Prequel: The Bond part 2

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 13 December 2002 - 01:22 AM

The Bond pt 2

It was the anniversary of “that” night. The great battle that had left her pack dead. H’kira sat in the moonlight, long black hair whipping in the wind. With agility born of the Wolf she leapt from her perch. Ghost would be waiting; they were holding a memorial for the lost. The great white alpha and his pack had arrived at the wood six months past and brought a small amount of joy back into H’kira’s broken life. She ran for the cavern, the tomb she had built for her former pack.

Ghost howled as his packsister trotted into view. She had given him all he had, this wood she held so dear to her hear, she had found him lone wolves and shaped them into a pack. All she asked was the remembrance once a year and her cabin near the clearing. And here he stood, the white orphan cub, now an alpha, and a packleader.

H’kira walked forward, the first in their odd little procession; she placed a single rose in front of the tomb. Ghost and the pack followed…soon the ground in front of the memorial was strewn with flowers.

The pack sat in a circle and howled at the end of the ceremony *we will never forget*

H’kira threw an arm about Ghost’s white-furred shoulders.

*How does the pack far, my brother? *

*Well, packsister, though Specter wishes to hunt with you*

*Someday your son will make a fine Hunter*

*That he will*

Ghost and Raksha’s first litter were nearly grown. They were fine cubs. H’kira had remained in the wood for two weeks after their birth to help care for them. The litter’s runt, the odd blue-gray cubling known as Specter, had become particularly attached to the half-elven werewolf. She was priming him to become the packs Hunter and had taken over his training. Specter trotted up to her, pale eyes sparkling mischievously.

*Kira! Will you hunt with me? *

*I’d be glad to join you, Specter*

H’kira shifted wolf, the great silver alpha. She trotted off into the wood, Specter in tow.

H’kira watched her young charge; practicing a hunting technique she had shown him only a few days ago. The Hunter-in-training crept like a cat towards his prey, so silently the Silver could hardly hear him. Specter glanced back in her direction, she nodded. In a burst of speed the young wolf leapt onto the back of the deer, ivory fangs flashing as he made the kill.

*Fine hunt, Specter, you show improvement*

*Thanks Kira…would you mind carrying this back for me? *

*Sure thing*

H’kira shifted half-elven and threw the deer about her shoulders. She and Specter trotted back to the pack. She howled a greeting as they entered the clearing.

*Ghost, your son has made a fine kill*

The white wolf looked pleased. H’kira set the deer down in the midst of yelping packmembers. Specter managed a wolf grin, the young one was ecstatic.

*I must go Ghost*

*May the moonlight guide you packsister*

*May your night be peaceful, packbrother*

H’kira turned, shifted wolf, and ran through the forest. Her world, her place, her way to escape.

Gorion was worried, he had long since come to terms with his daughters lycanthropy, but since the death of her pack, she had ceased revealing how she truly felt. She simply held it inside, only a blind man couldn’t see the pain in her eyes, it grew every day. He feared that someday her pain would destroy her.
Once he had asked her of that day…of what had happened in that clearing. Her amber eyes had flared yellow and she had told him that it was not a matter that concerned him and that he would regret asking again. It was not like her to be that way, and yet she had been in inner turmoil for a year. He could not help her…he didn’t know who could.

Something strange was going on, H’kira decided. She turned and bounded back towards the clearing. She would stay the night with her pack. The forest looked especially beautiful in the moonlight, bathed in silver. She scented deer, rabbit, and the spring where her pack drank. She dodged and ran through the trees. Ghost was waiting for her when she leapt into the clearing.

*You have decided to spend the night, packsister? *

*Something is strange in the wood, I remain here for the night*

Specter was lazing about on the ground, gnawing happily on a deer bone. His blood stained muzzle and contented sigh indicated that he had gotten the Hunter’s portion. A step closer to the position he desired, to becoming the Hunter of his pack.

H’kira slept in front of the tomb, in half-elf form. Becoming the Wolf on a regular basis had gotten her used to sleeping on the forest floor. She awoke in the early hours of the morning to find that a large number of small cublings had decided that she was comfortable sleeping material. Specter laughed as she extricated herself from the furry pile.

*Ha ha, very funny, Specter, did you tell them to do that? *

*Me? Well I never, how could you think I would do such a thing packsister? Have you so little faith*

The effect of his speech was ruined by the smirk plastered across his furry face.

*Wretch, * she sent as she ruffled his ears.

A huge black-furred wolf staggered into the clearing, streaming blood from multiple whip lashes on his back. Directing his gaze at H’kira, he mind-spoke.

*In Mielikki’s name, help me packsister*

The great beast shifted into a dark-elven man and collapsed. H’kira leant him against a tree and seeing movement in the wood beyond set Specter to guarding him. A harsh bark from her sent the cubs running for the protection of their dens. H’kira’s eyes began to glow and unearthly yellow.

A drow priestess stalked into the clearing, bearing a whip that was dripping blood. She moved unnaturally fast.

*She is hunting me* the fallen man sent.

*He speaks the truth bond, and I sense no reason for her hunt* her own wolf put in.

The half-elf bared her teeth at the other women, sporting canine fangs.

The priestess laughed, “Rahasein, have you found yourself a protector? I’ll enjoy killing her as well,” then she noticed Specter and made the biggest mistake of her life, “And then I’ll kill all your little dogs too, they’ll make a fine carpet.”

Not again, never again, H’kira leapt for the priestess. The whip lashed her face twice before she wrested it from the drow’s hands. The cuts didn’t regenerate, it must have been silver studded. The drow drew a long sword and began to slash at her.

The werewolf’s hands became huge claws. The dark-elf lost ground quickly, H’kira mid-shifted, halfway between woman and wolf. The drow fought for her life, but she was no match for this terrible silver-furred death. As a last resort the priestess shot off a crossbow, the bolt drove into H’kira’s thigh, she stumbled. Amber eyes blazing, she leapt. The last thing the priestess saw was ivory fangs.

H’kira shifted half-elf, stumbled and fell. She hissed in pain as she pulled the bolt out of her leg, not too deep, not silver either, it’d heal eventually. The wolf blocked her pain; she stood and slowly walked over to the dark elven man. She extended a hand.

*Come, packbrother, you may stay at my cabin while you heal*

The man was so badly beaten, he could hardly stand. She half carried him to the cabin, Damn she bet this was just great for her injured leg. She managed to set him in the bed.

*Specter*

*Yes, packsister*

*I am injured, can you watch him while I sleep?*

*Yes, I guard him with my life, Kira*

H’kira collapsed onto a couch and was soon sleeping quite soundly.

Specter watched the male sleep, the other was odd looking, even for a two-legged one. He had grown used to H’kira’s two-legged form, but the colors on this one were remarkable. He would ponder this a while. He glanced to his packsister, she was hurt, and he didn’t like it. She had fought bravely, though the strange half-wolf she had become had frightened him. She looked that way when she was in the middle of shifting to the Wolf, but she had never held it that long. Eventually the male beside him stirred.

*Are you all right, packbrother? * Specter inquired.

*What…Where am I? *

*H’kira helped you to the cabin to rest and heal*

*Where is she? *

*Sleeping on the…she called it the couch*

*Oh*

*I am Specter, odd one*

*Greetings, Specter, I am Rahas*

Specter bounded over to H’kira and nudged her until she awoke.

H’kira slowly got to her feet. The Wolf had healed most of her leg wound during the night, it hurt, but not as much as before, though she’d be limping for a while. The cuts on her face stung, she was luck she hadn’t lost an eye. She brushed her hair out of her face and stretched. The dark-elven man was awake. She limped over to him. He was sitting up, the back of his torn tunic stiff with blood. She held out a hand, and spoke.

“I am H’kira.”

He shook it, “Rahasein, I go by Rahas.”

“Your back?” she questioned.

He winced as she lightly touched his back.

“Torn all to hell, but I’ll survive.”

The half-elf nodded, “I’ll get some healing salve of some sort, I’ll be back as soon as possible.” With that she left the cabin.

*She seems to trust easily, * Rahas sent.

Specter replied, *you are a packbrother, why should she not trust you? *

*I am a dark-elf, Specter, we are not trusted*

*You may be dark, but H’kira sees the heart, not the skin*
Specter and Rahas talked for quite a while.

Gorion approached his foster-daugher, she had her back to him and was gathering healing potions and salves. She placed them in a pack and turned to face him, two long cuts marred her face.

“What happened?” he asked.

“I’d rather not talk about it.”

“If that is you wish, though I’m always here if you want to talk.”

She nodded, slung the pack over her shoulder, and jogged back toward the forest.

Rahas’ back healed well as did H’kira’s face. The wolves within could not protect from silver weaponry, but they had been able to ensure that their bonds would bear no scars. Much to the dark-elf’s surprise, and comfort, H’kira stayed with him at the cabin, even after he had healed. Days had turned to weeks and they had become good friends, finding comfort in the presence of someone who knew and understood what it was to be a werewolf. The only thing that bothered him was the pain behind her eyes, an unspoken hurt, something she had never been able to tell him about, something to do with the tomb in the clearing. The day was coming; he would talk to her about it.

The time had come, Rahas decide, he cared to much for the half-elf woman who had saved him to let her inner pain eat away at her soul. She needed to face it; he needed to understand what it was in order to help her. He found her in the clearing, congratulating Specter, the packs new Hunter. He set a hand on her shoulder.

“We need to talk.”

She gave him a puzzled look and followed him to the tomb.

“What happened here that hurt you so much?” he asked.

She looked at him, eyes full of a hurt she felt he could never understand. H’kira shook her head and began to walk away. He threw caution to the wind, drastic times called for drastic measures and all that rubbish. He put a hand on her arm.

“If you can’t tell me, show me.”

She gave him another puzzled look.

“Here, I’ll show you what I mean.”

He put his forehead against hers, the barriers to her mind were down, and he looked in to find the source of the problem. Few werewolves could search memories this way, he guessed he was lucky. Then he found it, watched it through her eyes, she relived it, the death of the pack. He understood now what a trauma it had been, a terrible tragedy. He let go of her arm. She was shaking violently.

H’kira was upset, and very angry as well. He had seen it, looked into her mind and watched the events that had caused the death of her pack. She reverted to wolven mind-speech.

*Wha…What the HELL did you do that for? *

And then she hit him, hard, in the ribs.

Rahas winced, damn it that hurt, he was going to have a bruise. No matter, he walked closer to his half-elven companion. Sat down and put an arm around her shaking shoulders.

*I did that because you needed it. You needed to face whatever had pained you, H’kira; it was eating away at you. I…I care too much for you to let you hurt yourself like this. Look around you, your pack may have died, but you can’t change it, look to what you have changed though, because of you Ghost has a family, cubs, lone wolves have a place to call home. You have touched the lives of many H’kira the Wolf, wolves and men. Including me…and I’m not afraid to say it now…I love you*

She looked shocked…speechless even.

*Wha..What?!*

*Let me elaborate on that for you* he sent. He leaned in and kissed her.

Specter howled, the cubs joined in, clearly enjoying the strange spectacle (because as you all know…wolves don’t kiss). Specter even looked a bit shocked when his Kira and packbrother Rahas walked to the cabin. The wolves knew what was going on…and that cabin would never be the same again.

Ghost looked to his mate, the gray wolf Raksha,

*Our silver has taken a mate. *

*It seems her sadness will haunt her no more. *

*All is well in our wood*

*Mielikki smiles upon us*

The alphas rose to chase the cubs away from the cabin…it was going to be a long night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com