A Dark Path: Chapter 2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 11 August 2003 - 08:34 PM

Warning: Very brief bedroom scene with two men, though nothing particularly graphic. If you don’t like it, just skip the first couple of paragraphs.

Chapter 2: A Decision

Edwin’s hands stroking his chest, gradually moving lower and lower…the wizard’s lips brushing the back of his neck…the feel of his lover’s body against his own, his beard brushing against the side of his face…

For Kane Theaza, warrior, thief and ex-Bhaalspawn, there was no better way to be woken up, no matter how early it was. He gave a contented sigh and pressed back against Edwin’s chest, turning his head slightly so that his lover’s mouth could find his.

“I love you, Eddie,” he whispered and he really meant it. Kane Theaza had had many lovers, seduced countless girls over the years, but he had never found anyone who could make him feel complete, not until Edwin Odesseiron had come along.

“And I love you,” the wizard replied simply, gently biting his ear. “Now just let me show you how much…”

They were interrupted by someone banging loudly on their front door. Kane groaned and Edwin scowled.

“Ignore them,” he whispered, planting a kiss on Kane’s shoulder. “It can’t be anyone important, not this early. They’ll go away.”

“No!” When he listened hard, Kane could swear he heard an animal whining. “Edwin, I’m sure I can hear Sol-leks out there. Stay here, I’ll be back in a minute.”

The banging started again as he pulled on his trousers, although it was weaker this time. The warrior hurried through the kitchen and quickly opened the door, to find his younger sister and her wolf companion on the doorstep.

“Emma?” Still half asleep, and not as alert as he normally was, he stared blankly at her for a second before his eyes were drawn to her side. The half-elf had her cloak pressed against her wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding, but blood was still leaking through the thin cloth. The colour had almost completely drained from her face and Kane, realising that she was seriously hurt, suddenly came alert.

“Eddie!” he called urgently over his shoulder. “Get your backside out of bed. I need a healing potion. Now!”

He reached for Emma and his younger sister leant against him as he half guided, half carried her inside and helped her to sit down on one of their kitchen chairs. She didn’t speak as he knelt in front of her and gently removed her hand and cloak, didn’t make a sound even when he winced slightly at the deep and open wound. Whoever had done it had meant business, an inch or so higher and the warrior knew that it could well have pierced some vital organs. He gently touched the wound, which was burning hot, and suddenly understood why his sister, who had fought mind flayers, dragons, beholders, wizards, vampires and countless other things over the years and taken damage from them all, was in so much pain. The blade that had caused this injury had been more than it seemed.

“Edwin!” he called impatiently, knowing that he had to be quick. “Healing potion and antidote, now! Emma’s been poisoned!”

“She’s what?” the wizard appeared in the doorway, a blue potion bottle in one hand and a green one in the other. His black robes with silver trimming, the robes he had made himself after turning his back on the Red Wizards, were in disarray, as though he had just thrown them on. His dark eyes widened as they fell on the half-elf. “Is she going to be all right?”

“I hope so,” As he came closer, Kane grabbed the antidote from his hand, pulled the cork from the top and put it to Emma’s mouth. “But it has taken effect fast, so it must be powerful stuff. She’s already weak…I just hope we aren’t too late.”

As soon as he was sure that she had drunk all the antidote, Kane took the bottle away and replaced it with the healing potion. As Sol-leks licked her hand, the half-elf obediently drunk it all. It took only a moment for the potions to take effect and Emma could feel herself growing stronger as the poison was neutralised. The wound still hurt quite a bit, a single healing potion had done little more than slow down the bleeding and make it a big less painful, and she still felt weak from the blood she had lost, but she knew now that she wasn’t going to die.

“It was…” she started weakly, but Kane immediately shook his head.

“Don’t speak!” he ordered. “Let me clean you up first. Eddie, get me a damp cloth.”

The wizard did as his lover ordered, then sat down beside Emma and took her hand as Kane began to clean the wound. He was as gentle as possible, but the half-elf still winced in pain occasionally and gripped Edwin’s hand, though not a sound passed her lips. She had been an adventurer before and so she was used to being hurt.

“Assassins again?” he asked, when he was certain that her wound was clean enough to not get infected. Emma nodded, still fairly weak. “What do they want?”

“I…don’t know,” she shrugged and shook her head. “I don’t know.”

“Whoever sent them obviously means business,” Edwin pointed out. “The assassins we fought were both powerful and intelligent.”

“If I hadn’t had Sol-leks…” Emma trailed off, unable to go on. “Kane, I feel really tired. Can I lie down here for a while? I can’t face going back to the cabin alone.”

“Of course.” Kane exchanged a quick glance with Edwin and then nodded. “You can lie down in our room. We’ll be just out here.”

She nodded and left the room, Sol-leks beside her. Kane watched her go and shook his head thoughtfully.

“What is going on here?” he asked, more to himself than Edwin. “Edwin, go and get Jaheira and Benny from the inn, will you? We’ve got to get to the bottom of this and fast.”

“I’m not sure what to do,” Benny admitted, pacing up and down Kane’s kitchen. “Perhaps if we knew why these assassins were after her…”

“Could be revenge,” Kane shrugged his shoulders. “Could be because she was a Bhaalspawn, could be for a number of reasons. Personally I’d go with revenge…but I just don’t know.”

“What is clear is that these assassins, and whoever they work for, mean business,” Jaheira cut in. “This is the third time she’s been attacked in a ten-day. We’ve all fought them, we all know that they are indeed powerful…and today’s events just show that Emma is in real danger.”

“The question is,” Edwin finished. “What are we going to do about it? I suppose we could always make sure that one of us is with her at all times…but that isn’t going to solve anything in the long run.”

“No,” Kane agreed. “I’ve been thinking; we need to get to the bottom of this and ensure that Emma is protected at the same time. Can’t we hire someone, someone who isn’t involved in any way, to protect her while we attempt to find out what is going on?”

“I suppose that is something to consider,” Jaheira agreed and Benny and Edwin nodded too. “I’m certain that Benny could find someone…”

“Don’t I get a say in this?” Emma asked suddenly from the doorway. “I don’t want a bodyguard…”

“Emma,” Kane said patiently. “It’s for your own good. You’ll thank us one day.”

“He is right, child,” Jaheira agreed. “These assassins mean business and your life is in danger…”

“I don’t need anyone to protect me,” she said firmly. “And especially not a stranger. Aren’t you four enough?”

“We can’t stay with you constantly,” Benny shook his head. “And in any case, it could be dangerous. If these assassins are after you to take revenge on me or Kane or Edwin, to be around us even more will just put you in more danger. We need someone who has nothing to do with any of us…”

“Fine,” the half-elf shrugged and turned away, knowing that it was pointless to argue with Benny, Kane and Jaheira. “Do as you like, though I still think it’s a waste of time. Come Sol-leks.” She turned and went back into the bedroom, slamming the door shut behind her.

“She’ll come round,” Edwin said finally, glancing round at the other three. “She’ll see that it’s for the best.”

“I really do hope so,” Kane looked at the closed bedroom door and then glanced at Benny. “Benny, can you find someone for us?”

“Anyone?” the assassin asked. Kane considered this for a moment.

“Yes,” he agreed. “Anyone as long as they know their stuff and you think they are trustworthy. I trust your judgement, Benny, you get whoever you think is right for the job and I won’t argue with your decision. As long as they can protect Emma, that’s all I care about right now.”

Two days later, his face hidden beneath his dark cloak, Benny entered one of the rougher taverns of Riativin, a small town south of the Druid Grove. If rumours were to be believed, not to mention what the young halfling had told him after the scarred assassin had threatened him with painful death; the man he was looking for could be found here.

He sunk into the shadows in order to avoid the common thieves, the thugs and the drunks. The whole tavern stunk of ale, blood and vomit and Benny couldn’t help but wonder why his old friend had chosen that tavern of all places to stay in. In one of the corners, several men playing a card game had come to blows and a dice game in another corner looked to soon go the same way. And in the third corner, sitting alone away from everyone else, was the man he had been looking for. None other than Artemis Entreri, one of the greatest assassins in Faerun and an old friend of his.

The shapeshifter stayed where he was for a moment, cloaked in the shadows, just watching the other assassin from afar. From what he could see, Entreri really hadn’t changed much since the two had last come into contact, though well over a year had passed since then. Benny studied his old friend for a moment, almost thoughtfully, the lean and sharp-featured face, the long and thick black hair pulled back from the assassin’s face. At least he had shaved off the ridiculous beard he had had when Benny had seen him last, all he had now was some faint, dark stubble on his chin. He was leaning forward slightly, taking care to keep his weapons hidden beneath his black cloak, his arms resting on the tabletop.

But although he seemed relaxed, the shapeshifter knew that underneath the cloak, the assassin’s muscles were tense and he was ready to spring into action at any moment. Artemis Entreri never relaxed completely, never let his guard down, especially when drinking in a tavern like this. Occasionally he’d glance around him, narrowing his grey eyes at anyone who dared to come too close to his table. And now and again he would look directly at the spot where Benny was standing, leaving the shapeshifter in no doubt that Entreri knew that someone was there, even if he didn’t know who it was. It was time to reveal himself.

Swiftly he stepped from the shadows. Someone made a grab for the purse he wore on his belt and in one smooth move, taking care not to remove the hood from his face, Benny drew one of his daggers and brought it down on the man’s wrist. The man cried out, clutching at the stump where his hand had just been and staggering backwards. The assassin smirked under his hood and continued on his way, taking no notice of anyone around him, not stopping until he was directly in front of Entreri. The other assassin looked up, a scowl on his face. But before he could speak, Benny threw back his hood.

“Greetings Artemis,” he said simply. “It is good to see you again.”

#2 Guest_Kismet_*

Posted 12 August 2003 - 12:48 PM

Very interesting. I'm guessing that that amulet is involved in some way with the assassins.

I did find it kind of strange that no one even mentioned trying to get a hold of Kelsey, after all he is a powerful sorcerer (as well as a guy who can get you a good deal on a new pair of shoes). Or does everybody BUT Kelsey know that Emma isn't particularly happy in her marriage?

Looking forward to see what happens next.

#3 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 15 August 2003 - 01:25 PM

Very interesting. I'm guessing that that amulet is involved in some way with the assassins.

*grins* Perhaps. We'll just have to wait and see.

I did find it kind of strange that no one even mentioned trying to get a hold of Kelsey, after all he is a powerful sorcerer (as well as a guy who can get you a good deal on a new pair of shoes). Or does everybody BUT Kelsey know that Emma isn't particularly happy in her marriage?

Well they don't really know exactly where Kelsey is at the moment, which makes getting hold of him kind of difficult. But there are other reasons too, which will be addressed in future chapters.

Looking forward to see what happens next.

Thanks for commenting. :P

Silver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com