About Blood 16

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 05 September 2003 - 09:08 AM

shorter then usual. Was originally only half tyhe chapter, but it ended up so long I cut it in two. At least I have something written in advance now.

Imoen’s guard was peaceful, so that Imoen quickly got bored and was pretty happy when Jaheira awoke shortly after the sun had reached it’s highest point and declared that the time to sleep was over. After a short time the party was on its legs and on the way to Nashkel. As they walked over the hills Montaron started keeping up with Imoen.

“Hey, girl.”

“Yes Montaron?”

“Just thought I’d come to clear some things up. I’m taking a bet that ye’re the one that had the boy come after me.”

Imoen avoided his eyes and kept her own eye son the road. “I told him I didn’t trust you, and that you didn’t tell us about those people with the gems.”

Montaron stopped trying to find her eyes and looked straight ahead. “I didn’t do that just for the gold ye know.”

“I know what you were trying to do, Montaron.” Imoen said firmly. “I may only know the world from books and Gorion and Puffguts’ stories, but I’m not buffleheaded. I know the talk of an...” she sighed. “an evil person when I hear it.”

“Evil person?” Montaron gave a small chuckle. “I thought only paladins used that as an insult.”

“Not saying that you’re a Balor in disguise. I’m sure you’ve got a good side, and maybe you’ve got your reasons for being like you are and all but...” she hesitated. “I don’t wanna live like you do. I’ve already gone too far last night. And I can’t help but seeing the faces of those three poor sods every time I look at you.”

“So, you wanna be ‘nice’?”

“Yes.” Imoen answered. “Because I rather die cold, hungry and alone then live like you.”

Montaron shrugged. There was a silence before he spoke again. “Say, I ain’t complaining, but I kind of expected something else to follow.”

“What?”

“‘stay away from Talek’ or something like that. Not afraid that this ‘eeeevil person’ is gonna be a bad influence?”

Imoen was quiet for a while. “Talek...” She bit her lip. “Talek trusts you, and I’ve never been able to change whom he trusts. And I tried. If I had known what I do know when I met you...” She shook her head and turned her head towards Montaron and stared him in the eyes. “Don’t break Talek’s trust. It’d be... dangerous. For Talek but for you too.”

Montaron’s eyes widened in genuine surprise. “Are YOU threatening me?”

The girl shook her head. “No, though I guess if you would do that I’d be angry at you, and Jaheira would probably come after you. Talek is really naive. He’ll trust anyone that’ll be friendly to him. Not that he’s met a lot of people who are. But trust is really important to him. And you know that he has a short temper. I don’t like it that he trusts you, but I can’t change that. So for his sake and yours, don’t break that trust.” Without a further word Imoen quickened her pace and left the halfling behind.

Hours later, the western sky was starting to glow red already, the mining town of Nashkel appeared at the horizon. It was built near the hills that contained the iron to which Nashkel owned it’s existence. A few fields were scattered here and there. The rocky terrain yielding not nearly enough food for it’s population of miners.

Khalid had been telling of his previous adventures to Talek, downplaying his own role and ignoring Talek’s requests for more detailed descriptions of combat. Jaheira was walking behind them and now and then commented dryly on Khalid’s description. Suddenly Khalid seemed to remember something.

“S...say Talek. Remember last night. When we discussed your p...problem?”

Talek’s face became serious, though not hostile. “About me being nuts?”

“Not nuts!” Khalid explained. “About you perhaps having s...some mental illness.” He looked behind him. “T...there’s a cleric in this town, and I’ve heard that he’s p...pretty good in dealing with issues like that. A cleric of Ilmater back in Athkhatla spoke highly of him. He told me the cleric had acquired quite the name as a healer before he left for the north because of health reasons. P...perhaps he could help you. Or at least he could find the problem.”

Talek frowned. “I don’t know. I’m not sure if I like clerics. Can’t Jaheira do that?”

Kahlid shook his head. “Druids can’t do that. Their powers focus on other matters.” He added quickly. Jaheira mumbled something about some gods and their clerics see the Prime as their personal property and disrupt the balance but didn’t press the issue.

“So... this cleric. What god does he serve anyway?” Talek asked.

Khalid coughed nevously. “Well... euh... That is..” He bowed his head in resignation. “Helm.”

Talek made a disgusted face. “A Helmite? Well forget it then! Between the Gatewarden and that cripple paladin I think I’ve had enough of that for a lifetime.”

“B...but I’ve heard he’s a kind man. The priest of Ilmater said that he would often assist the priests at their temple in his free time when it was too busy. He’s a man of strict rules, but he always says that the duty Helm has given him was to aid others. And that that duty superseded any other mortal duties. I’m s...sure he’ll be willing to help you.”

Talek chewed on his lips for a while. Imoen, who was walking in front of them, met his eyes and gave an encouraging smile. “Ahhh.... What the hell... I’ll give it a shot.”

Khalid smiled. “I’m glad to hear it. Would you like us to go with you?”

Talek shrugged. “Nah, just me and Imoen will be fine.”

“Hm, if you don’t mind, we will go speak to the mayor then. He is expecting us.” Jaheira said. “But let’s get some rooms first. “ As she spoke they crossed the bridge that marked the border of the town. The first building they came across was the inn. After waiting for Montaron and Xzar, who had stayed behind because Xzar had been convinced that the trees were looking funny at him and had attacked them with his dagger, the party entered the inn.

As soon as Talek entered, a young woman suddenly rose from her chair and smiled. When she saw the five persons following him the smile died on her lips and she sat down again, sipping her wine while keeping a discrete eyes on the group. Jaheira ordered three rooms. While Imoen was washing up and changing out of her blood-soaked clothes, Talek hung around in the hall when Montaron and Xzar were leaving their room.

Montaron spoke to Talek. “So, I heard ye’re gonna go through with the red-haired fool’s idea?”

Talek frowned in confusion for a moment. “Oh... that. Yep. And I thought I was the fool.”

“Plenty of fools here. Anyway, this piece of advice, it’s a shop like any other. And shops always try to cheat ye, so keep yer hand on yer goldpurse.”

“Oh well, Imoen is the one that keeps the gold we have.” Talek mentioned.

“That sounds like a good idea. Unless the cleric invents an orphans fund. Ah well... don’t get yerself killed.”

“What’s going on? What’s happening? Why doesn’t anyone ever tell ME anything?” Xzar sounded agitated.

Talek answered. “I’m gonna go on a check up at a Helmite temple to see if there’s something wrong with me.”

“Y...you... to a Helmite temple... for investigation?” The necromancer stared at Talek for a few seconds, then started a chuckle that slowly degraded into mad laughter, all the while keeping his eyes on Talek. Imoen opened the door of her room and wore her alternative black tunic.

She looked at Xzar. “Why is he laughing?”

Talek shrugged. Montaron rolled his eyes. “If ye’re gonna keep trying to make sense of what he does, ye’ll end up just as nuts as he is.” He kicked the mage in the shin. “Hey, wizard. We’ve got someone to talk to. Get going” Xzar gave another chuckle and left. At the same time Jaheira and Khalid left their room, so that the three groups left the inn at the same time. The woman in the common room softly cursed as she saw them leaving together. After they left she quickly ran upstairs and scribbled some words on a piece of parchment, took a pigeon from a basket she had in her room and released it with the message. The pigeon quickly headed north.

Talek and Imoen quickly separated from the others. The two other pairs looked at each other suspiciously as they continued to follow the same path. When they reached the house of the mayor both Jaheira and Montaron gave each other a sharp look, then kept on walking, while both Xzar and Khalid stopped for a moment in confusion. At the next crossroads both groups took a different route, but walked around the back to get back at the mayor’s house. At exactly the same time.

“What are ye followin’ us around for, druid? Scared the necromancer is gonna do something unnatural?” Montaron scowled.

“I was about to ask you the same thing, halfling. I find it hard to believe YOU would have an appointment with the mayor of this town.” Jaheira answered. She glared down at the halfling.

“Thing is, druid. We do. I suppose ye’ve got one too.” Montaron was grinning a very unpleasant grin. There was a long silence. Then the door suddenly opened and an elderly, but still strong looking man beamed at the gathering of four before him.

“Don’t tarry outside people. Come in, come in. I’ve been waiting for weeks now.” He greeted Khalid, “you must be Khalid, and you must be Jaheira.” he turned to the druid. Then he looked at Xzar. “And you must be Gorion, though you look quite young for your age. But I didn’t think Talek was a halfling? Has there been some kind of misunderstanding? No offense, sir.”

Montaron’s smile had grown slightly wider, and a lot more vicious. “None taken. Especially since I’m NOT Talek. My name’s Montaron, and he’s Xzar, the necromancer. You do remember expecting US don’t you?”

The mayor suddenly became pale. “Y...you’re...together... I didn’t... I didn’t expect a.... euh...to travel together with a... euhm...” He looked from Jaheira to Montaron.

“I don’t think you want to finish that sentence.” Jaheira’s voice could cut crystal.

“Surpriiiiise!” Xzar exclaimed loudly.

“Why don’t we go inside and talk more privately?” Montaron’s voice was as reassuring as a blade at the throat, and his smile fitted in perfectly.

Seconds later the mayor was sitting uncomfortable in his chair, with Jaheira and Montaron both sitting across of him, fixing him with stares and wordlessly pulling an explanation out of him. Khalid was standing near the door and looked like he really wanted to use it. Xzar was inspecting and talking to different objects and documents spread across the mayor’s study. He was ignored.

“Y...you understand... The times are dangerous and well... letters can get lost and... euh.... agents... can die on the road. And I thought... if you have lots of connection... use them. All for the sake of the village and the iron trade of course. And averting a fight between Baldur’s Gate and Amn. Nobody wants fighting, right? And if I had waited for one group to die before asking another, the people of my village would suffer, so I just well... called anyone for help that I could.” His face was covered with sweat. Montaron and Jaheira were still staring at him.

“Euh... enough pleasantries I assume?” The mayor made a brave attempt at a chuckle, but it came out as a whimper. “Why don’t I tell you what’s happening in the mines? You all want to see the mines cleared don’t you?” Two small nods.

Stuttering and sweating the mayor explained the situation. Rotten iron ore. Disappearing miners. Talk of devils in the mine, but probably kobolds.

“R...Regarding the reward well euh... will you be travelling together? In that case I’m sure we can come to an arrangement. Nine hundred gold pieces is quite a sum after all.” He mentioned the gold as if expecting the mood to improve, but didn’t meet much success. The halfling and the half-elf kept their eyes firmly locked on the mayor, as if trying to drag some more info out while warning him against saying too much at the same time.

“MONTY, LOOK!” The voice of the necromancer interrupted the tension as he threw an armful of parchment in the air, letting it fall down all over the mayor’s desk. Montaron didn’t take his eyes of the mayor. Neither did Jaheira.

“Wizard. Take those scrolls and put them where you found them or I’ll shoot a bolt between your ribs.”

“But Monty... it’s important.”

Montaron didn’t answer but, still keeping his eyes on Ghastkill, started loading his crossbow.

“Hmpf... well if you wanna be like that.” Xzar pouted. “Then I’m just not gonna tell you all the things I know.” He gathered the parchments and put them on the table again, then spoke in a haughty voice. “I have been grievously vexed and shall now withdraw myself. If anyone wants me, I’ll be in my trailer.” With those words he left and slammed the door behind him. Khalid stared at it with slightly envious eyes.

The interruption had allowed the mayor to gather the courage to speak again however. “I... really have nothing to say anymore though. M...maybe you should visit the carnival. I’ll... I’ll announce the inn to prepare you a special meal for your adventure tomorrow. So...if there’s...nothing...else?” The words that were meant to be spoken confidently almost died on his lips.

The man’s two tormentors got up at the same time almost as if choreographed, which was amazing considering their height differences.

“If anything comes to mind mayor, we will be at the inn for the rest of the day. So if ANYTHING comes to mind.”

“Y..yes, I see. thank you.” The mayor didn’t seem too thankful.

“I’ll be around checking yer carnival to sell some stuff. But don’t worry. I’ll find ye if I have some more questions.” Montaron added.

“A...ah... I see. W...Well, I am at your service of course.” The mayor grew pale again. A few seconds later he was alone and reached for a small bottle out of which he poured a strong smelling liquid in a glass, then downed it in one gulp. He looked at the stack of parchments the necromancer had piled on his desk. With a slightly irritated expression he took the top two scrolls. He suddenly grew whiter then he had been during the entire conversation and dropped his glass. The two scrolls placed neatly at the top of the pile were the ones linked to his current problem. One of them clearly displayed a black Z, while the other had a beautifully made mark of a harp on it.

“T...T...Tymora protect me!” The mayor grabbed the bottle with shaking hands and quickly put it to his mouth.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 05 September 2003 - 01:57 PM

“I know what you were trying to do, Montaron.” Imoen said firmly. “I may only know the world from books and Gorion and Puffguts’ stories, but I’m not buffleheaded. I know the talk of an...” she sighed. “an evil person when I hear it.”

Yeah... Immy might be really unexperienced, but she's not stupid and I think she's a girl who's really quick on the uptake.

“Yes.” Imoen answered. “Because I rather die cold, hungry and alone then live like you.”

Heh, that's very noble... but I am pretty sure she can find some middleground between those two extremes... :twisted:

The girl shook her head. “No, though I guess if you would do that I’d be angry at you, and Jaheira would probably come after you. Talek is really naive. He’ll trust anyone that’ll be friendly to him. Not that he’s met a lot of people who are. But trust is really important to him. And you know that he has a short temper. I don’t like it that he trusts you, but I can’t change that. So for his sake and yours, don’t break that trust.” Without a further word Imoen quickened her pace and left the halfling behind.

Hmm, I suppose Monty could be sneaky enough and still get to be his own Eeeevil self without breaking Talek's trust.

Though, the situation is now Harpers 3 - Zhents 2, what's with Imoen's little attraction to Khalid and her distrust towards Monty.

Khalid had been telling of his previous adventures to Talek, downplaying his own role and ignoring Talek’s requests for more detailed descriptions of combat. Jaheira was walking behind them and now and then commented dryly on Khalid’s description. Suddenly Khalid seemed to remember something.

Theo: Say Talek, did Khalid ever told you the story about Jaheira, beating a beholder in a glaring contest? :twisted: :twisted:

Kahlid shook his head. “Druids can’t do that. Their powers focus on other matters.” He added quickly. Jaheira mumbled something about some gods and their clerics see the Prime as their personal property and disrupt the balance but didn’t press the issue.

:twisted: I am thoroughly shocked that there is something that Jaheira can't do. She is obviously flawless... and my view is most certainly not biased.

Talek made a disgusted face. “A Helmite? Well forget it then! Between the Gatewarden and that cripple paladin I think I’ve had enough of that for a lifetime.”

Hmmm... if Talek ever meets Ano... lol, I bet sparks will fly! :wink:

Uhuh - I'm surprised that Jaheira and Khalid let him out of their sight after THAT night...

As soon as Talek entered, a young woman suddenly rose from her chair and smiled. When she saw the five persons following him the smile died on her lips and she sat down again, sipping her wine while keeping a discrete eyes on the group. Jaheira ordered three rooms. While Imoen was washing up and changing out of her blood-soaked clothes, Talek hung around in the hall when Montaron and Xzar were leaving their room.

Heh, did we just saw an assassin that is not extremely dumb?

“Y...you... to a Helmite temple... for investigation?” The necromancer stared at Talek for a few seconds, then started a chuckle that slowly degraded into mad laughter, all the while keeping his eyes on Talek. Imoen opened the door of her room and wore her alternative black tunic.

Er... somehow that last sentence doesn't sound right... perhaps - "Imoen opened the door of her room, shewore her alternative black tunic." :twisted:

“What are ye followin’ us around for, druid? Scared the necromancer is gonna do something unnatural?” Montaron scowled.

“I was about to ask you the same thing, halfling. I find it hard to believe YOU would have an appointment with the mayor of this town.” Jaheira answered. She glared down at the halfling.

If it wasn't so serious and dangerous, I would find their acting rather comical...

“Don’t tarry outside people. Come in, come in. I’ve been waiting for weeks now.” He greeted Khalid, “you must be Khalid, and you must be Jaheira.” he turned to the druid. Then he looked at Xzar. “And you must be Gorion, though you look quite young for your age. But I didn’t think Talek was a halfling? Has there been some kind of misunderstanding? No offense, sir.”

LOL! Mistaking Xzar for Gorion is a very big slight to our poor foster pa!

“Y...you understand... The times are dangerous and well... letters can get lost and... euh.... agents... can die on the road. And I thought... if you have lots of connection... use them. All for the sake of the village and the iron trade of course. And averting a fight between Baldur’s Gate and Amn. Nobody wants fighting, right? And if I had waited for one group to die before asking another, the people of my village would suffer, so I just well... called anyone for help that I could.” His face was covered with sweat. Montaron and Jaheira were still staring at him.

Only a frikkin' idiot would ask Zhents for help, though. They never help anyone but themselves.

“Hmpf... well if you wanna be like that.” Xzar pouted. “Then I’m just not gonna tell you all the things I know.” He gathered the parchments and put them on the table again, then spoke in a haughty voice. “I have been grievously vexed and shall now withdraw myself. If anyone wants me, I’ll be in my trailer.” With those words he left and slammed the door behind him. Khalid stared at it with slightly envious eyes.

Hehe... he will be in his... trailer??? :twisted: :twisted:

“A...ah... I see. W...Well, I am at your service of course.” The mayor grew pale again. A few seconds later he was alone and reached for a small bottle out of which he poured a strong smelling liquid in a glass, then downed it in one gulp. He looked at the stack of parchments the necromancer had piled on his desk. With a slightly irritated expression he took the top two scrolls. He suddenly grew whiter then he had been during the entire conversation and dropped his glass. The two scrolls placed neatly at the top of the pile were the ones linked to his current problem. One of them clearly displayed a black Z, while the other had a beautifully made mark of a harp on it.

Poor guy, that was quite a torture he was put through... and I am sure that our Harpers and Zhents know well enough just whom they are facing, by now.

#3 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:43 PM

Not much Monty can say to that, really...

“‘stay away from Talek’ or something like that. Not afraid that this ‘eeeevil person’ is gonna be a bad influence?”

Well probably yes, but talek needs all the friends he can get right now.

Give the guy a chance, Talek.

“B...but I’ve heard he’s a kind man. The priest of Ilmater said that he would often assist the priests at their temple in his free time when it was too busy. He’s a man of strict rules, but he always says that the duty Helm has given him was to aid others. And that that duty superseded any other mortal duties. I’m s...sure he’ll be willing to help you.”

:twisted: If he can, anyway.

maybe the priest could take a look at Xzar while he's at it...

Talek and Imoen quickly separated from the others. The two other pairs looked at each other suspiciously as they continued to follow the same path. When they reached the house of the mayor both Jaheira and Montaron gave each other a sharp look, then kept on walking, while both Xzar and Khalid stopped for a moment in confusion. At the next crossroads both groups took a different route, but walked around the back to get back at the mayor’s house. At exactly the same time.

:wink: Think whatever suspicions they have about each other are going to be confirmed before long.

Poor guy - his explanation is perfectly reasonable, but little chance of convincing Jaheira or Monty of that...

LOL!

“If anything comes to mind mayor, we will be at the inn for the rest of the day. So if ANYTHING comes to mind.”

“I’ll be around checking yer carnival to sell some stuff. But don’t worry. I’ll find ye if I have some more questions.” Montaron added.

Think the mayor's better off avoiding all of them for the rest of the day.

Ooh dear. And whether Xzar tells or not, neither Jaheira nor Monty is stupid, so it's bound to all come out before long. Poor Talek - when he finds out about all these secrets that have been kept from him it isn't going to help his trust problem any.

#4 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 05 September 2003 - 05:45 PM

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

Yeah... Immy might be really unexperienced, but she's not stupid and I think she's a girl who's really quick on the uptake. [/quote]

Yep, after Montaron's profet filled night, even someone as innocent as Imoen know Monty is 'bad news.'

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Heh, that's very noble... but I am pretty sure she can find some middleground between those two extremes... :twisted: [/quote]

Yeah well, she didn't say she was yearning to sacrifice herself. Just that she would prefer THAT above Monty's... lifestyle.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Hmm, I suppose Monty could be sneaky enough and still get to be his own Eeeevil self without breaking Talek's trust.

Though, the situation is now Harpers 3 - Zhents 2, what's with Imoen's little attraction to Khalid and her distrust towards Monty. [/quote]

True, Khalid has quickly recovered from his 'liking killing = monster' faux pas.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Theo: Say Talek, did Khalid ever told you the story about Jaheira, beating a beholder in a glaring contest? :twisted: :twisted: [/quote]

Talek: Tell me? I met the bastard. Almost drowned. Do you know how much water a crying beholder produces? Lots.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

:twisted: I am thoroughly shocked that there is something that Jaheira can't do. She is obviously flawless... and my view is most certainly not biased. [/quote]

Well... oviously Jaheira wouldn't WANT to do something as unnatural as breaking into another person's mind, so it doesn't count.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Hmmm... if Talek ever meets Ano... lol, I bet sparks will fly! :wink: [/quote]

Oh yes... yes they would. Battle of people with barely repressed anger.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Uhuh - I'm surprised that Jaheira and Khalid let him out of their sight after THAT night... [/quote]

Well, it's the Realms equivalent of visiting a shrink, so I guess it IS kinda personal.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Heh, did we just saw an assassin that is not extremely dumb? [/quote]

Talek has to face semi-competent assassins. It's kinda like the Twilight Zone, only freakier.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Er... somehow that last sentence doesn't sound right... perhaps - "Imoen opened the door of her room, shewore her alternative black tunic." :twisted: [/quot]

yeah, I guess I shouldn't mix action and state verbs like that.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

If it wasn't so serious and dangerous, I would find their acting rather comical... [/quote]

Jaheira and Montaron have good chemistry I think. In the... explosive sense of the word. The BAD explosive sense.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

LOL! Mistaking Xzar for Gorion is a very big slight to our poor foster pa! [/quote]

Yep, Ghastkill can expect Gorion's ghost soon now.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Only a frikkin' idiot would ask Zhents for help, though. They never help anyone but themselves. [/quote]

Well, if they help you by helping themselves..

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Hehe... he will be in his... trailer??? :twisted: :twisted: [/quot]

Yeah, a small anachronism but I thought I could get away with it.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Poor guy, that was quite a torture he was put through... and I am sure that our Harpers and Zhents know well enough just whom they are facing, by now.[/quote]

Well, except Xzar they both know the other pair is part of an organisation. But it's not like there's a shortage of (evil or other) secretive organisations in the realms Of course they HAVE their suspicions. Xzar knows, but he's insulted, so he ain't telling Montaron.

#5 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 05 September 2003 - 07:11 PM

Not much Monty can say to that, really...

So he says nothing.

Well probably yes, but talek needs all the friends he can get right now.

That's Immy's reasoning. Beter a Talek slightly corrupted then a bitter, lonely Talek.

Give the guy a chance, Talek.

Talek: I've been giving Helmites chances my whole bloody life! Damn Gatewarden. but if Khalid and Immy think I should go.

:twisted: If he can, anyway.

if it was that simple....

maybe the priest could take a look at Xzar while he's at it...

Jaheira: There is nothing wrong with the necromancer what a swift blow to the throat won't cure!

:wink: Think whatever suspicions they have about each other are going to be confirmed before long.

Yep, Talek's little part won't hold for very long.

Poor guy - his explanation is perfectly reasonable, but little chance of convincing Jaheira or Monty of that...

Yep, Tymora REALLY gave hmi a 'disaster special'

LOL!

Insane necromancers, don't leave home without them.

Think the mayor's better off avoiding all of them for the rest of the day.

Yep, and if they ever find out just WHAT organisations they're all from, he might want to write his resignation letter and take the first ship to Icewind Dale.

Ooh dear. And whether Xzar tells or not, neither Jaheira nor Monty is stupid, so it's bound to all come out before long. Poor Talek - when he finds out about all these secrets that have been kept from him it isn't going to help his trust problem any.

Yep... Talek is definately in for an unpleasant future. And the dreams with the voices will start soon.

#6 Guest_Helseth_*

Posted 05 September 2003 - 11:46 PM

“Evil person?” Montaron gave a small chuckle. “I thought only paladins used that as an insult.”

“Not saying that you’re a Balor in disguise. I’m sure you’ve got a good side, and maybe you’ve got your reasons for being like you are and all but...” she hesitated. “I don’t wanna live like you do. I’ve already gone too far last night. And I can’t help but seeing the faces of those three poor sods every time I look at you.”

:twisted: I somehow expected more "local" complaints, not direct accusation of life philosophy. Of course, Immy can be quite perceptive...

Even better would be to avoid both options altogether :twisted:

“So... this cleric. What god does he serve anyway?” Talek asked.

Khalid coughed nevously. “Well... euh... That is..” He bowed his head in resignation. “Helm.”

:wink: Wait till you meet Ajantis, Talek. (Not to mention Ano...)

:twisted: Assassin with brains? A rare breed indeed...

Talek shrugged. Montaron rolled his eyes. “If ye’re gonna keep trying to make sense of what he does, ye’ll end up just as nuts as he is.” He kicked the mage in the shin. “Hey, wizard. We’ve got someone to talk to. Get going” Xzar gave another chuckle and left. At the same time Jaheira and Khalid left their room, so that the three groups left the inn at the same time. The woman in the common room softly cursed as she saw them leaving together. After they left she quickly ran upstairs and scribbled some words on a piece of parchment, took a pigeon from a basket she had in her room and released it with the message. The pigeon quickly headed north.

Uh-oh. Mailing pigeon = direct connection (somebody had to give her that pigeon!). And from the north... Don't look now, Talek, but THEY are close :twisted:

Oh. So your Ghastkill hadn't met Jaheira before. Well, his loss.

:twisted: Trailer?! LOL

:twisted: He asked for help the Zhents? And the Harpers? Honestly, some people :twisted: Zhentish cure probably would be much worse than the maladie, anyway. He's lucky Xzar went out to sulk.

As an aside, I always imagined that Zhentarim have sent their investigators because of rumours implicating them, not because of some request.

“T...T...Tymora protect me!” The mayor grabbed the bottle with shaking hands and quickly put it to his mouth.

Nice chapter. I had to make some mental adjustments - I always pictured Berrun Ghastkill as a retired adventurer, not an Oublek-like bumbling bureaucrat,- but that being done, I rather liked their little "discussion" with the mayor.

#7 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 05 September 2003 - 11:59 PM

[quote][quote]“I know what you were trying to do, Montaron.” Imoen said firmly. “I may only know the world from books and Gorion and Puffguts’ stories, but I’m not buffleheaded. I know the talk of an...” she sighed. “an evil person when I hear it.”

“Not saying that you’re a Balor in disguise. I’m sure you’ve got a good side, and maybe you’ve got your reasons for being like you are and all but...” she hesitated. “I don’t wanna live like you do. I’ve already gone too far last night. And I can’t help but seeing the faces of those three poor sods every time I look at you.”[/quote]

:twisted: I somehow expected more "local" complaints, not direct accusation of life philosophy. Of course, Immy can be quite perceptive... [/quote]

Yeah... and Montaron's problem isn't just the stuff that he pulled, but that he's actually encouraging the behavior.

[quote] [quote]“So, you wanna be ‘nice’?”

“Yes.” Imoen answered. “Because I rather die cold, hungry and alone then live like you.”[/quote]

Even better would be to avoid both options altogether :twisted: [/quote]

Well of course. But the point is, even if monty is right, she's still no willing to live as he does.

[quote] [quote]“So... this cleric. What god does he serve anyway?” Talek asked.

Talek made a disgusted face. “A Helmite? Well forget it then! Between the Gatewarden and that cripple paladin I think I’ve had enough of that for a lifetime.” [/quote]

:wink: Wait till you meet Ajantis, Talek. (Not to mention Ano...) [/quote]

Oh yeah... thatll be... fun.

[quote] [quote]As soon as Talek entered, a young woman suddenly rose from her chair and smiled. When she saw the five persons following him the smile died on her lips and she sat down again, sipping her wine while keeping a discrete eyes on the group. Jaheira ordered three rooms. While Imoen was washing up and changing out of her blood-soaked clothes, Talek hung around in the hall when Montaron and Xzar were leaving their room.[/quote]

:twisted: Assassin with brains? A rare breed indeed... [/quote]

Yep, and just against the Bhaalspawn who LACKS a high amount of that matter.

[quote] [quote] Talek shrugged. Montaron rolled his eyes. “If ye’re gonna keep trying to make sense of what he does, ye’ll end up just as nuts as he is.” He kicked the mage in the shin. “Hey, wizard. We’ve got someone to talk to. Get going” Xzar gave another chuckle and left. At the same time Jaheira and Khalid left their room, so that the three groups left the inn at the same time. The woman in the common room softly cursed as she saw them leaving together. After they left she quickly ran upstairs and scribbled some words on a piece of parchment, took a pigeon from a basket she had in her room and released it with the message. The pigeon quickly headed north.[/quote]

Uh-oh. Mailing pigeon = direct connection (somebody had to give her that pigeon!). And from the north... Don't look now, Talek, but THEY are close :twisted: [/quote]

Yep... always seemed a bit strange how the enemy seemed to know about your advances pretty fast, so I had the bad guys communicate some more.

[quote] [quote]“Don’t tarry outside people. Come in, come in. I’ve been waiting for weeks now.” He greeted Khalid, “you must be Khalid, and you must be Jaheira.” he turned to the druid. Then he looked at Xzar. “And you must be Gorion, though you look quite young for your age. But I didn’t think Talek was a halfling? Has there been some kind of misunderstanding? No offense, sir.” [/quote]

Oh. So your Ghastkill hadn't met Jaheira before. Well, his loss. [/quote]

Yeah, since I'm going with a less experienced jaheira. (though she could have met him on the way up north I guess)

[quote] [quote] “Hmpf... well if you wanna be like that.” Xzar pouted. “Then I’m just not gonna tell you all the things I know.” He gathered the parchments and put them on the table again, then spoke in a haughty voice. “I have been grievously vexed and shall now withdraw myself. If anyone wants me, I’ll be in my trailer.” With those words he left and slammed the door behind him. Khalid stared at it with slightly envious eyes. [/quote]

:twisted: Trailer?! LOL [/quote]

Heh, I dunno...just came up.

[quote] [quote] “A...ah... I see. W...Well, I am at your service of course.” The mayor grew pale again. A few seconds later he was alone and reached for a small bottle out of which he poured a strong smelling liquid in a glass, then downed it in one gulp. He looked at the stack of parchments the necromancer had piled on his desk. With a slightly irritated expression he took the top two scrolls. He suddenly grew whiter then he had been during the entire conversation and dropped his glass. The two scrolls placed neatly at the top of the pile were the ones linked to his current problem. One of them clearly displayed a black Z, while the other had a beautifully made mark of a harp on it.[/quote]

:twisted: He asked for help the Zhents? And the Harpers? Honestly, some people :twisted: Zhentish cure probably would be much worse than the maladie, anyway. He's lucky Xzar went out to sulk. [/quote]

Oh yes he IS.

[quote] As an aside, I always imagined that Zhentarim have sent their investigators because of rumours implicating them, not because of some request. [/quote]

Well yeah, that's the reason they're interested. But I seemed to remember that montaron mentions Ghastkill as well, and if you go down south WITH the Zhents and without the Harpers, Ghastkill recognises Xzar and Montaron.

[quote]“T...T...Tymora protect me!” The mayor grabbed the bottle with shaking hands and quickly put it to his mouth.[/quote]

Nice chapter. I had to make some mental adjustments - I always pictured Berrun Ghastkill as a retired adventurer, not an Oublek-like bumbling bureaucrat,- but that being done, I rather liked their little "discussion" with the mayor.[/quote]

True... I thought of that before, but forgot halfway it seems. Of course, even retired adventurers would be unsteady after getting 'looks' from both Jaheira AND Montaron.

#8 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 06 September 2003 - 03:25 PM

Imoen avoided his eyes and kept her own eye son the road. “I told him I didn’t trust you, and that you didn’t tell us about those people with the gems.”

Montaron stopped trying to find her eyes and looked straight ahead. “I didn’t do that just for the gold ye know.”

No, he probably did it for fun.

There is little other way to describe him

It's called morale.

Talek answered. “I’m gonna go on a check up at a Helmite temple to see if there’s something wrong with me.”

"If"??????????

Kill him!

#9 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 06 September 2003 - 04:29 PM

No, he probably did it for fun.

Nah, that'd be Talek if he didn't hold back. Montaron is prety practical.

There is little other way to describe him

Indeed there is.

It's called morale.

Montaron: it's called idiocy.

"If"??????????

Hey, leave him his illusuins.

Kill him!

Believe me, Jaheira WANTS to.

#10 Laufey

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:10 AM

An astute analysis on Immy's part, I think. If Montaron gets on Talek's bad side there won't be much left of him...

Talek chewed on his lips for a while. Imoen, who was walking in front of them, met his eyes and gave an encouraging smile. “Ahhh.... What the hell... I’ll give it a shot.”

Oh dear...this should prove interesting. :wink:

LOL!

Seconds later the mayor was sitting uncomfortable in his chair, with Jaheira and Montaron both sitting across of him, fixing him with stares and wordlessly pulling an explanation out of him. Khalid was standing near the door and looked like he really wanted to use it. Xzar was inspecting and talking to different objects and documents spread across the mayor’s study. He was ignored.

Very nice scene. :roll: I can really see the Mayor sweating...
Rogues do it from behind.

#11 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 09 September 2003 - 08:44 AM

An astute analysis on Immy's part, I think. If Montaron gets on Talek's bad side there won't be much left of him...

Aye. Talek is loyal to friends, but he expects the same in return.

Oh dear...this should prove interesting. :wink:

Oh yes... it WILL be.

LOL!

Heh, someone is digging his own grave.

Very nice scene. :roll: I can really see the Mayor sweating...

Thanks, it was fun to write.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com