Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 1.5.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 24 June 2003 - 10:47 AM

Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 1.5.

I wake up as the rays of the rising sun burn my eyelids; my back feels very stiff from lying on the floor. No blankets for murderers and betrayers… sour grin flashes on my face. I slowly drag myself to my feet and look across the room. How did I end up here? I think as I crawl closer to Jaheira’s bed. She’s sound asleep… two full days since our escape; she hasn’t been doing anything else… Maybe it is the effect of the rising sun shining on her face, but it seems that she looks healthier. Her skin seems to be returning to its normal coppery colour. I notice something that fills my heart with hope… unless they got rats here she has finally touched the food. Must ask Pugney about the rats, I make a mental note.

I leave her room and head downstairs in somewhat better spirits – must tell Pugney to bring her something for breakfast. As I sit at the table and chew a piece of bread, yesterday’s events spring back into my mind. Seems like my new companions are still sleeping – they had to share the room for the night. I wonder what Jaheira will say, when she wakes up and finds out what my new companions look like… particularly that wide-eyed Avariel elf with her worshipping stares… but, then again I should not worry – Jaheira already has enough reasons to kill me, I ponder.

I felt very uncomfortable when that Avariel girl was looking at me… with such innocent looks… I do not know why… maybe… maybe she just reminds of what I have lost… my own innocence…

The visit to circus yesterday was a good one – it turned out that the resident gnome illusionist had put on a solo act… sadly he killed a few people, so we had to pacify him. I remember Nalia’s weeping after her magic killed the mad gnome – she is unaccustomed to bloodshed. Yet. Well, lucky for us, I always take a sword with me when going to circus – you just never know…

As a reward we got to keep the gnome’s belongings – some of the magical items were quite valuable. Nalia’s nimble fingers grabbed gnome’s pouch, which contained a nice amount of gold – that will solve the immediate problems.

The second part of the reward was still sleeping in Nalia’s room – another resident mad gnome was quite eager to get rid of his niece, and insisted that we take her with us on our adventures. Well, since she can heal wounds, we had to take her… at least until Jaheira can…

Funny, when I think of it – the gnome’s name was Quayle, I wonder… I am quite sure that I met a gnome with such name back at Baldur’s Gate – but then the gnomes all look alike and most of them are named Quayle as well… err… what was I thinking about?

The plan for today includes going to Government District to try and extract some information from local authorities on Imoen’s possible whereabouts. Yoshimo explains me how to get there and to whom I should speak with – he will be busy running errands for one of the Shadow Thieves guildmasters and won’t be joining us. He’s quite an operator, I admit.

Nalia will continue her search for help and since Government District is not a likely place to find mercenaries, she will not be joining me. That leaves the Avariel – and I would prefer to go alone actually, but she is insisting on going with me.

“How can I get a taste for adventuring by staying here?” she is upset at my suggestion.

“Eerie, trust me – it will be boring, there will be no adventures,” suddenly an idea comes over me “if you so badly want an adventure, you should go with Nalia. I’m sure she will visit some awful dumps and is bound to get in some kind of mix-up.”

Now it is Nalia’s turn to scowl…

“The name is Aerie, by the way,” the blond elf is still upset “all right, I’ll go with Nalia then, if you insist…”

For someone who has based his impressions on Athkatla judging by the slums and promenade, Government district is a welcome change. At least some peace of greenery as well… I feel terribly misplaced among the nobles that are in abundance here – indeed my leather armor has seen better days. A couple of people even try to squeeze a gold coin in my hand… it figures – maybe I could make a fortune as a beggar? The government building is easy to find, as I enter the guard gives me a very harsh and warning glare.

Cowled Wizards, Magistrates, Chief Inspectors, tax collectors and various other screws in the great mechanism of bureaucracy – none of them make any sense and are unable or unwilling to provide me with any information about Imoen. Most likely it is because I cannot afford to offer them any sufficient bribe.

I have spent more than three hours waiting and talking with this bunch of ignorant and corrupt morons, yet I have to return without any success. I have acquired some information on possible jobs, but they all require leaving Athkatla, which is not an option at this moment.

Before I return to the tavern, I decide to take a little walk and enjoy the scenery. The fresh air and relative quiet is very relaxing – at least for a while… until I stumble upon an annoying little gnome who is trying to sell me some weird crossbow ammunition. I desperately try to get rid of him and before I manage to do that a local authority pounces on us and accuses gnome in merchandising without a license. Of course, this disgusting Trax person wants me to testify that this gnome has indeed tried to sell me illegal goods. Obviosly, if I hadn’t visited the government building prior to this meeting, I would have turned the gnome in… Now I choose the “lesser annoyance” and tell Trax that we have only been discussing the weather…

Jan Jakobar Jansen (annoying name for an annoying gnome, it figures) has the nerve to insist that since I have ruined his flourishing mobile vegetable peddling business, his well-being is now my responsibility. Great, another weird companion… I think, why do I attract such characters? Nevertheless, his crossbow using skills, fast mouth, knowledge of magic and lock picking could prove useful. So far I have only seen proof for the fast mouth… however, I have developed ability to hide inside my head and completely ignore the surroundings. Must be one of my Bhaal powers… I am using it every time the voice beside me starts speaking a line “This reminds me of…” or “Have I ever told you about…” Jaheira will like this guy, I chuckle at this thought…

We are about to head back to the Mithrest Inn when I spot a large crowd gathering around something that looks like a stake. A man, judging from clothes – a priest of some sort is making quite an angry and emotional proclamation. I cannot overhear him with all this tweeting of birds and Jan’s constant babbling, so I signal Jan to shut his yap and move closer to the crowd.

Indeed, someone is about to be burned on the stake. We are close enough to hear the priest shouting words “foul drow” and I see the guards tying someone to the stake. Judging from the slim, lanky figure, it’s a woman, and likely a beautiful one at that. I cannot be sure about it because the hood, which the guards are about to uncover, hides her face.

“Viconia,” I whisper in total astonishment as the hood is lifted “what mess have you gotten yourself into?”

“You know this woman, my Worship?” Jan has spotted my surprise.

“Jan, I want you to go to the Mithrest Inn immediately,” I say “wait for me there. I’ll join you in no-time.”

“Are you sure, my Worship? It seems like a great opportunity to test my trusty crossbow, won’t you agree?”

“Jan, you will be doing me a much greater service by staying out of it,” I snap at him “now go!”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com