Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 5.8.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 17 September 2003 - 08:41 AM

Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 5.8.

Viconia assumes leadership in negotiations with the Drow guards at the city gates and very quickly the gate opens to let us inside. After that she continues to lead us through the city towards the Male Fighters Society where we are supposed to meet someone by the name of Solaufein. I was not expecting the city to be much for sightseeing, but it seems to have even surpassed my greatest fears… the dark mansions made from stone and marble give a very lifeless and depressing impression.

We have to make our way from one large marble platform to another, these all are connected by narrow passageways, both the platforms and passageways are encircled by iron fencing to prevent the careless or drunk citizens from losing their lives on the ground below, a quick estimation tells that there are at least ten yards to fall…

As I expected, Jaheira takes initiative while talking with this Solaufein person, she is not one that will allow Viconia to assume leadership unchallenged, regardless of the attendant circumstances. Solaufein, a rather large, muscular looking Drow warrior does not waste time with us and redirects us to another meeting… I swear that Solaufein looked a bit cautious when saying to Jaheira that she should not challenge him simply because of being female… I suppose that she is finding it easy to adjust to the role of female in the Drow society.

Solaufein explains that one of the Matron Mothers has taken an interest in our arrival and wants to test our skills… great, another errand running, no doubt… Apparently this Matron Mother has sent a Handmaiden to meet us and Solaufein quickly gives us instructions on how to get to the designed spot.

“I will go to seek her out now,” Solaufein speaks resolutely, “If you are wise, you will not keep her waiting. The Handmaidens are not of the patient sort.”

“Ew, spiders,” Imoen looks with the disgust at the large spider pits alongside the passageways as we head towards the meeting with our new superiors…

“Ew, spiders?” Viconia looks at Imoen with disbelief, “if someone ever hears you saying that, you will end up in one such spider pit before you can blink an eye. I think I will need to instruct you more thoroughly than the others, first thing as we have some free time. For now keep your mouth shut, little Noemi, and remember – we have to be absolutely obedient when referring to the higher rank, especially Handmaidens of Lolth and Matron Mothers.”

“Ah, and Heira?” Viconia turns to face Jaheira, “I thought you handled Solaufein adequately. I thought you would fit in this society and I was not proven wrong… of course, it would be much more advisable if I was to continue the negotiation, you are likely to mess something up sooner or later.”

“Forget it, Covinia,” Jaheira snorts, “he now considers me the leader so it would be unwise if we switched the roles again. I will keep the talking whether you want it or not.”

“Err… aren’t you forgetting something?” I speak up timidly.

“What would that be?” Jaheira looks quizzically.

“Well… technically, I am the leader of this group, right?” I say hesitantly.

“Ah, do keep quiet, male!” Viconia and Jaheira reply in unison…

“It would be safer if a female was leading the party at least while we are in the city,” Jaheira explains seeing my peevishness, “It would attract less attention to us.”

Of course my acting offended is only a silly act, in reality I do not give a damn about who leads as long as we are making some progress. And it’s not like I am unused to take orders from Jaheira, anyway…

We reach the platform to see that Solaufein already awaits us there together with an older looking Drow female - that would be the impatient Handmaiden, I presume.

“Good, you are here,” Solaufein addresses us as we approach closer, “Your time in Ust Natha will be far less unpleasant if you will continue to perform in such timely fashion. As I explained, Matron Mother has a task for us… Imrae, favored of Lolth, this is the group from Ched Nasad that might prove to be of use.”

Imrae looks at us sharply and amidst the treats and intimidation of what may happen if we fail the Matron Mother’s trust, her speech contains some useful information. Apparently most of the Drow warriors that were located in Ust Natha are elsewhere and busy with preparations… that could only mean one thing – warfare. Before I can ponder about it more, Imrae orders Solaufein to explain the details of the task to us.

“Immediately, Handmaiden,” Solaufein bows his head, “If I were to speak of devourers… you would understand of whom I speak, yes?”

“Of course. Oty…”

“Of Illithid,” Jaheira cuts me off and looks at me angrily. Solaufein also looks at me with a slightly puzzled expression, but then turns towards Jaheira with a rather relieved expression on his face, likely feeling thankful that she has saved him from looking like a fool in front of Handmaiden.

“Yes… yes, illithid, that is how they call themselves… very intelligent of you, female,” Solaufein says – however, his words make me slightly uneasy, “They have long been our fiercest enemies and now Matron Mother’s eldest daughter ran afoul of devourers while on scouting mission. She has been taken captive and what a worthy trophy she makes… they plan to bring her to their city and if they are to succeed, she will be lost forever. With the preparations of the… armies, we are the only ones who can intercept them.”

Solaufein explains the details of the task as well as the location of the point of our meeting. He suggests that we head to the tavern and have a rest before the battle, but since we are still relatively fresh after our rest in the svirfneblin tavern, I propose that we head out immediately, stopping on our way at the tavern to reserve some rooms and drop the luggage that will not be necessary for the battle. Jaheira and Viconia agree with the plan - as they both have memorized the spells that are suitable for fighting illithid, they have no need for additional resting. Solaufein looks even slightly thankful for our resolution to get the job done as quickly as possible, unlikely that he would be relishing the opportunity to fight illithid, only an idiot would…

“There are many exquisite horrors that may be found for you in the Demonweb Pits, should you fail,” Imrae adds another series of threats, “ If you decide to run, the driders will eventually track you down. As for you, Solaufein... the Matron Mother expects even better from you. Report to the temple before you leave the city.”

“As… as you wish, Handmaiden,” the large warrior replies hesitantly.

“Aww, poor guy is in for some spanking…” Imoen whispers quietly as we turn around and leave towards the local tavern…

The Drow tavern is a huge establishment, a large, round platform in the middle is filled with tables and chairs, situated in a manner that allows the visitors to see the two large fighting pits alongside the central platform. In one of them two Drow are involved in a battle where the prize is the permission to live to fight another day… Viconia explains that the other pit is meant for fighting with all kinds of monsters, she mentions that it is a good way to raise easy money, should anyone of us be interested. I don’t think any of us are, though…

I notice that the tavern has more than one floor and Viconia clicks her tongue, having noticed that my stare is attached to the stairway leading to the upper floor…

“The pleasure chambers, Rindvel… are you interested?” she smirks.

“Uh… no, I doubt that,” I reply hurriedly.

We continue on our search for the proprietor of this place, he is not easy to find, as this place is huge indeed. Viconia notices the man as first, consequently she is the one that does all the bargaining, all the time shooting victorious glances towards Jaheira and I cannot help to think that this power struggle for leadership is rather silly indeed.

The innkeeper shows us to our rooms, we are lead through a long passageway until we reach a circular room at the end of the corridor, three doors on the sides of the central room. I like this convenient layout, it will give us all our privacy and we will have one common room in which to plan our actions.

We split apart to head and investigate our rooms, Jaheira and I take the one that is to the right, Imoen and Viconia pick the one in the middle and Edwin is left without a choice, as he has to accept the only room that is left. The room is rather pleasant and even has a small and cozy washing chamber next to it, but to fully appreciate the decorations and interior, one has to be a full-blooded Drow, not just a magical illusion of one…

As I look to the large bed in the middle of the room, I feel my belly churning a bit… the idea to make love with that Drow woman with Jaheira’s eyes and voice… it is slightly frightening but in the mean time it is… quite alluring. I cannot help but wonder - is it an indication that I would possibly consider cheating on her, if such chance presented itself? I think that this is different – it is impossible to betray Jaheira with… Jaheira… Just because she looks a bit different now, I should not have any moral problems with that. And if she agrees that we should get intimate despite all this, then I would have no reason at all to feel guilty…

“I am ready to depart. Theodur?” Jaheira’s voice startles me. Ah, yes… there was that small matter with slaying some illithid…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com