Happily Ever After: Chapter 13

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_celestine_*

Posted 04 September 2003 - 01:30 PM

Chapter 13: Detect Evil

A taller elf with auburn hair and obsidian-colored eyes stepped out of the circle and approached Solaufein and Rivian. Rivian could tell he was the leader among the group of elves, as the other elves looked up to him with respect. He scrutinized the two elves from head to toe. Rivian and Solaufein shifted uncomfortably but both were experienced enough to remain calm.

"A drow and a gold elf... What are you doing with the drow? If you were kidnapped by our dark cousin, approached now. He will not be able to harm you with our protection," the elf leader spoke in a smooth, melodic voice.

"No, Solaufein is my friend. He is different from his kind. He follows the Drow Deity, Lady Elistraee Silverhair, not that foul spider queen Lolth," Rivian defended Solaufein.

"Lady Silverhair? We know of the drow deity. Then you did not come to attack us?"

"No, I have no intention of attacking elves." It was Solaufein's turn to answer the elf leader's question and he replied sincerely. The elf leader nodded, acknowledging that the two elves had helped turn the battle to their advantage and he did not doubt the sincerity in Solaufein's simple reply.

"Well met then. I am Kilnedil. We were ambushed by the evil guild who plotted to enslaved my kins. Thanks for the assistance," he said to Rivian in particular, directing his gratitude to Rivian. Elves were proud races and they would only show their gratitude to their own kinsman. Solaufein, unfortunately, falls out of the "kinsman" category. If it was meant as an insult to Solaufein, he did not take offence to the gesture.

"I'm Rivian, this is Solaufein." Rivian flashed another of her warm smiles, glad that she would not have to defend herself and Solaufein against another of her kinsman.

"If I may ask, what are you doing alone with the dark elf?" the question came out more bluntly than intended.

Rivian paused for a moment and her smile disappeared promptly. The question caught her in surprised. She had not anticipated that she would need to explain her choice of companion. She was actually offended by what the question implied.

"Solaufein is my friend and my traveling companion. And it happens that we have only each other as companions at this moment!" she retorted with a hint of sarcasm in her words.

"Your choice of companion is rather unusual." Kilnedil replied calmly and waved a hand at one of the elves behind him. The elf approached and started chanting something under his breath. Before Rivian or Solaufein could make out if the elf was casting a spell, a globe of white light dropped on them-a spell of Detect Evil.

"How dare you! How dare you judge me! We have done nothing to deserve that. How dare you!" Rivian was outraged. She waved her blade threatening and her hands tightened at the hilt of the weapon in rage. An ebony arm shooted out in front of her, halting her advance on the elf leader.

"Please, Rivian. Calm down," Solaufein's soothing voice took away some of the rage from the gold elf but she did not put her weapon away. He was used to others using spells to judge him. While his pride hurt from the distrust, he understood that it was a quicker means to determine his intentions than long explanations. He glanced at Rivian, his heart hurt that she had to suffer such judgement because of him. The pain in his heart deepened when he realised that Rivian would have to suffer many more such insults as long as she stayed with him. He could bear the pain himself but to see his loved one suffered was more than he could bear.

"It has to be done, gold one. We know well now that none of you is evil. Still you have an unusual choice of companion. I must admit, if you were one of my People, your choice would not be accepted," Kilnedil explained calmly. His black eyes glancing at Rivian.

"That's none of your business. I'm not one of your People. And I'm done with you. Get out of my way." Rivian slided her blade into her sheath and holding Solaufein's hand, she started walking out of the elves.

The elves moved to block their path but their leader dismissed them with a wave of his hand.

"Take care then, gold elf." Kilendil murmured loud enough for Rivian to hear him but she did not stop to look back.

================
Rivian marched solemnly besides Solaufein. Kilnedil's words still rang in her mind and she could still feel her anger at the Detect Evil spell. Never had anyone dare to use such a spell to judge her, not even the paladins in the Order! She winced at the thought of the Order, the image of her beloved husband came into her mind again. She imagined it shook his head and looked upon her with accusing eyes.

Did I bring it upon myself?

She immediately shook her head. She knew the answer to the question. She stole a glance at Solaufein. His gaze was on the ground and he had also marched in silence since the encounter. She realized that the encounter hurt the dark elf more than herself.

No. It was me that's hurting his heart.

She stopped in surprised at that thought. It came abruptly into her mind and she glanced at the quiet dark elf who had also stopped his march when she did. He gazed at her with his dark eyes, his thick white brows kneaded together in an expression of pain.

Oh Gods! That's right. It's me that's hurting his heart.

"Solaufein..." she whispered to herself and to her dismay, she found her thoughts in disarray. She knew she would have a lot to think through in the next few days.

#2 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 04 September 2003 - 02:46 PM

"Well met then. I am Kilnedil. We were ambushed by the evil guild who plotted to enslaved my kins. Thanks for the assistance," he said to Rivian in particular, directing his gratitude to Rivian. Elves were proud races and they would only show their gratitude to their own kinsman. Solaufein, unfortunately, falls out of the "kinsman" category. If it was meant as an insult to Solaufein, he did not take offence to the gesture.

Elves and drow elves simply don't go together.

She stopped in surprised at that thought. It came abruptly into her mind and she glanced at the quiet dark elf who had also stopped his march when she did. He gazed at her with his dark eyes, his thick white brows kneaded together in an expression of pain.

An unpleasant realisation

Hunter

#3 Guest_argan_*

Posted 04 September 2003 - 07:36 PM

Good chapter :)

#4 Weyoun

Posted 04 September 2003 - 11:00 PM

A taller elf with auburn hair and obsidian-colored eyes stepped out of the circle and approached Solaufein and Rivian. Rivian could tell he was the leader among the group of elves, as the other elves looked up to him with respect. He scrutinized the two elves from head to toe. Rivian and Solaufein shifted uncomfortably but both were experienced enough to remain calm.

Ah, elves! Elves are great! :lol:

"I'm Rivian, this is Solaufein." Rivian flashed another of her warm smiles, glad that she would not have to defend herself and Solaufein against another of her kinsman.

"If I may ask, what are you doing alone with the dark elf?" the question came out more bluntly than intended.

Use your imagination, man! :)

"It has to be done, gold one. We know well now that none of you is evil. Still you have an unusual choice of companion. I must admit, if you were one of my People, your choice would not be accepted," Kilnedil explained calmly. His black eyes glancing at Rivian.

"That's none of your business. I'm not one of your People. And I'm done with you. Get out of my way." Rivian slided her blade into her sheath and holding Solaufein's hand, she started walking out of the elves.

The elves moved to block their path but their leader dismissed them with a wave of his hand.

"Take care then, gold elf." Kilendil murmured loud enough for Rivian to hear him but she did not stop to look back.

Hmmm, not fun elves, these.

Laska : I'll say...

No. It was me that's hurting his heart.

*sniff*

"Solaufein..." she whispered to herself and to her dismay, she found her thoughts in disarray. She knew she would have a lot to think through in the next few days.

The story remainds sad. B)

Great stuff,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#5 Guest_celestine_*

Posted 05 September 2003 - 12:31 AM

thanks for the comments.

The story remainds sad.

quite true. I couldn't decide if Rivian deserves a happy ending, though Sola can certainly use one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com