The Bhaalspawn Union 1

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 02:49 AM

The Bhaalspawn Union 1

This is an after-the-end of Throne of Bhaal story involving a gold elven mage/thief Inglor and several of his companions. The story begins with the last challenge in the Pocket Plane; that is, the battle with the Ravager.

The prelude to a bargain

The air reeked from an unholy compound of the sickly sweet and sulphurous stench of the burnt and damaged flesh of the Ravager, the desiccating fumes of the wilting spells cast by the mages and the ubiqituous abyssal vapours in the background. The confined space in the Pocket Plane reverberated with the inarticulate roars of demonic fury, the groans and battle cries of the fighters, the gentle and quiet yet eerie chanting of the spellcasters and the hiss of the razor sharp blades and shafts. Even above all this din and tumult came the crisp commands of the leader of the group, Inglor. His speech was sharp and clear, but surprisingly quiet.

'Put up protection from magical weapons and globes of invulnerability. Skull traps to follow them up. Aerie, help me in providing cover for the fighters. Sarevok, Jaheira - fall back behind the mages.' The words were followed by more arcane chanting, and the soft hiss of the defensive spells of the mages taking effect. There was yet more chanting and this time the effect was the deafening explosions of the skull traps going off. The already weakened demon took the full impact of the skull traps and giving one final howl of agony, collapsed sideways, yielding up its ghost. The last obstacle had fallen.

A ghostly voice echoed distantly 'The final challenge has been completed successfully, Child of Bhaal. You may now make your claim for the Throne of your father whenever you desire. Be warned that the choice you make is irrevocable.'

As the final barrier between him and the Throne of Bhaal fell, Inglor felt something inside him unlocked. He knew that he had obtained yet more powers from his 'father's' essence. He turned around to speak about this latest development to his companions, but Jaheira cut him off. Her face was creased with worry, and her words were fearful, though they were spoken with a sort of forced calm. Once more, his destiny was the barrier between them, and although neither referred to this directly these days, it was never out of their minds.

'So, we are close to the end of your quest, it seems. Inglor, if I knew what to counsel you on this matter, I would. But I know not what the Gods have in store for us; more correctly, for you. I trust you; remember that.'

Jaheira, it seemed, had voiced his own concerns. Inglor had come a long way since the frightened elf had fled to her in the Friendly Arm Inn. She was his teacher, his friend and lately, his lover. He had come to depend on her help greatly, he valued her counsel immeasurably. She was one of the few that really cared for him and he genuinely cared for. The thought of having to go on without her grieved and saddened him; the thought of holding the essence of pure evil eternally terrified him. He knew better than anyone what it meant to keep the essence. With just a fraction of the full amount, the essence was hard enough to fight. The entire bulk of the essence, he feared, would be more than he, or anyone else, could handle. All these days, he had feared failure. He had feared that he would fall at the hand of one of his 'family', would be a stepping stone in the ascent of one of his siblings. But now he feared success. He had plotted and schemed to ensure that he would not fall. He had strengthened himself against enemies of all kinds. He was farsighted and little of importance occurred that was now hidden from him. He had built up a network that would keep him informed of the latest developments on all fronts. He knew without conceit that he was one of the most powerful mortals in the world. That he had succeeded and his siblings had failed was testimony to his preparations and precautions, as to the prowess of his group. Most of those who had opposed him were now dead. Many others, who were once formidable, were now commonplace foes. His achievements were there for everyone to see. But was it success? He knew not the answer to that. Was it to become an evil deity that he had fought all these days? Was it his destiny to be corrupted by the essence that would be forced on him by the Gods? Melissan awaited him in the Throne of Bhaal. He would probably prevail against her as well. If he did, something would have to be done about the power of Bhaal and he hoped that he would have to make that decision. He knew one thing though; he would not accept the essence if he could help it. If there was a way out of this mess, he would find it.

None of this showed in his face however. He smiled impishly 'There will be a special place at the foot of my throne for you.'

'What?!'

He smiled again, this time genuinely and warmly, 'Jaheira, if there is a means to give up this burden of my essence, I will.' Jaheira looked relieved for a moment, but her face clouded again 'Is it in your hands to give up that essence? Evil powers are not easily defeated. Is there a way for us to remain together?'

Inglor was conscious of the stares of everyone in the party on him now. Jaheira looked hopeful, yet fearful. Imoen and Aerie were looking at him with a mixture of curiosity and obfuscation. Sarevok was considering him with ambition and expectation. He was pondering her question when there was a brief flash near them. A voice boomed from inside it 'Ah! It is a pleasure to see you, Child of Bhaal. I trust I do not intrude on you?'

Inglor and his company turned round to see the newcomer, who was plainly clad, but radiated an aura of power around him.

#2 Laufey

Posted 16 July 2003 - 05:43 AM

'Put up protection from magical weapons and globes of invulnerability. Skull traps to follow them up. Aerie, help me in providing cover for the fighters. Sarevok, Jaheira - fall back behind the mages.' The words were followed by more arcane chanting, and the soft hiss of the defensive spells of the mages taking effect. There was yet more chanting and this time the effect was the deafening explosions of the skull traps going off. The already weakened demon took the full impact of the skull traps and giving one final howl of agony, collapsed sideways, yielding up its ghost. The last obstacle had fallen.

Oh, I liked your descriptions of the battle! Very vivid!

Jaheira, it seemed, had voiced his own concerns. Inglor had come a long way since the frightened elf had fled to her in the Friendly Arm Inn. She was his teacher, his friend and lately, his lover. He had come to depend on her help greatly, he valued her counsel immeasurably. She was one of the few that really cared for him and he genuinely cared for. The thought of having to go on without her grieved and saddened him; the thought of holding the essence of pure evil eternally terrified him. He knew better than anyone what it meant to keep the essence. With just a fraction of the full amount, the essence was hard enough to fight. The entire bulk of the essence, he feared, would be more than he, or anyone else, could handle. All these days, he had feared failure. He had feared that he would fall at the hand of one of his 'family', would be a stepping stone in the ascent of one of his siblings. But now he feared success. He had plotted and schemed to ensure that he would not fall. He had strengthened himself against enemies of all kinds. He was farsighted and little of importance occurred that was now hidden from him. He had built up a network that would keep him informed of the latest developments on all fronts. He knew without conceit that he was one of the most powerful mortals in the world. That he had succeeded and his siblings had failed was testimony to his preparations and precautions, as to the prowess of his group. Most of those who had opposed him were now dead. Many others, who were once formidable, were now commonplace foes. His achievements were there for everyone to see. But was it success? He knew not the answer to that. Was it to become an evil deity that he had fought all these days? Was it his destiny to be corrupted by the essence that would be forced on him by the Gods? Melissan awaited him in the Throne of Bhaal. He would probably prevail against her as well. If he did, something would have to be done about the power of Bhaal and he hoped that he would have to make that decision. He knew one thing though; he would not accept the essence if he could help it. If there was a way out of this mess, he would find it.

Oh, this was very nice! :) The paragraph was perhaps a bit long, but it managed to say alot about both Inglor and his relationship with Jaheira.

None of this showed in his face however. He smiled impishly 'There will be a special place at the foot of my throne for you.'

'What?!'

LOL!

Inglor was conscious of the stares of everyone in the party on him now. Jaheira looked hopeful, yet fearful. Imoen and Aerie were looking at him with a mixture of curiosity and obfuscation. Sarevok was considering him with ambition and expectation. He was pondering her question when there was a brief flash near them. A voice boomed from inside it 'Ah! It is a pleasure to see you, Child of Bhaal. I trust I do not intrude on you?'

Inglor and his company turned round to see the newcomer, who was plainly clad, but radiated an aura of power around him.

Now this is interesting! An avatar of some god, perhaps?
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:56 AM

Oh, I liked your descriptions of the battle! Very vivid!

Thank you.

Oh, this was very nice! :) The paragraph was perhaps a bit long, but it managed to say alot about both Inglor and his relationship with Jaheira.

He is worried because it seems to be a Catch 22 situation.

LOL!

:)

Now this is interesting! An avatar of some god, perhaps?

Very correct.

#4 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 01:51 PM

The air reeked from an unholy compound of the sickly sweet and sulphurous stench of the burnt and damaged flesh of the Ravager, the desiccating fumes of the wilting spells cast by the mages and the ubiqituous abyssal vapours in the background. The confined space in the Pocket Plane reverberated with the inarticulate roars of demonic fury, the groans and battle cries of the fighters, the gentle and quiet yet eerie chanting of the spellcasters and the hiss of the razor sharp blades and shafts.

Yikes! It's a wonder you can breathe there at all - and in any case where is the air in the Abyss coming from? Just think of all these fires and burning ...

A ghostly voice echoed distantly 'The final challenge has been completed successfully, Child of Bhaal. You may now make your claim for the Throne of your father whenever you desire. Be warned that the choice you make is irrevocable.'

Now, when I hear these I always imagine I am in a subway of some sort and the announcement just went off ... Faerunian Gods are meddlers aren't they?

As the final barrier between him and the Throne of Bhaal fell, Inglor felt something inside him unlocked.

Maybe its just me, I am lousy in grammar anyway, but I would have put 'the final barrier between him and the Throne of Bhaal had fallen'

The thought of having to go on without her grieved and saddened him; the thought of holding the essence of pure evil eternally terrified him.

Ah, he is one of the few who are not excited about it - a wise guy.

Was it to become an evil deity that he had fought all these days? Was it his destiny to be corrupted by the essence that would be forced on him by the Gods?

Now, one would think that beoming a deity at least should be voluntary ( as it is) but I can understand his paranoia.

A voice boomed from inside it 'Ah! It is a pleasure to see you, Child of Bhaal. I trust I do not intrude on you?'

Now let's wait and see who this might be.

I could not find anything I would onject to grammar or spelling wise, but I am not particularly good at it , so be wary.

Excellent beginning,

Cheers!

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 02:47 PM

The air reeked from an unholy compound of the sickly sweet and sulphurous stench of the burnt and damaged flesh of the Ravager, the desiccating fumes of the wilting spells cast by the mages and the ubiqituous abyssal vapours in the background. The confined space in the Pocket Plane reverberated with the inarticulate roars of demonic fury, the groans and battle cries of the fighters, the gentle and quiet yet eerie chanting of the spellcasters and the hiss of the razor sharp blades and shafts. Even above all this din and tumult came the crisp commands of the leader of the group, Inglor. His speech was sharp and clear, but surprisingly quiet.

Very nice fight scenes... seems like a very efficient group with a competent leader.

Jaheira, it seemed, had voiced his own concerns. Inglor had come a long way since the frightened elf had fled to her in the Friendly Arm Inn. She was his teacher, his friend and lately, his lover.

Theo: Most excellent choice, Inglor.

He knew one thing though; he would not accept the essence if he could help it. If there was a way out of this mess, he would find it.

Liked how you brought Inglor's doubts to the surface here. Indeed, our protagonists can't be sure whether they can just give up the essence - after all it might be fused together with one's soul...

'What?!'

Ah, you don't want that woman to have a heart attack before the final battle?

Hmm, you're leaving us in a very interesting moment... hopefully not for too long. :wink:

Oh, and would you mind explaining what is a Catch 22 situation? I must be dense, but perhaps I'm missing something important here... :roll:

#6 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 05:17 PM

Wrong words.

'What?!'

:wink:

Irenicus just won't die.

Hunter

#7 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:03 PM

Yikes! It's a wonder you can breathe there at all - and in any case where is the air in the Abyss coming from? Just think of all these fires and burning ...

Bhaal seems to have got a bad deal in every sense of the term. Pretty bad living quarters, unless he was mad enough to like it. No wonder very few Bhaalspawn like to accept the essence and stay there for eternity. That is also probably the reason people choose 'good' paths in their quests. You get an oasis and greenery. Efficient air purification systems.

Now, when I hear these I always imagine I am in a subway of some sort and the announcement just went off ... Faerunian Gods are meddlers aren't they?

I had thought that Greek Gods were the most infantile of the 'Gods', but the Faerunian ones beat the Greek Gods hands down any day.

Maybe its just me, I am lousy in grammar anyway, but I would have put 'the final barrier between him and the Throne of Bhaal had fallen'

I will check this when I get home.

Ah, he is one of the few who are not excited about it - a wise guy.

He is just not suicidally minded. He also has no interest in scheming, plotting and conspiring for the remainder of his days with these childish creatures that go by the name of Gods.

Now, one would think that beoming a deity at least should be voluntary ( as it is) but I can understand his paranoia.

To quote Tolkien 'To me what was appears less dark than what is to come and that is my care'.

Now let's wait and see who this might be.

next chapter.

I could not find anything I would onject to grammar or spelling wise, but I am not particularly good at it , so be wary.

Excellent beginning

Cheers!

Thanks for the corrections and comments, but most importantly for the encouragement.

#8 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:28 PM

Very nice fight scenes... seems like a very efficient group with a competent leader.

Inglor is a gold elf and is obsessed with efficiency. That will play a role in future.

Theo: Most excellent choice, Inglor.

Inglor bows.

Liked how you brought Inglor's doubts to the surface here. Indeed, our protagonists can't be sure whether they can just give up the essence - after all it might be fused together with one's soul...

Considering what Jon had to do to get the essence of Bhaal, it is not very surprising, I thought.

Ah, you don't want that woman to have a heart attack before the final battle?

Jaheira has a strong heart. She is used to Inglor's cynical remarks.

Hmm, you're leaving us in a very interesting moment... hopefully not for too long. :wink:

Hopefully not.

Oh, and would you mind explaining what is a Catch 22 situation? I must be dense, but perhaps I'm missing something important here... :roll:

That is a phrase from Orwell (1984, I think). Basically, there is an airfield that is in a terrifyingly bad way. You can be allowed off the airfield only if you can prove you are mad and want to go away from the place. But if you ask to be allowed off the airfield, it proves you are not mad, because no one in his right mind would want to stay there.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

#9 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:37 PM

Wrong words.

He will survive this.

Irenicus just won't die.

Do not worry. It is not Irenicus.

Thanks for reading and commenting

#10 Guest_Bibbi_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:47 PM

wow, I'd say this is a pretty interesting story so far, and you've only just described the last challenge of ToB! I look forward to more!

btw, my one comment would be that "obfuscation" seems a bit...much. i had to look it up for its meaning and it seems too fancy for such a simple meaning. maybe other people here recognized it, in which case i retract my argument :)

#11 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 17 July 2003 - 02:48 AM

wow, I'd say this is a pretty interesting story so far, and you've only just described the last challenge of ToB! I look forward to more!

Thanks.

btw, my one comment would be that "obfuscation" seems a bit...much. i had to look it up for its meaning and it seems too fancy for such a simple meaning. maybe other people here recognized it, in which case i retract my argument :)

I suppose I am being too pedantic and sophisticated. I will see what I can do to remove that kind of thing. I just tried to avoid repeating the same words.

#12 Weyoun

Posted 18 July 2003 - 12:47 AM

Looks like they've prepared well.

Wow... Impressive.

'What?!'

LOL! He makes it sound so romantic. :lol:

Arrghhh! I hate cliffhangers! :lol:

Great stuff,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#13 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 19 July 2003 - 03:02 AM

Looks like they've prepared well.

Inglor is a gold elf. He is nothing if not fastidious.

Wow... Impressive.

Thanks

LOL! He makes it sound so romantic. :twisted:

He is cynical about most things, but here, yes.

Arrghhh! I hate cliffhangers! :wink:

Hopefully, it will not be for long.

Great stuff,
---Weyoun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com