Bitter Grey Ashes p 48, The Legend of the Silver Wyrm

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 25 June 2003 - 06:47 PM

Gods of Faerun only know what came over me yesterday - but here is another part of Ashes, albeit a short one. The legend is extracted from the Empires of the Shining Sea assessory and modified to fit the Ashes. As always - any input on spelling, typos, plot , etc etc is welcome. I hope you will like this bit.

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE, continued.

9 -10 of Marpenoth 1371, Year of the Unstrung Harp

I stretched out my hand, curious enough to risk touching the bell as a sudden desire to swipe away the annoying layer of oxide and mildew, and see the remainder of the inscription took root in my mind… and dropped it. Something stopped me from moving my fingers any further and crossing the last few inches between them and the green, flaking surface of the bell. It was not because I sensed a trap or a magical barrier, rather, a warning was whispered in my mind loudly enough to stop me from finishing the deed. Perhaps, I was only too aware of the consequences of my past rash decisions, and the survival instinct was finally kicking in.

“Good boy,” a loud, confident, and extremely annoying female voice chirruped behind my back. If there was one creature in Perch, who could make a statement in a tone ringing with that infernal confidence, and faked superiority, it was Olphara Sixthtoe.

“Never touch something that does not belong to you, unless you are absolutely sure it is not going to bite your fingers off,” the halfling matron continued smugly. She was still wearing the same virulently bright shawl over her shoulders. Today, she was also leaning on a gnarled, crooked staff, of the size entirely too big for her height, and it gave her somewhat sinister and witchy look. I wondered how I did not hear her approach. That stick of hers must have made quite a loud noise striking the stone pavement.

“Surely you would not object if I satisfy my curiosity, by clearing away the dirt?” I offered politely. “The inscription was put on the bell so that everybody could read it. Why would you want to make a secret of it?”

“We should hang the bell under the arch and sound it at the time of imminent danger, so that the Guardian would hear it and be ready for what is coming,” she said coolly. “Not that this had helped him at the end. The hin were keen enough to watch for his archenemy and rival, who had never come. The humans came in his stead. There was a traitor among the hin, who had led the Qysar and his men to the cave by the goat trails around the village. And so, when the bell was rung they were already upon the Guardian in numbers greater than stars in the sky, or fish in the water, and anything that these mountains had seen in a thousand years. It was a terrible battle and many of them were slain, but so was the Guardian, and afterwards the Qysar claimed the treasure. So the legend says. That was the end of Rhimnasarl the Shining, the Great Silver Wyrm, and his allied hin tribe. They were all either killed or taken prisoner, and sold into slavery on the Calimport slave markets. My great grandmother was one of these who were enslaved. What else do you want to know, mageling?”

“Archenemy of his?” I raised an eyebrow quizzically.

“Rhimnasarl had had a rival among the dragon-kin - the Blue Wyrm Iryklagathra, the Sharpfangs. That was who the hin were supposed to look for, in return for the Shining One’s protection. But when Sharpfangs had finally arrived to challenge Rhimnasarl to a duel, it was already too late – the silver dragon was dead, his headless body rotting at the bottom of the gorge, and his skull mounted on the wall in the Qysar’s great throne room. For centuries afterwards, Sharpfangs has been haunting these mountains in impotent rage, as his long-anticipated prey was virtually snatched out of his jaws, or so he thought. But about two hundred years ago he finally withdrew back to the endless spans of sand that cover the Great Calim Desert.” The halfling’s tanned, wrinkled face creased in a wary smile as she continued. “The blue dragons are not really made for the life in the mountains, and the old lizard was getting old, and was complaining that his very bones ache in these unfair climes.” Olphara shifted from feet to feet, shaking her head, and her multitude of tiny braids, stringed with lapis lazuli twinkled on the cold wind. I wondered if she disagreed with the dragon. She herself seemed inseparable from these mountains.

“I can certainly commiserate with him. My own bones are not doing any better,” I muttered derisively. “Let’s just hope he will stay there for the time being, shall we?”

“Do not speak of these things lightly, young elf! Sharpfangs was the horror of the hin and human settlements across the entire western and northern side of the Marching Mountains. He must be over two thousand years old by now, too old even for a dragon. That was why he ceased his barrage of terror, and went to ground, probably to die in his sleep somewhere deep under the cover of warm sands.”

“Fascinating,” I replied with polite interest. “So, all these quaint local names: the Dragon Perch, the Qysar’s Hunt, even the Silver Ghost - they actually have historical roots? But if you say all the halflings were either killed or enslaved...”

“This village was an empty ruin for over eight hundred years,” she answered incisively, as if explaining it to a small child. “Ever since Rhimnasarl the Shining was slain by the hand of the Qysar Shoon the Fourth, about a thousand years ago. The Shoon Empire had fallen, and the sands had been blown into a high dune over the grave of the last Qysar, but nobody dared to come and live here while the Sharpfangs was still looking for his revenge.”

“But your people are here now,” I noted neutrally. “And the bell has a new rope. Are you telling me it is actually a thousand years old?”

“Are you daft?” Olphara asked crisply. “I told you yesterday the Perch is a hundred years old, not a thousand. We rebuilt it from scratch. Of course, the bell was made to resemble the one from the legend! The superstition is old, but it still has some protection value. No giant tribe would dare to storm the Rhimnasarl’s Perch. His Yawning Cavern is still up there, at the mountain’s top. You can see it from here in good weather. Too bad we have such thick influx of fog today. The view is quite stunning.”

“Are you telling me it is empty now?” I asked suspiciously. “And the rope is just for show? Then why would not you let me sound the bell?”

“It is a bad luck to bother the dragon idly,” Olphara winked at me, draping the fringed end of the bright blue shawl over her left shoulder, “even the dead one. And don’t you have a task to attend to? I thought you were helping our talented bard to entertain the children tonight. Everybody is so excited about it. My dear husband is a great healer, and quite a decent mage, but he lacks fantasy. Oh, don’t take me wrong,” she added hastily noticing my ironic stare. “He would protect the village to his last breath, and would probably beat you if you challenge him to a magical duel! But he is not really interested in the art of illusion, and that bright and sparkly side of magic that makes it so much fun.” Her eyes suddenly acquired a dreamy expression. “Now, there was a human mage once, who was traveling in these parts. He could pull flowers out of his hat, and conjure magical beasts out of thin air... I would love to see an act like this again before I die,” the halfling woman finished on an oddly sadder note, and nodded at me, looking almost like Chyil in his more melancholic moments.

I realized - she was much older than she looked. It probably took a lot of strength to maintain the self-assured, energetic facade at her age. I gave her a quick glance, and she returned it with a smile most gentle and forgiving, again reminding me of the old priest from Amkethran, and his most annoyingly intrusive ways.

“I guess I should be going now,” I muttered somewhat uncertainly, “I bet Omwo is looking for me already.”

“He most certainly is,” Olphara nodded her quick agreement, “And you would be wise to leave our poor bell alone, and join him. Would you be so kind to lead the way, young one?”

I did so reluctantly, and she followed, striking loudly with the end of her stick at the stone pavement.

“Now, I know you are probably as old as I am, mageling. You elven folk are renowned for your longitude. But it is also known that years do not necessarily mean maturity, and you look like you can use a bit of motherly advice. So, humor this old woman, and pretend that you are listening to me, even if you are not. It is not going to hurt you to listen, once in a while. The girl that travels in your company, how do you feel about her?”

The walk back to her house took much longer than I had anticipated.

#2 Laufey

Posted 25 June 2003 - 09:27 PM

I stretched my hand, curious enough to risk touching the bell as a sudden desire to swipe away the annoying layer of oxide and mildew, and see the remainder of the inscription took root in my mind… and dropped it. Something stopped me from moving my fingers any further and crossing the last few inches between them and the green, flaking surface of the bell. It was not because I sensed a trap or a magical barrier, rather, a warning was whispered in my mind loudly enough to stop me from finishing the deed. Perhaps, I was only too aware of the consequences of my past rash decisions, and the survival instinct was finally kicking in.

Finally, I should say. :? He's as bad as Edwin about this sort of thing.

“Never touch something that does not belong to you, unless you are absolutely sure it is not going to bite your fingers off,” the halfling matron continued smugly. She was still wearing the same virulently bright shawl over her shoulders. Today, she was also leaning on a gnarled, crooked staff, of the size not appropriate for her height, and it gave her somewhat sinister and witchy look. I wondered, how I did not hear her approach. That stick of hers must have made quite a loud noise striking the stone pavement.

Bet Jon-Jon loves being lectured by her. :D

“We should hang the bell under the arch and sound it at the time of imminent danger, so that the Guardian would hear it and be ready for what is coming,” she said coolly. “Not that this had helped him at the end. The hin were keen enough to watch for his archenemy and rival, who had never come. The humans came in his stead. There was a traitor among the hin, who had led the Qysar and his men to the cave by the goat trails around the village. And so, when the bell was rung they were already upon the Guardian in numbers greater than stars in the sky, or fish in the water, and anything that these mountains had seen in a thousand years. It was a terrible battle and many of them were slain, but so was the Guardian, and afterwards the Qysar claimed the treasure. So the legend says. That was the end of Rhimnasarl the Shining, the Great Silver Wyrm, and his allied hin tribe. They were all either killed or taken prisoner, and sold into slavery on the Calimport slave markets. My grand-grand mother was one of these who were enslaved. What else do you want to know, mageling?”

“Archenemy of his?” I raised an eyebrow quizzically.

“Rhimnasarl had had a rival among the dragon-kin - the Blue Wyrm Iryklagathra, the Sharpfangs. That was who the hin were supposed to look for, in return for the Shining One’s protection. But when Sharpfangs had finally arrived to challenge Rhimnasarl to a duel, it was already too late – the silver dragon was dead, his headless body rotting at the bottom of the gorge, and his skull mounted on the wall in the Qysar’s, great throne room. For centuries afterwards, Sharpfangs has been haunting these mountains in impotent rage, as his long-anticipated prey was virtually snatched out of his jaws, or so he thought. But about two hundred years ago he finally withdrew back to the endless spans of sand that cover the Great Calim Desert.” The halfling’s tanned, wrinkled face creased in a wary smile as she continued. “The blue dragons are not really made for the life in the mountains, and the old lizard was getting old, and was complaining that his very bones ache in these unfair climes.” Olphara shifted from feet to feet, shaking her head, and her multitude of tiny braids, stringed with lapis lazuli twinkled on the cold wind. I wondered if she disagreed with the dragon. She herself seemed inseparable from these mountains.

Ah, an epic and tragic story! Liked it a lot. And I have a suspicioun that Sharpfangs isn't dead just yet, and that our arrogant mage will run into him...

I realized - she was much older than she looked. It probably took a lot of strength to maintain the self-assured, energetic facade at her age. I gave her a quick glance, and she returned it with a smile most gentle and forgiving, again reminding me of the old priest from Amkethran, and his most annoyingly intrusive ways.

Yes, I see. :wink: It bothers him when people try to be nice to him, and when they seem to get too close to him. It's very sad.

“I guess I would be going now,” I muttered somewhat uncertainly, “I bet Omwo is looking for me already.”

'should be going'

“Now, I know you are probably as old as I am, mageling. You, elven folk, are renowned for your longitude. But it is also known that years do not necessarily mean maturity, and you look like you can use a bit of motherly advice. So, humor the old woman, and pretend that you are listening to me, even if you are not. It is not going to hurt you to listen, once in a while. The girl that travels in your company, how do you feel about her?”

LOL! Oh, I want to hear that talk! :(
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Weyoun

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:29 PM

I stretched my hand, curious enough to risk touching the bell as a sudden desire to swipe away the annoying layer of oxide and mildew, and see the remainder of the inscription took root in my mind… and dropped it. Something stopped me from moving my fingers any further and crossing the last few inches between them and the green, flaking surface of the bell. It was not because I sensed a trap or a magical barrier, rather, a warning was whispered in my mind loudly enough to stop me from finishing the deed. Perhaps, I was only too aware of the consequences of my past rash decisions, and the survival instinct was finally kicking in.

Oh, come on! I want to know what it says! :D

“We should hang the bell under the arch and sound it at the time of imminent danger, so that the Guardian would hear it and be ready for what is coming,” she said coolly. “Not that this had helped him at the end. The hin were keen enough to watch for his archenemy and rival, who had never come. The humans came in his stead. There was a traitor among the hin, who had led the Qysar and his men to the cave by the goat trails around the village. And so, when the bell was rung they were already upon the Guardian in numbers greater than stars in the sky, or fish in the water, and anything that these mountains had seen in a thousand years. It was a terrible battle and many of them were slain, but so was the Guardian, and afterwards the Qysar claimed the treasure. So the legend says. That was the end of Rhimnasarl the Shining, the Great Silver Wyrm, and his allied hin tribe. They were all either killed or taken prisoner, and sold into slavery on the Calimport slave markets. My grand-grand mother was one of these who were enslaved. What else do you want to know, mageling?”

Ah, nice backstory...

“Fascinating,” I replied with polite interest. “So, all these quaint local names: the Dragon Perch, the Qysar’s Hunt, even the Silver Ghost - they actually have historical roots? But if you say all the halflings were either killed or enslaved...”

“This village was an empty ruin for over eight hundred years,” she answered incisively, as if explaining it to a small child. “Ever since Rhimnasarl the Shining was slain by the hand of the Qysar Shoon the Fourth, about a thousand years ago. The Shoon Empire had fallen, and the sands had been blown into a high dune over the grave of the last Qysar, but nobody dared to come and live here while the Sharpfangs was still looking for his revenge.”

“But your people are here now,” I noted neutrally. “And the bell has a new rope. Are you telling me it is actually a thousand years old?”

Something tells me Jonny isn't buying the story much. :?

I did so reluctantly, and she followed, striking loudly with the end of her stick at the stone pavement.

“Now, I know you are probably as old as I am, mageling. You, elven folk, are renowned for your longitude. But it is also known that years do not necessarily mean maturity, and you look like you can use a bit of motherly advice. So, humor the old woman, and pretend that you are listening to me, even if you are not. It is not going to hurt you to listen, once in a while. The girl that travels in your company, how do you feel about her?”

Great story. Loved it,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#4 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 12:27 AM

Finally, I should say. He's as bad as Edwin about this sort of thing.

Gulp. Don't give me any ideas ... I just thought of Jonny and the Nether scroll situation. Now, would he look exactly like Bodhi, only blond version? :?

Bet Jon-Jon loves being lectured by her.

As much as having a toothache I suspect. :wink:

Ah, an epic and tragic story! Liked it a lot. And I have a suspicioun that Sharpfangs isn't dead just yet, and that our arrogant mage will run into him...

Bah! Why is it everybody always suspects me of something, eh? Evil grin. I ain't answering. And Jon-Jon *is* arrogant. :)

Yes, I see. It bothers him when people try to be nice to him, and when they seem to get too close to him. It's very sad.

It is. I am afraid I am giving him some personal traits as well ...

'should be going'

Thanks!

LOL! Oh, I want to hear that talk!

Actually - so do I. But I am afraid this was something he would not write even in a personal journal. :)

Thanks for reading and commenting!

#5 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 12:31 AM

Oh, come on! I want to know what it says!

The old lady would say it. :?

Ah, nice backstory...

I developed it somewhat - added the hin and the covenant. But this story is present in one of the FR assessories. :wink:

Something tells me Jonny isn't buying the story much.

Of course he is paranoid - which is understandable. :)

Great story. Loved it,

Thanks for stopping by and reading. :)

#6 Arcalian

Posted 26 June 2003 - 02:39 AM

DoroteaDoroteaDorotea figaro! Maginifico-o-o-o!

>“Never touch something that does not belong to you, unless you are absolutely sure it is not going to bite your fingers off,” the halfling matron continued smugly. She was still wearing the same virulently bright shawl over her shoulders. Today, she was also leaning on a gnarled, crooked staff, of the size not appropriate for her height, and it gave her somewhat sinister and witchy look. I wondered, how I did not hear her approach. That stick of hers must have made quite a loud noise striking the stone pavement.<

You were absorbed in the mystic phrase, Jon.

No comma neccesary after "I wondered"

>“We should hang the bell under the arch and sound it at the time of imminent danger, so that the Guardian would hear it and be ready for what is coming,” she said coolly. “Not that this had helped him at the end. The hin were keen enough to watch for his archenemy and rival, who had never come. The humans came in his stead. There was a traitor among the hin, who had led the Qysar and his men to the cave by the goat trails around the village. And so, when the bell was rung they were already upon the Guardian in numbers greater than stars in the sky, or fish in the water, and anything that these mountains had seen in a thousand years. It was a terrible battle and many of them were slain, but so was the Guardian, and afterwards the Qysar claimed the treasure. So the legend says. That was the end of Rhimnasarl the Shining, the Great Silver Wyrm, and his allied hin tribe. They were all either killed or taken prisoner, and sold into slavery on the Calimport slave markets. My grand-grand mother was one of these who were enslaved. What else do you want to know, mageling?”<

The traitor hin angle of the story reminds me of that little jerk in the Halfling Town in BG1 who let the Ogre magi and his Kobolds in.

>I realized - she was much older than she looked. It probably took a lot of strength to maintain the self-assured, energetic facade at her age. I gave her a quick glance, and she returned it with a smile most gentle and forgiving, again reminding me of the old priest from Amkethran, and his most annoyingly intrusive ways.<

Ah. :wink:

>“Now, I know you are probably as old as I am, mageling. You, elven folk, are renowned for your longitude. But it is also known that years do not necessarily mean maturity, and you look like you can use a bit of motherly advice. So, humor the old woman, and pretend that you are listening to me, even if you are not. It is not going to hurt you to listen, once in a while. The girl that travels in your company, how do you feel about her?”

The walk back to her house took much longer than I had anticipated.<

I bet!

I hope that your muse "comes over you" more often!

Story of a girl without a Name!!
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#7 Guest_Rose of Jericho_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 03:10 AM

[quote name="Dorotea"]
[quote]
“Never touch something that does not belong to you, unless you are absolutely sure it is not going to bite your fingers off,” the halfling matron continued smugly.
[/quote]

:wink: Good wisdom to live by. My personal favorite is, "No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head." (Evil Overlord rule No. 22)

[quote]
[/quote]

Wow, great story, that. So explains the town's name.

[quote]
“It is a bad luck to bother the dragon idly,” Olphara winked at me, draping the fringed end of the bright blue shawl over her left shoulder, “even the dead one. And don’t you have a task to attend to? I thought you were helping our talented bard to entertain the children tonight. Everybody is so excited about it. My dear husband is a great healer, and quite a decent mage, but he lacks fantasy. Oh, don’t take me wrong,” she added hastily noticing my ironic stare. “He would protect the village to his last breath, and would probably beat you if you challenge him to a magical duel! But he is not really interested in the art of illusion, and that bright and sparkly side of magic that makes it so much fun.” Her eyes suddenly acquired a dreamy expression. “Now, there was a human mage once, who was traveling in these parts. He could pull flowers out of his hat, and conjure magical beasts out of thin air... I would love to see an act like this again before I die,” the halfling woman finished on an oddly sadder note, and nodded at me, looking almost like Chyil in his more melancholic moments.
[/quote]

:) I can hear the wistful tone in her voice there.

[quote]
[/quote]

I'd remove the commas between You and elven folk and are, "You elven folk are renowned ..."

[quote]
The walk back to her house took much longer than I had anticipated.[/quote]

LOL, I bet! I'm pretty interested in that answer myself!

Rose of Jericho

#8 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 04:27 AM

You were absorbed in the mystic phrase, Jon.

No comma neccesary after "I wondered"

Thanks ! And I guuess he was, but the lady was also careful not to frighten him.

The traitor hin angle of the story reminds me of that little jerk in the Halfling Town in BG1 who let the Ogre magi and his Kobolds in.

Yes, I guess... and the Realms halflings are not as charismatic as Tolkien's.

Ah.

Sigh. He is quite scarred, as you noted once.

The walk back to her house took much longer than I had anticipated.<

I bet!

Females. :)

I hope that your muse "comes over you" more often!

She is a fickle creature. :wink:

Thanks for commenting!

#9 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 04:32 AM

Good wisdom to live by. My personal favorite is, "No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head." (Evil Overlord rule No. 22)

Something Jonny forgets every now and then. I think he should post something like this in his office. :)

Wow, great story, that. So explains the town's name.

And yeah - it has a dragon in it. :) You were right!

I can hear the wistful tone in her voice there.

Now I myself wonder who it was - I hope not Elmo! :wink:

I'd remove the commas between You and elven folk and are, "You elven folk are renowned ..."

Alright.

LOL, I bet! I'm pretty interested in that answer myself!

I shall try to provide an answer eventually.

Thanks for reading!

#10 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 02:14 PM

“Good boy,” a loud, confident, and extremely annoying female voice chirruped behind my back. If there was one creature in Perch, who could make a statement in a tone ringing with that infernal confidence, and faked superiority, it was Olphara Sixthtoe.

LOL! I love these halflings putting Jonny in his place ;)

“I can certainly commiserate with him. My own bones are not doing any better,” I muttered derisively. “Let’s just hope he will stay there for the time being, shall we?”

LOL! I don't think the 'derisively' is needed, though. I have a feeling Jon may yet earn a spanking in this one...

“It is a bad luck to bother the dragon idly,” Olphara winked at me, draping the fringed end of the bright blue shawl over her left shoulder, “even the dead one. And don’t you have a task to attend to? I thought you were helping our talented bard to entertain the children tonight. Everybody is so excited about it. My dear husband is a great healer, and quite a decent mage, but he lacks fantasy. Oh, don’t take me wrong,” she added hastily noticing my ironic stare. “He would protect the village to his last breath, and would probably beat you if you challenge him to a magical duel!

groaaaan - don't tell him that!

I'll say again that I love them being so unimpressed by Jon-Jon.

MUHAHAHA!

#11 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 03:22 PM

should probably be 'I stretched out my hand'.

Wow - Jon showing common sense! I guess the part of his subconsciousness that does remember what happened to him has learned to be a bit cautious.

“Never touch something that does not belong to you, unless you are absolutely sure it is not going to bite your fingers off,” the halfling matron continued smugly. She was still wearing the same virulently bright shawl over her shoulders. Today, she was also leaning on a gnarled, crooked staff, of the size not appropriate for her height, and it gave her somewhat sinister and witchy look. I wondered, how I did not hear her approach. That stick of hers must have made quite a loud noise striking the stone pavement.

no comma is needed after 'I wondered'.

“Surely, you would not object if I satisfy my curiosity, by clearing away the dirt?” I offered politely. “The inscription was put on the bell so that everybody could read it. Why would you want to make a secret of it?”

and no comma is needed after 'surely'.

Think you meant 'great grandmother'. So the guardian she's speaking about was a dragon?

“Are you daft?” Olphara asked crisply. “I told you yesterday the Perch is a hundred years old, not a thousand. We rebuilt it from scratch. Of course, the bell was made to resemble the one from the legend! The superstition is old, but it still has some protection value. No giant tribe would dare to storm the Rhimnasarl’s Perch. His Yawning Cavern is still up there, at the mountain’s top. You can see it from here in good weather. Too bad we have such thick influx of fog today. The view is quite stunning.”

Ah, so that's the cave that Jon saw. Olphara should tell this legend to Omwo instead of Jon - he'd probably find it really interesting, whereas Jon just seems to want to pick holes in it.

Unfortunately Jon probably sees pulling flowers out of his hat as being a trivial use of magic and a waste of time. Hope he puts on a good show though.

LOL! Poor Jon - doubt he agrees that he needs motherly advice :)

'humour this old woman'.

Nice chapter ;)

#12 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 04:35 PM

“Surely, you would not object if I satisfy my curiosity, by clearing away the dirt?” I offered politely. “The inscription was put on the bell so that everybody could read it. Why would you want to make a secret of it?”

His logic is impecable as ever.

Silver dragon's are incredibly sucky as guardians... think Adalon... but why does the bell seems to be so important if it does not serve its purpose no more? ;)

“Rhimnasarl had had a rival among the dragon-kin - the Blue Wyrm Iryklagathra, the Sharpfangs. That was who the hin were supposed to look for, in return for the Shining One’s protection. But when Sharpfangs had finally arrived to challenge Rhimnasarl to a duel, it was already too late – the silver dragon was dead, his headless body rotting at the bottom of the gorge, and his skull mounted on the wall in the Qysar’s, great throne room. For centuries afterwards, Sharpfangs has been haunting these mountains in impotent rage, as his long-anticipated prey was virtually snatched out of his jaws, or so he thought. But about two hundred years ago he finally withdrew back to the endless spans of sand that cover the Great Calim Desert.” The halfling’s tanned, wrinkled face creased in a wary smile as she continued. “The blue dragons are not really made for the life in the mountains, and the old lizard was getting old, and was complaining that his very bones ache in these unfair climes.” Olphara shifted from feet to feet, shaking her head, and her multitude of tiny braids, stringed with lapis lazuli twinkled on the cold wind. I wondered if she disagreed with the dragon. She herself seemed inseparable from these mountains.

Don't think that there is a need for comma after 'mounted on the wall in the Qysar’s'

“Do not speak of these things lightly, young elf! Sharpfangs was the horror of the hin and human settlements across the entire western and northern side of the Marching Mountains. He must be over two thousand years old by now, too old even for a dragon. That was why he ceased his barrage of terror, and went to ground, probably to die in his sleep somewhere deep under the cover of warm sands.”

I won't believe that he is dead, until I have seen his dead body. :)

Don't believe her, Jon-Jon! That *is* the same old bell, it has got to be! Go on, ring it... you know you want to... :)

Don't you just love to embarass poor Jon-Jon?

I found this chapter to be quite uncharacteristically light and amusing, probably because Jon did not spent time in self-reflection... :)

#13 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 07:27 PM

LOL! I love these halflings putting Jonny in his place

He is sort of asking for it, I guess. ;)

LOL! I don't think the 'derisively' is needed, though. I have a feeling Jon may yet earn a spanking in this one...

Now, where is one of them 'special' smileys when you need one.

groaaaan - don't tell him that!

Yeah - I guess this can cause some explosion of angst, buthe was too preoccupied with the puzzle this time around. :)

I'll say again that I love them being so unimpressed by Jon-Jon.

Olphara is a very wise lady despite her appearance.

MUHAHAHA!

Glad you liked it. :)

Thanks for commenting!

#14 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 07:36 PM

[quote]should probably be 'I stretched out my hand'.

[/quote]

You are right - it feels incomplete. I was a bit hasty with this part.

[quote]Wow - Jon showing common sense! I guess the part of his subconsciousness that does remember what happened to him has learned to be a bit cautious.
[/quote]

For how long though? Ah well, his trademark is doing reckless 'evil overlord' moves. :)

And thank you for corrections again.

[quote]So the guardian she's speaking about was a dragon?

[/quote]

YEs - it was sort of a mutually beneficial agreement - the village was there to provide additional hundred or so pairs of eyes, and the dragon's presence was enough to keep away pesky giants. ;)

[quote]Ah, so that's the cave that Jon saw. Olphara should tell this legend to Omwo instead of Jon - he'd probably find it really interesting, whereas Jon just seems to want to pick holes in it.

[/quote]

I bet she did already. It is in Jonny's character though to question everything he sees. And maybe this time he is right to do so ...

[quote]Unfortunately Jon probably sees pulling flowers out of his hat as being a trivial use of magic and a waste of time. Hope he puts on a good show though.

[/quote]

Well, he likes to put up a good show ( at least in my impression) MAny of his personal spells are a bit flashy. And just rememeber his leather strap and gold buckets suit - it practically screams vanity. :)

[quote]LOL! Poor Jon - doubt he agrees that he needs motherly advice

'humour this old woman'.

[/quote]

Thanks, and no - he does not appreciate it at all. At least not here. :D

And thanks for commenting. :)[/quote]

#15 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 07:46 PM

His logic is impecable as ever.

Well, it is one of the few things he did not lose.

Silver dragon's are incredibly sucky as guardians... think Adalon... but why does the bell seems to be so important if it does not serve its purpose no more?

Heh. You are right in more than one way ... what is it about Adalon that makes me wish I could pull her tail?

Don't think that there is a need for comma after 'mounted on the wall in the Qysar’s'

I am a comma addict, true. :wink:

I won't believe that he is dead, until I have seen his dead body.

With dragon - i won't believe it until I saw the bones!

Don't believe her, Jon-Jon! That *is* the same old bell, it has got to be! Go on, ring it... you know you want to...

Oh, it will ring ... alright. In the next few parts. :roll: After I return from vacation.

Don't you just love to embarass poor Jon-Jon?

I found this chapter to be quite uncharacteristically light and amusing, probably because Jon did not spent time in self-reflection...

I do lve to embarass him, true. But he is asking for it being what he is.

Maybe I was in a good mood, and thus Jonny was not his usual melancholic self. :roll:

Thanks for reading and commenting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com