The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 22

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 10 November 2003 - 09:58 AM

Not a very good chapter, I'm afraid...I think it feels kind of forced. Some slightly disturbing scenes near the end.

The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 22

The party managed to get back out of the sewers without any more trouble, once they’d taken a long route to avoid the golems. And once back, they went their separate ways. Edwin went to his room to sulk over the way Kane was acting towards him, Kagain and Korgan settled in their corner with their ale and their leader disappeared completely, after vaguely hinting to Benny that he might go to the graveyard. In the meantime, the assassin had some business of his own to see to. He needed to see Renal and talk to him about the vampires in the city.

Viconia decided to come with him rather than tolerate the company of the two dwarves, slipping her hand through his as they walked to the docks. Benny was still very interested in the stone they had retrieved for Haer’Dalis and was studying it carefully; attempting to guess what purpose it held.

“This is an interesting gem,” he said finally, giving up and putting it back in his pocket. “I wonder why Haer’Dalis said it was so important. Perhaps it has magical properties. Oh well, I suppose we’ll find out when Kane decides it’s time to take it to him.”

“Just so long as our leader doesn’t decide to let that tiefling travel with us,” Viconia sighed and shook her head. “I have never been able to stand bards. There is only so many times one can be compared to a bird and be forced to listen to foolish poetry without losing patience.”

“What about if I were to refer to you as a bird, Viconia?” her lover teased. “I think you are definitely a raven, fast, beautiful, mysterious…”

“And you’re a charmer,” the drow smiled faintly, tracing a single finger along his jaw. “I think I’ll make an exception for you, shapeshifter.”

“That’s good to know,” Benny caught her hand in his and kissed it. “I’ve just got to go and have a few words with Renal. You’ll be all right out here, won’t you?”

She nodded and he left her, disappearing into the building with dark windows that everyone seemed to be so afraid of. The two guards at the door, both fairly young, looked at Viconia curiously but said nothing.

There weren’t many people on the streets, for it was evening and most people tended to stay away from the part of the city for it was considered Shadow Thief territory. So when the five men passed her, Viconia immediately felt uneasy. They were walking much closer to her than was necessary and they were definitely watching her. She took a step back, raising a hand to check that her hood was still in place. The man closest to her reached out and grabbed her hand and she pulled away sharply. As she did, her hood fell back slightly, offering the men a quick glimpse of her dark features.

“Just as I thought!” One of the men said, sounding strangely satisfied. “See, she’s a drow! A foul creature of darkness!”

“A filthy drow!” Someone screamed. “Right here in the city!”

“She has to be destroyed!” Another cried. “Kill the drow!”

“Burn her! Burn her!”

Suddenly they had surrounded her and were grabbing at her roughly. She hit one around the head with her mace and heard a woman scream, then her wrist was grabbed and twisted until she was forced to drop the weapon. One of the men holding her suddenly gave a cry and collapsed, clutching at his chest where a bloodstain was beginning to appear.

“Enough of this!” Benny said coldly. Viconia had never been more relieved to hear a voice in her life. The assassin was holding the leader of the group from behind, one arm twisted up his back, his head forced back by the hair. “Tell them to let her go or I’ll kill you!”

“Let…let her go!” the man stammered. His men did as he asked, releasing their hold on Viconia and slowly backing away.

“Next time you want to kill someone for being what they are,” Benny said fiercely. “You might want to check who they are travelling with first. I should change form and rip you to pieces. I haven’t tasted blood in a while.” With a practised hand, he thrust upwards, stabbing the dagger into the man’s skull and killing him instantly. “Now go,” he ordered the others. “Go or you’ll suffer a similar fate!”

That was enough the send the remaining men hurrying off, along with the commoners who had come to watch the show. Benny withdrew his dagger from the man’s head and spat on him before suddenly remembering his lover.

“Vic!” Gently he took the trembling drow into his arms, receiving no resistance from her. “Are you all right?”

“Just shaken up,” Viconia whispered into his shoulder. “It is nothing, I am just being stupid. I should be used to it by now.”

“You had a angry mob wanting to burn you alive.” He drew back, forced her to look at him. “Drow or not, I don’t think that is something anyone could ever get used to. And there is no shame in being upset about it either.”

“You’re bleeding!” Viconia cut him off, putting her fingers to his neck. “They hurt you because you tried to protect me. I am so sorry, Benny.”

“It’s nothing,” the assassin said at once. He wasn’t lying, the dagger had barely scratched him and the wound was already beginning to heal, the blood turning sticky. “Just a scratch. I’ve had worse, much worse before.”

He caught her face in his hand and kissed her lightly, but still enough to make her feel weak inside. She couldn’t understand it, but she really wanted to be close to him. She wanted to know everything about him and she wanted to share with him everything about her. He had told her that he would protect her and he had kept that promise, so she knew that she could trust him.

Wrapping her arms around the assassin, she kissed him fiercely, passionately, biting at his lip and leaving the taste of blood in both of their mouths. Benny growled his approval, sliding his hands down her body and pulling her against him.

“We had better go back,” she whispered in his ear. “I can’t wait any longer to get you behind a locked door…I need you.”

“Well if it makes you feel better…” Benny smirked at her and took her hand. “Come on then, let’s go back.”

Kane had always liked visiting the graveyard, especially in the early evening when there weren’t many people around. He needed to be alone just then, alone with his thoughts and his memories. Which was why he was annoyed to discover that someone was already sitting on the bench in front of his family’s graves. Crystal, of all people. Still, if he wanted to visit his sister, she certainly wasn’t going to stop him.

As he sat down, he glanced over at her, studying her for a moment and noticing how ill she looked, how pale she appeared and how her clothes seemed to hang off her body. She was holding a bundle in her arms; a baby and her cheeks were damp with tears. Kane’s eyes narrowed as he noticed that she had a black eye, a recent one, not more than a day or so old. He shrugged and looked away. It wasn’t his problem.

“Hello Kane,” Crystal’s voice was strained, weary. “Come to pay your respects, have you?”

“Just to my sister,” Kane said at once, not looking at her. “She’s the only one here who deserves it.”

“That sounds funny coming from the one who earns people’s respect only by making them fear him,” she said boldly. Kane turned sharply, but she avoided his gaze. “Maybe you should take a look at yourself before judging them.”

“Done that,” Kane shrugged carelessly. “Many times. I’ve done things I’m not proud of, I’ve let my blood influence me more than I should. But I have never hurt a child; in fact I don’t think I’ve ever kill someone who couldn’t fight back. It isn’t my style, unlike your precious Carlo!”

“Carlo was a good man,” Crystal said quietly. “He just had a short temper and a bit of a fondness for drink, like so many men. It was hardly a crime…”

“You’re pathetic!” Kane laughed humourlessly. “You know what he was like and yet you still chose to defend him, even after all these years. Have you forgotten the beatings he used to give you? What about when he discovered that you were having a child and knocked you down the stairs, you remember that? And what about when he used to come home at night and-”

“Don’t!” She said fiercely. “Don’t say it!”

“Wounds still too raw?” Kane taunted. “My lover won’t talk to me now because you told him I raped you. But…but I’m not really bothered about that, if you want to take your anger and frustration out on me then I can cope with that. I’m only annoyed that you want to label me as the bad one and make out that Carlo was the saint, when we both know that he was ten times worse than I ever was. All those times when he’d come home drunk and force himself on you. I was only in the next room, I’d hear you crying when he’d finished with you, I heard it all. Time after time after time…and it must have continued after I left. And what about when he used to let his friends have their way with you too, groups of them. Are you telling me that wasn’t rape?”

“I…I…” As she hugged her child to her chest, Kane could see that she was shaking. “He loved me…”

“Carlo loved no one but himself, and I think you know that deep down. I don’t pretend to be an expert when it comes to love, but I do have a lover and I love him very much…he means everything to me and since I’ve been with him, I’ve been a better person. I would never intentionally raise a hand to him; if I did then I don’t think I’d ever be able to live with myself afterwards. And if anyone else ever touched him, I’d kill them. I suppose I’m a little too possessive, but that’s what love does to you.”

“Kane Theaza in love,” Crystal smiled faintly. “Whoever would have thought it possible?”

“Anyone can fall in love if the right person comes along,” Kane told her. “I never planned it and I certainly never thought that I’d fall in love with someone so different from me…he’s from a noble family, had a decent upbringing, is the only child and much loved, but that’s the way it is. And that’s why I can say that if you love someone then the last thing you want to do is hurt them. Carlo saw you as a possession, as an object and nothing else. I did you a favour when I killed him and the sooner you realise that, the better.”

“He wasn’t such a bad man,” she protested weakly. “He looked after me when no one else wanted me, when my own family had turned their backs on me, yours took me in.”

“And in the end, you just ended up exactly like my mother. She always cared about my father more than she cared about us. I hate her most, I think, because she was weak and stupid and it was her who killed Lucie in the end. She always thought that he’d change, but he never did. He was a selfish bastard and Carlo was no different.” He hesitated for a moment and turned his eyes away from her before he continued. “I always felt sorry for you, because I saw you as being trapped just like I was. And after I had gotten out…I would have helped you to get away too, if only you had wanted it. I always cared about you, you know, and I would have looked after you. But you didn’t want that, did you? You wanted to think of me as the bad one because it was easier to think like that than face up to the truth. I was a liar, I was a thief, I deserved everything I got from them, I brought it all on myself because I was different from them. That’s what Carlo told you, wasn’t it? And you believed him.”

“He was so persuasive that it was hard not to,” Crystal admitted. “And you were a…difficult child, always getting into trouble, never doing what you were told. Carlo, he told me that your father only hit you to keep you in line.”

“Bruises, cuts, broken bones,” Kane chuckled darkly and shook his head. “It wasn’t discipline, it was far more than that. They were bullies, both of them, and they wanted me to fear them, but I wouldn’t. Never gave them the satisfaction, no matter how hard they hit me. I had to kill them in the end, to try and lay the demons to rest, but I still have scars, like you must have, and the worst are in my head. Do you know what I fear more than anything else in the world?”

“I didn’t know that you feared anything.”

“Everyone fears something,” the warrior said patiently. “Even the strongest soldiers, the best assassins, the mages powerful enough to control the undead. They all have their fears and they all have their weaknesses, most of them just don’t admit it.”

“So what’s yours?”

“My biggest fear is of being weak and not being able to protect the people I love,” Kane muttered. “That was why I embraced the power my blood gave me when the Shadow Thieves offered me the chance. I was young and I didn’t know what I dealing with then, or what the consequences would be. And my other fear is that I might end up like my father and brother. I know that I share their short temper, but I’d hate to end up sharing any more traits with them.”

“I don’t think…” Crystal paused and blushed faintly in the dim light. “I don’t think you’re like them, at least not any more. You seem to know when you’ve done wrong and be able to learn from your mistakes and that is something that many men can’t do.”

“Perhaps,” Kane shrugged. “Perhaps not. At least the children situation won’t be a problem while I’m with Edwin. I can’t risk being a father, not if there is even a slight chance that I might hate or resent my children in some way. I wouldn’t want any child to live through what I had to.”

“I think you’d be a good father. You were always good with Lucie; anyone could see how devoted you were to her and how much she loved you.”

“I’d like a daughter,” the warrior admitted. “I really would, but it is never going to happen and it’s for the best. Has it occurred to you that we’ve managed to sit here and actually talk for once?”

“Good,” Crystal shifted restlessly. The baby in her arms began to cry and she put it against her breast. “I’m tired of everything, tired of fighting, tired of hating you. It’s not going to change anything now.”

“Well it took you long enough to figure that out,” Kane raised an eyebrow and looked hard at her. “Are you all right, Crystal? You don’t seem yourself.”

“Hating you, blaming you for killing Carlo, it gave me something to focus on, made the pain easier to bear. You’re right, I knew what he was really like, but I couldn’t bring myself to hate him, because he’s dead and I needed…wanted to hold on to good memories I had. What woman wants to admit that they’ve wasted so many years on a man who wasn’t what they thought he was?”

“At least you can see it now, so that’s something. And I’m glad; surviving on hate doesn’t do anyone any good. I know that from experience. So, are you going to tell me who did that to your face?”

“I can’t,” she whispered, suddenly looking scared. “If he found out I’d said anything, he’d kill me.”

“Who would?” Kane’s eyes narrowed. “Got yourself another violent lover, have you? Is he the father of your little one?”

“He’s my…lover, yes,” Crystal admitted. “But it is complicated. He’s a married noble…I met him when I was working on the streets a few months ago and he employed me as a maid and took me as a mistress. Then I found out that there was going to…be a child. He was delighted because his wife can’t have children, and told me that I could stay and work for them and he’d look after us. So I did and it went all right, he’s very possessive of me and the little one and he can be a little frightening at times, but I needed someone to take care of me and he could do that.”

“So why did he give you the black eye?”

“I went to visit friends in Trademeet for a few days, the family of a girl I met while working on the streets. They were very kind to the baby and me and hinted that if I wanted to go and live with them, they would be more than happy to take me in and help me find proper work. It was a tempting offer, a chance to get away from the city and get my life back together, but my lover wasn’t happy when I told him. He doesn’t want me to take his daughter away, he says that she belongs with him and if I take her, he’ll find me and kill me.”

“Charming man,” Kane muttered. “Still, you can hardly expect anything else from a noble. So what are you going to do?”

“I don’t know yet,” Crystal sniffed and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. “He scares me too much and I know that I have to get out, but I’ll never get away from the city while he’s still around. There’s a ship leaving in three days, going to Baldur’s Gate, and I was thinking of getting on that and starting a new life there, but he’s been watching me very carefully lately and he’s got other people watching me to ensure that I don’t leave the city.” She hesitated as an idea suddenly hit her. “Could you…could you get him out of the way for a few days? I don’t want him dead or anything, I just wanted him locked away or something until I’ve gone.”

“I don’t know,” Kane looked at her for a long moment. He didn’t hate her any more, how could he? He just pitied her. “What’s it worth?”

“I have no money,” Crystal whispered, rocking her baby gently. “He took it all away, apart from a few coins that I managed to hide. I could give you…my body.”

“I’m not even going to comment on that,” Kane smirked faintly and shook his head. “We’ll talk payment later, once we’ve worked out what it is going to involve. First though, I need a name.”

She leant over and whispered it into his ear. His eyes widened and he nodded.

“I know him,” he told her. “I’ll speak to Benny and Cory tomorrow and see if they can help me figure out the best way to keep him indisposed for the next few days. You should go home and get some sleep, just leave everything to us. You’ll be rid of him in no time.”

“Thank you,” she looked pathetically grateful and Kane had a sudden urge to shake her and order her to stop being so foolish. “I…I won’t forget this.”

“Good,” Kane looked at her seriously. “Just make sure you remember it the next time you want to run around accusing me of…things.” Crystal started to stammer out an apology, but he shook his head before she had finished. “It’s all done now. I’ll help you, you can go on your way and we can both put this whole mess behind us. Now go, I want to spend a little time alone with my sister.”

She nodded and stood up, still rocking her baby gently in her arms. As she passed behind him, her hand lightly brushed his shoulder. Whether it was an accident or not, Kane couldn’t tell, but neither of them acknowledged it. Her footsteps gradually died away as she made her way through the graveyard. Kane pulled his cloak around him, attempting to ward off the light evening chill and settled back on the bench.

He wasn’t completely convinced that he had done the right thing by agreeing to help Crystal, but then he knew that there wasn’t really anything else he could have done. He did…almost owe her in a way and he would have helped her a long time before if she had let him. And maybe it would help Edwin see that things hadn’t been as bad as he feared.

Next Part: Kane’s actions finally helps Edwin to come to a decision about their relationship…

#2 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 10 November 2003 - 10:03 AM

Stupid double posting...never mind this.

#3 Laufey

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:01 AM

Not a very good chapter, I'm afraid...I think it feels kind of forced. Some slightly disturbing scenes near the end.

It wasn't the contents of the chapter itself that was forced I think...but I did wonder that Kane was suddenly being so open with Crystal, because I've seen no indication before that he was about to be. Perhaps a deeper look into his head would help clarify?

“What about if I were to refer to you as a bird, Viconia?” her lover teased. “I think you are definitely a raven, fast, beautiful, mysterious…”

He's got a good point there. :mrgreen:

Suddenly they had surrounded her and were grabbing at her roughly. She hit one around the head with her mace and heard a woman scream, then her wrist was grabbed and twisted until she was forced to drop the weapon. One of the men holding her suddenly gave a cry and collapsed, clutching at his chest where a bloodstain was beginning to appear.

“Enough of this!” Benny said coldly. Viconia had never been more relieved to hear a voice in her life. The assassin was holding the leader of the group from behind, one arm twisted up his back, his head forced back by the hair. “Tell them to let her go or I’ll kill you!”

*grin* Well done, Benny!

Wrapping her arms around the assassin, she kissed him fiercely, passionately, biting at his lip and leaving the taste of blood in both of their mouths. Benny growled his approval, sliding his hands down her body and pulling her against him.

“We had better go back,” she whispered in his ear. “I can’t wait any longer to get you behind a locked door…I need you.”

“Well if it makes you feel better…” Benny smirked at her and took her hand. “Come on then, let’s go back.”

Awwww...

“Done that,” Kane shrugged carelessly. “Many times. I’ve done things I’m not proud of, I’ve let my blood influence me more than I should. But I have never hurt a child; in fact I don’t think I’ve ever kill someone who couldn’t fight back. It isn’t my style, unlike your precious Carlo!”

“Carlo was a good man,” Crystal said quietly. “He just had a short temper and a bit of a fondness for drink, like so many men. It was hardly a crime…”

I very much liked the talk between Kane and Crystal, and it provided some useful background on their past. The only issue I have is what I said above, that I personally didn't expect Kane to suddenly be this open about his emotions, but that's just my impression, of course.

“Carlo loved no one but himself, and I think you know that deep down. I don’t pretend to be an expert when it comes to love, but I do have a lover and I love him very much…he means everything to me and since I’ve been with him, I’ve been a better person. I would never intentionally raise a hand to him; if I did then I don’t think I’d ever be able to live with myself afterwards. And if anyone else ever touched him, I’d kill them. I suppose I’m a little too possessive, but that’s what love does to you.”

Oh yes...Kane's got the right idea about that.
Rogues do it from behind.

#4 Guest_Dark-Mage_*

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:11 PM

Good chapter Silver :)

#5 Weyoun

Posted 12 November 2003 - 01:18 AM

Poor Crystal. :wink: This story was dark, but wonderfully written. You treated the horrid subject very well... Sadly, it was rather realistic...

---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#6 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:32 PM

“Just so long as our leader doesn’t decide to let that tiefling travel with us,” Viconia sighed and shook her head. “I have never been able to stand bards. There is only so many times one can be compared to a bird and be forced to listen to foolish poetry without losing patience.”

Yep, I'm with Vic there. :)

“And you’re a charmer,” the drow smiled faintly, tracing a single finger along his jaw. “I think I’ll make an exception for you, shapeshifter.”

Aww!

“Next time you want to kill someone for being what they are,” Benny said fiercely. “You might want to check who they are travelling with first. I should change form and rip you to pieces. I haven’t tasted blood in a while.” With a practised hand, he thrust upwards, stabbing the dagger into the man’s skull and killing him instantly. “Now go,” he ordered the others. “Go or you’ll suffer a similar fate!”

Go Benny! I guess he knows quite a bit about what it's like to be judged for who you are. :?

“Just shaken up,” Viconia whispered into his shoulder. “It is nothing, I am just being stupid. I should be used to it by now.”

:D Nearly getting killed by an angry mob isn't something you should have to get used to. Nothing wrong with being upset.

He caught her face in his hand and kissed her lightly, but still enough to make her feel weak inside. She couldn’t understand it, but she really wanted to be close to him. She wanted to know everything about him and she wanted to share with him everything about her. He had told her that he would protect her and he had kept that promise, so she knew that she could trust him.

Aww...of course you can, Vic.

Aw - you need to tell all that to Edwin, Kane, before it's too late.

“I don’t know,” Kane looked at her for a long moment. He didn’t hate her any more, how could he? He just pitied her. “What’s it worth?”

C'mon Kane - either do it or don't, but asking her to pay is just harsh.

“Good,” Kane looked at her seriously. “Just make sure you remember it the next time you want to run around accusing me of…things.” Crystal started to stammer out an apology, but he shook his head before she had finished. “It’s all done now. I’ll help you, you can go on your way and we can both put this whole mess behind us. Now go, I want to spend a little time alone with my sister.”

Hope this conversation helps Kane sort things things out in his head a bit. He and eddie have been apart too long.

Nice chapter - I didn't think it sounded particularly forced. Although Kane just happening to run into Crystal maybe seemed a bit too coincidental - unless he went to the graveyard because subconsciously he wanted to talk to her and thought he might find her there, or something?

#7 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:44 PM

It wasn't the contents of the chapter itself that was forced I think...but I did wonder that Kane was suddenly being so open with Crystal, because I've seen no indication before that he was about to be. Perhaps a deeper look into his head would help clarify?

You're right. I'll see if I can add a few lines in here somewhere to give more of an insight into his thoughts. Thanks for pointing it out. :wink:

He's got a good point there. :D

Benny: I speak only the truth.

*grin* Well done, Benny!

Benny: *smirks* Thank you.

Awwww...

I think they make a really...interesting couple.

I very much liked the talk between Kane and Crystal, and it provided some useful background on their past. The only issue I have is what I said above, that I personally didn't expect Kane to suddenly be this open about his emotions, but that's just my impression, of course.

*nods* Well Kane and Crystal do have a history...but I can see what you mean. I'll see if I can come up with a way to alter this slightly.

Oh yes...Kane's got the right idea about that.

As long as being possessive doesn't start causing problems. :) Thanks for commenting. :)

Silver

#8 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:46 PM

Good chapter Silver :)

Thank you! :wink:

#9 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:55 PM

Yep, I'm with Vic there. :)

So am I. :wink:

Aww!

They do make a sweet couple, I think. And an interesting one.

Go Benny! I guess he knows quite a bit about what it's like to be judged for who you are. :)

Unfortunately he does. :D

:D Nearly getting killed by an angry mob isn't something you should have to get used to. Nothing wrong with being upset.

Exactly!

Aww...of course you can, Vic.

*grins* No doubt about it.

Aw - you need to tell all that to Edwin, Kane, before it's too late.

He certainly does...but he won't, of course.

C'mon Kane - either do it or don't, but asking her to pay is just harsh.

He's just being Kane.

Hope this conversation helps Kane sort things things out in his head a bit. He and eddie have been apart too long.

Yeah, they have. :D But they won't be apart for much longer.

Nice chapter - I didn't think it sounded particularly forced. Although Kane just happening to run into Crystal maybe seemed a bit too coincidental - unless he went to the graveyard because subconsciously he wanted to talk to her and thought he might find her there, or something?

Well it was meant to be coincidental that they were both there at the same time really...she needed to talk to her dead lover and he needed to talk to his sister and they just ended up there at the same time. But I am thinking about altering this part a little, so I'll keep your comments in mind. :D Glad you liked the chapter.

Silver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com