Chapter 14

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jover_*

Posted 17 December 2002 - 03:11 AM

Chapter 14

After returning to the Seven Vales Inn, Jover went to the bathing room to clean up and change clothes before finding his way to the room he was to share with Jaheira. Once there, Jover told her of the offer he had received from Valen, carefully avoiding any mention of his talk with the architect and the arrangement he made with Yoshimo.

"And what did this Valen person say when you turned down her offer?" Jaheira asked, from her bed where she sat braiding her hair.

"Who says I turned it down?" Jover asked.

"You cannot seriously be thinking of doing as she instructed." Jaheira said

"Why not? We're dealing with Galen Bayle and we know nothing about him." Jover said, "Who's to say Valen's mistress won't offer a better a chance to find Imoen."

"The meeting place should be warning enough." Jaheira said, shaking her head. "To venture into the graveyard district at night, I thought you had developed better judgment than that."

"I didn't say that I was going to do it." Jover said, as he stretched out across his own bed. "Only that I'm considering it, if we go there we'll go prepared."

"Perhaps that will not be necessary at all." Jaheira said, "Bernard has told me where to meet with the local Harpers, it seems they have a base here in Athkatla."

"A base." Jover repeated, "I didn't think the Harpers kept permanent residence anywhere."

"Base was the word Bernard used, but it is most likely just someone's home used as a meeting place." Jaheira said. "Regardless, it shall allow me to seek their aid in our quest."

"We'll go there first thing in the morning. Where is their base located?" Jover asked, then turned to look at Jaheira when his question was answered with silence. "Jaheira?"

"Jover.. you remember what I said before, about how some of the Harpers might not accept you because of your heritage." Jaheira said, "That still holds true, it would be best if I go there alone."

"I don't like the idea of you traveling through this city by yourself." Jover said.

"Hmph! I was traveling dangerous roads with Gorion, before you were born." Jaheira said, offended.

"Our age difference doesn't impress me." Jover said, "So you're a half-elf and I'm human.. well mostly human, so what? Any of our group going off completely alone is still a bad idea. Just like you told Aerie, those slavers are likely to have friends that will be hunting for us, or are you too good to follow your own advice?"

"One of the few times you actually listen to what I say, and you turn my words against me." Jaheira said, with an irritated sigh. "Very well we shall go there together, but only I will go in you and the others shall remain outside."

"Agreed." Jover said, pleased at having won this argument. "And for the record Jaheira, I always listen to what you say.. doing what you say, now that's a different story."

"Oh, be quiet and put out the candles." Jaheira said, laying back on her bed. "We have much to do come tomorrow."

Later that night, Jover was awakened by the sound of Jaheira's voice.

"Mmmph...nnno... nnno.. no…"

Getting up, Jover quickly lit the bedside candle and then moved to sit on the edge of Jaheira's bed. The druid was restlessly turning back and forth, her hands twisting the blankets.

"Jaheira.. wake up." Jover said, gently taking hold of her shoulders. "Jaheira.. "

"Nnn...no...NO!!" Jaheira woke with a start, sitting up and shoving Jover to the floor. "Wh..wh...what?"

"You were having a bad dream." Jover said, getting back up. "I heard you."

"Yes.. I was.. I have.. been having nightmares, and when I wake it is still there." Jaheira said, pulling her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms around them. "I.. thought I was stronger than this."

"You can't chase away nightmares by being strong." Jover said as he again sat down beside Jaheira. "You have to share them.. talk about them, or they'll tear you apart. Trust me Jaheira, I know this better than anyone."

"Yes, I suppose you would, you have lost.. people you care for as well." Jaheira said "How do you deal with it? Watching them in your mind.. over and over? I did not witness Khalid's.. death, but every time I try to sleep.. that is all I see.. my husband.. being tortured.. by that.."

"Shhh.. Jaheira." Jover said, reaching out to put one arm around Jaheira's shoulders, the druid stiffened momentarily at the contact, but then relaxed allowing herself to be comforted. "It's only natural to have these thoughts and dreams. It's barely been a ten-day since our escape and we've been so blasted busy you haven't had the time to grieve properly."

"Yes, and I am glad for that." Jaheira said, "When we are busy.. I do not have to feel.. this way."

"I know this isn't much help right now, but to quote a famous prophet. ‘You feel terrible, but you still feel. It should not consume you.’" Jover began

"‘Lest it consume your memories and you are left with just the sadness.’" Jaheira finished, "From Alaundo, it seems Gorion taught you from the same book that I learned from. He was wise to do so, but still, you are correct those words are small comfort tonight."

"I've been lucky to have many wise people in my life." Jover said, taking his arm from around Jaheira's shoulders and turning to stare into her green eyes, now wet with tears. "After Gorion's death another wise friend helped me to deal with my feelings, and showed me a way to try and move past the bad memories."

"What is that?" Jaheira asked uncertainly.

"I want you to lie back and close your eyes." Jover said gently pushing Jaheira down, then smoothing the blankets around her. "Now tell me a good memory of Khalid."

"I.. cannot, all I see is.. his…" Jaheira began, tears slipping down her cheeks.

"No Jaheira." Jover said forcefully. "A good memory.. you had many years together.. full of great times.. think back before our capture.. a happy time with Khalid."

Jaheira was silent for several moments as her mind struggled to move past the image of her fallen husband.
Then, hesitantly, she began to speak. "I.. It was a few days before our.. we had made camp by that lake and.. Khalid and I went swimming.. just the two of us.. and later.. he and I.. we.." Jaheira's voice trailed off and a small smile appeared chasing most of the anguish from her face.

"I understand." Jover said, "Hold on to THAT memory Jaheira, take everything about it, the sights, the smells, the sounds and from now on when you go to sleep, make that memory the one you see."

Jaheira nodded, with a peaceful smile as she settled more comfortably into her pillow.

"Now be a good little druid and go back to sleep." Jover whispered, as he wiped one last tear from Jaheira's cheek.

"Stop that.." Jaheira whispered, her smile widening as she reached to brush Jover's hand away only to take hold of it instead, squeezing it tightly just once before letting go.

Jover blew out the candle and returned to his bed, where he listened carefully to the soft sound of Jaheira’s breathing, until he was certain she was sleeping peacefully. Only then did he allow the feelings grief and guilt he had been holding back, to come out in his thoughts as he drifted into a restless sleep. 'So many people, Gorion, my friends at Candlekeep, Dynaheir, Khalid all of them died simply because of what I am. But maybe.. just maybe I can make things right again for you Jaheira.. in ten days.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com