Photo

Through the Looking Glass (on topic, woo hoo)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anaviel

Posted 10 December 2002 - 01:18 AM

I'm actually posting an on topic story for once ;) . This story has been swimming around in my head since the quiz started. It's not my usual style, but I don't think any other way would've worked. Anyhoo this is a bit of an experiment. Any and all comments and criticism are welcome.

I am almost home. As I peer through the looking glass, I gaze at the city, at the decrepit buildings with their missing shudders and roofs rotted with mold until they’re near collapse. Children splash in the mud, laughing. How I wish I could laugh. People scamper about like ants with beating down on them. There is nothing I would not give to be able to see the sun again. I have walked on the plane of Bytopia, swam in the Plane of Water, dodged demons in the Abyss and yet here I am trapped within this infernal sphere, in a body that is no longer mine. A fitting punishment, I suppose, to be trapped within myself, within a body possessed by a force that thrives on my ambitions. Perhaps in preventing its escape, I can redeem myself. I have had too much time to think, to regret.

My family sacrificed to fuel my obsession. I killed them, murdered them. Their blood has kept me alive for the past five hundred centuries. I can still hear their shrill screams, like banshees, as I stole their lives adding them to my own. But how else was I to complete my sphere with it’s silver out shell and careful mechanisms. The boiler room sits below me. It is a gathering place for fire elemental with bodies of crackling flame, for salamanders and mephits, even an efreeti makes his home there. Another room is frozen with icicles hanging from the ceiling like glass. Only the ice salamanders, snow trolls, and ice mephits that have claimed that room could ever find it hospitable. At one time I was their master. I experimented with them, used them to create protection for traveling the planes.

They thought I was insane to take on such a project. Perhaps I was and still am. I can see my family’s blood dripping from the ceiling, running in tear like streams down the walls. But I finished the sphere, even if I had to live off of stolen lives to use it. Then I encountered it as I traveled the planes, a force I was not equipped to deal with. It started as a voice pounding at the back of my head. Power, it whispered. Immortality, it whispered. Blood, it whispered. And I listened to it, indulged it. The force possessed me. Perhaps I brought it on myself through my foolish ambitions. But it does not see. I cannot let it escaped, even as I am trapped within myself. Does it even know that I exist, that I pull subtle strings to prevent its escape, to prevent it from divulging ever secret I built into this planar prison? To it I am dead, killed when it took control over me, when it became me. It laughs. I am nothing to it.

The door to the sphere has opened. I can sense him coming. Perhaps he, my descendant can put and end to it, to me. That would be justice, if there were such a thing. The end of a curse I created, of an evil that is I. The sphere is moving; it shakes and quivers. A mechanism I built long ago, but had forgotten about till now. The entity paces about the control panel, waiting for the door to flee open. I am anxious as well, but for reasons that are my own.

I smile, or would if I was in control. He has brought others. It watches and so do I. A half-elven druid walks behind him. She seems to enjoy voicing her displeasure. There is man in red dragon scale armor, the symbol of helm hung around his neck. It appears they are bickering about something. Do they even realize what danger they are in? In the shadows ahead of them, a rogue in dark leather armor searches for traps with his katana ready. There is a large bald man with tattoos on his face and a large sword strapped to his back. He feeds his hamster, seemingly oblivious to anything else. A half-elven girl with sandy colored hair and a sword at her side flips through a book. What is she, mage or warrior? Or both? There is darkness about her; something I can sense but cannot put my finger on. Then there is my descendant wearing armor that has been in the family for generations. He look scans his surroundings, his gaze like that of a hawk.

The door to the control room opens and they rush in. Arrows and blades all pointed at it, at me. “You!” it yells. “You are the ones who have caused the sphere to travel once again. Fools, I was close to escaping.” Its words are lemons on my tongue. They hurl their weapons and spells at me and I feel every wound, every cut, and every jolt of magic lightening as though I was control. My descendant slashes at me, blind rage behind his eyes. It is weakened, this my chance. Perhaps now I can regain control.

I blink. Who is that standing above me? My vision is blurry. It does not matter; the force is gone, or perhaps just suppressed hiding in my mind as I did. My head feels like it’s spinning and I have forgotten everything. “Where am I? That force that possessed me is gone?” My voice is weak and shaky

He glares at me and holds his katana to my throat. “Is this some manner of trick?” Do I look as though I have the strength for tricks, or the inclination?

“Who might you be?” I ask, squinting up at him. All I can make out is a pair of eyes and dark skin. “I can barely see you.”

“I am your descendant, Lavok,” he says, spitting my names as though trying to rid himself of a foul taste. “I am Valygar Corthala, and I will not allow you to take my body to extend your life. Since you yet live, I shall end it now!” The memories come back in a flood washing through my mind. Lavok, I remember that name. It was mine once. So this is how I shall end.

“Corthala? Yes, I remember now. I am dying, Valygar Corthala, of that you can be certain. Nothing would bring me greater relief.” I have lived too long, hurt too many. Three hundred years spent tormenting my family, two hundred trapped within myself. And for what? The sphere?

He steps back. No doubt I am not what he had expected. What ever stories he has heard, they most likely true. “I warn you necromancer,” he says, “I shall not be fooled.”

“Nor do I intend to fool you, young one. I have been imprisoned in my own mind by that strange force for half an eternity. Death would be a blessing.” A blessing that I have wished for since I encountered the force, yet it was denied to me.

Still my descendant looks skeptical. “Are you trying to tell me that you are not evil? That you are not the sorcerer who preyed upon his own family as a ghoul would, whose legacy has haunted my family always?” His words are true. I would change everything, had I the ability to role back the clocks of time.

“No, no, I am he. I am all those things and more. I have spent half an eternity keeping that force from prying the secrets of the sphere from my mind. I could not unleash it upon... my home.” Keeping in locked up was my redemption, my retribution. “Thank you for ending its existence.”

His tone remains harsh. “And this should redeem you for all you have done? I say it is a fitting punishment.” He is right on both accounts. Maybe I had only deluded myself to thinking I have been or could be redeemed.

“Indeed it is. I have had years of pain and anguish to regret what I have done. I can offer nothing but my sorrow if I have brought you pain.” I try to smile, but cannot. “If could call it all back, if could convince the man I once was that the sphere was a mission of pride doomed to failure.” But it was not a failure, though the price was too steep. I sigh. “But I cannot.” There is only thing I have a desire to do before I let go. “I would ask one thing of you, Valygar Corthala, although I know you have no reason to grant it to me.”

“I…I don’t ..” he stutters, unsure of what to make of me. I would be unsure of what to make of me. “What would you ask me?”

“I would wish to see the sky of my homeworld one final time. To be at peace, knowing that I have died in the place I was born so long ago I am dying...and I wish to die there. Under my own sun.” I smile. “In return...in return I shall tell you how to return the sphere to our own plane. I...I am glad that you entered the sphere when you did.” I tell him about the trap that had caused the sphere to travel when they entered, how I had tucked it away in the recesses of my mind.

He narrows his eyes. “This is not a trick?”

“It is no trick, my descendant. I have no strength left for tricks, nor any desire. I humbly beg it of you.” There was a time when the thought of begging sickened me, but I am not so proud any more.

“You are not the man I had expected, Lavok. I shall do as you ask,” he says. I tell him the way home, of the demon heart required to fuel the sphere. He nods. His expression remains unchanged. Perhaps he has no fear of demons, neither did I when I was young and foolish.

He and his party leave. I set the control and wait for the sphere to return home, to see my sky once more.
Crazy? I used to be crazy. Then they put me in a white room. Then I died then they put me in a box with worms. Worms drive me crazy.
Crazy? I used to be crazy....

#2 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 10 December 2002 - 07:29 AM

I'm actually posting an on topic story for once :) . This story has been swimming around in my head since the quiz started. It's not my usual style, but I don't think any other way would've worked. Anyhoo this is a bit of an experiment. Any and all comments and criticism are welcome.

Good description of lavok, i always thought that valygars quest was on eof the best in the game.

Hunter

#3 Guest_Winski Perorate_*

Posted 10 December 2002 - 04:42 PM

I am almost home. As I peer through the looking glass, I gaze at the city, at the decrepit buildings with their missing shudders and roofs rotted with mold until they’re near collapse. Children splash in the mud, laughing. How I wish I could laugh. People scamper about like ants with beating down on them. There is nothing I would not give to be able to see the sun again. I have walked on the plane of Bytopia, swam in the Plane of Water, dodged demons in the Abyss and yet here I am trapped within this infernal sphere, in a body that is no longer mine. A fitting punishment, I suppose, to be trapped within myself, within a body possessed by a force that thrives on my ambitions. Perhaps in preventing its escape, I can redeem myself. I have had too much time to think, to regret.

So he comes to appreciate the 'small and insignifigant' things like sun, laughter and ordinary people.

Bytopia is quite nice, though... but I doubt we will move back there.
Jelena: "Well, Meer can keep my house."

My family sacrificed to fuel my obsession. I killed them, murdered them. Their blood has kept me alive for the past five hundred centuries.

No wonder he feels regrets.

His tone remains harsh. “And this should redeem you for all you have done? I say it is a fitting punishment.” He is right on both accounts. Maybe I had only deluded myself to thinking I have been or could be redeemed.

Well, he has had a lot of time to think on what he has done. And done the right thing he could in the circumstances. For the wrongs already committed, he can offer nothing but his sorrow.

“It is no trick, my descendant. I have no strength left for tricks, nor any desire. I humbly beg it of you.” There was a time when the thought of begging sickened me, but I am not so proud any more.

Begging is sickening in general, but sometimes there is a reason to be humble.

Sarevok: "I have begged once in my adult life. Of my own free will. It didn't sicken me at all. But I doubt it will happen many times again."

#4 Anaviel

Posted 10 December 2002 - 09:43 PM

Good description of lavok, i always thought that valygars quest was on eof the best in the game.

Thanks :) Glad you liked it. Valygar's quest was one of the most interesting, I think. :)
Crazy? I used to be crazy. Then they put me in a white room. Then I died then they put me in a box with worms. Worms drive me crazy.

#5 Anaviel

Posted 10 December 2002 - 09:56 PM

So he comes to appreciate the 'small and insignifigant' things like sun, laughter and ordinary people.

Yeah, might have something to do with the fact that he can't experience them anymore...being trapped in the sphere and all. :wink:

Bytopia is quite nice, though... but I doubt we will move back there.
Jelena: "Well, Meer can keep my house."

Yes, I Imagine it is :)

No wonder he feels regrets.

I know I would..

Well, he has had a lot of time to think on what he has done. And done the right thing he could in the circumstances. For the wrongs already committed, he can offer nothing but his sorrow.

Exactly...but he still doubts himself :wink:

Begging is sickening in general, but sometimes there is a reason to be humble.

Yeah...but in this case I he didn't have much choice but to beg. :wink:

Sarevok: "I have begged once in my adult life. Of my own free will. It didn't sicken me at all. But I doubt it will happen many times again."

No, Sarevok, I can't picture you as the begging type. :)

Thanks for the comments :lol:

#6 Weyoun

Posted 10 December 2002 - 10:11 PM

Oooh, great opening!

My family sacrificed to fuel my obsession. I killed them, murdered them. Their blood has kept me alive for the past five hundred centuries. I can still hear their shrill screams, like banshees, as I stole their lives adding them to my own. But how else was I to complete my sphere with it’s silver out shell and careful mechanisms. The boiler room sits below me. It is a gathering place for fire elemental with bodies of crackling flame, for salamanders and mephits, even an efreeti makes his home there. Another room is frozen with icicles hanging from the ceiling like glass. Only the ice salamanders, snow trolls, and ice mephits that have claimed that room could ever find it hospitable. At one time I was their master. I experimented with them, used them to create protection for traveling the planes.

Ah, I think I know who this is. :)

They thought I was insane to take on such a project. Perhaps I was and still am. I can see my family’s blood dripping from the ceiling, running in tear like streams down the walls. But I finished the sphere, even if I had to live off of stolen lives to use it. Then I encountered it as I traveled the planes, a force I was not equipped to deal with. It started as a voice pounding at the back of my head. Power, it whispered. Immortality, it whispered. Blood, it whispered. And I listened to it, indulged it. The force possessed me. Perhaps I brought it on myself through my foolish ambitions. But it does not see. I cannot let it escaped, even as I am trapped within myself. Does it even know that I exist, that I pull subtle strings to prevent its escape, to prevent it from divulging ever secret I built into this planar prison? To it I am dead, killed when it took control over me, when it became me. It laughs. I am nothing to it.

I don't know... I kinda respect a person who can built a starship in his own backyard. :)

“Indeed it is. I have had years of pain and anguish to regret what I have done. I can offer nothing but my sorrow if I have brought you pain.” I try to smile, but cannot. “If could call it all back, if could convince the man I once was that the sphere was a mission of pride doomed to failure.” But it was not a failure, though the price was too steep. I sigh. “But I cannot.” There is only thing I have a desire to do before I let go. “I would ask one thing of you, Valygar Corthala, although I know you have no reason to grant it to me.”

Tragic for both men, really. Valygar has hated the wrong person all his life and Lavok has been enslaved so long...

“You are not the man I had expected, Lavok. I shall do as you ask,” he says. I tell him the way home, of the demon heart required to fuel the sphere. He nods. His expression remains unchanged. Perhaps he has no fear of demons, neither did I when I was young and foolish.

He and his party leave. I set the control and wait for the sphere to return home, to see my sky once more.

Great story,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#7 Anaviel

Posted 10 December 2002 - 10:23 PM

Oooh, great opening!

I don't know... I kinda respect a person who can built a starship in his own backyard. :)

It would certainly take alot of talent :wink:

Tragic for both men, really. Valygar has hated the wrong person all his life and Lavok has been enslaved so long...

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be in either of their positions.

Great story,
---Weyoun

Thanks, glad you liked it :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com