Chapter Three: The Friendly Arm Inn

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dark-Mage_*

Posted 23 August 2003 - 07:32 PM

Chapter Three: The Friendly Arm Inn

Leen and Imoen stood before the steps that lead into the inn itself. Just as they were about to mount the steps and make their way into the inn, a man wearing black robes came through the door, upon spotting Leen and Imoen, he walked forwards with a smile on his face.

“Hi friend. I've not seen you here before today. What brings you to the Friendly Arm?” He spoke in a friendly manner. “My name’s Tarnes, who might you be?”

Leen looked at him for a moment. He was of medium height, had dark hair and he was holding a quarterstaff. Judging by his choice of weapon and clothing, Leen took him for a mage of some sort.

“My name is Leen, and I’m here to meet some friends.”

“Oh, you must be whom I am to meet then. I will take you to your friends.”

“Do you know of Khalid and Jaheira?” Leen asked.

“Oh yes, I know of them, but unfortunately for you, they are still up in the inn and are unable to help you. Hold still a moment won’t you?” As these words left his mouth, a wicked smile spread across his face as he began casting a spell.

Knowing she wouldn’t be able to draw her bastard sword, Leen drew her short sword instead and prayed that she would live long enough to use it.

She watched as Tarnes finished his spell and her mouth opened in shock as one momen,t there was just him stood alone on the steps and the next moment there was three copies of him.

She lunged her short sword forward, striking one of the Tarnes. The image just disappeared, leaving the other two with a smirk of amusement on their faces. Just as he started to cast his next spell, she heard the twang of bowstring and seconds later, she saw an arrow striking another one of the Tarnes duplicates, leaving only the real one.

Tarnes finished his second spell, and a white glowing globe shot from his hands. Leen felt an overwhelming urge to flee, but she was able to shake it off. However, The sound of someone running away from behind her told her that Imoen hadn’t been as lucky.

Leen swung her short sword in a vicious upward slash, which caught Tarnes in the stomach and left an angry cut that ran from his stomach up to his chest. He fell to the floor, as his blood wept from the open wound.

She turned as the sound of approaching footsteps meet her ears and saw Imoen returning, accompanied by two men in leather armour and carrying long swords.

“There is no fighting permitted inside the Friendly Arm,” one of the man said in an authority filled voice. “However, you were attacked first and were merely defending yourselves, so we will not remove you from the Friendly Arm this time.” With that they both turned and left.

“I’m…sorry I couldn’t have been more help,” she heard Imoen say. From the sound of her voice and the look in her eyes, Leen could tell that she was fighting back tears.

“It’s okay, Immie, he cast a spell at you. There was nothing you could do,” Leen replied, trying to calm her down.

“Yeah, but…but you didn’t run away. I wish I could be brave like you.”

Leen smiled at this. “Sometimes it’s better to run away, but let’s forget about it. I’m anxious to meet this Khalid and Jaheira.”

Imoen nodded and fell in line behind Leen. As they climbed the steps leading into the inn.

Leen surveyed the scene before her. There were many tables scattered across the inn and many of them had patrons sat at them. The bar was located right at the far end and the stairs leading up to the second floor, were located approximately half way up the left hand side wall.

As Leen studied the many patrons, looking for whoever might be the Khalid and Jaheira that she was searching for, she noticed a young women standing nearby.

Leen walked over to her. “Excuse me,” she said timidly. “I was wondering…umm…if you knew anyone by the names of Khalid and Jaheira?”

The young woman looked at her. “Yes dear, that’s them over there,” she pointed to a pair of half elves who were standing in the far corner by the bar. “I don’t know if it would be wise to disturb them though, it appears they have been waiting for someone most anxiously. They even take it in turns to sleep and eat.”

With that she was about to turn away, but she suddenly stopped and returned her attention back to Leen. “You look familiar, is by any chance your name Leen?”

“Y…yes,” Leen replied hesitantly, the memory of the last person who asked her name was still fresh in her mind. “Do I know you?”

“Oh no dear, not personally, but I have been asked about someone of your description many times. Firstly from Khalid and Jaheira over there, then there was a charming mage by the name of Tarnes, there was also a dwarf, a human female who looked like a cleric and a few others as well. I would be careful if I was you, some of these people didn’t looked too friendly”

With that the woman turned away, leaving a rather shocked and pale Leen in her wake. Leen felt a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

“It’s okay, Leen, let’s go and speak with Khalid and Jaheira. Look their looking this way,” she heard Imoen say.

Leen nodded, before making her way over to the two half elves. As she reached them, she opened her mouth to speak, but the male half elf beat her to it.

“Something about you is f-familiar, child. Your manner reminds me of a sage I know, b-by the name of Gorion,” he said with a slight stutter.

The female half elf replied to this comment with, “It is almost a slight on him, but I see it too.”

“Jaheira! M-mind your m-m-manners! This must be the child that Gorion wrote of so often.”

“We are old friends of your adopted father. He is not with you? I must assume the worst; he would not permit his only child to wander without his accompaniment.”

“If...if he has passed, we share your loss.” Leen heard the half elf male, who she assumed was Khalid, stutter once again.

“Gorion often said that he worried for your safety, even at the expense of his own. He also wished that Khalid and I would become your guardians, if he should ever meet an untimely end. However, you are much older now, and the choice of your companions should be your own.”

“We could t-travel with you until you get settled, help you find your l-lot in life.”

“It would be a fitting last service to Gorion, though we should first go to Nashkel. Khalid and I...look into local concerns, and there are rumours of strange things happening at the mine. No doubt you have heard of the iron shortage? You would do well to help us. It affects everyone, including you. We are to meet the mayor of the town, Berrun Ghastkill.”

Leen studied them both a moment. “Be…before he died, Gorion insisted that I should travel with you and I wish to follow his last request of me, if…you would have me that is,” she replied, mirroring Khalid’s stutter slightly. She looked at Imoen, who gave her an encouraging nod.

“Of course we will have you child, your company will be welcome.” Jaheira replied, and then her gaze fell on Imoen. “Who is your companion?” she asked.

“This is Imoen, she is my friend from Candlekeep. She snuck out after myself and Gor…Gorion left, and we met up the morning after he was…killed.” She watched as Khalid and Jaheira shared a look between themselves.

“Very well child, we should make haste to Nashkell, the mayor awaits our arrival.” Jaheira spoke in a clear commanding voice.

Leen nodded. “But first, can myself and Imoen rest a little? We have travelled for a full day to get here and we was just attacked by a mage.”

“You were attacked? Why?” Jaheira demanded.

“I don’t know, but he had this on him. I haven’t had time to read it yet.” Leen said, as she handed the scroll that she had taken from the body of Tarnes to Jaheira.

Leen watched as both Jaheira and Khalid read it silently. After they had finished, they both looked a bit paler.

“They…act sooner then we thought.” Khalid stuttered.

“Yes, we will have to be careful on our journey to Nashkell.” Jaheira replied.

“What does it say?” Leen asked.

“Nothing that mat…matters, child” Khalid replied.

“Yes now you two get some rest well we prepare everything we need for our journey.”

With that, Leen and Imoen moved towards the innkeeper to rent rooms for the night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com