was charmed?), but of course, if the soldier had presented Talek with a proof, he would have done the *right* thing and handed her over – after all, he’s trying to be good.

“I don’t care WHAT you say you northern trash!” The soldier seemed encouraged by Talek’s lack of weaponry. “You hicks shouldn’t go around coming to Amn telling us how to deal with our monsters! You got plenty of them yourself!”

At the insults Talek’s smile twitched. The feather was bent for a moment before being hastily stroked and twirled again. “She’s… hardly a monster, is she?”

“After you’ve had your home village vanishing in the Underdark to feed to their spiders, then come talking to me about monsters, BOY!” The soldier snarled.

Not only the Amnish are terrible snobs, they are idiot snobs on top of that.

“You’re the black-souled abomination the priest in the village talked about!” The drow frowned in confusion, Montaron rolled his eyes, Xzar giggled

I suppose the idiot has not been keeping up to the latest news. Talek is supposed to be a hero now…

With a short scream Talek drove the knife underneath the platemail, the links in the chainmail were torn apart, the clothing gave out and then skin and flesh were pierced. The soldier gave a short, relatively quiet cry, then sunk to the ground.

Overall, not giving Viconia to a racist soldier for an execution without a trial, is the right thing to do… but the way Talek went about it, will only convince him that trying to be good doesn’t pay off and being evil is much easier…

He smiled at the drow. There was no malice or anger in it anymore, only satisfaction and some curiosity. “Hey, the name’s Talek Gorionson, apparently murderer, probably evil and perhaps inhuman and or insane, blackstained soul optional…”

Well, even if he isn’t all that yet, he will probably become all that soon…

“No. I don’t want her to come. I don’t like Shar. She’s mean. She’s almost as bad as mommy, except she wants to kill us all and be alone forever, and mommy wants to kill us one by one forever and I want me to live forever and those two wishes are mutiually exclusive and I bet she probably doesn’t even like the pretty lights of the necromantic energy.” The necromacer rambled. “besides, you should stay away from gods, Talek, really far.”

Wonder if your Viconia will be a true Sharran, with all the ritual murders and sacrifices? :wink:

“Talek… She grew UP down there. Llolth or not, she’d probably kill her own brother to get ahead.”

Not brother, foolish Halfling. All males are beneath (:)) her… but she probably killed some of her sisters…

After some more discussion, it was decided Talek and Xzar would sleep in Talek’s tent. Viconia and Montaron would sleep in the Zhentarim’s tent. As it was Montaron who suggested the arrangements, the drow gave him a challenging look, which Montaron ignored. As the Sharran needed only four hours of meditation, it was decided, also by Montaron, that she would have second guard, while the thief took the first guard.

LOL! Is Monty fancying his chances with Viconia? Ha! I’m still unsure if I can see Viconia being interested in Talek… but once she learns of his heritage and those prophecies, the power he has inside… who knows?

“I’m NOT hiding stuff from Imoen!” Talek said vehemently. “We’ll just…. Deal with it. We always work things out. And the deal with not killing Jaheira and Khalid and not telling they’re Ha… you know what is still on.”

And it better stays on! :(

He looked at the sunrise and nodded to i, as if in greeting. “We’ll work things out Imoen. Even if you’re good and I’m not, we’ll work things out.”
[/i]

Like how? :( :(

Nice chapter, I didn’t see any logical inconsistencies. :)

#3 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 11 November 2003 - 06:21 PM

Crap! I already made the comments, but the connection failed once again… ok, I’m trying to re-write everything again. Sigh…

Ah, you mean those amazons at the mine exit? Yeah, I see your point…

Express-assassins. Your target dead within 30 minutes or it's free!

What’s your subject, btw? I also studied to become a teacher (Maths! AAARGH! :D)… I got the diploma, but didn’t become a teacher…

English, Latin and history for 12-14 year olds. And I am planing to become a teacher. Unless I become a succesful writer of course. Who knows.

Theo: Hey! I’ll kill that bast-

Scribe: Whoa, stow it, boy. Why don’t you draw some of the things that you would like to do with Jaheira?

Theo: Oh… OH! :( :wink:

:) I see Theodur and Talek will become REALLY good friends.

Actually, it’s not a bad way to work out his frustrations, as no one gets hurt by that (unless Jaheira sees that picture!)… though, his reaction is pretty radical, after all I don’t think Talek actually thinks that Jaheira tried to kill him.

No, but she did show herself to be 'one of those people' (those that think he's a murderer and unworthy of Gorion) and he's got years of frustrated anger regarding that group. Jaheira is just the latest addition, the fact that she seemed like a friend only deepens the ahtred. Not to mention, Talek is not really Mr. Rational thinker. He hates her and Khalid, and that's it.

Yeah, make sure that you stick to these words, Talek. :(

Heh, Jaheira won't die in the near future, but Talek will hurt her now and then.

Heh, with Talek’s suicidal tactics, he sure wouldn’t last long without a healer…

:( not really.

Yeah, that’s Viconia alright. Offering her body not even a minute after her arrival…

Heh, with that soldier on your tail, you don't have ttime for date and diner eh? :(

LOL! Poor Vic has a pretty clueless male on her hands. Always puzzles me why the surfacers think that drow females are skilled in the ways of erotic arts, when the drow society is bent on the male obeying and pleasing the female, so the female would be pretty clueless on how to please a male.

Euh.... they're exotic? Wasn't there a thing that all cultures ALWAYS assume the people of other cultures are better lovers then their own?

So you moved Viconia from Peldvale to near Nashkel, and instead of being chased by a FF guy, she is being chased by an Amnish soldier? I don’t see why not.

Yep, not like it's important for the plot.

Well, iirc, the FF guy did say that Viconia murdered a family of farmers nearby (or did he only say it if he was charmed?), but of course, if the soldier had presented Talek with a proof, he would have done the *right* thing and handed her over – after all, he’s trying to be good.

He'd be troubles. On one hand, Talek wants to be good, on the other hand, he despises betraying trust as much as a Helmite.

Not only the Amnish are terrible snobs, they are idiot snobs on top of that.

If Talek wasn't unarmed and 'being good' the fight would have started by now.

I suppose the idiot has not been keeping up to the latest news. Talek is supposed to be a hero now…

He has been pursueing Viconia for the last hours. Besides, 'hero' is't really the oppinion regarding Talek. With the rumour mill on full steam, most people probably assume he's in league with the evil somehow, or maybe an agent of another, maybe worse evil. Then here is Noober's 'dissappearance'

Overall, not giving Viconia to a racist soldier for an execution without a trial, is the right thing to do… but the way Talek went about it, will only convince him that trying to be good doesn’t pay off and being evil is much easier…

Talek: And more fun!
Yes, basically this was a last test. If he was really, really good, what would happen? Answer: He still called scum, and he is unarmed when people shove a sword against his neck.

Well, even if he isn’t all that yet, he will probably become all that soon…

It's time for another dream isn't it? :wink:

Wonder if your Viconia will be a true Sharran, with all the ritual murders and sacrifices? :wink:

Well, my Realms-fu isn't as strong as you, but I know Shar is a pretty seriously evil diety. Also, Talek really seems like the ideal 'rube' for a Sharan. He almost doesn't NEED a cleric to encourage him into bitterness vengeance. He's entirely capable of it himself.

Not brother, foolish Halfling. All males are beneath (:D) her… but she probably killed some of her sisters…

Hmm... didn't think of that. And Viconia HAS killed sisters. She says as much in the game. But the 'brother' is an attempt to dissuade Talek from taking her, and a way for me to have Montaron hit a tender spot.

LOL! Is Monty fancying his chances with Viconia? Ha! I’m still unsure if I can see Viconia being interested in Talek… but once she learns of his heritage and those prophecies, the power he has inside… who knows?

Heh, nah, Montaron just wants to keep a close eye on her. It's strange really, I never made Montaron out to be the lecherous type. And yeah, Talek/Viconia is definately not gonna be love at first sight. (if I will do that. Another option occured to me, but it would mean a LOT fo changes in BG2, so... we'll see)

And it better stays on! :D

It will. However, Minsc and her witch are not under the same protection.

[/i]

Like how? :D :)

The power of brotherly/sisterly lurv.

Nice chapter, I didn’t see any logical inconsistencies. :D

Phew. I was hesitating a bit about having Talek be so 'cool' about the alignement shift (if there was one really) but getting a kill usually manages to quell the anger.

#4 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:42 PM

Woah! Don't have time for a full-length reply as dinner's on the cook (or burn) and I want to write with first impressions fresh in my mind... but I have to say that this chapter is probably one of my favourites - not just of About Blood, but of anything I've read written on the Attic. It embodies what makes Talek such a great protagonist, from little things like his marvellous cluelessness to the bigger issue of his wonderful darkness. It's fantastic that he's not evil and loving it, that he really WANTS (or thinks he wants?) to be good, just can't. And whilst I do see him possibly settling down and becoming more comfortable with any evil within him, right now he cuts a tremendously tragic figure. And I'm a sucker for tragic heroes.

Plus, you also didn't present the Viconia rescue as another insipid "Mindless racist guard rescues poor repressed drow" - whilst the Amnish soldier is clearly fanatical, there's also a lovely big question mark raised over the whole issue, and not just because of Talek's killing of the soldier. Not even Xzar will go near a Sharran? You know things have to be bad. :wink:

Plus the feather. Oooh, the feather. I swear, I got shivers at the bit with it falling into the pool of blood. Really, really wonderful. Symbolism rules. :wink:

So in short, me like. I looove Talek for all the reasons we love our anti-heroes (tough and tragic) as well as the reasons which are a little less common (adorably clueless, and his devotion to Imoen is touching). The party's great, and your Monty in particular hits the spot - I'm waiting with much glee to see how your Viconia fits in the party, as well as anyone else who pops along.

Wonderful indeed! Even if I don't always comment (and I'll certainly try to) I'm definitely reading this. Wonderful wonderfulness.

#5 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:43 PM

Woah! Don't have time for a full-length reply as dinner's on the cook (or burn) and I want to write with first impressions fresh in my mind... but I have to say that this chapter is probably one of my favourites - not just of About Blood, but of anything I've read written on the Attic.

:wink: Thanks. I'm very glad to hear it works, as the story worked towards this moment quite a bit, and I wasn't sure if I managed to pull it off.

It embodies what makes Talek such a great protagonist, from little things like his marvellous cluelessness to the bigger issue of his wonderful darkness. It's fantastic that he's not evil and loving it, that he really WANTS (or thinks he wants?) to be good, just can't. And whilst I do see him possibly settling down and becoming more comfortable with any evil within him, right now he cuts a tremendously tragic figure. And I'm a sucker for tragic heroes.

:D Great! I'm glad Talek is a character people like to read about. I wasn't really sure if a character like him would turn everyone off as soon as his immorality shine sthrough, so I'm happy it works. But yes, Talek is 'settling in' now. Of course, there's a lot deeper he can still sink.

Plus, you also didn't present the Viconia rescue as another insipid "Mindless racist guard rescues poor repressed drow" - whilst the Amnish soldier is clearly fanatical, there's also a lovely big question mark raised over the whole issue, and not just because of Talek's killing of the soldier. Not even Xzar will go near a Sharran? You know things have to be bad. :wink:

Well, I read some descriptions about Shar, and she seems to be evil with the best of 'em. Bane, Cyric, Llolth, and Shar can easily fit with them. Heck, Bane just wants everyone under his bootheel, Cyric wants everyone calling him the one true God, llolth wants her race to conquer the world. Shar wants everyone dead. Viconia won't be 'pure evil', but neither will I make her 'just a neutral good person who says strange things now and then' She doesn't kill children, and she doesn't like senseless murder, but it's not St. Viconia.

Plus the feather. Oooh, the feather. I swear, I got shivers at the bit with it falling into the pool of blood. Really, really wonderful. Symbolism rules. :wink:

YES! I was wondering whether I was pushing it with that feather, but the thought wouldn't let go, so I had a biiiiiig grin on my face when I heard you liked it.

So in short, me like. I looove Talek for all the reasons we love our anti-heroes (tough and tragic) as well as the reasons which are a little less common (adorably clueless, and his devotion to Imoen is touching).

Thanks. I just hope all his actions won't make him too hard to love.

The party's great, and your Monty in particular hits the spot - I'm waiting with much glee to see how your Viconia fits in the party, as well as anyone else who pops along.

Oooh... glad you like Monty. I like him as well. He's evil in a really down to earth way. Hm... maybe I should write a Montaron centered story somewhere.

Wonderful indeed! Even if I don't always comment (and I'll certainly try to) I'm definitely reading this. Wonderful wonderfulness.

Heh, I'm equally guilty of not commenting enough, including your story. (which I also read) And I feel pretty guilty about it, as I am an absolute sucker for them myself.

Oh yeah, if you like tragic heroes, you might also try 'Thicker then Water' by Bibbi. I liked it a lot.

#6 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:38 PM

“Hey… it’s still night?” Talek looked at the sky as the small party returned to the surface. “I thought it’d be noon right now.”

It could be the next night...someone needs to hurry up and invent the wrist watch. :D

Ah well, better to draw it than to actually do it, that's for sure.

Talek isn't exactly hard to read even when he isn't drawing. :wink:

;) Even drawing like this probably fuels the taint, though - but I guess Talek needs to relieve his feelings somehow.

Talek ignored Montaron and smiled. “Sure, sit down and explain.” The woman hesitated, looking at the halfling’s crossbow. Talek casually pulled the crossbow upwards as his left hand played with the quill. “Don’t be an ass, Montaron. She needs help.”

Or it could be a cunning plan to trick you into not being on your guard. Monty's going to have his work cut out to teach Talek some caution.

Heh, think that look's going to be lost on Talek. :wink:

The woman sat near the fire and started catching her breath. In the light it was visible that her tunic was covered in sweat and despite the fire and her cloak with cowl, she shivered as the cooling sweat cling to her. Despite her exhaustion and worry she managed to speak with a proud edge though. “Some rivvil, human near the town in the east looked at me just as the wind took off my cowl. He attacked me and I had to run.” She panted. “I’ve been running from him for hours, but he doesn’t let go.”

And given that Vic's con is about 6, chances are that she's going to tire long before the other guy. She's lucky she ran into Talek and co.

Montaron gave a small chuckle as well. “Hey, boy. Sorry to interrupt your attempt at heroism, but yer damsel in distress is running from the law.”

Well, so are you, after what happened in Beregost.

Montaron shook his head. “Worse, he’s trying to ‘be good’” He kept his crossbow hidden as Talek welcomed the Amnish soldier on the edge of the campfire.

Aw, give him a break, monty. He's had a hard day.

Talek kept his smile going. Behind his back he was softly stroking the white feather with the gauntletted hand. “But she says she has done nothing wrong.”

The Amnish soldier gave him a look of contempt. “Oh… okay, the drow says she’s done nothing wrong. That makes everything all right then doesn’t it?”

Despite Talek's best intentions, I can't see this ending well.

“My father was a wise, good and respectable man and a GREAT wizard.” Talek said. The smile had slipped and made place for a scowl again. Behind him he heard Montaron whisper something about Amn and wizards.

Bit late to tell him now, Monty. :wink:

This guy isn't worth the effort of being nice to, Talek.

Talek’s hand reflexively went for his sword, finding nothing at his waist. He had his teeth bared now and his eyes were shooting fire at the soldier. Behind him Montaron kept his crossbow ready, and Viconia and Xzar were also watching the situation warily. The man raised his shield reflexively. “You dare to attack me?”

Minor nitpick: I don't think you've actually intoduced Vic yet - she's just been 'the drow woman' until now.

Twirl, stroke stroke

This might be taking things a little far, Talek...

Talek struggled and managed another smile, though his eyes didn’t fit it. “Now, how about… we’ll keep an eye on her? Make sure she doesn’t do anything and stuff?” There was an insulted look on the drow’s face and an enraged stare from the halfling. Xzar making scary faces and waving his spellbook at the soldier, making grandiose pseudo-magical gestures.

Ah well, he gets credit for trying, however this works out.

“And what did you do… what did you all do?” He slammed the man’s face against the bark, hard. “YOU SPIT IT IN MY FACE!”

:) You shouldn't let one bastard discourage you though, Talek. Not everyone's the same.

:) Aw - poor Talek. Wish Immy was here to talk to him about this.

Wanna bet? :(

“Boy,” Montaron started “She’s drow. Now I know yer dad probably said a lot of things of judging people on their actions, but if that action is a dagger in your back, that’s a bit too late. They’re drow. They grow up with backstabbing, scheming and pretending. All yer favourite subjects. It’s bloody hard enough to find anyone to trust farther then ye can throw among yer own kind. Ye DON’T want to challenge the odds this way.”

Yep, you two counterbalance each other pretty well. :D

Now that's the wrong thing to say to Vic...

Montaron poked in the fire. It was dying, and the dawn was so close that putting wood on would be a waste. “As ye wish. Now get to sleep. We’ll wake around noon to head back to Nashkel. And if the necromancer starts talking and screaming in his sleep, do NOT wake him up.”

Heh, now that does sound like good advice.

[/i]

:( I hope so.

Nice chapter :lol:

#7 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:30 AM

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

It could be the next night...someone needs to hurry up and invent the wrist watch. :) [/quote]

Yep... especially if you don't have alot fo healing spells, you might lose track of seasons. (Snow? in the middle of the summer?). Still would look odd. Everyone wakes up, casts some healing spells. "Okay people, let's go to sleep again"

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Ah well, better to draw it than to actually do it, that's for sure. [/quote]

yep.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Talek isn't exactly hard to read even when he isn't drawing. :wink: [/quote]

I think that Montaron is gonna forbid Talek from coming within 200 miles of a poker table.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

:( Even drawing like this probably fuels the taint, though - but I guess Talek needs to relieve his feelings somehow. [/quote]

Yep. The drawing only relieves the anger though, the hatred keeps smolering.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Or it could be a cunning plan to trick you into not being on your guard. Monty's going to have his work cut out to teach Talek some caution. [/quote]

Teaching Talek is a job for the very patient.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Heh, think that look's going to be lost on Talek. :wink: [/quote]

She could strip and he'd just stare and ask her what she's doing. Or in anime style get a nosebleed and pass out.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

And given that Vic's con is about 6, chances are that she's going to tire long before the other guy. She's lucky she ran into Talek and co. [/quote]

Yep, so Vic really isn't in any state to do any fighting here.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Well, so are you, after what happened in Beregost. [/quote]

Yeah, but this is Amnish law. Besides, Talek is good remember? ;)

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Aw, give him a break, monty. He's had a hard day. [/quote]

Talek is just an expert in giving Montaron severe headaches.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Despite Talek's best intentions, I can't see this ending well. [/quote]

:wink:

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Bit late to tell him now, Monty. :D [/quote]

When dealing with Talek, assume he doesn't know the things everybody know.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

This guy isn't worth the effort of being nice to, Talek. [/quote]

As far as Talek sees, the world consists mostly out of people like him.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Minor nitpick: I don't think you've actually intoduced Vic yet - she's just been 'the drow woman' until now. [/quote]

Crap, you're right. And I thought I had weeded them all out.

[quote] [quote]
Twirl, stroke stroke
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

This might be taking things a little far, Talek... [/quote]

It's his conscience last stand. Killing now is giving up.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Ah well, he gets credit for trying, however this works out. [/quote]

Yes, because this was pretty quick after his "I'm not evil" speech, I wanted to make sure he DID make an honest attempt.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

:( You shouldn't let one bastard discourage you though, Talek. Not everyone's the same. [/quote]

It feels that way to Talek. After all, most everyone he met treated him like that. Candlekeep was a bad place for Talek to grow up.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

:( Aw - poor Talek. Wish Immy was here to talk to him about this. [/quote]

:( Next time Immy and Talek talk, lots of things will have happened.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Wanna bet? :P [/quote]

:lol: Well, after his little speech I think we can safely say he's off Helm's 'Christmas list'

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Yep, you two counterbalance each other pretty well. :D [/quote]

:D

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Now that's the wrong thing to say to Vic... [/quote]

Yep, luckily Vic isn't Talek. She'll be able to place that comment in context.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Heh, now that does sound like good advice. [/quote]

Montaron is nothing if not practical.

[quote] [quote]
[/i][/quote]

:( I hope so. [/quote]

Thanks for reading.

Nice chapter :)[/quote]

#8 Laufey

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:15 AM

Perhaps they had Scotty...I mean Winski...beam them down. :)

Anyway, another chapter that I hope works. If you feel it needs re-vamping, tell me, because these chapters are (still) crucial ones.

Oh yes, it worked very well for me. My heart bled for Talek, trying to be good this final time, and getting more or less spat in the face over it. That had to hurt really bad, so his bitterness feels very natural.

It's quite a good way to work out frustration, really.

Poor Viconia...

“Heh, don’t worry. As long as my sword doesn’t break, I can take him down no…” Talek’s voice died on the last syllables as he looked at his sword. As the figure fo an armoured man appeared, he undid the belt and let the sword drop on the ground, reaching down and grabbing the quill instead, then walked forward, left hand holding the feather, right hand open in a peaceful gesture, with only his hunting knife at his side..

:? This is really sad, knowing what's to happen.

Nooo...but in my book, being an officer of the law means *not* killing people on sight because of what colour they are.

Bad one...very bad one. Calling Talek a monster is *not* healthy.

Twirl, twirl, stroke.

Liked the way you used the feather.

“Look….” Talek kept the smile going and breathed deeply. “I’m sorry what happened, but it’s not like she personally did it right? Gori… my father always said to judge people by their act…”

“…I don’t care WHAT whatever sorry excuse for a human spawned you said. The drow dies as she should, here and now.”

Would he use 'human' here? After all, he's human himself.

“Oh, you’re taking pride your dad is a wizard? A powerhungry, corrupt, meddling fool. We should kill them all, including those cowled bastards and be done with it.”

From bad to worse, Mr Soldier...

Stroke, stroke, stroke

Is this guy suicidal or what? :)

“My whole LIFE, I’ve been TRYING to play by your rules” He smashed the Soldier face first in a nearby tree. The broken feather had been released and was fluttering in the fury of movement.

“Wasn’t able to SLEEP at night because I didn’t do stuff I wanted; because I wanted to SHOW you….” He drove his elbow in the back of the man’s head.

“Wanted to SHOW you that you were wrong, that I WAS a good person, that I COULD play nice.” He pulled the man’s head back by the chestnut hair and stared in his face.

:D

Shar is a *very* nasty goddess all right. I suspect that if the designers had known they'd want Viconia for a romance option in a sequel, they'd have given her a different deity, since in BG2 she doesn't really act like a Sharran at all.

Talek nodded and headed for the tent when there was a stream of light from behind him. He looked over his shoulder and saw the sun coming up. From the other tent came the sound of a drow cursing the dawn, the sun and asking Shar forgiveness that she prayed for spells at the wrong time, while Xzar was already softly snoring .

Aww...I hope so. :D
Rogues do it from behind.

#9 Guest_argan_*

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:06 PM

Great chapter :)

#10 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:28 PM

[quote][quote] Okay, taken some artistic liberties with this, but really, it doesn't matter WHAT uniform the ass in question wears, does it? I also ignored the mercenaries. Find it a bit strange that we get mercenaries directly from the Iron Throne itself even when we hardly started our little crusade against them. How the heck did they get there so fast after Mulahey's death?
[/quote]

Perhaps they had Scotty...I mean Winski...beam them down. :) [/quote]

Hmm... in that case they must ahve been wearing red uniforms.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Oh yes, it worked very well for me. My heart bled for Talek, trying to be good this final time, and getting more or less spat in the face over it. That had to hurt really bad, so his bitterness feels very natural. [/quote]

Glad to hear it :D

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

It's quite a good way to work out frustration, really. [/quote]

Yep, but it still freaks people out.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Poor Viconia... [/quote]

She's running out of time and she knows it.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

:? This is really sad, knowing what's to happen. [/quote]

Yep. He couldn't have picked a worse person to try it the 'nice' way.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Nooo...but in my book, being an officer of the law means *not* killing people on sight because of what colour they are. [/quote]

Yeah. Of course, this guy is a soldier, and they're all about killing people wth the wrong colour (uniform or skin) Good reason why police and military should be kept far apart.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Bad one...very bad one. Calling Talek a monster is *not* healthy. [/quote]

Nope. if this was Candlekeep he'd be nursing a broken nose by now.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Twirl, twirl, stroke.
[/quote]

Liked the way you used the feather. [/quote]

Glad to hear it works. It's one of those things ou visualize for yourself but aren't sure the readers will 'see'

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Would he use 'human' here? After all, he's human himself. [/quote]

I was thinking hat he was suggesting Talek's father was of 'questional breeding' (orc, ogre, troll, koboldblood, etc.) but I can see how this would be confusing.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

From bad to worse, Mr Soldier... [quote]

Very. If Talek hadn't tossed his sword he'd have drawn it now.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Stroke, stroke, stroke
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Is this guy suicidal or what? :) [/quote]

Well, he IS the only one with his weapon at the ready, so he assumes he's calling the shots. Of course, with Talek, you should expect the nigh-suicidal.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

:D [/quote]

Imoen was right when she worried.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Shar is a *very* nasty goddess all right. I suspect that if the designers had known they'd want Viconia for a romance option in a sequel, they'd have given her a different deity, since in BG2 she doesn't really act like a Sharran at all. [/quote]

Especially since Shar doesn't really take kindly to her worshippers seeking fluffy happiness for themselves anyway. Trying to relief her bitterness in such a way is probably against Sharan dogma.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Aww...I hope so. :D[/quote]

Talek and Imoen hope so too. The question is, how much compromises are they willing to make?

#11 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 12 November 2003 - 08:37 PM

Great chapter :D

Thanks... :(

#12 Guest_Helseth_*

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:07 PM

The four charming assassinettes? :lol: I always assumed them (and all other assassins up to Nimbul) to be freelancers. Like, Sarevok posted notice in Evil Daily, and they just decided to give it a shot. :o

And then, why would the Iron Throne hunt some nobodies anyway? After Nashkel 'fiasco', yes, of course. (Do you know, if you charm Nimbul, he gets loyalty conflict and spins some metaphorical tale about three little pigs in a house of iron? :o So he is a Throne agent.) But before that, I think, it all looks like Sarry's private little hobby.

A river was found nearby and camp was made. Talek eagerly shed his armour and clothes and jumped into the cold water, shaking the water out of his hair before reaching for the jar to wash his hair.

:) I didn't understood what jar is that. Some medieval shampoo? :)

Finally, Talek finished his maintenance and took his own book, together with the two vials of ink and a quill, from his backpack and started drawing again.

:) :D I presume (at least) one of vials contains red ink?
(BTW, can you draw with two colors and one feather? I'm not sure.)

Uh-oh... Jaheira?

Oh. "If you don't help me... they'll KILL me!"

Uh-oh again. Talek tries to be good. And with this encounter that means... :( :)

“Don’t worry. I think we’re capable of getting rid of one more evil bastard today. And don’t mind Montaron. He greets everyone by aiming at them with his crossbow.” He laughed.

:lol: Oh? That easy? Or he still keeps his resolve not to kill if he can?

Xzar sniggered. “She’s got the signs of another god then Lolth, so even the other Drow’ll want to kill her…. bit by painfully small bit. You don’t mind if I use your blood after you’re done with it? Drow blood is OH so handy! You just gotta be careful not to spill it. It stains, and magic doesn’t work on it.

:D Xzar is priceless.

:) Hmmm... Well, why not? She's from another culture. They probably see things quite differently there. (Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if even for a surface elf sex with a human was something alike petting a cat. Excepting special circumstances, like love, of course.)

Talek furrowed his brow in concentration before his face lit up. “I remember. Specialities of the drow: adamantine smithing and potion brewing.”

:D Exactly.

Montaron raised an eyebrow. “Say, did the guy wear a helmet with big wings on them and red clothes?”

Maybe 'it' instead of 'them'?

Heh. For Talek that probably makes no real difference.

:P Nice accusation.

Talek beamed. “Yeah! See? Should just have asked.”

LOL!

The soldier scoffed. “Are all you Northeners so stupid, or are you just an extremely girly looking half-orc? Maybe marrying whatever creature crawled out of a hole is fashionable in Baldur’s Gate, but here in the south we do things a bit differently.”

:D Oops... A snob with a death wish...

Oh. Personal reasons to hate Drow. Not just a jerk, then.

Twirl, twirl, stroke.

:) Wow! I like it! Sort of emotion indicator. Very good, methinks.

:) Heh. IIRC some of The Six are wizards. "Northern Hero Dispatches Dangerous Rebel" (or will dispatch, I'm afraid).

Bend… stroke, stroke, stroke

:) I think I figured the code.

8) Another hero's welcome. Even Immy couldn't find a peaceful solution here, I'm afraid.

With a swift movement the soldier’s sword was held close to Talek’s neck. “Let me put it this way then. Hand over the drow, or I’ll consider you on their side.”

And then what? He is burdened with a drow prisoner, and has a guy with crossbow behind his back? :D

That was his first mistake. In his arrogance he wasn’t fast enough to cut Talek’s throat when the unarmed youth screamed, and the gauntletted hand swatted the sword away. His second mistake was staying shocked long enough for Talek’s left fist, still with the broken feather, to land in the unprotected area of his face. His third mistake was dropping his sword. He didn’t need to make a third mistake. Talek unleashed a barrage of punches and kicks, finding the places the armour didn’t protect and tearing the helm off.

When Talek stops 'being good', he doesn't mess about.

Maybe instead of "He didn’t need to make a third mistake." it should be "He didn’t need to make a fourth mistake."? He's made three mistakes already...

Talek’s voice went quiet now, but still burned with anger. “I’ve tried. I’ve tried years and years.” He took out his belt knife with his left hand. The soldier seemed to sense the undertone and struggled harder “And now I’m done trying.”

So he decided to stop 'being good' for good (pardon the pun)? :?

:D Good image and good description of armor-breaking. Hmm... where exactly he stabbed the poor guard to kill him instantly? Kidney? (Not asking of any personal interest, you understand :) )

There was also something on his shoulder. With a quick gesture of the knife the broken white feather fluttered of his shoulder in the puddle of blood.

Graphic image. Oh, maybe it's 'fluttered off'?

He smiled at the drow. There was no malice or anger in it anymore, only satisfaction and some curiosity.

Maybe instead of 'it' it should be something like 'his smile'? There's no a 'smile' noun in the first phrase...

“Hey, the name’s Talek Gorionson, apparently murderer, probably evil and perhaps inhuman and or insane, blackstained soul optional…”

Not only Talek keeps his sarcasm, he's completely without remorse (or so it seems?). Looks like he really turned to evil (and I can only hope that it's not to the Evil :D ).

The drow woman quickly recovered from the shock and managed to look regal despite her dirty clothes and exhaustion. “I am Viconia of house deVir of Ched Nasad. In exile for defiance against Llolth, and now a priestess of the Nightsinger.”

:lol: Your Viccy is from Ched Nasad? The in-game one, IIRC, was from Menzoberranzan.

So did Talek. “Well, I’m researching the iron crisis in this land to find the bastard who killed my father and wipe him off the face of Faerûn as soon as possible. You wanna come?”

“What?!” Montaron and Xzar exclaimed at the same time.

Come on, guys, we'll need a med... cleric. :)

LOL! Actually there're even three mutually exclusive wishes, including Xzar's. :D

And who's mummy? Will we ever find out?

:) A wise halfling.

“You speak of things you don’t understand sakphul.” Viconia sounded vehement.

“Full of what?” Xzar piped up, but he was ignored.

:lol:

:) I bet Monty chose such arrangements not because of Viccy's charms, but to keep an eye on her... :D

Looks like Talek is a man of his word. That's somehow looks very in character for him, dunno why. :)

:( So he thinks himself officially 'not good' now? The turning point...
Poor Immy. And Talek's word doesn't include her new companions...

Good chapter! I very much liked the feather (well, I've already said that, but it's true :) ) And then Talek stopped 'being good'... I really felt for the guy. :(

One minor plot complaint: isn't Talek's lack of remorse a bit too much? He's rather emotional guy, I think. And he cracks jokes (albeit bitter ones) right after his slip to the Dark Side...

#13 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:57 PM

[quote][quote]Okay, taken some artistic liberties with this, but really, it doesn't matter WHAT uniform the ass in question wears, does it? I also ignored the mercenaries. Find it a bit strange that we get mercenaries directly from the Iron Throne itself even when we hardly started our little crusade against them. How the heck did they get there so fast after Mulahey's death?[/quote]

The four charming assassinettes? :) I always assumed them (and all other assassins up to Nimbul) to be freelancers. Like, Sarevok posted notice in Evil Daily, and they just decided to give it a shot. :) [/quote]

Well, they did say that they attack you for 'messing up the plans of the Iron Throne' and not 'for being Talek Gorionson' (well, they ask your name to be sure you ARE the one messing it up.

[quote] And then, why would the Iron Throne hunt some nobodies anyway? After Nashkel 'fiasco', yes, of course. (Do you know, if you charm Nimbul, he gets loyalty conflict and spins some metaphorical tale about three little pigs in a house of iron? :) So he is a Throne agent.) But before that, I think, it all looks like Sarry's private little hobby. [/quote]

Yeah, the ones before the mines are, and they have nothing tying them to the Throne. but the 4 assassinettes do. And that's REALLY short after the mines.

[quote] [quote]A river was found nearby and camp was made. Talek eagerly shed his armour and clothes and jumped into the cold water, shaking the water out of his hair before reaching for the jar to wash his hair.[/quote]

:? I didn't understood what jar is that. Some medieval shampoo? :) [/quote]

Yep, made from herbs and stuff. Talek is pretty vain about his hair.
[quote]
[quote]Finally, Talek finished his maintenance and took his own book, together with the two vials of ink and a quill, from his backpack and started drawing again.[/quote]

:) :D I presume (at least) one of vials contains red ink?
(BTW, can you draw with two colors and one feather? I'm not sure.) [/quote]

You know.... that's... an excellent point I hadn't thought about.

[quote] [quote]The halfling whistled. “Hey, you’re not half bad… Looks just like her.”[/quote]

Uh-oh... Jaheira? [/quote]

Yep.

[quote] [quote]The answer came in an accented female voice. “Please…. no.. I mean no harm… I need help…” She stopped at the end of the circle of light. In the dim light of the pre-dawn the contours of an elvish female, dressed in a cloak with a cowl covering her face could be made out.[/quote]

Oh. "If you don't help me... they'll KILL me!" [/quote]

That voice really SOUNDS desperate.

[quote] [quote]Talek ignored Montaron and smiled. “Sure, sit down and explain.” The woman hesitated, looking at the halfling’s crossbow. Talek casually pulled the crossbow upwards as his left hand played with the quill. “Don’t be an ass, Montaron. She needs help.”[/quote]

Uh-oh again. Talek tries to be good. And with this encounter that means... :( :( [/quote]

The wrong person at the wrong time.

[quote] [quote]“Don’t worry. I think we’re capable of getting rid of one more evil bastard today. And don’t mind Montaron. He greets everyone by aiming at them with his crossbow.” He laughed.[/quote]

:o Oh? That easy? Or he still keeps his resolve not to kill if he can? [/quote]

Well, he still thinks it's some kind of villain that's out to kill innocents, so he assumes that's a fair kill. Then there's the fact that he's impulsive.

[uote] [quote]Xzar sniggered. “She’s got the signs of another god then Lolth, so even the other Drow’ll want to kill her…. bit by painfully small bit. You don’t mind if I use your blood after you’re done with it? Drow blood is OH so handy! You just gotta be careful not to spill it. It stains, and magic doesn’t work on it.[/quote]

:D Xzar is priceless. [/quote]

Yeah, I added that sentence because I was forgetting him, bu it worked.

[quote] [quote]The drow woman’s eyes lit up with fear and she looked behind her as if she expected something, then turned to Montaron. “You are wounded! I… I know healing spells.” She swallowed. “Not to mention… other drow skills.” She gave Talek a meaningful look.[/quote]

:) Hmmm... Well, why not? She's from another culture. They probably see things quite differently there. (Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if even for a surface elf sex with a human was something alike petting a cat. Excepting special circumstances, like love, of course.) [/quote]

elf-human relations probably give a LOT of trouble.

[uote] [quote]Talek furrowed his brow in concentration before his face lit up. “I remember. Specialities of the drow: adamantine smithing and potion brewing.” [/quote]

:D Exactly. [/Quote]

And thus, Viconia was rebvealed to be a blacksmith. (tries to imagine Viconia with a leather apron, a big hammer and a scottish accent and fails)

[quote] [quote]Montaron raised an eyebrow. “Say, did the guy wear a helmet with big wings on them and red clothes?”[/quote]

Maybe 'it' instead of 'them'? [/quote]

Whoops... thanks.

[quote] [quote]Montaron gave a small chuckle as well. “Hey, boy. Sorry to interrupt your attempt at heroism, but yer damsel in distress is running from the law.”[/quote]

Heh. For Talek that probably makes no real difference. [/quote]

Well, as Talek is supposed to be godo, he's no supposed to be helping wanted criminals escaping.

[quote] [quote]The soldier looked at him as if he asked where the sun came up. “She’s a DROW. I don’t know the specifics, but I’m sure that we’ll be able to find SOME things she’s done soon enough.”[/quote]

:P Nice accusation. [/quote]

You can take THAT to court.

[quote] [quote]The Amnish soldier gave him a look of contempt. “Oh… okay, the drow says she’s done nothing wrong. That makes everything all right then doesn’t it?”

Talek beamed. “Yeah! See? Should just have asked.”[/quote]

LOL! [/quote]

Viconia must be wondering right now whether she shouldn't have just taken her chances with hand to hand combat.

[quote] [quote]The soldier scoffed. “Are all you Northeners so stupid, or are you just an extremely girly looking half-orc? Maybe marrying whatever creature crawled out of a hole is fashionable in Baldur’s Gate, but here in the south we do things a bit differently.”[/quote]

:D Oops... A snob with a death wish... [/quote]

There seem to be a lot of them.

[quote] [quote]“After you’ve had your home village vanishing in the Underdark to feed to their spiders, then come talking to me about monsters, BOY!” The soldier snarled.[/quote]

Oh. Personal reasons to hate Drow. Not just a jerk, then. [/quote]

Well.. still a jerk, but people tend to have reasons for being a jerk I think. BAD reasons, but still reasons.

[quote] [quote] Twirl, twirl, stroke. [/quote]

8) Wow! I like it! Sort of emotion indicator. Very good, methinks. [/quote]

Thanks, I try to avoid directly describing emotions, so I have other ways of showing them. Luckily Talek is so easy to read.

[quote] [quote]“Oh, you’re taking pride your dad is a wizard? A powerhungry, corrupt, meddling fool. We should kill them all, including those cowled bastards and be done with it.”[/quote]

:) Heh. IIRC some of The Six are wizards. "Northern Hero Dispatches Dangerous Rebel" (or will dispatch, I'm afraid). [/quote]

:lol: Well, the identity of the six are a secret IIRC, so our Rebel without a clue wouldn't even know he's rebelling.

[quote] Bend, bend, bend. The feather was kept at breaking point.

[quote]Bend… stroke, stroke, stroke [/quote]

:) I think I figured the code. [/quote]

[quote] [quote] “Yep, Talek Gorionson.” This time Talek’s smile did reach his eye.

“You’re the black-souled abomination the priest in the village talked about!” The drow frowned in confusion, Montaron rolled his eyes, Xzar giggled[/quote]

:( Another hero's welcome. Even Immy couldn't find a peaceful solution here, I'm afraid. [/quote]

Nope, this is just a kick in the nads for talek.

[uote] [quote]With a swift movement the soldier’s sword was held close to Talek’s neck. “Let me put it this way then. Hand over the drow, or I’ll consider you on their side.”[/quote]

And then what? He is burdened with a drow prisoner, and has a guy with crossbow behind his back? :D [/Quote]

Montaron: This is ALMOST too easy *twang*

Of course, this guy isn't likely to take Viconia, ANYWHERE, prisoner or not. Frontier 'justice' and all.

[quote] [quote]That was his first mistake. In his arrogance he wasn’t fast enough to cut Talek’s throat when the unarmed youth screamed, and the gauntletted hand swatted the sword away. His second mistake was staying shocked long enough for Talek’s left fist, still with the broken feather, to land in the unprotected area of his face. His third mistake was dropping his sword. He didn’t need to make a third mistake. Talek unleashed a barrage of punches and kicks, finding the places the armour didn’t protect and tearing the helm off.[/quote]

When Talek stops 'being good', he doesn't mess about. [/quote]

But he does make a mess of things.

[quote] Maybe instead of "He didn’t need to make a third mistake." it should be "He didn’t need to make a fourth mistake."? He's made three mistakes already... [/quote]

Oops again... Good call.

[quote] [quote]Talek’s voice went quiet now, but still burned with anger. “I’ve tried. I’ve tried years and years.” He took out his belt knife with his left hand. The soldier seemed to sense the undertone and struggled harder “And now I’m done trying.”[/quote]

So he decided to stop 'being good' for good (pardon the pun)? :( [/quote]

Yep, been hurt one too many times.

[quote] [quote]With a short scream Talek drove the knife underneath the platemail, the links in the chainmail were torn apart, the clothing gave out and then skin and flesh were pierced. The soldier gave a short, relatively quiet cry, then sunk to the ground. [/quote]

:D Good image and good description of armor-breaking. Hmm... where exactly he stabbed the poor guard to kill him instantly? Kidney? (Not asking of any personal interest, you understand :) ) [/quote]

Kidney. The guy went probably into shock and died.

[quote] [quote]There was also something on his shoulder. With a quick gesture of the knife the broken white feather fluttered of his shoulder in the puddle of blood.[/quote]

Graphic image. Oh, maybe it's 'fluttered off'? [/quote]

It is actually.

[quote] [quote]He smiled at the drow. There was no malice or anger in it anymore, only satisfaction and some curiosity.[/quote]

Maybe instead of 'it' it should be something like 'his smile'? There's no a 'smile' noun in the first phrase... [/quote]

And once again, you're absolutely right.

[quote] [quote] “Hey, the name’s Talek Gorionson, apparently murderer, probably evil and perhaps inhuman and or insane, blackstained soul optional…”[/quote]

Not only Talek keeps his sarcasm, he's completely without remorse (or so it seems?). Looks like he really turned to evil (and I can only hope that it's not to the Evil :D ). [/quote]

Well, the kill gives his mood a big boost. And he HAS pretty little remorse about it. But maybe it IS a bit fast.

[quote][ [quote]The drow woman quickly recovered from the shock and managed to look regal despite her dirty clothes and exhaustion. “I am Viconia of house deVir of Ched Nasad. In exile for defiance against Llolth, and now a priestess of the Nightsinger.”[/quote]

:o Your Viccy is from Ched Nasad? The in-game one, IIRC, was from Menzoberranzan. [/quote]

D'OH.... that's true. They said that. Yes, she's from Menzoberranzan.... that's one SERIOUS Umberlee to spell though.

[quote] [quote]So did Talek. “Well, I’m researching the iron crisis in this land to find the bastard who killed my father and wipe him off the face of Faerûn as soon as possible. You wanna come?”

“What?!” Montaron and Xzar exclaimed at the same time.[/quote]

Come on, guys, we'll need a med... cleric. :) [/quote]

Yeah well, Montaron would probably prefer a cleric of Mask. After all, Mask and Shar aren't exactly on good terms.

[quote] [quote]“No. I don’t want her to come. I don’t like Shar. She’s mean. She’s almost as bad as mommy, except she wants to kill us all and be alone forever, and mommy wants to kill us one by one forever and I want me to live forever and those two wishes are mutiually exclusive and I bet she probably doesn’t even like the pretty lights of the necromantic energy.” The necromacer rambled. “besides, you should stay away from gods, Talek, really far.”[/quote]

LOL! Actually there're even three mutually exclusive wishes, including Xzar's. :D [quote]

What is my problem with numbers? I seem to have lost the ability to COUNT.

[quote] And who's mummy? Will we ever find out? [/quote]

Mother Nature. From Xzar's POV, she's a rather abusive mother.

[quote] [quote]“Boy,” Montaron started “She’s drow. Now I know yer dad probably said a lot of things of judging people on their actions, but if that action is a dagger in your back, that’s a bit too late. They’re drow. They grow up with backstabbing, scheming and pretending. All yer favourite subjects. It’s bloody hard enough to find anyone to trust farther then ye can throw among yer own kind. Ye DON’T want to challenge the odds this way.”[/quote]

:) A wise halfling. [/quote]

Don't know what his game scores are, but Montaron always seemed like a pretty street-wise guy.

[quote] [quote]“You speak of things you don’t understand sakphul.” Viconia sounded vehement.

“Full of what?” Xzar piped up, but he was ignored.[/quote]

:lol: [/quote]

Ugh... drow-puns. I'm such a geek.

[quote] [quote]After some more discussion, it was decided Talek and Xzar would sleep in Talek’s tent. Viconia and Montaron would sleep in the Zhentarim’s tent. As it was Montaron who suggested the arrangements, the drow gave him a challenging look, which Montaron ignored. As the Sharran needed only four hours of meditation, it was decided, also by Montaron, that she would have second guard, while the thief took the first guard. [/quote]

:) I bet Monty chose such arrangements not because of Viccy's charms, but to keep an eye on her... :D [/quote]

Oh yes, Montaron has been around the block a bit too often to fall for elven boo... beauty. Besides, I don't see why halflings would have to be attracted to elves.

[uote] [quote]“I’m NOT hiding stuff from Imoen!” Talek said vehemently. “We’ll just…. Deal with it. We always work things out. And the deal with not killing Jaheira and Khalid and not telling they’re Ha… you know what is still on.”[/quote]

Looks like Talek is a man of his word. That's somehow looks very in character for him, dunno why. :) [/quote]

Yeah, he's definately a chaotic character, but trust is important to him.

[quote][quote]He looked at the sunrise and nodded to i, as if in greeting. “We’ll work things out Imoen. Even if you’re good and I’m not, we’ll work things out.”[/quote]

:( So he thinks himself officially 'not good' now? The turning point...
Poor Immy. And Talek's word doesn't include her new companions... [/quote]

Indeed. He doesn't even KNOW them as such.

[quote] Good chapter! I very much liked the feather (well, I've already said that, but it's true :) ) And then Talek stopped 'being good'... I really felt for the guy. :( [/quote]

Yay! Porblem with Talek is that he IS, in a sense, not a pleasant person to be around for most people. So I always wonder whether people still feel for him.

[quote] One minor plot complaint: isn't Talek's lack of remorse a bit too much? He's rather emotional guy, I think. And he cracks jokes (albeit bitter ones) right after his slip to the Dark Side...[/quote]

Hmmm.... maybe I should have him teeter on the edge a bit before making the drop. But the kill kind of drained the anger out of him. Also, I've still got some scenes coming where Talek will further deal with his 'new lease on life'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com