Photo

Adrian Shadows of Amn 75

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Arcalian

Posted 26 October 2003 - 01:40 AM

It was evening twilight under a heavy gray sky. The snow had started falling again, a few flakes floating down softly. It was very quiet.

Aerie wished there were stars to see. She prefered day to night, but when it was dark, she liked to look at the stars, and remember the times when she could fly just that little bit closer to them. She also liked to remember that no matter what terrible evils befell the world, the stars would always be there, shining beacons of hope.

But she must bring her attention to the here and now. He would come tonight, she knew he would. Especially after the ruckus at the circus. By now, he must've heard about that.

Sure enough, she heard the soft but heavy tread on the powdery snow. He came around the tent, almost in slow motion, menace in every line of his frame. She flinched despite herself.

She had never learned his name, nor did she wish to. But she knew he was a priest of Malar, and wore a leopardskin as both headdress and cloak, his face peering out from what had once been the leopard's maw. So she thought of him as the Leopard Man.

Beneath the skin his muscles bulged and rippled against leather armor, a cruel flail hanging from his belt, a spiked buckler to match it.

"You stood in battle today, I hear," he spoke, as always in a soft voice that was supposed to be seductive, but was still filled with menace. Brown eyes probed at her from his lean, thin face. He smiled, but there was no humor in it.

"To s-save myself and the circus," she answered, trying not to let her teeth chatter in fear. "And I d-did not fight alone."

"Yes, I heard, the dark warrior called Adrian. Surely now you must admit the truth?"

She sighed. "The truth is t-that he was the first one to survive l-long enough to reach me. Him and those w-with him. He would've not been my first choice."

"But he had what it took, did he not? As you well know, deep down inside, that is how it should be."

"I do not accept that. W-why can you not leave me be?"

"Because I know the truth. Inside there is darkness and hatred, if you would but let it come forth. Come with me!" He reached out one hand, and she flinched back. "You know you wish to cast off this weakness and join those that have power! Join the hunt!"

The scariest thing about him, Aerie thought, is that there is no physical seduction at all here. At least not yet. Not until he has corrupted my mind, first. Why can't he leave me be?

"There have been m-many times in my life when I c-could've taken the path you offer, with better reasons. B-but I did not; I refused to become like those that enslaved me, that t-took my wings. And I refuse now. I will never be what you w-want me to be. Never."

"I will do what I wish!" he sneered.

"I-I know that full well," she sighed, rolling her eyes at that oft repeated, meaningless proclamation. "I n-never disputed it. But why? Why would you want to do such a thing to me?"

"You know why, you just won't admit it to yourself."

"I have no wish to be like you. Can't you understand that? I am simply not going to accept the p-path of evil. There is nothing worthwhile in it f-for me."

The Leopard Man ground his teeth. "Didn't Kalah teach you the lesson of how life really is?"

"What..." she froze. "I-it was you that a-aided him, wasn't it!"

"Oh, not me personally." The Leopard Man smiled a feral smile. "But my temple, and certain mages allied with it, oh yes."

Aerie closed her eyes. "J-just one more reason to r-refuse you, not that I n-needed it. I will never be like you."

Abruptly his arm was wrapped around her neck, and he was pulling her away. "I shall take you to our temple," The Leopard Man snarled. "Then, once you have seen the true glory of the hunt, I will finally force you to--"

It was at that point that Anomen's hammer slammed into the Leopard Man's knee, breaking it. The evil diatribe became a howl of pain. He let go of Aerie and staggered backwards, and Tree's quarterstaff slammed into his spine. Stumbling forward again, he never saw the crossbow bolt from Jan that zeroed in on his right ear and ended his life.

"He came alone, apparently," Anomen said, wiping his hammer.

Aerie nodded, coughing a little from the bruise forming on her throat. "I-if he ever had followers, they never showed themselves before."

"Nevertheless," said Tree, stepping forward, "We will find his temple and destroy it. Adrian will see the proft in that, at least."

"Thank you. I-I know Adrian wouldn't want m-me in the party, but tell him--"

"That if we need help, you'll be there?" Anomen smiled.

"How did you know?"

"It's become a very familiar refrain." Anomen bowed and kissed her hand, and then the three adventurers began to walk away.

"The Leopard Man, eh?" Jan said as they walked back towards Athkatla.
"It reminds me of a tale from the Jungles of Chult...."

Anomen and Tree groaned.

Aerie watched them go. Then looking up, she saw a break in the clouds, the stars shinging through.

Smiling to herself, knowing her very soul had been preserved this night, she walked back into the circus. Back into the light, and the music, and the hope, and the joy.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#2 Guest_Conrack_*

Posted 26 October 2003 - 11:13 AM

Ohhh... another unexpected plot twist. :shock:

I've just gotten back, but i need to tell you this; the dragon battle was excellent. Graphic and fast-paced. And the way they finished it, Adrian and Korgan chopping it's head off, was brilliant.

#3 Guest_Dark-Mage_*

Posted 26 October 2003 - 01:24 PM

Good chapter :shock:

#4 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:31 PM

She had never learned his name, nor did she wish to. But she knew he was a priest of Malar, and wore a leopardskin as both headdress and cloak, his face peering out from what had once been the leopard's maw. So she thought of him as the Leopard Man.

*thinking* okay, there has got to be meaning or symoblism here.....Leopards, Malar....*scratches head*...the beastly side, something, I don't know....

It was at that point that Anomen's hammer slammed into the Leopard Man's knee, breaking it. The evil diatribe became a howl of pain. He let go of Aerie and staggered backwards, and Tree's quarterstaff slammed into his spine. Stumbling forward again, he never saw the crossbow bolt from Jan that zeroed in on his right ear and ended his life.

Yeah! Nice.

"It's become a very familiar refrain." Anomen bowed and kissed her hand, and then the three adventurers began to walk away.

cute! :wink:

Aerie watched them go. Then looking up, she saw a break in the clouds, the stars shinging through.

ah, nice symbolism

Smiling to herself, knowing her very soul had been preserved this night, she walked back into the circus. Back into the light, and the music, and the hope, and the joy.

:wink: :D :D

Wonderful chap. You did the optimism theme just right.

#5 Laufey

Posted 27 October 2003 - 09:42 PM

Hm, now this was a very interesting little twist indeed!

"Yes, I heard, the dark warrior called Adrian. Surely now you must admit the truth?"

She sighed. "The truth is t-that he was the first one to survive l-long enough to reach me. Him and those w-with him. He would've not been my first choice."

For what I wonder...some sort of task to perform?

"But he had what it took, did he not? As you well know, deep down inside, that is how it should be."

"I do not accept that. W-why can you not leave me be?"

"Because I know the truth. Inside there is darkness and hatred, if you would but let it come forth. Come with me!" He reached out one hand, and she flinched back. "You know you wish to cast off this weakness and join those that have power! Join the hunt!"

I have to admit, I feel a little confused about the Malar priest's motives. Why is he so interested in getting Aerie to join his cult? Why her in particular, it seems almost personal?
Rogues do it from behind.

#6 Arcalian

Posted 27 October 2003 - 11:27 PM

For what I wonder...some sort of task to perform?

As her thoughts reflectd at teh time, Aerie was hoping for more of a knight-in-shining-armor kind of party to save her and the circus, rather than Adrian. I dunno about you, but I'd be much happier to see, say, Adamant than my own Bhaalspawn.

Adrian: Gee, thanks.

I have to admit, I feel a little confused about the Malar priest's motives. Why is he so interested in getting Aerie to join his cult? Why her in particular, it seems almost personal?

I wanted, amongst other things, to explain why the whole Circus thing *happened*. It seemed kind of arbitrary to me, unless it was a trap left behind by Irenicus, and the way I've written the story he had no time to set such a thing up. I considered both the temples of Cyric and Bane before settling on Malar, mostly inspired by previous interpretations of the "Beastmaster" who worked for Lehtinan in the Copper Coronet.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com