Bhaalspawn Union 2 - the negotiations

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:45 AM

BhaalSpawn Union 2 - The negotiations

Inglor wheeled round to see who had addressed him, his weapon already drawn. He had moved into perfect battle position automatically, the Stream of Anguish flashing golden in the dim glow of the Abyssal plane and the Circlet of Netheril gleaming on his brow.

'You can put the weapon away, Godchild', said the newcomer, taking no great notice of the overdramatic reaction of the elf. 'I come in peace'.

'I am glad of that, my Lord'. Inglor's voice was quiet and firm, yet formal and distant. He acknowledged the stranger with a slight bow, but the inclination of his head was very little, the bow almost perfunctory. 'I would offer you a seat, were it not impossible to maintain any furniture in this plane'. His words implied more than any discourse could have produced. He had also not relaxed his guard.

The deity, for Inglor plainly perceived that he was face to face with an Avatar of a deity, seemed amused by the reaction of the elf. He was also quick enough to spot that the Bhaalspawn was not one to indulge long speeches or obtuse hints. The remark about the furniture had not escaped him. He knew that that was the Child's way of telling him to get to the point and that swiftly. He knew he would have to be cautious with this Spawn to have any chance of success in his mission. He carefully considered his next words, knowing they would have a vital impact on the outcome of his mission.

Inglor, on his part, for the first time perceived that the deity was attired in grey and carried a sword that shone like a star in the gloomy clouds of sulphurous smoke of the plane - a sword that seemed to be honed for the one purpose of destroying undead. The deity appeared a little travel worn, but little the worse for wear. He identified the cold will and courage in the clear eyes and the square jaw. He recognised the insignia and paraphernalia of the Lord of the Dead.

Before the deity had a chance to speak again, Inglor spoke 'I am truly honoured to host the Lord of the Dead in these halls. That His Lordship has deigned to visit my humble abode is proof of His concern for me. May I benefit from his counsel?' Flattering as these words were, they were spoken in the same detached tone that he had previously employed that they conveyed nothing of his intentions.

Kelemvor sighed inwardly. This would be difficult. This Bhaalspawn was not one to give any information about himself, if he could help it; this he knew would make things more difficult. They were both silently fencing with their wills, each assessing the other as quietly and thoroughly as possible. Inglor had felt the deity's searching gaze run over him like a fever and knew he would have to play his game carefully, if he desired any advantage. He knew that Kelemvor had some purpose in visiting him, some purpose that would be of advantage to Kelemvor, and perhaps to Inglor as well. Well, he would extract everything possible out of this bargain if it was sustainable; but to do that he needed to know Kelemvor's intentions and the only way to get to know them was to give only that information that it was necessary to give.

Kelemvor spoke 'The Bhaalspawn Saga draws towards a close, Godchild. You are to be congratulated on your good work.'

'Why would it be of concern to you, my Lord'.

Challenging as the words were, they were spoken in a neutral tone, as devoid of gentleness as of rancour.

After a moment, Kelemvor spoke again. He said, 'It may well be that Bhaal may have a successor soon, or it may be that his Throne shall remain empty forever. This is an event of divine significance. A few of us have little desire to see Bhaal return. Have you considered your options, Bhaalspawn?'

'Why should it be my choice, my Lord? There are other Bhaalspawn.'

'Child, you cannot be ignorant of the fact that the whole episode hinges on you. This was foretold to you by the Spirits in the Elven Grove, as well as by the Solar, who has been assisting you in this quest, if you have not foreseen it yourself. Your choice - for you alone of the Bhaalspawn can make that choice - will determine the outcome of the saga.'

'Assuming that I get to make a choice. Amelyssan still awaits me in the Throne of Bhaal.'

'Yes, that is true. If she were to succeed, I shudder to think of the carnage she would let loose. She is a true priestess of Bhaal and would unleash such a wave of violence, bloodshed and misery that there will soon be many more cities that will share the fate of Saradush. But I have full confidence in you and believe that you will prevail over her, as you have done with the others.'

'Neither I nor the other Gods may intervene in this conflict among the Bhaalspawn, so I cannot help you materially. But I have one piece of advice for you. The Bhaalspawn have always been the worst enemies of the Bhaalspawn. They have hunted down their own kind for a long time in pursuit of power and pelf. There is a curious irony in this, for after you make the choice at the Throne, the only hope for the Bhaalspawn shall come from the Bhaalspawn themselves.'

'I do not understand you, my Lord' said Inglor gravely.

'Child, you have many enemies, both mortal and divine. You have antagonised many in your long journey, some deliberately and some inadvertently. Thus far the Gods were constrained by the Edict of Ao not to intervene in the Bhaalspawn wars. Once you make the choice at the Throne, there will be no such restraint on them. You will have many powerful and tireless foes. Your only hope, I am afraid, comes from your own kind, the other Bhaalspawn. Whatever choice you make, your life will not be easy.'

'The Bhaalspawn that are still alive are with me, my Lord. I have little to fear from them.'

I do not refer to the Bhaalspawn that are already ranged on your side, Child. I refer to those that have been brought low by your hand. They were mighty Bhaalspawn, nearly your equal in their prowess and valour. It is from them that hope comes for you. I may add that you are their only hope as well.'

'I am deeply grateful to you, my Lord, for your advice. I trust I shall get to make the choice and I will make whatever choice I feel is appropriate for me and my companions.'

'Inglor, do you wish to accept the essence ..' began Aerie in a horrified tone, only to be silenced by an almost imperious wave of Inglor's hand. 'If I get to make that choice, I shall keep your words in consideration.'

Kelemvor smiled on hearing Inglor mention his companions, 'Think on what I have said Godchild. We shall meet again before the end of this business.'

In another flash of light, Kelemvor was gone. Inglor stood quietly for a long time, but none of the others dared to interrogate him about his words with Kelemvor.

He said quietly, 'There was a lot in that little speech and I shall certainly have to think on it.' Aloud he said, 'We get some rest now and then go on to challenge our dear friend Amelyssan in the Throne of Bhaal'

#2 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 02 August 2003 - 05:38 PM

Inglor, on his part, for the first time perceived that the deity was attired in grey and carried a sword that shone like a star in the gloomy clouds of sulphurous smoke of the plane - a sword that seemed to be honed for the one purpose of destroying undead. The deity appeared a little travel worn, but little the worse for wear. He identified the cold will and courage in the clear eyes and the square jaw. He recognised the insignia and paraphernalia of the Lord of the Dead.

Kelemvor? What's he doing there.

Challenging as the words were, they were spoken in a neutral tone, as devoid of gentleness as of rancour.

After a moment, Kelemvor spoke again. He said, 'It may well be that Bhaal may have a successor soon, or it may be that his Throne shall remain empty forever. This is an event of divine significance. A few of us have little desire to see Bhaal return. Have you considered your options, Bhaalspawn?'

So! It's an interrogation.

'Yes, that is true. If she were to succeed, I shudder to think of the carnage she would let loose. She is a true priestess of Bhaal and would unleash such a wave of violence, bloodshed and misery that there will soon be many more cities that will share the fate of Saradush. But I have full confidence in you and believe that you will prevail over her, as you have done with the others.'

Stroking his ego a little. :shock:

'Neither I nor the other Gods may intervene in this conflict among the Bhaalspawn, so I cannot help you materially. But I have one piece of advice for you. The Bhaalspawn have always been the worst enemies of the Bhaalspawn. They have hunted down their own kind for a long time in pursuit of power and pelf.

Pelf? I don't know that word.

There is a curious irony in this, for after you make the choice at the Throne, the only hope for the Bhaalspawn shall come from the Bhaalspawn themselves.'

Bhaal would have loved it.

Nice story

Hunter

#3 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:38 PM

Kelemvor? What's he doing there.

meddling in the affairs of others - as usual.

So! It's an interrogation

More or less, yes.

Stroking his ego a little. :shock:

Kel wants his job done.

Pelf? I don't know that word.

wealth.

There is a curious irony in this, for after you make the choice at the Throne, the only hope for the Bhaalspawn shall come from the Bhaalspawn themselves.'

Bhaal would have loved it.

Nice story

Sure he would.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

#4 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 02 August 2003 - 08:43 PM

The deity, for Inglor plainly perceived that he was face to face with an Avatar of a deity, seemed amused by the reaction of the elf. He was also quick enough to spot that the Bhaalspawn was not one to indulge long speeches or obtuse hints. The remark about the furniture had not escaped him. He knew that that was the Child's way of telling him to get to the point and that swiftly. He knew he would have to be cautious with this Spawn to have any chance of success in his mission. He carefully considered his next words, knowing they would have a vital impact on the outcome of his mission.

Testing each other , aren't they? Makes sense if they are to make a deal.

Good description - I actually like Kelemvor, despite his many shortcomings. He is a novel concept for the deity of Death - neutral to the core and fair, although there many strange things he inherited from his predecessor.

Kelemvor spoke 'The Bhaalspawn Saga draws towards a close, Godchild. You are to be congratulated on your good work.'

So, he approves? :shock:

'Why should it be my choice, my Lord? There are other Bhaalspawn.'

Well, technically only him and Imoen ( and maybe Baltazar? hmm)

The deity of Death who actually dislikes the carnage ... I told you - he is a novelty.

'Child, you have many enemies, both mortal and divine. You have antagonised many in your long journey, some deliberately and some inadvertently. Thus far the Gods were constrained by the Edict of Ao not to intervene in the Bhaalspawn wars. Once you make the choice at the Throne, there will be no such restraint on them. You will have many powerful and tireless foes. Your only hope, I am afraid, comes from your own kind, the other Bhaalspawn. Whatever choice you make, your life will not be easy.'

Ah! Good point. A VERY good point.

I do not refer to the Bhaalspawn that are already ranged on your side, Child. I refer to those that have been brought low by your hand. They were mighty Bhaalspawn, nearly your equal in their prowess and valour. It is from them that hope comes for you. I may add that you are their only hope as well.'

A little vague perhaps?

'I am deeply grateful to you, my Lord, for your advice. I trust I shall get to make the choice and I will make whatever choice I feel is appropriate for me and my companions.'

Proud ain't we?

He said quietly, 'There was a lot in that little speech and I shall certainly have to think on it.' Aloud he said, 'We get some rest now and then go on to challenge our dear friend Amelyssan in the Throne of Bhaal'

It was a mysterious visit indeed. But we will see what this was all about soon, I hope? :roll:

Cheers!

#5 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 04 August 2003 - 02:16 PM

Testing each other , aren't they? Makes sense if they are to make a deal.

Yup. They are both going to go in hammer and tongs, trying to extract the best deal that is feasible.

Good description - I actually like Kelemvor, despite his many shortcomings. He is a novel concept for the deity of Death - neutral to the core and fair, although there many strange things he inherited from his predecessor.

Your ideas inspired that piece, actually. And yes, I am more or less fond of Kelemvor as well.

So, he approves? :roll:

He is trying to be polite, more likely. He probably considers Inglor the least of the evils.

Well, technically only him and Imoen ( and maybe Baltazar? hmm)

There are a few others that probably escaped Saradush and there was the guy who teleports away in Saradush (I forget the lightning wand guy's name)

The deity of Death who actually dislikes the carnage ... I told you - he is a novelty.

Well, Kel is neutral and I thought he would not like wanton death.

Ah! Good point. A VERY good point.

Thank you.

A little vague perhaps?

Well, in a way. Kel does not want to put all the cards on the table until Inglor commits to giving up the essence.

Proud ain't we?

Yes. Inglor is a gold elf every inch. He is extremely haughty.

It was a mysterious visit indeed. But we will see what this was all about soon, I hope? :roll:
Cheers!

Thanks for reading and commenting.
B'Shalom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com