Jaxle the Adventurer: Prologue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_ShadowHunter_*

Posted 02 August 2003 - 07:18 PM

hello again, serial readers. I know ive had a lot of bad, or rather, unfollowed-up stories. that was probably because of the plot errors that u guys pointed out to me. no that ur in the wrong. but anyway, they just kinda made me realize it, and i dropped it, ya know? well, heres my new story. this is when the main character was a boy, and before he will go out adventuring. here it is...

Prologue: Never Give Up
Two brothers circled each other, wooden swords in their hand. They were only ten and nine, yet they viciously fought like this every week. The older one had blond hair, and dark blue eyes. The eyes were different than almost anyone’s he had known- almost navy blue or black. And he loved them. The girls did too. He had a sinister smile on his face, for he had prolonged the “death,” or fake heart stabbing or throat slitting, of his brother for some time. And now he had him.

The younger of the boys was almost the exact opposite. His hair was wavy and black, and his emerald eyes shown like orbs from his tan, worn skin. Cuts and bruises covered the skin from constant beating from his brother, and the more recent ones from the fight today. But the smaller boy would not give up. He, as both of them, took the fights seriously, and giving up was admitting you were wrong. They tried to settle a variety of different disputes, not the least of them being augments over chores, how pretty girls were, and who was better. But regardless of what the battle was about, their father always asked who had won when he got home and found out. And the older brother always one.

Their father was a proud man; respectable and handsome. He worked all day as a high-ranking officer in the Athkatla’s guard, but when he got home to his beautiful wife and young boys, he was completely a family man. He was the one that had taught the boys to fight, and he was the one they respected and admired. And that was always why they fought. Not to settle the disputes, for they almost always came up again, but to earn more and more respect from their father.

A rush and a swing sent the smaller boy to the ground. “Get up, girl. I have yet to end your life,” the older boy taunted. He spit one the ground in front of his brother, and the younger boy started to rise. He picked up his short, wooden sword, and took his stance, although he was still dizzy from the whack on the head his brother had just given him. The younger one showed his teeth in a pitiful attempt at a growl, and the older smiled at the blood in his brother’s mouth. “I think I’ll end it, Jaxle. You look pitiful enough,” the elder boy taunted.

Jaxle gave out another attempt at a roar, and ran at his brother full force. But the bigger and more experienced boy sidestepped the run, and slapped the flat of the sword against his brother back. Maybe he wasn’t done with him yet. Jaxle fell to the ground, and rolled over, narrowly dodging the dulled edge coming for his chest. Then he realized he should have rolled to the other side, for he had left his sword behind. The elder brother picked up the sword, and taunted Jaxle some more. “Come on, beg for it. Kiss my feet and I’ll spare your life, boy. Beg…”

“Never, Regen. Kick me and hit me all you want. I won’t give in to you. You’re wrong and you know it.”

Jaxle tried to get up, but his brother hit him again with the flat of the sword, and Jaxle fell to the ground again. Regen’s voice became sinister, almost vile. “Beg. Now. You couldn’t beat a girl with a sword. You’re worthless.” This was followed by a kick in the ribs when Jaxle didn’t respond.

The fights always started playful, with light taps showing where you had opened your guard. But as time wore on, and his sibling didn’t give up, Regen would grow…into something. His face would grow into a scowl, casting dark shadows over it, even in the midday sun.

And now those shadows showed themselves again. Jaxle started to get up again, and dodged another kick from Regen. He grabbed Regen’s leg, and jerked it, bringing Regen onto the ground and making him drop the swords. Jaxle pushed himself up, and turned away. But before he could walk back to the house, Regen was up again, and grabbed Jaxle from behind. Regen was almost a foot taller then his brother, even through Jaxle was only a year younger.

Regen brought his hands up around his brother’s neck, and before Jaxle could responded, the older brother twisted his arms, cutting off the air into Jaxle’s lungs. Jaxle struggled, but his brother was much stronger than he, and he couldn’t move. Jaxle threw his elbow back into Regen’s ribs, sending him out of breath and a little backward. But he still held on. His was in rage now, and his face showed it. Hs eyes burned with passion, and his month was slithered into a smile. Jaxle’s face was turning purple, and he was beginning to faint.

Just then a pretty woman stepped into the yard. “Get off him, Regen! Get off him!” She rushed over, and had to pull Regen off his brother. Jaxle fell to the floor, and breathed deeply.

“You bite, mom. I can’t ever have any fun. Regen headed through the door in which his mother had come, into their spacious estate. Their father had made a fortune by keeping the order in Athkatla, and they got everything they could have wanted. When the color returned to Jaxle’s face, he looked up into his mom’s sky-blue eyes. His mother tried to smile, and picked Jaxle up, bringing him inside.

They sat down, and his mother got a wet towel and started to wipe the blood and dirt off his face. His nose was bleeding, his mouth was bloody, and he had cuts and splinter covering him, along with bruises. “Why?” she asked him. “Why do you fight him, when you know he will beat you?” She had never approved of the fighting, and tried to stop them, but they did it when she wasn’t home or doing something else.

“Because I can beat him. Because I will beat him. And because I will never give up, or back down.”

His mother just shook her head, lost in the manly version of honor.

what da ya think?

#2 Guest_kevtg_*

Posted 03 August 2003 - 02:54 PM

You know, at the fencing club in Atlanta I used to train at before joining the Army, there's a family called the Jacobsons. All they've got is daughter, but oldest girl is number one in the world in women's saber and the next youngest on is only a few spots behind her. Those two act exactly like this. Well... except for being girls and all...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com