About Blood 23

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 03:19 PM

Once again, apologies for making you sufer that cliffhanger for so long. But the chapter didn't want to come. One of the problems was the scene with Xan. You see, I originally intended to have Xan decide that someone siding with the Zhentarim would be bad and threaten Talek (hence Mulahey had the sword ON him), and have Imoen kill Xan. That way I'd both demonstrate Talek's trust in Imoen (because Imoen would shoot an arrow in his general directiona nd talek would immediately turn around to see who she was shooting at) and fo course making Imoen suffer a bit. :shock:

But it just didn't work. :shock: And since I don't feel like lugging Xan around as an extra and just writing him out at first opportunity, I'll just retroactively remove Xan from the story. It's not like he did much up till now. So... euh... ignore the depressed mage in part 22. He never existed. Maybe the kobolds ate him. or he met a beautiful elven girl and they married and lived happily ever after. Anyway, no Xan... sowwy. :cry:

Talek turned to Imoen, the question to Khalid forgotten. “Imoen. Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Talek, what’s going on? What happened?”

“Imoen. You have to talk to him and stop him from...” Jaheira began.

“SHUT UP!” Talek screamed at her. As if to accentuate the words Montaron pushed the knife a bit farther against her throat, so Jaheira had to arch her head back in an uncomfortable position.

Talek looked at Imoen again. “What happened is that these bastards were lying to our faces the whole time. All the nice stories, all the good intentions, all the well-meant advice. It was all BULLSHIT!”

“It wasn’t...” Khalid started, but a look from Talek shut him up.

Imoen’s face became pale as she detected the hatred in Talek’s voice. “Talek... just... tell me everything that happened. Why are you covered in blood?”

“I killed Mulahey and he bled a lot. Then when I came here, Khalid and Montaron were fighting, so I was going to stop them when she..” he nodded towards Jaheira “...hit me in the back of the head.”

Imoen’s eyes grew wide. “What...” She looked from Jaheira’s face to Talek’s. Her eyes suggested that she could reconstruct the scenario. “W...what were they fighting over?”

Talek gave Montaron and Xzar a dark look. “Seemed they all have secrets. Jaheira and Khalid are Harpers, Montaron and Xzar are Zhenarim.”

“Zhentarim?!” Imoen explained. Her face suddenly became pale and she looked at Montaron as if she saw him clearly for the first time before. Montaron just shrugged.

“Yeah...” Talek said. “Apparently... Gorion was a Harper too.”

“Talek... do you think we could...speak alone for a while?”

Talek looked from her to Khalid, who was stil at the point of his sword.

“Khalid... don’t try anything okay?” Imoen told him.

“Oh he won’t girl. Not while my blade is getting intimate with his better half’s neck.” Jaheira, still on hands and knees, growled something under her breath.

“And she won’t try anything with good sir Khalid here so very, very, VERY close to death..” Xzar came up behind Khalid and licked his knife as he rubbed his hurt face. “And I promise I won’t do anything unnatural. This dagger is all natural. Isn’t that nice of me?” Jaheira opened her mouth, but Montaron pushed the sword just a bit farther and she remained quiet.

“Talek... please...” Imoen pointed at the two Zhentarim.

“Montaron, Xzar. Don’t kill them.” There was a small pause, as if Talek had intended to say another word. Then he gave Montaron a glare. “And no games Montaron.” The halfling replied with a shrug. Talek’s stare intensified. “I MEAN it!”

“Right, right. I’ll be careful not to accidentally slice her neck, I promise.” Montaron said.

“Zhent’s honour.” Xzar added.

Talek nodded and he and Imoen went to the passage to the other cave. Imoen spoke to Talek in a hushed tone. “Talek. They’re Zhentarim. Zhentarim! You know what they are, don’t you?”

Talek nodded and spoke in a hollow voice. “Yeah, bunch of criminal people. Gorion fought them on occasions.”

“So why are you...”

“Gorion... Gorion picked the wrong friends.” Talek interrupted Imoen. “Perhaps he also picked the wrong enemies.”

“What do you mean?”

“Gorion was a Harper too. That’s probably why he trusted me to... to them.” Talek looked in the direction of the Harpers. “And they turned against me. They turned against Gorion!”

Imoen shook her head. “Talek, Jaheira and Khalid... I’m sure it was just a misunderstanding. I think... I think they’re on our side.”

“They’re on your side maybe.” Talek sighed. “You’re a really nice person, Imoen. You’re friendly, you’re smart, you look good and you hardly ever get angry. Everybody likes you. Heck, even Ulraunt and the Gatewarden had trouble being the shitwads that they are when the were talking to you. Everyone in Candlekeep.... everyone liked you... almost as much as they hated me.”

“Talek, they don’t...”

Talek interrupted her. “They DO Imoen. I’ve been dealing with people hating me my whole LIFE. You never had to deal with that and I’m happy for that. I’m glad you have a lot of friends, even if I think they’re a bunch of bastards, but I have to deal with enemies.” He scowled. “Including those who pretend to be friends.”

Imoen didn’t answer. Talek continued. “I don’t want to be alone. I WANT to have friends, so I try to give everyone a chance. Even that bloody Helmite priest!” His voice raged and the calmed down. “But only one chance. I won’t.... I won’t let those two hurt me again. EVER again.”

Imoen’s eyes grew wide. “... you can’t mean...?”

Talek hesitated a second. “I... no, I guess... I guess we can’t kill them. As much as I want to. I say we leave them here. Let them find their own way out. The four of us managed to get to the Friendly Arm without them, we’ll manage the rest of the way...”

“Talek!” This time it was Imoen interrupting him. “Xzar and Montaron are BAD people. Criminals. Murderers. Zhentarim!”

“Everything they say about he Zhentarim, they’ve also been saying about ME.”

“But with you it’s NOT true.”

Talek cast his eyes down. “Sometimes I think you’re the only one who believes that. Sometimes I’m not even sure if even I believe it. Still, whatever Montaron and Xzar are, they haven’t turned against us have they? So why shouldn’t we travel with them. I like being around them. They don’t care about what I am. They won’t turn against me.”

“I think they’ll use you, Talek. I don’t like them. I don’t trust them, and I DON’T want to travel with them!” She ended vehemently.

There was a silence. Then Talek sighed deeply. “I guess... I guess that settles it. Maybe... maybe it’s for the best... Just the two of us right?” He tried a smile and failed. “And... and Montaron wasn’t particularly honest either, and it’s not like we won’t make other friends. Right?” With every argument Talek’s voice became higher and his face more miserable. “We’ll... just tell them to leave by another way separately and... and leave us alone. I’ll... I’ll just tell them to... go.” He turned towards the others and started walking.

Imoen watched his back. Her face was torn in doubt. Four times her mouth opened, only to be shut again, her teeth burying themselves in her lips.

“Guys, look...” Talek started.

“Wait...” Imoen brought out, and seemed to instantly wish she had remained silent. Talek looked over her shoulder at her, hope shining on his face. She beckoned him closer.

“What is it? You changed your mind?” Talek smiled hopefully.

“Talek... I think... maybe. You trust the Zhentarim, I trust the Harpers. We... we could both... travel with them. Separately I mean. And if one of the groups turns out badly, the other one can help him out with theirs.” The words came out quick, as Imoen wanted to say them before she changed her mind.

“What... you mean split up?” Talek didn’t look pleased with the idea.

“Just for a little while. Till either one of the pairs betrays us. Or, you know, maybe till we all trust each other again.” Imoen didn’t sound like she believed that last option.

Neither did Talek. “Fat chance I’ll trust those bastards again.”

Imoen took him by the arms. “Talek. Promise me. if the Zhentarim ever betray you, you’ll give Khalid and Jaheira another chance.”

Talek looked away for a few seconds. “Fine, but if the Harpers backstab you, will you give Montaron and Xzar a chance as well?”

Imoen was silent for a second too. “All right. We’ll say that if one of us has to run, he’ll go to the Friendly Arm and wait for the other one, or at least leave a message.”

Talek nodded. The two turned towards the others. Imoen explained the solution. None of the companions were pleased.

“What? Travelling with the Zhentarim? Talek, have you gone totally insane?” Jaheira uttered, ignoring the blade at her throat once again.

Montaron scowled as well. “I ain’t letting people who know my Zhentarim contacts run free, especially not a Harper.” He seemed to consider slicing the druid’s throat at the spot..

“Montaron! Don’t you dare!” Imoen exclaimed. “Let her go.”

The halfling gave her a stare. “I don’t recall choosing ye as my leader, girl.”

Talek made a step forward. He was still coated in drying blood and holding his sword. “Imoen said ‘let her go’ Montaron.”

For a few seconds Montaron and Talek kept their eyes locked on each other. Then the Zhentarim sheeted the sword. “Yer foolishness will be the death of me yet, boy.” Xzar had removed his dagger as soon as Talek had backed Imoen up. Khalid’s face started to regain some of it’s colour.

Imoen spoke again. “We’ll all keep everything a secret. Nobody tells anyone about the other group’s loyalties. To anyone. Talek and I will keep an eye on that.”

Jaheira got up, rubbing the purple bruise where Talek had struck her. “You mean I am to keep the identity two Zhentarim agents secret from the law?”

Imoen nodded. “From the law and the other Harpers. ”

“That’s treason!” Jaheira called out.

“You shouldn’t have any problems with that then.” Talek remarked. “And if you don’t like it, you can always piss off.”

Jaheira opened her mouth but Khalid was quicker. “T…that is acceptable. I assume we will all c…continue to investigate the iron crisis?” He smiled nervously, trying to relax the tension. “P…perhaps we could all know what the documents say?”

Xzar pouted. “Oh, now you want to know what I have to say eh? Hm.” He sniffed, then started talking in a silky voice . “Well, seems our big fat friend was ever so scared of his boss Tazok. Tazok wasn’t happy, oh no, because Mulahey had let his little friends kill miners. And what do you get when miners start dying?” He grinned hopefully.

“Get on with it, wizard.” Montaron uttered.

“That’s right, adventurers like us. So the mysteeeeerious Tazok told Mulahey to shape up, because the robbers he used couldn’t rob all the iron from these mines if it turned good. A-HAH, the plot thickens. But how shall our intrepid heroes find this Tazok?”

“Necromancer, you’re testing my patience.” Jaheira said.

“No, not that way.”Xzar giggled. “Silly Harper.” He snarled the last word befoire returning to his sing song voice. “There is a contact. Far to the north in Beregost remains Tranzig. In the Beregrost Inn. Verily, I say we travel hence forthwith and find the meanies who go and blame us for their profit and make them eat their ears and their toes and their fingers and their…”

Montaron stepped on the wizard’s toes. “That’ll be enough our of ye.” He looked at Talek and Imoen. “So, since the two of ye seem to be running things, what now?”

Imoen had her eyes downcast. “One group can travel back through the mines. The other one can use the way Mulahey came in. There was a tunnel going up. Guess now we’ll have to… divide stuff.”

Talek nodded. All the gold was put together and, despite Montaron’s objections, it was divided equally. A magical short sword went to Imoen, another objection of Montaron silenced by a glare from Talek. After everything was divided, the two parties were now standing face to face.

“Talek, are you… really sure you can’t trust them anymore?” Imoen asked.

Talek looked at the two Harpers. He nodded. “Yeah. I’ve lived with people like them my entire life, and I am sick of it. What about you? Montaron and Xzar wouldn’t hurt you.”

“They’d hurt others, Talek.” She aswered.

“Not like ‘the others’ care much about us, do they?” Talek answered.

“But they don’t do to us what Montaron does to them.” She sighed. “Don’t let them drive you into doing things you don’t want Talek. Just because you travel with evil people doesn’t mean you have to do as they do.”

Talek nodded. Imoen hugged him again and continued. “Remember what I said, orc-brain. Even if we’re separate for a while, I’m on your side. So you’re not alone. Got it?”

Talek answered the hug, careful not to press the steel of his armour not too tight. “I get it. Be careful Imoen.” For seconds the two remained like that, then they broke apart.

“Montaron, Xzar. Let’s go.” Talek said.

Imoen turned towards the Harpers. “Jaheira, Khalid. Come on”

The six left the cave, walking together in silence till they came at the crossroads. Jaheira approached Talek, followed by Khalid.

“You are making the wrong choice, Talek.” Jaheira said. ‘To travel with the people Gorion fought his whole…”

“Don’t say his name, backstabber. You’re dirtying it.” Talek spat in the water of the underground lake for emphasis. Jaheira grew pale but remained quiet when Khalid placed a calming hand on her shoulder..

Khalid gave Talek a serious glance. “I… I know you have little faith in us now Talek. But I hope you’ll remember my words. I think…”

“Save it, Harper.” Talek said angrily. “Just remember this. If you let ANYTHING happen to Imoen, I’ll find you, no matter where you are. And I’ll kill you both. I promise.” He turned his back on the two.

In the meantime Imoen had got the attention of Montaron. “I don’t know if I did the right thing today. But… don’t make me regret what I did today Montaron.”

Montaron gave her a pensive look. “I wonder what it IS taht ye want. Ye want us to betray him so he’ll come running back to he Harpers? Or do ye really hope he’ll turn out all right despite my ‘evil influence?’”

Imoen shook her head. “I don’t know. Neither of them maybe. I just don’t want you to hurt him. I don’t want anyone to hurt him again. Least of all me.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll be takin good care of him.” Xzar chirped. “If I’m right, wouldn’t be smart for us not to. Not smart at all. And influence? There’s plenty of influence. From all kinds of places. I’m influenced too. Always so very, very influenced by the voices that just WON’T SHUT UP!” He screamed the last sentence and seemed ready to start ranting when Montaron kicked his shin and silenced him.

“Well, off ye go on yer righteous path girl. Hope that clever head of yers catches up with the rules of the real world before the rules catch up with you.” With a whining Xzar following him, Montaron turned to follow Xzar. Jaheira and Khalid walked Imoen’s way, Jaheira quietly fuming while Khalid looked sad.

When both groups turned a corner, Talek and Imoen, both at the tails of their groups, turned around and caught each other’s eyes. They both seemed to hope the other one would come towards them, and neither of them wanted to be the one to turn away first. Nobody of the four other intervened. Then, as if on a silent order, both of them turned away and walked away as fast as they could. Imoen hugged herself as she sobbed quietly, while Talek clenched the grip of his sword in a deathgrip as he vainly tried to fight back tears.

Something had been broken.

#2 Guest_argan_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 03:40 PM

Awesome chapter...supposed it was destined to happen sooner or later.

#3 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 04:02 PM

Awesome chapter...supposed it was destined to happen sooner or later.

Thanks. I'm glad this scene turned out well. As I said, it's an important one.

#4 Guest_Dark-Mage_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 04:24 PM

That was a really good chapter and was written really well. Good job :shock:

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 04:24 PM

Once again, apologies for making you sufer that cliffhanger for so long. But the chapter didn't want to come. One of the problems was the scene with Xan. You see, I originally intended to have Xan decide that someone siding with the Zhentarim would be bad and threaten Talek (hence Mulahey had the sword ON him), and have Imoen kill Xan. That way I'd both demonstrate Talek's trust in Imoen (because Imoen would shoot an arrow in his general directiona nd talek would immediately turn around to see who she was shooting at) and fo cours emaking Imoen suffer a bit. :shock:

But it just didn't work. :) And since I don't feel like lugging Xan around as an extra and just writing him out at first opportunity, I'll just retroactively remove Xan from the story. It's not like he did much up till now. So... euh... ignore the depressed mage in part 22. He never existed. Maybe the kobolds ate him. or he met a beautiful elven girl and they married and lived happily ever after. Anyway, no Xan... sowwy. :?

Or maybe you are finding that killing a NPC off is not as easy as it would seem... and I'll tell you what - the longer you let them stay around, the harder you will find to kill any of them off. Of course, killing is not the only way to get rid of someone, anyways. ;)

Talek looked at Imoen again. “What happened is that these bastards were lying to our faces the whole time. All the nice stories, all the good intentions, all the well-meant advice. It was all BULLSHIT!”

Why? What would they want to achieve then, if not to help you, idiot? To help you become a murderer? His head really is in a mess right now.

“Zhentarim?!” Imoen explained. Her face suddenly became pale and she looked at Montaron as if she saw him clearly for the first time before. Montaron just shrugged.

Apparently Imoen understands what being a Zhent means. Talek doesn't seem to know, other than that they are *bad* and *evil*.

“Oh he won’t girl. Not while my blade is getting intimate with his better half’s neck.” Jaheira, still on hands and knees, growled something under her breath.

“And she won’t try anything with good sir Khalid here so very, very, VERY close to death..” Xzar came up behind Khalid and licked his knife as he rubbed his hurt face. “And I promise I won’t do anything unnatural. This dagger is all natural. Isn’t that nice of me?” Jaheira opened her mouth, but Montaron pushed the sword just a bit farther and she remained quiet.

*kicks the halfling in the nuts*

*feels much better afterwards* :shock:

Oh, that makes me feel so calm, you know.

“Gorion... Gorion picked the wrong friends.” Talek interrupted Imoen. “Perhaps he also picked the wrong enemies.”

;) Gorion worshipping Cyric or Bane? Gorion the slave trader? Are you sure, Talek?

“Gorion was a Harper too. That’s probably why he trusted me to... to them.” Talek looked in the direction of the Harpers. “And they turned against me. They turned against Gorion!”

Like how? ;) How about trying to understand why Jaheira did it? Imagine Imoen fighting with someone and a blood-covered maniac rushing towards them with unknown motives. What would you do, Talek? Stand there and watch what happens or try to stop him? ;)

Imoen didn’t answer. Talek continued. “I don’t want to be alone. I WANT to have friends, so I try to give everyone a chance. Even that bloody Helmite priest!” His voice raged and the calmed down. “But only one chance. I won’t.... I won’t let those two hurt me again. EVER again.”

Well, good luck trying not to become a murderer, Talek.

Oh, he would do it, I think. Imoen's eyes will open soon.

“Talek!” This time it was Imoen interrupting him. “Xzar and Montaron are BAD people. Criminals. Murderers. Zhentarim!”

Tell it to someone who cares, Immy.

“I think they’ll use you, Talek. I don’t like them. I don’t trust them, and I DON’T want to travel with them!” She ended vehemently.

You tell him, Immy.

There was a silence. Then Talek sighed deeply. “I guess... I guess that settles it. Maybe... maybe it’s for the best... Just the two of us right?” He tried a smile and failed. “And... and Montaron wasn’t particularly honest either, and it’s not like we won’t make other friends. Right?” With every argument Talek’s voice became higher and his voice more miserable. “We’ll... just tell them to leave by another way separately and... and leave us alone. I’ll... I’ll just tell them to... go.” He turned towards the others and started walking.

Hmm, a peaceful outcome? What are you, some kind of pacifist? :? ;)

“Talek... I think... maybe. You trust the Zhentarim, I trust the Harpers. We... we could both... travel with them. Separately I mean. And if one of the groups turns out badly, the other one can help him out with theirs.” The words came out quick, as Imoen wanted to say them before she changed her mind.

Ah... another story of a good group and the evil group?

“Just for a little while. Till either one of the pairs betrays us. Or, you know, maybe till we all trust each other again.” Imoen didn’t sound like she believed that last option.

He really should cool down a bit, this guy.

“What? Travelling with the Zhentarim? Talek, have you gone totally insane?” Jaheira uttered, ignoring the blade at her throat once again.

Ergh... Jaheira and her deathwish... gah! :?

Montaron scowled as well. “I ain’t letting people who know my Zhentarim contacts run free, especially not a Harper.” He seemed to consider slicing the druid’s throat at the spot..

*kicks Montaron some more* :cry:

“You shouldn’t have any problems with that then.” Talek remarked. “And if you don’t like it, you can always piss off.”

*Takes a red pencil and crosses out Jaheira's name from the list containing names 'Aerie, Jaheira, Viconia'* :?

It was never on the cards, though.

Imoen had her eyes downcast. “One group can travel back through the mines. The other one can use the way Mulahey came in. There was a tunnel going up. Guess now we’ll have to… divide stuff.”

Wonder who gets the reward from Berrun. I doubt he will give it to the group which does not contain Jaheira.

“But they don’t do to us what Montaron does to them.” She sighed. “Don’t let them drive you into doing things you don’t want Talek. Just because you travel with evil people doesn’t mean you have to do as they do.”

I can't see how he will be able to avoid it, what's with Monty's caring guidance.

“You are making the wrong choice, Talek.” Jaheira said. ‘To travel with the people Gorion fought his whole…”

“Don’t say his name, backstabber. You’re dirtying it.” Talek spat in the water of the underground lake for emphasis. Jaheira grew pale but remained quiet when Khalid placed a calming hand on her shoulder..

Don't waste your breath on that little ungrateful bastard, Jae.

Montaron gave her a pensive look. “I wonder what it IS taht ye want. Ye want us to betray him so he’ll come running back to he Harpers? Or do ye really hope he’ll turn out all right despite my ‘evil influence?’”

Imoen shook her head. “I don’t know. Neither of them maybe. I just don’t want you to hurt him. I don’t want anyone to hurt him again. Least of all me.”

Why didn't Imoen used all of her influence over Talek to make him abandon the Zhents? I thought he would comply of her every request.

When both groups turned a corner, Talek and Imoen, both at the tails of their groups, turned around and caught each other’s eyes. They both seemed to hope the other one would come towards them, and neither of them wanted to be the one to turn away first. Nobody of the four other intervened. Then, as if on a silent order, both of them turned away and walked away as fast as they could. Imoen hugged herself as she sobbed quietly, while Talek clenched the grip of his sword in a deathgrip as he vainly tried to fight back tears.

Something had been broken.

Unfortunate that the Harpers made a mess of it... but I am definitely much more at ease with them NOT travelling with Talek. I think they are better off with looking after Immy.

Interesting resolution, not quite what I expected. Sigh. Looks like I'll have to start up a new game to see the Zhents getting killed... ;) ;)

#6 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 04:36 PM

That was a really good chapter and was written really well. Good job :shock:

W00t. Glad I've pulle dthis chapter off. Things start in earnest from now on, so this piece HAD to be good, or all the next chapters would be built on loose sand.

#7 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 05:11 PM

[quote][quote] Once again, apologies for making you sufer that cliffhanger for so long. But the chapter didn't want to come. One of the problems was the scene with Xan. You see, I originally intended to have Xan decide that someone siding with the Zhentarim would be bad and threaten Talek (hence Mulahey had the sword ON him), and have Imoen kill Xan. That way I'd both demonstrate Talek's trust in Imoen (because Imoen would shoot an arrow in his general directiona nd talek would immediately turn around to see who she was shooting at) and fo cours emaking Imoen suffer a bit. :shock:
[/quote]

[quote]
But it just didn't work. :( And since I don't feel like lugging Xan around as an extra and just writing him out at first opportunity, I'll just retroactively remove Xan from the story. It's not like he did much up till now. So... euh... ignore the depressed mage in part 22. He never existed. Maybe the kobolds ate him. or he met a beautiful elven girl and they married and lived happily ever after. Anyway, no Xan... sowwy. :(

[/quote]

Or maybe you are finding that killing a NPC off is not as easy as it would seem... and I'll tell you what - the longer you let them stay around, the harder you will find to kill any of them off. Of course, killing is not the only way to get rid of someone, anyways. ;) [/quote]

Heh, I'd magine. But this really was a case of. 'Can't come up with any scenario that would make Xan seem stupid. Orignally I had planned to have him act when Khalid still had Montaron at his mercy and it'd matter more. As it was, Xan couldn't really accomplish much anymore.

While on the subject of killing, note that I WILL have spells of resurrection in my story. But they'll be expensive and risky, especially at lower levels. And it'd have to be done rather quick, and would leave some permanent effects.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Why? What would they want to achieve then, if not to help you, idiot? To help you become a murderer? His head really is in a mess right now. [/quote]

It's not very good in detecting other people's point of view in the best of circumstances. This is not the best of circumstances.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Apparently Imoen understands what being a Zhent means. Talek doesn't seem to know, other than that they are *bad* and *evil*. [/quote]

Everything not directly involving swordfighting or drawing is vaguely interesting at most to Talek.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

*kicks the halfling in the nuts*

*feels much better afterwards* :shock: [/quote]

Remember, Montaron's teeth are at groinlevel to you. But I'd imagine you'd have a big helping of HATE for Montaron now.

[quote] [uote]
[/quote]

Oh, that makes me feel so calm, you know. [/Quote]

;) Do I detect a hint of sarcasm.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

;) Gorion worshipping Cyric or Bane? Gorion the slave trader? Are you sure, Talek? [/quote]

As Talek sees it, Gorion's friends could do a lot fo stuff as long as theyr emained loyal to him in friendship. And Harers never HAVE been about protecting Harpers.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Like how? :? How about trying to understand why Jaheira did it? Imagine Imoen fighting with someone and a blood-covered maniac rushing towards them with unknown motives. What would you do, Talek? Stand there and watch what happens or try to stop him? :? [/quote]

Talek (slashing with his sword in the air in anger): I'm NOT a MANIAC! If she trusted me, she'd KNOW I just wanted to seperate them.

Scribe (in hiding from Talek): Euh....as I said, he's not skilled at understanding his OWN point of view, let alone that of others.

[quote] [uote]
[/quote]

Well, good luck trying not to become a murderer, Talek. [/uote]

Talek: Oh... thanks. :)
Scribe: You might want to avoid sarcasm on talek. It doesn't work.

[quote] [uote]
[/quote]

Oh, he would do it, I think. Imoen's eyes will open soon. [/quote]

Imoen is fearin t yes. But she'll keep trying.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Tell it to someone who cares, Immy. [/quote]

Talek is indeed starting not to care about hose words. After all, they've been used about him a lot.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

You tell him, Immy. [/quote]

And Talek heard that loud and clear.

[quote] [quote]
There was a silence. Then Talek sighed deeply. “I guess... I guess that settles it. Maybe... maybe it’s for the best... Just the two of us right?” He tried a smile and failed. “And... and Montaron wasn’t particularly honest either, and it’s not like we won’t make other friends. Right?” With every argument Talek’s voice became higher and his voice more miserable. “We’ll... just tell them to leave by another way separately and... and leave us alone. I’ll... I’ll just tell them to... go.” He turned towards the others and started walking.
[/quote]

Hmm, a peaceful outcome? What are you, some kind of pacifist? :D ;) [/quote]

;) Nah, but what Imoen wants, goes. As long as he doesn't have to be around people he hates.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Ah... another story of a good group and the evil group? [/quote]

Yep. I know Arcalian did it, and Onyx as well. But I think this will be slightly different.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

He really should cool down a bit, this guy. [/quote]

That's an advice that is true for most moments in Talek's life.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Ergh... Jaheira and her deathwish... gah! :? [/quote]

Yep, she's not a fool, but she will not EVER concede defeat. As far as she is concerned, this is FAR from over.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

*kicks Montaron some more* :cry: [/quote]

Montaron: Sleep lightly, scribe.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

*Takes a red pencil and crosses out Jaheira's name from the list containing names 'Aerie, Jaheira, Viconia'* :D

It was never on the cards, though. [/quote]

eh, not to mention you wouldn't exactly WANT to have Jaheira be in a relation with a violent, hottempered, stupid Bhaalspawn, right? But yeah, Talek is about everything Khalid is not.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Wonder who gets the reward from Berrun. I doubt he will give it to the group which does not contain Jaheira. [/quote]

Well THSI Major Ghastkill hired BOTH Zhents and Harpers, so they'll just share it. Besides, Imoen and Talek wouldn't settle for anything else.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

I can't see how he will be able to avoid it, what's with Monty's caring guidance. [/quote]

Not to mention part of a God of Murder in his blood. And his first dream is coming soon as well.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Don't waste your breath on that little ungrateful bastard, Jae. [/quote]

He's the subject of her mission to the Harpers and her promise to Gorion. She'll be wasting a lot more.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Why didn't Imoen used all of her influence over Talek to make him abandon the Zhents? I thought he would comply of her every request. [/Quoe]

1: She doesn't want Talek to lose friends. It hurts him a lot.
2: She fears that if Talek is alone, he'll just become more bitter then already is.
3: That will be explained in next chapter.

But yeah, if Imoen asked, Talek would do so. But it'd hurt him.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Something had been broken.[/quote]

Unfortunate that the Harpers made a mess of it... but I am definitely much more at ease with them NOT travelling with Talek. I think they are better off with looking after Immy. [/quote]

Heh, Jaheira hasn't given up yet. And as far as she knows, Imoen is just a friend from Talek that got invoved. Talek is her mission. But yes, they pushed the wrong buttons. A sincere apology in the early stages might have recovered part of the trust, but Jaheira's sharp tongue caused irreerable damage this time.

[quote] Interesting resolution, not quite what I expected. Sigh. Looks like I'll have to start up a new game to see the Zhents getting killed... :? ;)[/quote]

Don't focus on them TOO much. Aerie is gonna feel neglected. ;) (

kinda like Aerie BTW. After all the people stoically and silently bearing their pain, it's almost refreshing to see someone who actually TELLS people when she's hurting, even if she DOES so often.

Anywa, thanks for the review.

#8 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 05:29 PM

Ah... another story of a good group and the evil group?

Yep. I know Arcalian did it, and Onyx as well. But I think this will be slightly different.

:) They did? I was more thinking of Silver's 'Searching for the Truth'. But that's cool, really - Bg1 has enough interesting NPC's for two groups. :)

*Takes a red pencil and crosses out Jaheira's name from the list containing names 'Aerie, Jaheira, Viconia'* :P

It was never on the cards, though.

eh, not to mention you wouldn't exactly WANT to have Jaheira be in a relation with a violent, hottempered, stupid Bhaalspawn, right? But yeah, Talek is about everything Khalid is not.

Yep. I also wonder if this group split means that Jaheira and Khalid will not end up in Jon's dungeon. Hmm, I suppose we shall see.

Interesting resolution, not quite what I expected. Sigh. Looks like I'll have to start up a new game to see the Zhents getting killed... :P :)

Don't focus on them TOO much. Aerie is gonna feel neglected. :) (

kinda like Aerie BTW. After all the people stoically and silently bearing their pain, it's almost refreshing to see someone who actually TELLS people when she's hurting, even if she DOES so often.

Hehe, I guess that is somewhat true. I am really curious how Talek is going to react to Aerie... lol, I think that might prove quite amusing! :)

#9 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 05:43 PM

Well, that certainly wasn't what I expected to happen - but it will make things interesting to have the two separate groups, and I'm glad that both the Harpers and the Zhents will continue to be in the story. Will you be focusing on Talek from now on, or will you write both groups?

The one thing I wasn't quite sure about is that I'd expect Talek to be more pissed off with the Zhents than he is - after all, they did lie to him as well, although neither of them tried to hit him over the head. But I guess he was so angry with Jaheira that he kind of passed over that.

It's sure going to be tough on Talek on Immy not to be travelling with each other - although I wonder how long things will stay that way? It's all very well saying 'ok, we'll split up and no one is to tell anyone about this', but making sure that both the Harpers and the Zhents hold to that agreement could be tough. Khalid and Jaheira especially are probably not going to be happy about not travelling with Talek any more.

But anyway, great chapter, and an interesting resolution to the conflict :) .

#10 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 06:43 PM

[quote name="Bjorn"]Well, that certainly wasn't what I expected to happen - but it will make things interesting to have the two separate groups, and I'm glad that both the Harpers and the Zhents will continue to be in the story. Will you be focusing on Talek from now on, or will you write both groups? [quote]

Both groups, with perhaps a slight emphasys on Talek.

[quote] The one thing I wasn't quite sure about is that I'd expect Talek to be more pissed off with the Zhents than he is - after all, they did lie to him as well, although neither of them tried to hit him over the head. But I guess he was so angry with Jaheira that he kind of passed over that. [/quote]

Talek easily forgets things. But now that Jaheira is gone, he'll settle that with Montaron as well. Also, Jaheira worsened the situation by bringing up Gorion.

[quote] It's sure going to be tough on Talek on Immy not to be travelling with each other - although I wonder how long things will stay that way? It's all very well saying 'ok, we'll split up and no one is to tell anyone about this', but making sure that both the Harpers and the Zhents hold to that agreement could be tough. Khalid and Jaheira especially are probably not going to be happy about not travelling with Talek any more.[/quote]

Nope, and they'll make sure they'll keep around. No matter WHA Talek thinks of it.

[uote] But anyway, great chapter, and an interesting resolution to the conflict :) .[/quote]

Thanks. :)

#11 Guest_Helseth_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 11:01 PM

Once again, apologies for making you sufer that cliffhanger for so long. But the chapter didn't want to come. One of the problems was the scene with Xan. You see, I originally intended to have Xan decide that someone siding with the Zhentarim would be bad and threaten Talek (hence Mulahey had the sword ON him), and have Imoen kill Xan. That way I'd both demonstrate Talek's trust in Imoen (because Imoen would shoot an arrow in his general directiona nd talek would immediately turn around to see who she was shooting at) and fo course making Imoen suffer a bit. :)

But it just didn't work. :D And since I don't feel like lugging Xan around as an extra and just writing him out at first opportunity, I'll just retroactively remove Xan from the story. It's not like he did much up till now. So... euh... ignore the depressed mage in part 22. He never existed. Maybe the kobolds ate him. or he met a beautiful elven girl and they married and lived happily ever after. Anyway, no Xan... sowwy. :P

Pity... I hoped for some Xzar-Xan cheerful banters :P Well... good luck to him with that elven girl :(

Imoen’s face became pale as she detected the hatred in Talek’s voice. “Talek... just... tell me everything that happened. Why are you covered in blood?”

Good first question :) :D

Considering what Xzar would call "natural", it somehow doesn't comfort :)

“Right, right. I’ll be careful not to accidentally slice her neck, I promise.” Montaron said.

Well, that's a relief. :)

:( Probably a mistake on Talek's part... but inevitable.

“Everything they say about he Zhentarim, they’ve also been saying about ME.”

Except the bit about devious intrigues :)

Well, if it's "me or them", it probably means "goodbye Zhents". Probably.

There was a silence. Then Talek sighed deeply. “I guess... I guess that settles it. Maybe... maybe it’s for the best... Just the two of us right?” He tried a smile and failed. “And... and Montaron wasn’t particularly honest either, and it’s not like we won’t make other friends. Right?” With every argument Talek’s voice became higher and his face more miserable. “We’ll... just tell them to leave by another way separately and... and leave us alone. I’ll... I’ll just tell them to... go.” He turned towards the others and started walking.

It may sound a bit blasphemous, but now I think Montaron would made a good companion for Talek. ("Good" doesn't meaning "nice", of course :x ) Ever practical, virtually amoral, and... well - honest in his way. He would use Talek, of course,- up to point. Or, maybe, Kagain would be even better - more world-wise and without ulterior motives.

Hmm. She's so confident she'll live through the betrayal? :D Or is she planning something?

Imoen took him by the arms. “Talek. Promise me. if the Zhentarim ever betray you, you’ll give Khalid and Jaheira another chance.”

Talek looked away for a few seconds. “Fine, but if the Harpers backstab you, will you give Montaron and Xzar a chance as well?”

And again... They both seem either over-confident, or just not taking all that betrayal stuff seriously enough.

:P Nah... If he'd seriously wanted to kill her, he'd do it without words.

Jaheira got up, rubbing the purple bruise where Talek had struck her. “You mean I am to keep the identity two Zhentarim agents secret from the law?”

Maybe there should be "of the" after the "identity"?

Imoen nodded. “From the law and the other Harpers. ”

Treason of what? Harper's oath?

That is why she advised to split up?

With a whining Xzar following him, Montaron turned to follow Xzar.

Maybe one of the "Xzars" should be "Talek"?

Sad chapter... And the worst part for me is that all of that seemed inevitable.

#12 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 11:37 PM

[quote][quote] Once again, apologies for making you sufer that cliffhanger for so long. But the chapter didn't want to come. One of the problems was the scene with Xan. You see, I originally intended to have Xan decide that someone siding with the Zhentarim would be bad and threaten Talek (hence Mulahey had the sword ON him), and have Imoen kill Xan. That way I'd both demonstrate Talek's trust in Imoen (because Imoen would shoot an arrow in his general directiona nd talek would immediately turn around to see who she was shooting at) and fo course making Imoen suffer a bit. :)

But it just didn't work. :P And since I don't feel like lugging Xan around as an extra and just writing him out at first opportunity, I'll just retroactively remove Xan from the story. It's not like he did much up till now. So... euh... ignore the depressed mage in part 22. He never existed. Maybe the kobolds ate him. or he met a beautiful elven girl and they married and lived happily ever after. Anyway, no Xan... sowwy. :(
[/quote]

Pity... I hoped for some Xzar-Xan cheerful banters :P Well... good luck to him with that elven girl :D [/quote]

:(

[quote] [] Imoen’s face became pale as she detected the hatred in Talek’s voice. “Talek... just... tell me everything that happened. Why are you covered in blood?”[/quote]

Good first question :) :D [/quote]

I'll take 'Horrific Bloody Murder'for 200 Alex.

[quote] [quote]“And she won’t try anything with good sir Khalid here so very, very, VERY close to death..” Xzar came up behind Khalid and licked his knife as he rubbed his hurt face. “And I promise I won’t do anything unnatural. This dagger is all natural. Isn’t that nice of me?” Jaheira opened her mouth, but Montaron pushed the sword just a bit farther and she remained quiet.[/quote]

Considering what Xzar would call "natural", it somehow doesn't comfort :) [/quote]

Nor does he make promises about what he'll do with the corpse.

[quote] [quote]“Right, right. I’ll be careful not to accidentally slice her neck, I promise.” Montaron said.

“Zhent’s honour.” Xzar added.[/quote]

Well, that's a relief. :) [/quote]

Talek: Zhents's honour. Well, can't argue with that.

[quote] [quote]“Gorion was a Harper too. That’s probably why he trusted me to... to them.” Talek looked in the direction of the Harpers. “And they turned against me. They turned against Gorion!”[/quote]

:( Probably a mistake on Talek's part... but inevitable. [/quote]

Talek isn't one for subtleties.

[quote] [quote]“Talek!” This time it was Imoen interrupting him. “Xzar and Montaron are BAD people. Criminals. Murderers. Zhentarim!”

“Everything they say about he Zhentarim, they’ve also been saying about ME.”[/quote]

Except the bit about devious intrigues :) [/quote]

Talek: So then I say "Look behind you". And when he turns around,, I RUN HIM THROUGH. They'll never see my cunning plot coming. MWAHAHAHA

Hmm... no. Talek really doesn't fir that role.

[quote] [quote]“I think they’ll use you, Talek. I don’t like them. I don’t trust them, and I DON’T want to travel with them!” She ended vehemently.[/quote]

Well, if it's "me or them", it probably means "goodbye Zhents". Probably. [/quote]

If Imoen would steel her heart, yes. But it'd ALSO be, Goodbye Harpers

[quote] [quote]There was a silence. Then Talek sighed deeply. “I guess... I guess that settles it. Maybe... maybe it’s for the best... Just the two of us right?” He tried a smile and failed. “And... and Montaron wasn’t particularly honest either, and it’s not like we won’t make other friends. Right?” With every argument Talek’s voice became higher and his face more miserable. “We’ll... just tell them to leave by another way separately and... and leave us alone. I’ll... I’ll just tell them to... go.” He turned towards the others and started walking.[/quote]

It may sound a bit blasphemous, but now I think Montaron would made a good companion for Talek. ("Good" doesn't meaning "nice", of course :x ) Ever practical, virtually amoral, and... well - honest in his way. He would use Talek, of course,- up to point. Or, maybe, Kagain would be even better - more world-wise and without ulterior motives. [/quote]

Yeah, I like Montaron and Talek as well. Montaron is sort of a twisted older brother figure. Kagain would be a bit too surly for Talek I think. He won't be making any appearances.

[quote] [quote]“Just for a little while. Till either one of the pairs betrays us. Or, you know, maybe till we all trust each other again.” Imoen didn’t sound like she believed that last option.[/quote]

Hmm. She's so confident she'll live through the betrayal? :D Or is she planning something? [/quote]

Nope, but she's all out of options.

[quote] [quote]Imoen took him by the arms. “Talek. Promise me. if the Zhentarim ever betray you, you’ll give Khalid and Jaheira another chance.”

Talek looked away for a few seconds. “Fine, but if the Harpers backstab you, will you give Montaron and Xzar a chance as well?”[/quote]

And again... They both seem either over-confident, or just not taking all that betrayal stuff seriously enough. [/quote]

Hmm... you might have a point. Perhaps they just don't want to think about that.

[quote] [quote]Montaron scowled as well. “I ain’t letting people who know my Zhentarim contacts run free, especially not a Harper.” He seemed to consider slicing the druid’s throat at the spot..[/quote]

:P Nah... If he'd seriously wanted to kill her, he'd do it without words. [/quote]

He'd prefer to do it WITH the over-aggresive swordsman permission I think.

[quote] [quote]Jaheira got up, rubbing the purple bruise where Talek had struck her. “You mean I am to keep the identity two Zhentarim agents secret from the law?”[/quote]

Maybe there should be "of the" after the "identity"? [/quote]

Yes... thanks.

[quote] [quote]Imoen nodded. “From the law and the other Harpers. ”

“That’s treason!” Jaheira called out.[/quote]

Treason of what? Harper's oath? [/quote]

Well, I can't imagine covering up two Zhents would be appreciated by Harper's code.

[quote] [quote]Imoen shook her head. “I don’t know. Neither of them maybe. I just don’t want you to hurt him. I don’t want anyone to hurt him again. Least of all me.”[/quote]

That is why she advised to split up? [/quote]

Yep, and she has other reasons.

[quote] [quote]With a whining Xzar following him, Montaron turned to follow Xzar. [/quote]

Maybe one of the "Xzars" should be "Talek"? [/quote]

Indeed it should. Thanks again.

[quote] Sad chapter... And the worst part for me is that all of that seemed inevitable.[/quote]

If Jaheira had picked her words right things MIGHT have ended differently. But yes, the odds were in favour for this.

#13 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 27 October 2003 - 01:08 AM

[quote name="Rand Al'Tor"][quote]
But it just didn't work. ;) And since I don't feel like lugging Xan around as an extra and just writing him out at first opportunity, I'll just retroactively remove Xan from the story. It's not like he did much up till now. So... euh... ignore the depressed mage in part 22. He never existed. Maybe the kobolds ate him. or he met a beautiful elven girl and they married and lived happily ever after. Anyway, no Xan... sowwy. :(

[/quote]

:D I can understand this, there have been times when I wished I could go back and change a few things in AC. That's one of the hazards of writing in serialized form, rather than books where you have the luxury of going back before anyone sees it.

[quote]
[/quote]

I don't blame Imoen. Brrrrrr.

[quote]
[/quote]

To be honest, I liked this solution better, but I can see why Imoen wanted to keep Jaheira and Khalid around. I'm sure she felt that was being loyal to Gorion's wishes.

[quote]

Awww. I hope something works out soon. Talek needs Imoen.

#14 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 27 October 2003 - 11:11 AM

[quote name="Silrana"][quote][quote]
But it just didn't work. :wink: And since I don't feel like lugging Xan around as an extra and just writing him out at first opportunity, I'll just retroactively remove Xan from the story. It's not like he did much up till now. So... euh... ignore the depressed mage in part 22. He never existed. Maybe the kobolds ate him. or he met a beautiful elven girl and they married and lived happily ever after. Anyway, no Xan... sowwy. :wink:

[/quote]

:D I can understand this, there have been times when I wished I could go back and change a few things in AC. That's one of the hazards of writing in serialized form, rather than books where you have the luxury of going back before anyone sees it. [/quote]

Heh, but for this once I decided to do the timewarp ANYWAY.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

I don't blame Imoen. Brrrrrr. [/quote]

Of course, Montaron knows that betraying Talek is a dangerous thing.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

To be honest, I liked this solution better, but I can see why Imoen wanted to keep Jaheira and Khalid around. I'm sure she felt that was being loyal to Gorion's wishes. [/quote]

There are OTHER raqsons as well, that will be explained shortly.

[quote] [quote]

Awww. I hope something works out soon. Talek needs Imoen.[/quote]

Yep, but for now, what he gets is Montaron and Xzar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com