Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 2.35.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 28 June 2003 - 08:56 AM

Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 2.35.

Jaheira rises from the chair and swiftly turns around to face the tall human woman addressing her. “What? Reviane? What are you doing here?” she asks with a genuine surprise.

“Surely you know the reasons for my visit, Jaheira,” Reviane speaks.

“I… I suppose so…” it seems that Jaheira knows this woman well, “I am surprised that they sent you to do this task.”

“Oh, they wouldn’t have sent me, Jaheira…” Reviane smirks, “I insisted to be given with this task, I do have some interest in the circumstances.”

“I… see,” Jaheira speaks in what sounds like a hurt, saddened voice, “and what are the objectives of your mission, Reviane?”

“To uncover the murderer of a well respected member of the Harpers and another four of our kin, Jaheira,” Reviane smiles, “to exact justice on the culprit, if I deem it as necessary or to present the evidence to the High Heralds.”

“You seem to relish this task…” Jaheira mutters quietly and I take it as a warning, thus I rise from the table to stand beside her.

“Now, I have information that you were supposed to meet Galvarey the very same evening he died… you have anything to say to this, Jaheira?” Reviane asks.

“Does it really matter what I say? I believe that treacherous pest Bernard has told you enough… yes, I killed Galvarey, but it was only in self-defense,” Jaheira responds.

“So you admit to the crime, do you, Jaheira? Self-defense? Why would Galvarey attack you… of course I know that you bore no sympathy for him…” Reviane remarks.

“Believe me, the feeling was mutual,” Jaheira frowns, “think Reviane… why should he set up a meeting in such a place, instead of meeting us at the Hold, unless he planned something that the rest of the Harpers might disagree with?”

“Interesting… Bernard told me that it was you who asked to set up meeting with Galvarey at the Five Flagons… seems we have two contradictory statements neither of which can be proven…” Reviane cogitates aloud.

“So it is my word against Bernard’s word… I have little doubts about whom you will find more trustworthy,” Jaheira adds bitterly.

“Now wait for a moment…” I feel that it is my time to interject, “if somebody wants to imprison me into a small box and force me to spend the rest of my life a few leagues beneath the earth, then I will try to prevent it by using any means necessary. And if someone plans to kill my… err… Jaheira, only to revive and make her an obedient concubine, it does not sit well with me either…”

“Ah… your new… consort?” Reviane smiles, “I admit, part of the reasons why I took this mission was the shear curiosity, whether this talk about you is truth… I could not believe it when I heard it the first time… and I was burning in anger. I thought he deserved someone better than you, Jaheira…”

“Someone… like you Reviane…” Jaheira reaches out to squeeze my hand, “so you do hold the grudge, after all these years and now you are going to use this incident for payback. Despite everything, I always respected and liked you Reviane… I honestly thought you better than Galvarey…”

“I… yes, there were moments when I thought about it… I envisioned making you suffer, the vision of you - praying for mercy and then dying from my blade, it spurred me on…” Reviane speaks, her stern face flinching a little and her eyes gleaming from becoming moist.

“I had to wait for a few days until we had a chance for a talk. During this time I learned more about your unfortunate situation… and I had a chance to think about many things. I realized that I hold the ideals of Harpers too high to betray them by acting like that… and no matter what I do now – nothing is going to bring him back… I will not be the one to judge you, Jaheira. I will let the gods do that… so I will return and report to the High Heralds exactly what you said to me. Ultimately, it will be their decision, but I will not try to sway their minds with false allegations.”

“Do you… do you still…?” Jaheira whispers weakly, overwhelmed with emotions.

“Yes, I do… I do love him still…” Reviane stands proud as she speaks, ferment resolution in her eyes.

“I do as well… honestly, I do,” I feel Jaheira’s grip on my hand intensifying.

“Goodbye, Jaheira,” Reviane speaks before turning around and leaving us standing perplexed until Jaheira throws herself at me in a fierce hug. I feel her tears falling on my neck, but I am sure that those are tears of relief…

“How touching,” Viconia remarks, still sitting at the table, “I don’t remember her being such a weakling though… just confirms what I always knew – these rivvil long-term relationships only make you weak.”

Jaheira departs to our room and just before I follow her upstairs, I turn to tell Jan and Viconia “We are leaving for the sewers in an hour’s time. Make sure that you are ready.”

“Oh, that leaves me a plenty of time to tell you another story,” Jan chortles happily. The last thing I hear coming from downstairs are the sounds of breaking dishes…

It’s already a high noon as we stand at the sewer entrance in the Temple district, making last preparations before entering the darkness below. High Watcher Oisig at the Temple Of Helm informed us that a paladin, who has been investigating this cult, is currently down in the sewers, proceeding with his examination. Sir Keldorn Firecam is the paladin’s name. Sounds rather haughty, but I’ll take any help I can get at this moment.

Jan does all the scouting work, which previously fell to… Yoshimo. Every time I remember him, a flash of burning anger runs through me, but this is not the time to think about it. He is dead and he will bother us no more… but he was just a puppet and the puppet master himself is still at large. It is Irenicus, I know it… yet another reason to kill him. I have been thinking - if I was to find him locked in a cell, defenseless… would I be able to kill him?

I was undecided about it before… now I would kill him even when he is asleep, unawares, I would slice his head off and then I would tore away his leather mask that he hides underneath… the damned coward. And I would pierce out his cold, blue eyes, how my heart clenched every time they fell upon me, not giving away a hint of suggestion, whether I will be tortured or spared…

“Theodur,” I feel a hand pulling at my shoulder. Jaheira looks at me, concerned, “what is wrong with you? You almost took the wrong turn.”

“Oh, nothing… I was deep in thought…” I reply sheepishly.

“I see. Try to pick better times for your contemplations, every bit of carelessness can cost us dearly in this place,” Jaheira rightfully lectures me.

Jan returns from his scouting only to inform us of another group of goblins ahead. This is hardly a challenge for us nowadays and those little creatures soon enter the next stage of the natural circle of life and death. Jan uses his stealth and once again, disappears in the tunnel in front of us. Soon he returns and motions to us to hurry up.

“Quickly! Looks like a tin-can in a spot of bother!” Jan cries.

I lead the way as we run through the dirty tunnel, carefully avoiding the large pools of sewage, Jaheira is keeping up the pace alongside me, while Viconia struggles to keep up, running behind us, gasping for breath. We arrive to the designed spot to see an elderly man in a shiny suit of a ridiculously colored full plate being beset by a couple of zombies, and rotting corpses of at least other two already lying at the paladin’s feet.

Jaheira and I quickly slice one of the zombies to pieces, whilst Viconia lowers her head and calls upon the power of her deity to control the other zombie – it stands locked in the spot, looking at her with it’s dead eyes until the paladin slices of it’s head and the zombie collapses to the ground.

What happens next, comes as a surprise. Instead of thanking us for the help, Sir Keldorn points a finger at Viconia and yells “A Drow! Creature most foul!” and raises his two-handed sword to attack Viconia.

“Hold, paladin!” I shout, “Is that the way to repay for our help? By attacking one of my companions? Really, I would have thought a paladin not to make his judgments so quickly.”

“I thank you for the help indeed,” paladin replies calmly, “but dispel my curiosity, stranger – who are you and what leads you to this unholy place? And why do you travel together with a drow?”

“Very well, paladin Keldorn… I will try to satisfy your curiosity,” I speak, this time choosing the words carefully – I do not want to lose a possible ally, “My name is Theodur and I have been asked by Temple Of Helm to investigate this strange, new cult that is taking residence in the sewers. I believe you are here with similar intent.”

Keldorn nods his head as I continue, “These are my companions – Jaheira, Jan Jansen and Viconia De Vir. As for your question regarding Viconia – she is a cleric of Shar and a skillful one of that. She is a vital part of the group and she does not present a threat to you, paladin Keldorn.”

“You could have asked the Order to help in finding a cleric for you, I am sure that something could be arranged. Some of the squires are looking for groups of adventurers to travel with and they are skilled enough and most importantly – they are led by clear motives and pure conscience… which this drow doesn’t inspire in me,” Keldorn speaks convincingly.

I would pick Viconia over any of your self-righteous young idiots, Keldorn… however I restrain from saying it loudly, instead continuing, “Do you have any objections regarding others as well… for example Jaheira and I are lowly half-breed mongrels and Jan here is a rogue, a common thief if you like…”

“No, I assure you-” Keldorn is cut abrupt by Jaheira. “We could start here all day in bickering, I am sure… now pull yourselves together and try to remember why are we all here. Lead the way paladin and tell us what you have discovered,” she speaks, slightly irritated.

As we resume walking, Keldorn comes upfront to join Jaheira and me to tell about the results of his investigation or rather the lack of them. All he has managed to find out is that all the traces lead to the older sewer system that is below the one we currently find ourselves in.

“You must not turn around every odd moment to observe me, paladin,” Viconia laughs, “I am not planning to plant a dagger in your neck, foolish rivvil. Or perhaps I arouse lust and passion in you, old man?”

“Stay away from me, vile creature,” Keldorn replies with disgust on his face.

“Now, Keldy, saying that won’t improve your chances with the lady,” Jan chimes in, “it’s obvious that you have lost all of that charm that once made the ladies hearts melt… worry no longer, Keldy, Jan is here with a sound advice…”

“That’s Keldorn for you, gnome,” Keldorn replies, annoyed, “Theodur, I must say your group is a peculiar one, if I may say so…”

I laugh openly and Jaheira cannot oppress a giggle either, as Keldorn watches us in amusement. “When you are finished laughing about this old paladin, perhaps you will find interesting to know that we have reached our destination,” Keldorn points at an opening in the wall and I see stairs leading downwards in the dark.

“Let us enter under the guidance of Torm and may his blessing lead us through the danger unscathed,” Keldorn speaks heading into the darkness as the first and the rest of us follow him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com