Death and Taxes 1

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chantrys_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 03:31 AM

Ah, what the heck. I might as well add to the growing pile of stories on this board. :wink:

A little note before I post: This version of the main character will be very...different from his usual portrayal. So, with that out of the way...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The gods are pissing on the roof again,” said Snick. He wiped dribbles of rain from the dingy bar and glared upwards. “Bastards couldn’t hold it until I got the new shingles nailed on.”

Thunder cracked like a whip across my eardrums, and I grimaced. Another beautiful evening in the City of Coin. So many coins, and so many hands ready to take them. It was a town where thieves ruled the night and merchants could really make a killing. The perfect place for a guy like me.

“Another one, Mister A?”

“Yes.” I raised my glass and Snick topped it up with a double measure of cheap Westgate whiskey. I held it up to the light, admiring its deep amber glow, and took a slug. It burned a hole straight down my gullet. Great stuff. Really made you feel alive.

I’d spent many a night sitting at this counter, breathing in the air of smoke and desperation, knocking my drinks back one by one until I fell off the stool or found an expensive dame to take me home. That was exactly what I had in mind as I sat there that night. Until she walked in.

I saw her feet first, neatly encased in tiny black slippers with blue dragons embroidered on the toes. Wealthy dame, wearing the finest Athkatla had to offer. My eyes traveled up the sapphire silk skirts, the jewel-encrusted bodice, the sleek mink stole partially covered by a thick rain-spotted cloak. She put back her hood, revealing long golden fairy-princess curls and eyes as blue as the summer sky. Snick stared, his jaw hanging open, looking as if he’d just seen a goddess. He wasn’t far off.

Of all the bars in all of Faerun, she had to walk into this one. Mirielle Coltrane, the Bhaalspawn mage with a heart of gold and the bank account to match. Some folks called her the Savior of the Sword Coast, and some called her the Destroyer of Saradush. Me, I called her, “Sis.”

“Hello, Sis,” I said, motioning to Snick for another double whiskey on the rocks. “What brings you to this wretched dump?”

She flashed me that winsome little-girl smile. “Can’t a girl come by to say hello to her big brother?”

“No.” I turned back to my drink. “Looking good, Sis. I haven’t seen you since the wedding. What’s it been, five years?”

“I’ve been busy.”

“So I heard. Business must be good, too good to speak to your relatives.”

She glanced at the door. “I don’t have time for this. I need to talk to you, Sarevok. And Imoen, too, if she’s around.”

“Sit down, take a load off. She’ll turn up soon.”

“I need to talk to you alone.” She put a soft hand on my arm, and for a moment I felt infinitely privileged. “Please, Sarevok, I think they’re after me.”

Someone two tables away dropped a glass on the dusty floor, and Mirielle flinched. I’d never seen her flinch before, and we’d been through a lot worse than broken glass. I quit messing with her and began to pay attention. “Who?”

A tear rolled down her porcelain cheek, and she caught her breath in a painful sob. “The ones who killed my husband…”

#2 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 05:15 AM

A tear rolled down her porcelain cheek, and she caught her breath in a painful sob. “The ones who killed my husband…”

Interesting beginning, who could possibly be a treath to these people?

Have you seen: Meet joe black?

Hunter

#3 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 05:39 AM

“The gods are pissing on the roof again,” said Snick. He wiped dribbles of rain from the dingy bar and glared upwards. “Bastards couldn’t hold it until I got the new shingles nailed on.”

Heh... stupid Talos and his weak bladder...

Of all the bars in all of Faerun, she had to walk into this one. Mirielle Coltrane, the Bhaalspawn mage with a heart of gold and the bank account to match. Some folks called her the Savior of the Sword Coast, and some called her the Destroyer of Saradush. Me, I called her, “Sis.”

I love how you give this that lovely 'classic mystery' feel.

Whuuuuuuh? I love the cliff hanger here. Absolutely wonderful! Bravo and encore!

Looking forward to reading more,
-Blue

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 08:18 AM

What the...? :)

A noir-ish Sarevok??? What has this world come to? :wink:

And... I'm not exactly a fan of Kelsey (mildly put), but I seem to recall that his last name was Coltrane, yes? In that case...

You killed Kelsey! You bast... err... :(

Sorry if that last paragraph was meant to be heartbreaking, but I actually was laughing, though the reason for that was mostly Sarry's unique portrayal... :)

Anyways, that was pretty amusing to say the least... :(

#5 Guest_jcompton_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 03:16 PM

And... I'm not exactly a fan of Kelsey (mildly put)

Awww. But you care enough to point it out at every opportunity, and that's kind of like being a fan.

#6 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 03:25 PM

And... I'm not exactly a fan of Kelsey (mildly put)

Awww. But you care enough to point it out at every opportunity, and that's kind of like being a fan.

Double Awww... but you care enough to point out me for pointing it out, and that's kind of like being a fan too... :wink:

#7 Guest_Dark-Mage_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 05:09 PM

Good begining. Cant wait for more :wink:

#8 Guest_Chantrys_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 08:26 PM

Interesting beginning, who could possibly be a treath to these people?

(*whistles innocently*)

Have you seen: Meet joe black?

Actually, I haven't. Did I just inadvertently recreate a scene from the movie or something?

#9 Guest_Chantrys_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 08:30 PM

Heh... stupid Talos and his weak bladder...

:wink:

I love how you give this that lovely 'classic mystery' feel.

Thanks! I was toying with the idea of giving him a fedora and cigar, but thought that might be too much. Perhaps in the next chapter. :)

Whuuuuuuh? I love the cliff hanger here. Absolutely wonderful! Bravo and encore!

Looking forward to reading more,
-Blue

Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it!

#10 Guest_Chantrys_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 08:35 PM

What the...? :)

A noir-ish Sarevok??? What has this world come to? :wink:

Clearly it's becoming more amusing by the second. :(

And... I'm not exactly a fan of Kelsey (mildly put), but I seem to recall that his last name was Coltrane, yes? In that case...

You killed Kelsey! You bast... err... :(

:D There was a slightly modified version of that in my original closing paragraph, but my husband suggested that I let the readers think of that themselves.

Sorry if that last paragraph was meant to be heartbreaking, but I actually was laughing, though the reason for that was mostly Sarry's unique portrayal... :)

Nah, I was actually giggling to myself when I wrote this chapter, so I can't say that any of it was intended to be heartbreaking.

Anyways, that was pretty amusing to say the least... :D

I'm glad it was! Thank you very much for reading! :D

#11 Guest_Chantrys_*

Posted 15 September 2003 - 08:36 PM

Good begining. Cant wait for more :)

Thanks, Dark-Mage! I'm glad you enjoyed it (and hopefully I can keep it up)! :wink:

#12 Weyoun

Posted 15 September 2003 - 11:44 PM

Ah, what the heck. I might as well add to the growing pile of stories on this board. :shock:

Ah, we always welcome a new story!

Lol! Errrm, nasty mental image there. :wink:

Thunder cracked like a whip across my eardrums, and I grimaced. Another beautiful evening in the City of Coin. So many coins, and so many hands ready to take them. It was a town where thieves ruled the night and merchants could really make a killing. The perfect place for a guy like me.

Ah, a character of the thief-pursuasion. :cry:

I saw her feet first, neatly encased in tiny black slippers with blue dragons embroidered on the toes. Wealthy dame, wearing the finest Athkatla had to offer. My eyes traveled up the sapphire silk skirts, the jewel-encrusted bodice, the sleek mink stole partially covered by a thick rain-spotted cloak. She put back her hood, revealing long golden fairy-princess curls and eyes as blue as the summer sky. Snick stared, his jaw hanging open, looking as if he’d just seen a goddess. He wasn’t far off.

Lovely decription! :?:

Ah, an accomplice in crime! :)

“Hello, Sis,” I said, motioning to Snick for another double whiskey on the rocks. “What brings you to this wretched dump?”

She flashed me that winsome little-girl smile. “Can’t a girl come by to say hello to her big brother?”

“No.” I turned back to my drink. “Looking good, Sis. I haven’t seen you since the wedding. What’s it been, five years?”

Uuugggg, poor girl. :)

“I’ve been busy.”

“So I heard. Business must be good, too good to speak to your relatives.”

She glanced at the door. “I don’t have time for this. I need to talk to you, Sarevok. And Imoen, too, if she’s around.”

LOL! So it's Sarry? Mission Imposible Sarry, perhaps? :)

Someone two tables away dropped a glass on the dusty floor, and Mirielle flinched. I’d never seen her flinch before, and we’d been through a lot worse than broken glass. I quit messing with her and began to pay attention. “Who?”

Ah, great story! Can't wait for more.

---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#13 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 16 September 2003 - 05:08 AM

Actually, I haven't. Did I just inadvertently recreate a scene from the movie or something?

The title! Brad pit plays the role of the death in the movie, and he's on a vacation on earth.

At some point someone tells him that the only certain things in life is death and taxes. Upon hearing this he makes a puzzeld expression and replies: Death and and taxes????????

#14 Guest_Chantrys_*

Posted 16 September 2003 - 01:56 PM

Lol! Errrm, nasty mental image there. :twisted:

I do my best. :twisted:

Ah, a character of the thief-pursuasion. :twisted:

Well...er...no...not as such...keep trying... :wink:

Lovely decription! ;)

:shock: Thanks!

Ah, an accomplice in crime! :)

Everyone's an accomplice in Faerun Noir!

LOL! So it's Sarry? Mission Imposible Sarry, perhaps? :)

I wonder how he'd react to receiving a self-destructing message...

Ah, great story! Can't wait for more.

Thanks! Hopefully the next chapter will be up later this week.

#15 Guest_Chantrys_*

Posted 16 September 2003 - 01:58 PM

The title! Brad pit plays the role of the death in the movie, and he's on a vacation on earth.

At some point someone tells him that the only certain things in life is death and taxes. Upon hearing this he makes a puzzeld expression and replies: Death and and taxes????????

Whew! I'm glad to know I wasn't accidentally biting someone else's work. :twisted:

That quote is also the inspiration for this story's title. It comes up in a later chapter.

#16 Guest_Dark-Mage_*

Posted 16 September 2003 - 03:22 PM

Good begining. Cant wait for more :)

Thanks, Dark-Mage! I'm glad you enjoyed it (and hopefully I can keep it up)! :twisted:

I'm sure you can :shock:

#17 Guest_Withiel_*

Posted 17 September 2003 - 07:20 PM

Interesting...and a pastiche is always welcome - Sarevok would look rather great in a fedora. Your analysis and interpretation of the genre is impeccable, and definitely raised a smile or two. An auspicious start-impatiently awaiting the next part.

~Withiel

#18 Guest_Chantrys_*

Posted 18 September 2003 - 02:26 AM

Interesting...and a pastiche is always welcome - Sarevok would look rather great in a fedora. Your analysis and interpretation of the genre is impeccable, and definitely raised a smile or two. An auspicious start-impatiently awaiting the next part.

Thanks, Withiel! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com