Baldur's Gate/Off - 19 - Mourning and Knight

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 25 July 2003 - 02:01 AM

19. Mourning and Knight

"Wowwie wow!!" Imoen exclaimed as her party strode towards the Song of the Morning temple just east of Beregost. "It's so...so..."

Jaheira supplied, "Garish? Gaudy? Showy? Overwrought? Compensatory? Extravagant? Ostentatious? Meretric-"

Onyx in turn interrupted, "So, Jaheira, I guess I've just figured out how you knew Gorion..."

Jaheira went deathly pale and Khalid nearly tripped over himself.

"...You sound like you obviously used to work at the library!" The paladin laughed and the half-elves calmed again. He'd intended the joke for no more than it was, but his companions' overreactions weren't lost on him. Viconia snickered as well.

Relieved but still fuming at her charge's jest, Jaheira snarled, "I stand by my adjectives."

"Hey now guys," Garrick shrugged, "What's wrong with extravagant and showy?"

His companions' ten eyes all immediately set themselves on his loud, multicolored, nigh-blinding jester's outfit. "That," Viconia said bluntly, pointing at his garments, "Is what is wrong with showy." Several of the others laughed.

The bard sighed dejectedly while Viconia glared at Jaheira and declared, "You know, elg'caress, as much as it pains me to admit something useful escaped those misshapen lips of yours, Lathander's clergy and architects do clearly have the aesthetic sense of simpering rivvel children. These bright primary colors," she gestured forward to the temple's many red stained-glass domes, white marble walls, and golden yellow banners, "And blockish shapes," she gesticulated gracefully as if caressing its flat, rectangular walls and hemispherical domes, "remind you of the playthings of your young, do they not? A temple of Shar, now that is a sight to behold. The elegant twisting forms, the subtle, delectable deep purples and blacks - bah, this temple is a bright, burning abdonimation itself, like your accursed sun!"

"Very perceptive," Onyx grinned semi-sarcastically at the drow, "That's precisely the idea. Lathander is the Morninglord, the Dawnbringer. He and your Nightsinger are, well, night and day."

Viconia snorted. "You speak of him so reverently. You and I, rivvel-jaluk, are night and day."

"Yes," Onyx smiled, and procured his holy symbol, "We are."

Viconia might as well have been a vampiress for her reaction to the token. "You..." she snarled, "Worship that vain, hypocritical god?"

"You already knew I was a paladin," Onyx smiled, "Would you prefer Tyr? Torm? Helm? 'The righteous path of Helm'?" his voice lifted in pitch and virbrato, in imitation of another knight's.

Viconia brooded quietly, fuming. "Lathander has proved more...pliable than some of his cronies," she smiled confidently.

"Yes, he is flexible, and optimistic," Onyx looked pointedly at Viconia, and caught her deep, dark eyes with his, "He sees the good that can come of anything...or anyone."

"Equivocate not, 'divine champion'," Viconia snorted in disdain. "You are of the morning, I am the night."

"No, 'lossmaiden'," Onyx disagreed, "You are of the mourning, I am the knight."

Viconia spat upon the ground in utter disgust, and said nothing more.

"Ooooh," Imoen exclaimed as they went inside the temple. "It's even prettier in here!"

Even Viconia could not help gasping as they entered the vaulted chamber. The stained-glass domes above let much kadeidoscopic filtered sunlight through, to the drow's wincing disappointment, and though she would have sooner died than admit it, it was a fascinating sight. Reds, blues, golds, all sorts of light colors flooded everywhere.

Most prominently, in the center of the chamber rose a large marble statue, of a robed man who "held" a suspended glowing orb. It was like a small sun, and Viconia reflexively winced, but then noticed, strangely, that it was actually strangely appearing to behold, its light cool and unburning.

"Hey," Garrick nodded, "It's mayor Keldath Ormlyr! He's a priest here too, ya know. Not a bad guy. Likes music. The lady's Marianne."

Standing at the base of the statue were a human couple, clearly clerics of Lathander from their vestments. That was to be expected, it being a temple of samesaid deity, but around them were three creatures that most of the group had never seen - sirens. Their bodies were esquisitely curved and beautiful, and clad sparingly in silken blue 'robes,' two-piece loincloths really, that revealed nearly all of their soothing green-blueish skin. Their hair too was long and palish silver-white and silken, flowing naturally over their rounded bodies as waterfalls over the rocks they have smoothed, and smooth indeed their maidenly bodies were. Their elegant faces sang what must have been the most beautiful melody that most of the adventurers had ever heard. Onyx, charged by the beauty overloading multiple senses, including that of his patron's divine presence, exhaled like a man reborn.

Garrick was more singularly focuses on the nymphs (as was Khalid until a withering glare from Jaheira), and so Viconia. "It would seem there are some constants among clergies," she caught Onyx's gaze, and led it from the nymphs, to Keldath, then tossed back her own hair and thought fondly of many a male slave over the centuries.

"We revere beauty and love," the paladin rejoined, "Apart from status and power."

"Welcome!" thundered Keldath, a trim, early-30s man with light brunette hair, opening his arms in greetings. "The traveling adventurer is never turned away from a house of Lathander, as we strive to aid all who make a difference in the Realms."

Onyx smiled at Viconia with a look that read See?

The priest continued, smiling genuinely, "If you are battle-worn we can extend a number of necromantic restorations, whatever your need."

"Thank you, but we are well," Onyx greeted the mayor, then turned to the woman. "Lady Marianne was it?"

"Yes," the blonde woman smiled.

"You wouldn't be the wife of a Roe, would you, Miss?" Onyx continued.

Marianne gasped, and held her hands over her head. "I-is he alright! He is on a business trip to Amn! He was to send word of his safety once he reached there, but it...it never came."

"Then," Onyx procured a dirty letter and handed it to her, "This should ease your mind, though pray for the life of the halfling messenger whose body we found it upon just outside the city. He fell victim to bandits, I presume, but the letter bears out your husband's safe arrival in Athkatla."

Marianne read the letter eagerly, "Oh thank you! Thank you. This...is both wonderful and terrible news. The poor messenger...alas, these are dark days."

Keldath nodded. "And growing darker. Let us hope that your husband comes soon back from Amn...and war does not."

"Please," Marianne withdrew a ring from her finger, and held it in an open palm out to Onyx, "Please take this."

"Thank you," Viconia answered for Onyx, for she had been afraid he might foolishly refuse, snapping up the right from the human woman, "A ring of protection. Why thank you, rivvel," she handed it to Onyx forcefully.

Onyx tossed the ring to Imoen. She hasn't the strength for heavy armor as we do. The girl not only caught it of course, but had it on her finger just as soon, and smiled down at the golden band, then to her friend, who turned again to Keldath. "We merely came to pay our respects. And," he smiled at Imoen, who proudly held up a pouch of coins, "To return some of your fair city's hard-earned gold. A pickpocket's spoils, and as their rightful owners are apparently not among those who write their names upon their coins," he chuckled and winked, "What better place to leave them than here?"

"You..." Viconia snarled at Onyx as Imoen gleefully bounded over to the collection plate, "...fool! Are you mad!? Throwing away your gold to some...vain, extravagant god and his bureaucracy?" She waved her arms around at the vaulted chamber. Keldath and the rest of the party looked on awkwardly, but Viconia certainly did not care, nor did she seem to.

"You know, Viconia," Jaheira glared hard at the drow with a smirk, "As much as it pains me to admit something useful escaped those fat lips of yours..." while Viconia scoffed with indignation, Jaheira quickly switched her burning glare to Onyx, "Lathander isn't exactly know for...frugality."

Over the pleasant clinking of coins raining into the collection plate as Imoen held the bag over them, Keldath coughed, and gently said to Jaheira while looking at her and Viconia, "All that comes to the church benefits our town."

Jaheira grimaced skeptically, muttering something about church and state, and Viconia outright laughed with disdain. "As much a waste!"

Onyx looked sidelong at Viconia tiresomely. "It is of my share, you know."

"And mine!" Imoen protested.

"Ah, problem solved," the drow cooed.

"Brother," Keldath's warm gaze looked upon Onyx, "You are a knight of our lord, I sense?"

"Yes," the paladin smiled. "I am. I did not grow up in a...town with a shrine or temple to Lathander, only Oghma. This is, in fact, my first time being in a house of our Lord. His presence is almost palpable, and my spirits feel raised simply being here."

"And a good thing for you, Onyx of Candlekeep," Keldath smiled, for he had not been given this man's name, "For you have much need of hope. As you can see, I am not unaware of the situation regarding your current popularity with mercenaries, I'm afraid."

"And you have recognized me as easily as they."

"Sadly, yes," the mayor sighed, "And I imagine that is why you hide our Lord's emblem under your mail. Appreciable common-sense that sadly seems lacking in some of our colleagues," he chuckled. "I could offer to hide you, but something tells me you would rather seek justice. And this is not only courageous but wise, for though I know little more of your plight than you do, I feel sure that your best defense is offense, and you will have to destroy what seeks to destroy you."

"Obviously," Viconia stated from the back of the party.

While exchanging a glance with Khalid, Jaheira quietly thought to herself, We certainly agree. We know enough about what is happening to know that this will not stop until it is stopped.

The paladin nodded sadly, "Yes, I...have not been relying on this to blow over. Unfortunately I see no leads to identying my enemy, and so to go about good deeds and a livelihood meanwhile, my friends and I have been planning to look into Nashkel's mining troubles. I know it seems unrelated, but what else is an adventurer to do, I suppose?" He sighed, and looked at Jaheira and Khalid, who looked back with understanding. He had on several occasions now shared his frustration with seeming so powerless to even divine, much less stop, whoever had put the price on his head, or why.

"Though I know nothing more now," Keldath put a fatherly hand on Onyx's shoulder, "Come again, and perhaps I will have gained information or omen. I can offer a noble and profitable diversion in the meantime. Know that there is a madman by the name of Bassilus who roams the wilderness killing any innocents that happen along his path. If you were to stop him and bring back his holy symbol - that of the Mad God..." he and Marianne crossed their hands in warding gestures over themselves at the reference, "...there is a reward of no less than five thousand gold offered. It is a grisly task, but sometimes there is little choice."

"I will seek him out..." Onyx nodded, and Jaheira and Khalid along with him, and then Imoen and Garrick eagerly so. Viconia was unreadable, but internally pleased with the prospect of making money by slaying rival clergies. "...And do what I must."

"I have faith that you will, brother," Keldath smiled.

#2 Guest_Fantysm_*

Posted 25 July 2003 - 03:01 AM

"Equivocate not, 'divine champion'," Viconia snorted in disdain. "You are of the morning, I am the night."

:lol: Actually, that pun was quite clever, Oryx. (Though I must admit, I love puns. I get it from my dad, I guess.)

I liked this chapter as much as the last. More! More!

(. . . and check your email.)

#3 Arcalian

Posted 25 July 2003 - 03:21 AM

Good party interaction here, including puns. :lol:
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#4 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 25 July 2003 - 04:00 AM

:) Actually, that pun was quite clever, Oryx. (Though I must admit, I love puns. I get it from my dad, I guess.)

Oh thank you. I liked them too, not sure why....maybe other lowbrow storytelling (like James Bond, the man with the golden puns....)

I liked this chapter as much as the last. More! More!

:lol: More soon!

(. . . and check your email.)

Reading as we speak! err, type

#5 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 25 July 2003 - 04:01 AM

Good party interaction here, including puns. :lol:

Thanks and thanks! I tried to work in 'Knight Mayor' with Keldath and all, but....titles can get too long...

#6 Guest_Joymandragon_*

Posted 25 July 2003 - 05:31 PM

nice pun and nice fic!!! :)

More :shock:

#7 Laufey

Posted 25 July 2003 - 09:58 PM

19. Mourning and Knight

"Wowwie wow!!" Imoen exclaimed as her party strode towards the Song of the Morning temple just east of Beregost. "It's so...so..."

Jaheira supplied, "Garish? Gaudy? Showy? Overwrought? Compensatory? Extravagant? Ostentatious? Meretric-"

All of the above? :)

The bard sighed dejectedly while Viconia glared at Jaheira and declared, "You know, elg'caress, as much as it pains me to admit something useful escaped those misshapen lips of yours, Lathander's clergy and architects do clearly have the aesthetic sense of simpering rivvel children. These bright primary colors," she gestured forward to the temple's many red stained-glass domes, white marble walls, and golden yellow banners, "And blockish shapes," she gesticulated gracefully as if caressing its flat, rectangular walls and hemispherical domes, "remind you of the playthings of your young, do they not? A temple of Shar, now that is a sight to behold. The elegant twisting forms, the subtle, delectable deep purples and blacks - bah, this temple is a bright, burning abdonimation itself, like your accursed sun!"

I have to say that Vic has a point...not about the building itself so much perhaps, but about the robes of the Lathander clergy. Pink and gold...ick.

Nice exchange there!

Standing at the base of the statue were a human couple, clearly clerics of Lathander from their vestments. That was to be expected, it being a temple of samesaid deity, but around them were three creatures that most of the group had never seen - sirens. Their bodies were esquisitely curved and beautiful, and clad sparingly in silken blue 'robes,' two-piece loincloths really, that revealed nearly all of their soothing green-blueish skin. Their hair too was long and palish silver-white and silken, flowing naturally over their rounded bodies as waterfalls over the rocks they have smoothed, and smooth indeed their maidenly bodies were. Their elegant faces sang what must have been the most beautiful melody that most of the adventurers had ever heard. Onyx, charged by the beauty overloading multiple senses, including that of his patron's divine presence, exhaled like a man reborn.

Oh yes...those sirens... :twisted:

Onyx tossed the ring to Imoen. She hasn't the strength for heavy armor as we do. The girl not only caught it of course, but had it on her finger just as soon, and smiled down at the golden band, then to her friend, who turned again to Keldath. "We merely came to pay our respects. And," he smiled at Imoen, who proudly held up a pouch of coins, "To return some of your fair city's hard-earned gold. A pickpocket's spoils, and as their rightful owners are apparently not among those who write their names upon their coins," he chuckled and winked, "What better place to leave them than here?"

"You..." Viconia snarled at Onyx as Imoen gleefully bounded over to the collection plate, "...fool! Are you mad!? Throwing away your gold to some...vain, extravagant god and his bureaucracy?" She waved her arms around at the vaulted chamber. Keldath and the rest of the party looked on awkwardly, but Viconia certainly did not care, nor did she seem to.

Well...at least it will get you cheaper prices in stores all over the Sword Coast, amazingly unlikely as that might sound. :twisted:

"I will seek him out..." Onyx nodded, and Jaheira and Khalid along with him, and then Imoen and Garrick eagerly so. Viconia was unreadable, but internally pleased with the prospect of making money by slaying rival clergies. "...And do what I must."

Poor Bassilus...totally insane, and in such a miserable way too...
Rogues do it from behind.

#8 Weyoun

Posted 25 July 2003 - 10:30 PM

19. Mourning and Knight

Onyx in turn interrupted, "So, Jaheira, I guess I've just figured out how you knew Gorion..."

*chuckle*

"...You sound like you obviously used to work at the library!" The paladin laughed and the half-elves calmed again. He'd intended the joke for no more than it was, but his companions' overreactions weren't lost on him. Viconia snickered as well.

LOL! Go Vic! :)

Viconia might as well have been a vampiress for her reaction to the token. "You..." she snarled, "Worship that vain, hypocritical god?"

Well, he's nice, but Lathander is even vainer than Johnny Bravo. :twisted:

Let them eat cakes. :twisted:

"Welcome!" thundered Keldath, a trim, early-30s man with light brunette hair, opening his arms in greetings. "The traveling adventurer is never turned away from a house of Lathander, as we strive to aid all who make a difference in the Realms."

Does that include Firkraag and Irenicus? They too are putting their stamp on the Realms and make a difference... a negative difference, but a difference all the same. :)

Good point. If I had that gold, I'd spend it on Sailor Moon DVD's. :)

Great stuff,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#9 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 26 July 2003 - 07:43 AM

19. Mourning and Knight

All of the above? :lol:

'Any many mooooore....'

I have to say that Vic has a point...not about the building itself so much perhaps, but about the robes of the Lathander clergy. Pink and gold...ick.

It's true. Onyx, the Pink Paladin!

Nice exchange there!

:D

Oh yes...those sirens... :lol:

Their sing is actually pretty darn annoying. Must drive Keldath barmy.

Well...at least it will get you cheaper prices in stores all over the Sword Coast, amazingly unlikely as that might sound. :lol:

Heehee. It's amazing how fast word travels.

Actually, the 'recognition' factor (all the inept assassins recongizing you, even though you might have helms, etc; all the discounts or antidiscounts the stores give; reputation gains/losses from helping or killing a random person in the midddle of the forsest....) is one of the serious weak points of the games. Oh well, at least they tried to incorporate a dynamic social aspect.

Poor Bassilus...totally insane, and in such a miserable way too...

Blarg, yeah ;) talk about living in the past

#10 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 26 July 2003 - 07:49 AM

*chuckle*

Seelly Harpers....

LOL! Go Vic! :D

Uh, uh, it's your birthday, it's your birthday, uh yeah...

Well, he's nice, but Lathander is even vainer than Johnny Bravo. :lol:

LOL! True...and thanks for the fond memories of Johnny Bravo. Now how to work that in (Lathander's avatar comes down in the form of Johnny Bravo, and after delivering his omen, flexes his muscles and hits on Immy?)

Let them eat cakes. :lol:

Mmm. Cake.

Does that include Firkraag and Irenicus? They too are putting their stamp on the Realms and make a difference... a negative difference, but a difference all the same. :lol:

I always wondered about that.

Good point. If I had that gold, I'd spend it on Sailor Moon DVD's. ;)

Heehee. I could see Imoen doing that.

"But *yesterday* you had enough for the Shadow Armor!?"

"Yabut check out these!!"

Great stuff,
---Weyoun

Thanks.

#11 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 26 July 2003 - 07:49 AM

nice pun and nice fic!!! :lol:

More :D

Thanks. More soon.

#12 Laufey

Posted 26 July 2003 - 07:57 AM

Actually, the 'recognition' factor (all the inept assassins recongizing you, even though you might have helms, etc; all the discounts or antidiscounts the stores give; reputation gains/losses from helping or killing a random person in the midddle of the forsest....) is one of the serious weak points of the games. Oh well, at least they tried to incorporate a dynamic social aspect.

Oh boy, yes. One of the more amusing examples is this:

We have before us a band of hardened and experienced villains, with the infamous Rep of 1, after killin anybody who opposes them or even annoys them. And how does Mr Shopkeeper react when said band of blooddrenched villains enters his store? Why, by overpricing them of course! :D

BG2 was better when it comes to how you get rep increases, at least. I find it reasonable to get a rep increase for saving Trademeet for example, but not by rescuing a kitty from a waterfall. :lol:
Rogues do it from behind.

#13 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 26 July 2003 - 10:04 AM

19. Mourning and Knight

oh please! that one was just too silly

better than the hole in the ground that some druid grooves literally are.

Relieved but still fuming at her charge's jest, Jaheira snarled, "I stand by my adjectives."

I never doubted.

he couldn't even begin to understand

In short, a temple of shar is dark, gloomy, grey coloured and boring to look at.

Yep!

"You already knew I was a paladin," Onyx smiled, "Would you prefer Tyr? Torm? Helm? 'The righteous path of Helm'?" his voice lifted in pitch and virbrato, in imitation of another knight's.

He has a problem with helmites?

that was crap.

I agree here.

"Thank you," Viconia answered for Onyx, for she had been afraid he might foolishly refuse, snapping up the right from the human woman, "A ring of protection. Why thing you, rivvel," she handed it to Onyx forcefully.

thing you? i guess it should have been "thank you"

"You know, Viconia," Jaheira glared hard at the drow with a smirk, "As much as it pains me to admit something useful escaped those fat lips of yours..." while Viconia scoffed with indignation, Jaheira quickly switched her burning glare to Onyx, "Lathander isn't exactly know for...frugality."

Now she begins as well.

Onyx looked sidelong at Viconia tiresomely. "It is of my share, you know."

"And mine!" Imoen protested.

"Ah, problem solved," the drow cooed.

As long as she gets her share...

You have already written that part

good (and shorter) story

Hunter

#14 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 26 July 2003 - 09:43 PM

better than the hole in the ground that some druid grooves literally are.

Or even worse, hole in the swamp.

In short, a temple of shar is dark, gloomy, grey coloured and boring to look at.

Ah, so much is in coloring and phrasing.

He has a problem with helmites?

No, he's just reminding her of Ajantis, who was willing to let her die. Basically, he's saying 'I could be much worse."

"Thank you," Viconia answered for Onyx, for she had been afraid he might foolishly refuse, snapping up the right from the human woman, "A ring of protection. Why thing you, rivvel," she handed it to Onyx forcefully.

thing you? i guess it should have been "thank you"

thank you. changed.

You have already written that part

That I have. You'll have the option of reading it again.

good (and shorter) story

thank you

Hunter

#15 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 26 July 2003 - 09:46 PM

Oh boy, yes. One of the more amusing examples is this:

We have before us a band of hardened and experienced villains, with the infamous Rep of 1, after killin anybody who opposes them or even annoys them. And how does Mr Shopkeeper react when said band of blooddrenched villains enters his store? Why, by overpricing them of course! :D

The shopkeepers are taking advantage of the fact that you can't get their wares by killing them! It's not fair!

BG2 was better when it comes to how you get rep increases, at least. I find it reasonable to get a rep increase for saving Trademeet for example, but not by rescuing a kitty from a waterfall. ;)

LOL! Good point..I swear in BG1 you coulda gotten Rep 35 if it let you.

#16 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 27 July 2003 - 04:34 AM

Shinies! There are shinies everywhere

Party pooper.

^^; Did the harpers just have dirty thoughts? Naughty!

Absolutely nothing sweetie.

His companions' ten eyes all immediately set themselves on his loud, multicolored, nigh-blinding jester's outfit. "That," Viconia said bluntly, pointing at his garments, "Is what is wrong with showy." Several of the others laughed.

He's in show business, what do they expect?

Methinks she's missing the point.

perhaps "produced" would be a better verb here. Procured sounds more like he went down to the store and bought it right then and there.

As if someone had kicked him in the naughty bits.

"Yes, he is flexible, and optimistic," Onyx looked pointedly at Viconia, and caught her deep, dark eyes with his, "He sees the good that can come of anything...or anyone."

Hear hear!

*groan* Don't make me slay you!

See, even Viconia agrees with me!

"Ooooh," Imoen exclaimed as they went inside the temple. "It's even prettier in here!"

As I said, shinies everywhere.

Onyx, charged by the beauty overloading multiple senses, including that of his patron's divine presence, exhaled like a man reborn.

Nothing like a religious experience to brighten one's day.

Spell out 30's.

Ah... donating to the church. Best way to boost a flagging repuation score.

I think she missed part of the issue here, it's *his* vain, extravagant god, so of course he's going to throw his money to him.

"And a good thing for you, Onyx of Candlekeep," Keldath smiled, for he had not been given this man's name, "For you have much need of hope. As you can see, I am not unaware of the situation regarding your current popularity with mercenaries, I'm afraid."

And there's that reputation score working against him. *sigh*

Great chapter.

-Blue

#17 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 27 July 2003 - 09:41 PM

Shinies! There are shinies everywhere

lol

Party pooper.

That's our Jaheira :roll:

^^; Did the harpers just have dirty thoughts? Naughty!

Just afraid their ward had figured things out. But they will have naughty thoughts from time to time :)

Absolutely nothing sweetie.

:)

He's in show business, what do they expect?

True true.

Methinks she's missing the point.

I suppose. She's less than openminded. 8)

perhaps "produced" would be a better verb here. Procured sounds more like he went down to the store and bought it right then and there.

Ah, thanks. Nah, no trip to Holy-Symbols'R'Us.

As if someone had kicked him in the naughty bits.

Prezicely.

Hear hear!

:lol:

*groan* Don't make me slay you!

:twisted:

See, even Viconia agrees with me!

Uhoh

As I said, shinies everywhere.

Immy loves shiny things. :)

Onyx, charged by the beauty overloading multiple senses, including that of his patron's divine presence, exhaled like a man reborn.

Nothing like a religious experience to brighten one's day.

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Halle...

Spell out 30's.

Thanks.

Ah... donating to the church. Best way to boost a flagging repuation score.

Onyx: Flagging? I'll have you know I started at 12! Hmm, but I did pick up Viconia...d'oh!

I think she missed part of the issue here, it's *his* vain, extravagant god, so of course he's going to throw his money to him.

Yes, good point :mrgreen: And like the evil gods aren't vain!

And there's that reputation score working against him. *sigh*

d'oh!

Great chapter.

Thanks!

-Blue

#18 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:30 PM

Yes, it's about time I reviewed this, as I've been AWOL for too long. I've missed my BG/O!!!

Hmm. Giving Word's Thesaurus a good workout? :(

Ha! Nope, he's not that sharp yet...

*sniggers* I don't quite know why, but I really love that line. Probably more than I should. Oh well. :)

Ahh, sarcastic Vic. Gotta love her.

Not to mention the pools of blood which probably adorn the place for the regular sacrifices... oh, I know, I know, you're having fun with your night and day things with Onyx and Vic, I'll try not to spoil it. :)

Hey! Nothing wrong with Helm. Well, okay, except in the case of the highly annoying Ajantis, but........

Viconia brooded quietly, fuming. "Lathander has proved more...pliable than some of his cronies," she smiled confidently.

Ha! Just like her to focus on that.

Eeek! Large, large, large shadow on the fore! Ahem...

A title I see!

Aww. Innocent Immy... *sniff*

He's so adorably infuriating, isn't he?

"Then," Onyx procured a dirty letter and handed it to her, "This should ease your mind, though pray for the life of the halfling messenger whose body we found it upon just outside the city. He fell victim to bandits, I presume, but the letter bears out your husband's safe arrival in Athkatla."

Oh yeah, the damned letter...

"Thank you," Viconia answered for Onyx, for she had been afraid he might foolishly refuse, snapping up the right from the human woman, "A ring of protection. Why thank you, rivvel," she handed it to Onyx forcefully.

Yes... don't trust paladins to be party leaders when it comes to rewards... *grumbles about paladin leader in IWD2*

Those two are going to have fun snarking at each other, aren't they? Oh well... adds to the madness of it all.

Jaheira grimaced skeptically, muttering something about church and state, and Viconia outright laughed with disdain. "As much a waste!"

And at the same time, they have an odd tendency to agree... :)

:P

Bassilus! Excellent. I remember the little short story you did on that encounter from a while ago...

#19 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 30 July 2003 - 03:35 AM

Yes, it's about time I reviewed this, as I've been AWOL for too long. I've missed my BG/O!!!

Aww thanks. Well, I've been as AWOL myself... :shock:

Hmm. Giving Word's Thesaurus a good workout? :shock:

I thought of those all myself! Though I admit to using dictionary.com's thesaurus now and then.

Ha! Nope, he's not that sharp yet...

Nah, not close. Actually, one thign about Onyx that hasn't been explicitly mentioned, is he's not even terribly curious, because he loved and trusted Gorion so much that he believes he was told whatever he 'needed' to or 'should', and is happy doing exactly what Gorion wanted him to do, which he is. He's not so stupid he hasn't noticed the vagueness of the relationship to J+K, but since he has such a regard for all three, he's happy to leave it at that. For now.

*sniggers* I don't quite know why, but I really love that line. Probably more than I should. Oh well. :P

Oh, I'm glad you did! When I thoguht of it, I thought "That sounds *very* Jaheira, somehow."

Ahh, sarcastic Vic. Gotta love her.

:)

Not to mention the pools of blood which probably adorn the place for the regular sacrifices... oh, I know, I know, you're having fun with your night and day things with Onyx and Vic, I'll try not to spoil it. :D

Spoil it, hardly? I'm getting more ideas.

(after battle...)
Onyx: Ack! I'm all covered in blood!

Viconia: Mmm, I think it's rather an improvement.

Hey! Nothing wrong with Helm. Well, okay, except in the case of the highly annoying Ajantis, but........

:shock: yep.

Ha! Just like her to focus on that.

Oh yes. One aspect of the Good/Evil struggle that is oft overlooked, is how happy it makes Evil whenever Good 'handicaps' itself with self-policing measures like mercy, etc. (Which doesn't mean mercy, etc. are bad, but Evil sees them as useful weaknesses, which they are).

Eeek! Large, large, large shadow on the fore! Ahem...

Yes and no. Yes because this is not even remotely sublte, no because I don't even know that's the direction things will go in. So it's either obvious foreshadowing, or a red herring. :shock:

A title I see!

Mmmhmm. Original title was an Onyx/Keldath pun: KnightMayor.

Aww. Innocent Immy... *sniff*

She doth tug the heartstrings.

He's so adorably infuriating, isn't he?

:) Yep! It's cuz he doesn't play the more-cynical-than-thou game. 'Disarmingly nice' is something I believe in and have found useful. It's a combination of turning the other cheek, but not taking sh!t; and I chose Lathander as Onyx's faith because the tradeoff of compassion and optimism/steadfastness seemed right (Ilmater is too weak, the others too harsh - though still not nearly as harsh as the paladin-bashers would make out).

Oh yeah, the damned letter...

One of the mini-mini-quests of BG1...'Go Fetch!'

Yes... don't trust paladins to be party leaders when it comes to rewards... *grumbles about paladin leader in IWD2*

Seriously! And, like here, my high-CHA drow femme did all the talking. (Though, case in point, I won't have Onyx refusing rewards that much, as Lathander seems to have a wealth-friendly philosophy. I'm not suere where the Paly Handbook stands, but it's not like I'm going by it anyway).

Those two are going to have fun snarking at each other, aren't they? Oh well... adds to the madness of it all.

Oh yes!

And at the same time, they have an odd tendency to agree... :wink:

Yep! You nailed it. It's funny how they oppose each other, but oft act like.

:shock:

Bassilus! Excellent. I remember the little short story you did on that encounter from a while ago...

Yep, I'll be 'recycling' that as a chapter soon. (Or rather, the other post was 'precycling', as it was of course always intended as a chapter in this story).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com