All That Glitters...32

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 20 July 2003 - 07:58 PM

Chapter Thirty-Two

Yoshimo had returned bearing a polite reminder from Chief Inspector Brega about the problems he had been having in the Bridge district; they hadn't yet been solved and had actually worsened since the time he had first mentioned them to Kal. As they happened to be more or less just outside the front door of the inn, and in the same area as Jerlia's illithium supplier, Kal figured an investigation of the two would be a relatively safe day - at least, lacking unpleasant surprises like Galvarey. They set out late the next morning for the office of the district inspector, one Lieutenant Aegisfield.

After a series of perfunctory greetings, Aegisfield led them into the back of the building where his office was located. Piled high in the yard were a series of corpses. "They've been piling up for the better part of a month now," Aegisfield explained. "We get ‘em off the streets as fast as we can, and try to get them in here for identification. But as you can see, it's not that easy."

Each corpse's skin had been completely removed, but that wasn't the difficult part. Burn marks, from either fire or caustic liquid, marred what remained of the features of many of the corpses. Deep cuts zigzagged randomly across the faces and upper bodies. Each of them also showed some degree of rot - they had been kept dead for some time, probably to defuse spells for speaking with the dead. With all means - practical and magical - defeated, it made for a nearly impossible task.

"Anyone," continued Aegisfield, "who's had even a hint of a clue has ended up dead. I'm fairly sure a couple of the poor stiffs in there are my deputies, but I can't say for sure. One of the beggars - old Rampah, I think, claimed he'd found something special and secret. We found him a week later, one of the few we could identify because he's been the only old person to disappear yet. Aside from that, and a few crazy reports of a monstrous gray ghost, this is it."

"So...so where does that leave us?" Aerie wanted to know.

"If I may hazard a guess, it seems as if this lack of evidence would lead us...nowhere," Yoshimo said.

Jaheira nodded. "Nowhere. Or at least no better than before we saw all these bodies."

"Not quite," Viconia and Kal said at the same time. They both blinked.

"Do go ahead," Kal told her.

"It seems to me," Viconia began, "that this clue involving the aged beggar is enough to, at least, base an investigation."

"This is very little information, Viconia," Jaheira objected.

"Yes, all we know is that he's dead," Aerie chimed in.

"That is not all. We have as a fact that Rampah was killed. From that, we can safely assume that his claims of finding something ‘special and secret' were true, else the murderer would not go out of his way to kill him. It is equally evident that Rampah did not carry this special and secret item with him, for beggars wear loose rags, not enough to conceal a ‘secret' - and especially since the rumours were of Rampah bragging about and not showing this ‘secret'. Therefore, there must be some location where it was kept. Now, we also know that Rampah is reasonably well-known among the denizens of the Bridge - the inspector was able to recall his name after only a few seconds of thought. Among all of the people on the Bridge, I think it is a reasonable assumption to make that at least one of them knows where Rampah might have kept such a thing. All we need to do is find that person, discover the location, and find the item."

Yoshimo was slowly nodding. "Indeed. My guess, it seems, was over-quick. My apologies."

Haer'Dalis smiled. "A strong chain of logic, my blackbird. Though the course of action - go forth and gather information - was what we would have done in any eventuality."

"But now we know where to focus our questions," Kal pointed out. "All right, the Bridge isn't a big district. We'll split up, meet back here in four or so hours."

"I can handle myself," Jaheira said, and without waiting, walked out the door.

"As can I," Viconia said, turning to follow Jaheira.

Kal caught her by the arm to stop her. "Oh, no, you can't. People don't respond well to hooded figures asking questions."

"Very...very well," Viconia responded uneasily.

"I'll go with Minsc," Aerie said brightly. "I can do it!"

Kal smiled at her and nodded. "I'm sure you can."

Yoshimo sketched a bow and grinned. "Information gathering is my specialty."

"Secrets spill from citizens to bards in cities and planes the multiverse entire," Haer'Dalis said. "A skill I am versed in, to be sure. I shall return to the Flagons and question the clientele - my reputation there will likely be of use."

"And I shall go to Delosar's," Yoshimo added. "Inns, especially from the seedier end of the spectrum, are far more comfortable an environment for me."

The rest of the party filtered out the door. "And what of me?" Viconia asked. "I shall return to the Flagons and hide upstairs, perhaps?"

"If you want. Or you could come with me." Kal held his hand up. "It's an offer, not an order. Just because you can't ask questions doesn't mean you aren't brilliant enough to know what to do with the answers."

"You would still wish me by your side after...?" Viconia made a small scratching motion with her hand.

"It was nothing." Kal moved toward the door, and Viconia pulled her hood over her head and followed. "So, are you feeling better now?" he asked her conversationally.

"No," she replied. "But that is hardly the focus at this moment. For now...we have someone to track down, yes?"

Four hours later, they gathered again. Kal and Viconia had had no success, nor had Aerie or Jaheira. Haer'Dalis, however, had something.

"A lovely lady by the name of Rose Bouquet - assumed, I can be sure - informs me that she knew of only one place Rampah tended to visit regularly - a small alley behind the large estate in the centre of the district. The Farrahds', if I recall correctly. I would suggest that, given that information, that we check there."

Yoshimo nodded. "I have a general conception of the item we seek. One of the patrons at Delosar's caught sight of the item as Rampah was transporting it - a large, gray item."

"A large...gray item," Kal said thoughtfully.

"A costume of some sort, perhaps? Intended to convince people that a monster is at work?" Viconia mused.

"A monster is at work," Kal said. "But many humans have been monsters in the past, no matter what they actually are. People - all people - are capable of monstrous things."

"If it is a citizen, then," Viconia said, "I believe he or she lives in this district or works in this district. I do not believe the city guard would miss anyone repeatedly entering the district with a sack which could hold a costume or disguise, who would not have any other reason to do so."

"Hmm...a good point," Jaheira said. "I happen to know that the Guard maintains some lists of who works in what district, for licensing reasons. One of those may help us narrow down our search."

Kal nodded. "Sounds good. Jaheira, could you get this district's list from the Lieutenant?"

"Certainly." She turned and walked back toward Aegisfield's office.

"All right. Haer'Dalis, lead on," Kal said.

Rampah's ‘special and secret' item turned out to be a gray slab of hide, pierced at the corners by what appeared to have been holes - each had torn through to the nearest edge, however, and so whatever it should have been mounted on obviously no longer had it.

"What...what is it?" Aerie asked.

"Hide! Like from monsters that MINSC kicks!" Minsc said.

"That much is obvious, but just having this clue is of no use if we cannot figure out what it is," Viconia told him.

Haer'Dalis scratched his head. "I must admit mystification. It is like nothing I have ever seen before on the Planes, and that is rare indeed."

"Let's take it to Cromwell," Cel suggested. "He knows a lot."

As it turned out, Cromwell did know what it was. "Elephant hide," he told them. "This, here and here," he said, pointing to the holes, "are a common jointing for hide armor. Seems like this one came loose. Isnae common material - but it nae be really that hard ta find, neither."

"Truthfully? It is the first time I have ever seen such a thing," Haer'Dalis said.

"It's a Prime creature. Either the basis for the hollyphant or maelephant, or their derivative - take your pick. Anyway, I dinnae recall any specific reason for this ta be in the city. Ye might want to ask the tanners in the city - they'd deal with this kind of specialty merchandise."

"There is a tanner in the Bridge," Jaheira spoke up, paging through a fair-sized ledger stamped with the sigil of the City Guard. "One Rejiek Hidesman by name."

"I know the name and reputation," Yoshimo said. "He has been a tanner for nearly thirty years now. Perhaps he would be the proper authority to consult on such a matter."

Cromwell grunted. "If anyone in the Bridge wanted ta get some elephant hide, Rejiek's the one they'd go to, sure as sure."

"Could it possibly be the tanner himself?" Viconia asked.

Cromwell thought about it for a few minutes, then slowly shook his head. "Not...not likely. Rejiek...'e's a quiet man, peaceful, very pleasant and an upstandin' member of the community. Probably not, but...who knows, aye?"

"We'll keep an eye open anyway, but thanks for the heads-up, Cromwell. We owe you again, it seems," Kal said.

Cromwell shrugged. "I'm not one fer owin' an' debts and such. Just find whoever's doin' whatever it is in the Bridge. That'll be enough for me."

"We'll do that, Cromwell. You can count on it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com