Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 1.3.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 23 June 2003 - 10:15 PM

Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 1.3.

I hate porridge, I think, looking at the bowl in front of me. Yoshimo had insisted that I join him for breakfast, and I am starting to regret it. Meanwhile he has already finished his meal and decides that now is the right time for some conversation.

“So,” he asks with a grin “where did you leave that elven lass?”

“Lass? Err… you would really do well to remember her name: Jaheira. She’s… feeling a little sick… I don’t have to remind you that yesterday was quite tough on us all,” I would love to avoid this sensitive subject.

“Very well. Then, perhaps, we can get down to the business? Your goal eventually is to rescue that pink-haired girl, right? I believe I have information that you will find useful,” Yoshimo is unshakeable.

What follows next is a ten minutes long report on Athkatla’s political structure and the power groups of influence in the city. After all of this information, I feel that my own brain has turned into something like porridge… at least I have derived these basic details (I really should write them on a peace of paper):

I - Cowled Wizards – have kidnapped Imoen

II - Shadow Thieves – local thieves guild, one of the two dominating guilds in Athkatla

III - Galen Baily – I mentioned running into this guy, Yoshimo recognized him as one of the Shadow Thieves. Galen (and thus the Shadow Thieves) offered me to help find Imoen – Yoshimo suggests to find Galen, he also notes that the help from Shadow Thieves is likely to cost a lot of gold.

IV - Imoen – the pink-haired girl I want to rescue (see detail I)

V - Yoshimo – he supplied this information (see the man across the table)

“Life in this city is very expensive,” I grumble “and any help is likely to cost me a lot.”

“My advice is to look for some employment,” he nods “Someone is always looking for armed mercenaries in Copper Coronet.”

I thought he was going to suggest finding someone rich and kill him… then finding someone richer and kill him too… I think.

“Ok. Let’s go to that Copper Coronet then,” I give a sigh “by the way, how far is it from here?” I try to look as worriless as possible.

“Close. It’s not even an hour’s walk away from here. The lass will be fine here, don’t you worry,” he grins as I blush slightly.

Funny guy, this Yoshimo… that grin of his – slightly sarcastic, slightly sardonic… cannot see through it, I ponder.

Half an hour later we leave the tavern with our destination being the slums. I tell Yoshimo that we ran into Galen in the slums yesterday and he is not a bit surprised. “Likely one of his many hideouts is in slums,” he points out quite logically “perhaps we will get lucky and find him.”

We pass the circus tent and I make a mental note to come and see the show tonight – I am not prepared for another evening in solitude, alone with my thoughts. We don’t talk much on the road to the Copper Coronet, though from time to time I feel that Yoshimo is giving me an appraising stare. Just like a cobra looking at a bunny rabbit, I realize. Since we met him in the dungeon, his presence makes me slightly uncomfortable – I don’t feel I can trust him.

Finally we reach Copper Coronet. Well, I was not expecting a high-class establishment in the slums, but still it is depressing. This place is filled with shady characters, drunken louts, courtesans and even a wanna-be paladin… but the young woman that is storming towards us would stand out in every crowd. Her blue robe, red hair and dark green eyes make for a very interesting combination indeed. I could swear she belongs to the upper class, but what would she be doing in slums… My thoughts are interrupted as she addresses me. “You there,” she speaks loudly and commandingly “you look like a mercenary type… are you for hire? Nobody here would help me… even after I’ve done so much for you all…”

Ah, the good, old “better-than-thee” attitude shines through, it would be a miracle if someone here would actually decide to help her, I think as I reply politely “Why indeed, I am looking for a way to earn a coin… but before you even start telling me that I am obliged to help YOU after all you have done for ME, I need to know what kind of job we are talking about.”

Her face turns red for a moment… goes well with her hair… “All right,” she composes herself “let’s sit and chat for a moment then… I guess my tone was a bit too harsh… it has been almost a week now since I had to flee my keep, I have spent the whole week looking for someone to help. The people here… they always are so eager to get a coin from me, but when I ask for a favour in return, what do I get?”

Naivety in person, I conclude. “Dear lady, err… ”

“Huh? Oh… Nalia… Nalia d’Arnise.”

“Well, Nalia… let us make a deal – first you will tell exactly what you want from me, and based on what I hear, I’ll make a decision, is that clear? By the way, my name is Theodur and this here is Yoshimo.”

She frowns a little, but then proceeds with her tale. Actually it is a pretty sad tale. No wonder that she has been so jumpy, I start to feel sympathy for her. Her keep is invaded by mean kobolds and goblins, and she offers a significant amount of coin, if we are to clear them out. Her father’s fate is unknown, for he was trapped in the keep and his well-being concerns her. I would gladly help her on this laughably easy assignment, but there is no way that I am leaving Athkatla right now. Especially when the trip could last for a couple of days – I feel heavy guilt for leaving Jaheira alone for a couple of hours…

“Excuse me, but I have question,” Nalia interrupts my thoughts “does your, err… mercenary group consists only of two people?”

Now there’s one question that I would like to avoid…

“Err… its actually quite complicated… in fact I have no idea whether I can count even on you, Yoshimo?”

“Your cause is a worthy one and the road to success is bound to be a lengthy one… I am sure there will be many benefits for me if I remain in your company,” Yoshimo is smiling.

“Ok, that settles it, but… there still is a problem. Another compan… a friend of mine is… ill. You see… we have had a really hard time recently. My group was kidnapped by an evil wizard… no doubt, you’ve heard about recent events in Promenade…”

Nalia nods, as I continue “Well, we escaped from the dungeon just before the part of Promenade collapsed in the explosion. Shortly afterwards, one of my friends was taken away by the Cowled Wizards and another… well, I have to wait in Athkatla until she gets better… We have been subject to torturing… something I do not want to remember.”

“Not to mention that her husband’s death must have been quite a shock for her,” Yoshimo is as helpful as always.

That bastard! I feel my blood boiling at this last comment… even though I admit the reasons for such reaction reluctantly. Probably a part of me still nurses the faint hope that Jaheira might recover and forgive me, that there is a future for us both… even if the current situation looks unpromising. However, if my new companions would know about Khalid’s recent death, that would create a new moral obstacle for us to overcome… I can imagine the accusing stares of the others. Too many people knew about Khalid’s death already… Perhaps it was all part of Khalid’s plan – that I would lose her through his death?

With this depressing revelation in mind, I turn to address Nalia “I’ll be honest with you, Nalia. I’d love to help you, but I will not leave Athkatla without Jaheira. And it could take days until she is ready to travel again…”

“I… I understand,” she is upset, but tries to hide it “still… you are my best bet at the moment. I have an idea, a proposition… where are you staying?”

“At the Mithrest Inn.”

“Would… would you mind if I join you there? I mean… I need a place to stay, and it’s a respectable establishment. And if your friend gets better, we can leave immediately and you won’t have to waste valuable time looking for me all over the city. Meanwhile, I will keep looking for other mercenaries… no offence, but at least I will have a clear conscience that I’ve tried everything… I’ll check back on your situation every now and again… it would just be convenient if we stay in the same place…”

“That’s an excellent idea, Nalia! Of course, you’re welcome to join us,” considering what she is going through, I am surprised that she is able to think clearly.

“Now, if there is nothing else to do here, I suggest we return to the Mithrest,” I turn to Yoshimo.

“See that knight there,” he points at a man in a shiny suit of armor “I overheard, that he is looking for an adventure. Perhaps he will be willing to join our little group… another sword arm would be useful…”

“That’s Anomen Delryn,” Nalia interrupts him “he’s a warrior priest of Helm and a total nincompoop. Every day he asks me what am I doing in this cesspool of corruption… what a moron!”

I cannot stop myself from laughing and Nalia joins me… only Yoshimo retains a straight face.

I like this girl indeed, I think looking at Nalia… her company will be much more enjoyable than that of an arrogant wannabe paladin. Indeed, all I need is a goody-goody priest, lecturing me on the benefits of holy matrimony!

I leave the Coronet in much better spirits than I should, considering the circumstances…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com