Tide of Destiny - 136

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 07:31 PM

And this time it's REALLY Chapter 136! And finally... *drum rolls* Some plot progression!!

---------

Chapter 136: Sources

Athkatla, the City of Coin, was not one of the many cities which tended to rise with the sun. This was because, more than anything else, the city didn’t go to sleep in the first place. Just before dawn, the streets would be filling up with merchants setting out their wares, and businessmen flitting off to their centres of employment, ready for the day’s work. They themselves would be taking over from the nightshift of activity presided over by the courtesans and the thieves – of whom there were many in such a centre of iniquity. Different people ruled the day and the night, but Athkatla was never left to its own devices. Everyone had their time.

Adventurers, in particular, tended to be limited to the daytime, as they were not known for being early risers when in the city. Innkeepers were accustomed to encountering them coming downstairs as the sun hung high in the sky, bleary-eyed and hung-over after one of many after a night of general revelry. If they did get up early it was to leave town, and then they would be a jovial, laughing and active lot heading for the city gates.

Seven grim-faced warriors with arms and armour that would put a king’s soldiers to shame were not a common sight to be seen marching down the main street in the pre-dawn darkness.

The chill of the night had not yet been chased off by the sun, and so Harrian still had his thick cloak wrapped tightly around his shoulders. For once both scabbards were strapped to his back, the Equaliser and the Daystar hidden from view but very much at hand if needed.

Next to him strode Reynald de Chatillon, wearing the gleaming Pride of the Legion armour – a gift to the party from the Order for dealing with the Fallen Paladins and, in Harrian’s eyes, the most fitting possible armour to equip Reynald with. Today would be a test for their new party member as much as anything else, and from the way the former knight carried himself and the assured way he gripped the Sword of Chaos made Harrian’s hopes for Reynald quite high.

On the swashbuckler’s other side walked Imoen and Jaheira, the latter in her brilliant chainmail and holding herself with all the assurance Harrian had ever associated her with; the former’s suit of Elven Chainmail clinking lightly as she moved. That in itself was telling – Imoen would normally be silent in all actions; that she was shifting around needlessly spoke of how nervous she – quite rightfully – felt.

Behind them, three-abreast, strode Anomen, lamplight glinting dangerously off the Flail of Ages; Minsc, giant Warblade already in his hand, ready to cut down the undead; and Aerie, who gripped her quarterstaff with a stoic determination none of the others had yet seen her exuding.

They had marched down to the Underdark before, on a journey of high risk and length. This was the first time they had travelled, exclusively, into battle. This was to be a fight to the death, and none of them intended it to be their death.

Sunlight had not yet penetrated the high buildings of the city yet, and the graveyard was still shrouded in darkness as they approached it. There was still time to wait for the Paladins and the Shadow Thieves, then to commence the attack once the sun rose. But all they would do now was wait.

They came to a halt just in the entrance, Harrian sweeping his cloak back so it wouldn’t get in his way when the combat started. There was a grim, oppressive silence that had settled, the tension of the situation getting to them all as they stood around awkwardly, shifting a little.

“Did you hear the one about the gold dwarf, the goblin, and the halfling innkeeper?” Imoen asked at last, her quiet voice nevertheless jerking them out of their reveries as effectively as if she had shouted.

They all turned to stare at her. “What?” Anomen asked, a little numbly.

“It’s a joke,” said Imoen. Despite this fact, Harrian still thought she looked as if she was going to be sick. He wasn’t sure he could blame her.

Reynald blinked, tearing his eyes away from the ornate entrance to the graveyard he had been examining analytically. “Very well…”

“Right.” Imoen pasted a sickly smile on her face. “So this dwarf walks into a tavern –“

“Telling jokes?” a cool, cold, and decidedly dangerous voice interrupted Imoen’s attempt to lighten the mood. “I can’t say it’s exactly how I expected to find the conquering heroes of light arrive in an attempt to destroy me.”

The Daystar was in Harrian’s hand in an instant, and he whirled around to point it threateningly at Bodhi, hearing the others similarly launch into action. The vampire was lounged casually against one of the tombstones by the entrance, looking for all the world as if a team of adventurers come to destroy her and her cult was merely a minor inconvenience.

“Downfalls come from the most unexpected of places,” Harrian told her coldly, his sword unwavering from where it was pointed at her throat.

Bodhi’s eyes narrowed at him in her first show of any emotion beyond cool indifference. “You are an annoying pest, and one I look forward to erasing. You have survived by luck so far, but now you have wandered right into my willing hands. Luck ends here.”

“Really? It was luck that kept us all alive last time? Luck that sent you and your brethren fleeing away from the scourge of righteousness?” Anomen interjected, glaring and swinging the Flail of Ages slightly, clearly itching to use it.

“It was your heritage that kept you alive last time, Child of Bhaal.” Although it was Anomen who had spoken, Bodhi’s gaze did not waver from Harrian’s. “The darkness within you transformed to a full physical manifestation.” A cold smile crossed her face. “I heard about what happened the day after, where your old enemies caught up with you somewhat.”

Harrian’s expression only flickered a little. He remembered that day only too well. “Quint was irrelevant; nothing more than a mere interference from a fop who didn’t know when business had moved on.”

“Was your transformation that nearly killed half your party irrelevant? I think not.” Bodhi sauntered forwards slowly, and although swords were raised more aggressively, nobody moved to attack. They were at an impasse, of sorts – the party not wanting to do anything that could trigger an all-out battle before their allies had arrived, Bodhi possibly not wanting to launch into a battle where she was outnumbered seven to one.

“You are a curiosity amongst your kind, Corias,” the vampire continued, looking at him. “Most Children of Bhaal, like Sarevok, keep their distance from others; do not allow close anyone for any reasons other than merely using them. You… have your friends and comrades, and seem very attached to them.” There was a pause as Bodhi’s gaze flickered to Imoen. “But you are not unique, Corias, it seems.”

Imoen met the vampire’s gaze without shuddering, though Harrian knew, from the way she tilted her head and clenched her jaw, that she was fighting back any fear or apprehension – it was indeed there, just hidden below the surface. “By the time the sun’s high in the sky, Bodhi, you’ll be dead and I have my soul back.”

Bodhi ignored her, focusing back on Harrian. “It is your weakness, Corias – these friends you keep, these comrades who are more than tools. You do not need them.”

Harrian smiled humourlessly. “I have many weaknesses, vampire. But my friends are not one of them.”

“No? You rely on them. They are your source of strength.” Bodhi laughed a cold laugh. “But you do not need them to be. And they are weaker than you are. When you draw your strength from those weaker than you, it makes your strength tenuous. As your source could so easily be eradicated.”

“We are stronger than you think, abomination of nature,” Jaheira spoke up, her voice just as icy as Bodhi’s. “And Harrian has his own strength; he does not need us as his source. With or without us, he will prevail, and you shall die this day.”

Bodhi’s expression lightened. “Ah yes, Jaheira… once the guardian, once the guide, and now the lover. I suppose you are the greatest support of all.” She smiled disturbingly playfully. “You know how it is to lose that source of strength, don’t you. Irenicus took away yours.” The smile broadened as Jaheira’s iron grip on her scimitar tightened even more. “And you had Harrian Corias here. You managed to push on strongly. I wonder, would he manage to continue so willingly without his source of strength?”

Looking back, Harrian wasn’t entirely sure how it had happened so quickly – or indeed, how it had happened at all. When Bodhi launched forwards, Minsc let out a great bellow, Aerie screamed, Reynald spat the most ferocious curse he’d ever heard a knight utter, Imoen muttered the beginnings of a spell, and Anomen blinked and mumbled “Helm!”

Then a sudden, thick fog had surrounded them, even as Harrian launched himself forwards, knowing Bodhi’s target without even realising it; going so far as to drop his sword, thinking that… if he got there, if he grabbed Jaheira, it would be…

He collided with the wall, hitting his shoulder against it painfully. But he ignored the ache, ignored the explosion of shock within the party, ignored the terse shouts of greetings from Sir Eric of the Radiant Heart and Arkanis of the Shadow Thieves as they finally arrived seconds too late. All he could hear was the clattering of a scimitar dropped on the floor, and all he could see was the air where Jaheira had once been but was no longer.

The sun peeked over the top of the nearest buildings, and a ray of sunlight shone over to reflect dazzlingly off the polished metal of Belm as it clattered against the stone paving. Jaheira was gone, and Bodhi had taken her.

#2 Guest_argan_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:11 PM

Hey ho :shock:
Great chapter
:o

#3 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:20 PM

They had marched down to the Underdark before, on a journey of high risk and length. This was the first time they had travelled, exclusively, into battle. This was to be a fight to the death, and none of them intended it to be their death.

Very atmospheric introduction :shock: . I can just imagine it as the opening of a movie, with dramatic music playing in the background.

“Did you hear the one about the gold dwarf, the goblin, and the halfling innkeeper?” Imoen asked at last, her quiet voice nevertheless jerking them out of their reveries as effectively as if she had shouted.

LOL! See, they don't need Haer to entertain them.

“Right.” Imoen pasted a sickly smile on her face. “So this dwarf walks into a tavern –“

“Telling jokes?” a cool, cold, and decidedly dangerous voice interrupted Imoen’s attempt to lighten the mood. “I can’t say it’s exactly how I expected to find the conquering heroes of light arrive in an attempt to destroy me.”

:o Aw, I wanted to hear the joke.

Bodhi’s expression lightened. “Ah yes, Jaheira… once the guardian, once the guide, and now the lover. I suppose you are the greatest support of all.” She smiled disturbingly playfully. “You know how it is to lose that source of strength, don’t you. Irenicus took away yours.” The smile broadened as Jaheira’s iron grip on her scimitar tightened even more. “And you had Harrian Corias here. You managed to push on strongly. I wonder, would he manage to continue so willingly without his source of strength?”

I like the way you've expanded on the conversation here - it makes Bodhi seem even more creepy than usual.

Then a sudden, thick fog had surrounded them, even as Harrian launched himself forwards, knowing Bodhi’s target without even realising it; going so far as to drop his sword, thinking that… if he got there, if he grabbed Jaheira, it would be…

:P

The sun peeked over the top of the nearest buildings, and a ray of sunlight shone over to reflect dazzlingly off the polished metal of Belm as it clattered against the stone paving. Jaheira was gone, and Bodhi had taken her.

:) Poor Harrian. Not his fault this happened, but he'll probably find some way to blame himself anyway. And the next few days sure aren't going to much fun for him.

#4 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:22 PM

Hey ho :shock:

Oh, har de har har. Ha. Ha.

Shuttit. :lol: :P

Great chapter
:)

And I should think so too! :o

Cheers! :o

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:26 PM

Seven grim-faced warriors with arms and armour that would put a king’s soldiers to shame were not a common sight to be seen marching down the main street in the pre-dawn darkness.

Oooh, very epic. Not all seven will return and the faces will be even more grim than now.

On the swashbuckler’s other side walked Imoen and Jaheira, the latter in her brilliant chainmail and holding herself with all the assurance Harrian had ever associated her with; the former’s suit of Elven Chainmail clinking lightly as she moved. That in itself was telling – Imoen would normally be silent in all actions; that she was shifting around needlessly spoke of how nervous she – quite rightfully – felt.

Ah, the last few hours of soullesness for Immy... Harrian will soon be quite busy grieving to feel much joy about that.

Behind them, three-abreast, strode Anomen, lamplight glinting dangerously off the Flail of Ages; Minsc, giant Warblade already in his hand, ready to cut down the undead; and Aerie, who gripped her quarterstaff with a stoic determination none of the others had yet seen her exuding.

:shock: Sedatives, much?

Oh, no worries - there will be plenty of paladunces and tasty little assassins for vampires to feast upon.

Sigh. Bodhi, no sense of humor whatsoever.

“You are a curiosity amongst your kind, Corias,” the vampire continued, looking at him. “Most Children of Bhaal, like Sarevok, keep their distance from others; do not allow close anyone for any reasons other than merely using them. You… have your friends and comrades, and seem very attached to them.” There was a pause as Bodhi’s gaze flickered to Imoen. “But you are not unique, Corias, it seems.”

Aw, come on, be fair - the Five are great friends too. :)

Eeep. Here it comes. :P

Don't just stand there, go get her! :o

#6 Guest_argan_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:27 PM

Hey ho :o

Oh, har de har har. Ha. Ha.

Shuttit. :o :)

Make me :shock:

Great chapter
:lol:

And I should think so too! :)

No, really?!!! I thought you wrote this chapter just for the option to be able to moan about it later! I mean, what is the point in writing an enjoyable chapter, really? Giving the readers what they want? Tsk....

Cheers! :P

#7 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:27 PM

Very atmospheric introduction :P . I can just imagine it as the opening of a movie, with dramatic music playing in the background.

Cheers. I listened to the IWD theme (which I always find more inspiring than the BG one) to get me into the mood for this... they're not here to deal with a dungeon and its traps, puzzles, challenges. They're here to fight, and nothing more.

LOL! See, they don't need Haer to entertain them.

LOL! Once Imoen's back to normal, balance should arrive. :shock:

:) Aw, I wanted to hear the joke.

My skills may be broad but they do not involve making up extensive jokes like that. I can come up with a beginning and a thoroughly confusing end, though! :)

I like the way you've expanded on the conversation here - it makes Bodhi seem even more creepy than usual.

She's hitting closer to the bone here. Doesn't need to be so generic in fics. :o

:lol:

Indeed...

:o Poor Harrian. Not his fault this happened, but he'll probably find some way to blame himself anyway. And the next few days sure aren't going to much fun for him.

He'll take it hard, indeed. Right now, though he's going to want to unleash hell intensely... Not happy times ahead.

Cheers!

#8 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:46 PM

Oooh, very epic. Not all seven will return and the faces will be even more grim than now.

Indeed. This is grim determination. Soon, it'll be... grim anguish. If that's quite a phrase.

Ah, the last few hours of soullesness for Immy... Harrian will soon be quite busy grieving to feel much joy about that.

Indeed. And Harrian in the foulest of moods... not nice.

:shock: Sedatives, much?

:?

Oh, no worries - there will be plenty of paladunces and tasty little assassins for vampires to feast upon.

Indeed. THEY can die!! :)

Sigh. Bodhi, no sense of humor whatsoever.

More so then Jonny. :lol:

Aw, come on, be fair - the Five are great friends too. :)

Backstabbing murdering friends, mind. :o

Eeep. Here it comes. :)

Mmm-hmm. :P

Don't just stand there, go get her! :o

Oh, he will. He will...

#9 Guest_Yazston_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 10:47 PM

Well, hello there! I think this is the first time I've commented on your story.. but I've been reading it a lot! :)

And this time it's REALLY Chapter 136! And finally... *drum rolls* Some plot progression!!

Um.. Yay? ;)

...Just kidding! :)

Athkatla, the City of Coin, was not one of the many cities which tended to rise with the sun. This was because, more than anything else, the city didn’t go to sleep in the first place. Just before dawn, the streets would be filling up with merchants setting out their wares, and businessmen flitting off to their centres of employment, ready for the day’s work. They themselves would be taking over from the nightshift of activity presided over by the courtesans and the thieves – of whom there were many in such a centre of iniquity. Different people ruled the day and the night, but Athkatla was never left to its own devices. Everyone had their time.

Adventurers, in particular, tended to be limited to the daytime, as they were not known for being early risers when in the city. Innkeepers were accustomed to encountering them coming downstairs as the sun hung high in the sky, bleary-eyed and hung-over after one of many after a night of general revelry. If they did get up early it was to leave town, and then they would be a jovial, laughing and active lot heading for the city gates.

A great beginning, I must say! :?

I can imagine dat.. :) But, go you! :)

Today would be a test for their new party member as much as anything else, and from the way the former knight carried himself and the assured way he gripped the Sword of Chaos made Harrian’s hopes for Reynald quite high.

So, he's gonna stay? (If he succeed..)

That in itself was telling – Imoen would normally be silent in all actions; that she was shifting around needlessly spoke of how nervous she – quite rightfully – felt.

Oh, poor Immy.. :)

and Aerie, who gripped her quarterstaff with a stoic determination none of the others had yet seen her exuding.

Right... Well, it's nice to see her as a different kind of person.. than the one in BG2. :D She has a backbone here.. :)

No! But tell us moooreee! Pleeaasee! :D

:shock: Right in the middle of a nice little joke.. Sod off!

The Daystar was in Harrian’s hand in an instant, and he whirled around to point it threateningly at Bodhi, hearing the others similarly launch into action. The vampire was lounged casually against one of the tombstones by the entrance, looking for all the world as if a team of adventurers come to destroy her and her cult was merely a minor inconvenience.

Well, they are gonna destroy you and your little cult.. so, goodbye! Imoen was telling us a joke!

Bodhi’s eyes narrowed at him in her first show of any emotion beyond cool indifference. “You are an annoying pest, and one I look forward to erasing. You have survived by luck so far, but now you have wandered right into my willing hands. Luck ends here.”

Bah! Luck? No way! Skill? Yeah! :) (Argh! My brains aren't working - maybe because I'm sleepy? But, anyways, you should have seen the amount of typos I made in that single little.. thingy?)

“It was your heritage that kept you alive last time, Child of Bhaal.” Although it was Anomen who had spoken, Bodhi’s gaze did not waver from Harrian’s. “The darkness within you transformed to a full physical manifestation.” A cold smile crossed her face. “I heard about what happened the day after, where your old enemies caught up with you somewhat.”

She certainly is scary.. ;)

They were at an impasse, of sorts – the party not wanting to do anything that could trigger an all-out battle before their allies had arrived, Bodhi possibly not wanting to launch into a battle where she was outnumbered seven to one.

Yeah, well, Bodhi is a coward.. :lol:

There was a pause as Bodhi’s gaze flickered to Imoen. “But you are not unique, Corias, it seems.”

You stay away from Immy, did you hear me? :o

Bodhi ignored her, focusing back on Harrian. “It is your weakness, Corias – these friends you keep, these comrades who are more than tools. You do not need them.”

Having friends isn't a weakness.. you'd be amazed if you saw what friendship can do.

No... :o

and Anomen blinked and mumbled “Helm!”

lol I can imagine that! :) " :P ...Helm..." Ugh... *walks away, muttering something about new brains*

No, no, no! Don't do this, B. Don't do it! Harrian, though he'll be very sad and he will most probably blame himself, he will come after you and that is your end!

A Great Episode, I should say! :P Enjoyed it very, very much!

#10 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 11:17 PM

Well, hello there! I think this is the first time I've commented on your story.. but I've been reading it a lot! :)

Eeee! Excellent! Brand new comments always exceptionally welcome!

Um.. Yay? :?

Well, seeing as I failed basic numeracy last chapter and missed 135 in heading, I think it's cause for celebration! :P

...Just kidding! :P

Should think so! :?

A great beginning, I must say! :)

It's one of my favourites. I've frequently rambled in this fic about Athkatla at dawn... but this chapter is more atmospheric than most.

I can imagine dat.. :lol: But, go you! :D

Hey, right now we're talking some level 15-odd adventurers with some seriously good equipment. Not to be scoffed at. :D

So, he's gonna stay? (If he succeed..)

Yep. Reynald wins slot number 6 in the party. But 'tis not the final party change to take place between now and the end of the fic. :D

Oh, poor Immy.. :(

It's quite a shame that the whole lover-being-stolen does overshadow Imoen's restoration a touch. But right now, this has to be harder for her than anyone.

Right... Well, it's nice to see her as a different kind of person.. than the one in BG2. :) She has a backbone here.. :D

Yeah. I took a liberal interpretation of Aerie for ToD. Took her backstory, took her basic personality, but expanded on it. I never found it convincing that someone who'd been through the horrors she'd been through would be quite as whiny. So I turned down the whiny, turned up the backbone, and she actually became useless.

Plus, with the love triangle, I would have felt cheap if I'd made her out to be a whiny loser. I hate that approach to a story - it should never be that straightforward, and even though - or maybe even as - there wasn't much doubt that Harrian's affections were always going to remain with Jaheira, it made it a much stronger subplot to make Aerie likeable.

Of course, I can't stand the Bioware version. But I see her as one of the greatest losses. Her story makes for some serious angsty goodness, but the fact that she's so... damned... irritating.... ARGH!!!

No! But tell us moooreee! Pleeaasee! :)

Nope. There IS no more. :P

:o Right in the middle of a nice little joke.. Sod off!

...then the dwarf said: "That's NOT my battleaxe!"

Well, they are gonna destroy you and your little cult.. so, goodbye! Imoen was telling us a joke!

Yeah! It's like interrupting Haer'Dalis during a ballad...!

...except, of course, in that case the interruption would be welcome.

Bah! Luck? No way! Skill? Yeah! :P (Argh! My brains aren't working - maybe because I'm sleepy? But, anyways, you should have seen the amount of typos I made in that single little.. thingy?)

Oh, I know, my brain's fried to. All I've got done today writing-wise was some minor polishing. I really should write more of hell. :shock:

She certainly is scary.. :?

I tried. :P

Yeah, well, Bodhi is a coward.. :o

She keeps... running away!

You stay away from Immy, did you hear me? :)

Yeah! She's already had enough happen to her!

Having friends isn't a weakness.. you'd be amazed if you saw what friendship can do.

Exactly. If they're the right friends, they're the greatest strength. Harrian has friends here who would follow him to the ends of the Earth - Anomen in particular has no REASON to do what he's doing, has no personal vendetta against Jonny or Bodhi, but is still doing everything to defeat them... for friendship.

No... :P

:?

lol I can imagine that! :) " :) ...Helm..." Ugh... *walks away, muttering something about new brains*

Anomen doesn't have the best reaction time in the world. ;)

No, no, no! Don't do this, B. Don't do it! Harrian, though he'll be very sad and he will most probably blame himself, he will come after you and that is your end!

Bodhi shall suffer.

A Great Episode, I should say! :) Enjoyed it very, very much!

Cheers muchos! Always nice to hear from the lurkers. ;)

#11 Guest_Yazston_*

Posted 24 October 2003 - 11:39 PM

:shock: Right in the middle of a nice little joke.. Sod off!

...then the dwarf said: "That's NOT my battleaxe!"

Either, I'm veeryy sleepy, or then I'm just crazy.. but.. that made me laugh! :o (But now that my parents are sleeping, I tried to keep it inside... and I turned out to be a.. yes.. a Gandalf.)

...Whaaaatt? I mean, I laughed like he does.. but my mouth was closed..

...Whaaaaatt? I really should reconsider buing new brains!

Yeah! It's like interrupting Haer'Dalis during a ballad...!

...except, of course, in that case the interruption would be welcome.

lol Yes, very warmly welcomed!

Cheers muchos! Always nice to hear from the lurkers. :P

Yess.. that's right! I'm a lurker! :) But, be welcome!

#12 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 07:40 AM

Chapter 136: Sources

This is great. Personofying the city like that. I almost feel sorry for Athkatla. (esp. w/ Kowlies)

Oooh.

The chill of the night had not yet been chased off by the sun, and so Harrian still had his thick cloak wrapped tightly around his shoulders. For once both scabbards were strapped to his back, the Equaliser and the Daystar hidden from view but very much at hand if needed.

Kewl! Gonna pay off against vampies!

good touch

Ooh, nice!

Uhoh.....time for Jaheira's, eh, temp. 'exeunt'?

LOL

“Was your transformation that nearly killed half your party irrelevant? I think not.” Bodhi sauntered forwards slowly, and although swords were raised more aggressively, nobody moved to attack. They were at an impasse, of sorts – the party not wanting to do anything that could trigger an all-out battle before their allies had arrived, Bodhi possibly not wanting to launch into a battle where she was outnumbered seven to one.

Good....that's good. I like impasses. Allow for speechies!

“No? You rely on them. They are your source of strength.” Bodhi laughed a cold laugh. “But you do not need them to be. And they are weaker than you are. When you draw your strength from those weaker than you, it makes your strength tenuous. As your source could so easily be eradicated.”

:shock: Uh-oh!

He collided with the wall, hitting his shoulder against it painfully. But he ignored the ache, ignored the explosion of shock within the party, ignored the terse shouts of greetings from Sir Eric of the Radiant Heart and Arkanis of the Shadow Thieves as they finally arrived seconds too late. All he could hear was the clattering of a scimitar dropped on the floor, and all he could see was the air where Jaheira had once been but was no longer.

:shock:

Ooh, you did this well!

btw, has there been ANY other SoA fic to get this far, or nearly so? The closest I can think of is TnT, which has just gotten to Brynnlaw. In any case, congrats 'in advance', it's really cool.

#13 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 25 October 2003 - 05:13 PM

This is great. Personofying the city like that. I almost feel sorry for Athkatla. (esp. w/ Kowlies)

I know! You'd think they'd let the city get some rest every once in a while! ;)

Oooh.

Not people to be messed with coming through...

Kewl! Gonna pay off against vampies!

Yes. They're going all-out on this one. Two swords may be cumbersome to use on a dungeon-crawling adventure, but when the only intention is to fight... well...

good touch

I do try to make Imoen's thief roots in this as plain as possible (and strictly, in this she's more of a Thief-Mage multi than dual. And yes, because dual makes precious little real sense!;))

Ooh, nice!

My Aerie has backbone. ;) She'll be leaving shortly, but not after helping in the fight.

Uhoh.....time for Jaheira's, eh, temp. 'exeunt'?

Yes.... and resurrection's a bitch...

LOL

Bodhi is nothing if not perpetually casual.

Good....that's good. I like impasses. Allow for speechies!

Exactly! There has to be SOME reason for all of the spouting of platitudes that come up before all major fights! ;)

:shock: Uh-oh!

Yep... :?

:cry:

Too late. 'tis all in the works and unstoppable...

Ooh, you did this well!

Cheers! ;)

btw, has there been ANY other SoA fic to get this far, or nearly so? The closest I can think of is TnT, which has just gotten to Brynnlaw. In any case, congrats 'in advance', it's really cool.

Well, A Capella's almost finished. And there are quite a few Novellas or Short Story collections that have spanned SoA... but off the top of my head, this is one of the few novels (ie, more than 100-odd chapters and detailing most of the events) that has got this far. And I don't know how far Dorotea's Story of a Girl Without a Name got... Still need to read it (Excellent! More fics to while away time reading!).

But I am pretty smug, yes. ;) Will be more smug - and possibly stunned beyond belief - when I'm done. It'll be... FINISHED. Scary... :shock:

(should be finished writing by end of weekend. If I move my little tapping fingers quicker. Now THAT is very disturbing. I've been doing this so long the end has never seemed to be in sight).

#14 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:26 PM

I do try to make Imoen's thief roots in this as plain as possible (and strictly, in this she's more of a Thief-Mage multi than dual. And yes, because dual makes precious little real sense!:wink:)

Well, A Capella's almost finished. And there are quite a few Novellas or Short Story collections that have spanned SoA... but off the top of my head, this is one of the few novels (ie, more than 100-odd chapters and detailing most of the events) that has got this far. And I don't know how far Dorotea's Story of a Girl Without a Name got... Still need to read it (Excellent! More fics to while away time reading!).

Oh yeah duh, I just read the kill-Irenicus chap of A Capella. I forgot it cuz it was so fresh in my mind, and I was doing long-term recall....

But I am pretty smug, yes. :D Will be more smug - and possibly stunned beyond belief - when I'm done. It'll be... FINISHED. Scary... :wink:

:D the champagne is being chilled....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com