About Blood 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:39 AM

After breakfast, which was a rather grim affair, with Montaron spending all the time over one slice of bread, Talek back in a sombre mood and Jaheira urging everyone to hurry. After breakfast they packed their belongings, paid their bills and left the Friendly Arm. The mood seemed to improve as they walked, as Montaron’s hangover grew easier, Jaheira was satisfied with their progress and Imoen talked a bit to Talek. A short distance south of the place where Talek and Imoen had run into Xzar and Montaron they encountered a small hobgoblin camp. After a short fight, as the hobgoblins had been arguing amongst themselves when the party struck, they travelled on. After a while, as Imoen was chatting with Jaheira, Montaron quickened his step and walked alongside Talek.

“The druid, she didn’t give ye too much trouble?” He asked.

“Nah.” Talek answered. “We had a chat about my father.”

“Hm.” Montaron uttered. “Just a warning boy, don’t ye let her and her husband out of yer sight. Druids be bad news. Ye never know how they fit ye in their fool ideas.”

“Oh, come on. Don’t tell me you’re gonna start too. She was telling me to distrust you, you’re telling me to distrust them...” Talek rested the unsheathed sword on his shoulder.

Montaron didn’t seem surprised by this. “Yeah well, she’s hiding something. Mark my words.”

“Montaron, my father told me I could trust them. He wrote them a letter all the way to bloody Athkatla so they’d come here. It’s just your hangover talking.”

“Oh yeah. Someone of YOUR blood has said they can be trusted. I feel really safe now.” The halfling said sarcastically. “Did he mention any friendly Balors we might ask directions from?”

Talek’s face fell for a moment. “My father... adopted me. I’m not related in blood to him.”

“Bah” Montaron spat “blood... If ye want to find a noble’s son by right of blood ye got to search in the whorehouses, the mansions are usually full with sons of carriage drivers and young handsome officers.” He laughed. “So it doesn’t mean much. Plenty of children be adopted without them or their adoptive father knowing it.”

Talek chuckled. “Yeah, I know. But what I mean is, Gorion is... was a lot smarter then I am. If he said they can be trusted...”

“Smart people can be fooled as well, believe ye me. Look lad, I’m not asking ye to cut them down here and now. Just keep an eye on them.” He looked behind his back. Jaheira was saying something to Khalid and then looked at them. “I know I will.”

“Heh, Jaheira’s keeping an eye on you two, you are keeping an eye on them and I have to keep an eye on all of you. What do I look like, a beholder?” Talek grinned.

Khalid suddenly walked on Talek’s other side. “S...sunny or not, it’s nice to be out of doors isn’t it?” There was only a slight stutter behaving his nervousness.

Talek turned to him with the same grin on his face. “So, who do you want me to keep an eye on?”

“Pardon?”

Montaron took his crossbow from his back. “I think ye best keep yer eye on the road. Someone’s coming.”

Montaron was right. A man in plate mail covered with cloth, with the blazon of a red first surrounded with flames, was walking towards them. As he approached they could see that he looked rather young, with a small blond moustache whose main purpose seemed to be to make him look older. He had his sword ready and was clearly walking towards them. His eyes showed that he was hiding his nervousness.

“Halt! Stop and lower your weapons.” He ordered as they met. His eyes were darting from one person to the other. Talek’s face, that had already lost it’s grin when he saw the emblem, now darkened even more. Montaron lowered his loaded crossbow, slightly. Khalid, who still had his sword sheathed, brought his hands up in a soothing gesture.

“W...We m...mean n...no h...h...”

“What do you want?” Talek interrupted.

“You are charged with highway robbery. Surrender your arms this instant.” The man seemed to push himself to utter the words to the six adventurers.

Talek’s face, which had been dark, now was lit with anger. “What in the nine hells...?” He clenched his sword harder.

“W...we’re n... no highwaymen, s...sir. J...just travelling to Nashkel to r...research the iron crisis.” Khalid offered as Talek was staring furiously at the Fist. The man’s eyes were fixed on Talek as well.

“Unlikely stories, armed as you are.”

“You would have us fight REAL bandits with harsh insults perhaps?” Jaheira spoke in an irritated tone.

“Innocent travellers do not walk around soaked with blood.” The man looked at Talek’s chainmail. He had struck an artery in one of the hobgoblins, and as they hadn’t passed another river his chainmail was indeed still sticky with congealed blood.

“That’s hobgoblin blood you self-important twit!” Talek snapped.

“I’ve only got your word for that.” The man’s eyes now were on Talek’s sword, now and then darting to Montaron, who still had his crossbow lowered but loaded.

“If you go a few miles north you’ll find their corpses there.” Jaheira answered.

“Lower your weapons and we’ll go check it out.”

“We have more important things to do then satisfying the paranoia of some foolish guard.” Jaheira was losing her patience as well.

“N...now d...dear, I’m sure we c...can come to a peaceful solution.” He threw smiles both to his wife and the Fist.

“My job is to keep these roads safe. I will not tolerate blood-soaked thugs to pass by.”

“What? You bloody bastard! My father was murdered three days ago and now you’re here accusing me. I ought to...” Talek bared his teeth.

“Lower your weapons. I will not say it again!” The voice of the young mercenary raised slightly on the last words.

Talek gave him a killer glare and raised his sword. “No.” His blade landed with a clang on the shield of the Fist.

Talek continued his offence, ignoring pleas from Khalid and Imoen to the two of them to calm down, and pleas from Montaron to get out of the way so he could get a clear shot with his crossbow. Jaheira was quiet, trying to get behind the man so she could beat him down with her quarterstaff, while Xzar had some magic missiles wound him .The Flaming Fist soldier was well-trained, and still moved fluently despite his wound, but he was about as inexperienced as Talek, and clearly intimidated by the ferociousness of the attacks. His sword and shield both had to be used almost continuously to avert blows.

And then Talek’s sword shattered like glass on the surface of the shield. Talek cursed, brought out of balance. The Fist raised his sword and Talek uselessly raised the broken heft of his ruined weapon. A crossbow bolt from Montaron passed harmlessly past the mercenary’s head. Imoen reached for an arrow she would never be able to fire in time It was Khalid who struck first, right under the arm where the breastplate didn’t protect, between the ribs of the Fist. A brief strangled sound came out of the Fist’s mouth as he tried to cry out in pain, followed by blood seeping out as he fell off Khalid’s blade into the grass.

Khalid stepped back. His breathing was quick. Jaheira rushed to the fallen man and put her hand on his throat.

Talek relaxed. “Thanks, Khalid. That one was bloody close. Damned rotten iron. Hey, are you all right?” Khalid’s face was pale as a sheet.

Jaheira closed the Fist’s eyes. “He’s dead.”

“T...this w...wasn’t some kind of s...slaver Jaheira. H...he just w...wanted to p... protect people from bandits and... and I...”

The druid grabbed the sides of her husband’s head and looked him in his eyes. “This is NOT your fault Khalid. He was young, foolish and desperate enough to prove his courage by means of challenging every somewhat suspicious group of armed people. Whatever his motives, he was as much a danger as the bandits, to himself and others. The ones who gave those duties to someone who was not ready for them are to blame. So don’t worry about it,” she smiled “or I’ll give you something to worry about.”

Khalid smiles weakly. “T...thank you, dear. I’ll try.”

“Hate to interrupt yer private time, but if we don’t want to have the young idiot’s buddies out for our blood we should get his corpse off the road.” Montaron said dryly. Jaheira looked at the halfling with dislike but nodded.

“Talek, you take his feet, I’ll take...”

“N...no dear. I’d like to do that.” Khalid interrupted. “It’s the least I can do for him.”

“Ye’re breaking my heart.” Montaron said sarcastically. “Now can we get on with it?”

Talek grabbed the dead man’s shoulder and lifted, straining under the weight as the weaker built half-elf groaned as he took the plate mailed boots. “Montaron... give him a break!” The halfling shrugged.

The party headed twenty meters off the road. Imoen looked around nervously. When they reached a suitably hidden spot they dropped the body with a thud. The dead hand that had clenched the sword now opened. Talek took it from the ground.

“At least I won’t have to use a short sword this time.” He sheathed it.

Jaheira looked at the body. “He seems about your size Talek. Do you think his breast plate would suit you?”

“Jaheira!” Imoen and Khalid exclaimed simultaneously. Talek blinked and looked with sparkling eyes at the plate mail.

“What are you looking at me like that for?” The druid responded with an irritated voice. “It’s not like weapons are a part of his body. We come in this world without a thread. Why do you insist we leave with the clothes we died in? Besides, in these times we can ill afford to leave iron equipment lie by the side of the road.”

“Is his spleen part of his body? I need a spleen and they’re so hard to get. They cost an arm and a leg. More even, arms and legs are rather cheap if you know where to shop.” Xzar giggled until a kick to the shins of Montaron stopped him.

“No necromancer, you will not touch a dead body while I’m around or I’ll make sure you become one!” Jaheira’s voice could be used to cut iron.

“Ahw” Xzar pouted. “Not even his nails? I’m running low on them and...”

“Silence your madman hafling, before I do it for you.” Jaheira snapped.

“Shut up fool.” Montaron grumbled at Xzar “use yer own nails.” He did glare at Jaheira as he said it though.

“Are you people still arguing?” Talek’s voice came from near the body. Talek had managed to get the breast plate on. It fitted adequately. After some more fiddling the bracers and leg guards were fitted as well. The gauntlets and the boots didn’t fit. Talek struck a pose. “Not bad eh?”

“It’s...kinda creepy. Wearing the plats while the guy’s body is still warm.” Imoen said.

Talek shrugged. “Heh, it’s heavier then chain, but I‘ll manage. What do you think Montaron?”

“I think ye’re acting like an Amnian Duchess with a new dress. But it’ll keep ye alive a little longer I guess.”

“And you Khalid?” He spoke to his back.

Khalid had been looking at the road, away from the others. He looked startled by Talek's question. “Oh...euh...fine I guess.” His voice sounded depressed. On the background Jaheira was speaking a druidic prayer over the fallen Fist.

“Hey, you alright?” Talek sounded concerned.

“S...sorry... I...I know t...there was no option but...” he paused. “I still wish I wouldn’t have had to kill him.”

Talek put his hand on his shoulder. “Hey, don’t worry about it. You’ll get over it.”

Khalid didn’t react.

“Besides, it looked like a very clean kill. He was dead in seconds.”

Nothing.

“And you’ll get used to it.”

“I don’t WANT to get used to it.” Khalid exclaimed. He didn’t stutter. “If I can kill without a second thought, what will happen to me? I’ll become as much as a murderer as the people I’m supposed to stop. Or worse... What if I start to enjoy it. If I become some kind of monster.” Talek’s face froze. His eyes suddenly looked hurt and his hand pulled back as if burned.

Imoen saw the exchange and quickly put one hand on each man’s shoulder. “Hey, stop worrying Khalid. Whatever happens, we’ll be here for each other, right?” She looked at Talek as she said it.

“Y...yes, of course.” Khalid’s outburst seemed to have calmed him down. Talek’s face thawed as well, though the hurt look lingered.

“Right. Well, let’s move on then. Perhaps they’ll have some smith in Beregrost to get me some nice gauntlets with this plate mail. Let’s go”

#2 Guest_argan_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 10:05 AM

Good chapter...damned, I hated that dude in the game.

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 10:21 AM

“Hm.” Montaron uttered. “Just a warning boy, don’t ye let her and her husband out of yer sight. Druids be bad news. Ye never know how they fit ye in their fool ideas.”

Shut up Monty. Gotta hand it to Jaheira - she's not someone who will be forcefully pressing her ideas and beliefs on others. At least, I think so.

“Heh, Jaheira’s keeping an eye on you two, you are keeping an eye on them and I have to keep an eye on all of you. What do I look like, a beholder?” Talek grinned.

Yep, what a friendly bunch they are...

“Halt! Stop and lower your weapons.” He ordered as they met. His eyes were darting from one person to the other. Talek’s face, that had already lost it’s grin when he saw the emblem, now darkened even more. Montaron lowered his loaded crossbow, slightly. Khalid, who still had his sword sheathed, brought his hands up in a soothing gesture.

Seems like one of those Flaming Idiots.

Talek’s face, which had been dark, now was lit with anger. “What in the nine hells...?” He clenched his sword harder.

“W...we’re n... no highwaymen, s...sir. J...just travelling to Nashkel to r...research the iron crisis.” Khalid offered as Talek was staring furiously at the Fist. The man’s eyes were fixed on Talek as well.

Oh, shut up you two and let Jaheira handle him!

“We have more important things to do then satisfying the paranoia of some foolish guard.” Jaheira was losing her patience as well.

Ok, I take back what I said previously. If she is losing patience, then it spells baaaad for the Fist guy.

Talek gave him a killer glare and raised his sword. “No.” His blade landed with a clang on the shield of the Fist.

Would he attack them if they just ignored him and scontinue to stroll by?

“T...this w...wasn’t some kind of s...slaver Jaheira. H...he just w...wanted to p... protect people from bandits and... and I...”

Yep, his heart really is not in it... poor guy...

The druid grabbed the sides of her husband’s head and looked him in his eyes. “This is NOT your fault Khalid. He was young, foolish and desperate enough to prove his courage by means of challenging every somewhat suspicious group of armed people. Whatever his motives, he was as much a danger as the bandits, to himself and others. The ones who gave those duties to someone who was not ready for them are to blame. So don’t worry about it,” she smiled “or I’ll give you something to worry about.”

Khalid smiles weakly. “T...thank you, dear. I’ll try.”

Aww, they are a sweet couple :D

The party headed twenty meters off the road. Imoen looked around nervously. When they reached a suitably hidden spot they dropped the body with a thud. The dead hand that had clenched the sword now opened. Talek took it from the ground.

Seems Talek will need to find yourself some magical weaponry... or switch to clubs or staffs...

“What are you looking at me like that for?” The druid responded with an irritated voice. “It’s not like weapons are a part of his body. We come in this world without a thread. Why do you insist we leave with the clothes we died in? Besides, in these times we can ill afford to leave iron equipment lie by the side of the road.”

Gotta love her practicality! :wink:

“Is his spleen part of his body? I need a spleen and they’re so hard to get. They cost an arm and a leg. More even, arms and legs are rather cheap if you know where to shop.” Xzar giggled until a kick to the shins of Montaron stopped him.

Sure, take his spleen, Xzar... he won't mind.

“No necromancer, you will not touch a dead body while I’m around or I’ll make sure you become one!” Jaheira’s voice could be used to cut iron.

But Jaheira just might...

“It’s...kinda creepy. Wearing the plats while the guy’s body is still warm.” Imoen said.

Nah, the adventurer's do that all the time...

Khalid had been looking at the road, away from the others. He looked startled by Talek's question. “Oh...euh...fine I guess.” His voice sounded depressed. On the background Jaheira was speaking a druidic prayer over the fallen Fist.

Call Lightning to get rid of the body, no doubt.

“I don’t WANT to get used to it.” Khalid exclaimed. He didn’t stutter. “If I can kill without a second thought, what will happen to me? I’ll become as much as a murderer as the people I’m supposed to stop. Or worse... What if I start to enjoy it. If I become some kind of monster.” Talek’s face froze. His eyes suddenly looked hurt and his hand pulled back as if burned.

Whoa. That's pretty... weird. I mean it just strikes me that you picture him so unsuited for the guardians role that Gorion expected them to fill. What he says is something that I personally sympathize it, I hate violence, but would he be able to survive in the cruel FR setting and even become a Harper if it would be so hard to him?

It's a pretty unique take on Khalid... wonder where it will get him, don't think that very far though :roll:

“Right. Well, let’s move on then. Perhaps they’ll have some smith in Beregrost to get me some nice gauntlets with this plate mail. Let’s go”

'Beregost'... and the Smithy there is really useful too :roll:

#4 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 04:44 PM

Nothing more than ususal.

“Nah.” Talek answered. “We had a chat about my father.”

He is not one that should be let out of sight himself.

“Oh yeah. Someone of YOUR blood has said they can be trusted. I feel really safe now.” The halfling said sarcastically. “Did he mention any friendly Balors we might ask directions from?”

Well, some of the demons in hell were friendly enough.

“Bah” Montaron spat “blood... If ye want to find a noble’s son by right of blood ye got to search in the whorehouses, the mansions are usually full with sons of carriage drivers and young handsome officers.” He laughed. “So it doesn’t mean much. Plenty of children be adopted without them or their adoptive father knowing it.”

:roll:

Talek chuckled. “Yeah, I know. But what I mean is, Gorion is... was a lot smarter then I am. If he said they can be trusted...”

Got a point there. :roll:

Khalid suddenly walked on Talek’s other side. “S...sunny or not, it’s nice to be out of doors isn’t it?” There was only a slight stutter behaving his nervousness.

Huh?

“You are charged with highway robbery. Surrender your arms this instant.” The man seemed to push himself to utter the words to the six adventurers.

The rock-head!

Oh, he'll get there as well some day.

“I’ve only got your word for that.” The man’s eyes now were on Talek’s sword, now and then darting to Montaron, who still had his crossbow lowered but loaded.

He's a bit thick-headed ain't he?

:wink: here we go again.

Yeah, he can't help that he was stupid. Poor man.

Jaheira looked at the body. “He seems about your size Talek. Do you think his breast plate would suit you?”

Rather cold if you ask me.

“Are you people still arguing?” Talek’s voice came from near the body. Talek had managed to get the breast plate on. It fitted adequately. After some more fiddling the bracers and leg guards were fitted as well. The gauntlets and the boots didn’t fit. Talek struck a pose. “Not bad eh?”

Very creepy.

“S...sorry... I...I know t...there was no option but...” he paused. “I still wish I wouldn’t have had to kill him.”

Talek put his hand on his shoulder. “Hey, don’t worry about it. You’ll get over it.”

He's not one to brood on things is he?

Good story

Hunter

#5 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:09 PM

After breakfast, which was a rather grim affair, with Montaron spending all the time over one slice of bread, Talek back in a sombre mood and Jaheira urging everyone to hurry. After breakfast they packed their belongings, paid their bills and left the Friendly Arm.

These two sentences seem to have got a bit garbled :wink:

Poor Talek - he's not going to know what to think, with Monty and Jaheira giving him opposite advice.

“Oh, come on. Don’t tell me you’re gonna start too. She was telling me to distrust you, you’re telling me to distrust them...” Talek rested the unsheathed sword on his shoulder.

Well, at least he knows he can trust Immy.

Montaron didn’t seem surprised by this. “Yeah well, she’s hiding something. Mark my words.”

True, but so's Monty.

That's probably true enough, and it should make Talek feel better.

“You would have us fight REAL bandits with harsh insults perhaps?” Jaheira spoke in an irritated tone.

This encounter doesn't sound like it's going to go too well.

And then Talek’s sword shattered like glass on the surface of the shield. Talek cursed, brought out of balance. The Fist raised his sword and Talek uselessly raised the broken heft of his ruined weapon. A crossbow bolt from Montaron passed harmlessly past the mercenary’s head. Imoen reached for an arrow she would never be able to fire in time It was Khalid who struck first, right under the arm where the breastplate didn’t protect, between the ribs of the Fist. A brief strangled sound came out of the Fist’s mouth as he tried to cry out in pain, followed by blood seeping out as he fell off Khalid’s blade into the grass.

Talek seems to be good at breaking swords. :)

I know your Khalid and Jaheira are younger and less experienced than most versions of them, but I'm still finding it hard to accept Khalid being like this - certainly I wouldn't expect him to enjoy killing, but I'd expect him to be used to it. I guess you have him like this to show the contrast with Talek, though.

“Jaheira!” Imoen and Khalid exclaimed simultaneously. Talek blinked and looked with sparkling eyes at the plate mail.

Come on, it's only practical. He doesn't need it any more...

Think you meant 'by Montaron' :roll: . I love the way you write Xzar.

I see he doesn't have any qualms about wearing the dead guy's stuff, then.

Talek shrugged. “Heh, it’s heavier then chain, but I‘ll manage. What do you think Montaron?”

“I think ye’re acting like an Amnian Duchess with a new dress. But it’ll keep ye alive a little longer I guess.”

LOL! Let him show off a bit if it makes him happy :roll:

Won't get far as a fighter if he doesn't get used to killing, though. And probably not as a Harper, either.

There's a pretty decent smith in Beregost as I recall.

Nice chapter :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com