Chapter 6

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jover_*

Posted 30 November 2002 - 09:13 PM

Chapter 6

The next morning the companions arrived at the De'Arnise Keep and were met by the captain of the guard, Captain Arat. He told them that the Keep had fallen to the invading trolls and he had been forced to retreat with the few remaining guards, all of which had been wounded. After a brief discussion of strategy, Jover had Nalia lead the companions through the secret entrance she had told them about.

"Good, we made it inside the Keep." Nalia said. "We should try to lower the drawbridge, so Captain Arat and the guards can come in and help us. Then we have to find my father."

"We will Nalia." Jover said, looking around at the room they were in. "You didn't tell us that your secret entrance led into the armory. Everyone look around and pick up anything you can use."

"Jover, look over here." Jaheira said holding up a bundle of arrows whose points glowed bright red. "Fire arrows."

"Perfect!" Jover said, smiling. "Give me a few and divide the rest between Minsc and Nalia."

"Now we need to scout the area." Jover said, turning to look at his companions. "To see how many trolls there are in the keep."

"I can do it." Nalia said, "I know a little about sneaking around, especially here in my home."

"No, it's to dangerous." Jover said. "We're here to save your home and father, not to get you killed." Jover saw as Aerie opened her mouth to speak, but she stopped before saying anything. "Aerie did you want to say something?"

"Well I.. I.." Aerie began.

"Out with it child." Jaheira said, in a voice the made Aerie cringe. "We cannot stand here all day waiting for you to speak."

"Aerie if you have something to say, please speak freely." Jover said. "Just because you’re new to adventuring doesn't mean your ideas are worthless."

Aerie nodded slightly and took a deep breath before speaking. "I know a spell, the 'wizard's eye' it.. it can do the scouting without putting anyone in danger."

"That's a good idea." Jover said, smiling at Aerie. "I like anything that keeps us safe."

Aerie cast her spell and a small floating orb appeared in the room. Jover opened the door just enough to let the orb float out into the hallway, then quickly shut the door again.

"Now tell us what you see Aerie." Jover said.

"I see the hallway, it's empty." Aerie said, her blue eyes losing focus as she looked, by the magic of her spell, at what the orb was seeing. "Oh my.. in the main hall there are five trolls."

"What do the look like?" Anomen asked. "Describe them."

"Three are tall and have yellow skin." Aerie said. "And there are two shorter green ones."

"That's good Aerie." Jover said. "Now search the rest of this floor."

"I.. don't see any others." Aerie said. "But some of the doors are closed, my eye spell can't open them."

"That's fine Aerie, you did a good job." Jover said. "Just keep watch on the ones in the main hall and let me know if they move."

"Now then, Nalia get out that wand I gave you." Jover said. "When I open this door I want you to use it on the main hall. Then get back over there with the others."

Jover opened the door and Nalia's wand shot a bolt of magical energy across the hallway, when it struck the floor of the main hall a cloud of thick poisonous smoke filled the room that the trolls occupied.

"Aerie, how are we doing?" Jover asked, still standing near the door.

"The two smaller trolls are down." Aerie said. "The big ones are only hurt, they.. they're coming this way!"

"Minsc, Nalia get your bows and stand with me." Jover said, while reaching for his own bow. "Everyone else keep back and stay ready."

The three of them stood back slightly from the doorway, bows drawn, waiting for the first troll to show itself. When the troll moved into the doorway three arrows hit it in the chest dropping it to the floor. As soon as it fell the other two trolls started through the door, stepping on the one that fell in an effort to get at the companions. Jover and Minsc dropped their bows and drew swords to face the two remaining trolls, while Nalia managed to shoot a fire arrow into the one that was already down killing it. Jover ducked under as the monster swung it's long clawed arm at him. Then he cut at the troll’s legs with his long sword causing the monster to lose its balance and fall. Anomen and Jaheira were quickly over it, pounding the troll with mace and staff. Minsc had already inflicted heavy wounds on his opponent before Jover arrived to help him. The two trolls quickly fell to the companion's skill and Nalia finished them off with her arrows. Jover dragged the troll's body out of the way and shut the door to the room, giving the companions a little security while they rested for a moment.

"Good teamwork everyone." Jover said. "Any injuries?"

"M.. Minsc has one." Aerie said looking at the big ranger's arm. "Here, let me heal it."

"Do not worry so, little witch." Minsc said. "This is only a scratch, Minsc has had many worse cuts and still lived to kick evil's butt."

"Let her heal it Minsc." Jover said. "It's going to be a long battle, we need you healthy."

Minsc was quickly healed and the companions advanced into the hallways. Checking the side rooms to make sure they would not be attacked from behind. As they entered the kitchen they were surprised to find a human man standing at the stove cooking.

"Daleson!" Nalia said, as she recognized the man.

"Miss Nalia!" Daleson said, turning around "What are you doing here?"

"I am here to save my home." Nalia said, "These are the people I hired to help me, but what are you doing? Are you doing working for these beasts? How dare you!"

"Never, Miss Nalia!" Daleson said. "They got nothing but the barest of service from me. I would never.."

"Then why are you cooking at a time like this?" Nalia asked.

"They make me." Daleson said, "That big troll, he's got a whole pack of nasty looking monsters that dig like mad. Those monsters guard the main room downstairs, but they feed in one of the rooms just down the hall from there. I have to cook this disgusting stew to feed 'em, it's made from dog meat. And let me tell you, nothing gets between them and their food, abandoned their post for the dog stew I made."

"Never mind about that now Daleson." Nalia said, "Have you seen my father?"

"Yes, I have Miss Nalia." Daleson said "Lord Arnise fought bravely, he even managed to assemble his flail but there were just too many trolls. He was captured alive this morning, I saw that big troll carrying him, probably took him down to the... "

"Cellars! The cellars is what they are." Nalia said. "I won't have them called otherwise in this day and age, despite their history."

"So these cellars used to be a dungeon " Jover said, "That doesn't make a bit of difference right now, Daleson, finish cooking that and wait here for our return. We are going to try and clear the courtyard and lower the drawbridge. After that it will be safe for you to leave."

"Yes Sir." Daleson said. "Thank you, Sir."

They companions quickly made their way to the door that led to the courtyard.
"Nalia it's your home." Jover said. "Where is the control for that drawbridge?"

"Go up the stairs just outside this door." Nalia said. "The control is up on the battlement above the gate."

"Anomen, you want the job of opening the gate?" Jover asked.

"Of course." Anomen said, proudly "I shall not fail."

"I know you won't." Jover said. "Aerie, make him invisible."

"What!" Anomen said. "There is no honor in sneaking around like a thief."

"This isn't about honor Anomen, it's about success." Jover said. "We need that gate opened and this is the best way. The rest of us will fight the trolls in the courtyard and guard the stairs for you. When you open that gate you'll be visible again and likely have to fight your way back down. I trust your ability to do this or I would do it myself."

"Very well." Anomen said. "I still prefer honest combat though."

After Aerie had cast the invisibility spell on Anomen. She, Nalia, and Jaheira cast their own defensive spells, then the companions threw open the door to the courtyard. A courtyard that held a large number of trolls.

"Go Anomen!" Jover yelled, as he moved to engage the first troll that was running at the group.

"Up here little witches." Minsc said, as he gently moved Aerie and Nalia to the stairs behind him. Then the ranger drew his big two handed sword and stood in front of them, ready to defend his new friends with his life. Aerie and Nalia taking advantage of the extra height the stairs gave them, began to rain down magic missiles on their opponents.

Jaheira moved with a natural grace thought the melee, using her staff to trip and then strike at the trolls. Always keeping an eye on Jover in case he needed a healer.

Anomen moved as fast as he could up to the battlement, quietly passing two trolls that were near the drawbridge control. He spun the wheel on the control and grabbed the mace from his belt at the same time. The two trolls turned towards the control just in time to see an armored figure running towards them. Anomen barreled right into the trolls knocking them down by sheer force.

The drawbridge came down with a crash of noise and dust, momentarily causing everyone involved to look. The companions quickly recovered and pressed their attack, knowing that help was on the way.

Jover was bleeding from several small cuts as he dropped another troll with his sword. He reached quickly into his quiver for a fire arrow to finish off the monster, only to come up empty handed. 'Damn, got to get Minsc or Nalia to..' Jover's thought, was cut short as a sword of pure flame stabbed into the troll killing it. Jover turned to see Jaheira standing next to him a flaming sword and her hand and a determined look on her face.

"Thanks!" Jover said, flashing her a grin, before turning back to the battle. Looking towards the drawbridge he saw Captain Arat and his few remaining troops coming in, their numbers would help to turn the tide of battle against the trolls.

Anomen had almost made it back to the lower stairway before the two trolls caught up with him. The first troll's claws glanced off the back of Anomen's armor without hurting the squire. Anomen spun to face his attackers bringing his mace around in an uppercut swing that knocked the closest troll backwards into the second one. As the two trolls tried to separate themselves, Anomen hit them with all his strength causing both monsters to fall over the stair railing and into the courtyard below. Where some of the guards quickly finished them off.

An amazing sight was waiting for Jover and Jaheira after they made their way back to the where Minsc and the others were. They knew Minsc was a fearsome warrior all by himself, but with Aerie healing any injury he received and Nalia's fire arrows making sure the trolls couldn't rise to fight again Minsc was truly unstoppable. Those three companions easily had the largest number of dead trolls to their credit.

After the battle, the courtyard grew quite for a few moments. As everyone became lost in their own thoughts about what they had just been through. Then Jover motioned for the others to head back inside the Keep. The battle was only half done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com