Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 5.9.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 17 September 2003 - 11:07 AM

Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 5.9.

Matron Mother’s eldest daughter is an undeniably beautiful woman, her figure even slimmer than Jaheira’s or Viconia’s, her face narrow and has those traits that are characteristic to nobility – high cheekbones, full lips forming a disdainful expression and her eyes… dark, mysterious, but most importantly – frighteningly cruel…

“Well, it is about time that you did something about those illithid,” Phaere expresses her gratefulness to us, “I was beginning to think that they will manage to reach their city after all.”

“Greetings, Phaere, daughter of Ardulace,” Solaufein bows, “I trust you are unharmed?”

“Solaufein? Is that you… ha, so Matron Mother sent you, did she?” Phaere laughs, “How it must gall you, to risk your life to save mine…”

“I did as I was commanded,” Solaufein responds calmly and I understand that there is some kind of past between these two and I have a vague suspicion of what nature their relationship has been.

“Yes… yes, you did, as any male should,” Phaere speaks more to herself than to anyone else, “I suppose you and your assistance have done well enough… but, who is this male with you?” I see that Phaere is looking at me and her piercing stare is very hard to withstand, luckily I have practiced to face something similar coming from my beloved Jaheira…

“That one? That is just-” Solaufein snorts, but Phaere interrupts him.

“I am sure he can speak for himself, Solaufein. So, who are you, my valiant rescuer?”

“Rindvel… of Ched Nasad,” I manage to speak without stammering even though she makes me feel very uneasy.

“Oh, a foreigner? How interesting… we shall speak more, you and I, once we are back in the city. I shall head back to the city on my own and inform the Matron Mother of your… adequate service, Solaufein. You have proven useful and should be grateful about it,” Phaere sneers, clearly enjoying humiliating Solaufein before our eyes.

“What if you encounter danger again? I will not be responsible for that Phaere, allow me to accompany you,” Solaufein protests.

“Your concern is touching, but I am well capable of handling myself,” Phaere retorts, “And as it is my command, you have no choice but to obey it. Farewell.”

“Blasted, arrogant wench! May the Spider Queen bite at her black heart!” Solaufein curses after Phaere has disappeared from our sight, “I will follow her regardless, ensuring that her over-confidence does not lead me into more trouble. Return to city on your own, I shall meet you near the city gates.”

“Solaufein?” Jaheira speaks before Solaufein has left us, “I am sorry that our actions led you into suffering the wrath of the Handmaiden.”

“You… you are not very drow to show such weakness… as sympathy,” Solaufein is slightly perplexed, as am I – I have no idea what prompted Jaheira to say those words, “Although I… appreciate the thought behind your words. Handmaiden Imrae enjoyed administering her punishment excessively. It was rather… difficult. But enough of this - I should not let Phaere out of my sight while wasting my time here. We shall see each other soon enough.”

Solaufein leaves us, leaving us standing amongst the dead bodies of illithid and umber hulks, a reminiscence of a well planned and fought battle… we had enough time to prepare and with aid of our protection spells, summoned creatures and smart thinking from Edwin who quickly got rid of all umber hulks with simple casting of a powerful death spell, we were able to prevail with ease. I have to admit that Solaufein is a warrior of great skill and that makes me even uneasier…

“Do you really had to say that to him?” I ask Jaheira without even bothering to hide my annoyance, “He might think that you are after him or whatnot…”

“Did it sound like that?” Jaheira seems genuinely surprised, “I did not mean to indicate that, I thought… well, I think having good relationship with him might prove beneficial… just as we should try to get on the right side of that Phaere.”

“She is right, Rindvel,” Viconia adds, “this Solaufein is an odd Drow, I can tell you as much – seems that our dear Heira has found a weakness in his armor that we can exploit. But do not go for the same approach when you talk with Phaere, she is not the one to appease with offering your sympathies… be humble, but show some spine – I think you have some, be it rather undeveloped…”

“And be careful, I did not like how she was leering at you,” Jaheira glances towards me as we continue walking amongst the rocks towards the drow city.

“I will be, but you should be careful yourself,” is my reply, as I look at her meaningfully.

“Hmph, I do not like the implication of your words, but I should like to remind you that Solaufein, being a male, cannot push me into doing something that I do not desire,” Jaheira frowns.

“Correct, he would not risk that,” Viconia confirms Jaheira’s words, “now, Phaere would not have such worries… she can demand anything from any of us… though, I think she probably wants something from you, Rindvel… perhaps it would be a good way to get some information through a little pillow talk with Phaere, but I don’t think our Heira here would be impressed…”

“You can be sure about that,” Jaheira murmurs.

“I have absolutely no inclination to get information in that way,” I retort angrily, “could we please change the topic?”

“You started it, beloved,” Jaheira notes politely.

Yes, I did… somehow I always end up feeling guilty after these arguments with her… or any women for that matter…

“Eddie? I mean… Dewin?” Imoen pipes up as we continue on our way, “that was awesome how you took out them with one simple casting… I mean… you are so smart… I am really glad that you agreed to teach me a thing or two…”

“Err, when did I agree to that? (Must have slipped my mind… how in the nine hells did that happen?) But of course, you are right – only I, the magnificent Edwin Odesseiron-”

“Um, Dewin, remember that we are working undercover,” I stop his tirades, “it might be unwise if you would start boasting with this ‘I, Edwin Odesseiron’ in the middle of Ust Natha…”

“I shall overlook that derogatory remark, but only because I am in a relatively good mood. Indeed, once again, I have proven that there is no other wizard that could even come close to me when it requires to make a quick decision and only I am able to make such an impeccable spell selection from my vast repertoire of available spells,” Edwin proudly finishes.

“Umm… yeah, of course now I also know to use Death Spell against umber hulks,” Imoen notes with a giggle, “so, got any other tips, oh Magnificent Red?”

“What? Oh, I see… well, you have shown signs of finally realizing my true place and importance to this party, so I might be magnanimous and show you the generosity in allowing you to draw from the pool of my unfathomable knowledge…” Edwin’s excessive boasting indicates that he is indeed in a good mood, “so, is there anything in particular that interests you, my humble and willing student?”

“Err… yeah… jeez, I kinda forgot what I wanted to ask with all your boas… I mean, with all those words of wisdom coming from your mouth, Dewin…” Imoen corrects herself, “ah, yes… I simply wanted to ask do you have a spare scroll of Lower Magic Resistance spell, Dewin… I would not want to stand around being useless or waiting until your spells take effect…”

“Is that all, a simple scroll of Lower Resistance?” Edwin sounds disappointed, “Of course I have one, my collection of magical scrolls is undoubtedly the largest in all of the Faerun (large enough to help me become the new Zulkir of Conjuration, that much is certain). Are you absolutely sure that it is all you require? You don’t seem to show the necessary eagerness that I would expect from someone that has the privilege to learn from one such as I.”

“You really have the scroll? Really? Funny, coz it wasn’t amongst those others in your backpack…” Imoen whistles innocently as the rest of us except Edwin burst into giggles…

“Of course not, I keep the most important scrolls stacked in my belt, you see,” Edwin explains calmly, before retrieving the scroll and passing it over to Imoen. Seems that he has missed the meaning of Imoen’s previous comment, which does not surprise me.

“Aw, thanks Dewin, you’re so sweet,” Imoen throws a beaming look towards Edwin and hides the scroll inside her mage robe.

“We are nearing the gate so keep quiet with your blabbering,” Viconia barks.

“And I hope that you remember what we talked about just recently,” Jaheira throws me a meaningful look and I cannot help but feeling falsely accused of doing something that I even have not thought about. I will spank her for this as soon as the opportunity presents itself… I promise to myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com