Oh meet me by the lane
When am I going to see
That pretty face again

Meet me on the road
Meet me where I sais
Blame it all upon
A rush of blood to the head

Lyrics by Coldplay “Rush Of Blood To The Head”

I felt so tired. I did not know exactly how many hours we were fighting through the madman’s dungeon, but it felt like days… my body was aching and covered with multiple wounds. Yet the most unpleasant surprise awaited us upon the exit – just when I thought the worst was behind. My precious Imoen - taken from me by some crazed bunch of mages, together with our captor.

My beloved… Jaheira… probably losing her mind – combination of recent events affected her severely. I had no idea what happened to her during the time of our capture – when I found her in the cage, she was looking miserably… No words were spoken between us from then on. And when we came across Khalid’s body… she was still suffering from the heavy guilt for cheating on him… It was too hard of a blow to take.

And Imoen’s comforting “Khalid was dead when our captor started…doing those things to him!” I think that even though her mind was clouded with pain she understood that I was to blame… I never intended to kill him, but what was I supposed to do? Allow him to slay me like a cattle? After all, Jaheira and I loved each other and he had already lost.

I remember reaching out my hand to comfort her… she snapped around and swung at me with her scimitar. The deep gash in my shoulder was still bleeding heavily.

I had been put through quite terrible experiments, a painful torture, but it was nothing comparing to seeing Jaheira in the state she was right now. For an hour now I had followed her around this city, keeping a safe distance. She was too unpredictable - I had to admit that I was afraid. She was limping heavily, her clothing dirty and torn, hair dishevelled… still she marched on. At first I thought she had a destination, but when we passed a large tent, probably a circus for the third time, I started to doubt that. I was hoping that she would finally tire and collapse, so I could take her to some inn.

That strange chap we met in the dungeon, Yoshido, follows me for some time. He tells me that by his reckoning we are in Athkatla. I find that hard to believe, but then I had never been in Athkatla before… I tell him not to follow me. He points out that I will need companions to rescue Imoen, I tell him that I would probably spend the night in some of the nearby inns and that he should locate me tomorrow, if interested. Somehow, I do not like him. Bounty hunter. I hate bounty hunters.

Where the hell is she going? It seems we have entered the city slums. Oh, great. If she collapses here, where in the Abyss am I going to find an inn here?

Another funny looking chap comes up to me and wants something. He is saying that he can help me find Imoen. Imoen? Who’s Imoen…? I see Jaheira rounding the corner and disappearing from my sight. I tell this Gailen fellow to locate me some other day, when I will have more time to listen. I run around the corner and with relief see her familiar figure just ahead of me. I feel that she is running out of steam as I see her tripping over some beggar and almost falling on the ground. She scrambles to her feet and slowly resumes walking. With a sense of relief I notice that she is heading back towards the circus tent. I have no idea what will happen afterwards, but never, not for a moment I consider leaving her to wander around. She is all I have, and even if she hates me right now – I am all she has…

I look around the huge marketplace… that Yoshiko told me that it is called “Waukeen’s Promenade”… I try to spot an inn somewhere, but I don’t see any. For a short moment I have left Jaheira out of my sight and when I look in the direction I saw her last, she is not there anymore. She is probably in the thick crowd, but still my heart jumps like crazy as I run towards her. Theodur, you moronic idiot… I think as I trip over a body on the ground… She has finally passed out, completely exhausted. I ask around for the closest tavern, and some peasant shows me the direction. “There’s Mithrest Inn, but you don’t look the type that could afford it’s prices,” he adds.

True, I look awful and have very little amount of coin, still my main problem lies in how to get this passed out woman to the inn. She is not too heavy and it would not be the first time I carry her around in my arms… but I am wounded and exhausted and she is wearing heavy splint armor. I lift her in a seating position and remove her armor, the crowd is naturally amused and I get to hear some interesting comments. Luckily, she does not realize what is happening around her… Well, the shield has got to go as well, and the scimitar… definitely… the blade is still covered with my blood. I gather her in my arms and carry her to the inn, accompanied by the jokes from the crowd…

It took a lot of convincing, but in the end the gold coins did their job and we have a couple of rooms to rest in and lick our wounds. I decided to take separate rooms… after all she is quite capable of killing me for what I’ve done. I actually would not resist, a thought crosses my mind. Still, better not ask for it… While she is sleeping, I take my time to examine her body for injuries… I cannot find anything major, seems like it is her mind that has been taking the damage, and that I cannot heal. She is covered with dust and blood, and I organize that a maid will clean her up – it should be pretty safe while she is in this deep slumber. I realize that my own injuries need healing, so I gather what coin I have and head to the Temple of Ilmateri, which is conveniently right beside the inn. The amount of gold I have will buy us the rooms for two more days, provided we don’t eat… I think it is time to sell some of our magical stuff like wands and scrolls; neither Jaheira nor I can use them. As I think about this, a sharp pain runs through my heart… how can you think like that - so cool and calculative, when she is lying in a comatose slumber… will she ever be able to recover? Will her eyes glow again, looking at me?

I shake off these thoughts, and head out of the tavern… I’ll mock myself later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com