Of Dragons and Disguises

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Soris_*

Posted 16 December 2002 - 05:08 AM

Of Dragons and Disguises

“Imoen! Duck!” Soris gave the flame arrow everything he had. It struck the Drow warrior squarely in the chest with a sizzling thunk. The Drow let out a grotesque scream that ended only with his death. Soris looked about to see how the remainder of the party was faring. Minsc and Keldorn had backed the remaining priestess into a corner. She was furiously chanting a spell when Carsomyr cleaved her in two.

“Well that’s that. Shall we move on?” Imoen offered.

“How can she be cheerful?” Soris wondered. “We’ve been in countless battles now, and every one makes me want to run somewhere and puke.”

“Perhaps we should wait for a while. Our exalted leader looks a little…green.”

Soris thought he could see a smirk flash across Viconia’s face as they prepared to move on. “I’m fine. Let’s go found out about this Lady Adalon.”

The group stood before a long, dark tunnel. The darkness of it was overwhelming and even Viconia seemed uneasy. Keldorn move to the front, crossbow unslung. “Give me the light gem.”

Soris frantically fumbled through pockets and pouches and succeeded in dropping the light stone before he managed to hand it to the waiting paladin. As the follower of Torm touched the stone, it emitted a warm, friendly light and the party was able to advance down the tunnel. At its end stood a magnificent hall. Soris thought it was reminiscent of other dragon lairs they’d visited, but it was much cleaner. No decaying bones, charred corpses or any of that nonsense. Still, he couldn’t help but feel a sense of foreboding. Something was definitely wrong here.

His thoughts were interrupted as a voice spoke from the back of the cave. “Welcome, welcome to my lair. I have watched your progress with great interest.”

The voice had a strange, almost song-like quality that left Soris completely entranced. He became so entranced that he actually kept everyone waiting for a response. Jaheira cleared her throat while Keldorn shifted uneasily on his feet, keeping a wary eye on the dragon. Finally, Minsc broke the silence. He leaned in close to Soris and said, “Umm…Soris, Minsc does not know of such things, but Boo thinks it is time for you to talk.”

Soris came out of the trance with a start. He shook his head several times to clear his mind. “Wow!” He thought. “My…my lady, you honor me with your words.”

“I’m sure I do, but flattery is not why I have allowed you to come here. Do not think me too generous; I am not as tolerant as others of my kind.”

She definitely has something on her mind,” Soris became wary. “Why does everyone I meet want something from me?”
The dragon went on, “I am Adalon, the guardian, and I have done my duty as well as I have been able for many a century. I was not the first, but I know the history.”

Imoen took that moment to express her own sense of amazement. “You are truly a magnificent sight, my Lady. I am awed.”

“Oh please!” Soris heard Viconia mutter behind him. “I could show you wonders that would make your heads spin and your hearts race, but you insist upon marveling over this creature?! Just get on with it.”

Soris smiled. Viconia was obviously unimpressed. He wished he could see some of the things she might show them, but sightseeing was rather difficult when one was running for his life. “Another time, my bright star, another time.”

Adalon looked only slightly annoyed by the interruptions and continued speaking. “Yes, yes, of course, but I have little time for your starry-eyed fawning. Listen well to what I say. My charge is the elven ruins above, an ancient temple that marks the gateway to the Underdark. There are others elsewhere, but this was the first.”

“I understand that this is an important place, but as you said. There are others. Very few of them have guardians such as yourself. Why does this place warrant a guardian while the others do not?” Keldorn seemed genuinely interested and much of his initial uneasiness was put aside. He still eyed the dragon carefully, however.

The dragon gave them a timeless look and let out a small sigh before going on. “The temple marks the spot where the elves of dark hearts first descended, truly separating from Elven kind and becoming Drow. The Drow keep the outpost of Ust Natha as a symbol, one that is fought over regularly, though I have governed the hostilities and seen peace for decades at a time. But there has been a crime here recently, and I can no longer honor my commitment. I will ask your assistance, and in return I will aid you.”

Soris groaned. The dragon was about to give them some unbelievably difficult quest. “Nothing is every easy,” the old mage’s words came back to him. He couldn’t remember exactly where he had heard that particular adage, but it was probably from his Candlekeep days. Still, he couldn’t help but offer his assistance. He did not turn down those in need, and the dragon obviously had great need. He also thought he had a hint as to where the conversation was going. “Speak on and I will see what I can do.”

“Silence! I…I will tell you when you may speak. This is a VERY important matter, and I will not be interrupted.” The look she gave him reminded Soris of the looks Viconia gave when he disturbed her. Although he had usually found ways to make it up to Viconia, he decided things might be more difficult with the silver dragon and promptly clamped his mouth shut.

As he was thinking, Jaheira nudged him aside and took control of the conversation. “Of course, my Lady Adalon, Soris, do keep quiet.”

Adalon waited for complete silence before she continued. “The Drow respected the borders of this place for centuries, only venturing out for sport and small skirmishes. That was the balance. The two you seek, this Bodhi and Jon Irenicus, I believe they have made a deal with the Drow for their own safe passage and offered a way to tip the scales against their own Elven enemy.”

Soris allowed himself to relax a little while Jaheira continued to dominate to discussion. “It is unfortunate that they did not offend you in some way. We might have been spared the headache of this journey if they had to face an angry Silver.”

The Druid’s comment seemed to hit a nerve and Adalon adopted a painful expression. “You may ask why I do not extend my influence. I cannot. Irenicus bargained with my most prized possession. He violated my lair and stole from me. They have taken my eggs.”

The story made Soris’ stomach churn. That Irenicus and Bodhi would stoop to steal a dragon’s eggs did not really surprise him. They had stolen both his and Imoen’s souls, but their actions still repulsed him. Stealing the eggs was the equivalent of kidnapping children in his mind, and he hated kidnappers and slavers. Adalon was obviously upset, and rightly so. Soris remained silent. Minsc did not.

“Such vile actions deserve a royal butt-kicking. Minsc and Boo shall find them, and Boo will feast on their eyeballs!”

Soris winced at Minsc’s less-than-delicate handling of the situation, and attempted to regain control of the conversation. “This is a most unfortunate occurrence. I assume they will destroy your eggs should you attempt to interfere with their actions.”

“That is very true. I have been informed that to move from my lair is to cause the destruction of my eggs. It is the final straw in a long list of atrocities I have been witness to. You must retrieve them for me. Do this, and I will reveal a safe escape route to leave the Underdark, one that emerges close to where Irenicus plots his next move. In addition to placing you near your target, I will also make a gift of an item from my hoard. I t will be powerful, and worthy of your service.”

Soris couldn’t help but feel sorry for the dragon. She was as trapped in her actions as he was. “You know I would help you even if there were no reward.”

“Very noble, though I have had many a person give up on such vows before. My term here has soured me on the company of non-dragons. I am grateful however, and will see to your success. I do not ask you to assault the city, rather to enter it with subtlety. You will take the identity of a group of Drow I dispatched recently, a party from another city destined for Ust Natha.
The paladin interrupted at this point. “I must confess that I do not find this prospect very appealing. I for one do not relish the prospect of appearing as an evil creature. Even if it is only a disguise.”

I guess it’s fitting that the paladin would object to this plan,” Soris thought and shrugged. He knew Keldorn was a man of strict morals. He had also been surprised that the paladin had agreed to work with Viconia. The two had an uneasy truce, and Soris was grateful. He needed them both. He only hoped Viconia would not make this even harder on the old paladin than it needed to be.

“It will be an improvement, I think. One that you should relish as a brief glimpse of your betters.”

Soris was wondering as to how he was going to deflate the situation when Adalon rebuked Viconia. “I will address you shortly, Drow. Make no mistake.”

Keldorn shot a look in Viconia’s direction, but thankfully did no more than that. Adalon went on.

“First, to the rest of you, I will transform you, and you will be able to pass among the Drow with ease. They will not see through the fiction I create. When you arrive at the gate, tell them you are from the city of Ched Nasad, and that you seek sanctuary within Ust Natha.”

Soris had heard enough and was ready to be off. “Very well. Cast your spells and let the illusion begin.”

“Yes, let it be done.”

Soris felt a slight tingling move throughout his body. He looked about, but he could see nothing but a great haze of whiteness. He felt light, as if he were floating. Gradually, the world grew dim again and the tingling sensation ended. “Too bad I couldn’t see what she was doing,” he thought. “This would have been a useful spell to duplicate. Oh well.” He looked about as his comrades. Everyone seemed to be all right, and all of them looked like Drow. He also noticed that Adalon had taken leave to alter Viconia’s appearance. “Good. Now there’s no chance she’ll be recognized, at least, not by casual observation.” He couldn’t help but think, however, that he liked the way she usually looked better. “Don’t mess with perfection…” he muttered. “At least she’ll be safe.”

Viconia had caught him glancing in her direction. “What is it jaluk? See something you like?”

“Ummm…Yes, I was just noting the effectiveness of the disguise. I think it just might work.”

Adalon saved him any further conversation. “It is done. You now resemble the denizens of the Drow city, complete with a house insignia that will not draw undue attention. I suggest you act like Drow when speaking to anyone you meet. You will also have knowledge of the dark tongue, both to speak and to understand. The illusion will last as long as it needs to. Trying to leave the city through their main gate to the surface will dispel the magic. You will be on your own against impossible odds. I am sorry, but I must protect my interests. The only safe escape is through my influence once my eggs are safely recovered.”

Soris sighed and looked at his boots, “I will do what I can, Adalon.”

“I thank you. Remember, you are from Ched Nasad. Take a Drow name as well. Take ‘Veldrin,’ it is commonly used.

As the party turned to leave, Adalon pulled Viconia aside. Soris waited for her at the mouth of the entrance tunnel while the others proceeded out into the Underdark. It seemed the darkness of the tunnel only deterred beings from entering the lair, not leaving it. Adalon and Viconia spoke for several minutes, and Soris thought he saw Viconia pale a little at the dragon’s words. He didn’t know what the dragon was saying, but he trusted Viconia with his life and knew she would deal with whatever it was. Finally the dragon and the Drow finished their discourse and Viconia joined him. They left the dragon’s lair together. As they were passing through the tunnel Viconia stopped. She took him firmly by the by both arms. Her gaze was intense. Soris could have become lost there, but she dug her nails into his arms, keeping him aware.

“Remember, you are the leader.” Her voice was low and harsh. “You must follow your superiors to the letter and never show any sign of weakness. You are an outsider and will be given no quarter. Anything you earn will be bought with your sweat and your blood, if need be. I will help you, but I can only be the guide. It will be you who has to lead. There will be things that you see that you hate. You must ignore them. You must harden your heart. It is the only way you will survive.”

He thought he heard her voice waver during the last sentence, but he wasn’t sure. Her words frightened him and at the same time inspired him. He would do this. He would get them all out alive. As they turned to rejoin the party another thought made him smile. “Viconia DeVir, my guiding star. In all of this darkness I have a guiding star. Perhaps things aren’t so bad after all.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com