"If you are of sufficient strength..."

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 09 September 2003 - 07:15 PM

This is a minor issue, but it's weird. Or seems so to me at any rate.

I have only tried bashing things open a few times, which have given me the impression that it tends to fail anyway. I never really thought about it, but with Jaheira's cage in the beginning, I started to wonder about it. She says that if I am of sufficient strength, it is possible it may be broken. This being at the beginning of the game, I would have assumed it's a fairly simple affair. However, when I actually tried, apparently I couldn't achieve this with multiple attempts even when I arranged to have Strength of at least 22, might have been 24. What's the deal with that? Am I missing something?

#2 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 10 September 2003 - 07:44 AM

I think (not sure mind) that it's the same sort of deal as with picking locks, where if you fail the first time you will automatically fail on repeat attempts. So probably when trying to get into Jaheira's cage you failed the first attempt and after that the other multiple attempts were doomed to failure.

Bashing locks open is certainly possible, but the success rate is much lower than for a decent thief trying to pick the lock. It's a pretty useless ability really, because every party will have a thief in it anyway.

#3 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 10 September 2003 - 10:24 AM

I think (not sure mind) that it's the same sort of deal as with picking locks, where if you fail the first time you will automatically fail on repeat attempts.

I suspected that. It's just that I've always failed to do it with that cage, even in totally different games, and almost every time I've had Str at least 17.

#4 Guest_Dark-Mage_*

Posted 11 September 2003 - 07:43 AM

I think (not sure mind) that it's the same sort of deal as with picking locks, where if you fail the first time you will automatically fail on repeat attempts.

I suspected that. It's just that I've always failed to do it with that cage, even in totally different games, and almost every time I've had Str at least 17.

It might require a str total somewhere in the 20s, possible even 25. Or maybe it was just added to add abit of realisum but it isn't actually possible to force the lock open.

#5 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:03 PM

I've never managed to force that door either. Then again, the key is really close, so it isn't necessary. It's not like there was no other way. I didn't even try to force the door until my second play-through. Now I just don't bother.

#6 Guest_Viconia_*

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:01 AM

hmm... I've never actually considered "bashing" a lock open before, since the rate of success is so low, and of course, the key is nearby. But, you definitely have to have a very high strength to attempt it, 18 strength only give you a 20% chance of opening the lock, so technically, if you keep at it, the lock should eventually break. The only other reason could be that 'that' particular lock cannot be broken because it is tied directly to the plot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com