Who Hunts the Wolf 2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Raven_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:44 AM

Hello again, and thank you to everybody who commented on the first chapter. I don't know why I stayed in the shadows when the light is full of so many nice people. :roll: Here's the next chapter, in which someone else gets to say his piece. (Special thank you to Laufey--I lifted one of Imoen's hobbies straight from Cards. :wink: I hope you can forgive me...)

Warning for Jaheira fans: expect grossly unfair slander.

MAN BEARS STRIKING RESEMBLANCE TO HAMSTER

Patience, Yoshimo. Think of the sea. The sea. Vast and unchanging. Unknowable. Calm. Think of the tide washing up onto the shore. Leaving patterns in the sand. Someone walking on the beach, leaving footprints on the sand, kicking the sand and it flies in your face…!

No. All right, think of a rock then. Nice, solid rock. Throwing the rock!

This is not working.

At this point, he didn’t need any motive to kill the Bhaalspawn other than that she was slow. Not that he would be able to kill her at first, of course. The mage had explained that she was too powerful to fight yet. That was why he would have to observe her first, to find weaknesses that the mage could exploit. But once the mage had weakened her—the kill was his. The mage had promised him that, in exchange for his oath.

Calm. Even the long, dull wait had not stifled his need for action, revenge now and quickly. You must think of her as just another target. Emotions are fog obscuring the land. Let them drift on the horizon, and you will end on the rocks instead of in the harbor.

He paced back and forth in front of the portal. The soft squealing from the creatures in the next room was unbearable loud in the silence. He was very tempted to go wring a few of the beasts’ necks.

Calm, Yoshimo. This should not be a difficult concept.

Suddenly the portal began to swirl, transforming from a clear blue pool to an angry whirlpool. He stepped back reflexively, and forced himself to sheathe his katana and stand in the most visible part of the room. It was a delicate balance he had to keep—not appearing threatening at first so he could avoid conflict, but still showing enough competence to be a useful party member.

He directed his best bemused grin toward the shadows that were beginning to take shape in the portal. He was ready for them.

The first one to take form was a girl with bright pink hair, who stumbled forward and hunched over as if she was about to be sick. Next came a redhead holding a longsword slick with black blood—her quick green eyes went straight to him, and she moved in front of the girl. Then a giant man appeared, the purple tattoos on his shaved head identifying him as one of the famed Rashemi berserkers.

The last to appear was a half-elf with hard brown eyes and a face that was all points. She readied her weapon, a quarterstaff with a faint hum of magic to it, in his direction. Her teeth were bared in something akin to a snarl.

Now he knew his enemy. But the time was for words, not fighting, and his story would have to be quick and convincing. He made sure the broad grin was fixed on his face, and began.

“Greetings, fair ones! Yoshimo did not expect to see ladies of light in these dark dungeons. The gods favor us, indeed.”

“Yoshimo would be you, I take it?” the redhead asked warily.

“But of course.” He bowed. “I would ask what such beautiful maidens are doing here, but I fear we share a common cause. Still, perhaps we can escape together, yes?”

“Boo does not understand the little man,” the giant boomed suddenly. “What is all this talk of ladies and maidens? Boo does not see any necklaces or dresses here, which is sad since he cannot use them to massage his tender mouth.”

Yoshimo blinked. I don’t know how to begin to decipher that. “Actually, Boo, I referred to your female companions here.”

The redhead let out a strange sound at this point, as if she were choking. The pink-headed girl was covering her mouth with her hand and apparently holding her breath. The half-elf snorted.

“What?” he asked, spreading his hands in mute appeal. “I was just explaining to Boo…”

For some reason this only made the pink-haired girl ram her fist harder against her mouth. The redhead gave her a hand up, took a deep breath and stepped forward.

“I think that Boo thinks you are somewhat mixed-up in the mind,” she said seriously, but her eyes danced with hidden laughter. “’Ladies’ is a term generally given to noblewomen who can wear enormous pearl necklaces under two or three chins, while ‘maidens’ populate all the badly-written knight romances. Minsc and Boo, being Minsc and Boo,” here the pink-haired girl began to giggle uncontrollably, “could not tolerate such slander of adventuring companions.”

“Ral is very smart, like Boo,” the berserker said after a moment. “But I am confused.”

“Don’t worry about it, Minsc,” the pink-haired girl gasped. “She’s just translating you into bard-speak. They have to say everything in twenty words or more. Thinking of taking up a new profession, Ral?”

"No," the redhead began, but the berserker interrupted her.

“Boo’s whiskers are quivering." Nani?!

“Is your friend here named Minsc?” Yoshimo asked the redhead--Ral, apparently. He felt like he had forgotten his wits back in Athkatla.

"The berserker is, yes.”

“I’m going to regret this…”

“Probably,” Ral agreed cheerfully.

“But who is Boo?”

“Boo is the partner of Minsc in the righteous duty of applying the strong bootprint of good upon the backside of evil!” Minsc explained.

“More specifically,” Ral added, “Boo is a miniature giant space hamster.”

Yoshimo coughed. “Is he now?” There was, in fact, a hamster perched on Minsc’s shoulder; he had overlooked it in the initial confusion.

“Of course he is!” the berserker boomed. “Just as Minsc is Minsc, so Boo is Boo, and they cannot be any different. What is your name, little man? Are you going to join our butt-kicking quest?”

“Yoshimo, right?” Ral said before Yoshimo could repeat himself. “I’d be interested to hear why you’re in this dungeon, first.”

At last, something I was prepared for. He gave her a plausibly generic story of mysterious capture in the night. Best to keep it simple. The fewer questions, the better.

She only asked one. “Did you ever see him? The man who takes all the prisoners.”

“I’m afraid not,” he said. “I escaped shortly after I awoke, and it has not been long since then—as I told you.”

“Figures.” Ral scowled.

After what seemed an appropriate pause, he said cautiously, “Perhaps you would be willing to work together, at least long enough to find our way out of this repulsive dungeon? I’m afraid the monsters here present a challenge for a man alone, even if that man is Yoshimo.”

“I don’t see why n—”

“Out of the question,” interrupted the half-elf. She had been glaring silently at Ral ever since the translation of Minsc, her lips pursed as if to prevent an angry tirade from escaping them. Now she looked like she was spoiling for an argument.

“And exactly why is that, Jaheira?” Ral asked, in the tone of one straining to be polite.

“He is a stranger and thus a possible threat,” Jaheira said, “not to mention a liability if he is weak. It would be incredibly foolhardy to take on someone we know nothing about. Even you must recognize this, Ral.”

Let’s see—the redhead is Ral, the berserker is Minsc, and the half-elf is Jaheira. The Bhaalspawn.

“What’s your name?” he asked the pink-haired girl as Ral and Jaheira moved to a corner of the room, where they argued in passionate whispers. He couldn’t catch the exact words, but they did not sound friendly.

“Imoen,” the girl said. She winked at him. “I don’t mind being a maiden. Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve probably read every romance with swooning girls ever written.”

“Is that so?” he asked.

“Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye,” the girl said solemnly.

“Well.” What sort of response can one possibly make to that?

“We’d be glad to have your assistance, Yoshimo,” Ral called over to him. Her face was flushed and her eyes bright. Jaheira looked as if she had bitten something sour.

She has the look of one overruled. Apparently Ral is the leader of this little group, despite being younger than Jaheira and no doubt the lesser in power. Odd, but she does have a certain charisma.

“I am pleased to accompany you then.” He drew his katana. “Shall we go? I confess an eagerness to dispose of the beasts behind that door there. One of them left some nasty scratches on my wrist.” Which was perfectly true, though the injury had occurred when the mage guided him where he was to wait.

“What sort of beasts are these?” Jaheira asked.

“Little monsters of the nastiest sort, I fear.”

“Sounds fun,” Ral said. He wasn’t sure whether she was being sarcastic. “Let’s go.”

“We should find out what kind of creature to expect,” Jaheira began.

“You can do that,” Ral called over her shoulder. “I’m going in!”

“Wait for me!” Imoen yelled, running after her.

“Evil will recoil from Minsc’s boot and Boo! Go for the eyes!”

Ral threw open the door and was immediately swarmed by dozens of the squealing miniature dragons. She let loose a piercing battle cry and charged into the mess, Imoen and Minsc close behind her. Yoshimo raised his katana and ran to join the fray, Jaheira a split-second behind him. He did not miss the scowl on her face.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 10:42 AM

Ok, it doesn't say: Jaheira gets brutally killed off, so I guess I can still read realtively safe.

At this point, he didn’t need any motive to kill the Bhaalspawn other than that she was slow. Not that he would be able to kill her at first, of course. The mage had explained that she was too powerful to fight yet. That was why he would have to observe her first, to find weaknesses that the mage could exploit. But once the mage had weakened her—the kill was his. The mage had promised him that, in exchange for his oath.

Err. Why does Irenicus wants him to kill her? Has he got everything he wanted from her?

Now he knew his enemy. But the time was for words, not fighting, and his story would have to be quick and convincing. He made sure the broad grin was fixed on his face, and began.

Interesting, does he really sees them as enemies or is he trying to make it easier for himself when he betrays them eventually?

“But of course.” He bowed. “I would ask what such beautiful maidens are doing here, but I fear we share a common cause. Still, perhaps we can escape together, yes?”

It's an ill suited place to throw around flattery, Yoshi-san.

Yoshimo blinked. I don’t know how to begin to decipher that. “Actually, Boo, I referred to your female companions here.”

LOL! Meet the great Rashemi berserker, called Boo :)

“Boo is the partner of Minsc in the righteous duty of applying the strong bootprint of good upon the backside of evil!” Minsc explained.

Yoshimo coughed. “Is he now?” There was, in fact, a hamster perched on Minsc’s shoulder; he had overlooked it in the initial confusion.

Ah, something has escaped even Yoshi's keen eyes? No worries, he will remember Boo well from now on.

At last, something I was prepared for. He gave her a plausibly generic story of mysterious capture in the night. Best to keep it simple. The fewer questions, the better.

I always thought that his story he presented in the game was very unconvincing. :roll:

“He is a stranger and thus a possible threat,” Jaheira said, “not to mention a liability if he is weak. It would be incredibly foolhardy to take on someone we know nothing about. Even you must recognize this, Ral.”

Considering the place where they meet him, it is quite suspicious... and if one certain half-elf is very suspicious by nature...

Let’s see—the redhead is Ral, the berserker is Minsc, and the half-elf is Jaheira. The Bhaalspawn.

:wink: Jaheira The Bhaalspawn?... and ... he's suppose to kill the Bhaalspawn? ...think I'm going to faint... *faints*

“We’d be glad to have your assistance, Yoshimo,” Ral called over to him. Her face was flushed and her eyes bright. Jaheira looked as if she had bitten something sour.

A pickle, perhaps? :roll:

Ral threw open the door and was immediately swarmed by dozens of the squealing miniature dragons. She let loose a piercing battle cry and charged into the mess, Imoen and Minsc close behind her. Yoshimo raised his katana and ran to join the fray, Jaheira a split-second behind him. He did not miss the scowl on her face.

Wow, that was an enertaining episode... though, you've managed to scare me... :D

#3 Guest_Raven_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 03:01 PM

Ok, it doesn't say: Jaheira gets brutally killed off, so I guess I can still read realtively safe.

Don't worry, I plan to keep her around for some time.

Err. Why does Irenicus wants him to kill her? Has he got everything he wanted from her?

Irenicus doesn't really care. He wants her power, and once he's got that, Yoshi can do whatever he wants.

Interesting, does he really sees them as enemies or is he trying to make it easier for himself when he betrays them eventually?

Both, perhaps? :wink:

It's an ill suited place to throw around flattery, Yoshi-san.

So it is...as he will discover, the usual methods don't quite work here. :roll:

Yoshimo blinked. I don’t know how to begin to decipher that . “Actually, Boo, I referred to your female companions here.”

LOL! Meet the great Rashemi berserker, called Boo

Hero of rodents everywhere!

Ah, something has escaped even Yoshi's keen eyes? No worries, he will remember Boo well from now on.

I don't think he can help it. Hamsters will haunt his dreams...

At last, something I was prepared for . He gave her a plausibly generic story of mysterious capture in the night. Best to keep it simple. The fewer questions, the better.

I always thought that his story he presented in the game was very unconvincing.

Definitely. But on the other hand, it doesn't seem like Irenicus would WANT you to escape. That gives Yoshi some credibility.

Considering the place where they meet him, it is quite suspicious... and if one certain half-elf is very suspicious by nature...

Jaheira's just being her sensible self, but certain other people resent getting advice.

Jaheira The Bhaalspawn?... and ... he's suppose to kill the Bhaalspawn? ...think I'm going to faint... *faints*

:D Well, I've wanted to kill Jaheira a few times myself, but she's still standing...

A pickle, perhaps?

Lol...no doubt. :roll:

Wow, that was an enertaining episode... though, you've managed to scare me...

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you liked it. :)

#4 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:01 PM

Revenge for tamoko?

Suddenly the portal began to swirl, transforming from a clear blue pool to an angry whirlpool. He stepped back reflexively, and forced himself to sheathe his katana and stand in the most visible part of the room. It was a delicate balance he had to keep—not appearing threatening at first so he could avoid conflict, but still showing enough competence to be a useful party member.

But no-one was fooled anyway.

The redhead let out a strange sound at this point, as if she were choking. The pink-headed girl was covering her mouth with her hand and apparently holding her breath. The half-elf snorted.

:wink:

“I think that Boo thinks you are somewhat mixed-up in the mind,” she said seriously, but her eyes danced with hidden laughter. “’Ladies’ is a term generally given to noblewomen who can wear enormous pearl necklaces under two or three chins, while ‘maidens’ populate all the badly-written knight romances. Minsc and Boo, being Minsc and Boo,” here the pink-haired girl began to giggle uncontrollably, “could not tolerate such slander of adventuring companions.”

Yoshimo must be totally confused by now.

“Is your friend here named Minsc?” Yoshimo asked the redhead--Ral, apparently. He felt like he had forgotten his wits back in Athkatla.

Understandable.

But were is boo? Yoshimo cannot see him anywere.

That explains everything.

“Out of the question,” interrupted the half-elf. She had been glaring silently at Ral ever since the translation of Minsc, her lips pursed as if to prevent an angry tirade from escaping them. Now she looked like she was spoiling for an argument.

Enter jaheira. :roll:

Direct as always.

“What’s your name?” he asked the pink-haired girl as Ral and Jaheira moved to a corner of the room, where they argued in passionate whispers. He couldn’t catch the exact words, but they did not sound friendly.

“Imoen,” the girl said. She winked at him. “I don’t mind being a maiden. Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve probably read every romance with swooning girls ever written.”

I'm not surprised.

CHARGE! Oh yes.

Completely thoughtless, all of them.

Good story

Hunter

#5 Guest_Raven_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:55 PM

Revenge for tamoko?

Wait and see... :wink:

But no-one was fooled anyway.

They're a perceptive bunch--at least Boo is.

Yoshimo must be totally confused by now.

They aren't making it easy for him. :roll:

Understandable.

Minsc shows up and suddenly you're searching for something solid to hold onto.

But were is boo? Yoshimo cannot see him anywere.

Minsc: You cannot see Boo if he does not want to be seen. That is because he is a miniature giant space hamster.

That explains everything.

It's the S.E.P. phenomenon.

Enter jaheira.

With a bang! She also throws you off balance.

Direct as always.

That's what I like best about Jaheira--she says what she thinks.

I'm not surprised.

Neither was I. :roll: I want Imoen for my inner child.

CHARGE! Oh yes.

Announcer: And they're off...number thirteen taking the lead but number one is coming up on the inside!

Completely thoughtless, all of them.

Luckily, brawn can compensate for no brains.

Good story

Thanks! :D

#6 Weyoun

Posted 28 June 2003 - 10:32 PM

Hello again, and thank you to everybody who commented on the first chapter. I don't know why I stayed in the shadows when the light is full of so many nice people. :) Here's the next chapter, in which someone else gets to say his piece. (Special thank you to Laufey--I lifted one of Imoen's hobbies straight from Cards. :wink: I hope you can forgive me...)

Whuah! Should be fun. ;)

The last to appear was a half-elf with hard brown eyes and a face that was all points. She readied her weapon, a quarterstaff with a faint hum of magic to it, in his direction. Her teeth were bared in something akin to a snarl.

Here begins the slander? :)

For some reason this only made the pink-haired girl ram her fist harder against her mouth. The redhead gave her a hand up, took a deep breath and stepped forward.

Well, at least she's having fun, I suppose.... :)

It doesn't show, don't worry,. :(

“Sounds fun,” Ral said. He wasn’t sure whether she was being sarcastic. “Let’s go.”

LOL! Man of action, ey? :D

Great stuff',
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#7 Guest_Raven_*

Posted 29 June 2003 - 12:24 AM

Raven wrote:
Hello again, and thank you to everybody who commented on the first chapter. I don't know why I stayed in the shadows when the light is full of so many nice people. Here's the next chapter, in which someone else gets to say his piece. (Special thank you to Laufey--I lifted one of Imoen's hobbies straight from Cards. I hope you can forgive me...)

Whuah! Should be fun.

Nothing like insulting people who can't defend themselves. ;)

Sanity: Yeah, that would be because they're IMAGINARY.

Here begins the slander?

Nah, that's just Jaheira. :wink:

Well, at least she's having fun, I suppose....

She's trying hard to, anyway. I think she becomes more fun-loving as bad things happen to her. :) There's probably a seven-syllable word that describes that...

It doesn't show, don't worry,.

:)

LOL! Man of action, ey?

Ral: Woman of action, yes. That's a very good description. I'm not rash.
Imoen: Not at all.
Ral: Shut up.
Imoen: I was agreeing with you! Really!

Great stuff',
--Weyoun

Thank you! :(

#8 Laufey

Posted 30 June 2003 - 05:39 AM

Hello again, and thank you to everybody who commented on the first chapter. I don't know why I stayed in the shadows when the light is full of so many nice people. :) Here's the next chapter, in which someone else gets to say his piece. (Special thank you to Laufey--I lifted one of Imoen's hobbies straight from Cards. :( I hope you can forgive me...)

I'm flattered! :roll: It does suit her, doesn't it? :P

Patience, Yoshimo. Think of the sea. The sea. Vast and unchanging. Unknowable. Calm. Think of the tide washing up onto the shore. Leaving patterns in the sand. Someone walking on the beach, leaving footprints on the sand, kicking the sand and it flies in your face…!

No. All right, think of a rock then. Nice, solid rock. Throwing the rock!

Ah, I really liked the Yoshi POV. It felt very much like him.

Oh Yoshi... :(

“Boo does not understand the little man,” the giant boomed suddenly. “What is all this talk of ladies and maidens? Boo does not see any necklaces or dresses here, which is sad since he cannot use them to massage his tender mouth.”

LOL! Oh, that's a perfect Minsc. Massage his tender mouth indeed...

'

ROFL!

"No," the redhead began, but the berserker interrupted her.

That's a common reaction when meeting Minsc for the first time. :)

Aw, that's our sweet Imoen all right. :D
Rogues do it from behind.

#9 Guest_Raven_*

Posted 01 July 2003 - 09:05 PM

[quote]Hello again, and thank you to everybody who commented on the first chapter. I don't know why I stayed in the shadows when the light is full of so many nice people. Here's the next chapter, in which someone else gets to say his piece. (Special thank you to Laufey--I lifted one of Imoen's hobbies straight from Cards. I hope you can forgive me...) [/quote]

[quote]I'm flattered! It does suit her, doesn't it? [/quote]

Like a pink leather glove. :) Or anything pink, really...

[quote]Patience, Yoshimo. Think of the sea. The sea. Vast and unchanging. Unknowable. Calm. Think of the tide washing up onto the shore. Leaving patterns in the sand. Someone walking on the beach, leaving footprints on the sand , kicking the sand and it flies in your face…!

No. All right, think of a rock then. Nice, solid rock. Throwing the rock! [/quote]
[quote]Ah, I really liked the Yoshi POV. It felt very much like him. [/quote]

Thanks! :twisted:

[quote]At this point, he didn’t need any motive to kill the Bhaalspawn other than that she was slow. Not that he would be able to kill her at first, of course. The mage had explained that she was too powerful to fight yet. That was why he would have to observe her first, to find weaknesses that the mage could exploit. But once the mage had weakened her—the kill was his. The mage had promised him that, in exchange for his oath. [/quote]
[quote]Oh Yoshi... [/quote]

He doesn't know how much trouble he's gotten into. :)

[quote][quote]“But of course.” He bowed. “I would ask what such beautiful maidens are doing here, but I fear we share a common cause. Still, perhaps we can escape together, yes?”

“Boo does not understand the little man,” the giant boomed suddenly. “What is all this talk of ladies and maidens? Boo does not see any necklaces or dresses here, which is sad since he cannot use them to massage his tender mouth.” [/quote]
[quote]LOL! Oh, that's a perfect Minsc. Massage his tender mouth indeed... [/quote]

:roll: I always expect him to lecture me on the care and feeding of hamsters.

[quote]Yoshimo blinked. I don’t know how to begin to decipher that . “Actually, Boo, I referred to your female companions here.” [/quote]

[quote]ROFL! [/quote]

:)

[quote]"No," the redhead began, but the berserker interrupted her.

“Is your friend here named Minsc?” Yoshimo asked the redhead--Ral, apparently. He felt like he had forgotten his wits back in Athkatla. [/quote]
[quote]That's a common reaction when meeting Minsc for the first time. [/quote]

Somehow I've always known that he's sane, so the only one left is to wonder about myself...

[quote]“What’s your name?” he asked the pink-haired girl as Ral and Jaheira moved to a corner of the room, where they argued in passionate whispers. He couldn’t catch the exact words, but they did not sound friendly.

“Imoen,” the girl said. She winked at him. “I don’t mind being a maiden. Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve probably read every romance with swooning girls ever written.” [/quote]
[quote]Aw, that's our sweet Imoen all right. [/quote]

She makes everybody her friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com