All That Glitters...30

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 20 July 2003 - 07:41 PM

All That Glitters...30

The first thing Kal noticed upon returning to the Harper Hold was that Rylock, the guard, was not present. He was going to comment, but Jaheira seemed anxious to get inside, and a little nervous as well - a comment probably wasn't the best thing to do at that time. She pushed the door open and motioned for the party to enter.

A man dressed in ornate, but not overly heavy, armor, walked forward to greet them as they entered. "Jaheira, my dear, it is good to see you!"

"Spare me the forced welcomes, Galvarey. I was summoned here by the Master Harper; I do not need to talk to you nor do I truly wish to. This is more important than you in any case."

"I know how important this is, Jaheira, it was I who summoned you."

Jaheira's eyes narrowed. "You are no Master Harper. And you do not have the authority to issue a summons." Her eyes fixed on a woman, wearing a dark robe, hood pulled back. "Why did you communicate this fool's orders as if he had?"

Galvarey put his hand on Jaheira's shoulder, turning her to face him again. "This area lacks a Master Harper, and I seek to establish one."

Jaheira's eyes narrowed. "There is a Master Harper in this area."

Galvarey smiled broadly. "There was an...accident. Now, you will help me, because you know it is the right thing to do."

"I know that you are an ambitious fool. You are fortunate so far that you have even been allowed to maintain this gaudy base, against our usual restraint. And its identity does not appear to be secret, either, as certain recent events reflect. I would hardly say you are suitable to become the Master Harper."

"The High Heralds and other Master Harpers will decide if I am suitable to be a Master Harper or not; that is a matter aside. Regardless, I am the leader of our operations in Athkatla, and I can issue a summons. I outrank you."

"What is rank to a Harper? I reject your claim of rank, but as we are already here, get on with your questions so that we can all get on with our lives."

"Very good. You serve the greater cause that we all do. Now, Kalvorin...do you know why you are here?"

"Because Jaheira asked me to come," Kal replied shortly.

"Indeed. But I ask on a greater scale. As in, why I called you here."

"I'd imagine you're interested in what most people are, that being my ancestry. Specifically the Bhaal part."

"Quite! Your heritage is obviously the most important issue of concern to all of us. I have a few simple questions for you, before we move on. What are your earliest memories? Are they happy ones?"

There was a long pause. "If you must know, they are - I remember playing in the gardens at the foot of Candlekeep's spires. That's all children do at that age."

"No, I was referring to even earlier," Galvarey said, smile beginning to fray at the edges.

"That's it for my earliest memory, and if I recall correctly that was at a little under a year of age. Most people don't even remember back that far."

"Are you always this uncooperative? Yes, I suppose you would be. Basic nature to be objectionable. Not good. Next question," Galvarey said, mostly talking to himself.

"Uncooperative?" Jaheira asked incredulously. "He gave you the answer to your question - what more do you want, Galvarey?"

Galvarey flashed an unfriendly, toothy grin at Jaheira. "But he was lying. That wasn't cooperative at all."

"And just how do you know he was lying?" Jaheira demanded.

"Because I know what the answer should have been. Patience, I will explain in time. My next question: as a child of Bhaal, do you have violent thoughts?"

"That's a fallacious question, Galvarey. By asking that question you illicitly import the assumption that either violent thoughts come from being a child of Bhaal or that non-children of Bhaal do not have violent thoughts. Either assumption leads to an improperly slanted conclusion, especially considering that your question is phrased in a yes-or-no fashion. It's similar to asking, ‘Have you stopped cheating at dice yet?' - both the yes or no answers imply that one has already cheated at dice. It's an unanswerable question the way you propose it," Kal told him.

"Why aren't you answering my question?" Galvarey demanded, a little fury leaking into his expression.

"Because your question cannot be answered, Galvarey - or did you not listen to what he just said? Are you deaf as well as ambitious and foolish?" Jaheira sneered.

"It is a simple question! Do you have violent thoughts or not?"

"Well," Kal said. "If you put it that way, it is an answerable question, but you'd need to clarify your definition of violent thoughts, given that it's actually quite a vague term. Do you mean thoughts depicting violence? Thoughts which occur during acts of violence? Assuming by violent thoughts you mean thoughts which are necessary to impel the body to acts of violence, such as the signal within the mind that tells the arm to move such that it strikes, by necessity any warrior has violent thoughts, even if directed at a training dummy in a courtyard."

"Hmm...violence is necessary, you say. To be expected from one with such a despicable heritage," Galvarey said self-righteously.

Jaheira half-gaped in stunned surprise. "Galvarey, what madness is this? Why ask the question if you are only going to warp the answer into whatever suits you? Your conclusion has nothing to do with the answer he gave! Kal regrets every use of violence, and always strives for non-violent resolution! You make him out to be a bloodthirsty maniac, and he would never-"

"Never what? You are clouded by personal feelings. He may not think like us at all. Can you understand an illithid? Or a beholder? He is akin to these," Galvarey told Jaheira, delivering an obviously prepared line.

"Only in your mind, Galvarey."

"Truly, how can you make such a judgement?" Yoshimo asked. "You have met him but a few minutes and yet you presume to make an assumption as to how he thinks, whereas no one but yourself has ever seen him act in any way that a noble paladin does not - including people who know him best."

"Indeed, I wonder myself how you have the temerity to claim such omniscience," Viconia added.

"Be silent, outsiders," Galvarey snapped. "Jaheira, you will see I am right. Next question - Kalvorin, what is your favourite colour?"

"What...what does that have to...to do with anything?" Aerie wondered.

"Yes, I would like to see you explain this one, Galvarey," Jaheira put in.

"Let the question be answered!" Galvarey said, real anger showing on his face.

"I see no harm in it," Kal shrugged. "I like blue, actually."

"Blue you say! The colour of sadness and despair! It should have been obvious!" Galvarey said, nodding as if he had just made a major point.

"It should have been obvious, but not for that reason, idiot. I burn blue," Cel said, lighting up the area with a soft blue glow. "And one of Tyr's colours is blue, too."

"It is also the colour of the sky, or the ocean! How can you claim that your interpretation is the correct one?" Jaheira asked scornfully.

"Don't you see, Jaheira? I'm right because this Bhaalspawn is a killer, a creature of chaos, and that is doubtless the way he sees things, is it not?" Galvarey's Harper allies in the room nodded in response. "And it is evident from these responses that my suspicions are confirmed."

"Actually, Galvarey," Kal said calmly, "that's a circular argument." In response to Galvarey's utterly fanatical, yet dumbfounded stare, he moved his hands in a circular motion while explaining. "You see, your argument is, essentially, that I am evil and therefore your interpretations are correct and therefore I am evil. You assert the very thing as your first premise that you try to prove; it's a logical fallacy and is, in most scholarly texts, referred to as a circular argument because you don't prove anything."

"In your logic, it might be, but it is all the proof I need," Galvarey said emphatically.

Kal stared at him. "My logic? What in the Nine Hells are you talking about? We live in the same reality, Galvarey, and there's only one logic. One plus one equals two, not five in your mind and three in mine. Either you just proved something or you didn't, and by any intelligent standard of dissertation you didn't. Although I'm beginning to believe that you aren't interested in logic, argument validity, or thinking, for that matter. Benefit of the doubt only goes so far."

"Have you taken leave of your senses, Galvarey?" Jaheira added a moment later. "I was to bring him here so you could see him as he is, not so you could pass summary judgement!"

"You were to bring him here so we could act - the course of action was always clear."

"Ahh, the typical reaction of someone who simply refuses to exercise his mental faculties in any perceptible sense," Haer'Dalis said. "Sir, you would have made an excellent member in good standing of the Transcendent Order. In Sigil, your refusal to think might even have been considered a positive quality." He smiled at Galvarey. "In this case, however," he said, continuing in a pleasant tone, "I have no trouble calling you one of the most clueless Clueless I have ever had the distinct displeasure of meeting."

"I am sorry, Kal...this was not my intent at all. I thought that..." Jaheira began.

Pointedly ignoring everyone but Jaheira, Galvarey forged on. "You thought that we would determine him to be of no threat? Your emotions have clouded your duty, Jaheira!"

"I don't think you're the right person to be making that accusation, buddy," Cel snapped.

"You question my loyalty?" Jaheira exclaimed, astounded. "You subject him to this...this witch hunt...openly proclaim yourself in this most devious of cities...and you claim it is me who deserts my duty?"

"Think of the effects on the Balance, Jaheira. Whatever he is, he certainly will have disastrous effects on the Balance!"

"That is twisted thinking, Galvarey. Hear the Code - ‘The rule of law aids peace and fosters freedom, so long as the laws are just and those who enforce them lenient and understanding'. Where does a paladin conflict with that? More often than not, Galvarey, Balance maintains itself...nature needs no help from meddling incompetents such as you!"

"No, there cannot be any choice. Kalvorin is to be imprisoned, sealed in a small container several leagues under the earth. It is the only way."

"It is as good as death and you know it!"

"You have no right to sentence me to confinement, Galvarey. I reject your spurious and unfounded judgement," Kal told him.

"You have no voice here and little choice in the matter. Certainly you can fight, but there are six Harpers to contend with. The odds are quite clearly..."

"Harpers?" Jaheira broke in with an acid laugh. "I count only one Harper here - myself! You are no Harper, Galvarey, and neither are your four lackeys. And I will be damned to an eternity in the Abyss before I join you in this mockery of all that is right about our organization!"

Galvarey's four allies drew weapons, and the atmosphere suddenly grew colder. Face set, Jaheira turned towards Kal. "Kal...I...I will stand by your side if you will have me. You...you do not deserve this...I know."

"I...had hoped you would, Jaheira," Kal said warmly. "But if you do not wish to get involved, I will understand."

"There is every reason to ‘get involved'...and no reason not to. We will stand against this injustice...together."

"You have betrayed us, Jaheira," Galvarey thundered. "With Kalvorin's imprisonment I would have been assured a position as Master Harper for certain!"

Jaheira's face showed total astonishment. "Personal power? Was that the purpose of this farce?"

"For the Greater Balance, Jaheira. Once I become a Master Harper, I can take over...organize a grand Harper Empire that shall maintain peace and Balance throughout Faerun! For the greater good!"

"What tales have you conjured up in your diseased mind? Harper Empire?" Then she paused. "I see. You wish to repeat Moonsklan's error. You are mad, Galvarey, and your greater good is like nothing anyone else knows."

"Moonsklan was a fool. He was weak. I shall succeed where he failed. And if you do not see it, then you shall die as well! The Bhaal-child's death will serve just as well as his imprisonment, and my Empire shall live, even if you dare to get in the way! ATTACK!"

That last comment was addressed to his underlings, signalling the start of a battle, but it was Cel who moved first. A column of roaring blue lightning suddenly materialized around Galvarey, coursing over his armour and weapons. Two daggers on his waist melted to lumps and Galvarey himself was thrown backwards ten feet. Viconia and Aerie started chanting, and blades came free from scabbards.

Kal took in the opposition: two wizards, both chanting furiously, a fighter and thief. And Galvarey, getting to his feet in the back. Kal's hands flickered in fast but unmistakable signals, and the party spread out. Minsc took on the fighter, who wielded a katana like Yoshimo's. Yoshimo and Haer'Dalis worked together cornering a halfling rogue. Jaheira picked the wizard on her side of the room, and Kal charged for the other one.

The halfling backed up slowly, conscious of being cornered but not being able to do anything about it. Finally, before he was completely stuck, he feinted toward Yoshimo and then dove directly at Haer'Dalis.

Haer'Dalis raised his blades and began spinning rapidly in a defensive pattern, deflecting the halfling's short sword with a series of sparking clashes of metal. Yoshimo then lunged forward, katana flashing, and opened up a slash on the halfling's right side. The halfling retreated into the corner, dripping blood, and Haer'Dalis followed mercilessly.

On the other side of the room, all the spells were building to their final syllables. Aerie finished her spell first, flinging forth an outstretched hand. Four darts of light leapt from her fingertips and pummelled the wizard in front of Jaheira, disrupting his concentration. Jaheira's club made sure his concentration did not return.

Viconia's spell went off a second later, paralyzing the fighter into immobility. Minsc had been trading low sword swings with her, but at that moment Minsc aimed a blow high - and there was nothing to stop it.

The halfling expired with a wheezing gasp as Haer'Dalis' green and red blades drained him of life and agility. It turned into a sudden croak and silence as both of those blades and Yoshimo's plunged deeply into his body.

The last wizard panicked, broke off his spell and drew a wand, that Kal now recognized as lightning. Six tightly-grouped bolts shot toward him. Cel's shield flared into pearly radiance, blocking all but one, which blazed through him in a jolt of pain but caused no major injury. The wizard died with the glow of sunlight in his throat.

Galvarey, driven half-insane (or more accurately, the other half insane) from seeing his loyal followers pulped before his eyes, raised a glittering golden chain decorated with gold spheres of various sizes in his hand. With a mad gleam in his eye he raised it, ready to dash it on the floor.

"A necklace of fireballs!" Haer'Dalis warned, though there was no time to get out of the blast radius. That many fireballs - Kal counted at least ten - would collapse the supports of the house and set fire to the entire District.

Suddenly, Galvarey, the Harpers, the party, and the Hold drained away out of his vision. No! Not now! Kal thought, before Bhaal's memory overtook him once more.

All three of the assassins lay prostrate on the floor, bowing down beneath him.

"What is your command, oh lord?" one asked subserviently.

"Who is in charge of archery training?" Bhaal demanded.

"I...I am, Lord," another said hesitantly.

Bhaal's lip curled. "Very well."

In a flash of light, a bow dropped out of the air and into Bhaal's hands. Drawing arrows from nothingness, he fired five times, pinning each of the man's fingers to the floor. When the man threw back his head and screamed in pain, Bhaal added two more arrows, through the eyes.

The other two assassins quaked in fear.

"You summoned me for my advice. It has been given. Archery training in this guild is insufficient. Should this continue, the next instructor will suffer the same fate."

The mists of memory cleared and Kal realized that barely a second had passed. He also realized, however, that Bhaal had given him another ‘gift' - and that he had no choice but to use it. He released Daystar in the wizard's throat, dropped Cel, and whirled, bow coming off his back, nocking an arrow in the same motion.

Galvarey hurled the necklace - and Kal loosed his arrow. For a second, everyone held their breath.

Then there was a solid sounding thunk, and Kal's arrow quivered in the back wall, the necklace looped around the shaft, caught in the fletching. The arrow's course had sharply angled upward because of the damaged fletching, but Kal didn't much care.

Galvarey charged, frothing at the mouth, swinging his two-handed sword with abandon. Kal coldly put the bow down as Galvarey closed the distance. He yanked Daystar out of the dead wizard, and picked up Cel again. He eyed the distance carefully as Galvarey drew closer. Then, in a single motion, Kal took a step forward and swung Cel in an overhand arc with all of his force behind her. Galvarey raised his sword - and Cel's blue-glowing, blue-flaming blade shattered it, and continued on past the blade into Galvarey. And out again.

Galvarey's two highly unequal halves fell to the floor amidst the remnants of his sword.

Jaheira walked up beside Kal, blood still dripping from her club. She took on a curiously detached expression, and leaned over the pieces of the man that had been Galvarey.

"Hear the Code, Galvarey. ‘A Harper who seizes power, and holds it above all else, is a traitor to the harp. Traitors must die, for freedom to live.' So was it said. So shall it be."

Realms historical note. Rundorl Moonsklan was a bard back around 1020 DR who tried to form the Harpers into a kingdom under his own rule. He named himself the Harper King. Allying himself with Szass Tam of Thay, and then later with another lich, he eventually brought the Harpers to utter ruin. "Moonsklan's error" refers to this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com