Photo

Adrian Shadows of Amn 56

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Arcalian

Posted 10 September 2003 - 02:26 AM

Three steps down into the fallen temple, and the temperature dropped another twenty degrees. Everyone winced, and Viconia cursed in Drow. She remembered the trip to Vaasa all too well.

The corridor was cold and the darkness filled it. But it was not silent; the wail of more shadow wolves could be heard, and their was an echoey sound of wind in a tunnel, though they could feel no breath of air on their faces.

They opened a door and were beset by skeletons that, by their prowess at arms, identified themselves as skeletal warriors. This brutal pair were backed up by a trio of shade wolves. Anomen seemed to have grown in power; the shade wolves were destroyed by his Turning. But the skels pressed on, and Adrian and Korgan were hard beset by them, until Viconia and Anomen weighed in on the fray.

"The darkness powers them." Anomen was almost a formless voice in the darkness. "It makes them stronger than they might otherwise be."

"Brilliant," Edwin sneered, sounding almost like his old self. "An unholy temple will naturally strengthen it's followers. However did the 'All Seeing' Eye of Helm ever miss that?"

"Edwin," Adrian asked in a deceptively mild voice, "Shall I let Anomen knock your teeth out for you?"

"Er...no."

"Then shut up."

Edwin's muttering faded off into silence.

"Wait," Anomen turned, and indeed Adrian could see a faint pulse that looked not unlike weak winter sunlight, gleaming through the darkness.

"What is that?" Jan's voice held no cunning humor, only wonder.

"Something not of the Darkness' designs," Anomen's voice was unusally thoughful and musing. He crossed over to the pulsing light and opened a small coffin, revealing the glowing skeleton of a child.

"I think, Adrian," said Anomen in a soft voice, "That your thought about this being a good temple subverted. This is clearly a messiah or prophetess of whatever good god once ruled here.

"Slain by the dark forces?" Tree's soft voice asked.

"Possibly. I hate to disturb it, but...." Anomen trailed off with an unspoken question.

"I hold no real truck with the concept of so called 'good', Anomen, no offence. But if there is a power here in opposition to the, shall we say current administration, I've no objection to using whatever advantages we can have." Adrian shrugged in the darkness. While he never really examined his own motives that closely in philosophical terms, but he had no patience for the concept of good. Candlekeep had taught him that the closest thing to good in this miserable world was loyalty to those who treated you well--in his case, Gorion and Imoen. Anything beyond that was nothing more than rationalization, and a desire to be able to sleep at night without being stabbed in the back.

Anomen did not argue the point; he simply gathered up the child's bones and put them in his backpack. The area around the party brightened a little, improving everyone's mood.

More shadows waited them in the next room, including a stronger one that seemed to be wearing leather armor, that mumbled something about a "consort. The fight was not long, but a gash in Tree's leg made her feel weak.

On the corpse of the speaking shadow, Jan found a key. It opened a door in the darkness, and Jan was much surprised when a halfling in chainmail fell into his arms.

"Fentan," said Anomen and Korgan together.

The halfing's normally florid face was pale and drawn, making the red curls of her hair seem alien and strange. Her eyes opened, and she regarded them with fear and exhaustion.

"In Arvoreen's name, I tell thee; this place is Death."
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#2 Guest_bobby23_*

Posted 10 September 2003 - 06:36 PM

this place is death?

well that grin and not realy a nice thing too say when somebody just opened the door for you

still think its kinda a wonder how ano and adrian can work with one and other with out one basing the head in of the other?

anyway good too see edwin on the mend always liked his commentary aldo i think he is a little to stuck up for me too take with me and travel with

keep it up

#3 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 11 September 2003 - 12:57 AM

"Edwin," Adrian asked in a deceptively mild voice, "Shall I let Anomen knock your teeth out for you?"

"Er...no."

"Then shut up."

Jarran: I must say, I admire the, ah, straightforward way you keep your party in line. Luckily I have little trouble with mine.

The halfing's normally florid face was pale and drawn, making the red curls of her hair seem alien and strange. Her eyes opened, and she regarded them with fear and exhaustion.

Ooooooh, nice line.

Good chapter, as usual!

#4 Arcalian

Posted 11 September 2003 - 02:49 AM

Jarran: I must say, I admire the, ah, straightforward way you keep your party in line. Luckily I have little trouble with mine.

Adrian: *looks astonished* Little trouble, brother? Romancing Jaheira, Anomen and Mazzy, and oh yes the magic-hating Valygar is dating our little sister, and you say little trouble? I am wondering what you would find to be big trouble! But I thank you nonetheless.

Ooooooh, nice line.

*bows*
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#5 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 11 September 2003 - 08:48 AM

"I hold no real truck with the concept of so called 'good', Anomen, no offence. But if there is a power here in opposition to the, shall we say current administration, I've no objection to using whatever advantages we can have." Adrian shrugged in the darkness. While he never really examined his own motives that closely in philosophical terms, but he had no patience for the concept of good. Candlekeep had taught him that the closest thing to good in this miserable world was loyalty to those who treated you well--in his case, Gorion and Imoen. Anything beyond that was nothing more than rationalization, and a desire to be able to sleep at night without being stabbed in the back.

Interesting thoughts... I feel like I should have something to say, but I don't. I suppose I can't really say someone 'should' be good, as that's circular reasoning already.

Nice chapter ending! Very epic!

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 11 September 2003 - 11:51 AM

Adrian: *looks astonished* Little trouble, brother? Romancing Jaheira, Anomen and Mazzy, and oh yes the magic-hating Valygar is dating our little sister, and you say little trouble? I am wondering what you would find to be big trouble! But I thank you nonetheless.

Jarran: I don't mind romance. The others can chase each other around as much as they like (though they had better treat Imoen well) as long as they aren't trying to kill each other.

#7 Laufey

Posted 12 September 2003 - 11:15 AM

"Brilliant," Edwin sneered, sounding almost like his old self. "An unholy temple will naturally strengthen it's followers. However did the 'All Seeing' Eye of Helm ever miss that?"

"Er...no."

"Then shut up."

Edwin's muttering faded off into silence.

Eddie and his big mouth again. :)

That's very cold...but it is certainly consistent with Adrian's character.

On the corpse of the speaking shadow, Jan found a key. It opened a door in the darkness, and Jan was much surprised when a halfling in chainmail fell into his arms.

Talk about dramatic entrance! :)
Rogues do it from behind.

#8 Weyoun

Posted 13 September 2003 - 10:41 PM

"The darkness powers them." Anomen was almost a formless voice in the darkness. "It makes them stronger than they might otherwise be."

Great... Any more tricks up the sleeve? :lol:

LOL! The new Employee loyalty song? ;)

And she be right...

Great stuff,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#9 Arcalian

Posted 14 September 2003 - 12:18 AM

Interesting thoughts... I feel like I should have something to say, but I don't. I suppose I can't really say someone 'should' be good, as that's circular reasoning already.

This is Adrian's reasoning, not my own. Be assured, I have a more optimistic view than this.

#10 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 14 September 2003 - 12:47 AM

This is Adrian's reasoning, not my own. Be assured, I have a more optimistic view than this.

Oh, I know. I've read Blue Wizard, after all :lol:

Maybe I've misled myself, but one thing I always did like about Adrian was he seemed to be an evil-type who understood the good path and just chose not to follow it, and did much less than many an evil/Evil protaganist (within the Attic community, and without) to morally equivocate and use creative word redefinitions to 'justify' their behavior.

One irony, of course, is that there is a philosophiy of principled selfishness which could be conceivably be labeled as evil under the DnD grid (though I think I know your labeling, and my inclination is there too) and yet most of the aforementioned evil-as-good protaganists are quite far from such a stance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com