Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 2.32.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 09:26 PM

Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 2.32.

A couple of hours past midnight, when the streets are empty and quiet, engulfed in the darkness… the perfect time to put my plan into action. For now though, I still lie in bed at the Mithrest Inn and try to gather the courage for the task at hand. Slowly and carefully I disengage from Jaheira’s embrace and it is not easy without waking her up…

So much has changed during these days, we both have… I know that she will never admit that, but I sense it from how she touches and holds me – as if every caress could be the last one. It is hard for me to judge the changes in me… all I know that the raging lust and desire for her has now been complimented by new, equally strong feeling. Responsibility? Yes, that was the one lacking trait of my character… perhaps that is it…

Pah! Worthless sulking, there is job to be done, I snap out of this reverie and continue to dress myself. After having donned my combat gear, I carefully open the door, but still cannot do anything about the treacherous creaking of the door hinge. A trace of light from the passageway falls in the room and as I look back towards the bed, I see Jaheira looking at me, eyes wide in surprise.

“Err… you’re awake…” I stammer clumsily.

“Where are you going?” her question comes as a surprise. There is no usual scolding or venom, but instead a little hint of sorrow that makes it all so much more painful.

“There is something I must do, Jaheira. I knew that you would not approve of it, so I decided not to tell you about it,” I am pleasantly surprised at how good saying the truth feels.

“I think I know what you were about to do,” she speaks after a bit of a consideration. “Theodur, you cannot trust them… I know why you are doing this and I still say – don’t…”

“Jaheira, I… I know, but I just can’t… I have to try every option there is,” I try to explain, “and there is not much between Shadow Thieves and vampires, both are equally disgusting… besides, it would only be a talk…”

Without a word she rises from the bed and starts to dress herself, meanwhile I open the door a little wider so that the light falls on her bare body as I watch her in quiet awe…

“I take it that you are coming with me,” she has finally hidden her long, lanky legs beneath the trousers, which means that I have recovered my ability to speak.

“Indeed, I am. And on the way to the graveyard, I think we will have to talk about some things… such as mutual respect and trust,” she replies sternly. I can only smile in reply… slowly, but she is on the way to become her normal self once again…

We make our way through the graveyard, circling the pathways amongst the numerous tombstones - the full moon makes the visibility as good as in daytime. Still we don’t see no vampires or any other being around, thus we turn off to one of the side ways leading amongst large and luxurious crypts. Likely that most of the respected Amnish nobility have their own family crypt here, judging by the sheer number of them.

A sound of a crypt door shutting makes us spin around and see that we are alone no more. In front of us stands the most peculiar creature I have ever seen – obviously it is or was a woman, her lack of clothing makes it rather obvious. She can be even considered as good looking, her face with elven features, skin so unnaturally pale. And then that black color fetish… whatever little clothes she is wearing, everything is black as well as those ridiculous gloves and boots… perhaps a fashionable attempt to match the color of her hair.

Before she has started talking, my tongue slips first…

“You must be freezing cold… I can lend you my cloak, if you need it…”

“She is undead, Theodur,” Jaheira hisses, not entirely happy about my comment.

“Well, it was about time you arrived,” the vampire purrs in a soft, teasing voice, absolutely unbecoming of a cruel bloodsucker, “sadly I already punished Valen for failing to convince you effectively enough… but enough of that. My name is Bodhi and I greet you warmly.”

“Why are we here?” I feel that this Bodhi person is one of those who like to talk in circles - that’s why I’m trying to be direct.

“Well, you came here on free will, so you should now it yourself… but I understand what you mean. There are many reasons why we must meet here, most trivial of them - safety from being overheard. Allow me shortly explain the benefits of working together with me.”

“Dear lady, we have not come looking for employment,” I reply with certainty, “we are here to purchase a very specific piece of information and we are not even sure whether you have access to it.”

“Ah, yes…” Bodhi smiles, showing her white, glistening fangs, “but what about your relations with the Shadow Thieves? You plan to use their help and occasionally do errands for them… Have you ever stopped to consider why are they inclined to help you? You should perhaps think more about that.”

“Well, technically I do not work for them, I am not amongst the ranks of Shadow Thieves,” I retort, “to be honest, I despise them. But yes, I intend to use their help…”

“The help to find your missing friend, Imoen. And how much would their help cost you? You obviously have seen enough to conclude that the motives of Shadow Thieves are murky and questionable… I would offer an alternative way to solve your problems. I would help to find your friend for… let’s say… 15,000 gold? I am sure that it is a lot less than the Shadow Thieves had asked…”

I exchange looks with Jaheira and I can clearly see negative acceptance in her eyes… true, the sum is a lot less, but we don’t even have this much. Perhaps I can still try to extract some information from this creature…

“I think that the time for contemplation has passed,” Bodhi speaks up first, “Obviously you have questions and I can understand your curiosity. You probably wonder, why would I do this, what is my gain in this.”

Seeing us both nodding in approval, Bodhi continues. “You are no fool, and I will entrust you with a little secret. Choosing your allegiance in this conflict between the Shadow Thieves and me will make you a powerful weapon in the hands of one of the groups. The kinds of tool nobody will hesitate to use… you are a very capable person, Theodur, and you know it. Do not let the Shadow Thieves fool you – the money they ask from you is not going to be their final demand…”

“So you say, but I have yet to see the proof of your words,” what she says sounds logical, but I am fully aware that a vampire cannot be trusted.

“Shadow Thieves are becoming desperate. They loose more members every day, and many more have already deserted to join us… you are theirs last chance to save their monopoly in the city. Would you agree to pay them such an amount of money and risk gaining such a dangerous enemy as me? I would hate for us to be on opposite sides…” Bodhi’s voice balances between purring and hissing as she tries to be intimidating and alluring at the same time.

“Very well, I will listen you out,” I reply, “please proceed with your plan, what do we receive for our 15,000 gold.”

“Oh, all that will be asked from you will be a few gestures to prove your loyalty… I will not lie to you – there will be blood spilled and there will be some killing to do. By now you should be used to it though… remember, siding with the Shadow Thieves will result in the same, but the consequences will be more dire for you…”

Seeing my indecision, she continues, “You will be well compensated for the money you paid me. You will get Imoen back and I will add a couple of magical trinkets from my personal collection… and I will help you to find Irenicus, but not only for you to fulfill your vengeance. I have an interest in him myself.”

“What interest could you have in that beast, vampire?” Jaheira asks sharply, “Are you aligned with him? That would not surprise me one little bit…”

“Let’s just say that reaching Imoen and Irenicus will be your joint goal in time… as for mine interest in him… I’m afraid that those are details that I cannot share with you until you have declared our allegiance, if you wish to know more about him, you must join me,” I see impatience in Bodhi’s face, “the time to decide has come, I am tired of waiting and my mouth is dry from the talking… Choose your allegiance, the Shadow Thieves or me.”

Jaheira gives me a warning glare that only leaves me with one option and I would have taken it without her “encouragement”…

“You were talking about the questionable and murky motives of the Shadow Thieves. Your motives are far too darker than theirs and if not only that, then your relations or interest in Irenicus make me more suspicious. I decline your offer. We will not work with you, Bodhi,” I finish adamantly and see her face expression twisting with rage and anger.

“How...unfortunate for you. Very well, you are dismissed and may leave. Know that you have made an enemy here today and it is only a matter of time when we face each other in battle. And then it will be too late to regret this foolish decision,” having made her last warning, Bodhi gives as a toothed smile and disappears in the dark.

“Well, we might as well start preparing by sharpening some wooden stakes,” Jaheira sighs, “I am glad that you chose to decline her offer… it would be very helpful to have a cleric around when we face her, though…”

“Agreed… but where on earth could we get a cleric now? Oh, I remember – there was that g-” I am interrupted by a clear, shrill feminine voice speaking behind my back…

“So, iblith … my words come true after all… it seems like you have been forced into the corner with no way out. I told you will be crawling back to me, wael, and here you are…”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com