Chapter Five: Memories and Conversations

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dark-Mage_*

Posted 23 August 2003 - 07:41 PM

Chapter Five: Memories and Conversations

The door creaked open slightly and Imoen peered into the empty room. “Leen, are you in here?” She asked, as she looked for any sign of her friend in the now empty room.

“Maybe she has already gone down to breakfast.” Imoen said to herself, before setting off towards the stairs that lead down to the main floor of the inn.

Jaheira and Khalid were seated at one of the tables on the ground floor of the Friendly Arm Inn. Bentley Mirrorshade, the innkeeper, was standing behind the bar, but apart from him there was no one else currently sat at any of the tables.

“There is something I…I need to ask you, dear.” Khalid stuttered as he spoke to his wife. Jaheira nodded to show that she was listening. “Well, didn’t Gorion say in his letters that he would be leaving the other in Candlekeep?” he asked uncertainly.

“Yes, he did, but then events didn’t proceed as planned,” Jaheira replied.

“So both Leen and Imoen are Bhaalspawn?”

“That is correct. There is also a third child of Bhaal who was in Gorion’s care. He was called Melfice.”

“Melfice, why isn’t he with Leen and Imoen then?”

Jaheira shook her head at this question. “I don’t know, my husband, I really don’t know, perhaps that is something we will have to ask Leen or Imoen.”

Jaheira turned to look at the stairs, as she heard the sound of someone coming down them. The sight of a young human female, who was wearing a black tunic and had bright pink hair, greeted her.

Jaheira watched as Imoen moved towards their table. “Where’s Leen?” they both asked at the same time.

“I thought she was still sleeping,” Jaheira said, looking at her husband.

“She isn’t. I checked her room but she wasn’t there, so I thought she must have come down here,” Imoen replied.

“Foolish child, wandering around unaccompanied. I guess we should go and find her.” Jaheira said, standing up.

“I don’t think you should.” Imoen argued.

Jaheira glared at her when she heard Imoen say those words. “Leen sometimes wanders off on her own when she needs time to think and stuff like that,” Imoen quickly said, blushing slightly under the older woman’s gaze.

“Does she now, that is interesting. What else can you tell us of Leen?” Khalid said, with his usual stutter as he made a hand gesture telling Jaheira to sit.

“Well, what would you like to know?” Imoen asked.

“Tell us of Leen’s childhood, tell us everything you know of her.” Jaheira said.

“We would also like to know about her twin brother Melfice.” Khalid added. “That is more important, dear, as we already know a great deal of Leen from the letters that Gorion sent us.”

“Well…where do I begin?” Imoen struggled.

“Why not from the beginning, start with your earliest memories of the two.” Jaheira said, in a surprisingly calm voice.

“Well, that would be when we was all young and myself, Leen and…and Melfice would all play together,” Imoen began. “All three of us, loved the stories that Gorion would tell us and it wasn’t long before Leen and Melfice became inspired by the stories and dreamed of becoming great heroes themselves.”

“Please continue,” Khalid prompted.

“Well, they both began training with swords. Leen favoured the bastard sword, and Melfice chose the two handed sword.”
“Shortly after they began training, they both showed great promise and potential. Melfice in particular, became the greatest swordsman the watchers of Candlekeep had ever seen.” “By this time, we was entering our early teens. I began to study to become a mage, but Leen and Melfice continued to train with their swords.” “A month or so later, however, they both separately decided that they would need other skills in order to become great heroes.” “Myself and Leen began honing our thieving abilities, and I…kind of neglected my magic studies a bit.”

Jaheira didn’t look too happy about this. “Carry on, child.”

Imoen nodded before she began to speak again. “Melfice, however, had slowly began to change. Where he was once kind, gentle and a loving brother and dear friend, he slowly started to become more hostile and aggressive. He began to study magic, claiming that he needed to be strong physically, but having magical abilities was also important.” “Melfice stopped spending time with us then, he was either training with his sword or practising his magic. Sometimes he would even convince some of the mages who came to Candlekeep to summon monsters, so that he could test his powers against a real opponent.”

“What did Gorion make of this? Surely he would allow such actions.” Khalid asked, a note of anger in his voice.

“Gorion didn’t know,” Imoen replied. Jaheira and Khalid shared a look, the same unreadable expression on their faces.

“Well, over the years leading up to our departure from Candlekeep, Melfice became more and more ummm…well, I guess you could call him evil, he also became more obsessed with his training.”

“Where is he now?” Jaheira asked.

“I don’t know and I don’t think Leen knows either.” Imoen replied.

They sat in silence for a moment, before Jaheira continued to question Imoen. “You said you were studying to become a mage. Would you still consider becoming one?”

“Yeah…I mean I would like to, but why do you ask?”

“Our group needs a mage. I’m sure I could convince Bentley to aid you in obtaining a spell book and a few spells.”

“Thanks Jaheira!” Imoen almost scrammed.

Together, Jaheira and Imoen made their way across to the bar towards the Gnome Illusionist.

Khalid now sat alone at the table, watching the retreating backs of Jaheira and Imoen with a serious look on his face. What he had just heard about Melfice troubled him and he was wondering if Jaheira felt the same way.

All three were unaware that a half elf with bright blue hair had just entered the inn. A Drow accompanied her, and together they both slowly made their way towards the table where Khalid was now sitting alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com