The Knight Rogue, chapter 4

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 14 November 2002 - 06:34 AM

And here ends Vivi's little introduction. I regret that you won't be seeing much of her again for a while, but I'm not a very fast writer.

I should be getting to the other members of her NWN party sometime, but with ATG and TFFG also on my plate...well, who knows.

The Knight Rogue, chapter 4

The final day of Vivi's time at the Order dawned with a bright and clear morning, perfect for all the Order's squires, who awoke early to prepare for the day. The remaining ninety-four squires (many had left for varying reasons in the last six months of training) were, for the most part, extremely nervous. After all, on this last day, one was finally tested by Torm directly for suitability to enter the Order.

One of these squires was not nervous. Vivienne Delacroix was completely calm - and rightfully so. Every time her fears threatened to creep back in she recalled the memory of the old knight in the library. Though she didn't know the specifics, she was confident the day would end well.

Before, she might have had some small worry about her appearance. Every squire was determined to present their best this day, and they'd taken pains to have everything polished and shining. And it wasn't as if she hadn't done the same things - but she'd stand out anyway in the sea of shining plate and glittering chain. Offhand, she couldn't think of anything that looked less like a knight; form-fitting black leather, a shortsword belted to her right side and a longsword across her back. The only thing that seemed even similar was the metal gauntlet on her left hand, but even then, it wasn't a particularly heavy one.

Vivienne looked over herself in the mirror one last time, then shrugged. I may not look the part, but no matter what I look like, I will be a knight at the end of the day. She smiled inwardly. Even if I'm not exactly what most people would think of as a knight.

On the other side of the temple, Borin "Boggy" Oggram was also confident the day would end well, though he was most certainly wrong. He'd just finished polishing and donning his extravagant full plate. He was sure he'd make such an incredible impression on Torm that his acceptance was assured. And, he thought with a sneer, all those inferiors who had surrounded him for the last year would get their comeuppance. He couldn't imagine that any of them deserved knightly status, but he supposed that Torm, in his mercy, might grant a few of them that state.

The ceremony was to be rather simple. All of the squires would stand in ranks in front of the temple, and High Priest Barriltar Bhandraddon would summon Torm's vision and guidance. One by one, the squires would pass in front of the High Priest, and Torm would send a sign for each - a glittering aura of golden radiance for someone worthy to enter the knighthood, and a pillar of bright white light for someone Torm had decided was worthy of being his paladin. On the rare occasion when someone was rejected, Torm simply sent no sign until the rejected candidate removed him or herself from in front of the High Priest.

Rejection was rare mainly because the instructors continually emphasized that if at any time any squire felt that they weren't suited to become a knight, they could leave with no hard feelings and no consequences. In this fashion most of the squires that would normally be rejected weeded themselves out, unless they were supremely self-delusional.

Boggy, unfortunately for him, was in the latter category, and had his eyes fixed on the pillar of light. His purity and knightliness, he thought, were absolutely perfect. Torm would be overjoyed to have him as a paladin, he was sure. The others...well, Boggy was also sure that there would be a much higher number of rejections this year. After all, he didn't think many of them were suitable to be knights at all - and he didn't doubt he was right for a second.

The squires were abuzz with conversation as they headed out to the courtyard of the temple in a large mass. Not a few were nervous, doubting their worthiness in some way or another, and it showed in their strained expressions and slightly shrill tones of voice. A large crowd had gathered, many of them parents and friends, but just as many curious spectators, ready to watch what was always an impressive ceremony.

That didn't do wonders for the squires' nerves. Still, training took hold as the time of the ceremony approached, and they formed ranks in front of the temple and waited. Every squire looked around, hoping to catch a familiar face or two in the crowd, craning their necks to look over or around other squires. Even if intellectually, they knew their family would never have missed it, everyone just had to make sure with their own eyes. Vivienne was no exception.

Vivienne spotted her mother and father easily, but they weren't all she was looking for. After a few seconds, a wave from a rooftop caught her attention. Arlo, Luce, and a number of other Grayclaws were hidden in balcony shadows, watching from the buildings around. Lucien popped out to wave and wink, then vanished into the shadows again.

Vivienne grinned. Her whole family was here.

There was a loud booming sound as the bell atop the temple was rung, signalling the start of the ceremony. High Priest Bhandraddon called everyone to order and they all went through the basic opening rituals by force of habit. He then gave a short sermon which none of the squires paid any attention to, and then three senior knights came up and gave speeches about knighthood and the responsibilities thereof (which were rehashes of material they were already intimately familiar with). The squires didn't pay any attention to those speeches, either, but they sounded impressive for the audience.

After the speeches, it was time for the Test, and all of the squires tensed up as one, then began to present themselves, one by one, in front of the High Priest.

First up was a Tantran peasant's son, Alain Landry by name. A hush fell over the crowd as he walked in front of the High Priest. After a few seconds, he was surrounded by an aura of radiance and applause broke out in the crowd. Nearly sobbing with relief, the new knight stumbled off to be congratulated by friends and family.

The next ten or so squires were knighted without notable incident, each presenting themselves and then being gifted with the radiant aura symbolizing approval of knighthood. The next up was Javier Moreau, one of the squires Vivienne had always thought was one of the best people in her class - in personality as well as skill.

Torm evidently thought so, as well. A brilliant pillar of light burst from above his head and bathed him in a flare of radiant white. The audience, as well as many of the other squires, broke into cheers, as Javier struggled to contain his surprise as well as the sheer spontaneous joy of feeling Torm's power surge through him and strengthen him. No longer a squire, Javier Moreau was now not only a knight, but a paladin of Torm. Vivienne smiled and cheered for him, along with the other squires.

One squire was not cheering. Boggy was horrified that Javier Moreau had made knight - much less paladin. He was convinced that Torm had made a serious error in judgement, and resolved to take it up with him personally once he was a paladin as well. He felt he could prove that Moreau couldn't possibly measure up to finer examples of paladinhood - such as Boggy himself.

The next thirty squires went by, four becoming paladins. Boggy grew more and more agitated with each one that became a paladin, convinced each time that he'd have something to discuss with Torm. He was already annoyed enough about those becoming knights.

At length, it came to be Vivienne's turn, and she traced the same path the other squires had. There were a few whispers and mutters of both outrage and confusion in the crowd as the young lady in black leather walked up to the front of the group. Vivienne half-turned while presenting herself in front of the High Priest, regarding the crowd with a defiant stare that silenced many of the mutters. Torm's next decision silenced the rest.

A brilliant column of white light appeared around her, surrounding her with the shining glow of Torm's approval. Vivi snapped bolt upright in shock. I'm a what now?

She'd expected knighthood, at least, given that Torm had said that he accepted that rogue-like people were often great heroes. She hadn't given a single thought to paladinhood, thinking it completely irrelevant to her situation. This was the very last thing she would have guessed would happen, and her mind was still in a state of stunned shock. Partly that was due to surprise; partly, it was due to the elemental euphoria that poured through her as Torm's power flooded into her.

Then it was over, and she moved out of the way for the next squire, echoes of the experience still ringing in her mind.

Deep in the crowd, someone else was similarly in shock, but for completely different reasons. Borin Oggram's breathing was fast and shallow, his face pale, and he was sure he was about to pass out. He simply could not accept the fact that Vivienne had made paladin. He couldn't see a thing right about it. Torm was clearly thinking wrongly this day. Boggy twitched his feet, eager to get to the front. Obviously Torm needed his exalted guidance.

Boggy's turn came, none too soon from his perspective, only eight squires later. He smirked and walked up to take his place, ready to bask in the luxuriant light of Torm. He stood before the High Priest and nodded.

Nothing happened.

Boggy looked at High Priest Bhandraddon again and nodded sharply. "Get on with it!" he hissed.

Bhandraddon looked up and met Boggy's eyes, then slowly and solemnly shook his head.

Boggy's eyes bugged out. This can't be happening to me! I'm perfect! I'm the best! He stood there, stunned, for another full minute.

One of the senior knights cleared his throat. "Squire Oggram," he said, emphasizing the word squire, "Please remove yourself. You are holding up the proceedings."

"This...this is an outrage!" Boggy stammered.

"Yes," the knight agreed. "Now please leave, and make it less of one."

There were rumbles in the crowd, and they only grew louder as Boggy pointed a finger at the High Priest. "I demand that you approve me!"

"No one demands anything of Torm, young one," Bhandraddon said sternly. "And you are not worthy of approval."

The rumbles in the crowd grew louder still. Boggy was outraged at being humiliated in front of the crowd - he would prove to Torm that he should be a knight and a paladin! There was only one thing he could think of. "A...a trial by combat!" he blurted. He looked around rapidly. Who could he easily defeat...?

"Her!" he declared, pointing at Vivienne, who was talking with her parents. "A trial by combat! It is an old tradition, rarely called upon, but I invoke it!"

The three senior knights next to the High Priest broke into roaring laughter. "Young man," one of them said, "I do not know what romance novels you have been reading, but the church of Torm has no tradition of trial by combat. One cannot fight one's way into paladinhood; you are not made worthy by defeating someone who is."

Boggy grew pale as the crowd laughed. The titles of a few novels did in fact pop into his mind, but he wasn't about to share them with the jeering crowd.

"Now, please, stop holding up the proceedings," another of the senior knights said, pointing the way out.

"Hold on," Vivienne said, running up to the knights. "Boggy wants to fight me? I'll take him up on it!"

"Milady," one of them explained, "you need not do this. He has no right to challenge you to a trial by combat."

"Oh, I know," she said with a dazzling smile. "But I want to do this."

"I am not sure..." one of the knights began.

"Look," Vivienne said. "Either you can clear an area right now, or the two of us can go off into a back alley somewhere and beat on each other until one of us is dead. He wants to fight, I want to fight, so what we have here is a willing duel between two citizens. You can't stop us, so you might as well get this over with quickly. Besides," and with this she threw a glance at the High Priest, "Boggy needs someone to teach him a lesson."

Bhandraddon cocked his head to the side, as if listening to a voice only he could hear, then nodded. "Let a field of battle be cleared!"

In short order, Vivienne and Boggy faced each other across a hastily formed clearing, the crowd having backed off on all sides to give the combatants space. Boggy had brought out his massive shield, and carried a platinum-hilted longsword with runes of power written up and down its blade. Vivi faced him with her two swords drawn, the short sword held blade-down. Both were plain, nondescript weapons, and she'd shrugged off the offers of magical blades to equal Boggy's from the other squires and knights.

"Ready to go, Boggy?" Vivienne shouted with a smile.

"Have at thee, wench!" Boggy snarled in reply. He charged.

Vivi remained motionless as Boggy thundered toward her. Then, at the last moment, she jumped straight up, flipping up and over him as he ran by. Boggy skidded to a halt in surprise as Vivi landed directly behind him. With a single vicious stab, Vivi's shortsword tore through the mail protecting Boggy's left shoulder join. Instead of continuing the strike, however, she turned the blade to the side, popping link after link, and ripped his entire shoulder plate off.

That armour looked very pretty, but no one had ever claimed it was well-made. As it happened to be, it was a good example of why jewellers should not be allowed to make armour.

Boggy tried to turn around and received a kick to the head for his efforts, spinning him about again. Vivi's longsword then flashed out, splitting off his right shoulder plate.

Boggy stumbled forward, off-balance, and turned quickly, raising his weapon and shield. He hadn't even gotten his feet under him when Vivi hit like a whirlwind, blades slamming into his arms and sides, unaffected by the frantic waving of his shield.

Her longsword struck with brutal precision again, cutting through his left gauntlet. Boggy screamed in pain and dropped his shield, again stumbling back to try to regain his balance. Again, Vivi didn't let him, pressing the attack and forcing him to stumble further and further as she kept peeling pieces of his armour off of him.

It was evident to the crowd by this time that she was toying with him, forcing him back and forth around the clearing while hacking his armour into little bits. Vivi's parents allowed themselves to relax a little.

Then, Boggy finally managed to get some space. Reaching out with his empty left hand, he grabbed a spectator and threw him bodily into Vivi's path. Vivi reacted instantly, spinning and kicking out a leg to push the spectator back into the crowd while using her momentum to whirl forward into position, but that split second gave Boggy the time to get his feet under him and swing his sword at her for the first time. His magic sword darted forward in a flash of silver, and Vivi's spin had put herself right into its path.

Boggy smiled...and then suddenly he felt a wrenching force seize the weapon and rip it out of his hand, only barely conscious of the complicated twisting motions of Vivi's swords. He looked up to see a sword spinning lazily in the air, and the thought that's my sword percolated into his brain. Then a single finger flipped up the visor on his helmet and a metal gauntlet wrapped around a shortsword hilt punched into his face three times. Boggy stumbled backward again, right into the range of Vivi's longsword. It slashed up and into his side, and a final leaping kick knocked Boggy on to his front on the ground, helmet ringing like a bell.

Vivi casually sheathed her own longsword and plucked Boggy's out of the air as it descended. "You lose, Boggy," Vivi told him, not even breathing that heavily.

"I...I can never lose! You...you cheated!"

Vivi rolled her eyes. "Whatever you want to believe, Boggy. Slick move you pulled there with the civilian, too, in case you've forgotten. You probably think you're a paladin, too."

"I AM a paladin!"

Vivienne laughed. "Boggy, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. You belong in one of our books under the category of 'people who shouldn't be knights'. Or did you even read any of them?"

Boggy replied with an inarticulate roar as he rose to his feet and charged her, hands spread as if to rip her apart.

"Boggy, not smart," Vivi said as he continued his charge. "I've got all the weapons, remember? And I just kicked your ass, remember that too?"

Boggy didn't stop.

"Oh well. Can't say I didn't warn him," she sighed. Just as Boggy got close, she lashed out a foot in a devastatingly accurate kick that snapped his head back with an audible crack. He slumped bonelessly to the floor, neck broken.

There was silence among the crowd. Vivi leaned over him. "Goodbye, Boggy. Somehow I don't think I'll miss you."

It was late at night, and the party her parents had thrown for her had finally wound down. The number of nobles her parents knew who were wishing her well was staggering - as well as tiring, since she didn't happen to know most of those nobles and was reduced to a lot of smiles and nods and "thank-you"'s. At last, they'd all returned to their own estates, her parents were in bed, and the only people left awake in her house were the servants, cleaning up the last of the mess.

Vivi slipped quietly out her room window, and swung on to the roof. Silently and invisibly, she hopped from roof to roof, finally arriving on top of a large, nondescript building. She reached down and opened the hidden ceiling door, then dropped through.

"Vivi! You made it!" Lucien said with a welcoming smile. Behind him, thirty or forty Grayclaws raised their mugs in salute.

"Naturally," Vivi said. "How could I forget the real celebration?"

Arlo laughed. "I always said you'd make a wonderful knight, Vivi. And you did it!"

"Yes, Arlo, I did. Thank you...thanks for everything. All of you."

The assembled Grayclaws cheered and ushered her to the place at the head of the table. Vivi grinned. Now, this was the way to celebrate knighthood!

The best way to describe Vivienne is as a paladin with a special kit (so far, unique to her).

VIVIENNE DELACROIX hf LG Pal4

STR 12

DEX 21

CON 9

INT 16

WIS 12

CHA 18

Weapon proficiencies:

Short Sword ++

Long Sword ++

Dexterity-based fighting + (allows her to apply her Missile Attack Adjustment to melee attacks: the 2E precursor to "weapon finesse")

Pick Pockets 25%

Open Locks 35%

Find/Remove Traps 25%

Move Silently 80%

Hide in Shadows 80%

Detect Noise 15%

Climb Walls 60%

Class abilities - Paladin:

Detect Evil Intent

+2 to saving throws

Immunity to disease

Healing by laying on hands

Projects a circle of power when wielding a holy sword

Class abilities - Rogue:

Pick Pockets

Open Locks

Find/Remove Traps

Move Silently

Hide in Shadows

Detect Noise

Climb Walls

30(15) discretionary points per level.

Unlike other paladins, Vivienne cannot cast spells, turn undead, call for a bonded mount, project an aura of protection, or cure disease. Unlike standard rogues, Vivienne gets no backstab bonus, nor the ability to use wizard scrolls and magic devices, nor the standard thief skill Read Languages or the extraordinary thief skills Tunneling and Bribe.

#2 Laufey

Posted 14 November 2002 - 06:44 AM

Great ending! I certainly enjoyed seeing Vivi kick Boggy's behind, and your descriptions of his thoughts during the ceremony were quite priceless. :)

In The Cards
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 14 November 2002 - 06:50 AM

> Great ending! I certainly enjoyed seeing Vivi kick Boggy's behind, and

> your descriptions of his thoughts during the ceremony were quite

> priceless. :)

Closing off loose ends. And you had to see Vivi in action at least once - after all, introductions have to cover all the bases :)

#4 Requiem

Posted 14 November 2002 - 07:09 AM

> And here ends Vivi's little introduction. I regret that you won't be

> seeing much of her again for a while, but I'm not a very fast writer.

Just glad to have made her acquaintaince at all! :)

Can't tell you just how much I enjoyed this. I enjoy the way you set things up, for example contrasting the polished and gleaming plate of most candidates with Vivi's black leather to strengthen the idea that somehow she's just not the usual sort of candidate.

You definitely got a few chuckles out of me in the "Boggy" scenes with his pompous reasoning and the allusions to his literary tastes! And of course it was most satisfying to have Vivi succeed in her knighthood AND become a paladin despite all the barriers.

*sighs happily*

j.

#5 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:49 PM

> Offhand, she couldn't think of

> anything that looked less like a knight; form-fitting black leather, a

> shortsword belted to her right side and a longsword across her back. The

> only thing that seemed even similar was the metal gauntlet on her left

> hand, but even then, it wasn't a particularly heavy one.

Something my Tazok has yet to grasp: it isn't so important what the knight looks like as to what he is inside.

> He was sure he'd make

> such an incredible impression on Torm that his acceptance was assured.

> And, he thought with a sneer, all those inferiors who had surrounded him

> for the last year would get their comeuppance. He couldn't imagine that

> any of them deserved knightly status, but he supposed that Torm, in his

> mercy, might grant a few of them that state.

He has a bit of an attitude problem. Hasn't been paying attention in the ethics class?

> First up was a Tantran peasant's son, Alain Landry by name. A hush fell

> over the crowd as he walked in front of the High Priest. After a few

> seconds, he was surrounded by an aura of radiance and applause broke out

> in the crowd. Nearly sobbing with relief, the new knight stumbled off to

> be congratulated by friends and family.

Awwwwww!

> One squire was not cheering. Boggy was horrified that Javier Moreau had

> made knight - much less paladin. He was convinced that Torm had made a

> serious error in judgement, and resolved to take it up with him personally

> once he was a paladin as well.

LOL! 'You know Tormy, I have a bit of advice for you...'

> Boggy grew pale as the crowd laughed. The titles of a few novels did in

> fact pop into his mind, but he wasn't about to share them with the jeering

> crowd.

LOLOLOL!

> Vivi remained motionless as Boggy thundered toward her. Then, at the last

> moment, she jumped straight up, flipping up and over him as he ran by.

> Boggy skidded to a halt in surprise as Vivi landed directly behind him.

> With a single vicious stab, Vivi's shortsword tore through the mail

> protecting Boggy's left shoulder join. Instead of continuing the strike,

> however, she turned the blade to the side, popping link after link, and

> ripped his entire shoulder plate off.

Good one!

> Boggy stumbled forward, off-balance, and turned quickly, raising his

> weapon and shield. He hadn't even gotten his feet under him when Vivi hit

> like a whirlwind, blades slamming into his arms and sides, unaffected by

> the frantic waving of his shield.

Loos like Bogy isn't that hot in fighting either.

Road of redemption

#6 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 14 November 2002 - 05:13 PM

> Just glad to have made her acquaintaince at all! ;)

> Can't tell you just how much I enjoyed this. I enjoy the way you set

> things up, for example contrasting the polished and gleaming plate of most

> candidates with Vivi's black leather to strengthen the idea that somehow

> she's just not the usual sort of candidate.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. It was a lot of fun to write, too.

> You definitely got a few chuckles out of me in the "Boggy"

> scenes with his pompous reasoning and the allusions to his literary

> tastes! And of course it was most satisfying to have Vivi succeed in her

> knighthood AND become a paladin despite all the barriers.

Heh. Her success isn't the end of it, of course. There are all these issues with being a paladin that she hasn't quite worked out yet; but that's what my NWN story's for.

#7 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 14 November 2002 - 05:20 PM

> Something my Tazok has yet to grasp: it isn't so important what the knight

> looks like as to what he is inside.

Something many people don't understand.

> He has a bit of an attitude problem. Hasn't been paying attention in the

> ethics class?

Sure he has. But as I said, he's supremely self-delusional. Every time the instructors said, with meaningful looks, that anyone who didn't agree or didn't care about the ethics shouldn't stay in the knighthood, he assumed they were talking about someone else. After all, he thinks he's perfect already.

> LOL! 'You know Tormy, I have a bit of advice for you...'

Sounds like something Jan would say, except that Boggy would be serious.

> Loos like Bogy isn't that hot in fighting either.

He doesn't train at all. Fighting well requires training and practice, and when one keeps blowing off sparring matches by claiming inherent superiority, one doesn't get training or practice.

#8 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:38 AM

> And here ends Vivi's little introduction. I regret that you won't be

> seeing much of her again for a while,

Me too :P

> but I'm not a very fast writer.

Your works are obviously polished painstakingly, with tons of clever details, so...

> The Knight Rogue, chapter 4

Again, I really enjoyed this chapter. *That* was a real shocker, seeing Vivienne's divine Selection as a paladin. Wow! (Quite the descriptive passage, btw. Really got a sense of what it felt like for her.) Kudos!

I only have some rather dim questions.

(1) It was mentioned that Boggy deluded himself about his qualifications. I think you wrote in another response something to the effect that the instructors' hints that "quitting the training is okay" would've been aimed in Boggy's direction as well. My question is: didn't any of the instructors ever go up to him and tell him forthrightly that this didn't appear to be working out?

(2) My other question is why did Torm (I assume that's what Bhandraddon was listening to) allow this battle. I beg your pardon about this. Boggy was delusional, and then proposed something foolhardy (even though he didn't realize it because of his vainglory). Wouldn't they have preferred for him to learn how to better himself rather than just have him gutted...if that had been a possibility, that is?

My humble thanks for another engrossing series. ;)

#9 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 15 November 2002 - 05:05 AM

> Again, I really enjoyed this chapter. *That* was a real shocker, seeing

> Vivienne's divine Selection as a paladin. Wow! (Quite the descriptive

> passage, btw. Really got a sense of what it felt like for her.) Kudos!

Thanks!

> (1) It was mentioned that Boggy deluded himself about his qualifications.

> I think you wrote in another response something to the effect that the

> instructors' hints that "quitting the training is okay" would've

> been aimed in Boggy's direction as well. My question is: didn't any of the

> instructors ever go up to him and tell him forthrightly that this didn't

> appear to be working out?

Yes. He ignored them, of course. After all, he thinks he knows better than them. He thinks he knows better than Torm, so what's an instructor or two?

Supremely self-delusional, as I said. Boggy thought of himself as a paladin already and felt that the year spent as a squire was just a rubber-stamp. He was wrong...but that wasn't the first or the last time.

> (2) My other question is why did Torm (I assume that's what Bhandraddon

> was listening to) allow this battle. I beg your pardon about this. Boggy

> was delusional, and then proposed something foolhardy (even though he

> didn't realize it because of his vainglory). Wouldn't they have preferred

> for him to learn how to better himself rather than just have him

> gutted...if that had been a possibility, that is?

Well, the point is, they tried. They tried for a whole year. The very last-ditch last resort - the only thing they hadn't yet tried - was for Boggy to be defeated in combat in front of his peers, to make him understand the nature of his delusions. You'll note that Vivi was prepared to end the battle with Boggy humiliated, not dead. But instead, he claimed that she was cheating and didn't even apologize for threatening the life of the spectator. In other words, Boggy was a hopeless case.

Given that, resentment often makes failed knights into bitter enemies (shades of CN Anomen?). And in this case, he'd be a bitter enemy with a lot of money, which gets things done, in the Realms as in our world. Better for the Order and for everyone that Boggy die.

#10 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 15 November 2002 - 05:18 AM

Ack! Forgot to mention - about his career. He was training with a Swashbuckler before he became a paladin (hense he only wears leathers) ... so I was thinking about him going back to that for awhile as well.

#11 Leo

Posted 15 November 2002 - 05:21 AM

> Three Cheers for Borg and Fantysm! Good job, you, guys!

> Leo, Leo is it going to be THE NEW ATTIC?

That's the idea. ;)

Leo

#12 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 15 November 2002 - 05:25 AM

> It was therefore with some surprise that he saw the redhead roll her eyes

> skyward. “Why me?” she asked.

Rini's collecting quite the party here. Cirindaeriella "Aerie" of Loviatar, Anomen "Head-wound" Delryn of Helm...just add Jan and Edwin, stir and watch the fireworks ;)

#13 Laufey

Posted 15 November 2002 - 05:27 AM

> Rini's collecting quite the party here. Cirindaeriella "Aerie"

> of Loviatar, Anomen "Head-wound" Delryn of Helm...just add Jan

> and Edwin, stir and watch the fireworks :P

Oh yes. ;) Though I'm fond of both Edwin, Ano and Jan, they *do* make for conflict...

In The Cards

#14 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 15 November 2002 - 07:31 AM

> Too bad for Kal... but it will make the fight scenes more spectacular for

> the reader, I imagine ; ) (unless Kal just stops fighting altogether, but

> I'm not sure total pacifism would work all that well in the Underdark)

They'll be spectacular all right. By then he'll have shifted almost entirely toward the Slayer's physical stats of 24/24/24. I've planned some moves which are in fact highly impractical, that no swordsman would ever do because they'd require incredible strength coupled with impossible agility.

That, however, is exactly what Kal will end up with.

#15 Weyoun

Posted 15 November 2002 - 12:48 PM

> No particular Evil Avariel warning necessary for this one - it isn't

> really about her. Aren't I considerate to inflict the Helmite Horror upon

> you instead? I do like him, but his initial attitude is...well...

Heeeee! ;)

Laska : *to Weyoun* Okay, get outta here. We'll handle this comment!

> Cards Reshuffled 19 – Cesspool Of Corruption The writers of romance

> novels far too often seem to be suffering from the delusion that a knight

> in shining armor is every woman's fondest dream.

Vierna : *snort*

Aribeth : *yawns*

Laska : *Looking ready to confess she has romance novels in the outhouse, but doesn't really use them for reading :D*

> One of the girls noticed his eyes momentarily lingering

> down her ample cleavage and gave him a cheeky grin before she turned her

> back and moved off, swaying like a ship in full storm. Anomen felt a hot

> and furious blush coloring his cheeks, and he hated himself for it.

> Indecent wench!

Vierna : Hey! Who's being indecent here?

Aribeth : If I even catch Anomen staring down my cleavage, I swear I'll gut him! :)

> From the other end of the tavern he could hear drunken

> laughter intermingled with pained howls. Another dog fight, no doubt.

> Filthy practice. I am a squire of the Order of the Radiant Heart, soon to

> be knighted. I should not stand about in this low and unseemly place. I

> should be out there, vanquishing evil, protecting the innocent. Just as

> soon as I find myself some virtuous companions, equally dedicated to the

> fight for righteousness. If there are any such people to be found amidst

> the lowest scum of Athkatla, that is. So far, the prospects were bleak as

> far as fellow adventurers were concerned. There was a dwarf at a table

> near the wall, singing an incredibly bawdy song at the top of his voice

> between swigs from the largest mug of ale Anomen had ever seen. The fellow

> seemed like a hardy warrior, but hardly the sort of person a prospective

> knight should associate with.

Vierna : Ah, Korgan!

Laska : Hmmmm, giant mug of all... Glllarrrgggghhhhh... :D

> Then there was that De'Arnise girl who was in here again, nagging

> everybody who came close to her about something or other. Probably out on

> some charity collection or something, while trying to ignore the advances

> of a particularly obnoxious elf named Salvanas, one of the regular

> customers. That elf has no idea of how to properly court a lady.

Vierna : Now that we can agree with. :)

> I could

> teach him a thing or two, were I of a mind to do so.

Laska : That statement, on the other hand...

> He probably doesn't

> even know the Language of Flowers, and I suspect he has never read a

> single line of poetry in his life.

Aribeth : *snort* And have you ever read any other poetry than 'Onward Helmite soldiers...' :)

> This is all his fault. In order to be

> accepted into the Order all would be knights had to undertake a quest or

> two, proving their worth. Sir Cadril had loudly expressed his doubts of

> Squire Anomen Delryn ever being able to fulfill a quest more demanding

> than a search for a privy, and said that he thought Anomen probably

> incapable of handling even that detail without aid.

Laska : Bwahahahahaha!

Aribeth : I wouldn't trust a Helmite to be able to properly use a toilet-seat. :)

> And that is exactly what he wanted. Of course he knew about my temper.

> Everybody does. Ah, how could I have been so foolish? Hot with

> indignation, he had immediately stated that he would be able to find a

> noble quest within one week, and within the most infamous den of vice and

> corruption in the city no less. Sir Cadril had replied that if that was

> so, he would eat a barrel of Old Winkin's Finest Armor Polish, without

> salt, but if Anomen failed he would be put on stable duties for the next

> three months.

Vierna : Oh, so that was what he was doing there!

Laska : So he wasn't just trying to get laid? :)

> Right now, six days had passed, and the squire could see a

> pile of horse manure looming high in his future.

Aribeth : He need only look in the mirror to see a pile of horse manure. :)

Laska : Whoa, nice zing, elven sis!

Aribeth : Still got it. *Laska and Ari high five* :)

> A few noble heroes!

> Surely that is not too much to ask? Anomen tried to mentally imagine his

> ideal adventuring party. There should be a noble paladin of course.

> Virtuous and good. Except…not too fond of speaking of his own

> accomplishments or too arrogant. I really cannot stand arrogant people.

Laska : *eyes grow wide* Bwahahahahaha!! *Vierna and Aribeth join in the merriment.*

> A mage would probably be a good idea as well. Pity they are all so fond of

> acting so superior to everybody else. Perhaps one could be found who was

> extremely shy and never opened his mouth except to cast spells? That would

> be perfect.

Vierna : Well, there's very little chance of that.

> A great shame that so many quests require somebody of a…less than

> honorable profession. Still, if I must suffer the presence of a rogue, I

> suppose I could, as long as it was somebody who would be inclined to obey

> my commands without question. Somebody polite and humble, and perhaps even

> capable of being converted to the worship of Helm. That would show Sir

> Cadril…

Aribeth : What planet is he from?

Vierna : The same one you were on when you were still serving Neverwinter.

Aribeth : Ah! The planet 'naive fool'. :)

Laska : More like the planet 'dork'.

Aribeth : HEY! :D

> There should be a lady as well. A fair lady, with a sweet and mild manner,

> like in the stories. Somebody who would listen kindly to me, and offer

> gentle advice. Mayhaps she would even let me wear her favor around my arm…

> Lost in his reverie, it was a few moments before Anomen noticed the fact

> that somebody was standing right in front of him, knocking him on his

> chest to create a banging noise. “Hey, metal-boy!” a melodious female

> voice said. “Are you hard of hearing or something? I've asked you to move

> out of the way three times now, you're blocking the way!”

Laska : WHOA! Fantasy clashes with the truth!

> Startled, the squire looked down to see a woman glaring up at him, her

> hands on her hips. A half-elf, he noticed, shorter and slimmer than a

> human female, and with a very put-out expression on what he instantly

> classified as an attractive face, if currently rather pale. Verily, that

> is the reddest hair I have ever seen! And never have I seen the like of

> those eyes, golden orbs glowing like the very sun… The woman, clearly not

> impressed with the dumbfounded way he was staring at her, made an

> impatient noise and turned to one of her companions, the largest man

> Anomen had ever seen, who also had a small furry wig sitting on top of his

> bald head. No, wigs shouldn't move. That was…some sort of animal? “Minsc,”

> the woman said to the man, “this guy clearly isn't all there. Move him out

> of the way, would you? Without hurting him, please.”

Vierna : Oh, this should be fun.

> “Of course, little Rini!” the giant boomed. “Minsc is always happy to

> help!” Before he was able to say a word in protest, Anomen found himself

> carefully picked up, lifted, and then set down again a little to the right

> of his previous position. He stood there, utterly flabbergasted and

> humiliated, opening and closing his mouth mutely as the redhead moved past

> him without a single glance back in his direction.

Aribeth : Nice one, Minscy!

Laska : Though I wish he could be thrown across the room. That should be fun. Especially if he handed on top of the hot-plates.

Vierna : Frying tonight! :D

Two other women, a

> brunette and a blonde who both looked extremely amused followed her. He

> even thought he could hear the blonde snicker quietly behind her hand. The

> shady looking character that accompanied them was grinning openly at the

> flustered squire. Then there was a black cat padding silently behind them

> all, and he could swear the animal was sporting the same amused smirk as

> the rogue.

> “I…I…I…” Anomen finally managed.

Aribeth : Eloquent as a knight should be. :D

> “Minsc understands,” the large man said in a sympathetic voice, patting

> Anomen on the shoulder. “He remembers what it was like after first getting

> his head wound. Well, at least Boo remembers, and he has told me.” He

> lovingly patted the furry creature sitting on his head. “Boo says that the

> world is probably very dis-or-enting right now, but that you should get

> plenty of rest and it will soon feel better. Getting a hamster might also

> help, thought there is only one Boo, and Minsc will not be parted from

> him. Boo also suggests basket weaving as a calming occupation.”

> “I…I…I…”

Laska : Heheheheh... Nice. Very nice.

> ”Just let Minsc know if you need help, and do not be sad about being

> simple. Minsc is simple too, but he has Boo to keep him company, and

> friends are what really matter. Would you like Minsc to be your friend?”

> “I…I…I…”

Vierna : That's a rare offer, Anomen.

> “Call me a 'little girl' do you?” the redhead went on, hissing with anger,

> and clenching her hands into fists. “Call me a coward? Well, I can fight

> either of you, any time! Shouldn't be much of a challenge, seeing as you

> barely have enough brain capacity to keep your bodies breathing without

> prompting. Only problem might be that the fact that you both have faces

> ugly enough to be mistaken for the rear end of a warthog with hemorrhoids

> might make me want to choke on my own vomit.”

> “Child,” the brunette said in a stern voice, pulling at the other woman's

> arm, “this is not a good time to do this sort of thing.”

Laska : HAH! I would have cut their buttocks off and rammed them up their noses at this point. :D

> Drawing their short swords, the two men approached, trying to circle

> around to attack the girl from either side. She is doomed , Anomen

> thought, a terrible sinking feeling in his stomach. She cannot possibly

> hope to prevail. The redhead smiled pleasantly, and side-stepped the

> clumsy swings of her opponents. Her smile widened even further, and then

> she…disappeared. In her place stood a terrible monster, a snake woman with

> green and glittering scales all along her naked torso, with cruel yellow

> eyes and a forked and flickering tongue. She hissed, baring sharp fangs

> dripping with poison, and the two men stopped in their tracks. Having

> exchanged a look, they shrieked loudly and took off so quickly that their

> feet hardly seemed to touch the ground.

> A Yuan-Ti! Anomen thought, reaching for his mace. How is it possible?

> She did not seem evil. Well, not very. Then the scales and fangs

> disappeared, and the woman resumed her normal appearance, looking

> extremely tired. She steadied herself against the wall as the brunette and

> the barbarian with the hamster rushed over, followed at a slower pace by

> the blonde elf and the roguish looking man.

Aribeth : Oh, nice trick. Just be careful not to do that in front of paladins. They might act before they think. :)

> “Never mind,” the redhead shortly said. “This is not the place to speak of

> such things. Anybody could be listening.” She then turned her head to see

> Anomen. “Speak of the ta'nari…don't you have a home of some kind,

> metal-boy? Some sort of legal guardian maybe?”

Laska : In other words : Is there someone who looks after you? :)

> “Fair lady,” he said, “what brings you to this cesspool of corruption?

> Dark danger lurks in every corner, and virtue is e'er threatened by those

> who would prey on the meek and innocent. Fortune smiles upon our meeting

> though, for I am Anomen, Warrior Priest of Helm, and a force dedicated to

> serving justice and righteousness. Should you desire to walk the path of

> virtue, my virtuous and strong arm will be lent to your protection.”

> Good, that's a good start. It shows politeness, a serious mind, and a

> willingness to be chivalrous and protective. Perhaps too many 'virtue'?

> No. You can't insert too many 'virtue', that is how true paladins talk.

Aribeth : *grows red with embarrasment* Good gods! Was I ever like that? :)

> It was therefore with some surprise that he saw the redhead roll her eyes

> skyward. “Why me?” she asked.

Laska : Nice!

Vierna : Poor Rini.

Aribeth : We loved the story!

---Laska, Vierna & Aribeth.

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#16 Laufey

Posted 15 November 2002 - 12:55 PM

> Heeeee! :D

> Laska : *to Weyoun* Okay, get outta here. We'll handle this comment!

LOL! Somehow, I predict that poor Ano will get mauled by three elves in the near future. ;)

> Laska : *Looking ready to confess she has romance novels in the outhouse,

> but doesn't really use them for reading :D*

Like Shrek? :)

> Vierna : Hey! Who's being indecent here?

Ano's good at double standards. :)

> Aribeth : I wouldn't trust a Helmite to be able to properly use a

> toilet-seat. :)

Oh, you may be surprised at some later date...

> Vierna : Well, there's very little chance of that.

Nil. :)

> Laska : WHOA! Fantasy clashes with the truth!

Oh yes... :D

>> Laska : HAH! I would have cut their buttocks off and rammed them up their

> noses at this point. :)

Rini: Well, you're more physical than I am, sis. Not to mention stronger. :)

> Laska : In other words : Is there someone who looks after you? :)

Yup. :)

>> Laska : Nice!

> Vierna : Poor Rini.

> Aribeth : We loved the story!

> ---Laska, Vierna & Aribeth.

Thanks very much, ladies! :D

In The Cards

#17 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 15 November 2002 - 01:23 PM

> Wow. There certainly aren't many on topic stories around this time, what

> the hell is going on. If I can can manage to write a story that is on

> topic i thought for sure that there would be dosens of stories, go figure.

> Anyway this little story was inspired by the "writers plight"

> stories by weyoun though i doubt that's it's equally insane.

> Hope you enjoy

I did!

> New Hobby

> The party of Vidran is standing in the throne of bhaal, having just

> sabotaged the second pool of bhaalspawn essence and defeated mellisan for

> the third time, they now spend some time complaining about their

> situation.

> Vidran: "I really think that he ought to get a new hobby"!

> Korgan: "AYE"!

> Viconia: "Absolutely"!

> Imoen: "You said it bro'"!

> Sarevok: "Finally a sensible word from your mouth brother, this fool

> is pathetic"!

> Jaheira: "He is not balanced, this will eventually turn out for the

> worse"!

> Viconia: "Eventually Druid"? "This iblith male has been

> doing nothing but tormenting us with this obsession of his for the last

> 11 months, why dosn't he just do what all other 23 year old european males

> do in their spare time".

Hmm, who could that be?

> Jahiera: "And what exactly would that be, drow"

> Sarevok: "You know it jaheira"! "Oogling at women, Shooting

> other peoples heads off at the local internet cafe, oogling at women,

> trying not to fail his university course, oogling at women, going to

> parties to actually talk to real life people , oogling at women, and of

> course:

What's he doing faffing about with that real life stuff? It's not worth it, real life sucks!

> "Telling a certain female on the attic that she needs to get

> herself a boyfriend…"*

(snort) who exactly would that be?

> Imoen: "In short, he needs to get himself a life".

> Vidran: "I think that goes without saying". "HEY UP THERE,

> CAN YOU HEAR THIS".

> Hunter: "Yes, what is it now ".

> Vidran: GET A LIFE YOU LOSER!

> Hunter: Oh Shut up .

> Korgan: "Matey, if it weren't fer this “mouse magic” that makes me do

> your bidding, i'd come out off the screen an' plant me axe in yer

> skull".

Hmm, has he been chatting to Eddie?

> Hunter: They're talking to me in my head, this is becoming serious .

> (sigh)

Join the club...I've had characters nattering at me for years.

> Viconia: "I don't think that he has much of a life, i mean, he spends

> his time studying animals that has been dead for so long that their bones

> have been turned into stone, what kind of life is that".

> Imoen: "At least he could try to play something different for a

> change, he's completed the game six times since last november for bhaal's

> sake". "It's becoming tedious".

Good God! I certainly haven't managed that!

> Viconia: "Truly wise words from your mouth dalninil"! "And

> why is it that he has been playing with my romance three times, i'm a

> drow for heavens sake, i'm tired of repeating these stupid romance talks

> over and over".

> Vidran: "i'm not tired of hearing them".

LOL!

> Viconia: "Of course not sinssrig, but you're a PC so you are

> basically just an extension of his personality".

So, Vicky's your favourite?

> Vidran: (totally speechless for a second). "Has that female from the

> attic been giving you lessons on how to insult me personally or

> what".

Hmm, is that me again? ;) Why in italics?

> Viconia: (Smiles smugly)

> Jaheira: "You think that you have it bad drow"? "Every

> time he starts the game anew i have to see my poor husbands dead body,

> tortured beyond ressurection, and he just thinks that it's a great

> conversation, that bastard".

> Sarevok: "Yeah and, oh… i think that the next battle is coming up,

> it's that fallen solar again, urgh".

> Whole group: "Lets just get this over with".

> Imoen: "Just let me handle this people".

> (The fallen solar and it's minions is storming towards the party, when

> suddenly, imoen freezes time and proceeds to cats two times Dragon's

> breath and one horrid wilting.)

Oh, I love timestop and agressive spells! Wish there was an area effect remove magical resistance, though...

> Ten seconds later…

> Vidran: "Wow, that was… effective".

> Korgan: "Yeah, instant barbecue. Hey! have you ever wondered what a

> grilled demon tastes like…

No, and I don't want to know!

> In the meantime mellisan is hanging suspended in the middle of the throne

> contemplating her own stupidity.

> "Why did i ever apply for this job"? "It'll be

> easy", they said at bioware. "You're gonna be an all powerfull

> demigod with an abyssal realm at your command, mortals are goint to bow to

> you and kiss your feet". "The only thing that stands between you

> and total control is a bunch of puny adventurers, what more could you

> want". "Puny adventurers, pfeh" . "I don't have a

> single chance against them, no matter what i do, no matter what i try,

> they always chop me up, it's not funny anymore" .

That's what happens when you're the villain.

> "And of course those biowarians didn't say that i might be bought by

> this kind of fanatic" . "Six times, he has completed the game

> six times, and i end up being chopped to pieces every time and, oh

> no"! "They've killed the solar again, now they come to kill me

> again". “sobs”

(cough) I've never managed that final ToB fight without using cheats...it's impossible if you have a group of spellcasters.

> (crying like a little child) "I don't wanna do this anymore".

Awwww!

> Later…

> Hunter: "I have Completed the throne for the six'th time" .

> "Without using the wish spell to rest my group and replenish my

> spells" .

How the hell did you do it??

> "Having never used more than ten seconds to defeat mellisan"

> "None of my party were more than slightly injured"

> "Without quicksaving" "In the first attempt"

> "And i'm writing this kind of story" "Perhaps i do need

> a new hobby".

Heheh, you do! Try growing orchids. It's very satisfying.

Glorious Train Wrecks

#18 Guest_Dashael_*

Posted 15 November 2002 - 01:34 PM

> Poor kid...

Yup, but this story would have been very dull had he been a well adjusted sort ;)

> Not good...

In the end it's all good :)

> Scary.

Yup. Mama's a badass :D

> Nice ending.

Thankyou, I'm glad you liked it.

Dashael

My Portfolio @ Stories.com

#19 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 15 November 2002 - 01:34 PM

> *shudders* That's horrible...

I know it is, but no worse than severing him from the Elven Spirit and making him rot alive for centuries. At least this punishment was quick (relatively as it may have took weeks/months of real time for him, depending on how many did he kill/torture to death himself)and resulted in healing rather than slow rotting death.

> It sure is.

> I can imagine.

> Oh Korgan!

> *laughs*

> Yes Edwin, I'm sure that you would have. ;)

> Great dialogues. I really liked Viconia's and Minsc's. :)

I thought Viconia's was rather wicked, but loved it myself nontheless. I could not stop laughing when writing it.

Would you like to beta test the Redemption? It has very cool cutscenes :D It is ok if you don't, just tell me if you do.

The Story of a Girl without a Name

#20 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 15 November 2002 - 01:58 PM

> Many will argue that she was avenging the hundreds of elves slain in his

> attempt of seizing the Tree powers, but I think she is just control freak

> and was showing him what it means to cross her.

Agreed about the control freak part, and I think if soul stealing is such an unforgivable crime it is very peculiar idea that it would be OK for a 'good' leader to use it as a form of punishment. Especially as it creates a dangerous psychopath - an incredibly powerful genius with no true emotions, conscience or capasity of compassion or remorse.

I don't buy it, no. Ellesime is either cruel, stupid or both.

> Hmm. Somehow I felt very

> bad about her from the start and continue so. The fact that the Seldarine

> went along with that crazy plan was unbelievable. The Gods should have

> known better.

I have always considered it a weak point in the plot. How could THEY be so stupid?

> Than again - she used her influence over her grand dad, and

> Rillifane Rallathil could be pretty ruthless when it cometh to punishing

> the tree-killer. That is why I used Corellon Larethian himself in

> reversing the verdict.

That is a good way to make it make some sense.

> Nod. I do remember that part! Travel through the planes - it was my

> favorite. ;)

Thanks!

Road of redemption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com