Side By Side

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Soris_*

Posted 19 December 2002 - 10:46 PM

Side By Side

Soris cried for what seemed like an eternity. Viconia didn’t really understand why tears seemed to ease the pain, but they did. She knew. When it became clear that he was not going to cease in the near future, she began to feel awkward. She looked about anxiously and attempted to decide what to do. Imoen watched her from across the campfire. Viconia started to move towards the fire, but Imoen made a “shooing” gesture and pointed at Soris, making a circle with both arms. Viconia understood the gesture and looked at Soris. Her heart began to race. She asked herself, Why do I feel this anxiety? I have embraced him countless times before.

A little voice from deep within her answered. Those times were in the heat of passion. This is different. This is…The voice stopped. Viconia waited for it to continue, to finish, but it never did.

Heart still racing, she moved away from the fire and sat down next to Soris. His sobs had stilled somewhat, but tears still flowed freely from his eyes, and he remained silent aside from the occasional sob. She tentatively put one arm around each shoulder and pulled him close. He came easily, and turned, allowing his head to rest on her shoulder. Neither of them said anything. She held him close, and his tears slowly soaked through the fabric of her tunic. She didn’t mind the wetness, and just as sleep started to overtake her, she noted that Soris had stopped crying. His breathing had slowed, and he seemed to be sleeping peacefully. She wondered if perhaps she should check his wounds, but she didn’t. She knew that the procedure would hurt some, and she didn’t want to wake him. Besides, she was tired, and the day had been exhausting. She took one last, lingering look at his sleeping form and then closed her eyes. Sleep took her immediately.

All around the camp, figures lay comatose, the toils of the Underdark having taken their toll. Even as the two-legs embraced unconsciousness, two beings remained alert. One perched upon a giant shoulder and slowly munched seeds gathered from the surrounding vegetation. The other sat with his head resting on crossed front paws, two great glowing orbs turned towards his Soris. His ears flicked about, searching for any sound that might betray an intruder. He found none. All was still, and despite the efforts of both little creatures, sleep eventually claimed them as well.

Soris was dreaming, and for once, it wasn’t a nightmare, at least not entirely. He was soaring amongst the stars and watching two figures make their way beneath him. One was a male, who carried a staff. The other was a female with long, silken, silver-white hair. Soris thought he recognized them. At first, the figures didn’t seem to trust each other, but they fought side-by-side, and he gradually noticed a bond forming between the two of them. Sometimes they slept together. Sometimes they fought, but they always faced the world side-by-side. Even descending into utter darkness did not separate them, not really. Side-by-side. He felt contented. He knew he was one of the figures, and he also knew the other one. He smiled and continued to watch. Suddenly the male pulled away, a look of pure terror on his face. He ran away from the female. She stood, alone, looking confused and hurt. Soris tried to cry out, to scream that it was over, but he had no voice. He could only watch as the male continued running. The female did not know what to do. She started to follow but hesitated. Soris tried to reach them, to bring them together, but his attempts were futile. He saw the wall that stood between them. He knew what it was, but he couldn’t break it down. That pain is over, he told himself, but his suffering did not end. He couldn’t and didn’t understand.

Viconia was just reaching that warm state, before waking, where the best dreams occur, when she was rudely awakened by the butt of a spear. Her eyes snapped open in time to see several armored figures moving about the camp. Elves! One of them prodded Soris with his spear. Soris’ little tiger began to growl, and Viconia’s temper flared. Without regards to the consequences, she grabbed the spear and jerked it from the startled soldier’s hands.

“Cease! Leave him. He is injured.” She tried to check Soris who was moaning in pain. Blood began to soak through his already stained robe. The soldier’s spear had broken open one of his wounds. Before she could do anything else, another spear prodded her, the pointy end this time. She turned, still crouched, and prepared her stolen spear for stabbing.

“Put down the weapon and step away from the man.” The guard’s voice betrayed little emotion.

Viconia saw that she now faced three elvish soldiers all armed with spears. She complied with their wishes and took a step away from Soris.

“That’s better. Now Drow, what are you doing here? Where are the rest of your kind?”

Viconia could see other guards gathering her companions. She counted ten guards in all. Viconia knew that the ten elvish soldiers wouldn’t have been a problem if they hadn’t been caught by surprised. She cursed her weakness.

The spear prodded again. “Get on with it, Drow.” The elf was loosing patience. Viconia was tempted to wait, to see just how far she could push him, but she would not risk violence, not when they were so close to Soris. He was still lying on the ground, but his eyes were open, and it looked like the bleeding had stopped. He was also pale. Not wanting to further irritate the guards, she spoke. “My name is Viconia, and my companions…” She gestured about the camp. “My companions and I have recently escaped the Underdark.”

“Escaped?” He laughed bitterly. “No one escapes unless they are performing some sort of service for the Drow. What is your mission? I know your ways, Drow. Do not lie to me.” The elf spat on her.

She concluded that he was the commander of the force that held them, but he gave her little time to think about anything else. “And what about this man here? I suppose you were just showing him a good time?” He pointed at the bloodstains on Soris’ robe.

Viconia knew what he thought and her eyes smoldered dangerously. Somewhere she couldn’t see, Eric growled. She spoke, the heat in her eyes spilling over into her voice. “I did not give him those wounds. I gave him worse. I watched the one who gave them die bleeding at his feet. But he did not see her. You are a fool if you think I would act so towards my companions. In truth I have acted much worse.

“Be silent! I will not tolerate your lies!” The elf lost his temper and struck Viconia just above her left eye. She didn’t flinch, and as he moved to strike again, Eric launched himself at the elf, sinking his teeth into the vulnerable spot just above the soldier’s boot. The elf cried out and kicked, sending the little tiger tumbling away. The soldier followed him with his spear. Eric retreated and stood behind Minsc. Minsc glared at the elf and spoke in a warning tone on the brink of a fierce berserker rage. “Minsc does not like that you treat his companions so. If you do not mend your evil ways then your rears will suffer the force of his mighty boot!”

Eric swooshed his tail to punctuate the remark, and the soldier took a step back, obviously surprised by the outburst from the large ranger. Keldorn chose that moment to intervene.

“Enough! These people are under the care of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart. As a representative of the Order, I demand that you treat them with respect.”

Keldorn spoke with a voice well used to command. Viconia was somewhat surprised by the paladin’s words, and she felt somehow grateful that he would choose to stand up for her. At the same time, it gnawed on her that she was forced to turn to others for aid in this situation. She touched the spot above her eye. It was tender and had already started to swell. She thought about healing it, but decided not to waste the spell. She would undoubtedly receive more abuse. The disrespect the elves showed her astonished her. She knew they hated the Drow, but she did not think that they would abuse her in front of non-Drow. She found herself gaining an even deeper respect for the paladin. He did not like her, but he had never struck her. He had found some way to contain his dislike. It was often better than she had done.

The elves all took another step back. The leader cocked an eyebrow. “A paladin? And you travel with a Drow? Just who are you anyway?”

“I am Sir Keldorn Firecam.”

At the mention of his name, several of the other soldiers’ eyes grew wide. Apparently the name, Firecam, was known amongst the elves. Viconia watched the leader, however, and his face remained a controlled neutral.

“Firecam? I’ve never heard of you, but the Order is respected by the elvish nation. It would be best if you kept it that way. As for the respect we owe you, I will take you to our leader, Elhan. He shall decide what to do with you, and your Drow.”

The soldiers led them through the elven war camp. Viconia watched as Soris managed to struggle along, leaning heavily on his staff. She wished that she had taken the time to heal him instead of sleeping like a weak-willed fool. It would be much easier for him, if he were healed. As they walked, she watched his guards closely and swore they would regret even the slightest mistreatment. She also took the opportunity to survey the elves that populated the camp. Most of them greeted her with hostile looks, but several also gave her a look that she had come to expect from males. It had never bothered her before, but it did now. She turned her eyes back to Soris.

They finally reached a larger tent in the center of the camp. Outside stood racks of weapons and equipment. Amongst the myriad of items stood three elves, two war sages and an impressive looking elf in a suit of fine elven chainmail. He turned to meet them, and Viconia could see the commander’s insignia on his armor. He took his time and looked the entire party over. His gaze lingered on Viconia longer than it should, and she thought she noticed something else in his eye before all was replace by a scowl of contempt. He immediately addressed the group.

“Who leads here? Speak quickly before I lose my patience. I have much to do, and you already bear a black mark for carrying a Drow within your midst.”

Viconia was about to step forward when Jaheira grabbed her arm. The druid shook her head, and Viconia understood the message. The elves would not accept her, even though she had led them all out of the Underdark. The elves would not accept her even if the other members, including the paladin, did. It didn’t matter what she did. Everywhere she turned she was rendered helpless. She bit back her words and allowed Keldorn to speak.

“I will speak for the group. What is it that you want? My companions and I do not appreciate the rude awakening and treatment we have been given. We have done no wrong to you.” The elves seemed to accept his words, and Elhan paused for a moment before giving his response.

“Yes, I realize these are not the best of circumstances, but I thank you for coming.”

The elf’s forced politeness made Viconia’s stomach wretch.
Keldorn continued. He did not seem bent on being overly polite to the elves, and Viconia was glad. “Yes, yes. Let us dispense with the pleasantries. It is not as if we had much choice in the matter.”

“I understand your feelings, but one can never be too careful.” He didn’t mention her, but Viconia knew where that comment was directed. Her anger continued to seethe. The elf continued speaking. She checked herself. “Now, we need to discern where your true allegiances lie. Speak the truth. My sages will detect the slightest falsehood. Now, are you in league with the Drow?” He posed the question in such a way that Viconia knew he assumed that they were agents of the Underdark. Viconia thought he was in for quite a surprise.

Keldorn fixed him with a stare than had probably slain a few dragons. “We are not in league with the Drow. We left them battered and bloody.”

“Truth.”

“Very well, so you are not in league with the Drow, but you still travel with one. Curious. What exactly were you doing in the Underdark?”

It was Imoen who answered this question, an angry tone shattering her normally cheerful demeanor. “We were pursuing Irenicus and his brat of a sister, Bodhi. They have caused us a good deal of trouble, and now we are going to end it. Once and for all.”

“Strong truth.”

The war sage set Imoen off. “Do they have to validate everything we say? We are not trying to deceive you. We just want to get out of here, and get on with finding Irenicus!”

“Truth.”

Imoen would have fought the war sages further, but Elhan continued his questioning. “So you know of this Irenicus and are not in league with him?”

Imoen answered, her anger still coloring her words. “No! We are not working with Irenicus but against him.” She shot a war sage a dangerous glance. He responded with one word.

“Truth.”

“Ah,” the elf continued. “You say you work against him. Perhaps you might prove to provide a window into his plans.”

“Nope. We really have no idea what he intends to do. I had the privilege of spending some quality time with the beast. He seems bent on paying someone back, and he holds a special resentment towards someone named Ellesime. I think they might have once been lovers.”

At the mention of Ellesime, Elhan’s face blanched, but he did not volunteer any more information. Viconia was glad to see that something had finally rattled the arrogant elf. She was disappointed when he reigned in his confusion to begin his questioning again. He spoke, “So he seeks vengeance. What part do you…”

The Drow was tired of the elf’s distrust. She wanted him to get on with his questioning, not dance around the same point endlessly. “Yes, he seeks vengeance. So what? Why are you out here? I find it doubtful that it takes so many of you to guard just one exit from the Underdark, but perhaps I misjudged your capabilities.” Her aim was to irritate the elf. She was very successful.

“Be silent, Drow! You are another matter, and I will deal with you shortly.” His look was one of hostility, but it was also the sideways leer he had given her before. It made her want to wretch, and she fell silent.

“That’s better.” Elhan’s voice was patronizing and a slightly condescending smile crossed his lips. He turned back to the rest of the party. “You seem sincere regarding both your past actions and your present motivations. Now, it is your future that must be decided. You are the enemy of our enemy. Classically, that might make you our friend, but for…obvious reasons, I do not trust you. However, our need is most dire, and so I think I may make use of you none-the-less.”

Keldorn once again assumed the lead. “We are not tools to be engaged in you purposes, but if your need is truly great, then we shall not turn you away. Please outline what you intend. Be brief. Our time is precious.”

“Truth.”

Keldorn shook his head. “We won’t help you if you don’t trust us.”

“False.”

Viconia muttered in disgust. Elhan continued. “It is true. Normally, we do not have so many soldiers here, but the Drow, inspired by Irenicus, invaded the nearby temple. We responded, and while we were gone, Irenicus took Suldanessellar.”

“So why didn’t you just re-take it? You seem to have lots of soldiers.” Imoen’s tone went from furious to inquisitive.

“If it were only that simple…Irenicus has done something to the city, and we can no longer find it.”

Elhan took on an annoyed expression as Viconia and Imoen exchanged smirks with Eric swishing his tail in a satisfied manner. The group was quickly put back into its place by stern stares from both Keldorn and Jaheira.

“Minsc thinks that the evil man needs many hard kicks to the rear for destroying a whole city. Boo and Minsc say he must feel JUSTICE!”

The elven commander actually smiled at the ranger’s comment. “Yes, he does need justice, but he has not destroyed the city, not yet. He has hidden it so that none may find it while he works his evil.”

Keldorn was left perplexed. “Then what is it you wish us to do? If you cannot find it with your truth-seeing sages, I don’t see what use we will be to you.”

The elf gave a knowing nod and continued with his story. “Within the temple was an ancient artifact with much power, the Rhynn Lanthorn. It is attuned to the ancient magics that flow through the city. With it, none could hide Suldanessellar from us. We could simply walk to the city. Unfortunately, during the attack, someone stole it. We do not know who has done so, and we do not know where it might be.”

“Could the Drow have taken it?” Imoen now seemed to sympathize with the elf.

Elhan frowned. “No, the Drow are still somewhat connected to normal elves. My sages would be able to detect it if it were in any elven territory. We cannot detect it. Our conclusion is that it is no longer within Elven lands.”

“Bodhi! Only she would commit such an act. We know where she will be, Athkatla.”

“You have had dealings with this Bodhi before?”

“Yes, she is Irenicus’ sister, the only one with whom he would entrust even a small portion of his plans. And, she has my soul.”

Jaheira broke in. “She has a lair in Athkatla. She will most likely take the Lanthorn there. We faced her there once before, but we resolved nothing then.”

“Good, then you will go and retrieve the Lanthorn.”

Keldorn nodded. “Yes, but Bodhi well be very strong. Any support you can lend us will make the task easier.”

“I’m sorry, but I have few enough soldiers as it is. The battle with the Drow has not gone well. Besides, the Amnish authorities would frown if I sent elvish agents into their territory. You will have to seek aid from more local sources. Surely you have contacts who would be willing to lend you aid. It is an important task.”

Viconia scowled. The wael was sending them on an important mission. They were doing his dirty work, and he refused to give them aid. I some ways, she thought he was worse than the Drow. Solaufein, for one, had been willing to assist them. Still, she would perform this elf’s task. They all would. It would bring them closer to restoring Soris and his sister. She looked at her mrann d’ssinss. His eyes were no longer clouded over. He was obviously in pain, but he was listening to the conversation closely. He bears his pain well. Perhaps now I can do something for him. In many ways, he reminded her of her brother, Valas. Both males had a sort of quite strength, drive and the will to endure. In the end, she had failed Valas, and she had nearly failed Soris. Somehow, she had a second chance with him. She was determined not to waste it.

Keldorn continued to bargain. “Perhaps you could replenish our supplies. We will also need stakes and holy water for combating the vampires surrounding Bodhi.”

Elhan nodded. “That we can do.” He gestured to one of his aides who retrieved the supplies from nearby chests. Jaheira took them and distributed them throughout the party.

“The water is filled with the wrath of the elven gods and should prove to be quite potent.”

While the supplies were distributed Imoen asked another question. “Why did Irenicus take Suldanessellar? What does he have against the elves?”

Elhan frowned. “We do not know. We do not understand why a human would wish such evil upon us. We have done nothing to the human, Jon Irenicus.”

Viconia could see that the war sages were not completely comfortable with Elhan’s explanation. She knew he was leaving something out, but before she could make her concern known the supplies were distributed.

Keldorn nodded. “Thank you. Are we free to go?”

The elf’s face hardened once again. “Not quite yet. I said that we would deal with the Drow, and so we shall. She cannot be allowed to travel with you. She is a risk to our cause.”

Keldorn was struck dumb for a moment. “What would you have us do with her?”

Viconia was appalled that Keldorn would even entertain the suggestion that she leave the party. She knew that he did not like her, and she was not overly fond of him, but the had fought beside each other for some time. She had gained respect for both his abilities in combat and out of it. She had thought that he had gained some measure of respect for her as well. Perhaps she had been wrong.

“You shall leave her here, where she can be watched.”

“Oh yes, under your gentle care.” A sarcastic tone that sounded suspiciously like Viconia found its way into Imoen’s voice. “Vic is my friend, and I’m not going to leave her here.”

“Minsc thinks pretty Viconia fights quite well, and Boo smells no trace of treachery.”

Viconia was very pleased, and slightly surprised by the loyalty her… friends, were showing, even the addled one. It was somehow very flattering. She waited to see if Soris would say anything. To her disappointment, he remained silent. A dangerous light, however, danced in his eyes.

Despite her friends’ assurances, the elf refused to budge. “The Drow will not accompany you. She must remain here.”

Keldorn fixed the elf with his sternest gaze. “She will not be harmed?” It was not quite a question.

Before the elf could respond, Soris took a step forward and began to speak. His voice cracked from several days’ worth of disuse, but he was clearly assuming command.

“You have asked us to do this task. Either we do it with the group with which we are comfortable, or we do not do it at all. There will be no compromise.” His voice was hard, and he fixed Elhan with a defiant stare. It made Viconia proud.

Elhan fist adopted a look of surprise after Soris’ response. It rapidly changed to one of indignation and finally, to one of anger. “If this is the way it must be, fine! But she will swear an oath of loyalty to our cause.”

Soris nodded, as did Viconia. She walked over and stood before her lover. She looked up into his eyes and swore her oath. “I have stood beside you for some time now, and I have not betrayed you. Not in the way Elhan fears. I now swear upon my own name and upon the name of House DeVir. Soris, you will have no treachery from me. I will not betray you. On any counts.” She smiled at him, and he held her gaze for a brief moment before addressing Elhan. “There. It is done, and I am more than satisfied. We will take our leave from you now.” Soris made it clear that he was done negotiating with the elf. Soris turned and began to walk out of the camp.

“Wait.” Elhan’s voice filled with malice. “You would accept the word of a Drow?”

Soris slowly walked back and stood in front of the elf. He slowly pulled himself up with the aid of his staff until he stood straight. He clenched his teeth in pain. “A Drow, no, but I would trust Viconia with my life. I do not care if you do not. If you do not agree to my terms, then our negotiations are over. We shall go our separate ways.”

“I’m afraid you do not understand. You wish to find Irenicus. You will need the Lanthorn. Without my aid you cannot operate it. You will never find the city. I’m afraid I am the one who dictates the terms here.”

Soris lowered his head to place his face mere inches from his elven adversary’s. “Name your terms.” Viconia recognized the fury that now dwelt in Soris’ eyes. It was the fury of Bhaal, the fury of the slayer. She feared for what would happen next.

The elf spoke, his eyes locked with Soris’. “Since you will not leave it. It will have to accept a geas, a geas specific to me. I will be the judge of her treachery.”

Soris face contorted into a mask of rage. His form wavered for a moment before he regained control. “Never. She has a name. It is Viconia. I suggest you use it and I will not leave her in the hands of a fiend such as you.”

Elhan nodded sadly. His guards readied their spears. Behind them, archers nocked arrows. It was all so stupid. Viconia would not have her mrann d’ssinss perish because of the weakness of the elf. She hated the thought of being bound to him, but she saw no other choice.

“Wait. This choice is mine. Soris, I will not betray you. If this fool needs a geas to convince him of that, then so be it. I accept. Get it over with.”

Elhan stepped back and one of the war sages waved his hands over Viconia and chanted. He then waved his hands over Elhan and finished the chant. The geas spell settled onto her.

It took all of her strength to remain on her feet. She had never felt so violated in her entire life. The geas felt perverse, and it sickened her. Soris took a step towards her, but she waved him off. Just when she thought she could no longer tolerate it no longer, the feeling subsided to a faint queasiness.

Soris waited for the remainder of the party to move away. He had seen Viconia falter, and he gave the elf such a glare that the elf had no choice but to fall back. Soris pressed his advantage and spoke. “I don’t know what you did to her, but when this task is done, you will undo it. It is in your best interest to leave her unharmed. You have not made a friend here today. If I were you, I would fear me more than Irenicus.” Soris did not give the elf another chance to speak. The human sorcerer turned his back and walked away, leaning heavily on his staff.

As they walked out of the camp through the elven forests Viconia walked with Soris and Eric. For the remainder of the day, they pressed on towards Athkatla in almost complete silence. At dusk they stopped to make camp. Before they parted to carry out their specific tasks Viconia took Soris by his arm and pulled him close. She moved her mouth to his lips. He gasped and pulled away. He barely rasped out, “Please, don’t do this.” She looked into his eyes. His face was awash in terror. Startled, she released him and watched in stunned silence as he retreated across the camp, away from her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com