When Genders Collide: Part 4

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 03 October 2002 - 04:45 PM

Before we start, I'll just mention that I've included a link to the first story of this sequence, A Familiar Find, below, just in case you've had difficulty finding it.

An Enjoyable Partnership: When Genders Collide

Part Four

Feredain rode along the packed gravel road to the de'Arnise estate. She rode sidesaddle, head held high, her cloak and robes streaming out behind her gracefully, the golden sunset staining the cloth a deeper scarlet. The horse was a strong bay gelding, with the deep chest and thin legs of a fine racing horse. Feredain had paid a large amount of gold for it; gold did not matter. Power, and catching the Odesseiron, did. And yet…

Yet, at times like this, when she rode a galloping horse, or when she travelled in a fast carriage, she was filled with an old longing, almost an homesickness. Part of her wished to be carried on powerful white wings, gliding high above the dull earth, over glittering landscapes of crystal and bright light, in a land where magic was manifest and the air was wine. Yet, she was doomed, cursed, even, to walk the dull earth, to crawl upon its surface for the rest of her existence.

She shook her head. Humans always wanted the unobtainable. Of course, human was not the correct word here…she had been brought up as a human, always treated as a human, but…

“Good morning, my Lady,” The guard on the gate saluted her, but then, to her satisfaction, took a trembling step back when Feredain looked down at him. “What i…is your business in de'Arnise Keep?”

“I wish to speak to the Lady Nalia de'Arnise.” Feredain leapt off the horse and landed on the ground in a fluid movement, her red robe billowing around her.

“She is, um, indisposed.” He said, looking up at her. He spoke woodenly, obviously reciting a previously prepared script. “But her, er, cousin, Lord Nalian, is currently receiving guests. Should I see if he is available?”

“Please do.”

Edwina and Nalian were lounging in the Keep's drawing room. Edwina was sitting in a well padded armchair, idly reading a book, and Nalian was studying his reflection in the huge mirror that hung over the fireplace. He had tied his hair back, reasoning that his long braided hair looked slightly more masculine that way. He was heartily sick of the hopeful crowd that gathered around him whenever he visited Athkatla, and couldn't quite decide if it would be worse or better if all those hopefuls were female for once, rather than male. He felt that he had definitely got a worst deal than Edwina. No, perhaps that was unfair. They had, after all, only been the wrong sex now for two weeks. Two weeks more, and then, maybe, things would be a little more even. Nalian's reflection grinned back at him.

“Edwina?”

“Hmm?” Edwina said, not looking up from her thick tome, and obviously not paying the slightest bit of attention.

“Do you think I should grow a beard?”

The surprise made Edwina drop the book into her lap in a way that would have been exceedingly painful before their recent transformation. “What?”

“A beard. Do you think it'd suit me?” Nalian lifted his chin in the mirror, turning this way and that. “I thought it might make me look less, well, effeminate.”

“You actually want to look less feminine? (Please don't tell me he is enjoying this. Just don't.)”

“Well, um, no. But I am sick of the way I keep getting men giving me soulful looks. I reckon a beard'd help.” He rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

Edwina put her book down and walked over to stand by Nalian, pursing her elegantly painted lips in thought. Nalian grinned privately. Here she was complaining about Nalian trying to make the best of his appearance, yet she had, after it had become obvious this transformation would be long term, raided Nalian's make-up draw and then stolen all his lingerie.

He had to admit, though, that she cut quite a figure now. What had been a tall and skinny build as a male had become a graceful, aristocratic figure that was, Nalian enviously thought, far more alluring than the robust horsy build Nalian had been born with. Edwina had locked herself in his dressing room (again), and made a few alterations to her red robes. The alterations in question had occasionally made Nalian's newly male eyes wander appreciatively over her elegant curves, much to the disgust of the rest of Nalian. There are times, he thought ruefully, when I wish I could scrub my eyes out with saddle soap.

“Hmm,” She said, “A beard is, of course, the height of tastefulness. It adds maturity without adding years, and has graced the chins of many of the most powerful spell casters. (As long as they're not long and grey, and twinned with a pointy hat.)”

“It would mean I didn't have to shave every day, too.” Nalian said thoughtfully.

“Foolish boy.” Edwina said, shaking her head. “A beard needs constant maintenance, it needs to be clipped into shape and looked after!”

“Oh,” said Nalian, disappointed. “Maybe I won't bother then.”

“Milord?”

“Yes?”

“Yes?” Edwina asked, then shook her head. “Never mind.”

“There is a…lady visitor to see you.” The guard looked distinctly uncomfortable.

“Oh, very well. I'll see her in the library.”

“Very good, sir.”

Nalian walked out and down the corridor, into the large library. A red robed woman was standing in the middle of the carpet, apparently admiring the book collection. As Nalian entered, she turned around. Nalian went cold all over.

The woman was tall. She was very tall. Seven feet tall, Nalian estimated. Her skin was a flawless, rich, chocolate brown. Her head was shaven, revealing a delicately shaped skull. Nalian felt his mouth dry up as her gaze fell upon him.

Her eyes were shining silver pits of cold light, containing neither pupil, iris nor whites. Nalian's eyes wandered over her expensive looking, heavy, red robes. They were much simpler in design than Edwina's, billowing folds of cloth with a thin silver line trimming the sleeves and skirt, and a matching silver chain belt. There could be no doubt, though, that this…woman… was a Red Wizard. She had a passive expression, with a slight edge of satisfaction as she watched Nalian's predictably frightened reaction to her appearance.

“I look for a Red Wizard.” She said in perfect unaccented common, holding Nalian's gaze unblinkingly. Nalian was reminded of stories of rabbits, staring at the snake that would soon devour them whole. Distantly, he could hear the sound of Auntie Delcia's hunt coming back. The jingle of horse tack, the aristocratic guffaws and the yapping of the hounds seemed far away, unimportant, rather than the noisy nuisance they normally were.

“R...really?” He managed.

“ I have heard that he is located on the de'Arnise estate. His name is Odesseiron, Edwin Odesseiron.” She leaned closer to Nalian, focussing her impassive gaze on him. “He has been seen in the company of Nalia de'Arnise.”

Nalian thought quickly. Could this…this apparition read his thoughts? Could she tell if he lied?

“No,” he said, hoarsely, “There is no man called Edwin Odesseiron here.”

The woman stared at him, stared at him until there seemed to be nothing in the world but silver light, cold, sharp light with no room for pity, no room for anything but emotionless, logical thought. Suddenly, she looked away.

“It seems I was mistaken.” She said. “I apologise for wasting your time.” Without another word, she straightened up, and stalked out of the room, heading for the front door of the keep. There was the sound of snarling dogs, surprised aristocratic voices and barking, then silence.

Nalian let his breath out in a shuddering gasp, then ran, full tilt, the short distance between the library and the drawing room.

“Edwina!” He gasped. “We're in trouble.”

Edwina dropped her book again. “What is it this time?” She said, irritably.

“There was,” Nalian stopped to try and get his breath back, hands on his knees. “A Red Wizard here. She was looking for you. Sweet Ilmater, she was terrifying, I've never seen anyone like her. Tall, and she had these awful glowing white eyes.”

Edwina jerked as if she had been shot by a crossbow. She stood up, slowly, the book tumbling unheeded from her lap onto the carpet, landing with a loud thud in the suddenly quiet room. Her face was pale, and her hands fell loosely to her sides.

“Feredain.” She said, distantly.

“Feredain? What is a Feredain?”

“That's her name.” Edwina whispered. “She's an aasimar. Planes touched. Human mother, celestial father. My enemy.”

“But, who is she? What's she doing here? How did an aasimar become a Red Wizard?”

“She was born to a slave on the farms. Why a Deva would choose to visit a slave farm, I don't know. Her great magical powers soon got her noticed. She chose to become a Conjurer. She was adopted into the magically weak Ssroneth family as their heir. We…met at the Thayvian School of Conjuration.” Edwina now wore a bleak, despairing expression, staring straight ahead.

“Why is she your enemy?” Nalian asked.

Edwina shuddered. “She…” She stopped, and closed her eyes, irritably wiping away a tear. “I refuse to talk about this! It's none of your business!”

Nalian placed his hand on Edwina's shoulder, then hastily removed it as he felt her muscles stiffen under his touch. “I'm your familiar. If you can't tell me, who can you tell? What happened?”

Edwina's legs collapsed under her, and she sank down slowly to kneel on the carpet, head in her hands, tears slowly leaking from her eyes.

What did she do to you?

“She…” Edwina's voice cracked, becoming high and childlike. “Was better than me. Better at magic. Better at everything.”

“That's all? She was better than you? 'Dwina, I was only average in my mage classes. There were lots of people better than me. Hey, I just lived with it.” Nalian laughed lightly.

Edwina suddenly shot up from the carpet and grabbed Nalian's shoulders, face red, lips set in a snarl. Her eyes glittered dangerously. “Do you have any idea what it is like to be second best?” She hissed. “To excel, but be ignored, to achieve but never receive praise, to work and slave, but not be noticed, to be good at magic, but not quite as good as Feredain?”

“But…but…she's a supernatural being! How could you possibly expect to live up to her standard?”

Edwina took a shuddering breath, released Nalian, and continued, apparently speaking to herself, absently fiddling with the chain around her neck. “Year after year, she achieved more than I. Time after time, my supreme talent was ignored. In the end, though, I excelled. I beat her. It got me sent into exile, but I beat her.” Her chest heaved, and her unblinking eyes seemed to glow from within. “Then I was the best.”

“Why? Why were you sent into exile? You've never told me how that happened.”

Edwina blinked, fingers still caressing the links of the fine gold necklace. A measure of sanity returned to her eyes. “No. That I'll not tell you.”

Nalian watched her carefully. “The amulet.” She said, softly. Edwina jumped guiltily. “It's something to do with that amulet you wear.”

“I have my secrets, and I wish to keep them!” She snarled.

“Did you steal it?”

Edwina turned to face her, a sudden look of intense and maddened glee on her mascara-streaked face. “No, I am no petty larcenist. I did not steal this amulet.” She clenched her teeth in a rictus, a desperate grin of remembered pain and glory. “I made it!” A cry of triumph, and she fainted dead away.

In part five: Feredain turns a serious illness to her advantage.

Posted Image

Glorious Train Wrecks

#2 Laufey

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:02 PM

>> Yet, at times like this, when she rode a galloping horse, or when she

> travelled in a fast carriage, she was filled with an old longing, almost

> an homesickness. Part of her wished to be carried on powerful white wings,

> gliding high above the dull earth, over glittering landscapes of crystal

> and bright light, in a land where magic was manifest and the air was wine.

> Yet, she was doomed, cursed, even, to walk the dull earth, to crawl upon

> its surface for the rest of her existence.

Gods, for a while there I thought we were about to meet another Evil Avariel...

> *** Edwina and Nalian were lounging in the Keep's drawing room. Edwina

> was sitting in a well padded armchair, idly reading a book, and Nalian was

> studying his reflection in the huge mirror that hung over the fireplace.

> He had tied his hair back, reasoning that his long braided hair looked

> slightly more masculine that way. He was heartily sick of the hopeful

> crowd that gathered around him whenever he visited Athkatla, and couldn't

> quite decide if it would be worse or better if all those hopefuls were

> female for once, rather than male.

I can see how annoying that would be. :)

He felt that he had definitely got a

> worst deal than Edwina. No, perhaps that was unfair. They had, after all,

> only been the wrong sex now for two weeks. Two weeks more, and then,

> maybe, things would be a little more even. Nalian's reflection grinned

> back at him.

LOL! Poor, poor Edwina...

>> Edwina put her book down and walked over to stand by Nalian, pursing her

> elegantly painted lips in thought. Nalian grinned privately. Here she was

> complaining about Nalian trying to make the best of his appearance, yet

> she had, after it had become obvious this transformation would be long

> term, raided Nalian's make-up draw and then stolen all his lingerie.

> He had to admit, though, that she cut quite a figure now. What had been a

> tall and skinny build as a male had become a graceful, aristocratic figure

> that was, Nalian enviously thought, far more alluring than the robust

> horsy build Nalian had been born with. Edwina had locked herself in his

> dressing room (again), and made a few alterations to her red robes. The

> alterations in question had occasionally made Nalian's newly male eyes

> wander appreciatively over her elegant curves, much to the disgust of the

> rest of Nalian. There are times, he thought ruefully, when I wish I

> could scrub my eyes out with saddle soap .

*grin* Looking hot, 'Dwina!

> “Hmm,” She said, “A beard is, of course, the height of tastefulness. It

> adds maturity without adding years, and has graced the chins of many of

> the most powerful spell casters. (As long as they're not long and grey,

> and twinned with a pointy hat.)”

ROFL! Of course, there is that exception. I always thought that Edwin grew a beard in order to make himself appear more mature.

> “It would mean I didn't have to shave every day, too.” Nalian said

> thoughtfully.

> “Foolish boy.” Edwina said, shaking her head. “A beard needs constant

> maintenance, it needs to be clipped into shape and looked after!”

Indeed. Or you'll soon look scruffy.

>

> The woman was tall. She was very tall. Seven feet tall, Nalian

> estimated. Her skin was a flawless, rich, chocolate brown. Her head was

> shaven, revealing a delicately shaped skull. Nalian felt his mouth dry up

> as her gaze fell upon him.

> Her eyes were shining silver pits of cold light, containing neither pupil,

> iris nor whites. Nalian's eyes wandered over her expensive looking, heavy,

> red robes. They were much simpler in design than Edwina's, billowing folds

> of cloth with a thin silver line trimming the sleeves and skirt, and a

> matching silver chain belt. There could be no doubt, though, that

> this…woman… was a Red Wizard. She had a passive expression, with a slight

> edge of satisfaction as she watched Nalian's predictably frightened

> reaction to her appearance.

She is certainly *very* frightening.

> Nalian thought quickly. Could this…this apparition read his thoughts?

> Could she tell if he lied?

> “No,” he said, hoarsely, “There is no man called Edwin Odesseiron here.”

Well done.

>

> “That's her name.” Edwina whispered. “She's an aasimar. Planes touched.

> Human mother, celestial father. My enemy.”

Oh, an aasimar! Interesting!

> “But, who is she? What's she doing here? How did an aasimar become a Red

> Wizard?”

> “She was born to a slave on the farms. Why a Deva would choose to visit a

> slave farm, I don't know. Her great magical powers soon got her noticed.

> She chose to become a Conjurer. She was adopted into the magically weak

> Ssroneth family as their heir. We…met at the Thayvian School of

> Conjuration.” Edwina now wore a bleak, despairing expression, staring

> straight ahead.

Hmmm...intriguing.

>

> Nalian placed his hand on Edwina's shoulder, then hastily removed it as he

> felt her muscles stiffen under his touch. “I'm your familiar. If you can't

> tell me, who can you tell? What happened?”

> Edwina's legs collapsed under her, and she sank down slowly to kneel on

> the carpet, head in her hands, tears slowly leaking from her eyes.

Awww.... *hugs 'Dwina*

> “ What did she do to you? ”

> “She…” Edwina's voice cracked, becoming high and childlike. “Was better

> than me. Better at magic. Better at everything.”

> “That's all? She was better than you? 'Dwina, I was only average in my

> mage classes. There were lots of people better than me. Hey, I just lived

> with it.” Nalian laughed lightly.

> Edwina suddenly shot up from the carpet and grabbed Nalian's shoulders,

> face red, lips set in a snarl. Her eyes glittered dangerously. “Do you

> have any idea what it is like to be second best ?” She hissed. “To excel,

> but be ignored, to achieve but never receive praise, to work and slave,

> but not be noticed, to be good at magic, but not quite as good as

> Feredain ?”

> “But…but…she's a supernatural being! How could you possibly expect to live

> up to her standard?”

> Edwina took a shuddering breath, released Nalian, and continued,

> apparently speaking to herself, absently fiddling with the chain around

> her neck. “Year after year, she achieved more than I. Time after time, my

> supreme talent was ignored. In the end, though, I excelled. I beat her. It

> got me sent into exile, but I beat her.” Her chest heaved, and her

> unblinking eyes seemed to glow from within. “Then I was the best.”

Ooooh! Yes, I see what you meant before now. An interesting perspective on Edwin, and I recall you making an allusion to this before. It certainly *is* very important to him being the best, I can see him getting obsessed like this under certain circumstances.

>> “Did you steal it?”

> Edwina turned to face her, a sudden look of intense and maddened glee on

> her mascara-streaked face. “No, I am no petty larcenist. I did not steal

> this amulet.” She clenched her teeth in a rictus, a desperate grin of

> remembered pain and glory. “I made it!” A cry of triumph, and she

> fainted dead away.

Hmmm...curiouser and curiouser. Item making in itself would hardly be illegal or cause for banishment so there must be something else. Did he somehow steal some of Feredain's powers? That would be *very* naughty, and I can't see Dekkie approving of it either. Or did he use it to cheat in a magical duel or exam of some kind? Ah...the suspense may kill me yet. :D

In The Cards
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:13 PM

> Gods, for a while there I thought we were about to meet another Evil

> Avariel...

Heheh, I knew you would :). Remember me saying that in my email?

> I can see how annoying that would be. :D

Very!

> *grin* Looking hot, 'Dwina!

I wonder what her reaction would have been if she'd caught that thought of Nalian's?

> ROFL! Of course, there is that exception. I always thought that Edwin grew

> a beard in order to make himself appear more mature.

Yep, that's why my bro grew one. He's got rid of it now, mind.

> Indeed. Or you'll soon look scruffy.

Scruffy? Nooo, anything but that!

> She is certainly *very* frightening.

Indeed. I've deliberately not described her appearance until now, but it explains a lot. No wonder the innkeeper in Nashkel keeled over!

> Well done.

Nalia showing some cunning for once, wow.

> Oh, an aasimar! Interesting!

Not a wingless avariel, thank god :D

> Hmmm...intriguing.

> Awww.... *hugs 'Dwina*

> Ooooh! Yes, I see what you meant before now. An interesting perspective on

> Edwin, and I recall you making an allusion to this before. It certainly

> *is* very important to him being the best, I can see him getting obsessed

> like this under certain circumstances.

That was my view. People who are certain they're best at everything can take it really badly if they find someone better than them. There have been plenty of poor souls who have killed themselves first week at university when they find they're no longer the best.

> Hmmm...curiouser and curiouser. Item making in itself would hardly be

> illegal or cause for banishment so there must be something else. Did he

> somehow steal some of Feredain's powers? That would be *very* naughty, and

> I can't see Dekkie approving of it either. Or did he use it to cheat in a

> magical duel or exam of some kind? Ah...the suspense may kill me yet. :D

Oooh, you're so close!

Now I think I'll back to reading Cards where I left off :D.

Glorious Train Wrecks

#4 Guest_Kendis_*

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:19 PM

> Before we start, I'll just mention that I've included a link to the first

> story of this sequence, A Familiar Find, below, just in case you've had

> difficulty finding it. An Enjoyable Partnership: When Genders Collide

> Part Four Feredain rode along the packed gravel road to the de'Arnise

> estate. She rode sidesaddle, head held high, her cloak and robes streaming

> out behind her gracefully, the golden sunset staining the cloth a deeper

> scarlet. The horse was a strong bay gelding, with the deep chest and thin

> legs of a fine racing horse. Feredain had paid a large amount of gold for

> it; gold did not matter. Power, and catching the Odesseiron, did. And yet…

> Yet, at times like this, when she rode a galloping horse, or when she

Poor girl. :)

> She shook her head. Humans always wanted the unobtainable. Of course,

> human was not the correct word here…she had been brought up as a human,

> always treated as a human, but…

> “Good morning, my Lady,” The guard on the gate saluted her, but then, to

> her satisfaction, took a trembling step back when Feredain looked down at

> him. “What i…is your business in de'Arnise Keep?”

> “I wish to speak to the Lady Nalia de'Arnise.” Feredain leapt off the

> horse and landed on the ground in a fluid movement, her red robe billowing

> around her.

> “She is, um, indisposed.” He said, looking up at her. He spoke woodenly,

> obviously reciting a previously prepared script. “But her, er, cousin,

> Lord Nalian, is currently receiving guests. Should I see if he is

> available?”

> “Please do.”

> *** Edwina and Nalian were lounging in the Keep's drawing room. Edwina

> was sitting in a well padded armchair, idly reading a book, and Nalian was

> studying his reflection in the huge mirror that hung over the fireplace.

> He had tied his hair back, reasoning that his long braided hair looked

> slightly more masculine that way. He was heartily sick of the hopeful

> crowd that gathered around him whenever he visited Athkatla, and couldn't

> quite decide if it would be worse or better if all those hopefuls were

> female for once, rather than male. He felt that he had definitely got a

> worst deal than Edwina. No, perhaps that was unfair. They had, after all,

> only been the wrong sex now for two weeks. Two weeks more, and then,

> maybe, things would be a little more even. Nalian's reflection grinned

> back at him.

*snicker*

> “Edwina?”

> “Hmm?” Edwina said, not looking up from her thick tome, and obviously not

> paying the slightest bit of attention.

> “Do you think I should grow a beard?”

> The surprise made Edwina drop the book into her lap in a way that would

> have been exceedingly painful before their recent transformation. “What?”

*laughs*

> “A beard. Do you think it'd suit me?” Nalian lifted his chin in the

> mirror, turning this way and that. “I thought it might make me look less,

> well, effeminate.”

Anything would help. :D Particularly not dressing powder blue and yellow! :)

> “You actually want to look less feminine? (Please don't tell me he is

> enjoying this. Just don't.)”

> “Well, um, no. But I am sick of the way I keep getting men giving me

> soulful looks. I reckon a beard'd help.” He rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

> Edwina put her book down and walked over to stand by Nalian, pursing her

*laughs, imagining Edwin going through anyone's lingerie drawer...*

> He had to admit, though, that she cut quite a figure now. What had been a

> tall and skinny build as a male had become a graceful, aristocratic figure

> that was, Nalian enviously thought, far more alluring than the robust

> horsy build Nalian had been born with. Edwina had locked herself in his

> dressing room (again), and made a few alterations to her red robes. The

> alterations in question had occasionally made Nalian's newly male eyes

*grin*

> thoughtfully.

> “Oh,” said Nalian, disappointed. “Maybe I won't bother then.”

> “Milord?”

> “Yes?”

> “Yes?” Edwina asked, then shook her head. “Never mind.”

> “There is a…lady visitor to see you.” The guard looked distinctly

> uncomfortable.

> “Oh, very well. I'll see her in the library.”

> “Very good, sir.”

> Nalian walked out and down the corridor, into the large library. A red

> robed woman was standing in the middle of the carpet, apparently admiring

> the book collection. As Nalian entered, she turned around. Nalian went

> cold all over.

> iris nor whites. Nalian's eyes wandered over her expensive looking, heavy,

> red robes. They were much simpler in design than Edwina's, billowing folds

> of cloth with a thin silver line trimming the sleeves and skirt, and a

> matching silver chain belt. There could be no doubt, though, that

> this…woman… was a Red Wizard. She had a passive expression, with a slight

> edge of satisfaction as she watched Nalian's predictably frightened

> reaction to her appearance.

Wow! Another great description! :D

> “I look for a Red Wizard.” She said in perfect unaccented common, holding

> Nalian's gaze unblinkingly. Nalian was reminded of stories of rabbits,

> staring at the snake that would soon devour them whole. Distantly, he

> could hear the sound of Auntie Delcia's hunt coming back. The jingle of

> horse tack, the aristocratic guffaws and the yapping of the hounds seemed

> far away, unimportant, rather than the noisy nuisance they normally were.

> “R...really?” He managed.

> “ I have heard that he is located on the de'Arnise estate. His name is

> Odesseiron, Edwin Odesseiron.” She leaned closer to Nalian, focussing her

> impassive gaze on him. “He has been seen in the company of Nalia

> de'Arnise.”

*grin* Well, she wasn't lying....

> The woman stared at him, stared at him until there seemed to be nothing in

> the world but silver light, cold, sharp light with no room for pity, no

> room for anything but emotionless, logical thought. Suddenly, she looked

> away.

> “It seems I was mistaken.” She said. “I apologise for wasting your time.”

> Without another word, she straightened up, and stalked out of the room,

> heading for the front door of the keep. There was the sound of snarling

> dogs, surprised aristocratic voices and barking, then silence.

> Nalian let his breath out in a shuddering gasp, then ran, full tilt, the

> short distance between the library and the drawing room.

> “Edwina!” He gasped. “We're in trouble.”

> Edwina dropped her book again. “What is it this time?” She said,

> irritably.

> “There was,” Nalian stopped to try and get his breath back, hands on his

> knees. “A Red Wizard here. She was looking for you. Sweet Ilmater, she was

> terrifying, I've never seen anyone like her. Tall, and she had these awful

> glowing white eyes.”

Be afraid, Eddie! Be very afraid!

> Edwina jerked as if she had been shot by a crossbow. She stood up, slowly,

> the book tumbling unheeded from her lap onto the carpet, landing with a

> loud thud in the suddenly quiet room. Her face was pale, and her hands

> fell loosely to her sides.

> “Feredain.” She said, distantly.

> “Feredain? What is a Feredain?”

> Wizard?”

> straight ahead.

> “Why is she your enemy?” Nalian asked.

> Edwina shuddered. “She…” She stopped, and closed her eyes, irritably

> wiping away a tear. “I refuse to talk about this! It's none of your

> business!”

Poor Eddie. :D

> Nalian placed his hand on Edwina's shoulder, then hastily removed it as he

> felt her muscles stiffen under his touch. “I'm your familiar. If you can't

> tell me, who can you tell? What happened?”

*bites her lips together, trying not to laugh* Okay....

> Feredain ?”

> up to her standard?”

Good point! :P

Ooh, do we get to hear that story? :D

> “Why? Why were you sent into exile? You've never told me how that

> happened.”

> Edwina blinked, fingers still caressing the links of the fine gold

> necklace. A measure of sanity returned to her eyes. “No. That I'll not

> tell you.”

> Nalian watched her carefully. “The amulet.” She said, softly. Edwina

> jumped guiltily. “It's something to do with that amulet you wear.”

> “I have my secrets, and I wish to keep them!” She snarled.

> “Did you steal it?”

> fainted dead away.

That's never good. :D

> In part five: Feredain turns a serious illness to her advantage.

*applauds*

Okay, I'm not going to say how much I can't wait for the next one. :) Nope, not going to say it. Uh-uh. :D

Kendis

>

#5 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:41 PM

> Poor girl. :)

Aerie would sympathise.

> Anything would help. :D Particularly not dressing powder blue and yellow!

> :)

Nalian: But I like blue and yellow!

> *laughs, imagining Edwin going through anyone's lingerie drawer...*

I found writing the words 'his lingerie drawer' was weird enough.

> Wow! Another great description! :D

I've avoided describing her appearance before now, though you will notice that a number of people have looked up at her, never down.

> *grin* Well, she wasn't lying....

No, Nalian is being devious, for once.

> Be afraid, Eddie! Be very afraid!

More like utterly crapping herself, I think.

> Poor Eddie. :D

Aww, come on, be a bit more sympathetic, please!

> *bites her lips together, trying not to laugh* Okay....

That is pretty much Nalian's reaction, and it nearly got him throttled! There is such a thing as tact, you know.

> Good point! :P

Feredain's stats: str 12, dex 10, con 14, wis 16, int 19, chr 17. Ouch. The high charisma is not because she's beautiful or a good leader, but because everyone is terrified of her.

> Ooh, do we get to hear that story? :D

More details will eventually be forthcoming.

> That's never good. :D

No, not a good sign. Mind you, I think I would have been just slightly worried in Nalian's position even if she hadn't passed out.

> *applauds*

Wow, applause, thanks!

> Okay, I'm not going to say how much I can't wait for the next one. :)

> Nope, not going to say it. Uh-uh. :D

Uhhh, of course not! Part five will be posted tomorrow, fear not!

Glorious Train Wrecks

#6 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 03 October 2002 - 07:19 PM

Sounds like Whinepigeon.

I think I would. It would be much more fun to be a man but for the fact that I am hopelessly hetero.

Agreed!

Sarry is planes touched too. In my story.

> Edwina shuddered. “She…” She stopped, and closed her eyes, irritably

> wiping away a tear. “I refuse to talk about this! It's none of your

> business!”

Now I'm seriously intrigued.

I don't understand people with that little ambition.

Road of redemption

#7 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 03 October 2002 - 08:55 PM

> Sounds like Whinepigeon.

What can I say, I like messing with my reader's minds :)

> I think I would. It would be much more fun to be a man but for the fact

> that I am hopelessly hetero.

Ah well, I don't have that problem myself, I am a little more variable :).

> Sarry is planes touched too. In my story.

Yep, it suits him, too! Feredain is entirely different, though, I'd say.

> Now I'm seriously intrigued.

You'll have to wait to find out more about this little back-story :)

> I don't understand people with that little ambition.

Most people are average in their classes, they learn to accept it. It's not a matter of lack of ambition, more a realistic acceptance of your skills. However, this was still a really seriously tactless answer she gave!

Glorious Train Wrecks

#8 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 03 October 2002 - 09:36 PM

> Most people are average in their classes, they learn to accept it. It's

> not a matter of lack of ambition, more a realistic acceptance of your

> skills. However, this was still a really seriously tactless answer she

> gave!

But then you'd think they would like to find something to excel in. Or I think so. I really need to excel in something (and have hard time accepting that I can't excel in everything I choose to) in order to respect myself. I don't know what it says about me, but if I just had to accept being average, I'd rather be dead. I would love to be the best *something*.

Road of redemption

#9 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 03 October 2002 - 10:38 PM

> But then you'd think they would like to find something to excel in.

Well, Nalia has 18 dex, so presumably she's a good thief.

> Or I

> think so. I really need to excel in something (and have hard time

> accepting that I can't excel in everything I choose to) in order to

> respect myself.

I know that feeling. I used to be like that myself, but, thank god, I learnt that our abilities and skills aren't everything that makes us worthy as a person.

> I don't know what it says about me, but if I just had to

> accept being average, I'd rather be dead. I would love to be the best

> *something*.

It is almost impossible, in a world of over five billion, to be the tip top best person at some skill. But, more than that, it's not the way you should define yourself. If you say 'I am Lord E, I am good at xxx', you reduce who you are to a simple label. The important question is 'Who are you?' not 'what are you good at?'. There is far more to life than talent, so much to explore in the human existence. Don't let other people tell you that all your are is your talent.

Umm, I got ranting. Sorry :)

Glorious Train Wrecks

#10 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 03 October 2002 - 11:06 PM

> Well, Nalia has 18 dex, so presumably she's a good thief.

But that's just natural talent, not 'honed to perfection' like Anomen's unparalleled mortal body :)

> I know that feeling. I used to be like that myself, but, thank god, I

> learnt that our abilities and skills aren't everything that makes us

> worthy as a person.

I know that as a philosophical point, but as a deep-stuck thinking pattern it won't just go away.

> It is almost impossible, in a world of over five billion, to be the tip

> top best person at some skill.

I think I can settle with being very, very good, and very, very original.

> But, more than that, it's not the way you

> should define yourself. If you say 'I am Lord E, I am good at xxx', you

> reduce who you are to a simple label. The important question is 'Who are

> you?' not 'what are you good at?'. There is far more to life than talent,

> so much to explore in the human existence. Don't let other people tell you

> that all your are is your talent.

In my case it is more that I tell myself that. My mother has told me that 'people are valuable regardless of their talent' lark all my life, but I just won't buy it. It is not that I think of other people that way either. Just myself. I don't now why. I don't feel important if I don't do something I can value, and that is all there is to it.

Perhaps it is that apart from any talent or what I do I am really not much of anything. A drop-out, dreamer, lazy hedonist, occupier of space. Right now I have a hope that I will be a real writer some day.

> Umm, I got ranting. Sorry :)

Me too. All these semi-traumas pop up now and then.

Road of redemption

#11 Weyoun

Posted 03 October 2002 - 11:33 PM

LAska : Yeah, humans always want too much...

Weyoun : It's arrived, Laska! You're imported 200 year old scotch from the highlands has arrive by mail!

Laska : Gimme, gimme!

Aribeth : Say, could I try?

Laska : NO! *hugs bottle* MINE! :D

> available?”

Cousin indeed. :)

> “A beard. Do you think it'd suit me?” Nalian lifted his chin in the

> mirror, turning this way and that. “I thought it might make me look less,

> well, effeminate.”

LOL! Good point... Looks like the testosterone is kicking in, Nalia! :)

LOL! Good point. :) Hmmm, don't wizards who smoke pipes run a terrible risk? :)

> “R...really?” He managed.

She sounds sure of herself. :)

Aribeth : Don't you mean he?

Weyoun : Don't confuse me any further than I already am, please?

Vierna : Hey, did you ever read the story about the time-travelling girl who was her own mother, father, fosterparent and daughter?

Weyoun : ARGH! :D

Well, it's not exactly a lie. :)

> “There was,” Nalian stopped to try and get his breath back, hands on his

> knees. “A Red Wizard here. She was looking for you. Sweet Ilmater, she was

> terrifying, I've never seen anyone like her. Tall, and she had these awful

> glowing white eyes.”

> Edwina jerked as if she had been shot by a crossbow. She stood up, slowly,

> the book tumbling unheeded from her lap onto the carpet, landing with a

> loud thud in the suddenly quiet room. Her face was pale, and her hands

> fell loosely to her sides.

Uh-oh... :)

> “Feredain.” She said, distantly.

> “Feredain? What is a Feredain?”

> Wizard?”

> straight ahead.

Nice bit of background!

Why is anyone Edwins enemy? :D

> Feredain ?”

> up to her standard?”

Good point! :)

> fainted dead away.

Oh, what's happening now?

Weyoun : Okay, all together now :

Weyoun, Laska, Vierna and Aribeth : Great stuff! :D

---Weyoun

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#12 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 04 October 2002 - 05:01 AM

Ooh, could she fly before?

> “Good morning, my Lady,” The guard on the gate saluted her, but then, to

> her satisfaction, took a trembling step back when Feredain looked down at

> him. “What i…is your business in de'Arnise Keep?”

> “I wish to speak to the Lady Nalia de'Arnise.” Feredain leapt off the

> horse and landed on the ground in a fluid movement, her red robe billowing

> around her.

> available?”

Indisposed. What a delicate way to put it. ;p

> “Edwina?”

> “Hmm?” Edwina said, not looking up from her thick tome, and obviously not

> paying the slightest bit of attention.

> “Do you think I should grow a beard?”

LOL!

Yep, that sounds like Edwin. ;p

I can so agree with that.

> Nalian walked out and down the corridor, into the large library. A red

> robed woman was standing in the middle of the carpet, apparently admiring

> the book collection. As Nalian entered, she turned around. Nalian went

> cold all over.

Ah, she's an aasimar!

> “ I have heard that he is located on the de'Arnise estate. His name is

> Odesseiron, Edwin Odesseiron.” She leaned closer to Nalian, focussing her

> impassive gaze on him. “He has been seen in the company of Nalia

> de'Arnise.”

That's too true. ;p

Aww, poor Eddie, I mean Edwina. ;p

> “I have my secrets, and I wish to keep them!” She snarled.

> “Did you steal it?”

> fainted dead away.

That's an interesting tale.

Blades and Magic

#13 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 04 October 2002 - 07:17 AM

> LAska : Yeah, humans always want too much...

> Weyoun : It's arrived, Laska! You're imported 200 year old scotch from the

> highlands has arrive by mail!

> Laska : Gimme, gimme!

> Aribeth : Say, could I try?

> Laska : NO! *hugs bottle* MINE! :)

You remind me of my mother!

> Cousin indeed. :)

Well, it's one possible explanation!

> LOL! Good point... Looks like the testosterone is kicking in, Nalia! :)

Nah, he just wants to stop being followed around by hopeful men :) Actually, if I was turned into a guy, first thing I'd do would be grow a beard. Might as well make the most of it...

> LOL! Good point. :D Hmmm, don't wizards who smoke pipes run a terrible

> risk? :D

Two good points in a row?

Especially if they use hairspray on their beards :D Whoosh!

> She sounds sure of herself. ;)

> Aribeth : Don't you mean he?

> Weyoun : Don't confuse me any further than I already am, please?

> Vierna : Hey, did you ever read the story about the time-travelling girl

> who was her own mother, father, fosterparent and daughter?

> Weyoun : ARGH! :)

LOL, now you know how I felt when I was writing this! He, she, which one is it at the moment?

> Well, it's not exactly a lie. ;)

Nope, entire truth.

> Uh-oh... :)

I don't think Edwin took this news particularly well, do you?

> Nice bit of background!

Thank you :)

> Why is anyone Edwins enemy? :(

Well, it's obvious why Edwin hates her, but it'll be a while before we find out why she hates him. Though there are clues there, pretty obscure ones.

> Good point! :)

The moral of today's tale, children, is: don't try to compete with supernatural beings. I'm sure you'll all agree it's a useful thing to know.

> Oh, what's happening now?

Edwina just passed out, that's what happened :)

> Weyoun : Okay, all together now :

> Weyoun, Laska, Vierna and Aribeth : Great stuff! :D

Thank you, erm, all :)

> ---Weyoun

Glorious Train Wrecks

#14 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 04 October 2002 - 07:22 AM

> Ooh, could she fly before?

No, she's never been able to fly, but she's part celestial being, in other words, half an angel. There's a bit of her genetic make-up that insists she should be able to fly.

> Indisposed. What a delicate way to put it. ;p

It used to be standard practice for noblewomen to be 'indisposed' once a month :)

> Yep, that sounds like Edwin. ;p

Writing 'all his lingerie' felt very odd, I can tell you.

> I can so agree with that.

Poor Elmonstro, no one likes him!

> Ah, she's an aasimar!

Showoff :) Did you really guess, or did you just peek ahead?

> That's too true. ;p

Yep. Nalian showing a bit of cunning for once.

> Aww, poor Eddie, I mean Edwina. ;p

Eddie is used as shorthand for Edwina as well, actually. But yes, I feel sorry for him. Can't have been nice.

> That's an interesting tale.

Thanks!

Glorious Train Wrecks

#15 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 04 October 2002 - 07:27 AM

> But that's just natural talent, not 'honed to perfection' like Anomen's

> unparalleled mortal body :D

Oh, puh-lease! :)

> I know that as a philosophical point, but as a deep-stuck thinking pattern

> it won't just go away.

> I think I can settle with being very, very good, and very, very original.

Well, I don't entirely manage it...I'm better at being average than I used to be :)

> In my case it is more that I tell myself that. My mother has told me that

> 'people are valuable regardless of their talent' lark all my life, but I

> just won't buy it. It is not that I think of other people that way either.

> Just myself. I don't now why. I don't feel important if I don't do

> something I can value, and that is all there is to it.

Well, it's hard to buy it when you do have talent, I think. If you're told that people are valuable regardless of ability, and then the only thing people ever notice about you, ever compliment you about, is your talent, then, well, the brain draw certain conclusions.

> Perhaps it is that apart from any talent or what I do I am really not much

> of anything. A drop-out, dreamer, lazy hedonist, occupier of space. Right

> now I have a hope that I will be a real writer some day.

Sounds like we'd get on famously :). Except, with me, it's that I'd like to be a writer again someday. (sighs)

> Me too. All these semi-traumas pop up now and then.

My head is so full of skeletons you'd think it was a graveyard! I know what it's like.

Glorious Train Wrecks

#16 Guest_Melle_*

Posted 04 October 2002 - 09:28 AM

> available?”

*smirk*

That's just so Edwin/a.

> The alterations in question had occasionally made Nalian's newly male eyes

Pray that Ophidia doesn't have more in mind than eyes, then :D

> thoughtfully.

Unless it's long and grey and twinned with a pointy hat, from what I've gathered.

> iris nor whites.

I see why you avoided describing her like that before. Wouldn't people comment on the eyes, though? Illusion masking?

Reminds me od Sarry's eyes. I always considered that a Powerful Bhaalspawn Effect, but Lord E explained it as his being half what's-their-name, celestial of some kind.

Not anymore.

> “It seems I was mistaken.” She said. “I apologise for wasting your time.”

> Without another word, she straightened up, and stalked out of the room,

> heading for the front door of the keep. There was the sound of snarling

> dogs, surprised aristocratic voices and barking, then silence.

Now that wasn't very thorough. Surely such tricks are ages old in Faerun, too?

Gotcha. It also fits the description of "to be carried on powerful white wings". One possibility discarded at once was that of avariel, and my FR lore doesn't contain all that many flying beasties.

Capital crime!

> Feredain ?”

Nasty. Good thing I always was the best :(

Hmm...

> fainted dead away.

Theory: 1. Making such an amulet was illegal. 2. It involved gaining the enmity of Feredain. 3. Either it hurt/drained Feredain's powers, and doing such a thing to a fellow Red Wizard is surely illegal, or Feredain is simply pissed at being surpassed by means illegal by and of themselves. I think the former is more likely *shrugs* Indications that Eddie himself paid some price could fit with either case, but slightly more with the latter. (4. Circumventing the limits placed by Mystra is pretty damn impressive, either way.)

(Give it up, Melle, and wait for another episode, will you?)

#17 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 04 October 2002 - 11:40 AM

> That's just so Edwin/a.

Heh, I thought so! I have this horrible image of Edwin in a bra and panties in my head now, though. I need Nalian's saddle soap!

> Pray that Ophidia doesn't have more in mind than eyes, then :D

ROFL! Took me a second to get what you meant then, I'm hopeless.

> Unless it's long and grey and twinned with a pointy hat, from what I've

> gathered.

Elminster this, Elminster that, give me two thousand years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his...

> I see why you avoided describing her like that before. Wouldn't people

> comment on the eyes, though? Illusion masking?

Would you honestly have the guts to say to her 'Hey, Feredain, what's with the eyes? They're really creepy, you know!'. Presumably people gossip about it behind her back, but I've not had one of the people facing her describe what they saw until this point.

> Reminds me od Sarry's eyes. I always considered that a Powerful Bhaalspawn

> Effect, but Lord E explained it as his being half what's-their-name,

> celestial of some kind.

Yes, I liked that explanation. Feredain was one of those weird characters who arose fully formed in my brain when I woke up one day, so I can't be sure if she'd inspired by Lord E's version of Sarry or not. Totally different personality, anyway.

> Not anymore.

Exactly

> Now that wasn't very thorough. Surely such tricks are ages old in Faerun,

> too?

Maybe, but Feredain does have utter confidence in her ability to read human beings. In this case, it's misplaced.

> Gotcha. It also fits the description of "to be carried on powerful

> white wings". One possibility discarded at once was that of avariel,

> and my FR lore doesn't contain all that many flying beasties.

Gargoyles? :)

Incidently, you were supposed to wonder if she was yet another wingless avariel at first, in a 'please god no' kind of a way :P.

> Capital crime!

Indeed!

> Nasty. Good thing I always was the best :(

(rolls eyes) Yeah, right!

> Theory: 1. Making such an amulet was illegal.

Yes, it was.

>2. It involved gaining the

> enmity of Feredain.

Nope, it didn't. Things are a little more complicated than that.

>3. Either it hurt/drained Feredain's powers, and doing

> such a thing to a fellow Red Wizard is surely illegal, or Feredain is

> simply pissed at being surpassed by means illegal by and of themselves. I

> think the former is more likely *shrugs* Indications that Eddie himself

> paid some price could fit with either case, but slightly more with the

> latter.

The price Eddie paid for making it is obvious, but why it was illegal isn't at this point.

>(4. Circumventing the limits placed by Mystra is pretty damn

> impressive, either way.)

Nope, doesn't circumvent Mystra's limits.

> (Give it up, Melle, and wait for another episode, will you?)

Ohhh, you are so gonna hate me when I post ep five :D.

Glorious Train Wrecks

#18 Guest_Melle_*

Posted 04 October 2002 - 12:40 PM

> Heh, I thought so! I have this horrible image of Edwin in a bra and

> panties in my head now, though. I need Nalian's saddle soap!

No, don't make me think it! Eddie in bra and ARGH!

> Elminster this, Elminster that, give me two thousand years and a pointy

> hat and I'll kick his...

Indeed. I was referring to Laufey's description of his beard, though.

> Would you honestly have the guts to say to her 'Hey, Feredain, what's with

> the eyes? They're really creepy, you know!'.

Well, perhaps not :D

> Gargoyles? :)

> Incidently, you were supposed to wonder if she was yet another wingless

> avariel at first, in a 'please god no' kind of a way :P.

Never heard of gargoyles in FR before, I think. The thought avariel did pop into my head immedeately, but was rejected just a quickly. Simply didn't fit.

> (rolls eyes) Yeah, right!

Cross my heart. I know that there are people out there who are smarter than I am, but I have yet to meet one of them.

> Yes, it was.

No brainer, really.

> Nope, it didn't. Things are a little more complicated than that.

Oops, I must have misinterpreted something. I had the impression that her Edwin-hunt was because of a grudge of the worst sort, and so assumed it was the amulet.

> The price Eddie paid for making it is obvious, but why it was illegal

> isn't at this point.

Exile, yes. I was thinking of more sinister things, ala LoTR.

> Nope, doesn't circumvent Mystra's limits.

Damn, my memory is acting up again. I just remembered the description of a ring of wizardry or something involved the phrase "circumventing Mystra's limits". Now I remember that it actually said "It was discovered that he didn't really circumvent Mystra's limits, as he could still only memorize a limited amount of spells. This is NOT a good day for me.

> Ohhh, you are so gonna hate me when I post ep five :D.

Oh, go ahead. I can hardly make more of a fool of myself, right? :(

#19 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 04 October 2002 - 01:03 PM

> No, don't make me think it! Eddie in bra and ARGH!

Here, have the saddle soap :(

> Indeed. I was referring to Laufey's description of his beard, though.

Oh (scratches head) I knew that!

> Never heard of gargoyles in FR before, I think. The thought avariel did

> pop into my head immedeately, but was rejected just a quickly. Simply

> didn't fit.

You fight a number of them in NWN, actually.

> Cross my heart. I know that there are people out there who are smarter

> than I am, but I have yet to meet one of them.

Hmm, did you go to university?

> No brainer, really.

> Oops, I must have misinterpreted something. I had the impression that her

> Edwin-hunt was because of a grudge of the worst sort, and so assumed it

> was the amulet.

It is to do with a grudge, but it's not as simple a matter as blame and cause.

> Exile, yes. I was thinking of more sinister things, ala LoTR.

Well, considering the way he just acted, does the amulet need to have a supernatural mind-warping affect to have a bad influence?

> Damn, my memory is acting up again. I just remembered the description of a

> ring of wizardry or something involved the phrase "circumventing

> Mystra's limits". Now I remember that it actually said "It was

> discovered that he didn't really circumvent Mystra's limits, as he could

> still only memorize a limited amount of spells. This is NOT a good day for

> me.

Really? I know very little about the DnD universe. I did do some research for this story, and as far as I know it's within the limitations. We shall have to see.

> Oh, go ahead. I can hardly make more of a fool of myself, right? :D

Nope, that's not why you'll hate me....ah, you'll see soon enough!

Glorious Train Wrecks

#20 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 04 October 2002 - 05:23 PM

> Reminds me od Sarry's eyes. I always considered that a Powerful Bhaalspawn

> Effect, but Lord E explained it as his being half what's-their-name,

> celestial of some kind.

An aasimar. Having blood of a celestial. Like tieflings have blood of a demon. That is just my pet theory, though... I'm not sure if it is the Holy Intention of the game designers. In my world he is, anyway.

Road of redemption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com