All That Glitters...41 and 41(alt)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 03:44 AM

You get two for the price of one, this time. What is it you're getting? Endings.

Almost a year ago, I mentioned that I had to make a quick writearound for a particular chapter after I changed my mind, and this was it (recently referred to as a "lame cop-out"). I'm breaking my own self-imposed rule to stick to established FR sources as closely as possible with this, because, there isn't such a thing as a Grand Inquisition.

The second ending is being posted as a reply to this message, so that people who don't want to read it don't have to worry about accidentally doing so. Jaheira fans in particular may not want to read it.

I want to assure people that this is the "official" ending, that the other one's basically posted so people can see what might have been, as a curiosity perhaps. As far as future chapters are concerned the alternate ending never happened.

So first: the real version.

Chapter Forty-One

"Hold! And let justice take its rightful measure!" the Harper at the head of the group proclaimed, brandishing a sword, as the few other patrons in the Flagons taproom scrambled for cover or fled out the back door. "You will know this day that you have suffered Harper justice!"

Jaheira stood up. "What is this? Reviane! By the Stones of Aisath, what do you think you are doing?"

"Enforcing the Code."

Keldorn rose to his feet. "Your Code does not allow you to terrorize innocents, Harper. Nor does it allow you to destroy their property. I suggest you make recompense to the owners of this establishment...and leave."

Reviane waved her hand at Keldorn dismissively. "I have nothing to say to you, oppressor."

Jaheira put a hand on Keldorn's arm. "I shall handle this." Then, to Reviane, "Are you mad? There has been no breach of the Code. It is I...Jaheira!"

"So I see. It pains me to do this, but a traitor's death is what you deserve!"

"What insanity is this? If it is about the ambush at the Harper Hold...we had no other choice!"

"I know not of what you speak, Jaheira. Explain yourself!"

"You accepted the mission without knowing what was involved?" Kal asked in some astonishment.

"Kal, please. Reviane, what Galvarey did was, in short, launch a surprise attack."

"All the Harpers know is that there was an attack and that Galvarey is dead. There is time for a somewhat longer explanation. Get on with it," Reviane commanded.

"Very well. Galvarey initially impersonated a Master Harper and sent summons to me that I might bring my companion to the Hold. I obeyed, as I should, and found that he had summoned me. By all rights I could have left then; Galvarey was not a Master Harper and had not the authority to call me."

"And you did not leave because...?" Reviane asked dubiously.

"I am getting there. Once we arrived, I decided, in the interests of working together, that we might satisfy Galvarey's curiosity, and that his questions about my companion might be answered. He then asked a number of pointless questions, the answers of which he twisted and misinterpreted as he chose, painting Kalvorin here as a murderous demon."

"And why would Galvarey do such a strange thing?"

"He wished to confer a sentence of imprisonment on Kalvorin, and by doing so earn prestige and a promotion to Master Harper. We erred when we gave Galvarey a leading position, Reviane. The man was totally insane. He kept spouting trash about a ‘Harper Empire' that he would lead to conquer Faerun."

"And just who is Kalvorin that he might be so valuable?"

Jaheira looked at Kal with a questioning expression in her eyes.

"Tell her, if you think it is important," Kal said.

"Very well. Reviane, Kal is one of the Children. Galvarey wished to capitalize on the fear revolving around certain prophecies of Alaundo."

Reviane nearly dropped her sword. "This is a Bhaal-child? And you side with him over one of your own?"

"To call Galvarey one of my own would be to call a Red Wizard of Thay a Masked Lord of Waterdeep. Galvarey was no Harper. And he died in accordance with the Code, Reviane - he sought personal power, outside and above the Harp - and the Code has only one punishment for such a crime."

"She's lying," one of the other Harpers grumbled. "I say we kill them all now. I hate being out in the open this long."

"Can you prove that you are not lying? We will not take the death of one so promising as Galvarey lightly."

"No, I cannot prove that I am not lying, just as you cannot prove that I am! And have you not heard a word I said? Galvarey is better off dead."

Reviane frowned. "I do not know what might have turned you against Galvarey so, but such antagonism is not constructive."

"It is not antagonism, it is truth. And I have not yet mentioned how he attempted to destroy the entire building rather than have us escape."

"That doesn't sound like Galvarey," another Harper said.

"Then you were fooled, like I was," Jaheira said curtly.

"This is taking too long," complained the belligerent Harper. "Let's do what we came here to do!" He hefted his axe meaningfully.

Kal stood and walked between the Harpers and Jaheira. "No fighting. Galvarey's death was necessary, but we shouldn't complicate things. Fighting now would be a mistake - and it would hurt too many innocents besides."

"Noble words, but you are, after all, the one in the weaker position," Reviane observed, correctly. While her group was armoured and prepared for combat, of Kal's group only Yoshimo and Keldorn had their armour on, and Jaheira's and Viconia's shields were in their rooms.

"I'd say the same thing regardless. But that isn't the point. Why would we kill Galvarey? We've no motive."

"Killers need no motive."

Kal shook his head. "Nonsense. I'm a paladin, not a mindless killer. I'd be stripped of my status in an instant were I to commit an act like that. Hells, I wouldn't be a paladin if I would do something like that."

"You say you are a paladin," Reviane said doubtfully.

Kal shrugged. "Easily enough proven." Lifting his holy symbol, he prayed aloud. "Tyr, grant your humble servant light, by which falsehoods are defeated and the truth of justice revealed."

A warm blue light instantly appeared in the air between the two parties, growing brighter and warmer until it resembled the light of a torch.

"Very well," Reviane conceded, accepting Kal's casting of the spell as proof. "But as a paladin you are inherently a threat to the balance. Perhaps, Galvarey was working on some plan to preserve the balance that you disagree with, being of such extremist views."

"Come now, Reviane," Jaheira said with a derisive snicker. "This is too much. If this, and if that. I would say that Kal's case is simpler and far more convincing. Among other things, it requires no baseless assumptions such as an elaborate plan on Galvarey's part."

"I am troubled," Reviane admitted. "What you say is true, yet one cannot allow the deaths of Harpers to go unavenged."

"They were not Harpers any longer, you can be assured of that. Galvarey was a megalomaniac, and the others just pawns and servants of his. If they had any loyalty to the harp, it was long gone by the time we encountered them."

"Put aside your weapons," Reviane ordered. "I have come to a decision. We must convene a Grand Inquisition to discover the truth of what has happened here."

Jaheira's jaw dropped. "Reviane...that could take years!"

Reviane nodded grimly. "It could. But it is the only choice I see."

"It is impossible. We are on an important quest and cannot afford to delay several years while the plans are made to assemble the requisite number of Harpers."

"What is this quest?" Reviane asked.

"Kal's sister, and a friend of mine, has been taken by the Cowled Wizards. We wish to find our way to their prison and free her."

"Hmmm. The Harpers would not object to your fighting against such a repressive organization, but I do not see the problem. I do not require his presence, merely yours. He can rescue his sister without you."

"We also seek Khalid's killer."

"And he can also do that without you. You must leave with us."

"That...I...I cannot do that." Jaheira stammered.

"Jaheira is an important member of the party," Kal said, picking up smoothly as he saw Jaheira faltering.

"Of course," Reviane said, a little suspiciously. "But this is the only way we can end this without a fight. Jaheira, I offer you a peaceful way out. Think carefully. If not, you will have to prove your case...by yourself."

"Then," Yoshimo observed, "we have returned to our point of origin."

There were a few moments of uncomfortable silence. "Kal...I...," Jaheira began.

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, Jaheira," he said.

"I...I will go with them. Reviane is right, and...we must end this without a fight. Or this will never be resolved."

"How is your safety to be guaranteed?" Yoshimo asked.

"Reviane. The ring," Jaheira said, and Reviane passed over a gold ring with the inscription of the Harp. "Once I put this on," Jaheira explained, "I will be committed to the inquisition, but no Harper will be able to harm me, nor think about harming me. I will be...totally safe," she said, but with obvious lack of enthusiasm.

"Make your goodbyes short. We will wait outside," Reviane said. They stepped out of the doorway.

Yoshimo's and Keldorn's goodbyes were quick, as neither had really known her that well. Viconia's assumed hers would go the same, but Jaheira leaned over before moving on, and whispered in her ear, "Take care of him."

"I do not think I understand," Viconia whispered back.

"Oh, I think you do," Jaheira whispered, and then moved on.

"I'm going to miss you, Jaheira," Cel said, making sniffling sounds.

"I will miss you too, Cel. But...this is best for all of us."

"I guess so. I'll...see you around. Sometime in the next two hundred years. We can do that, I know we can."

Jaheira smiled faintly. "I will try my best."

And then, it was Kal's turn. "Kal..." Jaheira began, then stopped. There were no words to express what she felt.

"It's not goodbye, Jaheira. We'll...we'll see each other again. What's a few years between friends?" His tone was light, but he was blinking back tears.

"I...I know."

"It won't be the same without you."

"Nor will it be...the same for me." Jaheira fingered the ring nervously, and glanced at it.

"Don't worry, Jaheira. We'll go on without you. It is...comforting to know that you'll be safe, at least."

Jaheira nodded, but did not move.

"And," Kal said, "I promise you - I will never forget Khalid."

There was a long pause.

"That...was what I was afraid of," Jaheira said, and leaned forward and kissed him gently, on the lips. "Be...well."

Then she turned away and put the ring on, taking a deep breath as its magic bound itself to her. And without turning around, she moved away, leaving Kal to simply watch as she walked out the door...and out of his life.

#2 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 03:50 AM

This is the alternate ending, with the plot proceeding as originally outlined. Keep in mind that this is, essentially, an unproofed draft with zero revisions; I did not and will not fix problems with this because it "didn't really happen". For curiosity's sake, I offer it here.

Chapter Forty-One, Alternate Ending

This picks up halfway through the previous chapter, with the line duplicated for easy reference.

"This is taking too long," complained the belligerent Harper. "Let's do what we came here to do!" He hefted his axe meaningfully.

Reviane nodded in agreement. "There is little time left to you, Jaheira. I fail to find your story credible. I knew Galvarey, many of us knew Galvarey, and you will not distract us from our mission with these...fictions."

"Fictions...!" Jaheira snapped, then tried to put more control into her voice. "Reviane, I tell you the truth. You have known me for years, as well...why are you so willing to believe that I am lying to you, that I have changed so much from the Jaheira you knew, and not willing to believe that Galvarey could have changed from the Galvarey you knew?"

"Easy to say," Reviane shot back. "But Galvarey is dead, and dead men cannot defend themselves."

"It's been too long!" the axe-wielding Harper said again. "Reviane, the City Guard'll be here very soon - we can't be here when they arrive!"

"Reviane, do not allow yourself to make a rushed decision," Jaheira pleaded. "I am telling you the truth!"

Reviane considered that for a moment longer. Then she lifted her eyes to reply to Jaheira, and the steely glint in them revealed that her mind had been made up.

"Kill them all. Then burn down the inn."

"Reviane! Do not do this!" Jaheira shouted, but Reviane wasn't listening. "I am not lying, Reviane! I told you the truth!"

"Jaheira...we are Harpers. When did we ever care about the truth?" And with that, Reviane advanced, sword and shield at the ready.

The party had no choice but to respond, but they were in a difficult situation. The Harpers had Reviane, a mace-and-shield melee fighter and the Harper with the two-handed battleaxe, backed up by two archers. All of them were armoured and armed, whereas on the party's side, only Keldorn and Yoshimo had their armour on. They advanced side-by-side, hoping to cover for the rest of the party, but were quickly engaged by the three Harpers with close-range weapons. That left the archers untouched.

While they could not fire at Keldorn and Yoshimo without risking hitting one of their own allies, they certainly could fire at the others. Buzzing arrows sliced through the air, and Kal, Jaheira and Viconia dropped to the ground for cover as the arrows burst bottles of wine and stuck in the walls. Kal reached for and knocked over a table and a few chairs to serve as makeshift cover.

The archers, having anticipated that, had already begun moving to the sides of the melee battle raging in the middle of the tavern to get unobstructed angles. Yoshimo tried to draw his opponent across to intersect one archer's line of sight, but the Harper with the mace and shield launched a shield-and-strike sequence that forced Yoshimo to give ground.

Yoshimo and Keldorn were both using two-handed weapons, which compounded the difficulties of the situation. In one-on-one fights, two-handed weapons are fairly strong, in that they at least offer an advantage at least as good as the one lost by not having a shield. But in uneven situations, two-handed weapons' comparative lack of defensive ability comes into play - it is difficult to block and attack. Two of their opponents used sword and shield; the last, a two-handed battleaxe. With their weapon tied up defensively, Keldorn and Yoshimo had little opportunity to get an attack in, and most of those rang harmlessly off shields. Keldorn had a few more opportunities due to his ability to take some hits on his armour, but even he was being driven back.

Kal had to act. Drawing his swords, he advanced to join Keldorn and Yoshimo despite his lack of armour, and his first slashes drew Reviane away, forcing her to raise her shield and draw back. This swung the momentum temporarily in the party's favour, and Yoshimo's katana drew blood as it sliced through the axe-wielder's leather shoulder pad. Reviane backed up again and again as Kal's blades slammed against her shield, putting dents in the steel rim and cutting chunks out of the wooden centre.

Then the inevitable happened: Reviane backed up and another Harper crowded in on the flank. If Kal pursued Reviane, he would flank himself; if he stopped attacking her, he allowed her to recover for an attack.

Perhaps it said something about how far Bhaal had gotten that Kal decided to keep attacking. Striding forward, he continued to unleash strikes that rocked Reviane back on her heels, moving her sword and shield to deflect every bone-shocking blow. For a moment, it seemed that Kal was about to push her back, getting out of the danger zone.

That moment passed as the other sword-armed Harper deflected Keldorn's swing with his shield and freed his sword hand. Cloth parted easily as the blade cut deeply into his side, and Kal stumbled backward with a gasp. That was Reviane's opening, and she rushed forward, using her damaged shield to brush aside Kal's on-hand weapon and thrusting with her sword.

Kal wasn't as incapacitated as he should have been, though, and as her sword tore through his other side, he found his balance and pivoted towards her, into her thrust. It slid her sword a little deeper into his body, but it also brought Daystar into range, and then it was Reviane's turn to stiffen and gasp as the tip of the sword found its way between her ribs. With a savage uppercut motion, Kal jammed the rest of the blade in as far as it would go. Reviane jerked once, and then blood began pouring out of her mouth in an unstoppable stream. Kal's strength gave out at that point, and the two grievous wounds he had suffered spilled blood all over the floor as he collapsed. Reviane's body splashed in the blood pool as it thumped to the ground beside him.

Viconia abandoned the cover of the knocked-over table, rushing to Kal's side. Jaheira was not far behind. However, Kal and Reviane's abrupt exit from the combat had opened up a new lane for one of the archers, and he didn't hesitate to fire. Four arrows flew through the air. Two missed, one breaking a window on its way out, the other sinking into a cabinet, but the other two did not.

With gruesomely solid thudding noises, two arrows drove into Viconia, one into her left shoulder and another through her right hand. She twisted from the force of the arrows, then stumbled and fell to the ground. Jaheira leapt aside just in time to evade the follow-up volley, which peppered a table with shafts.

The odds having been evened in the middle, Keldorn and Yoshimo were now getting the best of the two Harpers. The sword-and-shield Harper was now making much more use of his shield, and the battleaxe wielder was having to retreat every time Keldorn and Yoshimo attacked simultaneously.

Jaheira knew that Kal didn't have long to live. She also knew, however, that if she stopped to cast a spell the two archers would perforate her.

Running quickly to Kal's side, she grasped his wrists, shaking loose the sword hilts in his bloodstained hands. She put his hands together and pressed them over the deep wound on his right side.

"Jaheira, watch out!" Cel screamed, and Jaheira got up to get behind the cover of a table once more. She almost made it.

One arrow sped in, struck the top of the table and ricocheted upward, burying itself in the ceiling at an oblique angle. That was the one that missed.

Two arrows hit almost simultaneously. One into her thigh, the other into her shoulder. Not fatal wounds, in and of themselves - but their force turned Jaheira around, presenting her front to the last arrow, which buried itself into the left side of her chest. Her head snapped back as the last arrow sank in, and Jaheira collapsed to the floor without a sound.

On the floor, Cel's shriek roused Kal's last remaining scrap of consciousness. Perceiving through the haze that blanketed his thoughts that his hands were on his wound, he summoned Tyr's blessing and healed it. Instantly, his head cleared, though not much. He quickly moved his hands over to the other wound and healed it shut as well. He sat up, but dizzily. Healing magic didn't replace lost blood.

Keldorn's sword tore the axe out of the Harper's hands. Before he could react, Yoshimo was there, and the razor-sharp katana opened the Harper's throat. Now it was two-on-one. The archers, seeing this, started backing rapidly toward the remains of the door. They didn't want to be around when the last Harper between them and the men with swords died. What they didn't count on, however, was Kal.

Healing magic didn't replace lost blood, but his dragon heritage's regeneration certainly did. He was up on his feet only a few seconds after his wounds closed. He was bending to retrieve his swords when his eyes finished taking in the entire situation. Viconia and Jaheira, lying motionless on the ground with arrows in them. The two archers, moving toward the door.

Kal could not remember what happened next, but Keldorn and Yoshimo certainly did. In a single bound, Kal leaped half the length of the room, glittering claws at full extension. Before he even touched the ground next to the archer, his hand slashed out and tore the archer's throat to shreds. The last abandoned her slow retreat and turned to flee, but she was not fast enough. Clawed fingers closed around her throat from behind, and before she could even feel their presence they had reduced her neck to bloody wreckage.

He was roused from his frenzy by Cel's shout. "Kal! Get back here! Jaheira needs your help!" The last Harper lay dead in the pool of blood that now covered the entire floor. Viconia had managed to sit up, and Yoshimo was helping her break the arrows and push them through. Keldorn was taking blue bottles from his pack. Kal picked up three as he ran by, handing one to Viconia, who weakly nodded her thanks.

Jaheira was lying on her back, gasping shallowly, eyes open, but not seeing. Kal uncorked a bottle and tried to pour it down her throat, but it simply filled up her mouth and ran over the sides. She began to cough, and Kal had to turn her head and let the potion spill out before it choked her.

"Kal...." It was a whisper. Less than a whisper. Barely a breath.

"Don't talk, Jaheira. You have to try to drink this."

She ignored him. "Tell...Viconia...care of...you...."

"I won't tell her, you will. You won't need me to tell her! You're not going to die, Jaheira. I won't let you!"

"Don't...start lying...now...." The colour was almost gone from her face and skin. The pools of blood beneath her drew Kal inescapably to the conclusion he did not want to reach. Too much blood had been lost.

"Jaheira...Jaheira, I swear, I won't forget. I won't give up. I swear I'll never forget Khalid," Kal said, tears spattering the blood-stained clothes.

"Was...what...'fraid of...."

The light started to go out of her violet eyes, and her body sagged as muscles slowly gave up their fight to survive. Her last breath began to hiss out of her ruined body, but with her characteristic will she formed it into words, one last time.

"‘Bye...Kal...love you...."

And then she was gone.

#3 Laufey

Posted 18 August 2003 - 05:06 AM

Ah, I'm glad you chose this ending and not the other one! Poor Jaheira though...and now Viconia is the only one of the three ladies left, unless you plan to pull some surprise out of your hat. :)

Just one question: Why would the Grand Inquisition take such a long time?
Rogues do it from behind.

#4 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 05:14 AM

Ah, I'm glad you chose this ending and not the other one! Poor Jaheira though...and now Viconia is the only one of the three ladies left, unless you plan to pull some surprise out of your hat. :)

No, no surprises, though I'll drop a hint here or there that Kal and Nalia might have been something if conditions had been different.

Well, since I'm making it up, I'd say that it would require a panel of, say, eight Master Harpers and eight Heralds to hear the case. The way the Harpers work, no one knows who all the Master Harpers are, much less the way to get them the information that an Inquisition has been called and that they need to make arrangements to shuffle current projects off on to capable subordinates. The time taken for those arrangements eats into it, as well. In this case, the Harpers' lack of true organization and cell-like distribution works against them. Each Master Harper would have only one or two contacts, well hidden, and the contacts themselves would have contacts of their own and so on. Such a system defends well against enemies, and usually the Harpers don't need to undo the web themselves, so long as it works. When they need to do it, though, it can take them just as long as anyone else.

Does that make sense?

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 05:43 AM

You get two for the price of one, this time. What is it you're getting? Endings.

Heh, so I did guess it, even though I had a tip. Jaheira makes her exit. :)

Almost a year ago, I mentioned that I had to make a quick writearound for a particular chapter after I changed my mind, and this was it (recently referred to as a "lame cop-out"). I'm breaking my own self-imposed rule to stick to established FR sources as closely as possible with this, because, there isn't such a thing as a Grand Inquisition.

The second ending is being posted as a reply to this message, so that people who don't want to read it don't have to worry about accidentally doing so. Jaheira fans in particular may not want to read it.

I want to assure people that this is the "official" ending, that the other one's basically posted so people can see what might have been, as a curiosity perhaps. As far as future chapters are concerned the alternate ending never happened.

Well, I'm thankful that you made this the official version. I took a little glance at the alternate version and... ugh - I better not read it indeed, that sorta thing would normally turn me off from reading a story further. Well, no worries now.

"He wished to confer a sentence of imprisonment on Kalvorin, and by doing so earn prestige and a promotion to Master Harper. We erred when we gave Galvarey a leading position, Reviane. The man was totally insane. He kept spouting trash about a ‘Harper Empire' that he would lead to conquer Faerun."

Having read the Code of The Harpers, I find this even more interesting - I wonder though, iirc, Galvarey was looking to become a Herald - am I wrong? I guess in Herald's position he would have access to a huge source of info and with that had the politicial power.

"Noble words, but you are, after all, the one in the weaker position," Reviane observed, correctly. While her group was armoured and prepared for combat, of Kal's group only Yoshimo and Keldorn had their armour on, and Jaheira's and Viconia's shields were in their rooms.

Urgh. No, I am pretty sure what that means for the alternate ending... :)

"Very well," Reviane conceded, accepting Kal's casting of the spell as proof. "But as a paladin you are inherently a threat to the balance. Perhaps, Galvarey was working on some plan to preserve the balance that you disagree with, being of such extremist views."

How is being a paladin a threat to the balance? Just because he is 'good'? But most folks amongst Harpers are 'good' and their goals are what I would describe as 'good'... :)

"Hmmm. The Harpers would not object to your fighting against such a repressive organization, but I do not see the problem. I do not require his presence, merely yours. He can rescue his sister without you."

I see. A clever way out, I agree. :P

"Reviane. The ring," Jaheira said, and Reviane passed over a gold ring with the inscription of the Harp. "Once I put this on," Jaheira explained, "I will be committed to the inquisition, but no Harper will be able to harm me, nor think about harming me. I will be...totally safe," she said, but with obvious lack of enthusiasm.

Well, I think in the end it's for the better... I don't think she would be really happy in this party and it is much more dangerous to stay beside Kal than to do her regular Harper work.

"I do not think I understand," Viconia whispered back.

"Oh, I think you do," Jaheira whispered, and then moved on.

That's really sweet from Jaheira. :)

"It's not goodbye, Jaheira. We'll...we'll see each other again. What's a few years between friends?" His tone was light, but he was blinking back tears.

Yes, he cares about her, just not the way she would want... :)

"That...was what I was afraid of," Jaheira said, and leaned forward and kissed him gently, on the lips. "Be...well."

Awwww...

Then she turned away and put the ring on, taking a deep breath as its magic bound itself to her. And without turning around, she moved away, leaving Kal to simply watch as she walked out the door...and out of his life.

Aww, so that's it for Jaheira in this story? I am going to miss her. Well, I suppose we can always assume that she found someone and lived happy enough... but it sure would be nice to know that :)

If you don't mind me a asking a technical question - when Elminster gives Jaheira the Harper Pin, does she gets promoted to the status of Master Harper (with all those nifty deity-granted powers) or is she just reinstated as a regular (True Harper)?

#6 Darkwolf Shadowwalker

Posted 18 August 2003 - 05:58 AM

Just a quick comment... I'm a Jaheira fan, always was my favorite in both games, but I did like the alternate ending, in a way. It wasn't a 'needless' death, and it did give her dignity.

Either way, well written.

#7 Laufey

Posted 18 August 2003 - 07:59 AM

Well, since I'm making it up, I'd say that it would require a panel of, say, eight Master Harpers and eight Heralds to hear the case. The way the Harpers work, no one knows who all the Master Harpers are, much less the way to get them the information that an Inquisition has been called and that they need to make arrangements to shuffle current projects off on to capable subordinates. The time taken for those arrangements eats into it, as well. In this case, the Harpers' lack of true organization and cell-like distribution works against them. Each Master Harper would have only one or two contacts, well hidden, and the contacts themselves would have contacts of their own and so on. Such a system defends well against enemies, and usually the Harpers don't need to undo the web themselves, so long as it works. When they need to do it, though, it can take them just as long as anyone else.

Does that make sense?

Yes, I think it does. It goes to show how secrecy can really work against you sometimes.
Rogues do it from behind.

#8 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:17 AM

Did anyone ever tell them that fanatically clinging to "the balance" is, in itself, an extremist view?????

"Hmmm. The Harpers would not object to your fighting against such a repressive organization, but I do not see the problem.

Silly harpers, they would fight any organization that is against "the balance" even if those organizations were trying to benefit society.

I do not require his presence, merely yours. He can rescue his sister without you."

"We also seek Khalid's killer."

"And he can also do that without you. You must leave with us."

"That...I...I cannot do that." Jaheira stammered.

"Jaheira is an important member of the party," Kal said, picking up smoothly as he saw Jaheira faltering.

Yes, but reviane is right, there is little other option.

"Of course," Reviane said, a little suspiciously. "But this is the only way we can end this without a fight. Jaheira, I offer you a peaceful way out. Think carefully. If not, you will have to prove your case...by yourself."

And if she runs, she makes herself look guilthy, it's a dilemma.

There was no other way

Hunter

#9 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:31 AM

[quote]
"Jaheira...we are Harpers. When did we ever care about the truth?" And with that, Reviane advanced, sword and shield at the ready.
[/quote]

Why did she say that?

[quote]
Kal could not remember what happened next, but Keldorn and Yoshimo certainly did. In a single bound, Kal leaped half the length of the room, glittering claws at full extension.

He has claws?

[quote]
"‘Bye...Kal...love you...."
[/quote]

:)

#10 Guest_argan_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 11:31 AM

Actually, although I am quite a fan of Jaheira-stories, I preferred the second ending. She wouldnt have to live with it, there.

I take it she's gone now for the story forever?

Theodur is gonna have a fit :lol:

In any case, great chapter!

#11 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 02:28 PM

I've spent the last week reading your story in the Cellar - it's great stuff.

I'm glad you chose the first ending for this chapter, not only because I like Jaheira but also because it means that Kal doesn't have to deal with the death of another friend. Having both Minsc and Jaheira leave his company in quick succession must be hard enough on him as it is.

#12 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 03:18 PM

Why did she say that?

Because they don't.

The Harpers aren't interested in the truth, and they certainly aren't interested in justice or otherwise they'd be lawful good. The Harpers divide the world into two parts: what they can control and what they can't. Their objective is to put more of the world into the first category. Truth has little to do with that.

He has claws?

Has since chapter two. He used them again in chapters 6, 7, 12, and 21.

:lol:

Yeah, I know.... I wrote it, but didn't really want to use it.

#13 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 03:31 PM

Heh, so I did guess it, even though I had a tip. Jaheira makes her exit. :lol:

Yes, but not because Anomen will join. Viconia's in the party, that's enough healing for anyone.

Well, I'm thankful that you made this the official version. I took a little glance at the alternate version and... ugh - I better not read it indeed, that sorta thing would normally turn me off from reading a story further. Well, no worries now.

Hence the warnings.

Having read the Code of The Harpers, I find this even more interesting - I wonder though, iirc, Galvarey was looking to become a Herald - am I wrong? I guess in Herald's position he would have access to a huge source of info and with that had the politicial power.

That was an error on Bio's part. A reading of the Code of the Harpers shows that the Heralds and Harpers are actually two separate organizations. You cannot promote a Harper to the Heralds any more than a lieutenant in the Navy can become a colonel in the Air Force. You'll note that my own chapter (30) corrects Galvarey to desiring to be a Master Harper.

How is being a paladin a threat to the balance? Just because he is 'good'? But most folks amongst Harpers are 'good' and their goals are what I would describe as 'good'... :D

A paladin is lawful good, which is two steps away from true neutral. That can get in the way. Most folks amongst Harpers are not good, they are neutral, and while their goals are good, their methods are....sketchy. You cannot describe an organization that relies on deceit, treachery and assassination as really "good".

Well, I think in the end it's for the better... I don't think she would be really happy in this party and it is much more dangerous to stay beside Kal than to do her regular Harper work.

She won't be doing any regular Harper work. She's going to be sent back to Twilight Hall in Berdusk and she's going to stay there until the situation is resolved. She'll be in danger during the trip, but not afterwards.

Yes, he cares about her, just not the way she would want... :)

Right. Sometimes, that happens.

Aww, so that's it for Jaheira in this story? I am going to miss her. Well, I suppose we can always assume that she found someone and lived happy enough... but it sure would be nice to know that :)

It's her last appearance in a scene of substance with Kal, but...well, I'd hardly say it's her last appearance.

If you don't mind me a asking a technical question - when Elminster gives Jaheira the Harper Pin, does she gets promoted to the status of Master Harper (with all those nifty deity-granted powers) or is she just reinstated as a regular (True Harper)?

She's just reinstated as a True Harper...at least how I see it. The Athkatla region already has a Master Harper.

#14 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 03:39 PM

Just a quick comment... I'm a Jaheira fan, always was my favorite in both games, but I did like the alternate ending, in a way. It wasn't a 'needless' death, and it did give her dignity.

Either way, well written.

Thanks! When I originally decided that Jaheira would die, I made sure to construct a situation where she passed on with dignity. Which is, in part, the reason why the real chapter sounds a little forced, because I had to adapt the situation when I decided she wouldn't die after all.

#15 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 03:43 PM

Did anyone ever tell them that fanatically clinging to "the balance" is, in itself, an extremist view?????

Probably. But Harpers have a way of not hearing people they don't want to hear.

Silly harpers, they would fight any organization that is against "the balance" even if those organizations were trying to benefit society.

Mostly correct. Their reasoning is that eventually, it would grow larger and thus corrupt. Especially beneficial organizations, since people could grow dependent on them, which gives the organization control over them...and Harpers resent anyone but themselves having control.

There was no other way

Oh, there was. But not a good one.

#16 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 03:54 PM

Actually, although I am quite a fan of Jaheira-stories, I preferred the second ending. She wouldnt have to live with it, there.

Well, losing Kal isn't really the end of her life. It's less so than losing Khalid was, and she coped well with that.

Not exactly.

Oh, he seems to be dealing with it fine :)

#17 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 04:13 PM

I've spent the last week reading your story in the Cellar - it's great stuff.

Thank you!

I'm glad you chose the first ending for this chapter, not only because I like Jaheira but also because it means that Kal doesn't have to deal with the death of another friend. Having both Minsc and Jaheira leave his company in quick succession must be hard enough on him as it is.

Yeah, dealing with Jaheira's death would be...difficult, I should think, and not something I'd particularly like writing. Anyway, by leaving her alive I can move on quicker, and Jaheira's not all gone yet.

#18 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 06:26 PM

Because they don't.

The Harpers aren't interested in the truth, and they certainly aren't interested in justice or otherwise they'd be lawful good. The Harpers divide the world into two parts: what they can control and what they can't. Their objective is to put more of the world into the first category. Truth has little to do with that.

Oh, i certainly agree. What confused me was that such organizations usually try to maintain an image of being right about their point of view.

As such i wouldn't expect them to actually say it out loud.

Kinda' like if a political party made a public statement that like this:

"You know, we really don't care about doing anything good for the world"

"we just want power!"

Not going to happen!

But perhaps reviane says it because she expects them to die anyway.

#19 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 07:20 PM

Because they don't.

Oh, i certainly agree. What confused me was that such organizations usually try to maintain an image of being right about their point of view.

Absolutely wrong. Harpers pay little attention to what the general populace thinks about them - think of Tethyr, where Harpers are despised and loathed (see Jaheira romance lovetalks for the reasons) for a deed that they didn't even commit. Elmo and the new royal couple could easily present the evidence that would clear Harper hands from that incident and they would become more tolerated amongst the folk, yet they won't do it. Being popular is not the goal of Harpers.

"we just want power!"

Not going to happen!

Harpers do not crave for power, political, economical or whatsoever. Do not base your assumptions on what you see in the game. Harpers actually work to prevent the power being concentrated in one place. At least that is amongst their goals - of course there are bound to be bad seeds like Galvarey in any organization. Also, Harpers are pretty much the only 'good' organization that opposes the countless 'evil' organizations like Zhentarim, Cult Of The Dragon, Red Wizards, Rundeen, Twisted Rune... nah, but I guess its too easy to bash them only because you hate Galvarey, Dermin or Elminster.

#20 Guest_argan_*

Posted 18 August 2003 - 07:21 PM

Well, losing Kal isn't really the end of her life. It's less so than losing Khalid was, and she coped well with that.

Not exactly.

Oh, he seems to be dealing with it fine :)

I bet he didnt even read the second part :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com