Tide of Destiny - 139

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:36 PM

Well, I was going to be trying to finish the fic tonight, as I'm halfway through the last chapter, but a certain someone (who shall remain unnamed) kept poking me to post the next one!!!

And as this is one of my favourites, I had to comply. :twisted: Still intend to be finished by the end of the evening... almost through the fluffy goodness of the finale, touching on the grim foreshadowing of final lines. :roll: Anyway, enjoy this chapter! I love it. And not just for the title - though it's one of my favourite titles (right after Chapter 44: Return to the Copper Coronet!).

---------------------------------

Chapter 139: Death’s Lantern

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The heavy bag full of sand shook with every strike, shuddering under the blows and swinging on the thick rope that suspended it in the air. He hadn’t paid it much attention before now; had just known it was one of Anomen’s training toys and left it in the far corner of the expansive cellar of the Delryn estate. Now, however, it was a very tempting way to release all of his pent-up frustration.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The others hurried around busily upstairs, preparing for the final departure for Suldanessellar. There was no telling how long they’d be gone, which didn’t particularly bother Harrian that much. He wanted to be gone from this wretched city, with its corruption and its coin and its politics, as soon as was physically possible. Once Irenicus was dead… well, who knew where his path would then take him? His destiny was still out there, ruling him. He just intended to be ruled far away from Amn. The country sickened him. Even the north was preferable to this. Once he was free – if, indeed, he ever was free – he planned to head for Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Luskan… wherever his skills would take him. He was still young, still only twenty-two, and already more powerful than some twice his age. A way of life would not be hard to find. He had never had a home. His home had always been whatever road he travelled at any given moment.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

He hadn’t thought about any future with Jaheira. It had always been a dream to even consider it; something just beyond all reach, overshadowed by Irenicus and by his heritage. And a part of him had not dared to look that far ahead; had only live for the now. And the now was gone.

Thump. Thud. Clatter.

Harrian whirled around, lowering his sore and bruised firsts to see Aerie standing by a small rack of daggers that she’d knocked over. From the timid expression on her face, he realised she’d done it to get his attention. For a fleeting instant, he wondered how long she’d been there.

Harrian nodded solemnly and turned to resume his punching. “Are you leaving, then?” he asked curtly, not looking at her. Best she depart on her own life as soon as possible, instead of lingering with this tainted group of adventurers.

“There’s a caravan to Waterdeep leaving this evening. I’m going with it,” Aerie said falteringly. “Unless you need my services, now…?”

Harrian didn’t stop in his pummelling. “Anomen’s a good enough cleric for us. Imoen’s a skilled mage. You should go.”

“I just wonder that –”

“Go. You helped today. Now live your own life. Whatever kept you here – a debt, a bond, a sense of honour – consider it ended. You’ve repaid your debt, do not need to remain here to consider there to be a bond between us, and honour is not something to die for. Go.” Harrian still didn’t look around.

He heard Aerie pause, then tentatively head for the stairs. “I… I’m sorry,” she said at last. “And… good luck, Harrian. May the Gods watch over you.”

He didn’t answer, and only paused in his beating when he heard her head up the stairs. They haven’t been watching very much lately…

Thump. Thump. Thump.

He didn’t know what time it was, didn’t know how long he’d been there, didn’t know when he would leave. That all seemed to be irrelevant.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

“You really should eat something.”

Harrian paused to see Reynald, out of armour and looking freshly bathed, step up to the workbench on Harrian’s right to set down a plate of bread and beef, and a tankard of something.

“Why? Eating’s for the living,” Harrian said, resuming his punching. Reynald didn’t answer.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

“You’re doing it all wrong, clenching your fist like that. You’re just going to break a finger that way,” Reynald told him at last, giving his fighting stance a critical glance.

“That’ll heal.”

“Not soon. Anomen’s gone back with Imoen to the cemetery, and we still have to stock up on potions.”

“Then I’ll survive until either Anomen gets back or it sorts itself out.”

Reynald grimaced a little. “What’s possessed you to do this, anyway?” he asked at last. “You strike me as a man who relies on wits and skill rather than brute strength. I wouldn’t have thought you to use a punching bag to hone your abilities.”

Thump. Thump. Thump.

“It’s something Khalid always used to get me to do when we first started out on the road,” Harrian explained at last.

“Khalid?”

“Jaheira’s husband.” Reynald nodded, wearing an expression of realisation. It seemed that Khalid’s existence was not news to him. ”He taught me how to fight. Jaheira taught me how to think. Montaron taught me how to steal. Xzar taught me what not to do. Dynaheir taught me self-discipline – maybe a little badly.”

Thump. Thump. Thump.

“Kivan taught me that revenge can be hollow. Shar-Teel taught me that hatred gives you strength. Viconia taught me that cynicism keeps you alive. Ajantis taught me that the dictates of honour can be more destructive than empowering.”

Thump. Thump. Thump.

“These are fellows I met up north. Not all grand, upstanding members of society, but warriors with their own moral code – well, maybe not Montaron and Xzar – and with a role to play in life. They’re all dead now.” Harrian chuckled humourlessly. “I even killed Ajantis myself, at a time when I thought he was free of me forever.”

Thump. Thump. Thump.

“It’s ironic, really. All of these people, these people that taught me something before Irenicus, who helped me in the past, are dead. Or, in the case of Imoen and Minsc, are still bound to me by something. The only exception is Edwin, who’s alive and well somewhere else… and didn’t actually help or teach me anything in the first place.” Again, the cold chuckle. “And they call me crazy when I get concerned about those around me dropping dead. I’m a son of murder. Death is all people get from me.”

Thump. Thud.

The sandbag had, after repeated beating on a thick but slightly rotting rope, finally given in and fell to the floor at Harrian’s final punch, the bag splitting and depositing its faintly stinking contents across the cold stone floor.

Harrian ignored it, turning to Reynald, who was looking faintly concerned. “So do not think, Reynald de Chatillon, that this is a home of upright adventurers who will guide you on the right path to redemption and justice. This is a home of death. Any redemption along the way is… temporary.”

“All things are temporary if we hold death as the ultimate ending,” Reynald said coolly, his expression calming a little as he himself bit into the crust of bread he’d brought, seeing that Harrian was very uninterested. “I currently have nothing to live for, Lord Corias. So if in your company death is guaranteed and redemption a possibility along the way, there is no better place for me to be.”

Harrian snorted and started to pace slowly. “If you accept that, then so be it. There are currently forces at work that are greater than we are, and we must but follow them. I still have a task to do. And I shall welcome that assistance. But… we are not fame and fortune seekers.” He spat on the floor, shaking his head. “And don’t call me Lord Corias. I’m no damned lord.”

“I never considered this party to be of the frivolous ilk that frequent taverns, Harrian,” Reynald replied without missing a beat. “But people change when they are in your company. And often for the better. And if they meet death at your side… well, we all meet death someday. Yes, you live a dangerous life, because of your heritage. But we choose to run that risk. You may not be able to accept it, Harrian Corias, but there is a light within you that causes people to stand by your side and face death over and over.”

Harrian snorted again. “I know there is. It’s called death’s lantern.”

Reynald paused, obviously a little stuck by this answer. “I doubt it is as simple as that. You cannot shoulder the blame for everyone who falls behind. At the very least, it’s arrogant. None of these people are bound to you by anything except friendship. If they die, it is for friendship. Where is the darkness in that?” Harrian finally fell silent, and Reynald took advantage of the moment to pass him the plate of food. “It is not your fault that they have died. It is not your fault that she has died.”

Harrian swallowed hard, then grimaced and took a large bite of the slice of beef. “She died for my cause.”

“You might argue that she died for her own. I have spoken with Imoen and the others; I know of your history,” Reynald said simply. “You could say she travelled so far with you because of her promise to your father. You could say she travelled so far with you because of her desire to avenge her husband. Or she travelled so far with you because of her love for you.”

Harrian remained silent, chewing and staring at the wall.

“So, you see, there are many forces at work here. Mostly love, in its different forms. There is no more darkness in these deaths than there needs to be – and there is already plenty. But you shoulder responsibility where there is none.” Reynald’s expression hardened. “Responsibility comes when it is your fault. Responsibility comes when you could have changed things to stop death from happening. Responsibility comes when the death is at your own hands.”

Harrian paused, and gave Reynald a contemplative look. “You know of this responsibility.” It wasn’t a question.

Reynald paused for a long moment, and then stepped towards the weapons rack on the far side of the cellar – where their more expensive, valuable and dangerous weaponry was kept. The great rack with the swords was his target, and it was Carsomyr, the Holy Avenger, he headed to.

“That responsibility took away my light,” Reynald said quietly, in a whisper that could only be heard because of the echoes in the cellar. He raised his hand tentatively, and slowly closed it around the hilt of Carsomyr.

When the others had tried to do that, they had been able to carry the sword a little – for transportation only – but it had been so heavy when held in an aggressive pose that to wield it effectively would have been impossible. That was to be expected for a sword that demanded that only a paladin wield it, and they had only ever seen it moved through a swing by Keldorn.

Never before had the hilt burned the hand of he who grasped it, but it did with Reynald as it sizzled and smoke rose. No pain seemed to cross his face for the few seconds he gripped the great sword, but when he finally withdrew his hand, it was red and sore.

“Have you ever done such that a sword which allows you to wield it based on your righteousness goes so far as to burn you, Harrian Corias?” Reynald asked coolly, calmly sticking his hand in the pail of water next to the rack which was collecting a leak dripping from the ceiling above.

“Well, it doesn’t judge you on your righteousness, it judges you on whether or not you are a paladin… which you’re not. And I’m not either,” Harrian said hesitantly at last.

“No. In fact, I am so much not a paladin that not only does this sword not allow me to use it, it repels me. That is quite a feat of darkness.” Reynald wrapped a cleaning cloth around his raw hand, and stepped towards the thief. “How many actions have you taken that are truly dark, Harrian?”

He shrugged uncomfortably. “I… don’t know. I like to think that I’m a moral man. I try not to kill when it is unnecessary.” Was Ployer unnecessary?

“Then do not pretend to be a creature of darkness when you stand next to a man who has killed unnecessarily; who has gone so far in his sins that his god has rejected him and cast him out of favour,” Reynald said quietly, with more sadness than bitterness, as he leant against the worktable next to Harrian.

The thief considered this. “I have not yet asked you what you did to Fall.”

“This is true,” Reynald agreed. “And now might be a wise time.” Harrian threw him a look, and he took a deep, almost painful-sounding breath. “I don’t know if I was ever a righteous man. I think I was a good man, but I was more good because it was… what I did, rather than that I believed it. I followed the tenets of the Order, I did as they bid, and I lived as I supposed I should.” He paused. “Did that make me a good man?”

“It didn’t make you a bad one. Actions can be as much as intent,” Harrian replied calmly.

“I suppose.” Reynald waved his hand dismissively. “But, anyhow, I did all that was required of me, including going to the various balls and parties to which we knights were invited. One such party was at the house of the Count Duchinov – do you know him?”

Harrian squirmed a little. “We’ve had… dealings with him.”

“A snake of a man, but he has influence so the Order humours him as long as he does not step out of line. Anyhow, I always found the balls to be dull and insipid. Until I met Celestine.” Reynald gave a very pained version of the lover’s sigh. “And she was… a breath of fresh air into my otherwise dull life. I knew little of her at first, but she seemed to see in me something that was worth pursuing, or so I thought. We danced, we talked, but when rumours filtered through the guests that Duchinov had been robbed, she seemed to disappear. I thought nothing of it at the time… though I suppose it was of her doing.”

Harrian shifted uncomfortably.

“Anyhow, I then left promptly. I kept thinking about her, however – she plagued my thoughts, and had captured my heart in that night without me even realising it. So when, two days later, she appeared at the next ball, I was overjoyed.” A sad smile crossed Reynald’s face.

“We became, I suppose, a courting couple for some weeks, going to the various balls together, and for once I had something in life I could be, finally… passionate about. I was, possibly… even happy. But it did not last.

“She was a part of a small group of independent thieves, who did the dangerous business of operating under the Shadow Thieves’ nose without their consent. And so, she visited the balls of the nobles of Athkatla, and when she was there she unlocked doors, opened windows, bribed guards… in various ways made it possible for her fellows to sneak in and steal what they could.” Reynald covered his eyes. “And thus did I become a tool.”

“You were cast out of the Order and rejected by Torm for being manipulated by the cunning? They are harsh taskmasters,” Harrian commented, frowning.

“It was not my manipulation that felled me!” Reynald snapped, and Harrian jumped a little at the sight of the first strong emotion from the former paladin. “It was my actions when I discovered it.” He paused, taking a few more calming breaths. “Finally, I was invited to the house of Jysstev by the lord, who is a friend of my family’s. He told me to bring that charming lady he had met so many times at balls, and so, like a fool I did.

“She managed to sneak away from the dinner party, and for once I actually noticed she was gone. She had professed to be a little under the weather that night, so, in concern, I followed her. In time to find her in the kitchens, with the back door open, surrounded by a group of rogues.

“I was stunned, too surprised to move, not knowing what to think, and so it was easy for one of the rogues to knock me out. When Lord Jysstev brought me back to consciousness, the rogues were gone, and so was Celestine – in my ignorance, I assumed that they had kidnapped her. It did not cross my mind that stealing riches from nobles is a very different form of law-breaking to kidnapping.” He gave Harrian a small, benevolent smile, which the Bhaalspawn thief returned slightly.

“So I tried to hunt down these rogues. I was fortunately aided by Duchinov, whose ‘handyman’ was able to find me their location – a run-down building in the Slums. They were wealthy, but would not spend money in Athkatla for fear of alerting the Shadow Thieves. I believe they were planning to move on to somewhere else to spend their riches very shortly. But I knew where they were. And I went alone.

“I went with my sword and my armour and my rage… and nothing else. And when I opened the door, and saw the rogues seated around the table with no sign of my Celestine, I attacked them. Their weapons were not at hand, they were not warriors who would be a match for an armed, trained, and angry knight, and so I… cut them down instantly. Instantly. And when, seconds later, Celestine emerged from a side door dressed as they were, and plainly not being held against her will… I almost killed her too.” Reynald lowered his head, covering his eyes as his shoulders shook a little. “I held my anger, however. I held it enough for her to stare, and scream, and run to her companions. And then I held it enough to let her leave.”

Harrian waited, but it seemed Reynald had little more to say after this. “You killed them, thinking that they were… kidnappers and murderers,” he said at last.

Reynald looked up. “But they were not. Does my ignorance pardon my behaviour? I could have, I suppose, sought forgiveness from Torm, but I did not. I promptly fell in with Anarg and his men, and then carried on to shun my god as he shunned me.” He shook his head. “I did not do what a paladin should have done. A paladin should have alerted the guard, or at least the Order, and marched in with a clear head. A paladin should not have struck down in anger those unable to defend themselves. A paladin should not have passed judgement when the whole picture, or even that beyond a small corner of it, was available. I did all those things. I murdered six men whose only crime was the theft of small riches from those wealthy enough to not even notice they had been robbed. And you think I do not deserve to be a Fallen Paladin?”

Harrian sat down on the workbench and took a swig from the tankard. Black Ale. He passed it to Reynald. “You made a mistake. A big one, for sure.”

“And one I shall atone for,” Reynald said calmly, also sipping from the tankard. “So, you see, Harrian Corias, you are not responsible for those who fall. They fall because they fight with you, truly. But they have chosen to fight for you. Because they see the light within you. I see that light, and I know it is not death’s lantern… because I know what death’s lantern looks like.”

Harrian stared at the floor for a few long moments before nodding. “I… very well, Reynald de Chatillon,” he said at last, his voice thick.

The Fallen Paladin stood up and clapped him on the back. “And Celestine may not be actually dead… but she might as well be, to me, for she is lost forever and I am forced to see that my love was a mockery. You have lost your love as well… but revel in what you had, and know that it was true.”

Harrian closed his eyes, leaning back against the wall slowly. “It was true, I know. And that is why it hurts so very much.”

#2 Guest_argan_*

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:42 PM

Hey ho

Great chapter :twisted:

#3 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 29 October 2003 - 10:33 PM

What I enjoy most about your writing is your nuanced portrayals of your characters and your sophisticated understanding of humanity. Every time I read your stories, my breath catches: your characters come off as real people (as opposed to approximations of humanity), living in a plausible world. Every time I open one of your posts, I remember your excellent characterization skills, but I keep forgetting how astonishingly good they are...until I read another episode. :lol:

Kudos! And I wish you luck in your future literary projects.

#4 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:15 AM

[quote]Well, I was going to be trying to finish the fic tonight, as I'm halfway through the last chapter, but a certain someone (who shall remain unnamed) kept poking me to post the next one!!!
[/quote]

I think I might be able to guess...

[quote]
And as this is one of my favourites, I had to comply. :P Still intend to be finished by the end of the evening... almost through the fluffy goodness of the finale, touching on the grim foreshadowing of final lines. :( Anyway, enjoy this chapter! I love it. And not just for the title - though it's one of my favourite titles (right after Chapter 44: Return to the Copper Coronet!).
[/quote]

You're great at titles :D . I've occasionally spent up to an hour trying to think of a title for my fics, and still failed to find a good one...
[quote]

[quote]
The heavy bag full of sand shook with every strike, shuddering under the blows and swinging on the thick rope that suspended it in the air. He hadn’t paid it much attention before now; had just known it was one of Anomen’s training toys and left it in the far corner of the expansive cellar of the Delryn estate. Now, however, it was a very tempting way to release all of his pent-up frustration.
[/quote]

:) He's understandably in a bad way.

[quote]
The others hurried around busily upstairs, preparing for the final departure for Suldanessellar. There was no telling how long they’d be gone, which didn’t particularly bother Harrian that much. He wanted to be gone from this wretched city, with its corruption and its coin and its politics, as soon as was physically possible. Once Irenicus was dead… well, who knew where his path would then take him? His destiny was still out there, ruling him. He just intended to be ruled far away from Amn. The country sickened him. Even the north was preferable to this. Once he was free – if, indeed, he ever was free – he planned to head for Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Luskan… wherever his skills would take him. He was still young, still only twenty-two, and already more powerful than some twice his age. A way of life would not be hard to find. He had never had a home. His home had always been whatever road he travelled at any given moment.
[/quote]

Aw - horrible to see him hating everything about his life so much.

[quote]
He hadn’t thought about any future with Jaheira. It had always been a dream to even consider it; something just beyond all reach, overshadowed by Irenicus and by his heritage. And a part of him had not dared to look that far ahead; had only live for the now. And the now was gone.
[/quote]

:)

[quote]
“There’s a caravan to Waterdeep leaving this evening. I’m going with it,” Aerie said falteringly. “Unless you need my services, now…?”
[/quote]

He needs friends, that's for sure. But hopefully the others will look after him.

[quote]
“Go. You helped today. Now live your own life. Whatever kept you here – a debt, a bond, a sense of honour – consider it ended. You’ve repaid your debt, do not need to remain here to consider there to be a bond between us, and honour is not something to die for. Go.” Harrian still didn’t look around.
[/quote]

Maybe she just stayed because she was your friend, Harrian - sure you're upset, but don't take it out on everyone else.

[quote]
He didn’t answer, and only paused in his beating when he heard her head up the stairs. They haven’t been watching very much lately…
[/quote]

LOL! Sorry, guess it's kind of inconsiderate to laugh - but it was quite funny, in a dark humour sort of way :idea:

[quote]
“Not soon. Anomen’s gone back with Imoen to the cemetery, and we still have to stock up on potions.”
[/quote]

Hope Ano does some book hunting while he's there...

[quote]
“Kivan taught me that revenge can be hollow. Shar-Teel taught me that hatred gives you strength. Viconia taught me that cynicism keeps you alive. Ajantis taught me that the dictates of honour can be more destructive than empowering.”
[/quote]

This bit was cool - very nice ring to it.

[quote]
The only exception is Edwin, who’s alive and well somewhere else… and didn’t actually help or teach me anything in the first place.” [/quote]

LOL! Hmm - how about 'it's a bad idea to play around with nether scrolls'? But I guess maybe Harrian could have worked that one out on his own :cry:

[quote]
Harrian ignored it, turning to Reynald, who was looking faintly concerned. “So do not think, Reynald de Chatillon, that this is a home of upright adventurers who will guide you on the right path to redemption and justice. This is a home of death. Any redemption along the way is… temporary.”
[/quote]

:) OK Harrian, fair enough you're in a black mood, but this is going a bit far now. And if Jaheira could see you now, she would definitely not be impressed.

[quote]
“I never considered this party to be of the frivolous ilk that frequent taverns, Harrian,” Reynald replied without missing a beat. “But people change when they are in your company. And often for the better. And if they meet death at your side… well, we all meet death someday. Yes, you live a dangerous life, because of your heritage. But we choose to run that risk. You may not be able to accept it, Harrian Corias, but there is a light within you that causes people to stand by your side and face death over and over.”
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Nice line :cry: .

[quote]
Reynald paused, obviously a little stuck by this answer. “I doubt it is as simple as that. You cannot shoulder the blame for everyone who falls behind. At the very least, it’s arrogant. None of these people are bound to you by anything except friendship. If they die, it is for friendship. Where is the darkness in that?” Harrian finally fell silent, and Reynald took advantage of the moment to pass him the plate of food. “It is not your fault that they have died. It is not your fault that she has died.”
[/quote]

Listen to him, Harrian - he's making a lot of sense here.

[quote]
“You might argue that she died for her own. I have spoken with Imoen and the others; I know of your history,” Reynald said simply. “You could say she travelled so far with you because of her promise to your father. You could say she travelled so far with you because of her desire to avenge her husband. Or she travelled so far with you because of her love for you.”
[/quote]

8) Aww...

[quote]
Never before had the hilt burned the hand of he who grasped it, but it did with Reynald as it sizzled and smoke rose. No pain seemed to cross his face for the few seconds he gripped the great sword, but when he finally withdrew his hand, it was red and sore.
[/quote]

Ouch. Poor guy.

[quote]
“Have you ever done such that a sword which allows you to wield it based on your righteousness goes so far as to burn you, Harrian Corias?” Reynald asked coolly, calmly sticking his hand in the pail of water next to the rack which was collecting a leak dripping from the ceiling above.
[/quote]

I like the little detail about the bucket :o

[quote]
He shrugged uncomfortably. “I… don’t know. I like to think that I’m a moral man. I try not to kill when it is unnecessary.” Was Ployer unnecessary?
[/quote]

from a 'dumb paladin' pov, probably. But I really wouldn't stress about him, if I were you :lol:

[quote]
“Then do not pretend to be a creature of darkness when you stand next to a man who has killed unnecessarily; who has gone so far in his sins that his god has rejected him and cast him out of favour,” Reynald said quietly, with more sadness than bitterness, as he leant against the worktable next to Harrian.
[/quote]

:P Poor Reynald. But this attitude is just what Harrian needs to snap him out of this mood.

[quote]
“We became, I suppose, a courting couple for some weeks, going to the various balls together, and for once I had something in life I could be, finally… passionate about. I was, possibly… even happy. But it did not last.
[/quote]

:) Aw.

[quote]
Harrian waited, but it seemed Reynald had little more to say after this. “You killed them, thinking that they were… kidnappers and murderers,” he said at last.
[/quote]

:( Poor Reynald - wholly understandable, why he did what he did. But also obviously his fault that those people are dead. Not easy to judge, really.

[quote]
Harrian closed his eyes, leaning back against the wall slowly. “It was true, I know. And that is why it hurts so very much.”[/quote]

:( Aww...

Great chapter :)

#5 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:24 AM

Hey ho

I'll never get you two to forget that, will I?

Great chapter :lol:

And I should think so, considering how much you pestered me!! :) Cheers, anyway!

#6 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:29 AM

What I enjoy most about your writing is your nuanced portrayals of your characters and your sophisticated understanding of humanity. Every time I read your stories, my breath catches: your characters come off as real people (as opposed to approximations of humanity), living in a plausible world. Every time I open one of your posts, I remember your excellent characterization skills, but I keep forgetting how astonishingly good they are...until I read another episode. :)

Well... what can I say... except thanks? A lot? :(

Seriously, thanks. It's always great to get this sort of feedback. I've always prided (prid? pridded? prad? late night grammar issues!) myself on my characterisations, and it's what's made Tide so rewarding - plot? Meh! :lol: Chapters like this are my bread and butter, so it's wonderful when my favourites get the recognition.

And you did make my night with the comment. :) I shall now celebrate with ice-cream... mmm...

Kudos! And I wish you luck in your future literary projects.

Cheers! I've fortunately narrowed my options down to two, one of which is ToB. Maybe I could write both, and just give myself ulcers... anyway, I'll work it out...

Cheers muchos!

#7 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 01:15 AM

[quote]
I think I might be able to guess...
[/quote]

There are CLUES of this mysterious poker who never leaves me alone... :(

[quote]
You're great at titles :o . I've occasionally spent up to an hour trying to think of a title for my fics, and still failed to find a good one...
[quote]
[/quote]

Ha! I hate titles! Sometimes they come to me - this one popped up from the line of Harrian's - but generally I just pick a word at random!

Okay, chapter titles I can cope with, but fic titles... no. I don't even like Tide of Destiny - it's pretty superficial. :P

(Working title for ToB fic is Rise of Chaos, to keep it in the same theme. And with Chaos being sown in their passage... it fits a bit more)

[quote]
:( He's understandably in a bad way.
[/quote]

Yes. Not a happy bunny.

[quote]
Aw - horrible to see him hating everything about his life so much.
[/quote]

To be fair, he right now has NOTHING to be chirpy about. He has friends who will support him, but they're supporting him through dark times. He's just had his anchor to loving life yanked away from him.

[quote]
He needs friends, that's for sure. But hopefully the others will look after him.
[/quote]

Yeah. Aerie could help a lot, though, as he opened up to her more than any of the others in the Underdark. But right now, she's... moving on.

[quote]
Maybe she just stayed because she was your friend, Harrian - sure you're upset, but don't take it out on everyone else.
[/quote]

Well, as he says later, he thinks he's doing what's best to keep her alive by sending her away.

And, considering how dangerous his company is, he's sort of right. She should be by his side if she chooses to be, not out of any obligation.

[quote]
LOL! Sorry, guess it's kind of inconsiderate to laugh - but it was quite funny, in a dark humour sort of way :)
[/quote]

Dark humour is my favourite kind. :D Along with sarcastic.

[quote]
Hope Ano does some book hunting while he's there...
[/quote]

Well, Anomen's not a scholar...

[quote]
This bit was cool - very nice ring to it.
[/quote]

Cheers. The whole sequence just spilled out. I have NO idea how or why Kivan, Shar-Teel, or, most of all, Viconia wound up dead. Of course, Harrian could just be dramatic, and they could just be MISSING...

[quote]
LOL! Hmm - how about 'it's a bad idea to play around with nether scrolls'? But I guess maybe Harrian could have worked that one out on his own :)
[/quote]

LOL! Possibly! :D

[quote]
:) OK Harrian, fair enough you're in a black mood, but this is going a bit far now. And if Jaheira could see you now, she would definitely not be impressed.
[/quote]

No. She'd probably whack him around the head...

[quote]
Nice line 8) .
[/quote]

Cheers. I like it a lot. :idea:

[quote]
Listen to him, Harrian - he's making a lot of sense here.
[/quote]

And whilst people have said in the past that Harrian's being stupid when he goes on about people dying because of him, Reynald's the first to put it in such simple, true terms.

[quote]
:( Aww...
[/quote]

*sniff*

[quote]
Ouch. Poor guy.
[/quote]

Yeah. The sword repels him. That's pretty bad.

[quote]
I like the little detail about the bucket :P
[/quote]

Well, that came out something like this:

Muse: And he needs to cool his hand after burning it, so he needs water.

Slide: Water? Where from?

Muse: A bucket of water, duh!

Slide: Why is there a bucket of water in the armoury??

Muse: To... erm... catch a leak! Yeah, that's it!!

[quote]
from a 'dumb paladin' pov, probably. But I really wouldn't stress about him, if I were you :lol:
[/quote]

No. But Harrian did kill him without batting an eye.

[quote]
:( Poor Reynald. But this attitude is just what Harrian needs to snap him out of this mood.
[/quote]

Exactly. The others can't really poke him as much.

[quote]
:( Aw.
[/quote]

I know. I feel really sorry for Reynald. I don't know if I marry him or my Anomen. :cry:

[quote]
:( Poor Reynald - wholly understandable, why he did what he did. But also obviously his fault that those people are dead. Not easy to judge, really.
[/quote]

Exactly - he IS a murderer, and he has done a terrible thing, but it's not black and white.

[quote]
:) Aww...
[/quote]

*sniff*

[quote]
Great chapter :)[/quote]

Cheers! One of my favourites. :cry:

#8 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:27 AM

Well, I was going to be trying to finish the fic tonight, as I'm halfway through the last chapter, but a certain someone (who shall remain unnamed) kept poking me to post the next one!!!

Poor you. Well, at least you don't know what it means being poked by me. Not yet. :wink:

Don't you DARE leave for Suldanessellar! There's a lovely druid to be restored first, GRRRR!

I think that Theo agrees with Harrian's assessment on Amn - it's a despicable place to live... though, Jaheira fancies Imnesvale, so... :cry:

Yeah, I fail to see any point of existence when faced with such prospects. ;)

No, she can never replace Jaheira. Regardless of how much she wants to.

He heard Aerie pause, then tentatively head for the stairs. “I… I’m sorry,” she said at last. “And… good luck, Harrian. May the Gods watch over you.”

Yep, and a good luck to (this) Aerie. She'll probably find someone, and settle down - I hate the assumption that if a Bhaalspawn doesn't romance one of the ladies, said lady has to spend the rest of her life alone and bitter. As if the Bhaalspawn was the only decent man on Faerun. Pfui. :lol:

Oh, that's a good sign. Unless... they went to bargain for a gravestone. AAARGH!

“These are fellows I met up north. Not all grand, upstanding members of society, but warriors with their own moral code – well, maybe not Montaron and Xzar – and with a role to play in life. They’re all dead now.” Harrian chuckled humourlessly. “I even killed Ajantis myself, at a time when I thought he was free of me forever.”

All dead? Oh, well... :wink:

“All things are temporary if we hold death as the ultimate ending,” Reynald said coolly, his expression calming a little as he himself bit into the crust of bread he’d brought, seeing that Harrian was very uninterested. “I currently have nothing to live for, Lord Corias. So if in your company death is guaranteed and redemption a possibility along the way, there is no better place for me to be.”

Oh, very nice comeback. The guy has a wisdom of a *real* paladin.

I doubt that Harrian would see it that way. Well, the Bhaalspawn has himself to blame for many ruined lives... not by his choice, but...

Yes, but had the Bhaalspawn never existed... Jaheira and Khalid may be a happy Harper couple, still... there's lots of blame to be found, an noone is as good as finding it as Harrian.

Nice, delicate touch. ;)

Nope. Ployer deserved every bit he got. I see no questions there.

“It didn’t make you a bad one. Actions can be as much as intent,” Harrian replied calmly.

Well, actions is what we judge others from, simply because we might not necessary know the intent. Of course, the deity supporting the paladin, might have a different look at things.

“I suppose.” Reynald waved his hand dismissively. “But, anyhow, I did all that was required of me, including going to the various balls and parties to which we knights were invited. One such party was at the house of the Count Duchinov – do you know him?”

Hmm, I remember that well. Jaheira looked positively stunning that eve. :D

“A snake of a man, but he has influence so the Order humours him as long as he does not step out of line. Anyhow, I always found the balls to be dull and insipid. Until I met Celestine.” Reynald gave a very pained version of the lover’s sigh. “And she was… a breath of fresh air into my otherwise dull life. I knew little of her at first, but she seemed to see in me something that was worth pursuing, or so I thought. We danced, we talked, but when rumours filtered through the guests that Duchinov had been robbed, she seemed to disappear. I thought nothing of it at the time… though I suppose it was of her doing.”

Yikes. This isn't going to be a happy story, is it?

“I went with my sword and my armour and my rage… and nothing else. And when I opened the door, and saw the rogues seated around the table with no sign of my Celestine, I attacked them. Their weapons were not at hand, they were not warriors who would be a match for an armed, trained, and angry knight, and so I… cut them down instantly. Instantly. And when, seconds later, Celestine emerged from a side door dressed as they were, and plainly not being held against her will… I almost killed her too.” Reynald lowered his head, covering his eyes as his shoulders shook a little. “I held my anger, however. I held it enough for her to stare, and scream, and run to her companions. And then I held it enough to let her leave.”

OH. DEAR. ;)

A poor consolation, I'm afraid. And here, Harrian was worried about wasting Ployer. Ployer!!!??? :|

Reynald looked up. “But they were not. Does my ignorance pardon my behaviour? I could have, I suppose, sought forgiveness from Torm, but I did not. I promptly fell in with Anarg and his men, and then carried on to shun my god as he shunned me.” He shook his head. “I did not do what a paladin should have done. A paladin should have alerted the guard, or at least the Order, and marched in with a clear head. A paladin should not have struck down in anger those unable to defend themselves. A paladin should not have passed judgement when the whole picture, or even that beyond a small corner of it, was available. I did all those things. I murdered six men whose only crime was the theft of small riches from those wealthy enough to not even notice they had been robbed. And you think I do not deserve to be a Fallen Paladin?”

I think that's quite enough to make him fall, yes.

The Fallen Paladin stood up and clapped him on the back. “And Celestine may not be actually dead… but she might as well be, to me, for she is lost forever and I am forced to see that my love was a mockery. You have lost your love as well… but revel in what you had, and know that it was true.”

Harrian closed his eyes, leaning back against the wall slowly. “It was true, I know. And that is why it hurts so very much.”

*bawl* Hopefully Imoen and Ano return soon and with good news.

#9 Guest_argan_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 11:08 AM

Hey ho

I'll never get you two to forget that, will I?

No way :wink:

Great chapter :D

And I should think so, considering how much you pestered me!! :cry: Cheers, anyway!

No, I think I said it just like...4 times? :wink:

#10 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 03:26 PM

Poor you. Well, at least you don't know what it means being poked by me. Not yet. :wink:

Nothing to poke about now! Because I'm done! Done! Done! Finished! Finito! Hahaha!!!

Ahem. Mildly gleeful. :) :wink:

Don't you DARE leave for Suldanessellar! There's a lovely druid to be restored first, GRRRR!

He doesn't know that. :)

I think that Theo agrees with Harrian's assessment on Amn - it's a despicable place to live... though, Jaheira fancies Imnesvale, so... :|

Harrian more hates Athkatla. And he doesn't like Trademeet too much, either... I think he's sick of the weather and the cuisine, meself. ;)

Yeah, I fail to see any point of existence when faced with such prospects. :)

He has a point. Just right now, it seems as if all he has is battle after battle.

No, she can never replace Jaheira. Regardless of how much she wants to.

:) Hey hey hey! My Aerie doesn't want to! Any feelings she had for Harrian were battered aside once she realised that his heart was Jaheira's!

Yep, and a good luck to (this) Aerie. She'll probably find someone, and settle down - I hate the assumption that if a Bhaalspawn doesn't romance one of the ladies, said lady has to spend the rest of her life alone and bitter. As if the Bhaalspawn was the only decent man on Faerun. Pfui. ;)

LOL! I know! But I, personally, find Aerie's non-romanced epilogue to be one of the most rewarding. She goes off and finds a backbone. ;)

Oh, that's a good sign. Unless... they went to bargain for a gravestone. AAARGH!

LOL! No. That would be TOO morbid.

All dead? Oh, well... :D

Well, I think so. Harrian might have just been being melodramatic.

Oh, very nice comeback. The guy has a wisdom of a *real* paladin.

Despite what he says, I think he was a very good paladin before he Fell. And he has a path back to the light laid out for him, if he chooses to walk it.

I doubt that Harrian would see it that way. Well, the Bhaalspawn has himself to blame for many ruined lives... not by his choice, but...

No... but Harrian does tend to shoulder these things a lot. And, like Reynald said, that's pretty arrogant of him.

Yes, but had the Bhaalspawn never existed... Jaheira and Khalid may be a happy Harper couple, still... there's lots of blame to be found, an noone is as good as finding it as Harrian.

Reynald believes in dishing out blame for actions, not circumstances. Which is a pretty good way to do it. Of course, if Harrian had never existed, then things might have been smoother, but then again... Sarevok might have ascended to Lord of Murder. Who knows. All you can do is cope with what HAS happened.

Nice, delicate touch. :)

I've had this scene in my head for AGES. :cry:

Nope. Ployer deserved every bit he got. I see no questions there.

Harrian did rather just kill him as an after thought, mind...

Well, actions is what we judge others from, simply because we might not necessary know the intent. Of course, the deity supporting the paladin, might have a different look at things.

True. And Reynald's being a bit hard on himself there.

Hmm, I remember that well. Jaheira looked positively stunning that eve. :lol:

It's part of my "Let's torture Jaheira!" obsession, as I did in TWH... She's just faaaar to easy a target for such things.

Besides, who else was it going to be? Haer'Dalis?!?!

Yikes. This isn't going to be a happy story, is it?

Nope. It's never quite said what happened to Reynald in the game, or why he Fell, but it was hinted that it was because of a woman...

OH. DEAR. ;)

Yes. Not cheerful.

A poor consolation, I'm afraid. And here, Harrian was worried about wasting Ployer. Ployer!!!??? ;)

Exactly. Reynald went off and killed some fairly minor thieves who weren't hurting anyone...

I think that's quite enough to make him fall, yes.

Yes. Without condemning him like Anarg.

*bawl* Hopefully Imoen and Ano return soon and with good news.

That'll be next chapter. ;)

#11 Guest_Yazston_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 08:56 PM

*Sigh* This is the third time I'm trying to finish this chapter. Not because I didn't like it, (No, scroll down..) but because every time someone came and disturbed me.. :)

I love it. And not just for the title - though it's one of my favourite titles (right after Chapter 44: Return to the Copper Coronet!).

You're not the only one who loved this chapter.. :cry:

And the name, I liked that very much, too! ;)

The others hurried around busily upstairs, preparing for the final departure for Suldanessellar. There was no telling how long they’d be gone, which didn’t particularly bother Harrian that much. He wanted to be gone from this wretched city, with its corruption and its coin and its politics, as soon as was physically possible. Once Irenicus was dead… well, who knew where his path would then take him? His destiny was still out there, ruling him. He just intended to be ruled far away from Amn.

Ooo! I really liked this paragraph! ;)

(lol Didn't know what to say.. sorry!)

Best she depart on her own life as soon as possible, instead of lingering with this tainted group of adventurers.

Tainted group of adventurers...? ;) Well, don't want to be mean and I know you're sad, but pitying yourself doesn't lead to anywhere.. :) (And that is what it sounds like - you're pitying yourself)

(And I didn't remember the right word.. :wink: )

Why does she want to go there?

He didn’t know what time it was, didn’t know how long he’d been there, didn’t know when he would leave. That all seemed to be irrelevant.

Poor him... :)

“Why? Eating’s for the living,” Harrian said, resuming his punching. Reynald didn’t answer.

And... you are alive, aren't you? ;)

Reynald grimaced a little. “What’s possessed you to do this, anyway?” he asked at last. “You strike me as a man who relies on wits and skill rather than brute strength. I wouldn’t have thought you to use a punching bag to hone your abilities.”

“It’s something Khalid always used to get me to do when we first started out on the road,” Harrian explained at last.

Hmm... Didn't you say earlier, that he hadn't used a punching bag before? (Or something like that.) And now he has used it? lol I'm tired so I might be not concentrating enough...

And I agree with Reynald - I've always thought he's a man who relies on his wits and skills.

“Xzar taught me what not to do.”

:| That's Xzar!

“Death is all people get from me.”

And life is unfair, and all that? ;) Harrian, please.. I know you're sad, but you cannot blame yourself for everything that happens.

Reynald said coolly, his expression calming a little as he himself bit into the crust of bread he’d brought, seeing that Harrian was very uninterested.

Ooo! Yess! You're so very good! I like your characters! They're so... well, 'normal'. So, human? (Ugh, dunno how to explain. I'm not a native-speaker and I don't know the words. :D )

Yeah! Listen to Reynald! :) He's wise!

*Groan* Stop that, okay? I know you're sad and I know you've lost Jaheira, but must you be so stubborn??

“So, you see, there are many forces at work here. Mostly love, in its different forms. There is no more darkness in these deaths than there needs to be – and there is already plenty. But you shoulder responsibility where there is none.”

I really love your conversations between the characters. ;) They feel so... real.

“Have you ever done such that a sword which allows you to wield it based on your righteousness goes so far as to burn you, Harrian Corias?”

What has he done? :)

Reynald looked up. “I could have, I suppose, sought forgiveness from Torm, but I did not. I promptly fell in with Anarg and his men, and then carried on to shun my god as he shunned me.”

But, he regrets what he has done, right? So, why can't Torm forgive him?
(I know, he killed the men, and it was unnecessary, but still..)

:lol: Are they going to visit the temple soon?

Wow! What an episode.. :wink: Really liked the conversation!

#12 Guest_Yazston_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:03 PM

FU*K!! :wink:

I was going to quote your story, and when I clicked submit, it crashed and destroyed my whole post!

(This was what I got:

Could not insert new word matches

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1016 Can't open file: 'pn_phpbb_search_wordmatch.MYD'. (errno: 145)

INSERT INTO pn_phpbb_search_wordmatch (post_id, word_id, title_match) SELECT 190435, word_id, 0 FROM pn_phpbb_search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN ('sigh', 'third', 'trying', 'finish', 'chapter', 'scroll', 'someone', 'came', 'disturbed', 'love', 'title', 'one', 'favorite', 'titles', 'right', 'return', 'copper', 'coronet', 'loved', 'wink', 'name', 'others', 'hurried', 'busily', 'upstairs', 'preparing', 'final', 'departure', 'suldanessellar', 'telling', 'long', 'didn', 'particularly', 'bother', 'harrian', 'wanted', 'wretched', 'city', 'corruption', 'coin', 'politics', 'physically', 'possible', 'irenicus', 'dead', 'knew', 'path', 'destiny', 'still', 'ruling', 'intended', 'ruled', 'away', 'amn', 'ooo', 'paragraph', 'lol', 'sorry', 'depart', 'own', 'life', 'instead', 'lingering', 'tainted', 'group', 'adventurers', 'mean', 'sad', 'pitying', 'yourself', 'lead', 'sounds', 'remember', 'word', 'caravan', 'waterdeep', 'leaving', 'evening', 'aerie', 'falteringly', 'unless', 'services', 'leave', 'seemed', 'irrelevent', 'poor', 'eating', 'living', 'resuming', 'punching', 'reynald', 'alive', 'grimaced', 'possessed', 'anyway', 'asked', 'last', 'strike', 'man', 'relies', 'wits', 'skill', 'brute', 'strength', 'wouldn', 'thought', 'bag', 'hone', 'abilities', 'khalid', 'always', 'used', 'first', 'started', 'road', 'explained', 'hmm', 'earlier', 'hadnt', 'tired', 'might', 'concentrating', 'enough', 'agree', 'ive', 'hes', 'skills', 'xzar', 'taught', 'death', 'people', 'unfair', 'cannot', 'blame', 'everything', 'happens', 'coolly', 'expression', 'calming', 'himself', 'bit', 'crust', 'bread', 'brought', 'seeing', 'uninterested', 'yess', 'characters', 'normal', 'human', 'ugh', 'dunno', 'explain', 'nativespeaker', 'words', 'considered', 'party', 'frivolous', 'ilk', 'frequent', 'taverns', 'replied', 'missing', 'beat', 'change', 'company', 'meet', 'side', 'someday', 'live', 'dangerous', 'heritage', 'choose', 'run', 'risk', 'may', 'able', 'accept', 'corias', 'light', 'causes', 'stand', 'face', 'yeah', 'listen', 'wise', 'snorted', 'again', 'called', 'lantern', 'groan', 'stop', 'okay', 'youve', 'lost', 'jaheira', 'stubborn', 'forces', 'work', 'mostly', 'different', 'forms', 'darkness', 'deaths', 'needs', 'already', 'plenty', 'shoulder', 'responsibility', 'conversations', 'feel', 'real', 'done', 'such', 'sword', 'allows', 'wield', 'based', 'righteousness', 'goes', 'burn', 'suppose', 'sought', 'forgiveness', 'torm', 'promptly', 'fell', 'anarg', 'men', 'carried', 'shun', 'god', 'shunned', 'regrets', 'forgive', 'killed', 'unnecessary', 'closed', 'eyes', 'leaning', 'back', 'against', 'wall', 'slowly', 'hurts', 'cry', 'visit', 'temple', 'wow', 'episode', 'mrgreen', 'conversation')

Line : 242
File : /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/modules/PNphpBB2/includes/functions_search.php
)

So, again! FU*K

Well, I really loved your story! And I loved the name, and the whole conversation between your characters, who are, btw, very.. human? (lol I'm not a native-speaker, so I can't find the right word. :wink: )

#13 Guest_Yazston_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:03 PM

FU*K!! :wink:

I was going to quote your story, and when I clicked submit, it crashed and destroyed my whole post!

(This was what I got:

Could not insert new word matches

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1016 Can't open file: 'pn_phpbb_search_wordmatch.MYD'. (errno: 145)

INSERT INTO pn_phpbb_search_wordmatch (post_id, word_id, title_match) SELECT 190435, word_id, 0 FROM pn_phpbb_search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN ('sigh', 'third', 'trying', 'finish', 'chapter', 'scroll', 'someone', 'came', 'disturbed', 'love', 'title', 'one', 'favorite', 'titles', 'right', 'return', 'copper', 'coronet', 'loved', 'wink', 'name', 'others', 'hurried', 'busily', 'upstairs', 'preparing', 'final', 'departure', 'suldanessellar', 'telling', 'long', 'didn', 'particularly', 'bother', 'harrian', 'wanted', 'wretched', 'city', 'corruption', 'coin', 'politics', 'physically', 'possible', 'irenicus', 'dead', 'knew', 'path', 'destiny', 'still', 'ruling', 'intended', 'ruled', 'away', 'amn', 'ooo', 'paragraph', 'lol', 'sorry', 'depart', 'own', 'life', 'instead', 'lingering', 'tainted', 'group', 'adventurers', 'mean', 'sad', 'pitying', 'yourself', 'lead', 'sounds', 'remember', 'word', 'caravan', 'waterdeep', 'leaving', 'evening', 'aerie', 'falteringly', 'unless', 'services', 'leave', 'seemed', 'irrelevent', 'poor', 'eating', 'living', 'resuming', 'punching', 'reynald', 'alive', 'grimaced', 'possessed', 'anyway', 'asked', 'last', 'strike', 'man', 'relies', 'wits', 'skill', 'brute', 'strength', 'wouldn', 'thought', 'bag', 'hone', 'abilities', 'khalid', 'always', 'used', 'first', 'started', 'road', 'explained', 'hmm', 'earlier', 'hadnt', 'tired', 'might', 'concentrating', 'enough', 'agree', 'ive', 'hes', 'skills', 'xzar', 'taught', 'death', 'people', 'unfair', 'cannot', 'blame', 'everything', 'happens', 'coolly', 'expression', 'calming', 'himself', 'bit', 'crust', 'bread', 'brought', 'seeing', 'uninterested', 'yess', 'characters', 'normal', 'human', 'ugh', 'dunno', 'explain', 'nativespeaker', 'words', 'considered', 'party', 'frivolous', 'ilk', 'frequent', 'taverns', 'replied', 'missing', 'beat', 'change', 'company', 'meet', 'side', 'someday', 'live', 'dangerous', 'heritage', 'choose', 'run', 'risk', 'may', 'able', 'accept', 'corias', 'light', 'causes', 'stand', 'face', 'yeah', 'listen', 'wise', 'snorted', 'again', 'called', 'lantern', 'groan', 'stop', 'okay', 'youve', 'lost', 'jaheira', 'stubborn', 'forces', 'work', 'mostly', 'different', 'forms', 'darkness', 'deaths', 'needs', 'already', 'plenty', 'shoulder', 'responsibility', 'conversations', 'feel', 'real', 'done', 'such', 'sword', 'allows', 'wield', 'based', 'righteousness', 'goes', 'burn', 'suppose', 'sought', 'forgiveness', 'torm', 'promptly', 'fell', 'anarg', 'men', 'carried', 'shun', 'god', 'shunned', 'regrets', 'forgive', 'killed', 'unnecessary', 'closed', 'eyes', 'leaning', 'back', 'against', 'wall', 'slowly', 'hurts', 'cry', 'visit', 'temple', 'wow', 'episode', 'mrgreen', 'conversation')

Line : 242
File : /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/modules/PNphpBB2/includes/functions_search.php
)

So, again! FU*K

Well, I really loved your story! And I loved the name, and the whole conversation between your characters, who are, btw, very.. human? (lol I'm not a native-speaker, so I couldn't find the right word. :wink: )

#14 Guest_Yazston_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:11 PM

Damn.. What's wrong?

First, I thought it didn't post my stuff. Then as I notice they did get here, I can't edit neither of them.

Hmm... :wink:

#15 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:15 PM

*Sigh* This is the third time I'm trying to finish this chapter. Not because I didn't like it, (No, scroll down..) but because every time someone came and disturbed me.. :x

Ugh. I hate it when I get interrupted when I sit down to try and read something. Or worse, when I sit down to try and write...

You're not the only one who loved this chapter.. :D

Cheers. ;)

And the name, I liked that very much, too! :)

Blame Harrian. He said the line, and I thought 'Oooh!'

Ooo! I really liked this paragraph! :)

(lol Didn't know what to say.. sorry!)

LOL! Thanks anyway. ;) But yeah, Amn's not Harrian's cup of tea. (difficult bugger, isn't he - rich nobles and a thieves' guild! What more could he want?)

Tainted group of adventurers...? :? Well, don't want to be mean and I know you're sad, but pitying yourself doesn't lead to anywhere.. :( (And that is what it sounds like - you're pitying yourself)

Yeah, he's indulging in self-pity to an extreme amount. But by 'tainted'... well, as far as he can see, everyone in the party has a dark side to themselves, except for Aerie, which is why he's told her to leave and not Reynald, for eg. So she doesn't get 'infected'.

Why does she want to go there?

Because it's a city in Faerun that Slide knows the name of, that's why!! ;)

I don't know. She'll probably find an adventuring group and go on an anti-slaving crusade.

Poor him... :(

Time is becoming... irrelevant.

And... you are alive, aren't you? :|

Yes, but he doesn't quite feel like it.

Hmm... Didn't you say earlier, that he hadn't used a punching bag before? (Or something like that.) And now he has used it? lol I'm tired so I might be not concentrating enough...

:D Nah, I said earlier that he hadn't used THIS punching bag before, as it had been Anomen's. But Khalid was Harrian's mentor and fighting instructor, so it's not inconceivable he set him to use something like this.

And I agree with Reynald - I've always thought he's a man who relies on his wits and skills.

Yeah. Harrian's a swashbuckler, which means he can fight, but he's also a bit more of a people-person than, for eg, an assassin or bounty hunter.

:lol: That's Xzar!

It was the only thing I could think Xzar could teach a sane person! :)

And life is unfair, and all that? :? Harrian, please.. I know you're sad, but you cannot blame yourself for everything that happens.

Harrian has a heavy streak of self-pity when things get bad. It's not even that he's taking responsibility for them - he says its his fault so he has an excuse to feel bad about them.

Ooo! Yess! You're so very good! I like your characters! They're so... well, 'normal'. So, human? (Ugh, dunno how to explain. I'm not a native-speaker and I don't know the words. :wink: )

No, 'human' works perfectly alright. And thank you very much! :)

Yeah! Listen to Reynald! :D He's wise!

He's a smart man. ;)

*Groan* Stop that, okay? I know you're sad and I know you've lost Jaheira, but must you be so stubborn??

Harrian: Well... yes!

I really love your conversations between the characters. :) They feel so... real.

That's what I aim for. Chapters like this are where my forte shows itself - characterisations. ;)

What has he done? :?

He's about to tell...

But, he regrets what he has done, right? So, why can't Torm forgive him?
(I know, he killed the men, and it was unnecessary, but still..)

He regrets what he did, but a key thing is that he didn't run off to a temple for forgiveness afterwards. He fell in with Anarg and the other Fallen, who were involved in slavery, and was so happy about finding some camaraderie that he went along with their actions. Had Anomen and co. not turned up, he could have ended up a slaver sailing the seas. So he regrets what he's done, but Torm's not in a mood to pat him on the head and think that 'sorry' is good enough. As was said in an earlier chapter, Torm's neither condemned or welcomed him back. Reynald needs to prove himself one way or the other before he gets an answer.

:cry: Are they going to visit the temple soon?

Soon indeed...

Wow! What an episode.. :wink: Really liked the conversation!

Cheers!! Like I said, it's one of my favourites. ;)

#16 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:17 PM

Damn.. What's wrong?

First, I thought it didn't post my stuff. Then as I notice they did get here, I can't edit neither of them.

Hmm... :wink:

I just got that... it did send it, but gave a load of weird stuff too. Odd!!

#17 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 31 October 2003 - 05:15 AM

And as this is one of my favourites, I had to comply. :shock: Still intend to be finished by the end of the evening... almost through the fluffy goodness of the finale, touching on the grim foreshadowing of final lines. :shock: Anyway, enjoy this chapter! I love it. And not just for the title - though it's one of my favourite titles (right after Chapter 44: Return to the Copper Coronet!).

Muahahahah. and LOL.

---------------------------------

Chapter 139: Death’s Lantern

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Oooh nice.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

:shock:

BG1 is 1368 and BG2 is 1370, was it? I could never tell.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Onyx: DON'T PASS IT UP!

Onyx: *whiserping* (Unless you get into Aerie.)

Onyx: Dude! don't act like you WANT her to go!

Aww.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

“You really should eat something.”

Harrian paused to see Reynald, out of armour and looking freshly bathed, step up to the workbench on Harrian’s right to set down a plate of bread and beef, and a tankard of something.

oooooh

Thump. Thump. Thump.

“You’re doing it all wrong, clenching your fist like that. You’re just going to break a finger that way,” Reynald told him at last, giving his fighting stance a critical glance.

Heh.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

“Khalid?”

“Jaheira’s husband.” Reynald nodded, wearing an expression of realisation. It seemed that Khalid’s existence was not news to him. ”He taught me how to fight. Jaheira taught me how to think. Montaron taught me how to steal. Xzar taught me what not to do. Dynaheir taught me self-discipline – maybe a little badly.”

Heeey, I like all that!

Esp X+Monty of course :shock:

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Oooh also all nice!

Thump. Thump. Thump.

LOL! X+M

Whoa..lotta BG1 deaths (but I kinda like that, y'know, killing off karacters when you kan. To make the adventurers seem more dire.) The Ajantis thing is.....darkly done.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

“It’s ironic, really. All of these people, these people that taught me something before Irenicus, who helped me in the past, are dead. Or, in the case of Imoen and Minsc, are still bound to me by something. The only exception is Edwin, who’s alive and well somewhere else… and didn’t actually help or teach me anything in the first place.” Again, the cold chuckle. “And they call me crazy when I get concerned about those around me dropping dead. I’m a son of murder. Death is all people get from me.”

ooooh also all nice!

Thump. Thud.

The sandbag had, after repeated beating on a thick but slightly rotting rope, finally given in and fell to the floor at Harrian’s final punch, the bag splitting and depositing its faintly stinking contents across the cold stone floor.

ho ho!

Nice.

Harrian snorted and started to pace slowly. “If you accept that, then so be it. There are currently forces at work that are greater than we are, and we must but follow them. I still have a task to do. And I shall welcome that assistance. But… we are not fame and fortune seekers.” He spat on the floor, shaking his head. “And don’t call me Lord Corias. I’m no damned lord.”

Ooooooo.

Ho ho.....

Onyx: Mull on THAT one, Harry!

Reynald paused for a long moment, and then stepped towards the weapons rack on the far side of the cellar – where their more expensive, valuable and dangerous weaponry was kept. The great rack with the swords was his target, and it was Carsomyr, the Holy Avenger, he headed to.

Gonna touchy-touchy it?

“That responsibility took away my light,” Reynald said quietly, in a whisper that could only be heard because of the echoes in the cellar. He raised his hand tentatively, and slowly closed it around the hilt of Carsomyr.

!!!!!

When the others had tried to do that, they had been able to carry the sword a little – for transportation only – but it had been so heavy when held in an aggressive pose that to wield it effectively would have been impossible. That was to be expected for a sword that demanded that only a paladin wield it, and they had only ever seen it moved through a swing by Keldorn.

Oooo....

Nice!

“Well, it doesn’t judge you on your righteousness, it judges you on whether or not you are a paladin… which you’re not. And I’m not either,” Harrian said hesitantly at last.

“No. In fact, I am so much not a paladin that not only does this sword not allow me to use it, it repels me. That is quite a feat of darkness.” Reynald wrapped a cleaning cloth around his raw hand, and stepped towards the thief. “How many actions have you taken that are truly dark, Harrian?”

Try it, Harrian....

Onyx: He was....acceptable.

“I was stunned, too surprised to move, not knowing what to think, and so it was easy for one of the rogues to knock me out. When Lord Jysstev brought me back to consciousness, the rogues were gone, and so was Celestine – in my ignorance, I assumed that they had kidnapped her. It did not cross my mind that stealing riches from nobles is a very different form of law-breaking to kidnapping.” He gave Harrian a small, benevolent smile, which the Bhaalspawn thief returned slightly.

Heh.

“And one I shall atone for,” Reynald said calmly, also sipping from the tankard. “So, you see, Harrian Corias, you are not responsible for those who fall. They fall because they fight with you, truly. But they have chosen to fight for you. Because they see the light within you. I see that light, and I know it is not death’s lantern… because I know what death’s lantern looks like.”

Haw haw!

Harrian stared at the floor for a few long moments before nodding. “I… very well, Reynald de Chatillon,” he said at last, his voice thick.

:shock:

Onyx: Psst...those bookses...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :shock:

#18 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 31 October 2003 - 11:27 PM

Muahahahah. and LOL.

Well, seems I got the Chapter title wrong. It's chapter 41 (though, in REALITY, with the New Improved Tide of Destiny that I'm currently in the process of creating [smoothing things over, minor editing, rewriting the first chapter, combining two shorter chapters into one in several places] it's Chapter 37. So I was almost ten chapters out!).

Oooh nice.

He has anger issues.

:mrgreen:

BG1 is 1368 and BG2 is 1370, was it? I could never tell.

I have absolutely no clue. I would check, but I'm currently playing BG1 with TuTu... and can't be bothered. I keep meaning to, though...

Onyx: DON'T PASS IT UP!

Onyx: *whiserping* (Unless you get into Aerie.)

Harrian: Ah... uh... no. Full elves... not my type...

Onyx: Dude! don't act like you WANT her to go!

Though 99% of readers want her to go, I do like my Aerie. She has just fulfilled her purpose...

Aww.

True. The Gods haven't been all that helpful...

oooooh

And Harrian doesn't feel very alive...

Heeey, I like all that!

Esp X+Monty of course :)

I thought you would. :mrgreen:

Oooh also all nice!

Yeah. It's hard to believe that Harrian ONLY ever met the Five (BG1 NPCs;)) in his travels up north.

LOL! X+M

Whoa..lotta BG1 deaths (but I kinda like that, y'know, killing off karacters when you kan. To make the adventurers seem more dire.) The Ajantis thing is.....darkly done.

Well, he did kill Ajantis - Windspear Hills. As part of the quests I rather covered vaguely. Harrian mentions working with Ajantis in the north when he meets Anomen, and Imoen compares Ano to Aj later on.

And, I confess, I have no idea how all those BG1 NPCs are dead. They might not even be dead - just somewhere else and Harrian is being morbid.

ooooh also all nice!

Little ray of sunshine, he is...

Nice.

Reynald's a smart guy.

Ho ho.....

I like that line. ;)

Onyx: Mull on THAT one, Harry!

It's something to consider. Harrian's being very arrogant and self-absorbed...

Gonna touchy-touchy it?

Never know... maybe he has a sword fetish...

Oooo....

Nice!

Had that scene in my head for ages. ;) It was one of the reasons I wanted Reynald in the party. Sure, I'll get redemption arc with Sarevok (maybe! :mrgreen:), but Reynald's is a bit... different. Heading to light, rather than out of dark...

Try it, Harrian....

True. Sword doesn't burn him.

Onyx: He was....acceptable.

He was murder, and there's no two ways about it. But acceptable murder? That's a whole new ball game.

As Jaheira said, though, if he didn't do it... she would.

Haw haw!

Hey, this is serious!! :D

Onyx: Psst...those bookses...

Not in a reading mood. Imoen's the thinker. :wink: (though, somehow, from Lum the Mad and Revised Hell mod, in my new game Harrian has INT of 18. How'd that happen?!?)

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :mrgreen:

THAT'S the reaction I was looking for!! :wink:

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com