The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K Le Guin

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Two-Socks_*

Posted 20 December 2002 - 09:31 AM

Hiya folks,

In case any of you have found a lull in your holiday break and was wondering what to read? Well, why not try something quite completely different? I picked up this book recently and I could kick myself for never ever having read Ms. Le Guin sooner. I love this book, but it is not sword and sorcery fantasy like I had recommended before (i.e. Fritz Leiber). It is more Science Ficiton... where the science is more in anthropology and the study of cultures. It is more thought-provoking and provides interesting pictures of human behavior.

A brief plot synopsis: an ambassador from Earth lands on a planet called "Gethen" to offer an alliance with the culture there. While he is negotiating the alliance, he learns about the people there and befriends one of the high-ranking officals. The twist here, is that Gethen is a culture built around a people that are both male and female. How is that possible? I will let you find that out. :twisted:

One of the really nice features of the book is how Ms. Le Guin inserts myth and legend, much like reading a parable or an Aesop fable. I personally love reading short fairy tales, folk lore, and myth. She has created myths of her own that offer an insight into the alien culture she writes about and augment nicely with the story.

It also one of the coolest titles I've seen for a book. ;)

-- Two-Socks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com