Quiz Description: NPC Biographies

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 02:39 AM

NPC Biographies

One Size Does Not Fit All

The NPC biography is a wonderful invention that helps to enrich our gaming experience. This concise blurb provides the context for understanding our protagonist's companions and helps transform these entities from mere matrices of numbers into living, breathing, feeling individuals.

After a limited number of play-throughs, however, the biographies lose their impact: no matter how far you've progressed in the game, no matter what has happened to the characters, no matter what your protagonist is like, the NPCs' biographies never change. One size fits all.

Or does it?

Your mission, should you accept, is simply this: to rewrite the NPC biography of your choice. While doing so, you may wish to take into account any of the following:

1) Passage of time. Why should your protagonist be privy to the exact same information 10 seconds after meeting his/her new companion as s/he has just prior to the end of ToB?

2) Plot development. For instance, how would a romanced Sir Anomen's biography differ from the default biography?

3) The protagonist's characteristics. How would your ugh-and-grunt Int=3 Wis=3 NG Barbarian perceive Sir Keldorn (provided s/he can put quill to parchment :B), as opposed to your Int=18 Wis=18 CE Necromancer? For that matter, how much personal information would Sir Keldorn willingly divulge to your CE Necromancer?

4) Your changed perception of the NPC. After you've played through the game with a certain cast of NPCs, sometimes your "feel" of the character may diverge from information provided within the official documentation. The most notable example of this is the evil Aerie phenomenon.

In keeping with the spirit of the genre, I would respectfully suggest a limit of 300 words per biography to encourage pithiness ... unless you're writing a biography from Jan's perspective, that is. :(

I would be very intrigued to see how so many talented writers would approach this quiz. Nonetheless, please feel free to contribute whatever writings you feel comfortable sharing, regardless of whether they have any bearing on the quiz topic. The Muse is fickle; woo her where you can.

Good luck, and have fun! :D

Ursula

#2 Laufey

Posted 27 May 2003 - 03:27 AM

Ooooh! An excellentely cool quiz, Ursula! :D I suspect you'll get at least one on topic item from me. :(
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_CHuK'chSS'raGKH_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 03:38 AM

NPC Biographies

Of course not! I would know with all the red marks around my waist! Of course, it wouldn't hurt for clothing that actually does fits all.

The NPC biography is a wonderful invention that helps to enrich our gaming experience. This concise blurb provides the context for understanding our protagonist's companions and helps transform these entities from mere matrices of numbers into living, breathing, feeling individuals.

Doesn't it? I mean, biographies are great!

After a limited number of play-throughs, however, the biographies lose their impact: no matter how far you've progressed in the game, no matter what has happened to the characters, no matter what your protagonist is like, the NPCs' biographies never change. One size fits all.

You're right, unfortunatly. :)

Or does it?

Your mission, should you accept, is simply this: to rewrite the NPC biography of your choice. While doing so, you may wish to take into account any of the following:

1) Passage of time. Why should your protagonist be privy to the exact same information 10 seconds after meeting his/her new companion as s/he has just prior to the end of ToB?

That's true.

2) Plot development. For instance, how would a romanced Sir Anomen's biography differ from the default biography?

Good idea...

3) The protagonist's characteristics. How would your ugh-and-grunt Int=3 Wis=3 NG Barbarian perceive Sir Keldorn (provided s/he can put quill to parchment ::P, as opposed to your Int=18 Wis=18 CE Necromancer? For that matter, how much personal information would Sir Keldorn willingly divulge to your CE Necromancer?

Hmm...

4) Your changed perception of the NPC. After you've played through the game with a certain cast of NPCs, sometimes your "feel" of the character may diverge from information provided within the official documentation. The most notable example of this is the evil Aerie phenomenon.

People have different thoughts about different people.

In keeping with the spirit of the genre, I would respectfully suggest a limit of 300 words per biography to encourage pithiness ... unless you're writing a biography from Jan's perspective, that is. ;)

Surprisingly, Jan's biography is the shortest. ;)

I would be very intrigued to see how so many talented writers would approach this quiz. Nonetheless, please feel free to contribute whatever writings you feel comfortable sharing, regardless of whether they have any bearing on the quiz topic. The Muse is fickle; woo her where you can.

Not sure if I'll be able to write anything on-topic, or anything at all this quiz. End of the school year's coming up, and I may need to study.

Good luck, and have fun! :?

Ursula

Hope you get many on-topics! :)

#4 Guest_Domi_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 04:33 AM

Great quiz! And nice to have you back ;)

#5 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 05:14 AM

They could be centuries old.

3) The protagonist's characteristics. How would your ugh-and-grunt Int=3 Wis=3 NG Barbarian perceive Sir Keldorn (provided s/he can put quill to parchment :;), as opposed to your Int=18 Wis=18 CE Necromancer? For that matter, how much personal information would Sir Keldorn willingly divulge to your CE Necromancer?

Actually, some of the party combinations the you can make seem utterly unlikely to happen in RL.

Sounds interestuing

Hunter

#6 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 10:39 AM

Ooooh! An excellentely cool quiz, Ursula! ;) I suspect you'll get at least one on topic item from me. ;)

Thank you! It would be really neat to see what you could do with the topic. The possibilities are endless ...

#7 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 10:55 AM

Great avatar, btw! :)

Of course not! I would know with all the red marks around my waist! Of course, it wouldn't hurt for clothing that actually does fits all.

::shakes head:: I agree w/ you! And it's always interesting to wear shirts one size, slacks another size, coat yet another size, etc. Then there's shoe size.

Doesn't it? I mean, biographies are great!

It's an artform! I'm continually surprised how much info they manage to convey (and, more importantly, imply) within such a short space.

People have different thoughts about different people.

...Which is just one of the reasons why the literary offerings at the Attic are so interesting.

Surprisingly, Jan's biography is the shortest. ;)

I know! And it's a real hoot, too. ;)

Not sure if I'll be able to write anything on-topic, or anything at all this quiz. End of the school year's coming up, and I may need to study.

::nods head:: Oh yes; you've probably hit your AP's and Achievements and are headed for...well, in NYS, it would be the Regents.
Good luck!

Hope you get many on-topics! :)

Thank you for your kinds thoughts. :?

#8 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 10:59 AM

Great quiz! And nice to have you back ;)

Gee, thanks, Domi! :) It's nice to be back...and I'm glad to see you as well. ;)

Take care!

#9 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 11:03 AM

They could be centuries old.

Good point. ;)

Actually, some of the party combinations the you can make seem utterly unlikely to happen in RL.

...unless they're thrown together in the workplace. ;)
But yeah, I think you're right.

Sounds interestuing
Hunter

Thank you! I hope it works out... :)

#10 Guest_Aurelius_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 12:26 PM

GREAAAAAAT!!!!!
Excellent topic!!!

Count me in!

#11 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 03:48 PM

GREAAAAAAT!!!!!
Excellent topic!!!

Count me in!

Thank'ee kindly, sir. I aim to please. :)

I look forward to reading your literary offering. ;)

#12 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 03:55 PM

Very cool quiz! Good point about Keldorn telling less to a PC with an air of eeeeeeeeevil about them! And perhaps Korgan would spill more (info, not blood, but that too) after a few (hundred) beers.

The current subject matter of BG/O is related, as the BG1 NPCs are popping onto the scene one after another...perhaps I'll make new biographies corresponding to them or something. Xzar & Monty certainly has extra background.

#13 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 05:00 PM

Very cool quiz! Good point about Keldorn telling less to a PC with an air of eeeeeeeeevil about them! And perhaps Korgan would spill more (info, not blood, but that too) after a few (hundred) beers.

I guess it wouldn't work w/ Keldy & beer though, eh? I always sorta thought of him as an Earl Gray (sp?) drinker. :) Keldorn hyped up on caffeine would be an interesting character.

The current subject matter of BG/O is related, as the BG1 NPCs are popping onto the scene one after another...perhaps I'll make new biographies corresponding to them or something. Xzar & Monty certainly has extra background.

Yeah, I'm looking forward what you can -- or WILL -- do w/ your vibrant prose and exciting characterization.

One question, though; how *do* Lathanderite paladins behave (as opposed to your Ajantis)?

Thank you for your encouragement. ;) Hope this quiz is amusing for those involved...

#14 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 05:33 PM

This sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind participating. However, I'm new here and don't really know what this whole thing is and how it works and what is appropriate, and am shy anyway.

Eek. The strangest things can be so intimitating. I feel like I'm Khalid or something. :)

#15 Laufey

Posted 27 May 2003 - 05:48 PM

This sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind participating. However, I'm new here and don't really know what this whole thing is and how it works and what is appropriate, and am shy anyway.

Eek. The strangest things can be so intimitating. I feel like I'm Khalid or something. ;)

Hi there, and welcome to the Attic! :) Nothing to be afraid of...we tend to be a friendly bunch. ;) The quiz topic is there as an inspiration to would-be writers, but if you want to post an off-topic story, that's fine as well, and you're also always welcome to comment on what other people write, or join in discussions. Have fun! :D

#16 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 05:57 PM

Thank you for the friendly welcome. I always need one to get started anywhere.

I am definitely a would-be writer. And this particular topic, well, it's most pleasantly simple. Where would I post my on version, and is there some explanation about this thing in general somewhere so that I won't be bugging you people here about the details if I can find them pre-written elsewhere?

#17 Laufey

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:01 PM

I am definitely a would-be writer. And this particular topic, well, it's most pleasantly simple. Where would I post my on version, and is there some explanation about this thing in general somewhere so that I won't be bugging you people here about the details if I can find them pre-written elsewhere?

The Code of Conduct is posted in the 'Announcements' forum. :) Apart from that, it's not too complicated. Just select 'new topic' and post your story. Most of the people who post here also later put up final versions in 'The Cellar', after they have been read and commented on in the Attic. And don't worry if you get something wrong about the practical details of posting, we were all new once. ;)

#18 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:09 PM

Most people do. *waves* Glad you found us!

Just start off a new topic with your story/bio/poem/whatever else the Muse brings you. And don't be afraid to ask questions.

#19 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:31 PM

I'll watch some other people write their biographies first, and then maybe send one of my own. I can easily imagine what kind of one I could write for some character.

#20 Weyoun

Posted 27 May 2003 - 09:21 PM

NPC Biographies

Or does it?

3) The protagonist's characteristics. How would your ugh-and-grunt Int=3 Wis=3 NG Barbarian perceive Sir Keldorn (provided s/he can put quill to parchment ::), as opposed to your Int=18 Wis=18 CE Necromancer? For that matter, how much personal information would Sir Keldorn willingly divulge to your CE Necromancer?

In keeping with the spirit of the genre, I would respectfully suggest a limit of 300 words per biography to encourage pithiness ... unless you're writing a biography from Jan's perspective, that is. :D

Good luck, and have fun! :)

Ursula

Hey, ursula! Sounds like a great quiz you've cooked up! I hope you'll have lotsa fun!

---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com