Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kevtg_*

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:04 PM

More Star Wars! :) I also try to have a little bit of fun inthis one...

Keven was dreaming.

He could see a woman. She was young still, barely out of her teens, but she wore a look of determination that belied her years. She wielded the yellow bladed lightsaber she held with equal determination. She was engaged with a man wearing black robes whose red bladed saber met hers in a series of crackling clashes. The young woman’s dark hair was matted down with sweat and her yellow colored robes twirled as she dodged and parried her opponent’s attacks.

There were other men with her, other Jedi who fought on either side of her, but Keven was only peripherally aware of them. All his attention was on the girl. She took a half step back and lowered her blade slightly. The dark robed man she was fighting lunged hard into the opening. She was ready for him though. She ducked and twirled underneath the attack. As she came around, she reversed her grip on her lightsaber and thrust the blade into the man’s chest. Horror and relief flashed across her face as he groaned and fell at her feet.

Keven’s view of her shifted and he realized he was moving closer to her. Another emotion flashed across her face. Fear this time and she whipped her lightsaber back into a guard position. The fear faded as she forced her mask of determination back into place. Then Keven felt himself frozen as he looked deep into her liquid brown eyes...

He came awake and sat up. There had been something about the woman, he knew her somehow. He placed a hand on his forehead and shook his head to clear it.

“You're awake I see,” someone said. Keven looked up. He was in a small, dark, single room apartment. The orangish glow of sunrise or sunset filtered in through a large bay window at the back of the apartment. There was a man sitting in a chair across from the bed. Keven recognized him as the man who had saved him on the Endar Spire, Carth Onasi.

“Where are we?” Keven asked.

“In the Upper City of Taris,” Carth replied. “Our escape pod crashed near here. I managed to drag you out before the locals showed up in force. The building we’re in is real low rent for the Upper City, so no one’s asked too many questions about us being here, but that could change at any moment. Especially now that the Sith have taken over the whole planet.”

“How long have I been out?”

Carth shrugged. “A few days. You had some serious injuries. A badly sprained ankle, a dislocated kneecap, plus you took a nasty bump to the head when we crashed. I had to use most of our medpacs getting you put back together again.”

Keven worked the leg he had hurt escaping from the Endar Spire. He couldn’t feel any pain. “You did a good job, thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” Carth said. “But I needed you healthy. What do you know about Taris?”

“Not much,” Keven replied. “It’s basically one big city, like Coruscant.” Though there was something else. He felt like he should know more than that but he couldn’t quite put his finger on it. I wonder what that means, he thought.

“Not quite like Coruscant,” Carth said. “Trade routes have shifted over the years and Taris’ heyday is very much over with. The upper levels are still safe, but the lower ones are ruled by warring swoop bike gangs. The things I’ve heard about the lowest levels make them sound even worse. I imagine the whole place will be as bad as Nar Shadaa in a few years.”

“What about the Sith?” Keven asked.

“They moved in after the battle in space,” Carth replied. “The locals knuckled right under. I don’t blame them. It seems like the whole Sith fleet is in orbit. I heard someone say that Darth Malak himself is here.”

“Malak?”

“Yes,” Carth said. “He’s looking for Bastila. She’s the whole reason we’ve lasted as long as we have in this war. Her Battle Meditation has changed the course of entire battles. She was part of the team that killed Darth Revan, Malak’s old master, two years ago. She’s the only person in the Republic Malak truly fears.”

Bastila. There was something about the name. Keven knew who she was, but there was something else tickling the back of his brain. Much like how he should know more about Taris than he did. “Do you know if they’ve found her yet?”

Carth shook his head. “I don’t think so. I know she got off the ship. The locals say several Republic escape pods crashed into the Undercity, the very lowest part of Taris. We can only hope she was on one of them. We’ve got to find her before the Sith do. Not only do we lose her Battle Meditation, but she knows everything about our war effort.”

“She’s a Jedi,” Keven said. “She should be able to hold out against interrogation, shouldn’t she?”

“Normal interrogation, yes,” Carth replied. “But against Darth Malak? I’ve head the Force can do terrible things to a mind, twist thoughts, even wipe away your whole identity.”

“Yeah,” Keven began but before he could say anything else there were noises coming from outside, shouting, doors being forced open and the like.

“Hold on,” Carth stood and began moving towards the door. “The blasters are under the bed,” he said. Keven reached down and felt the cool metal and plastic of the weapons.

Carth opened the door and Keven could hear a voice yelling in a stiff Core Worlds accent. “All right you scum, this is a raid! Everyone out and against the wall!” Carth froze for a moment, then put his hands up and began moving into the hall, but not before sending a quick glance towards Keven.

Keven glanced around the small room, looking for anything else he could use. He had their blasters, but he had no idea how many Sith were out there, besides he wasn’t even dressed. All he was wearing was his pants and unlike Carth, who wore local civilian clothes, his trousers were very obviously part of a Republic uniform. Think Kev, think! There’s got to be something you can do! Then a crazy idea occurred to him.

Keven stumbled out into the hallway. He had the sheets from the bed wrapped around his waist and his hands were at the small of his back, holding the sheets up and hidden among their folds. A Sith trooper dressed head to foot in silver and black armor grabbed his shoulder and pushed up against the wall next to Carth.

“I was trying to tell you to hide,” Carth hissed at him.

“Really?” Keven whispered back. “I’m sorry, I don’t take direction very well.”

“Quiet!” A Sith trooper told them in a scratchy, electronically reproduced voice.

Keven looked around. The corridor in this complex was curved, like it wrapped around in one big circle. The wall on the outside of the wall was where the apartment doors were and most of them open. The people being pulled out of the apartments were all aliens: Duros with their green skin and red eyes; hunchbacked, hammer-headed Ithorians; Twi’leks with their tails growing from the tops of their heads, and even a few black eyed, lizard-like Rodians. A quick count showed Keven six armored Sith troopers lining the aliens up against the walls, plus one officer in starched black uniform leaning up against the wall. Seven, Keven thought. Not as bad as I thought.

A moment later, something else occurred to him. Wait a minute, Carth and I are the only humans here, he thought. So much for keeping a low profile.

The Sith officer turned his eyes towards Carth and Keven. “What do have here,” he said, his accent as stiff and starched as his uniform. “Humans consorting with aliens? On Taris? I do believe this violates some local statutes.”

Carth opened his mouth. “I...” he began.

The Sith officer raised a finger. “I did not give you permission to speak. I was merely contemplating the oddity of this situation, given the prevailing attitudes towards non-humans.” He then turned his eyes towards Keven and looked him up and down with a faint expression of disgust. “You, where are your clothes?” he asked.

“You see, your lordship, I was getting ready to get in the shower when you started kicking in doors,” Keven replied. “This was all I could get to wear on short notice.”

“I see,” the officer said. “Show me your hands.”

Keven feigned embarrassment. “Well, you see, your lordship, they’re the only things holding this sheet up and...”

“Well then, take the sheets off,” the officer said evenly.

“That really wouldn’t be good idea,” Kevin said.

“And why not?” the officer asked, with a certain iciness creeping into his voice.

Keven looked side to side conspiratorially. “I really wouldn’t want your lordship getting jealous, if you know what I’m saying,” he replied in a lowered voice but still loud enough for everyone nearby to hear.

The officer’s face darkened over with anger and his hand lashed out, ripping the sheets from Keven’s waist. The Republic uniform trousers he wore were clear for everyone to see.

As well as the blasters he held in each hand.

Keven fired both weapons at once into the officers chest, sending him tumbling to the floor. Two of the six Sith troopers were standing right behind the officer and Keven began shooting at them, firing as fast as he could pull the triggers on both blasters. They were both slammed back against the wall before they had a chance to respond.

Keven tossed the blaster in his left hand towards Carth. “Go left!” he shouted and turned to his right without seeing if Carth caught the weapon or not. He gripped the blaster he held now with both hands and dropped another trooper with a single shot to the head. A fourth trooper was trying to aim his blaster over the diving bodies of the resident aliens. Keven fired twice at him. The first bolt caught him in the shoulder and spun him around. The second hammered the man to the ground. “Clear on right!” Keven called.

There was a final blaster shot and Carth called out, “Clear on left!” Keven realized that he and Carth were the only ones left standing. The aliens had joined the Sith on the floor, but the Sith were clearly not getting back up again. Keven slowly lowered his weapon. “Is everyone all right?” he asked.

The aliens began stirring on the floor, some of them feeling at themselves, clearly not believing they weren’t hurt. One of the Duros sat up and began gesturing at Keven and saying something in his own language.

“What’s he saying?” Carth asked.

“Uh... He’s wondering what did I think I was doing shooting the place up like that,” Keven said. “He says the Sith will now bother them even more.”

“He’s got a point,” Carth said.

Keven turned towards the alien. “I am very sorry,” he said. “They were looking for us and would have caused us great harm should they have caught us.”

The Duros grunted and said something that sounded a bit more mollified but still unhappy.

“I understand,” Keven replied, “and you have my thanks.” He turned back towards the apartment.

“What did he say?” Carth asked.

“He said he has no love for the Sith and he’ll see that the bodies are found somewhere else,” Keven said.

“That’s helpful.”

“Yeah, we just gotta hurry up and get out of here,” Keven told him.

Carth nodded. “I couldn’t agree more.”

“Just let me get dressed first,” Keven said. “Is it me or did it just get real chilly around here?”

The sun was just setting behind Taris’ skyline and it set the horizon on fire as it painted the clouds in shades of red and gold. The tops of the planet-wide city’s skycrapers turned the horizon from a smooth line to a jagged, staccato procession of slender spires, rounded minarets, and soaring arches. Skycars moved in and amongst the buildings like flocks of migratory birds.

Keven leaned against the railing of crowded walkway and watched people walk by. What the Sith officer said about the locals seemed true. There were almost no aliens in sight, nearly everyone he saw was a human. What few aliens he saw moved together in small groups and were given wide berths by the humans. The only people who seemed more shunned than the aliens were the Sith, who moved through the crowds in groups of three or four. The invaders tried to act confident and cocky, but Keven could sense their underlying nervousness. Well, they weren’t exactly welcomed with open arms.

“I saw your service record,” Carth said suddenly.

“What was that?” Keven asked.

“When you came on board the Endar Spire,” Carth continued. “You caused quite a stir.”

“How’s that? I’m just a scout.”

Carth arched an eyebrow. “Just a scout? Keven no-last-name. Top marks in both marksmanship and swordsmanship. You tested fluent in about twenty different languages...”

Twenty? Keven thought. That many? Wait a minute, just how many languages do I know? There was something vaguely disturbing about the thought.

Carth was still talking. “...plus there’s the fact the Jedi themselves requested your presence on this mission.”

That stopped Keven for a moment. “Come again?” he asked.
“You didn’t know?” Carth asked. “We were all set to leave and then this message comes from Bastila’s party, ‘Get this man onboard.’ We had to delay our departure a whole day waiting for you to arrive.”

“What are you getting at?”

Carth shrugged. “I’m just saying that it’s kinda odd that a person whose this last minute addition is one of the few people to escape the ship.”

“Now, wait a minute, I had nothing to do with...”

Carth raised a hand. “I’m not saying you did. It’s just that all that, coupled with what I just saw, makes it obvious that you’re more than ‘just a scout’, and well... I just don’t like surprises.”

“There’s no surprises here, Carth,” Keven said. “I’m just a scout. I may be good at what I do, but I’m just a scout.”

Carth turned away. “We’ll see,” he said.

“What about this,” Keven said after a moment. “You said it was Bastila’s party that put in a request for my presence. Why don’t we ask her when we find her?”

“We’re no closer to finding her,” Carth replied sullenly. “The Sith have got all access to the lower levels blocked.”

Keven nodded. After leaving the apartment complex, they had tried to get into lower levels, but found all the elevators under heavy guard. “I’ve been thinking about that,” he said. “Follow me.”

“Where are we going?” Carth asked.

“Drinking,” Keven replied.

“Drinking?” Carth repeated. “How is drinking going to help us?”

“Because we need info, Carth,” Keven answered, “and people talk when they drink.”

Carth Onasi leaned against the bar in a darkened cantina and watched neon lights play against the wall. This is insane, he thought. I’ve fallen in with a crazy man. Carth had fought several wars on behalf of the Republic, first against the Mandalorians and then later, the Sith. One thing he knew that you didn’t do was try to fight wars from the back of a bar.

Which was exactly what Keven no-last-name was dead-set on trying to do.

Keven was at a small table, sitting across from a plain looking woman, deep in what appeared to be an animated conversation, looking for all the galaxy like a young man out chasing women.

“So, what are we looking for,” Carth had asked when they walked in.

Keven had glanced around the cantina, looking very much like a predator sniffing the wind. “Lonely people, Carth,” he’d replied. “Lonely people drink more and talk more than any other kind of people you’ll ever meet.”

Keven spotted her almost immediately, sitting alone and slowly nursing a drink. She wasn’t an unattractive woman. She was obviously someone who kept in shape and she dressed in way to catch a man’s eye. But she had a sharp angular face that was emphasized by the way her hair was pulled severely into a bun at the back of her head. She he also wore an expression that seemed to discourage conversation. Still, it wasn’t enough to explain why all the tables around her were empty as well.

A quick inquiry to the bartender explained that. The woman was a Sith officer who had come down to mix with the locals and had not succeeded. “Perfect,” Keven said with a smile. He had bought her a drink and had gone over to talk to her. That had been fifteen minutes ago.

As Carth watched them, Keven pulled a datapad from his pocket and set it on the table. The woman took it and tapped something into it before handing it back. Then she smiled at him and caressed the back of his hand with her fingertips. After that she walked to the bar, settled her bill and left. Keven was sitting at the table, smiling contentedly.

Carth sat down across from him. “What have you done?” he asked.

“I hope you brought your dancing shoes, Carth,” Keven grinned. “We’re going to a party.”

#2 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 06 August 2003 - 05:20 AM

Alright - got it finally. The guy is another would be Luke, right? 20 languages and top marks in everything - and he cannot remember why is he important? lol!

I also note with my evil mind that starships always attacked near habitable planets, so that escape pods can crasf down into the breathable atmosphere. :wink:

Do they really divide all creatures on 'humans' and 'aliens'? I sort of though theyare all 'humanoids'. And interesting twist indeed - this time we have a planet with a decadent city envoronment - and two brave Republic boys drinking with a Sith lady. I am intrigued.

Cheers!

PS

Loved the whole scene with a sheet very much - Keven sounds like a guy with a sense of humor. :twisted:

#3 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 06 August 2003 - 05:54 AM

another evil mind at work here...

btw...did you like my shotgun comment on the last story???

ok, the ship interception thing...that's rather easily explained...even if interception is possible in hyperspace travel, and I would guess it is not, space is big. Its REALLY REALLY BIG! (thank you doug adams...)

so realistically, the only place where you can intercept spacecraft is in a solar system, since the ship could approach from any one of a thousand vectors...but sooner or later, the ship has to go in orbit around a planet...so the only logical interceptions would happen near a planet...hence the ubiquitous escape pod of science fiction...

besides, any ship lying in ambush can take advantage of the L2(?) position in orbital mechanics and gain a huge advantage...

(L5 is the most famous of the Legrange points in orbital mechanics, but at least one of the legrange points, all of which are points in a planet's orbit which will not decay, making them invaluable for perminent satillite installations...allows you to hide behind the planet, so your ship will be able to cloak its signature and emissions using the body of the planet from any ship approaching the system from the plane of the ecliptic...)

now i am liking this story, since not only is it giving me a taste of a game I deeply want to get, but keven is pretty interesting in himself...much like luke, he thinks he is a plain person, but he will soon discover just how extraordinary he really is...

and I too liked the sheet scene... :twisted: :wink: :wink:

now the questions are...what exactly is keven planning? are you planning a literary version of the infamous bar scene from star wars? and why was that sith lady alone, and not bothered by anyone in that bar? could she have force powers? that would explain why she was left strictly alone in a rather unsavory bar...

keven better watch out...she could be a dark jedi...

and if she is, why would she be interested in keven? not only as a possible link to go after Bastila, but an untrained, unaware young jedi could be broken, seduced, or tempted into the dark side...

oh one more thing, episode 1, anakin was described as being much too old to be trained as a jedi, at the tender age of about 10 years old...would keven be young enough to become a jedi? or were the standards and rules looser in this period of history???

good stuff, more please!!

#4 Guest_kevtg_*

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:10 PM

[quote]Alright - got it finally. The guy is another would be Luke, right? 20 languages and top marks in everything - and he cannot remember why is he important? lol![/quote]

Everybody has to start small.

[quote]
Do they really divide all creatures on 'humans' and 'aliens'? I sort of though theyare all 'humanoids'. And interesting twist indeed - this time we have a planet with a decadent city envoronment - and two brave Republic boys drinking with a Sith lady. I am intrigued.[/quote]

Humans are the dominate species, so there is a bit of "us and then everybody else" going on. The Sith, and later the Empire, are very much "humans only" clubs and that just reinforces the division.

[quote]
Loved the whole scene with a sheet very much - Keven sounds like a guy with a sense of humor. :twisted:[/quote]

Unfortunately that scene is not in the game, but it should've been. :roll: I have to make up a lot of dialogue since the game is on my XBox and I don't have a utility like IE to go trolling for lines. Plus I'm trying to condense some of the action. That means I have to do some bridgework.

Also, having written scads of tragedies, I'm trying to branch out a bit and have some fun :twisted:

kev[/quote]

#5 Guest_kevtg_*

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:37 PM

another evil mind at work here...

btw...did you like my shotgun comment on the last story???

Yeah, that's probably why you don't see shotgunsin SW. :twisted:

ok, the ship interception thing...that's rather easily explained...even if interception is possible in hyperspace travel, and I would guess it is not, space is big. Its REALLY REALLY BIG! (thank you doug adams...)

so realistically, the only place where you can intercept spacecraft is in a solar system, since the ship could approach from any one of a thousand vectors...but sooner or later, the ship has to go in orbit around a planet...so the only logical interceptions would happen near a planet...hence the ubiquitous escape pod of science fiction...

besides, any ship lying in ambush can take advantage of the L2(?) position in orbital mechanics and gain a huge advantage...

*geek mode* Well, the biggest advantage you get from L2 is minimal energy requirements for any manuevers you want to make i.e. a ship deeper in the gravity has to exert more energy to change it's trajectory and a ship outside has to exert energy to match the velocity of a ship in orbit at a Lagrange point. Having said all that, SW ships don't look like they worry all that much about the energy requirements of space travel. :lol:

But you're right about planets being the best place to find ships, though. Space is really big after all.

Incidentally, it IS possible to intercept a ship in hyperspace. According to canon, traveling in hyperspace is really dangerous, because gravity wells that exist in normal space also exist in hyperspace. In fact, hyperspace gravity wells are a LOT more powerful in hyperspace. Flying too close to unmapped object, like a black hole, could end your trip real quick. There are sensors that are supposed to detect large gravity wells and drop you back to normal space, but because of the velocities involved, it's not always enough to save.

Because of that, hyperspace travel tends to stick to scouted out "safe" routes and that helps increase the likelihood of an intercept. Now, no fighting can happen in hyperspace, but a ship CAN be forced into normal space. In one of the Timothy Zahn books, the imperials had a ship that could project a gravity well into hyperspace, making another ship's on board computer "think" it had just hit black hole. Put said ship on a hyperspace route and voila! anybody traveling that route is going to be kicked out into normal space. Probably with very little warning.
*geek mode off*

now i am liking this story, since not only is it giving me a taste of a game I deeply want to get, but keven is pretty interesting in himself...much like luke, he thinks he is a plain person, but he will soon discover just how extraordinary he really is...

and I too liked the sheet scene... :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

I'm changing a few details because playing the game is the only way I can get details and playing the game would keep me from writing. I'm also trying to have a fun with the whole and that's how the sheet got put in there.

now the questions are...what exactly is keven planning? are you planning a literary version of the infamous bar scene from star wars? and why was that sith lady alone, and not bothered by anyone in that bar? could she have force powers? that would explain why she was left strictly alone in a rather unsavory bar...

keven better watch out...she could be a dark jedi...

She's not. In the game, people are leaving her alone because she's a stuck up little... but she warms up to you if you ask the right questions and show a little sympathy. AS for the other questions, answers will be forthcoming...

#6 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 07 August 2003 - 03:02 AM

[quote][quote]another evil mind at work here...
[/quote]

[quote]
btw...did you like my shotgun comment on the last story???[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Yeah, that's probably why you don't see shotgunsin SW. ;)
[/quote]

or rapid fire blasters...it sounds like you're much more of a fan than I am...(no offense intended...i personally am a diehard anime fan myself...) so why don't the republic or the sith have rapidfire blasters? do they blow up? oh, yeah, have you ever read sm stirling? in one book he notes that the lematte revolver, a 7 shot .32 cal revolver with a undermounted 20 gage shotgun was the best close range combat weapon invented short of a burp gun, so can you imagine a blaster pistol, with an old fashioned chem powered shotgun mounted under the barrel? that would seem to me to be the perfect weapon in a star wars universe...or a blaster with a grenade launcher...why don't they have more hybrid weapons like that??? :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

[quote]
besides, any ship lying in ambush can take advantage of the L2(?) position in orbital mechanics and gain a huge advantage...[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
*geek mode* Well, the biggest advantage you get from L2 is minimal energy requirements for any manuevers you want to make i.e. a ship deeper in the gravity has to exert more energy to change it's trajectory and a ship outside has to exert energy to match the velocity of a ship in orbit at a Lagrange point. Having said all that, SW ships don't look like they worry all that much about the energy requirements of space travel. :)
[/quote]

counter geek mode... :twisted: you forgot the second and third advantages, orbital mechanics and running stealthy...because a legrange point is stable, a ship could shut down its engines, damp all electronic emmissions and run silent...like the falcon in empire strikes back, and still remain in position to fire up engines and catch up to a ship making orbit...

orbital mechanics....ok, a planet is in orbit around a star, right? so a ship in legrange point would already be matching orbital velocity around a star, pretty close to the velocity an incoming ship would have to make a zero zero intercept to a planet, (zero to zero relative velocity to a planet) thus a ship lying doggo in a legrange position would not have to make a burn to match the orbital velocity of the planet that the target ship has just matched, to enter its orbit...this would save time, even if energy constraints are not a factor, and I agree with you there...

[quote]
But you're right about planets being the best place to find ships, though. Space is really big after all.
[/quote]

[quote]
Incidentally, it IS possible to intercept a ship in hyperspace. According to canon, traveling in hyperspace is really dangerous, because gravity wells that exist in normal space also exist in hyperspace. In fact, hyperspace gravity wells are a LOT more powerful in hyperspace. Flying too close to unmapped object, like a black hole, could end your trip real quick. There are sensors that are supposed to detect large gravity wells and drop you back to normal space, but because of the velocities involved, it's not always enough to save.
[/quote]

[quote]
Because of that, hyperspace travel tends to stick to scouted out "safe" routes and that helps increase the likelihood of an intercept. Now, no fighting can happen in hyperspace, but a ship CAN be forced into normal space. In one of the Timothy Zahn books, the imperials had a ship that could project a gravity well into hyperspace, making another ship's on board computer "think" it had just hit black hole. Put said ship on a hyperspace route and voila! anybody traveling that route is going to be kicked out into normal space. Probably with very little warning.
*geek mode off*
[/quote]

OOOO!!!! what a frikking ripoff!!!! sorry, I mean authors rip off ideas all the time, I sure do it, in my stories, but timmy zahn is ripping off a classic science fiction short story by larry niven...in one of his short story collections, is a story called "hole man", I think that was the title, where a pirate used a quantum black hole to "precipitate" ships out of hyperspace...and of course larry niven probably did a much better job of writing about it...he is of course one of the truely greats of science fiction...

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
and I too liked the sheet scene... :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
I'm changing a few details because playing the game is the only way I can get details and playing the game would keep me from writing. I'm also trying to have a fun with the whole and that's how the sheet got put in there.
[/quote]

good for you...my stories are all about fun, trying to get completely away from the morass of angst and rage most bhaalspawn stories seem to lose themselves in...

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
keven better watch out...she could be a dark jedi...[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
She's not. In the game, people are leaving her alone because she's a stuck up little... but she warms up to you if you ask the right questions and show a little sympathy. AS for the other questions, answers will be forthcoming...[/quote]

aha!!! she joins the gang!!!

I've read a little on the official website, and I know that the protagonist gathers a "rag-tag band o' heros" together...

more please...you write well, and I've always been interested in the star wars canon...not enough to actually read the books, though...too many bad authors trying to get rich...

i had no idea, that timmy zahn was writing star wars universe books, I really liked his black collar books and cobra series, and I've been wondering why he stopped writing them...

#7 Guest_kevtg_*

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:47 PM

or rapid fire blasters...it sounds like you're much more of a fan than I am...(no offense intended...i personally am a diehard anime fan myself...) so why don't the republic or the sith have rapidfire blasters? do they blow up? oh, yeah, have you ever read sm stirling? in one book he notes that the lematte revolver, a 7 shot .32 cal revolver with a undermounted 20 gage shotgun was the best close range combat weapon invented short of a burp gun, so can you imagine a blaster pistol, with an old fashioned chem powered shotgun mounted under the barrel? that would seem to me to be the perfect weapon in a star wars universe...or a blaster with a grenade launcher...why don't they have more hybrid weapons like that??? :wink: :) ;)

Ah, they do have rapid fire weapons. Recall the anti-personnel gun on the Millenium Falcon in Empire? It's just that a Jedi's force enhanced reflexescan handle it them. Especially towards the end of the game. High level Jedi are practically impervious to blaster fire.

I'm not a big fan of hybrid weapons though. I've carried the M16/M203 combo in the field and that's a lot of extra weight to carry around. an extra three or four pounds on the weapon plus an another 30 lbs in ammo that you can'tuse in any kind of close fight. One of the things they don't tell you in the movies is that a 203 round has to fly 50 meters before it even arms itself and then you don't want to use it on anything closer than 100 meters because of it's blasting radius. (effective radius is considered 50m but it'll through shrapnel out to 250). I'd rather carry a machinegun, which is heavier but has fewer constraints on expending ammo.

The Lemat had a few other issues, mostly because it was trying to many things at once. It's .32 caliber bullet was underpowered, it'sshotgun shell was only good at extreme close range, but it's weight and bulk made it unweildy at saidclose ranges. Plus it's breech had a tendency to loosen, makingit prone to chain fires (in a cap and ball revolver like the Lemat that meant the spark from one chamber ignition would spread to ajoining chambers and set of all the guns rounds at once, often blowing the whole gun. The old Walker colt .44's were particularly bad) THe Lemat was only popular with Confederate cavlary who would blaze away with them as they rode through enemy formations. They just liked it because it held more shots than a standard six-shooter.

OOOO!!!! what a frikking ripoff!!!! sorry, I mean authors rip off ideas all the time, I sure do it, in my stories, but timmy zahn is ripping off a classic science fiction short story by larry niven...in one of his short story collections, is a story called "hole man", I think that was the title, where a pirate used a quantum black hole to "precipitate" ships out of hyperspace...and of course larry niven probably did a much better job of writing about it...he is of course one of the truely greats of science fiction...

Oh, I doubt there's an original Sci/fi idea any in Star Wars. Let's not forget, that for all it's sci/fi trappings, Star Wars is essentially a fantasy. It's genius lies in the fact that it mixes sci/fi and fantasy in way that's not cheesy. (last two movies aside...)

good for you...my stories are all about fun, trying to get completely away from the morass of angst and rage most bhaalspawn stories seem to lose themselves in...

That's why I hardly ever wrote about the bhaalspawn. Almost all my other stories had to do with the "normal" people left behind in the hero's wake.

more please...you write well, and I've always been interested in the star wars canon...not enough to actually read the books, though...too many bad authors trying to get rich...

A friend of mine, Greg Keyes (wrote Waterborn, Newton's Cannon, etc..) got contracted to write a few Star wars books and he was forced to wade through the whole horrible morass. He said he would never do anything like that againno matter how much money they offered him.

i had no idea, that timmy zahn was writing star wars universe books, I really liked his black collar books and cobra series, and I've been wondering why he stopped writing them...

Timmy wrote first three Star wars novels to come out after the movie. Heir to the Empire was the first one I think. They were actually pretty good. Unfortunately, most of the authors who came after him weren't up to snuff. Like Kevin Anderson (ooo, did I say that out loud?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com