No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 09 December 2002 - 06:34 PM

Dialogue #15

Party must be outdoors in city

1. Keldorn: There. Do you see them?

A. What? Where? => 2

B. Shut up, I’m busy. => 10

2. Keldorn: Can’t you see? Those people over there- they are laughing at me!

A. Ok, this is weirding me out. => 3

B. I think one of them just told a joke, actually. => 4

C. We have a nutbag in the party, great. => 11

3. Keldorn: If you mean to suggest I am imagining things, I am not, and I do not appreciate your doubts! => 4

4. Keldorn: They were, Charname, they were laughing at me, the cuckolded paladin! The news has spread, as I knew it would. I am the subject of hilarity throughout Faerun! How DARE they!

A. I think I can see where this is coming from, now...I doubt the rumours have spread already, though. => 5

B. I still think you’re imagining it, but it’d do you good to talk through your feelings. => 5

C. This is becoming rather scary now. => 11

5. Keldorn: I...you are right, my friend. Maria’s unfaithfulness gnaws at my gut night and day until I think of nothing else. I am starting at shadows, I have no peace nor rest now. I...have nothing. I have only this group and...yes. Well.

A. And what? => 6

B. If you had taken the last few days well, I think I’d be more worried about you. => 7

6. Keldorn: Nothing. Forget I spoke. It matters not. => 8

7. Keldorn: Wise words, indeed. I wish I could draw more comfort from them. => 8

8. Keldorn: I find the humiliation the hardest part to bear, is that not odd? My wife has left me, I shall never see my daughters again, and I find myself snarling at the humiliation above all. And...I have no one but myself to blame, do I?

A. I think you were a victim of circumstance. You were only trying to do your best. => 9

B. Maybe in part, but a lot of it was bad luck. Very bad luck! => 9

C. Yes, you left your wife on her own for months and years at a time, not giving her the attention she needed, what did you expect to happen? => 12

9. Keldorn: (sighs) I only wish I could agree. I see my blame all too clearly in this matter. It was my actions that drove her into the arms of Sir William, my actions that k...killed him. I see no way to atone, no path back to the light and righteousness. You...you were right, though, I was not being laughed at by those good folks, at all. (dialogue ends)

10. Keldorn: Very well then, Charname, I shall not bother you with my inane chatter again, since it matters so little to you! (dialogue ends, romance ends)

11. Keldorn: So, you think I am a lunatic, do you? How dare you! I am as sane today as I was yesterday, and the day before! I shall no longer discuss this with you, you are obviously lacking in any understanding or decency! (dialogue ends, romance ends)

12. Keldorn: I...agree. It is all my own fault. Perhaps it is right that I should suffer so, it is my punishment from Torm for my wrongdoings. Maybe...maybe through prayer and suffering, I can gain his favour again. I shall be silent now, Charname, I have a lot of thinking to do. (dialogue ends, romance ends)

Dialogue #16

1. Keldorn: Could...could we rest for a while? I feel I have travelled far enough today...

A. We’ve only just started today’s journey! How can you be tired already? => 2

B. You look terrible! You’re pale and you look tired out. What’s the matter? => 2

C. Sounds to me like you’re getting too old for this adventuring lark. => 12

2. Keldorn: To be honest, I have slept and eaten little the past few days, my friend. The mere thought of eating turns my stomach, and I am wracked with worry that will not quieten at night. I...cannot bear this life any more. Every day is simply another burden, every night another chance for my mind to torture itself. Do you know what it is like to have the whole world turned grey and hopeless?

A. No, I have never felt like that. I think I’m glad, too. => 3

B. Yes...when Gorion died, I felt just like that. It took a long time for me to feel normal again, but I did, eventually...=> 4

3. Keldorn: You are fortunate not to have ever experienced this. => 5

4. Keldorn: I can sympathise. Gorion’s death must have been a great loss to you- to find yourself suddenly shoved into an alien world. You must have had no solid ground to rely on, no one to turn to, as well. => 5

5. Keldorn: I know it will pass, eventually. I have felt like this once before, when I was a squire. It passed then, though it took many years and the pain will never fully leave me, I don’t think.

A. What happened then? => 6

B. I really don’t want to hear your life history right now. => 11

6. Keldorn: I was new to the Order at the time, though I had high hopes of one day becoming an honoured paladin. I was one among many squires, all hopeful, all ambitious. There was a great spirit of camaraderie among the squires- we trained together, served together, fought together.

It has to be said I never entirely fitted in. I was younger than many there, because I developed my talents as a fighter early, and earned my place among the squires at an earlier age than average. I was on the edge of the group, not quite an outsider, but close.

I was not alone, though. There was another young squire, only a year older than I. Jethry Silbanif was his name. Faced with the older recruits, we quickly became friends, the best friends there have ever been.

Of course, as time went on, we went from being the youngest squires to being among the older, gaining experience. Jethry and I always worked together as a team, fighting side by side. The prelate recognised this, and assigned us together on campaigns when possible.

We were nearing our Tests, when we were sent to investigate a Drow incursion. It was a Drow Blooding ritual, their unholy rite of passage to adulthood.

Most of the Drow were young, inexperienced, and they were easily beaten back to their Underdark lairs. However, one eluded our blades, and thrust her dark blade into Jethry’s back.

I can remember his quiet sigh as the knife penetrated him. The Drow fled before I could revenge Jethry. I caught him, and saw him smile wearily, blood trickling from his mouth. He died in my arms, Charname.

From then on, I was friendless, I had only the Order. I passed the Test easily, becoming a full paladin. I filled my life with fighting evil, and tried to forget.

A. That sounds terrible. You must have been utterly miserable. => 7

B. It sounds you used the Order to stop yourself mourning. => 10

7. Keldorn: Time is no healer, my friend. The wounds are just as deep now as they ever were. Perhaps I think of them less, but I will always remember Jethry. You remind me of him in some ways, in fact. He was also tenacious, stubborn, and unwilling to give in, ever. I...dread you coming to a similar end as he.

A. I don’t intend to die just yet! => 8

B. Well, I’m still alive right now. If you worry too much about the future, you lose the present. => 9

8. Keldorn: I’m glad to hear that! Come, let us continue. There is little point in resting- it will make no difference to me whether we move or stay. (dialogue ends)

9. Keldorn: There is some truth in that, Charname. Perhaps...perhaps I worry too much about what is to come. Perhaps I would be best dealing with the here and now. Come, let us continue- resting or moving will make no difference to my exhaustion, after all. (dialogue ends)

10. Keldorn: You could be right. The Order is...has been...no, is...my whole life. It has dominated my thoughts for years. Perhaps it is time I thought about other things as well. => 6

11. Keldorn: What makes you think I would share it with one so impolite and impatient? I have better things to do with my time than reminiscing with one as heartless as you, Charname! (dialogue ends, romance ends)

12. Keldorn: I would like to think not, I have little else to do in this world, now. I have received many wounds in my time, but my current tiredness has little to do with past injuries- physical ones, anyway. => 2

Dialogue #17

1. Keldorn: You know, it is strange, but I find myself thinking less and less of my Lady Maria these days. I miss my fine daughters every day, but my wife? Hardly at all. How odd.

A. I don’t think it’s strange, not really. It’s not like you were inseparable. => 2

B. Admit it, you never really loved her at all! => 4

C. You’ve treated that poor woman appallingly, abandoned her for months at a time and ruined her chance of happiness. Don’t you think she deserves to be remembered? => 6

2. Keldorn: How dare you, you...no, your words are bitter gall, but I cannot deny it, can I? I left her alone far too often, since the Order needed me so much. I look back, though, and wonder: Did the Order really need me to maintain quarters in the Temple District, rather than return home in the evenings?

A. You mean the Order kept you away from home on purpose? => 3

B. You can’t blame the Order for your own shortcomings. => 3

3. Keldorn: The Order isn’t to blame, no. I think...I think...I deliberately stayed away. I did...not want to go home! The Order...was a convenient excuse. => 5

4. Keldorn: No, maybe...maybe I did not. I...do not know any more. => 5

5. Keldorn: Unlike many noble marriages, my marriage to Maria was not an arranged one. We had been friends for many years. I was an established paladin of the Order, and there is an unwritten rule that paladins must marry. It gives stability, it is thought, and maturity. Hmph, the fact that most knights cannot give a family the attention it deserves is not considered, it seems! That is one of the Order’s many, many faults....

So, Maria and I liked each other well enough, and so we were married. I always enjoyed her company, and our children were a constant delight to me. To bring new life into the world, to see them grow and learn, it is a joy like no other.

But, was it love? I...do not know. I thought it was, at the time, but we are all adept at lying to ourselves, are we not? Perhaps those in the Order are most adept of all....

(dialogue ends)

6. Keldorn: No, no, I say! It is not like that at all! I never abandoned her...did I? Maybe so, Charname, maybe so. She deserved a better lot in life than she got with me. I hope she finds happiness in her new life her and her...child. => 5

Dialogue #18

1. Keldorn: I was wondering if I could bend your ear for a moment, my friend.

A. Certainly, what is it? => 2

B. Well, ok then....=> 2

C. Not more of your insane babblings, please! => 7

2. Keldorn: I just wanted to thank you. I know that over the last few days I have not been the best company. Yet, you have listened patiently and given me advice I treasure. How strange- I thought, when we first met, I would have a lot to teach you. It seems that you have taught me a great deal- about life, about what is truly valuable.

A. Well, I’m flattered, thank you! => 3

B. It wasn’t really deliberate. I thought there was a good chance you’d lop my head off if I didn’t agree with you. => 5

3. Keldorn: I mean every word. I have compared you to my old lamented friend, Jethry. Perhaps that comparison is not fair, though. I shall never forget him, but in many ways you outshine him- your bold spirit, your ability to grasp life for all it’s worth. You have taken the Bhaal spirit within you, and used it, not repressed it.

A. I think of you as a friend, too. => 4

B. You may be frighteningly erratic at times, but I can’t help liking you too! => 6

C. Oh, puh-lease! Bhaal is a nuisance, but you beat him hands down for irritation value! => 8

4. Keldorn: I, I am glad to hear that. We have been together only a little time, but in that time, I have come to admire you greatly. For sure, we cannot fail in our quest- glory awaits! (dialogue ends)

5. Keldorn: Ha! I do not agree, of course, but, well, you know how to bring a little light and laughter into this knight’s grim life. I realise I have not been the best company over recent days, but you have been steadfast and loyal, as Jethry would have been. I shall never forget him, but in many ways you outshine him- your bold spirit, your ability to grasp life for all it’s worth. You have taken the Bhaal spirit within you, and used it, not repressed it.

A. I think of you as a friend, too. => 4

B. You may be frighteningly erratic at times, but I can’t help liking you too! => 6

C. Oh, puh-lease! Bhaal is nothing but a nuisance, but you beat him hands down for irritation value! => 8

6. Keldorn: Alright, yes, I know I have been...unwell...recently. Am I feeling better? Hmph, slightly, I suppose, and far more quickly than I should. I cannot say why that is, it seems odd to me. Can it be that life is happier, when stripped to its bare essentials? Whatever, we shall continue, side by side, to your destiny, and glory! (dialogue ends)

7. Keldorn: Babblings, are they? Very well, charname, I shall keep my twisted rantings to myself in future, and bother you no more! (dialogue ends, romance ends)

8. Keldorn: How dare you compare me with that dead God! Huh, since you find me so irritating, let us part ways, and annoy each other no more! (dialogue ends, romance ends, Keldorn leaves)

Dialogue #19

Just before resting

1. Keldorn: DAMN IT ALL TO THE ABYSS!!

A. Wh...what is it? You woke me up! => 2

B. Great. That’s the second time you’ve yelled in my ear recently. Now you’ve bust my other eardrum. => 2

C. Something the matter? => 2

2. Keldorn: I can’t sleep! Night after night after night, I just lie here, my head full of grief and woe! I am exhausted, I feel dead inside. When will it end, Charname, WHEN WILL IT END?!

A. I thought you had been feeling better. => 3

B. I’m sure we can find a magical store that stocks sleeping potions...=> 8

C. Oh, be quiet, I need my beauty sleep. => 9

3. Keldorn: When I am active, when I have something to distract me, when the enemy is obvious, then I can feel more like myself...but at night, at night I am alone- with my thoughts. They tumble round and round and I get no rest. Where did it all go wrong? Could things have turned out differently? What...what hope do I have, now? These questions, endless questions. And I have no answers...

A. Well, you’ve woken me up now. You might as well sit down and talk it through tonight. => 4

B. Maybe I can help you find those answers, we could talk for a while. => 4

C. I hate seeing you like this...perhaps a hug would help... => 7

4. Keldorn: N..no, I cannot stay here, I cannot!

A. Why not? => 5

B. (wis over 14) I think I know already, but tell me why not, anyway. => 5

C. Ok, have it your own way. Goodnight! => 9

5. Keldorn: I...I...I can’t tell you. No, I cannot! (sighs) No, maybe I should, I think I shall find no rest until I do.

What I...feel for you is, is more than friendship, Charname. It is my shame, my greatest and darkest secret. Can you ever forgive me? It is wrong, it is...deviant!

I have mentioned my friend Jethry before. We were...more than friends. No, that is not quite right. We were only friends, we could have been so much more...

When Jethry and I were together, we were happy, as carefree as two young squires of the Order can be. If he was there, I could survive anything, battle anything. We were happy to be together, a breathless happiness I had never felt before, and never since. I felt complete when he was there. We fitted together, we were partners, forever.

Then...he died. The pain, it was like a silent scream in my mind, such despair...I remember him looking up at me with bright glazed eyes, smiling with a bitter joy. He whispered to me with his last breath, asked me to kiss him. I remember the taste of blood on my lips, and his quiet sigh as the life fled him. But most of all, I remember the hideous realisation, what we both had lost, what we had never found.

We could have been so much more than friends, but I only realised in the last few seconds we had together. Such bitter irony...

You may asked how we did not realise our l...love. Such relationships are frowned upon by the Order. I thought it was...perverse. I refused to recognise what my feelings towards Jethry truly were, just as he did not admit them until his dying day. Even if he had lived, our commitment to the Order would have been of priority. We would never have been more than...friends.

Oh, Charname, can you ever forgive me? I said you reminded me of Jethry, and you do- not because you are like him, really, but because I feel the same way about you. I am attracted to you, Charname, it is a miraculous, wonderful agony to be in your company, a daily torture, a daily joy!

A. Forgive you? There is nothing to be forgiven. I feel the same way about you- you are more than a friend to me, too, much more. You don’t have to leave me alone tonight, if you don’t want... => 6

B. Ahhh! Run away! => 10

C. I am really sorry to hear about Jethry, but I’m afraid you’ll never be more than a friend to me. => 10

6. Keldorn: You...you do? I never thought such a thing was possible! Such happiness amidst such sorrow, how can it be? Perhaps...perhaps we can have this one night, together. I have suffered enough recently, why should I not snatch some happiness? My morals say no, but my heart says yes, and I have listened so often to my morals in my many years, and what has that achieved? Tomorrow, our struggles begin anew, but tonight- tonight, let us forget, together... (dialogue ends, set romance to 2[this is just an internal game tag, the romance continues])

7. Keldorn: NO! Absolutely n..not!

A. Why not? => 5

B. (wis over 14) I think I know already, but tell me why not, anyway. => 5

C. Ok, have it your own way. Goodnight! => 9

8. Keldorn: It is tempting, my friend, but what solution is knocking one’s self out? My lack of sleep is not a medical problem. At night I am alone- with my thoughts. They tumble round and round and I get no rest. Where did it all go wrong? Could things have turned out differently? What...what hope do I have, now? These questions, endless questions. And I have no answers...

A. Well, you’ve woken me up now. You might as well sit down and talk it through. => 4

B. Maybe I can help you find those answers, we could talk for a while. => 4

C. I hate seeing you like this...perhaps a hug would help... => 7

9. Keldorn: So selfish, Charname? Yes, yes, I should have guessed you would be. What does it matter to you, how another suffers? Well, from now on, I no longer care if you suffer, either- do not expect me to watch out for you in our next battle. If you get stabbed, you have only yourself to blame! (dialogue ends, romance ends)

10. Keldorn: I understand your reaction entirely. I would not have expected anything else. I am ashamed of my feelings, I am ashamed of...what I am. Let us speak of this no more. (dialogue ends, romance ends).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com