Blue Twins Chapter Two: Journey to The Friendly Arm

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Dark-Mage_*

Posted 11 August 2003 - 06:57 PM

Here is chapter two and I would once again like to thank Silver :roll:, all comments will be welcomed. :lol:

Chapter Two: Journey to The Friendly Arm

Leen and Imoen walked along the Lion’s Way, with their destination being the Friendly Arm Inn.

They had left the place that was now the site of Gorion’s grave and had travelled along the road that lead away from Candlekeep, which connected to the Lion’s Way. A short distance up the road, they encountered a pair of dubious looking characters. One was a halfling, wearing studded leather and carrying a short sword, and the other was a human, that who looked to be a mage of some sort, he was wearing an emerald green robe and looked rather mad.

After a short discussion, the mage gave Leen a potion that he claimed was a healing potion, and asked if they would accompany them down to Nashkell. After sharing a quick glance with Imoen, Leen politely refused, saying that they had other places that they need to be, and so they left continuing on their journey.

Leen turned as she heard the sound of approaching footsteps. An old human male, wearing red robes, a red pointed hat and a grey beard was walking towards them. As soon as he came within speaking distance, they heard him speak in a quite and wise voice.

“Ho there wanderer. Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man. It's been nigh unto a tenday since I've seen a soul walking this road, and I've been without decent conversation since. Travelling nowadays appears to be the domain of either the desperate or the deranged, if thou wouldn’t pardon my intrusion, might I inquire which pertains to thee?” He said.

“Not to imply anything, but how do you measure up to your own standards? Pestering strangers about their mental state doesn't seem all that well adjusted to me,” Leen replied. She smiled as she heard Imoen trying not to laugh behind her back.

“Point well taken, and thou hast answered my query most adequately. I shall think of thee as determined instead. I shall trouble thee no more, as thou art more than capable of the task at hand. North is the Friendly Arm Inn, where I am certain thou shalt find trustworthy friends awaiting. I have said too much and taken too much time from thee. Fare thee well.”

With that, the old man turned and left in the direction of Candlekeep. “Who was that?” Imoen asked in obvious amusement.

“No idea,” Leen replied and with that, they continued on their journey.

A short distance up the road, they found a signpost that showed Candlekeep to the west, Beregost to the south and the Friendly Arm Inn to the north. As they were studying the signpost, they heard a loud screeching from behind them. Both Leen and Imoen turned to discover a small purplish creature advancing towards them. Leen ran forwards holding her bastard sword.

As she drew closer to the creature, it swung at her with a clawed hand and narrowly missed. Leen felt something fly past her ear and she saw an arrow strike the creature in its chest. It fell to the floor, badly wounded but not dead. Leen quickly advanced upon it and with a downward slash she ended its life.

“What was that thing?” Imoen asked, as she moved to stand beside Leen.

“A gibberling, I think.”

“Their ugly little things aren’t they.”

Leen laughed “your right they are, there are also probably more around here as well so we should be careful.”

Imoen nodded, before she fell in line beside Leen as they set off again.

After around half a day of travelling and a few more encounters with gibberlings, they reached a part of the road that passed by a small cliffy area. As they were walking through, on there guard as they were expecting another gibberling attack, they heard a loud thudding noise from somewhere nearby.

From out of the trees, just ahead of them, emerged a large, green skinned ogre carrying a large morning star.

Upon seeing the two companions, it shouted, “I will crush you, crush you to goo!” although its speech was barely audible.

It charged at them. “Stay back and use your arrows,” Leen advised Imoen, before she charged to meet the ogre head on. They swung their respective weapons at the same time and they clashed against each other loudly. The Ogres superior strength enabled it to forced Leen’s weapon down towards the ground. However, she pulled it free and backed away a little, looking for the next attack opportunity.

As the ogre and Leen circled each other, an arrow struck the ogre in the shoulder, causing it to scream loudly and charge once more at Leen, swinging its weapon violently. Leen managed to dive out the way and take an offensive position behind its back. She lunged forward at the ogre, striking it and leaving a huge gash in its back. The ogre screamed once more, but this time it was a scream of pain. It turned around to face Leen, earning itself an arrow in the back, just above the wound caused by her bastard sword.

They both swung their weapons once again, the ogre’s morning star and Leen’s bastard sword clashed in mid air, but this time Leen’s sword glanced off the morning star and struck the ogre in the chest, causing a light wound.

It swung its morning star again and this time, Leen wasn’t able to avoid it. It struck her in the stomach, her grip loosened on her sword and she flew back a few feet.

She managed to regain her footing and saw her sword still embedded in the ogre, who had now turned its attention to Imoen. Leen withdrew her magical dagger from her belt and snuck quickly and quietly towards it.

Just as it was about to swing its weapon at Imoen, Leen’s dagger hit its mark, killing the ogre.

It fell to the floor face down, impaling itself even more on the bastard sword of Leen.

After checking to see if Imoen was hurt, Leen bent down to retrieve her weapons and also discovered some gold and two girdles on the ogre.

After catching their breath for a few minutes, they continued on their journey with Imoen now talking excitedly about the fact that they had just killed an ogre.

As the sun began to set and night was drawing closer, they saw the outline of a fortress in the distance.

They had arrived at the Friendly Arm Inn.

#2 Guest_ShadowHunter_*

Posted 11 August 2003 - 09:14 PM

another good chapter. I liked the fight, although im curious as to how leen just got up and walked away after a morning star swing to her stomach.

-sh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com