Unwilling to Acquiesce – Part 40

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 07:10 AM

Almost all who have had an encounter with a great dragon mention the overarching sense of fear and dread which infects them while in the presence of the drake. Some scholars have speculated that it is an effect of the dragon’s blood, or of its gaze; others have posited that dragons are masters of a particularly powerful spellcasting. For myself, I would say that the presence of a dragon is sufficiently awe striking that no magic should be necessary to strike fear into even the boldest mortal. Nonetheless, I can from experience attest that the fear is true and very real. It saps the strength from one’s limbs and turns one’s stomach to rushing water. If ever anyone should boast to you of their courage before a dragon; of how they stood firm and unabashed in its presence, then my friend, they are lying to you. None are bold in the face of such might and majesty.

Nevertheless, I have known one who held his ground against a mighty and evil drake, and of him I will never speak enough praises.

From the memoirs of Lord Anomen Delryn

“We have come for Garren Windspear’s daughter!” declares Adamant; he grits his teeth to steel himself against the supernatural fear that threatens to over flow him like a flooding river. Though the air is hot and sulphurous, still he shivers in a sudden chill of the spirit. So do the other companions, standing in the presence of a great red Wyrm, ancient and potent.

“Don’t talk foolishness,” chides Firkraag, like a mother chiding an infant, though not kindly. “You have come because I have forced you to come. You are but puppets for my stage and you have proved most amusing.”

“It is not true,” whispers Jaheira, her eyes staring with unmitigated terror at Firkraag’s glittering, scaled flanks.

“It is true,” says the mage half concealed in the shadow of Firkraag’s wing. “My master has indeed enjoyed watching your petty struggles.”

“A most satisfying experience,” rumbles Firkraag and the puffs of smoky breath from his nostrils jet forth like tiny storm clouds racing through the air. “Revenge is so sweet when so well prepared.”

“Why would you wish revenge upon us?” asks Anomen, the final words nearly lost in a hacking cough as he chokes upon the fumes.

“Not you, meaningless human,” Firkraag says in rebuke. “The spawn of Bhaal is the star of my morality play.”

“I never have crossed you dragon. What purpose your revenge?” Anger in his heart steels Adamant’s nerve, as he realises that all the suffering that has surrounded him in Windspear has happened to satisfy Firkraag’s desire to hurt him personally.

“You never crossed me but your guardian, orphan, owed me a debt of honour for wounds I received at his hands when he considered himself an ‘adventurer’.”

“My guardian is dead,” Adamant says tersely.

“It is true, dragon,” adds Jaheira, the painful memory and the burning air combining to bring tears to her eyes. “Gorion was slain by another of the children of Bhaal.”

“We know that,” snaps the mage archly. “News of the bastard’s lucky escape reached here soon enough after his death.”

“Lucky escape?” the words rest heavily on Jaheira’s lips, as if she can barely understand them.

“Yes,” nods Firkraag. “But his love for you whelp made you a perfect vessel for my revenge against him. No matter what afterlife he languishes in, I am sure that your suffering wracks his soul no end.”

“How can a dragon be so petty?” asks Nalia. Firkraag chuckles.

“Do not seek to provoke me, insect,” he says. He bends his neck, bringing his eyes closer to Adamant’s face. “I have done what I desired as is my right; I could slay you, but that is a revenge less complete. Live now, would-be-knight, with your honour irreparably besmirched. How holy is your quest now that I have lured you into heinous murder. I will not slay you for the pain of your life will be sweeter to me than your death. Now go, live out your paltry existence, and know that I am amused by your every suffering.”

“We will not leave without the daughter of Garren Windspear,” declares Adamant with vehemence, as if by saying it he can make it true.

“Do you yet cling to your tattered honour?” there is amusement mixed with incredulity mixed in Firkraag’s voice. “I see a further lesson is needed. Very well, you may have the child, if you can get to her before my servant. Conster?”

“Yes master,” answers the mage.

“Slay the little vermin, would you?”

“Yes master,” says Conster and almost immediately he fades from sight, using magic to step in the spaces between worlds. He will arrive almost instantly at the little girl’s cell.

“No!” cries Nalia and then she collapses in a fit of coughing, having drawn in too much of the poisonous air. Anomen looks in horror from the dragon to the woman at his side. He and Jaheira grab her and lead her toward the stairs. They look about for Adamant, and realise that he is already gone.

----

His lungs burn in the vaporous air and his legs feel like lead under the weight of the armour. Yet Adamant does not slow. By focussed will he drives himself up the ancient stone stairs, determined to not be too late. He coughs in spite of himself, his ragged breath hot inside his helmet. Sparks strike in the dark stairwell as his tired arm lets the point of his blade drag against one stone wall. He is tempted to fling the heavy weight from him, but he needs it.

Adamant’s chest heaves and his legs threaten give out as he bursts through the doorway and into the cell block. In his mind swim visions of Garren’s daughter slain, more innocent blood to stain his hands. He sees Conster standing at the entrance to the cell, the barred door open.

There is no blood, Adamant thinks and is relieved that he may not be too late.

“You did not think I would start without you?” says Conster, a mocking smile on his lips. He reaches into the cell, grabbing for the little girl. Then he stops and his smile melts into a look of puzzlement. Looking down he sees a spot of black-red blood growing on his robe. The fabric tears slightly and the point of Yoshimo’s sword cuts its way through, having been thrust all the way through Conster’s body. Behind him, the last thing Conster hears is Yoshimo’s voice as he says, “I thought we were going to have a private party.”

The mage’s body slumps dead to the floor. Yoshimo enters the cell and takes the girl up in his arms. She hugs him reflexively and he smiles. From behind him, Adamant can hear the others coming up the stairs. He slumps against the lintel and, pushing up the visor of his helmet, gasps for air. In spite of himself, he feels a few tears wash their way down his dusty face. Then, catching the triumphant glint in Yoshimo’s eyes, he smiles. When the others find their way to the top of the stairs, they find the two men in an embrace, laughing wearily and dancing with Garren’s little girl.

#2 Laufey

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:55 AM

Almost all who have had an encounter with a great dragon mention the overarching sense of fear and dread which infects them while in the presence of the drake. Some scholars have speculated that it is an effect of the dragon’s blood, or of its gaze; others have posited that dragons are masters of a particularly powerful spellcasting. For myself, I would say that the presence of a dragon is sufficiently awe striking that no magic should be necessary to strike fear into even the boldest mortal. Nonetheless, I can from experience attest that the fear is true and very real. It saps the strength from one’s limbs and turns one’s stomach to rushing water. If ever anyone should boast to you of their courage before a dragon; of how they stood firm and unabashed in its presence, then my friend, they are lying to you. None are bold in the face of such might and majesty.

Nevertheless, I have known one who held his ground against a mighty and evil drake, and of him I will never speak enough praises.

Oh yes...there certainly is no shame in feeling fear when faced with a dragon. I suspect anybody would.

“We have come for Garren Windspear’s daughter!” declares Adamant; he grits his teeth to steel himself against the supernatural fear that threatens to over flow him like a flooding river. Though the air is hot and sulphurous, still he shivers in a sudden chill of the spirit. So do the other companions, standing in the presence of a great red Wyrm, ancient and potent.

And yet bravery is not the same as absence of fear, but it means defying it.

His lungs burn in the vaporous air and his legs feel like lead under the weight of the armour. Yet Adamant does not slow. By focussed will he drives himself up the ancient stone stairs, determined to not be too late. He coughs in spite of himself, his ragged breath hot inside his helmet. Sparks strike in the dark stairwell as his tired arm lets the point of his blade drag against one stone wall. He is tempted to fling the heavy weight from him, but he needs it.

'focused'

Nice details btw, smell, sight and sensation all make it feel alive.

“You did not think I would start without you?” says Conster, a mocking smile on his lips. He reaches into the cell, grabbing for the little girl. Then he stops and his smile melts into a look of puzzlement. Looking down he sees a spot of black-red blood growing on his robe. The fabric tears slightly and the point of Yoshimo’s sword cuts its way through, having been thrust all the way through Conster’s body. Behind him, the last thing Conster hears is Yoshimo’s voice as he says, “I thought we were going to have a private party.”

:)

The mage’s body slumps dead to the floor. Yoshimo enters the cell and takes the girl up in his arms. She hugs him reflexively and he smiles. From behind him, Adamant can hear the others coming up the stairs. He slumps against the lintel and, pushing up the visor of his helmet, gasps for air. In spite of himself, he feels a few tears wash their way down his dusty face. Then, catching the triumphant glint in Yoshimo’s eyes, he smiles. When the others find their way to the top of the stairs, they find the two men in an embrace, laughing wearily and dancing with Garren’s little girl.

And now...Firkraag himself? Or perhaps Adamant will save him for later?
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:56 AM

[quote name="No One of Consequence"][i]Almost all who have had an encounter with a great dragon mention the overarching sense of fear and dread which infects them while in the presence of the drake. Some scholars have speculated that it is an effect of the dragon’s blood, or of its gaze; others have posited that dragons are masters of a particularly powerful spellcasting. For myself, I would say that the presence of a dragon is sufficiently awe striking that no magic should be necessary to strike fear into even the boldest mortal.

It's probably because, facing a 15 m long, flying, firebreathing lizard, who consider you to be only a little more dangerous than a fly, would make anyone reconsider their options.

[quote]
[/quote]

:) Fooled.

[quote]
The mage’s body slumps dead to the floor. Yoshimo enters the cell and takes the girl up in his arms. She hugs him reflexively and he smiles. From behind him, Adamant can hear the others coming up the stairs. He slumps against the lintel and, pushing up the visor of his helmet, gasps for air. In spite of himself, he feels a few tears wash their way down his dusty face. Then, catching the triumphant glint in Yoshimo’s eyes, he smiles. When the others find their way to the top of the stairs, they find the two men in an embrace, laughing wearily and dancing with Garren’s little girl.[/quote]

Perhaps yoshi will have a friend in her now

Hunter

#4 Guest_argan_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 11:53 AM

Happy.

Good chapter :lol:

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 01:11 PM

From the memoirs of Lord Anomen Delryn[/i]

Heh, so Ano will live to tell the tale... good for him.

“It is not true,” whispers Jaheira, her eyes staring with unmitigated terror at Firkraag’s glittering, scaled flanks.

When Jaheira loses her cool, you know that you are in a deep shit indeed.

“It is true, dragon,” adds Jaheira, the painful memory and the burning air combining to bring tears to her eyes. “Gorion was slain by another of the children of Bhaal.”

“We know that,” snaps the mage archly. “News of the bastard’s lucky escape reached here soon enough after his death.”

“Lucky escape?” the words rest heavily on Jaheira’s lips, as if she can barely understand them.

“Yes,” nods Firkraag. “But his love for you whelp made you a perfect vessel for my revenge against him. No matter what afterlife he languishes in, I am sure that your suffering wracks his soul no end.”

I have to say that this whole passage is a bit unclear to me... I think that Firkraag is talking about Gorion's love to Adamant, but since he responds to Jaheira, it certainly can be a cause for misunderstanding. Was for me, anyway.

Somebody, shut her up and quickly!

Adamant’s chest heaves and his legs threaten give out as he bursts through the doorway and into the cell block. In his mind swim visions of Garren’s daughter slain, more innocent blood to stain his hands. He sees Conster standing at the entrance to the cell, the barred door open.

Well, there's Yoshi too, but I suppose you wouldn't think of his blood as innocent...

Hehe, who says that a paladin should be rigid?

Oh and by the way - I spotted a huge inconsistancy in the story. As a rule, everytime you enter a dragon's lair, your romance partner will try to engage you in a romantical conversation. You violated this sacred rule, why? WHY? :) :lol:

#6 Guest_Aurelius_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 01:29 PM

[From the memoirs of Lord Anomen Delryn[/i]

So, he lives happily ever after, eh? :lol:

“Not you, meaningless human,” Firkraag says in rebuke. “The spawn of Bhaal is the star of my morality play.”

LOl, shut up Ano, this is between demigods and dragons :)

“ What purpose your revenge?”

Typo.

Suuuuuuurpriiiiseeeee! :D

Over Conster's body. :)

Nice chapter.

#7 Arcalian

Posted 18 August 2003 - 01:54 PM

YAYY!!
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#8 Weyoun

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:27 PM

A humble Anomen! That's new. :wink:

“Why would you wish revenge upon us?” asks Anomen, the final words nearly lost in a hacking cough as he chokes upon the fumes.

He's also the one to make a suit out of your scalies. :(

*snort* Depends on the color. :(

Ouchs...

Nice move!

Great stuff,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#9 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 10:55 PM

“Don’t talk foolishness,” chides Firkraag, like a mother chiding an infant, though not kindly. “You have come because I have forced you to come. You are but puppets for my stage and you have proved most amusing.”

:( 'Fraid it is, really - he's done a pretty good job of manipulating them.

“We will not leave without the daughter of Garren Windspear,” declares Adamant with vehemence, as if by saying it he can make it true.

And what exactly are you going to do if Firkraag refuses, Adamant?

Good for Yoshi. Poor Adamant though, running all that way for nothing.

And I'm sure Adamant will return another day to deal with Firkraag :wink:

#10 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:40 AM

Almost all who have had an encounter with a great dragon mention the overarching sense of fear and dread which infects them while in the presence of the drake. ...Nevertheless, I have known one who held his ground against a mighty and evil drake, and of him I will never speak enough praises.

Oh yes...there certainly is no shame in feeling fear when faced with a dragon. I suspect anybody would.

The game drops fear spells on you, but in pen'n'paper D&D dragons project a supernatural aura of fear. Everybody's scared of dragons. :lol:

And yet bravery is not the same as absence of fear, but it means defying it.

Ain't that the truth!

'focused'

Nice details btw, smell, sight and sensation all make it feel alive.

Oh, go ahead, correct my bad spelling. ;) And thanks.

Then, catching the triumphant glint in Yoshimo’s eyes, he smiles. When the others find their way to the top of the stairs, they find the two men in an embrace, laughing wearily and dancing with Garren’s little girl.

And now...Firkraag himself? Or perhaps Adamant will save him for later?

One day, but not this day.

Thanks for commenting. :roll:

#11 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:47 AM

Almost all who have had an encounter with a great dragon mention the overarching sense of fear and dread which infects them while in the presence of the drake. Some scholars have speculated that it is an effect of the dragon’s blood, or of its gaze; others have posited that dragons are masters of a particularly powerful spellcasting. For myself, I would say that the presence of a dragon is sufficiently awe striking that no magic should be necessary to strike fear into even the boldest mortal.

It's probably because, facing a 15 m long, flying, firebreathing lizard, who consider you to be only a little more dangerous than a fly, would make anyone reconsider their options.

Quite so!

:lol: Fooled.

There are advantages to having a thief in the party!

Perhaps yoshi will have a friend in her now

He could do with a friend, couldn't he?

Hunter

Thanks for commenting:)

#12 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:54 AM

Happy.

That's good! :roll:

Good chapter :lol:

Thank you - and thanks for saying so! ;)

#13 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:09 AM

From the memoirs of Lord Anomen Delryn[/i]

Heh, so Ano will live to tell the tale... good for him.

Yes - I hadn't decided that until this chapter, but it seems fitting.

When Jaheira loses her cool, you know that you are in a deep shit indeed.

Up to your neck and sinking fast. ;)

I have to say that this whole passage is a bit unclear to me... I think that Firkraag is talking about Gorion's love to Adamant, but since he responds to Jaheira, it certainly can be a cause for misunderstanding. Was for me, anyway.

Yes, there's supposed to be a line indicating that Firkraag has turned his head to Adamant at this point. You're right, leaving it out is a touch confusing.

Somebody, shut her up and quickly!

"Don't annoy the dragon, Nalia dear!" :)

Well, there's Yoshi too, but I suppose you wouldn't think of his blood as innocent...

But Yoshimo is too cunning for Conster! :cry:

Hehe, who says that a paladin should be rigid?

Not me!

Oh and by the way - I spotted a huge inconsistancy in the story. As a rule, everytime you enter a dragon's lair, your romance partner will try to engage you in a romantical conversation. You violated this sacred rule, why? WHY? ;) :lol:

Oh no!!! :roll: :!: A dreadful canon violation. :lol:

Thanks for commenting:)

#14 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:16 AM

So, he lives happily ever after, eh? :lol:

Well he lives, at any rate!:!:

LOl, shut up Ano, this is between demigods and dragons ;)

That'll put anyone's ego on hold :roll:

“ What purpose your revenge?”

Typo.

No, archaic grammar - the sentence would be fine in Shakespeare's day.

Suuuuuuurpriiiiseeeee! :cry:

A thief in the party has his uses. ;)

Over Conster's body. :lol:

I hadn't thought of it that way!

Nice chapter.

Thank you - and thanks for commenting. :)

#15 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:24 AM

YAYY!!

I'm glad you approve. :lol:

Thanks for commenting.

#16 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:38 AM

A humble Anomen! That's new. :lol:

It's a future Anomen - he's grown up a lot.

He's also the one to make a suit out of your scalies. ;)

Soon enough - but not today.

*snort* Depends on the color. :roll:

I don't know, even the metallic ones can put pride before common sense sometimes.

Nice move!

I liked it!

Great stuff,
---Weyoun

Thanks - thanks for commenting :cry:

#17 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:53 AM

:roll: 'Fraid it is, really - he's done a pretty good job of manipulating them.

Indeed he has.

And what exactly are you going to do if Firkraag refuses, Adamant?

That's a good question - I think he's making a statement of intent rather than outlining a plan of action.

Good for Yoshi. Poor Adamant though, running all that way for nothing.

Oh no - "a righteous effort is never wasted, regardless of the outcome" - at least that's what I reckon Adamant would say.:lol:

And I'm sure Adamant will return another day to deal with Firkraag ;)

Watch this space - thanks for commenting. :cry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com