Unwilling to Acquiesce – Part 37

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 14 July 2003 - 07:46 AM

Almost an hour has passed when Adamant reappears in the doorway to the tomb of King Strohm III. His armour is marked with soot and there is a ruddy patch on the side of his face, clearly a burn. The Chaos Blade is unsheathed in his hand, but the other hand holds onto something carried over his shoulder; he is clearly not ready for battle. He marches wearily towards the doors and sees Nalia, still lying upon the floor, with Anomen kneeling next to her. The warrior-priest of Helm stares blankly at the floor. A thin trickle of blood runs over his breastplate from an untreated wound on his neck. With the sound of Adamant’s footsteps, he looks up at first in hope, then away again in disgust, not for Adamant, but for himself.

Standing over the pair of them are Samia, now unbound, and a motley group of adventurers. The woman is armed, as are her companions, and they have an air of expectant triumph. At Adamant’s approach, she levels the point of her sword at Anomen’s unhelmeted head. Taking warning, the returning paladin halts, just inside the tomb’s threshold. His eyes narrow as he watches carefully, not speaking.

“Your companions are not with you?” asks Samia, affecting concern.

“The tomb was more well protected than you lead us to believe,” answers Adamant in a quiet voice.

“Yes,” says Samia with a wince, as though being reminded of her own treachery causes her some pain. “Sorry about that. My comrades and I were fairly certain that we were not equal of the task. Truth to tell, I did not rate your chances all that highly either. I’m impressed that even you survived. Tell me, were you successful?”

“These are what you wanted, aren’t they?” Adamant asks, hefting an elegant sword with a scarlet hilt and a shield that seems to be made of red scales, off his shoulder and down to the floor with a clatter. The noise reverberates strangely, appearing to continue a little too long, though none of those present seem to notice. Seeing weapon and shield, Samia’s eyes light up.

“That’s what we wanted,” she agrees. “I’m afraid that we will have to take them now, along with your gold and that fancy sword of yours.”

“What if I am unwilling to give these things up?”

“Then I fear these ones will die,” she says, slapping Anomen on the side of the head with the flat of her blade.

“I fear not death,” Anomen declares passionately. “Do not give in to them Adamant. Flee and keep your life. No doubt they mean to kill us all any…!” His speech is cut short by Samia boot, kicking him in the shoulder.

“Bold one, this,” says Samia. “He was quite the hero when my boys came to release me; until we threatened your other comrade. He folded pretty quick then!” Several of the bandits behind Samia snicker at her words. “I think he’s got some feelings for the little lass.”

Anomen struggles to right himself after Samia’s kick, but he does not lift his eyes again.

“I’ll give you one chance Samia,” Adamant says wearily. “If you and your men withdraw now, no blood will be shed.”

“ ‘No blood will be shed’?” Samia repeats, shaking her head. “I thought you just a little trusting, but you are a fool. Kill this twit boys, he’s got my swords and shield.” Samia’s goons start forward, hefting weapons. One is armed with a bow and though he nocks an arrow, he does not loose it, for fear of hitting his comrades in the confined space of the corridor. Next to him a mage begins to invoke a spell to assault Adamant. However, the arcane speech is cut short with a wet, wrenching sound. His eyes are dull and empty as he sinks to the floor, behind him Yoshimo’s leather-clad figure becomes visible, as though stepping from behind an invisible curtain.

“Potions of invisibility,” says the thief, with a roguish grin. “Don’t leave home without them!” The archer turns in shock to face the newly visible thief, but his drawn bow makes him woefully unready for a melee and Yoshimo’s bloody katana cuts him down.

The three armed men surge toward Adamant, who stands his ground, smiling. Two of them pass the doors to the tomb at the same time, not seeing the cobweb thin trip wire of Yoshimo’s traps until it is too late. With a snap, the wire pulls the stoppers on two small vials of alchemist’s fire. The liquid splashes forth from the bottles, igniting on contact with the air and spraying the two men with deadly flame. Seizing up the dragon scale shield, Adamant uses it to protect himself as he charges past the two burning men. The third attacker, not burning but clearly shocked, is torn between attacking Adamant and helping to save his immolated friends. As he charges past the bewilder bandit, Adamant spares the man a wry smile. “Watch out for my friend,” he says.

A deep growling resounds from the depths and the man turns to look in horror as the shadowy figure of a mighty kodiak bear emerges from the shadows, striking at the burning men. It bellows in rage and its claws cut down one man in a single swipe.

Throwing the shield aside, Adamant surges towards Samia, who lifts her own sword to the ready and charges as well. But Anomen drives himself bodily sideways, knocking Samia down as she tries to get past him. As she falls, Adamant kicks her sword from her hand and, using the butt end of his hilt, knocks her senseless.

In short order, the battle is done. The kodiak bear shifts in form and becomes Jaheira again, her shape shifting over. Only Samia and one of her goons survives, and both are swiftly divested of their arms and armour. At sword point they are forced back into the tomb and the party closes the doors.

“You can’t leave us like this,” Samia protests.

“You refused our mercy,” Adamant replies. “Now see if Firkraag’s troops will give you any.”

----

Scouting a little way ahead, Yoshimo finds another alcove for the party to hide in, and they drag the unconscious Nalia there. Pausing to recover, Yoshimo takes the time to clean the blood from his blade.

“It’s an ugly business,” he says. “Killing like that.”

“Killing is always ugly!” says Adamant and Anomen, simultaneously. The two men regard each other in surprise. Then Anomen’s eyes fall again, the pain of self judgement clear upon his face.

“I…I’m sorry, for my failure,” he mutters, the words tasting foul upon his tongue.

“What failure?” asks Adamant, grasping his comrade by the shoulder. “You stayed by Nalia’s side and did what you could to protect her. Defeat is not failure and victory is not always success. What you choose to fight for is always more important than how you choose to fight.”

“I was so ashamed,” whispers Anomen.

“Of course,” agrees Jaheira. When Anomen looks up at her with red rimmed eyes she quickly explains her meaning. “She made you feel ashamed; that was her intention. She made herself feel powerful by making you feel weak.”

“I am a skilled warrior, competent in battle, but this felt just like…like…” Anomen’s thoughts are interrupted by the sound of Nalia stirring on the ground. Reflexively he goes down on one knee beside her, looking to her needs.

“We should treat her as soon as possible,” Jaheira says to Adamant.

“Yoshimo and I will keep watch,” agrees Adamant. As he and Yoshimo walk to the opening of the alcove, Yoshimo smiles a small grin.

“So Adamant, can you see the effectiveness of using some stealth now?” he asks.

“Effectiveness is not the only reason to do something,” Adamant chides, puzzled; his is brow furrowed. “Did you not hear what I said to Anomen?”

“What?” asks Yoshimo with a shrug, also perplexed.

“Nevermind,” Adamant says, resolved that Yoshimo doesn’t understand and likely never will. “Let’s just keep watch.”

#2 Laufey

Posted 14 July 2003 - 12:48 PM

“The tomb was more well protected than you lead us to believe,” answers Adamant in a quiet voice.

Noticed that he didn't exactly lie here. :)

“Bold one, this,” says Samia. “He was quite the hero when my boys came to release me; until we threatened your other comrade. He folded pretty quick then!” Several of the bandits behind Samia snicker at her words. “I think he’s got some feelings for the little lass.”

Anomen struggles to right himself after Samia’s kick, but he does not lift his eyes again.

I'll enjoy seeing something nasty happen to this one.

“Potions of invisibility,” says the thief, with a roguish grin. “Don’t leave home without them!” The archer turns in shock to face the newly visible thief, but his drawn bow makes him woefully unready for a melee and Yoshimo’s bloody katana cuts him down.

Yes! :)

“You refused our mercy,” Adamant replies. “Now see if Firkraag’s troops will give you any.”

Well handled.

“I…I’m sorry, for my failure,” he mutters, the words tasting foul upon his tongue.

“What failure?” asks Adamant, grasping his comrade by the shoulder. “You stayed by Nalia’s side and did what you could to protect her. Defeat is not failure and victory is not always success. What you choose to fight for is always more important than how you choose to fight.”

Aw, I really like Adamant. :D Now he's what I call a true paladin.

“Of course,” agrees Jaheira. When Anomen looks up at her with red rimmed eyes she quickly explains her meaning. “She made you feel ashamed; that was her intention. She made herself feel powerful by making you feel weak.”

Exactly. And that's exactly the type of person I really feel disgusted by.
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 14 July 2003 - 01:28 PM

You... you are just fooling her, right? RIGHT??? ;)

Yep, he's unwilling to acquiesce... :)

Ah, the bitch is certainly enjoying herself, playing with her 'victims'... ;)

“ ‘No blood will be shed’?” Samia repeats, shaking her head. “I thought you just a little trusting, but you are a fool. Kill this twit boys, he’s got my swords and shield.” Samia’s goons start forward, hefting weapons. One is armed with a bow and though he nocks an arrow, he does not loose it, for fear of hitting his comrades in the confined space of the corridor. Next to him a mage begins to invoke a spell to assault Adamant. However, the arcane speech is cut short with a wet, wrenching sound. His eyes are dull and empty as he sinks to the floor, behind him Yoshimo’s leather-clad figure becomes visible, as though stepping from behind an invisible curtain.

Yay, my favorite backstabber at work! :)

Two down, four to go?

The three armed men surge toward Adamant, who stands his ground, smiling. Two of them pass the doors to the tomb at the same time, not seeing the cobweb thin trip wire of Yoshimo’s traps until it is too late. With a snap, the wire pulls the stoppers on two small vials of alchemist’s fire. The liquid splashes forth from the bottles, igniting on contact with the air and spraying the two men with deadly flame. Seizing up the dragon scale shield, Adamant uses it to protect himself as he charges past the two burning men. The third attacker, not burning but clearly shocked, is torn between attacking Adamant and helping to save his immolated friends. As he charges past the bewilder bandit, Adamant spares the man a wry smile. “Watch out for my friend,” he says.

A deep growling resounds from the depths and the man turns to look in horror as the shadowy figure of a mighty kodiak bear emerges from the shadows, striking at the burning men. It bellows in rage and its claws cut down one man in a single swipe.

Yay! How does Adamant manage to convince Jaheira to use the subtle methods? I guess beside him she's learning to be more patient, just as Anomen. :)

In short order, the battle is done. The kodiak bear shifts in form and becomes Jaheira again, her shape shifting over. Only Samia and one of her goons survives, and both are swiftly divested of their arms and armour. At sword point they are forced back into the tomb and the party closes the doors.

Ah, Jaheira's shapeshifting powers are great for description in stories, though in the game its a general rule not to use them... too bad that they are so weak.

Heh, what a fitting solution ;)

Don't you just love a group of high wisdom characters? :)

“Nevermind,” Adamant says, resolved that Yoshimo doesn’t understand and likely never will. “Let’s just keep watch.”

Yep, Yoshi is a bit of a lost course, hehe :D

And Nalia has spent, what, two full chapters badly injured - I sure hope they heal her soon. Sure, she doesn't talk about 'those less fortunate' when unconscious, but still... and I greatly enjoyed the battle scenes, cool stuff!

#4 Guest_NoFace_*

Posted 14 July 2003 - 01:41 PM

What's the level of criticism you are aiming for?

#5 Guest_Rose of Jericho_*

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:25 PM

This is, without a doubt, one of my least favorite battles in the whole game. Those guys suck. I did so enjoy watching Adamant and crew kick the snot out them. (By the way, every time I see Adamant's name, I start humming "Goody Two-Shoes." Is he named after the adjective or the singer?)

Poor Anomen. :( He certainly was humbled, even though he really didn't need to be right here. There isn't anything shameful about being defeated. I really felt bad for him, because he wasn't acting snotty like he usually does, he was just acting like a young man with some misguided priorities.

I also loved the live-and-don't-learn attitude of Yoshimo at the end there.
:wink:

#6 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:34 PM

Almost an hour has passed when Adamant reappears in the doorway to the tomb of King Strohm III. His armour is marked with soot and there is a ruddy patch on the side of his face, clearly a burn. The Chaos Blade is unsheathed in his hand, but the other hand holds onto something carried over his shoulder; he is clearly not ready for battle. He marches wearily towards the doors and sees Nalia, still lying upon the floor, with Anomen kneeling next to her. The warrior-priest of Helm stares blankly at the floor. A thin trickle of blood runs over his breastplate from an untreated wound on his neck. With the sound of Adamant’s footsteps, he looks up at first in hope, then away again in disgust, not for Adamant, but for himself.

Hmm - sounds like Ano didn't keep too good a watch, then.

Heh, I sense a cunning plan. And Samia dioesn't know Adamant well enough to be suspicious of not getting astraight answer.

“These are what you wanted, aren’t they?” Adamant asks, hefting an elegant sword with a scarlet hilt and a shield that seems to be made of red scales, off his shoulder and down to the floor with a clatter. The noise reverberates strangely, appearing to continue a little too long, though none of those present seem to notice. Seeing weapon and shield, Samia’s eyes light up.

:( Don't quite get the significance of the noise carrying on too long, unless it's just because they're magical weapons?

Ah, in that case can't blame Ano for getting captured. I was thinking before that since he had Samia asa hostage he should have been able to use that against her friends, but I guess he couldn't have guarded her and protected Nalia, and he probably values Nalia's life rather higher than Samia's friends value hers.

No need to be ashamed ano - can't win every battle, expecially given how outnumbered he was.

Heh, looks like Samia was a bit too overconfident. I like Adamant's style.

:) But if they lock her in the tomb there's no guarantee that Firkraag's troops will ever find her - might have been kinder just to kill her himself. Killing helpless prisoners may not be a nice thing to have to do, but sometimes it's the best way.

Yep, that's good advice.

Sensible Adamant may be, but he is still a paladin and try as he may I don't thnik he'll ever convert yoshimo to thinking the way he does :wink:

Nice chapter :(

#7 Arcalian

Posted 15 July 2003 - 12:36 AM

Clever, Dread Pirate Roberts, very clever.

Several nice touches; Ano, the battle plan, leaving Samia for the troopers of Firkraag, Ano and Adamant';s feeling about doing same.

sing song: Ano like Nally, Ano likes Nally! :wink:
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#8 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 02:55 AM

Noticed that he didn't exactly lie here. :)

Oh no - lying would be evil :wink: :(

I'll enjoy seeing something nasty happen to this one.

The department of poetic justice is already on the case.

Yes! :(

Glad to please. :(

Well handled.

Thank you.

Aw, I really like Adamant. :) Now he's what I call a true paladin.

Thank you - I take that as a compliment. :)

Exactly. And that's exactly the type of person I really feel disgusted by.

I know the feeling.

Thanks for commenting :)

#9 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:04 AM

You... you are just fooling her, right? RIGHT??? :cry:

Fear not my friend - it is but subterfuge. :wink:

Yep, he's unwilling to acquiesce... :(

Another quip like that and you won't be invited back. :)

Ah, the bitch is certainly enjoying herself, playing with her 'victims'... :)

The power's gone to her head!

Yay, my favorite backstabber at work! :cry:

'at's how it's done! :(

Yay! How does Adamant manage to convince Jaheira to use the subtle methods? I guess beside him she's learning to be more patient, just as Anomen. :(

Jaheira's no fool - she knows that the party is way down on strength.

Ah, Jaheira's shapeshifting powers are great for description in stories, though in the game its a general rule not to use them... too bad that they are so weak.

Yes, they're a long way short of useful in game, unfortunately. :cry:

Heh, what a fitting solution :P

I liked it! :cry:

Don't you just love a group of high wisdom characters? :cry:

:) I hadn't thought about it like that, but you're right.

Yep, Yoshi is a bit of a lost course, hehe :)

And Nalia has spent, what, two full chapters badly injured - I sure hope they heal her soon. Sure, she doesn't talk about 'those less fortunate' when unconscious, but still... and I greatly enjoyed the battle scenes, cool stuff!

Yoshi is a thief - morality in combat is of much less importance to him. And Nalia's back on deck next round.

I'm glad you're enjoying - thanks for posting. :cry:

#10 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:11 AM

What's the level of criticism you are aiming for?

Whatever you want to give. Many readers are just in for the story and they just give encouraging feedback - which is always welcome.

But some people take the time to give more detailed criticism and that's also welcome. Until I'm dead, I will still be learning.

What you see here are always first drafts (I bang them out between writing reports at work) so it's pretty rough. Also, because I'm writing in present tense, I make a tense error at least once every second episode. So all in all, this stuff can do with a good going over every now and then.

So, if you feel moved to comment, throw your hat in the ring. I may not always agree, but I will always listen. :wink:

#11 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:16 AM

This is, without a doubt, one of my least favorite battles in the whole game. Those guys suck. I did so enjoy watching Adamant and crew kick the snot out them. (By the way, every time I see Adamant's name, I start humming "Goody Two-Shoes." Is he named after the adjective or the singer?)

:( Actually, he's named after the mythical medieval metal - the same one that D&D traslates to Adamantine and Marvel comics calls Adamantium. But the adjective is closer than the singer

Poor Anomen. :) He certainly was humbled, even though he really didn't need to be right here. There isn't anything shameful about being defeated. I really felt bad for him, because he wasn't acting snotty like he usually does, he was just acting like a young man with some misguided priorities.

That's what I was aiming for. I've never enjoyed the character of Anomen in BGII (I use him cause he's a great cleric, I just don't like him). When it came time to start writing him I realised that he doesn't have to be an obnoxious snot the whole time (besides which, Laufey's got that Anomen down pat). Basically, I'm doing my own little redemption act on Anomen (just cause you've got the right alignment, doesn't mean you don't need redeeming). :wink:

I also loved the live-and-don't-learn attitude of Yoshimo at the end there.
:(

Thanks - I wasn't sure if it would work. I'm glad it did.

Thanks for posting. :)

#12 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:27 AM

He marches wearily towards the doors and sees Nalia, still lying upon the floor, with Anomen kneeling next to her. The warrior-priest of Helm stares blankly at the floor. A thin trickle of blood runs over his breastplate from an untreated wound on his neck. With the sound of Adamant’s footsteps, he looks up at first in hope, then away again in disgust, not for Adamant, but for himself.

Hmm - sounds like Ano didn't keep too good a watch, then.

Oh - he did alright.

Heh, I sense a cunning plan. And Samia dioesn't know Adamant well enough to be suspicious of not getting astraight answer.

Yes indeed - you don't have to lie to be a little treacherous.

:) Don't quite get the significance of the noise carrying on too long, unless it's just because they're magical weapons?

Aha - that's the invisible Yoshimo sneeking past - he's covering his footsteps by copying the reverberations. At least, that's what's supposed to be going on.

Ah, in that case can't blame Ano for getting captured. I was thinking before that since he had Samia asa hostage he should have been able to use that against her friends, but I guess he couldn't have guarded her and protected Nalia, and he probably values Nalia's life rather higher than Samia's friends value hers.

Also, threatening a prisoner is something that Ano would consider dishonourable.

Heh, looks like Samia was a bit too overconfident. I like Adamant's style.

Thank you. It was about time he was a little cunning in battle.

:) But if they lock her in the tomb there's no guarantee that Firkraag's troops will ever find her - might have been kinder just to kill her himself. Killing helpless prisoners may not be a nice thing to have to do, but sometimes it's the best way.

I didn't make it clear that the doors aren't locked - Samia and her guy are just temporarily detained, while Adamant and Co make a clean gettaway.

Sensible Adamant may be, but he is still a paladin and try as he may I don't thnik he'll ever convert yoshimo to thinking the way he does :wink:

No - I suspect that there's going to be some sad moments come Brynnlaw. :)

Nice chapter :(

Thanks. :(

#13 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:31 AM

Clever, Dread Pirate Roberts, very clever.

"Truly you have a dizzying intellect."

Several nice touches; Ano, the battle plan, leaving Samia for the troopers of Firkraag, Ano and Adamant';s feeling about doing same.

I'm glad you enjoyed it - thanks for commenting. :wink:

sing song: Ano like Nally, Ano likes Nally! :(

Ano and Nally, sittin' in a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G! :(

#14 Guest_NoFace_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 06:13 AM

So, if you feel moved to comment, throw your hat in the ring. I may not always agree, but I will always listen. :(

OK. Just checking. :wink:

Well, it seems to me that there are some major problems. First, the fact that Adamant splits his party, leaving Nalia and Anomen behind even as he suspects foul play. Nalia is badly wounded and Anomen can not hope to prevail over five foes while at the same time keeping watch over her. Even if he has Samia as hostage, any bandid would know that a Helmite (and Ano has "Helmite" written all over him) would never try to use that in battle.

So this decision reflects very badly on Adamant's abilities as a leader. It's either a mistake or lack of interest in his comrades' fate. There was a good chance to return and find Anomen or Nalia dead (after all, Samia &co only needed one hostage).

The second thing is the fate of Samia and the last remaining bandit. It seems that Adamant's decision is to let them starve to death or be killed by Firrkragg's troops. Any paladin that would do such a thing would be in deep problems with his god. While sometimes is true that a paladin has to be judge, jury and executioner, the justice he dispenses must be "swift and final". So Adamant should either take the two prisoners to Garren's cabin and leave them to be judged, or give them a weapon and fight them to the death. The way he chose is "cruel and unusual punishment", and most deities would make him a fallen presto.

The third thing is that Anomen seems to get over the whole issue pretty fast. Anomen is a Helmite, and he has just failed to do his duty as guardian to Nalia. This is a tragedy for a Helmite, the worst thing that could happen. He would have to go through a long period of repentance to get Helm to listen to him again. Helm is LN, he doesn't care about the fact that Ano was outnumbered and taken by surprise. You do your duty as guardian even if you die protecting those entrusted to you. To be taken by surprise shows lack of vigilance. Anomen should by now feel his spells fading, as Helm refuses to fuel them anymore.

Wow, long rant. Hope this helps. And I really like the story, for a first draft is really good! :(

#15 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 07:00 AM

So, if you feel moved to comment, throw your hat in the ring. I may not always agree, but I will always listen. :)

OK. Just checking. :(

Wow - I walked into this one, didn't I? :wink: :(

Well, it seems to me that there are some major problems. First, the fact that Adamant splits his party, leaving Nalia and Anomen behind even as he suspects foul play. Nalia is badly wounded and Anomen can not hope to prevail over five foes while at the same time keeping watch over her. Even if he has Samia as hostage, any bandid would know that a Helmite (and Ano has "Helmite" written all over him) would never try to use that in battle.

So this decision reflects very badly on Adamant's abilities as a leader. It's either a mistake or lack of interest in his comrades' fate. There was a good chance to return and find Anomen or Nalia dead (after all, Samia &co only needed one hostage).

In Adamant's defense, he's thinking on the fly. Yoshimo's heard something; an ambush is likely and the party is not in a defensible position.

If the ambush is coming from the tomb (the most likely situation) then going to fight it while leaving a guard for your wounded is not a bad option (true, it's not a good option either).

If the ambush is coming from the corridor, then keeping your strongest forces out of range gives counterattack options.

Tying up Samia is to prevent her sticking a dagger in Anomen's back if he's distracted by other assailants.

On a strictly functional note, one hostage is never as good as two. With two you've still got something to negotiate with if you have to kill one. With one hostage you're further into the corner.

The second thing is the fate of Samia and the last remaining bandit. It seems that Adamant's decision is to let them starve to death or be killed by Firrkragg's troops. Any paladin that would do such a thing would be in deep problems with his god.

Adamant is not obliged to finish his enemies off, nor to rescue them from their own bad judgement. Samia is in Firkraag's lair by her own choice and she led the ambush on the party. As I responded to another poster, I didn't make it clear enough that Adamant fully expects Samia to be able to sneak out - that's a failure on my part as an author.

While sometimes is true that a paladin has to be judge, jury and executioner, the justice he dispenses must be "swift and final". So Adamant should either take the two prisoners to Garren's cabin and leave them to be judged, or give them a weapon and fight them to the death. The way he chose is "cruel and unusual punishment", and most deities would make him a fallen presto.

Hoo - boy. I agree, to an extent. However, Adamant has an overriding aim - to rescue Garran's child. Taking prisoners is the best option, but not feasible in this circumstance. Execution is not in keeping with a paladin if you ask me. A paladin is not judge and jury unless some law or authority appoints him so. Currently, Adamant is a paladin of Torm, giving him no such rights. So, Adamant is left with only bad choices - but as I said, he's not in fact leaving Samia and her companion to starve, so it's a matter of being unable to enact legal retribution and fulfil the greater good.

The third thing is that Anomen seems to get over the whole issue pretty fast. Anomen is a Helmite, and he has just failed to do his duty as guardian to Nalia. This is a tragedy for a Helmite, the worst thing that could happen. He would have to go through a long period of repentance to get Helm to listen to him again. Helm is LN, he doesn't care about the fact that Ano was outnumbered and taken by surprise. You do your duty as guardian even if you die protecting those entrusted to you. To be taken by surprise shows lack of vigilance. Anomen should by now feel his spells fading, as Helm refuses to fuel them anymore.

Man am I glad you don't DM any games I play in - that's a ruthless viewpoint. It seems that you are saying that there are only two kinds of Helmites - "successful Helmites" and "ex-Helmites". As a god of guardians, I would suspect that Helm would favour a guard who chose the survival of his charge over a "death-or-glory" stand. If Anomen had fought on and allowed Nalia to be slain, he would have failed much worse than he did here. The fact that Helm is LN doesn't necessarily make him a fascist without care for motivation. Anomen did his duty, he just wasn't successful as a result.

There's a line from the very first Adamant piece where Adamant is in training and he says "I will live on my knees so that others may live on their feet." That's the kind of morality I'm trying to capture here. There are plenty of knights with shining armour and unimpeached honour who just end up making one want to puke, they're so full of their glory. Adamant - and eventually Anomen - are heroes who are not afraid to get dirty doing what needs to be done. At least that's the idea.

Wow, long rant. Hope this helps. And I really like the story, for a first draft is really good! :)

Believe it or not, it helps a lot. Your analysis comes from a totally different viewpoint to mine, but it's really sparked me thinking. Also, don't assume that Anomen's over all this just yet. He has some depths to plumb before he sees the light of day I fear.

Thanks for commenting. :)

#16 Guest_NoFace_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:40 AM

There's a line from the very first Adamant piece where Adamant is in training and he says "I will live on my knees so that others may live on their feet." That's the kind of morality I'm trying to capture here. There are plenty of knights with shining armour and unimpeached honour who just end up making one want to puke, they're so full of their glory. Adamant - and eventually Anomen - are heroes who are not afraid to get dirty doing what needs to be done. At least that's the idea.

You know, now that I think of it, you're right. As a guardian it was Anomen's duty to make sure Nalia lives, and he did that. So I guess helm's not so mad at him. OK, he wasn't vigilant enough and he was cought offguard, but that's not so bad if he ended up making sure his charge lives.

But at second reading I do suggest one little alteration. I don't think Anomen would say to Adamant "Flee and save your life". It's just not him. After all, he's a knight (or future knight) speaking to a paladin. You could put more emphasis on the fact that the sound of the shield and sword dropping on the floor were actually masking Yoshimo's sounds. That was a great idea! :wink:

OH, and one more thought. Helm and Torm don't have very good relations, mainly because Helm seems to have started taking over Torm's portfolio of "Duty" in recent years. I think this could put an interesting spin on Anomen's and Adamant's friendship in the future, don't you think?

Cheers! :(

#17 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:15 PM

OH, and one more thought. Helm and Torm don't have very good relations, mainly because Helm seems to have started taking over Torm's portfolio of "Duty" in recent years. I think this could put an interesting spin on Anomen's and Adamant's friendship in the future, don't you think?

More precisely, their clergies are engaged in a sometimes bitter rivalry. The deities themselves get along fine. :)

#18 Guest_NoFace_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:26 PM

I'm not sure, but maybe this Helmite obsession with "duty" might have something to do with Torm's death during the Times of Troubles? Maybe then Helm's clergy has started to intrude upon "Torm's turf'? After all, manny clerics of the True God died to give him the power to fight Bane. There was a void on the market, new followers to recruit...

Maybe Helm took over the portfolio temporarily, because Torm was dead? Oh, who knows. Let's not ask questions better left to aged sages... :)

#19 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:26 PM

I'm not sure, but maybe this Helmite obsession with "duty" might have something to do with Torm's death during the Times of Troubles? Maybe then Helm's clergy has started to intrude upon "Torm's turf'? After all, manny clerics of the True God died to give him the power to fight Bane. There was a void on the market, new followers to recruit...

Maybe Helm took over the portfolio temporarily, because Torm was dead? Oh, who knows. Let's not ask questions better left to aged sages... :)

Nah, the portfolios of the dead gods were left empty until Ao allowed the deities back into the planes.

A lot of it is competition over followers. An even larger part, though, is the Helmites' efforts to boost their church's reputation after the beating it's taken over the ToT and Maztica. They've really been pushing the idea that Helmite bodyguards are the most trustworthy. The Tormtar haven't taken that insult lightly.

#20 Guest_NoFace_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:40 PM

A lot of it is competition over followers. An even larger part, though, is the Helmites' efforts to boost their church's reputation after the beating it's taken over the ToT and Maztica. They've really been pushing the idea that Helmite bodyguards are the most trustworthy. The Tormtar haven't taken that insult lightly.

Yeah, I know about the bodyguard marketing. But they do have a point, after all Helm IS the God of Guardians. And after their actions during the ToT the Tormtars should really not get offended. After all, they were the ones "converting" the unbelievers in Tantras :)

I wonder, with all the clerics left without spells, the Helmites should have made a fortune during the ToT, with their god not being forced to take on an avatar. I guess everyone claimed to be a Helm worshipper back then, just to get some healing. Not everyone had a god within a mile from them :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com