Hunter or the Hunted: Part 2 Chapter 2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 09 August 2003 - 05:28 AM

Just to forewarn you, this is something of a longish chapter, and it may be a little rambly. I just had all four of my wisdom teeth out yesterday, and I think I'm somewhat under the influence of heavy duty painkillers. I would have waited to post this chapter until I was a little more normal, but I really wanted to get it out while I was feeling inspired to get it done. Please feel free to point out any obvious results of my altered state, since I haven't been as careful with grammar and whatnot as I usually am. Other than that, enjoy yourself. I'm going to hold an icepack against jaws until they stop aching so I can get some sleep. Wish me luck.

-Blue

Chapter 2

Yoshimo spent two long hours considering his situation. The captain seemed to be reasonably trustworthy. He didn't have the same air of menace that Hiruma had. Of course Yoshimo had never met an... elf... before, so he didn't know how to read one as well as he might another human. Then again, the captain was some sort of holy man -as well as a... wizard- and holy men, at least the truly devout ones, were generally trustworthy.

Then again, he couldn't be sure. Who knew what the people of this bizarre 'Fay-roon' place were like, this foreign land where one might meet an elf or a wizard. The whole place could be full of oni for all he knew. If it wasn't, the people who lived there did a damn good job of impersonating oni anyway, so they might be just as bad. He was just grateful that the captain's cabin didn't stink to the heavens the way the rest of the ship did. Perhaps it was because he was an elf. Perhaps elf were cleaner than human gaijin; the captain was certainly less hairy and unkempt than the other men he'd seen in the port and on the ship, even if he was rather ugly. He shuddered to think what a elf woman might look like... all bony and angular, like a child's crude drawing, her eyes too big for her face; pale and cold like fish scales.

That image deserved a good douse of sake to scrub it from his mind, but since there was no sake to be had Yoshimo decided to try out this 'burandi' the captain had mentioned. He reached for the flask, uncorked it, and sniffed at the opening. When his nose didn't burn off, he took a tentative sip. It tasted... different. It was far flung from the familiar taste of sake, but it wasn't precisely bad despite that. It warmed his throat as it slid down into his belly, where it burned like the embers in a dying fire, slow and comforting, and not too hot.

A scuttling sound announced to Yoshimo that Ratty had decided to leave his hiding place and see what was going on. The rat climbed up the table leg and nosed around the flask, turning his dark, beady little eyes on Yoshimo, as if pleading with him.

Yoshimo laughed and scratched Ratty behind one of his pinkish ears. "I think not, little friend. I wonder what would happen if you got drunk, hmm? I doubt the captain would be too pleased." He recorked the flask. "If you can get it yourself, feel free." Ratty, apparently unable to understand him, squeaked irritably and went back to his hiding place, disappearing with an indignant swish of his tail.

Since there was nothing else to do, Yoshimo decided to have a look around the cabin. All the furnishings were attached to either the floor or the wall, and both where it could be done, but it was well outfitted and well maintained. The one loose item was a long rectangular chest that sat against the outer wall. It had a large, heavy lock and probably held either the money that the ship made, the captain's more valuable belongings, or perhaps even both. Yoshimo's fingers twitched, and he absentmindedly reached for the lock picks and other tools he had hidden away in the folds of his clothes. It would be an easy enough lock to open up, it was large, but a mistake that people often made was in thinking that the bigger a lock they got the harder it would be to remove. That might be the case if one was trying to force the lock open or to break it, but a big lock opened just as easily under practiced fingers as a small one. Then again, the bigger the lock the easier is was to trap.

Balancing easily as the ship crashed over a particularly large wave, Yoshimo made his way over to the chest, bent down and examined it. No, there was no trap, and the lock looked poorly made. An easy thing to open if he took the time. He wasn't planning on taking anything, of course, he just wanted to see what, if anything, was inside. He was just curious, and it wouldn't hurt to look. He could lock it again just as easily as he could unlock it in the first place. The captain wouldn't even know he'd looked.

A crimson glint flashed just at the edge of Yoshimo's vision, and he turned and saw Ratty crouching under the captain's altar looking very suspicious. Yoshimo took one last look at the chest and decided that perhaps he ought to leave it alone unless he knew that both the captain and Ratty were well away from the cabin. He didn't know how much a wizard knew of what his familiar saw, but he didn't want to take the risk of the captain knowing that he had opened up the locked chest.

Instead, Yoshimo stood up and took a look around the rest of the cabin. A desk was built against the right wall of the cabin, and that looked like a more promising source of interesting things anyway. It had many drawers, but no locks, which meant if things came down to it, Yoshimo could claim innocence, since the captain, if he really wanted to keep something safe, would have locked it up. Sitting on top of the desk, there was a heavy, leather bound, square-ish object. It had sheets of paper stuck in it, and opened like box might. He opened it up, and examined the first sheet of paper. He was surprised to find it covered with kanji, though the sentences they formed made no sense to him at all, and some of the kanji he didn't even know, which was odd, considering he had been well schooled in caligraphy and reading while he had lived with his family. He thought for a moment that the words might mean something in Shou, since -though people generally didn't like to talk about it- Wa had long ago adopted the Shou characters for writing and they had changed very little since. There were also many strange symbols that didn't resemble kanji at all on the paper, and they were arranged in such a jumble that it began to make Yoshimo's head spin just to look at them. He paged through the rest of the papers, and found half of them written on in the same manner as the first.

Shaking his head, Yoshimo put the thing down and decided to check the drawers. The middle drawer was wide and quite tall, and contained a number of very interesting little things: a capped pot of some sort of ink, a few strange writing utensils, sheets of paper, both blank and written on, a curiously well preserved rose, wax, a seal, and a number of little knicknacks, like a tiger made out of some sort of slippery green-gray stone, a few badly folded origami cranes, a wooden carving of a horse, and a glass dome over a tiny replica of a winter landscape. When Yoshimo picked up that last item he found that it was filled with some sort of liquid and had little white specks in it that, when disturbed, made it look like snow was falling inside the dome.. He enjoyed shaking the dome and watching the "snow" fall for several minutes before putting it back in the drawer and looking at some of the other items more closely.

He peered hopelessly at the papers that had been scribbled on, wondering how exactly anyone could decipher the loops and swirls that covered it back and front. Another paper was covered in what had to be a different language from the writting on the first, since it's loops and swirls weren't so much loopy and swirly as curved and tappered. Another paper had yet another type of writing on it, and this time the characters were straight and angular.

With nothing else sparking his interest in the middle drawer, Yoshimo put away the papers just as he had found them, closed it up and looked through the other drawers. A number of them were disappointingly empty, but several contained an odd assortment of things, including but not limited to, small samples of hair from a variety of animals, a vial of what looked like cow dung, tiny, corked tubes filled with various unidentifiable liquids and solids, and most disturbingly, a box of small, live spiders. Yoshimo shut that box up quickly and closed the drawer, not wanting to invesitage further for fear of what he might find.

It was good that he did, since it was at about that time that the captain returned to the cabin with a wooden tray heaped with what Yoshimo suspected was food; he wasn't sure because it looked like no food he had ever before encounted. It looked suspiciously like the side of some sort of animal that had been cooked over a fire and heavily seasoned. Along side that was a chunk of very hard-looking bread and an orange, which seemed completely out of place.

The captain repeated his earlier performance with the clay statuette and asked, "How have you been faring?"

"I've been fine," Yoshimo replied.

"Did you try the brandy?"

"Yes, a little."

"Wonderful! What did you think of it?"

"It wasn't bad."

The captain chuckled. "If my brother could hear you say that he would die of shock."

Yoshimo felt confused, but didn't press the subject any further. "I see," he said.

"Are you hungry, then?" The captain asked, proffering the tray. Yoshimo's stomach answered for him, growling like a caged tiger. The captian set the tray down on the table and gestured for Yoshimo to have a seat in his chair. "I dug an orange out of our supplies so as to ward off scurvy," he said. "The bread's a bit old, but it hasn't gone moldy yet, so it should be edible, and the mutton may be a tad ripe, but I doubt it will do you any harm. Besides which, if you get ill I can fix you right up."

Sitting down, Yoshimo looked at the... mutton... with consternation. It smelled all right, but then again, he was very hungry. "What is... eh... ma... mut-ton?" he asked.

"Meat from a sheep."

"A what?"

"You know, a sheep; wooly blighters with four legs and whatnot. Here, I'll show you." The captain pulled a bit of fuzz out of one of his pouches and said something indecipherable. The bit of fuzz vanished in a puff of smoke, and then a image of sheep appeared on the table. It frolicked about a bit, and then dissipated.

"I know what a sheep is," Yoshimo told him. "I... it is just that..." He floundered. "You would actually eat one?"

"Oh yes, they're quite good. I absolutely love lamb chops."

Yoshimo shuddered. He picked up the bread and gnawed on one end of it and found it just as hard as it looked. He set the bread down, picked up the orange, peeled it deftly and picked apart and ate the segments one by one. It wasn't the best orange ever, but he was hungry enough that the quality didn't really matter to him. When he was done, all that was left of the orange was the juice that had dribbled down his chin. His appetite piqued, he tried the bread again, and this time didn't let it daunt him.

Now all there was left was the... mutton. He was still ravenous, and though the thought of eating a sheep didn't appeal to him -in fact, it repulsed him- he figured that he would have to get used to gaijin food eventually. He peeled a sliver of meat away from the rest of the chunk with his fingers, holding it somewhat like someone would hold a poisonous snake, and popped it into his mouth before he could change his mind. It wasn't quite as bad as he imagined it would be, though the heavy spices did their job and almost entirely covered up the gaminess of the meat. There were religious proscriptions in Wa and her neighboring empire, Kozakura, against eating animal flesh, but there were also religious proscriptions against stealing, killing people, being wealthy, having sex and all the other usual things, and that had never stopped Yoshimo before.

Still, the idea that he'd just taken a bite out of his great-grandmother or whatever, did bother him a bit, and so he asked the Captain about the matter. "In Wa," he said, eating another tiny sliver of meat, "we don't eat sheep, or any other animals for that matter, and the people that kill cows to make leather from their skins are considered unclean. They count for even less then the rest of the non-people."

"Oh?" The captain asked. "I didn't know that. I have never traveled to your country before. May I ask why?"

"Well, first of all, the animal has a spirit just like you and I do, you know, and of course, people get reborn in the bodies of animals if they didn't lead good enough lives, so you never know if the animal you killed could be a relative of yours come back as a cow or something. It's like cannibalism."

"So, people in Wa are reincarnated as animals if they lived poor lives?"

"Of course. Doesn't that happen in Fay-roon?"

"No, not at all. There are spells that can allow a dead man to be reincarnated, but that's powerful magic, and it's not very common. When a person dies they go to the afterlife and their patron sends an emissary to retrieve their soul and take it to their patron's home plane, where they exist in whatever form fits their beliefs in life."

Yoshimo's eyes went wide. "You mean you can reach nirvana without even working for it?"

"Not quite. Ususally the cruel and evil people have cruel and evil patrons. Thus, when their souls are taken, they aren't necessarily sent to a pleasant afterlife. The more powerful become demons and devils and such, but the weaker souls become the building blocks that make up the cities of the Nine Hells and the Abyss. Good people find themselves in distictly more pleasant surroundings, but I wouldn't say that a good person does not work for their place in their patron's domain."

"Patron?"

"Yes, their patron God or Goddess."

"You have to pick just one?"

"Yes, or else you are considered one of the False and must serve in the City of the Dead for the rest of eternity. There are far more dire consequences if you fail to choose a patron all together."

"How many Gods are there in Fay-roon?"

"Sixty-nine, not including the various racial deities."

"Why so few?"

The captain chuckled. "I don't think anyone has ever considered Faerun to be lacking in deities, my boy."

Yoshimo shook his head in amazement. "In Wa it is said that their are eight million Gods, kami that rule over scared places, landmarks and unusual natural things, like boulders and giant trees and such. Sixty-nine is a very small number in comparison."

"Ah, but are those "kami" all true Gods; immortal, nearly all-powerful beings? Or are they powerful nature spirits? Servants of the Gods, perhaps."

Yoshimo scratch his neck. "Nature spirits I suppose," he admitted. "I'm not sure though; I'm not a holy man. I'm not even all that devout."

The captain nodded. "I understand. I would enjoy learning more about faith in your homeland, but I respect the fact that your own knowledge has limits. Perhaps I will go back one day and discuss the matter with a priest there."

"Would you tell me about the Gods of Fay-roon?"

The captain smiled. "I see out conversation has sparked your interest. I would be glad to discuss the various religions of Faerun with you. It happens to be one of my favorite topics."

"I woud appreciate that. You said there were 'dire consequences' for not having a patron, and I would like to avoid them."

"Don't feel rushed to choose," the captain cautioned. "We have yet to enter the lands where these rules apply, so you will have considerable time. Once we reach Faerun itself I would advise that you give the subject some serious though, perhaps visit with some priests of the faiths that you favor, and then make your final decision. I would hate for you to die and become part of Kelemvor's Wall."

"Is that the dire consequence?"

"Yes, the Wall is made up of the souls of the Faithless. They are slowly dissolved over the couse of time until the soul in question ceases to exist entirely. Not a pleasant fate, if you ask me. Thankfully Selune will welcome me into her fold when I die, so I need not worry about it."

"Ah, your Goddess... the ah... Moonmaiden, correct?"

The captain smiled. "Yes, I'm pleased you remembered. Shall I start my explanation with Her?"

"If you want."

Sitting down on his bunk, the captain clasped his hands over his knees and began. "As I mentioned before, Selune is the Goddess of the moon, but her domain also includes the stars, navigators, questers and good lycanthropes."

"Ri... er... lycan..."

Ly-can-thropes," the captain said slowly so that Yoshimo could learn the pronunciation. "Shapeshifters, either natural or turned by the bite of another lycanthrope."

"Oh, hengeyokai."

"What?"

"They're shapeshifters too, but you can't turn into a hengeyokai if you're bitten by one. I think. I've never actaully met one before."

"Well, they're not quite the same thing as lycanthropes then, but they are similar." Clearing his throat the captain continued, "However, I think we shall save shapeshifters of various sorts for another day's conversation, if that's all right with you."

Yoshimo nodded his assent.

The captain proceeded happily to explain in broad strokes the doctrine of his Goddess before moving on to describe several of the other faiths of Fay-roon. He paid just as much attention to outlining the other religions as he had his own, which surprised Yoshimo a little bit since he had expected some bias. He paid careful attention to what the captain was saying, but by the time the older man was bringing his explanation to a close all the information had become somewhat muddled in Yoshimo's head. It might have been the fact that all the names were nigh-unpronounceable, or the fact that the religons were so bizzare, but whatever the reason he was mixed up by the time the the captain decided to call it a night. He had had to recast his spell of communication twice during their conversation, and it had grown quite dark in the interim.

"It's getting late," the captain said, "and I need to check the ship before I perform my nightly devotions and prepare spells for tomorrow. One warning, I don't intend to prepare quite as many Tongues spells as I did yesterday. I will cast one in the morning before I leave so that I can explain what I want you to do for the day, but other than that I believe it will be to your benefit to try and learn our language rather than relying on me to facilitate communication for you. I will spend an hour with you each day teaching you the common tounge as best as I can, but other than that you are on your own. I trust you are competent and intelligent enough to pick it up by listening to the crew as you perform your duties on board."

Yoshimo was a little concerned, feeling something like a fish out of water as he realized that he would not only be being immersed in a strange culture, but not be able to communicate as he had been. He would no doubt make an ass of himself many times over before he learned to speak the gaijin language well enough to decipher their social customs. Hopefully he wouldn't make any drastic mistakes. "All right," he said. "If that is what you want."

"It is. Now, there is an extra pillow on my bed, and an extra blanket in my footlocker," the captain said, unlocking the chest at the foot of his bunk and drawing out a blanket. "Make yourself at home. I know that the deck is uncomfortable, but we havn't any extra bunks. I'm sure you will find it better than that cramped little hole you were sleeping in amongst the crates in the hold, though. I should be back before too long, though we probably won't be able to speak, so I'll say goodnight to you now, and save us both the confusion when I get back. Oh, and try not to step on Ratty in the dark. Goodnight, Yoshimo." The captain handed him the blanket and patted him on the head.

"Goodnight, Captain," Yoshimo replied, flinching a little at being patted like a well behaved puppy.

The captain nodded, looking quite pleased with himself, and left the cabin again.

Yoshimo took one of the pillows from the bunk, put the blanket out on the floor where he wouldn't be in the way of someone as they walked around the cabin, laid down and closed his eyes. He listened to the creaking of the hull and the noises from the crew outside, their shouts, their laughs, the sound of their shoes slapping against the deck, and he was a little jealous.

And a little homesick.

It hand't been so bad when he had been waiting restlessly to be discovered. Then every noise had been a threat, and his sense were fine tuned to detect them and react to anything that might jeapordize his life. He had been too busy trying to survive to think of what he had left behind. Now, though his life wasn't in danger, and his mind could turn to the things he had lost; the things he would never see again. He longed for the familiar sights; his room in Hiruma's household, Kaede's serene face, the garden, he even missed seeing Hana and Ayame, and he wondered how Kurenai was coping without him there to protect her. He missed hearing the nightly chanting of the monks as they passed through the city streets, the sounds of the city, the familiar music of the night. He missed the smell of good cooking, the saltiness of the food, the delicate flavor of a good cup of sake.

He missed his little sister, Tamoko, more thoroughly than ever as he realized that this time there was no chance he would ever see her again, no way he could keep his promise to her and get her safely away from her husband. He wondered if she would leave him after her child was born, and if she would go to Hiruma's household looking for him. What would she do if she found he wasn't there? Would she even regret that she had missed him? Would she have to stay there, and if she did would Kaede protect her as she did her apprentices? He worried about her insistently.

He began to consider the what ifs. What if he had just let Hiruma do as he pleased with Kurenai? Then he would have been there when his sister arrived and he would have been able to keep her safe. Perhaps though, he would never have found her again, since it was his interference with Hiruma's personal business that had caused him to be sent to the Miyazaki household in the first place. What if he had just stayed with Miyazaki? He might have been able to pull it off if he had really tried. He might not have enjoyed the courtly life, but he would have put up with it if it meant protecting Tamoko.

There were too mnay possibilities, he decided. Too many things that had gone wrong that shouldn't have. Too many things to worry about when he had to look toward the future instead of the past. He had left his family name behind when he had been disowned, and he had been glad to do it. He had left behind his life as the son of a samurai and adopted the life of a bounty hunter's apprentice without so much as a second thought. Now it was time to choose a new life, to leave the past behind again. He was no longer the wolf cub who trailed at its mother's side, learning how to hunt. Now he was the hunter, and there was no looking back.

To Be Continued

#2 Guest_Chantrys_*

Posted 13 August 2003 - 03:13 AM

I just had all four of my wisdom teeth out yesterday, and I think I'm somewhat under the influence of heavy duty painkillers.

*winces* Wisdom teeth are never fun. I remember when I had mine out. As far as pain went it wasn't too bad (though I also went heavy on the painkillers), but my adorable brother chose to torture me by eating french fries and tortilla chips and other "forbidden foods" right in front of me. Brat.

Hope you're feeling better now.

Then again, he couldn't be sure. Who knew what the people of this bizarre 'Fay-roon' place were like, this foreign land where one might meet an elf or a wizard. The whole place could be full of oni for all he knew.

You know, that's pretty accurate. :lol:

Perhaps elf were cleaner than human gaijin; the captain was certainly less hairy and unkepmt than the other men he'd seen in the port and on the ship, even if he was rather ugly. He shuddered to think what a elf woman might look like... all bony and angular, like a child's crude drawing, her eyes to big for her face; pale and cold like fish scales.

Since you said I could, I'll quietly point out a couple of typos. :lol:

unkempt
...her eyes too big for her face...

I wonder what Yoshi will think when he actually meets an elven woman.

He reached for the flask, uncorked it, and sniffed at the opening. When his nose didn't burn off, he took a tentative sip. It tasted... different. It was far flung from the familiar taste of sake, but it wasn't precisely bad despite that. It warmed his throat as it slid down into his belly, where it burned like the embers in a dying fire, slow and comforting, and not too hot.

See? It's not bad at all! Those Westerners can get something right...

A scuttling sound announced to Yoshimo that Ratty had decided to leave his hiding place and see what was going on. The rat climbed up the table leg and nosed around the flask, turning his dark, beady little eyes on Yoshimo, as if pleading with him.

Yoshimo laughed and scratched Ratty behind one of his pinkish ears. "I think not, little friend. I wonder what would happen if you got drunk, hmm? I doubt the captain would be too pleased." He recorked the flask. "If you can get it yourself, feel free." Ratty, apparently unable to understand him, squeaked irritably and went back to his hiding place, disappearing with an indignant swish of his tail.

:wink:

Balancing easily as the ship crashed over a particularly large wave, Yoshimo made his way over to the chest, bent down and examined it. No, there was no trap, and the lock looked poorly made. An easy thing to open if he took the time. He wasn't planning on taking anything, of course, he just wanted to see what, if anything, was inside.

Yuh-huh. I've heard that one before. :wink:

A crimson glint flashed just at the edge of Yoshimo's vision, and he turned and saw Ratty crouching under the captain's altar looking very suspicious. Yoshimo took one last look at the chest and decided that perhaps he ought to leave it alone unless he knew that both the captain and Ratty were well away from the cabin. He didn't know how much a wizard knew of what his familiar saw, but he didn't want to take the risk of the captain knowing that he had opened up the locked chest.

Now, see, if you'd been generous with the brandy, Ratty would be flat on his ass drunk and you could have done your "exploration" in peace.

He opened it up, and examined the first sheet of paper. He was surprised to find it covered with kanji, though the sentences they formed made no sense to him at all, and some of the kanji he didn't even know, which was odd, considering he had been well schooled in caligraphy and reading while he had lived with his family. He thought for a moment that the words might mean something in Shou, since -though people generally didn't like to talk about it- Wa had long ago adopted the Shou characters for writing and they had changed very little since. There were also many strange symbols that didn't resemble kanji at all on the paper, and they were arranged in such a jumble that it began to make Yoshimo's head spin just to look at them. He paged through the rest of the papers, and found half of them written on in the same manner as the first.

I continue to enjoy Yoshi's encounters with those wacky Faerun things. Really puts us in his world nicely. I'm guessing that he's looking at elven writing and not, say, magical scrolls?

With nothing else sparking his interest in the middle drawer, Yoshimo put away the papers just as he had found them, closed it up and looked through the other drawers. A number of them were disappointingly empty, but several contained an odd assortment of things, including but not limited to, small samples of hair from a variety of animals, a vial of what looked like cow dung, tiny, corked tubes filled with various unidentifiable liquids and solids, and most disturbingly, a box of small, live spiders. Yoshimo shut that box up quickly and closed the drawer, not wanting to invesitage further for fear of what he might find.

Urgh. Spell components. :lol:

"You know, a sheep; wooly blighters with four legs and whatnot. Here, I'll show you." The captain pulled a bit of fuzz out of one of his pouches and said something indecipherable. The bit of fuzz vanished in a puff of smoke, and then a image of sheep appeared on the table. It frolicked about a bit, and then dissipated.

"I know what a sheep is," Yoshimo told him. "I... it is just that..." He floundered. "You would actually eat one?"

:wink: Very nice.

"Oh?" The captain asked. "I didn't know that. I have never traveled to your country before. May I ask why?"

"Well, first of all, the animal has a spirit just like you and I do, you know, and of course, people get reborn in the bodies of animals if they didn't lead good enough lives, so you never know if the animal you killed could be a relative of yours come back as a cow or something. It's like cannibalism."

Careful...you'll put the Captain off his feed...

It might have been the fact that all the names were nigh-unpronounceable, or the fact that the religons were so bizzare, but whatever the reason he was mixed up by the time the the captain decided to call it a night. He had had to recast his spell of communication twice during their conversation, and it had grown quite dark in the interim.

...or the fact that the religions were so bizarre...

I confess, I'm feeling a bit like Yoshimo must have felt, but that might just be because I'm not terribly interested in the religions of Faerun. :twisted:

"It's getting late," the captain said, "and I need to check the ship before I preform my nightly devotions and prepare spells for tomorrow.

...before I perform...

Yoshimo was a little concerned, feeling something like a fish out of water as he realized that he would not only be being immersed in a strange culture, but not be able to communicate as he had been. He would no doubt make an ass of himself many times over before he learned to speak the gaijin language well enough to decipher their social customs. Hopefully he wouldn't make any drastic mistakes. "All right," he said. "If that is what you want."

Don't worry, Yoshi. You can handle it. Just think of the gaffes we gaijin get away with in your country.

He was no longer the wolf cub who trailed at its mother's side, learning how to hunt. Now he was the hunter, and there was no looking back.

Nice end to a nice chapter. :lol: I enjoyed it very much.

#3 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 13 August 2003 - 03:50 AM

I just had all four of my wisdom teeth out yesterday, and I think I'm somewhat under the influence of heavy duty painkillers.

*winces* Wisdom teeth are never fun. I remember when I had mine out. As far as pain went it wasn't too bad (though I also went heavy on the painkillers), but my adorable brother chose to torture me by eating french fries and tortilla chips and other "forbidden foods" right in front of me. Brat.

Ugh! My big sister isn't around here right now, so she couldn't do that to me, but I was really hungry for a couple of days when all I was able to eat was thin soup. I love a good steak, and being off any real meat for a few days was misery.

Hope you're feeling better now.

Oh yeah, I still have to take something for pain now and again, but it's getting better.

Since you said I could, I'll quietly point out a couple of typos. :wink:

unkempt
...her eyes too big for her face...

Noted and thank you. I shall go fix them now.

I wonder what Yoshi will think when he actually meets an elven woman.

Wince, I'd imagine. Although, by the time he actually *gets* to Faerun I think he'd be glad to see *any* sort of woman. It's not pleasant to spend months on a ship with a bunch of hairy, unwashed men.

Balancing easily as the ship crashed over a particularly large wave, Yoshimo made his way over to the chest, bent down and examined it. No, there was no trap, and the lock looked poorly made. An easy thing to open if he took the time. He wasn't planning on taking anything, of course, he just wanted to see what, if anything, was inside.

Yuh-huh. I've heard that one before. :wink:

Heh, exactly.

Now, see, if you'd been generous with the brandy, Ratty would be flat on his ass drunk and you could have done your "exploration" in peace.

Yeah, but Captain Lyllendyll would have something else to be irritated about. I don't have any precise details, but I can't imagine that having a drunken familiar is pleasant experience.

He opened it up, and examined the first sheet of paper. He was surprised to find it covered with kanji, though the sentences they formed made no sense to him at all, and some of the kanji he didn't even know, which was odd, considering he had been well schooled in caligraphy and reading while he had lived with his family. He thought for a moment that the words might mean something in Shou, since -though people generally didn't like to talk about it- Wa had long ago adopted the Shou characters for writing and they had changed very little since. There were also many strange symbols that didn't resemble kanji at all on the paper, and they were arranged in such a jumble that it began to make Yoshimo's head spin just to look at them. He paged through the rest of the papers, and found half of them written on in the same manner as the first.

I continue to enjoy Yoshi's encounters with those wacky Faerun things. Really puts us in his world nicely. I'm guessing that he's looking at elven writing and not, say, magical scrolls?

No, he found the captain's spellbook, which he keeps stowed safely in his cabin when he doesn't need it. Otherwise it could get knocked overboard, or some equally dire fate could befall it and that would be *bad.* Little known fact: The language used by mages in their spells and most arcane writings is draconic, which for most humanoids is a written only-language, since they don't have the capacity to speak it. Draconic is also the language used to write in Kara-Tur, so though the ideographs have been converted to other purposes, I'd wager a Kara-Turan could decipher at least their basic functions.

Urgh. Spell components. :lol:

Uhuh, once again right out of the PHB. The live spiders are used in the spell Spider Climb (one of the handiest spells ever) and while the other components usually are destroyed in some other manner when a spell is cast, you have to *eat* the spider live to cast Spider Climb. Ick.

:wink: Very nice.

It's not an attitude that I entirely understand, but meh, to each his own,

Careful...you'll put the Captain off his feed...

He eats mostly elven style meals anyway, heavy on greens, but low on red meat. He is fond of fish and fowl though.

It might have been the fact that all the names were nigh-unpronounceable, or the fact that the religons were so bizzare, but whatever the reason he was mixed up by the time the the captain decided to call it a night. He had had to recast his spell of communication twice during their conversation, and it had grown quite dark in the interim.

...or the fact that the religions were so bizarre...

^^ that too.

I confess, I'm feeling a bit like Yoshimo must have felt, but that might just be because I'm not terribly interested in the religions of Faerun. :twisted:

Yeah, I kind know the feeling. Sometimes it get on my nerves, but it's such an intergral part of the system that it refuses to be ignored.

"It's getting late," the captain said, "and I need to check the ship before I preform my nightly devotions and prepare spells for tomorrow.

...before I perform...

Thank you, I'll fix that one too.

Don't worry, Yoshi. You can handle it. Just think of the gaffes we gaijin get away with in your country.

Ah yes, but they're not in *his* country. And this author so dearly loves to put her characters in uncomfortable situations. Muahahahaha!

He was no longer the wolf cub who trailed at its mother's side, learning how to hunt. Now he was the hunter, and there was no looking back.

Nice end to a nice chapter. :lol: I enjoyed it very much.

Thank you, and thanks again for pointing out those errors. I really appreciate it.

-Blue

#4 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:14 AM

Just to forewarn you, this is something of a longish chapter, and it may be a little rambly. I just had all four of my wisdom teeth out yesterday, and I think I'm somewhat under the influence of heavy duty painkillers. I would have waited to post this chapter until I was a little more normal, but I really wanted to get it out while I was feeling inspired to get it done. Please feel free to point out any obvious results of my altered state, since I haven't been as careful with grammar and whatnot as I usually am. Other than that, enjoy yourself. I'm going to hold an icepack against jaws until they stop aching so I can get some sleep. Wish me luck.

Well, the on-topic byproduct of your drugging was awesome so....take more!!

Duke the Bard: We were just outside of Pord Llast when the lotus began to take hold...

Enough, you.

-Blue

Chapter 2

Then again, he couldn't be sure. Who knew what the people of this bizarre 'Fay-roon' place were like, this foreign land where one might meet an elf or a wizard. The whole place could be full of oni for all he knew. If it wasn't, the people who lived there did a damn good job of impersonating oni anyway, so they might be just as bad. He was just grateful that the captain's cabin didn't stink to the heavens the way the rest of the ship did. Perhaps it was because he was an elf. Perhaps elf were cleaner than human gaijin; the captain was certainly less hairy and unkempt than the other men he'd seen in the port and on the ship, even if he was rather ugly. He shuddered to think what a elf woman might look like... all bony and angular, like a child's crude drawing, her eyes too big for her face; pale and cold like fish scales.

Onyx: HEY!!! Elf-gals are HOT!

Jade: He'll change his opinions about half-elves, at least....

LOL

Since there was nothing else to do, Yoshimo decided to have a look around the cabin. All the furnishings were attached to either the floor or the wall, and both where it could be done, but it was well outfitted and well maintained. The one loose item was a long rectangular chest that sat against the outer wall. It had a large, heavy lock and probably held either the money that the ship made, the captain's more valuable belongings, or perhaps even both. Yoshimo's fingers twitched, and he absentmindedly reached for the lock picks and other tools he had hidden away in the folds of his clothes. It would be an easy enough lock to open up, it was large, but a mistake that people often made was in thinking that the bigger a lock they got the harder it would be to remove. That might be the case if one was trying to force the lock open or to break it, but a big lock opened just as easily under practiced fingers as a small one. Then again, the bigger the lock the easier is was to trap.

hmm...he knows his stuff!

Balancing easily as the ship crashed over a particularly large wave, Yoshimo made his way over to the chest, bent down and examined it. No, there was no trap, and the lock looked poorly made. An easy thing to open if he took the time. He wasn't planning on taking anything, of course, he just wanted to see what, if anything, was inside. He was just curious, and it wouldn't hurt to look. He could lock it again just as easily as he could unlock it in the first place. The captain wouldn't even know he'd looked.

Unless there are wards!

heehee

Shaking his head, Yoshimo put the thing down and decided to check the drawers. The middle drawer was wide and quite tall, and contained a number of very interesting little things: a capped pot of some sort of ink, a few strange writing utensils, sheets of paper, both blank and written on, a curiously well preserved rose, wax, a seal, and a number of little knicknacks, like a tiger made out of some sort of slippery green-gray stone, a few badly folded origami cranes, a wooden carving of a horse, and a glass dome over a tiny replica of a winter landscape. When Yoshimo picked up that last item he found that it was filled with some sort of liquid and had little white specks in it that, when disturbed, made it look like snow was falling inside the dome.. He enjoyed shaking the dome and watching the "snow" fall for several minutes before putting it back in the drawer and looking at some of the other items more closely.

heehee....nice....I love snowglobes in storytelling, for some reason....(world within a world within a world)?

It was good that he did, since it was at about that time that the captain returned to the cabin with a wooden tray heaped with what Yoshimo suspected was food; he wasn't sure because it looked like no food he had ever before encounted. It looked suspiciously like the side of some sort of animal that had been cooked over a fire and heavily seasoned. Along side that was a chunk of very hard-looking bread and an orange, which seemed completely out of place.

Ar, there be no scurvy here!

"Are you hungry, then?" The captain asked, proffering the tray. Yoshimo's stomach answered for him, growling like a caged tiger. The captian set the tray down on the table and gestured for Yoshimo to have a seat in his chair. "I dug an orange out of our supplies so as to ward off scurvy," he said. "The bread's a bit old, but it hasn't gone moldy yet, so it should be edible, and the mutton may be a tad ripe, but I doubt it will do you any harm. Besides which, if you get ill I can fix you right up."

'ripe'...a nice euphemism for meat!

LOL! Sheep Image...

Onyx: I'll resist the cat- and dog- meat jokes....

Yoshimo shuddered. He picked up the bread and gnawed on one end of it and found it just as hard as it looked. He set the bread down, picked up the orange, peeled it deftly and picked apart and ate the segments one by one. It wasn't the best orange ever, but he was hungry enough that the quality didn't really matter to him. When he was done, all that was left of the orange was the juice that had dribbled down his chin. His appetite piqued, he tried the bread again, and this time didn't let it daunt him.

lol

Now all there was left was the... mutton. He was still ravenous, and though the thought of eating a sheep didn't appeal to him -in fact, it repulsed him- he figured that he would have to get used to gaijin food eventually. He peeled a sliver of meat away from the rest of the chunk with his fingers, holding it somewhat like someone would hold a poisonous snake, and popped it into his mouth before he could change his mind. It wasn't quite as bad as he imagined it would be, though the heavy spices did their job and almost entirely covered up the gaminess of the meat. There were religious proscriptions in Wa and her neighboring empire, Kozakura, against eating animal flesh, but there were also religious proscriptions against stealing, killing people, being wealthy, having sex and all the other usual things, and that had never stopped Yoshimo before.

ROFL!!!!!! Oh, lovely social commentary....

Still, the idea that he'd just taken a bite out of his great-grandmother or whatever, did bother him a bit, and so he asked the Captain about the matter. "In Wa," he said, eating another tiny sliver of meat, "we don't eat sheep, or any other animals for that matter, and the people that kill cows to make leather from their skins are considered unclean. They count for even less then the rest of the non-people."

You're a Hindu?

"Patron?"

"Yes, their patron God or Goddess."

"You have to pick just one?"

"Yes, or else you are considered one of the False and must serve in the City of the Dead for the rest of eternity. There are far more dire consequences if you fail to choose a patron all together."

Onyx: ...all in all you're just another brick in the wall (of the dead)

"How many Gods are there in Fay-roon?"

Cool...I never counted!

"Why so few?"

The captain chuckled. "I don't think anyone has ever considered Faerun to be lacking in deities, my boy."

LOL

Yoshimo shook his head in amazement. "In Wa it is said that their are eight million Gods, kami that rule over scared places, landmarks and unusual natural things, like boulders and giant trees and such. Sixty-nine is a very small number in comparison."

sacred

The captain smiled. "I see out conversation has sparked your interest. I would be glad to discuss the various religions of Faerun with you. It happens to be one of my favorite topics."

our

"I woud appreciate that. You said there were 'dire consequences' for not having a patron, and I would like to avoid them."

Do Kara-Turans have their own rules? Do they do ancestor worship?

"Don't feel rushed to choose," the captain cautioned. "We have yet to enter the lands where these rules apply, so you will have considerable time. Once we reach Faerun itself I would advise that you give the subject some serious though, perhaps visit with some priests of the faiths that you favor, and then make your final decision. I would hate for you to die and become part of Kelemvor's Wall."

Onyx: Lathander! Lathander! Ra ra ra! You get to be Good but have fun! Oh, and he's pro-wealth, and you're a thief and all....

yay!

Yoshimo took one of the pillows from the bunk, put the blanket out on the floor where he wouldn't be in the way of someone as they walked around the cabin, laid down and closed his eyes. He listened to the creaking of the hull and the noises from the crew outside, their shouts, their laughs, the sound of their shoes slapping against the deck, and he was a little jealous.

And a little homesick.

awwwww

It hand't been so bad when he had been waiting restlessly to be discovered. Then every noise had been a threat, and his sense were fine tuned to detect them and react to anything that might jeapordize his life. He had been too busy trying to survive to think of what he had left behind. Now, though his life wasn't in danger, and his mind could turn to the things he had lost; the things he would never see again. He longed for the familiar sights; his room in Hiruma's household, Kaede's serene face, the garden, he even missed seeing Hana and Ayame, and he wondered how Kurenai was coping without him there to protect her. He missed hearing the nightly chanting of the monks as they passed through the city streets, the sounds of the city, the familiar music of the night. He missed the smell of good cooking, the saltiness of the food, the delicate flavor of a good cup of sake.

awwwww! and all cuz Hiruma is an arse

Jade: *points to Byrnn* (singsong voice) Everything happens for a rea-ea-son...

There were too mnay possibilities, he decided. Too many things that had gone wrong that shouldn't have. Too many things to worry about when he had to look toward the future instead of the past. He had left his family name behind when he had been disowned, and he had been glad to do it. He had left behind his life as the son of a samurai and adopted the life of a bounty hunter's apprentice without so much as a second thought. Now it was time to choose a new life, to leave the past behind again. He was no longer the wolf cub who trailed at its mother's side, learning how to hunt. Now he was the hunter, and there was no looking back.

The TITLE!

To Be Continued

Wonderful chapter. This story reads more like professional fiction than fanfiction, somehow....more descriptive? Focused more on one character? Hmm...

#5 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:23 AM

AAAH!!!!! THE PAGE KRASHED AND ERASED MY COMMENTS!

Since I didn't have any earth-shaking insights, I'll sum up:

-The other byproduct of your drugging was great, as was this one. Keep popping the pills (but I do hope your post-wisdom-teeth thing goes well....haven't had mine out (yet) but for most people it seems to be hellish)

-Great chapter. This story feels more like professional fiction than fanfiction....more descriptive? More focused on one character? Or maybe just it's not game plot...? *shrug* great anyhow

#6 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 13 August 2003 - 04:07 PM

Nay, sir Oryx, thy message got through.

-Blue

#7 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 13 August 2003 - 04:53 PM

Well, (un)fortunately the pain is gone, so I suppose I'll just have to rely on my own wit and talent until I have to have major dental surgery again.

He shuddered to think what a elf woman might look like... all bony and angular, like a child's crude drawing, her eyes too big for her face; pale and cold like fish scales.

Yoshimo: Keep in mind that this was fifteen years ago. Right off the boat I'm sure I would have found even Brynn to be... less than appealing.

Brynn: You would have also found me to be pretty young too; Fifteen years ago I was *nine.* (Affectionately) Cradle-robber.

That might be the case if one was trying to force the lock open or to break it, but a big lock opened just as easily under practiced fingers as a small one. Then again, the bigger the lock the easier is was to trap.

hmm...he knows his stuff!

He's got a lot of knowledge about this sort of stuff stored up, but not a whole lot of practical experience.

The captain wouldn't even know he'd looked.

Unless there are wards!

Elliard isn't the sort of guy who'd bother to ward his stuff. He's really only got the lock there so that it doesn't accidentally fly open in a storm.

He didn't know how much a wizard knew of what his familiar saw, but he didn't want to take the risk of the captain knowing that he had opened up the locked chest.

heehee

Yoshimo: That rat was the bane of my existance for quite some time.

When Yoshimo picked up that last item he found that it was filled with some sort of liquid and had little white specks in it that, when disturbed, made it look like snow was falling inside the dome. He enjoyed shaking the dome and watching the "snow" fall for several minutes before putting it back in the drawer and looking at some of the other items more closely.

heehee....nice....I love snowglobes in storytelling, for some reason....(world within a world within a world)?

Yeah. I especially liked the parts in NWN where you were in the snow-globe recovering the Words of Power, and in SoU where you go into a story book in the library in Undrentide (and from there go into two more books and eventually back out into the library again.) It's a pretty neat concept, really.

Part of the reason I included that stuff was to tell a little something about Elliard's personality. He's an easy going guy who's inner child doesn't *always* stay inside.

Along side that was a chunk of very hard-looking bread and an orange, which seemed completely out of place.

Ar, there be no scurvy here!

Nope, Elliard's a good captain, even if he is a little unusual.

"The bread's a bit old, but it hasn't gone moldy yet, so it should be edible, and the mutton may be a tad ripe, but I doubt it will do you any harm. Besides which, if you get ill I can fix you right up."

'ripe'...a nice euphemism for meat!

Thanks. Ripe can also be used to describe people when they haven't bathed for a few days.

LOL! Sheep Image...

The funny thing is that the material component for that spell (Silent Image) is a bit of fleece... ^^

Onyx: I'll resist the cat- and dog- meat jokes....

Yoshimo (somewhat offended): That, sir Onyx, is Shou, not Wa or Kozakura.

There were religious proscriptions in Wa and her neighboring empire, Kozakura, against eating animal flesh, but there were also religious proscriptions against stealing, killing people, being wealthy, having sex and all the other usual things, and that had never stopped Yoshimo before.

ROFL!!!!!! Oh, lovely social commentary....

^^ It doesn't stop a lot of other people either.

You're a Hindu?

As I remember the main religion in Wa was something of a mix of Shinto and Buddhism, (or there were two official religions, and one was Shinto-esque and the other was Buddhism-esque, I misremember.) Hinduism (or its cultural equivalent) would be native to the continent of Zakhara.

Been letting your Bhaalspawn listen to rock'n'roll?

Cool...I never counted!

That's including the main Faerunian pantheon and the mulhorandi pantheon too.

sacred

D'oh... thanks.

our

D'oh again. Thanks again.

Do Kara-Turans have their own rules? Do they do ancestor worship?

Yeah, it's sort of like ancestor worship (mostly in Shou I think) and like I said before, Wa and Kozakura have their own unique faiths based off f Shinto with various influences, I believe.

I would hate for you to die and become part of Kelemvor's Wall."

Onyx: Lathander! Lathander! Ra ra ra! You get to be Good but have fun! Oh, and he's pro-wealth, and you're a thief and all....

Yoshimo: I actually found Ilmateri doctrine more familiar. The concept that all life is suffering is one that was also common in Wa, though the emphasis there was more on enduring than on trying to help everyone. Personally, I prefer to leave the compulsive problem solving to Brynn... her temperment is better suited to it.

yay!

She's a pretty cool Goddess, ne?

And a little homesick.

awwwww

He's still just a kid, after all.

He missed hearing the nightly chanting of the monks as they passed through the city streets, the sounds of the city, the familiar music of the night. He missed the smell of good cooking, the saltiness of the food, the delicate flavor of a good cup of sake.

awwwww! and all cuz Hiruma is an arse

Hiruma's one of the few character that I've ever created that I actively hate to write. He give me the creeps.

Yoshimo: That's a very comforting thing *now*, but I can't see the future like Kurenai can, so *then* I had no reason to expect my life in Faerun to be any more pleasant than my life in Wa, and a list of reasons as long as my arm to expect it to be worse.

Now he was the hunter, and there was no looking back.

The TITLE!

I do so love to tie in little details like that. It makes me feel as if I've done something vaguely literary.

Wonderful chapter. This story reads more like professional fiction than fanfiction, somehow....more descriptive? Focused more on one character? Hmm...

That's the best compliment I've ever recieved ^^ I really like to hear stuff like that, since, you know, I eventually plan to become a professional writer and publish my own original fantasy novel.

Thanks for commenting,
-Blue

#8 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 14 August 2003 - 05:40 AM

Well, (un)fortunately the pain is gone, so I suppose I'll just have to rely on my own wit and talent until I have to have major dental surgery again.

We should be fine then.

He shuddered to think what a elf woman might look like... all bony and angular, like a child's crude drawing, her eyes too big for her face; pale and cold like fish scales.

Yoshimo: Keep in mind that this was fifteen years ago. Right off the boat I'm sure I would have found even Brynn to be... less than appealing.

Brynn: You would have also found me to be pretty young too; Fifteen years ago I was *nine.* (Affectionately) Cradle-robber.

Onyx: I still haven't figured out whether Aerie is under-age in elf years...

Jade: She sure acts like it....

Aerie: *innocently hides N'Sync poster* Who, me?

Elliard isn't the sort of guy who'd bother to ward his stuff. He's really only got the lock there so that it doesn't accidentally fly open in a storm.

otherwise Elliard's Locker might become Davey Jones'

Yeah. I especially liked the parts in NWN where you were in the snow-globe recovering the Words of Power, and in SoU where you go into a story book in the library in Undrentide (and from there go into two more books and eventually back out into the library again.) It's a pretty neat concept, really.

Heehee....so right now I'm playing the bad guys in this web freeform RP (with some FWS people) and I have the loony arcchvillains playing a dice-rolling tabletop game that looks suspiciously like the tower the party is goign through.....

Thanks. Ripe can also be used to describe people when they haven't bathed for a few days.

LOL

LOL! Sheep Image...

The funny thing is that the material component for that spell (Silent Image) is a bit of fleece... ^^

ROFL!! The clay ziggaraut still baffles me....

As I remember the main religion in Wa was something of a mix of Shinto and Buddhism, (or there were two official religions, and one was Shinto-esque and the other was Buddhism-esque, I misremember.) Hinduism (or its cultural equivalent) would be native to the continent of Zakhara.

Ah. I always wondered where 'India' was

Woe is me....musta been some bleeding between my mp3 list and the BG files...

Onyx: (oblivious) ...Rock of Ages....

Cool...I never counted!

That's including the main Faerunian pantheon and the mulhorandi pantheon too.

Onyx: ....Walk like an Egyption...

Yoshimo: I actually found Ilmateri doctrine more familiar. The concept that all life is suffering is one that was also common in Wa, though the emphasis there was more on enduring than on trying to help everyone. Personally, I prefer to leave the compulsive problem solving to Brynn... her temperment is better suited to it.

Onyx & Minsc: You know, we played keep-away with your heart when we found it....they make great pigskins....

Aerie: *barf*

Onyx: ...kidding....

Hiruma's one of the few character that I've ever created that I actively hate to write. He give me the creeps.

;) me too

Yoshimo: That's a very comforting thing *now*, but I can't see the future like Kurenai can, so *then* I had no reason to expect my life in Faerun to be any more pleasant than my life in Wa, and a list of reasons as long as my arm to expect it to be worse.

Stranger in a Strange Land

Now he was the hunter, and there was no looking back.

The TITLE!

I do so love to tie in little details like that. It makes me feel as if I've done something vaguely literary.

lol

That's the best compliment I've ever recieved ^^ I really like to hear stuff like that, since, you know, I eventually plan to become a professional writer and publish my own original fantasy novel.

:lol: More power to ya, and I hope it comes to fruition. If you do, I want an autographed copy!

You know...you could probably swap proper names around in HatH and....well, there's the magic system and everything....hmmmm....could make it an original setting, or even in an old Earth orient with magic (I'm guessing some of the Kara-Tur setting things like wujen, etc. are based on eastern folklore anyway)...and when it moves west, you've got Merlin-style wizardry

Thanks for commenting,
-Blue

#9 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 14 August 2003 - 01:02 PM

We should be fine then.

;) Flatterer!

Onyx: I still haven't figured out whether Aerie is under-age in elf years...

Jade: She sure acts like it....

Aerie: *innocently hides N'Sync poster* Who, me?

I think she's of age, just a little er... not sheltered, since she did experience some bad stuff, but perhaps she has some childlike innocence yet that makes her seem young.

otherwise Elliard's Locker might become Davey Jones'

Precisely, and he keeps some pretty cool stuff in there too.

Yoshimo: I knew I should have looked.

Heehee....so right now I'm playing the bad guys in this web freeform RP (with some FWS people) and I have the loony arcchvillains playing a dice-rolling tabletop game that looks suspiciously like the tower the party is goign through.....

LOL I love loony archvillains. They're so much fun.

ROFL!! The clay ziggaraut still baffles me....

Pyramid and ziggarauts have always been associated with exotic-ness (at least in the US, I don't know what the people in countries that have them think) so perhaps it is a symbol of that. They've also been long associated with hidden knowledge (why do you think we keep digging in them?) so it could be that too. It could also be because the people that wrote up the spell description were looking for something to have a as a material component and they picked the first thing that came to mind.

Ah. I always wondered where 'India' was

I'd really like to see a source book on Zakhara, and Maztic, for that matter (I'd really like to get my hands on the Kara-Tur sourcebook too so I can see just how inaccurate I'm being.)

Woe is me....musta been some bleeding between my mp3 list and the BG files...

Onyx: (oblivious) ...Rock of Ages....

Ah... that explains why Brynn hasn't started singing yet... I don't have any MP3's. Not much of a music person. Except I do have a couple of Japanese pop CD's that I listen to in the car.

Onyx & Minsc: You know, we played keep-away with your heart when we found it....they make great pigskins....

Yoshimo (dryly): You're so considerate.

Aerie: *barf*

Onyx: ...kidding....

Yoshimo(with sarcasm): Haha.

I always though taking his heart all the way through the underdark and to the temple of Ilmater was a pretty gruesome task... not to mention that to get it you actually would have had to cut it out of him. Gross to say the least, but hey, if it's what the guy wants, it's what he gets.

Stranger in a Strange Land

You read that book? It's pretty good, I think.

:lol: More power to ya, and I hope it comes to fruition. If you do, I want an autographed copy!

I'll be sure you get one... if I ever finish editing it so that I can actually send it to a publisher without feeling guilty about subjecting them to stomach-wrenching teenage-agnsty nonsense.

You know...you could probably swap proper names around in HatH and....well, there's the magic system and everything....hmmmm....could make it an original setting, or even in an old Earth orient with magic (I'm guessing some of the Kara-Tur setting things like wujen, etc. are based on eastern folklore anyway)...and when it moves west, you've got Merlin-style wizardry

Nah... It wouldn't be the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com