Photo

In The Cards 94

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Laufey

Posted 11 May 2002 - 07:34 AM

In The Cards 94 - Dirty Druids

A shapechange can be both exhilarating and frightening. You take on the strengths and weaknesses of the new form, as well as its instincts. You should always bear this in mind, as those instincts may well lead you into acts with unpleasant consequences.

Excerpt from 'Ruminations Of A Master Bard'

There was a house in the heart of the Cloakwood Forest. This might not have been so strange in itself, if it hadn't been for the shape of it. A magnificent tree stood there, its branches seemingly scraping the sky, the trunk too wide for a score of men to encircle with their arms. And in the middle of that tree-trunk there was a door. A smooth, unpainted door, almost invisible against the rest of the tree. It was as if it hadn't so much been placed there, as grown out of the tree itself.

"So who do you suppose lives in a place like that?" Zaerini asked her friends. "I can imagine a few reasonable alternatives myself."

"Such as?" Edwin asked.

"Well…it could be a wicked old man-eating hag."

"No, no", Imoen protested. "Those are supposed to live in gingerbread houses. Not in trees."

"Oh. I suppose so. How about a friendly old Grandma?"

"Inside a tree?" Jaheira said, sounding incredulous. "And whose Grandmother are we talking about anyway?"

"I…I'm not sure", Rini admitted. "Actually, I'm not sure why I said that in the first place. It just…kind of made sense. I don't know why."

"It is because of the power that surrounds this holy place", as strange voice said from behind her. "The power of the wild woods." The half-elf turned around to see a strange woman standing some distance into the trees, watching the adventurers coolly. As she slowly approached Zaerini took in her disheveled brown hair, with twigs and mud clinging to it, the impassive face dominated by a pair of cold gray eyes, and the clothes, gray and brown leather cunningly sewn together to resemble leaves. "I am Faldorn", the woman said. "A protector of this forest, and a member of the True Druids."

Before the bard could respond Jaheira stepped forward, eyes blazing and a hand on the hilt of her scimitar. "Shadowdruid", she growled, never taking her eyes off Faldorn. "So your destructive ways have spread this far."

Faldorn smiled, but there was no warmth to that smile. "Our way is the True Way, weakling", she said. "It is you who would destroy the holy groves and wildernesses of the world, by letting so called 'civilization' spread, like parasites devouring an ancient tree."

"Unlike you, who would needlessly slaughter all mankind, wanting to frighten them away from the woods rather than teaching them to cherish them."

Faldorn shrugged. "At the moment, it matters not what you or I will. You have come here, unto the home of the Archdruid, and rather than having you all slain for your trespassing he has decided to be merciful - for now. He wishes to speak with you, and he has sent me to tell you so."

"And i-if we r-r-refuse?" Khalid said, his voice uncharacteristically firm. "What th-then, Shadowdruid?"

"Then, you will all die, for the very ground and the trees will rise up against you at the Archdruid's command. It is your choice." Faldorn sounded utterly convinced that she was speaking the truth.

"Very well", Rini said. "We will come and see this 'Archdruid' of yours." There was no way of knowing whether Faldorn was lying or not, but she could tell that this was no ordinary place. If she were to fight a druidic sect in the heart of their own power she would prefer to do so when not taken by surprise.

Faldorn simply nodded and led the way to the great tree, pressing her palm against the door when she reached it. It swung open without a sound, and the Shadowdruid led the adventurers inside.

The inside of the tree seemed somehow even larger than the outside. There were no windows, but a pleasant green light emanated from the walls. Passing through a first room holding only a few austere pieces of furniture, Faldorn guided the adventurers up a narrow flight of stairs winding itself up inside the tree-trunk. They came out into a second room, a bedchamber by the looks of it. The man who was turned from one of the bookcases to greet them looked extremely odd, Zaerini thought, even for somebody living inside a giant tree. His manner of dress was similar to Faldorn's, green and brown leathers decorated with patterns resembling leaves and vines. He was of indeterminate age, his tangled salt-and-pepper beard and hair making it difficult to tell, and he was very, very dirty. Mud and twigs were stuck in his hair, clothes and beards, and Rini even thought she could spot a dead beetle somewhere in there. The reek that surrounded him was such that it made it difficult to breathe.

I wonder why religious fanatics so often seem to be opposed to the concept of soap and water, she thought. Maybe they think there's something particularly holy about dirt.

"So, you have come", he said in a voice that reminded the bard of the creaking of a very old door. Probably spent so much time rolling in the mud that he's forgotten how to talk. "Who dares presume to trespass upon nature's territory whilst A Shadow Archdruid looks on? Who could be so hungry for death? More of that softhearted fool Seniyad's weakling pawns no doubt! How he can be one of the three with his pacifist attitudes is beyond logic!"

Seniyad? Zaerini thought. That was the one who wanted to slaughter Aldeth for hunting a little game in the forest, wasn't it? And if he's a softhearted fool, then I really don't think I'm going to like this guy.

"Pardon my ignorance", she said, determined to buy some time. "Just what is an Archdruid?"

The man's face tightened in a fierce scowl. Or at least she thought it did. Underneath all that hair it was hard to tell for sure. "Ignorance is never to be pardoned!", he snapped. "Lessons hard learnt are the ones best remembered. I shall enlighten you, and then pose my question again. I am an Archdruid of the Shadow Druids, one of the few with my level of experience, and it is our duty to purge nature of outsiders. Druidic orders that think people can exist alongside nature are doomed to fail. I and my devoted followers shall restore nature to its former glory the only way possible: active aggression! So again I put it to you: who are you to dare trespass in nature's territory? Decadent city-dwellers, no doubt."

"Tell me something", Edwin said in an urbane voice that instantly set off warning-bells inside Rini's head. "In this commendable urge to 'purge nature', did perhaps you and your devoted followers forget to purge yourselves? You do look as if you could use it. Here's a small tip for you. B-A-T-H. Just a little something us decadent city-dwellers invented millennia ago in order not to make the eyes of others water from our body-odor. You might want to look into it. Who knows, after a thorough washing you may even start looking human. (Though I sincerely doubt it. More likely he's dirt through and through and will simply dissolve altogether.)"

"Impertinence!" Faldorn sputtered. "We are Shadowdruids. We live like animals, wild and free. Animals do not wash!"

Really? Softpaws waspishly commented. Shows how much you really know about animals, Stinky.

"You dare insult me while we stand on holy ground?" the Archdruid intoned in a dangerous voice.

"Stand?" Rini said. "Looks more like you smeared your 'holy ground' all over yourself. What's the matter? Trying to cover an embarrassing rash you got from dallying with a rabid bear?" Then she gave Faldorn an apologetic glance. "Oops. Sorry. Didn't mean to let the others know about your little secret." She had decided that the situation was probably unsalvageable anyway. She might as well tell the two Shadowdruids exactly what she thought of them.

"As bluntly as the children put it", Jaheira said, "they are quite right. You are abominations, thinking to own nature rather than to guard it. Nature is the birthright of all, not just those called to become druids! And you are mistaken. I do not think people need to exist alongside nature. People are part of nature, and the role of the druid is to help make them remember that."

"Then die", the Archdruid snarled, "and may your corpse feed the Great Trees." He immediately started chanting a spell, Faldorn following his example. Rini wasted no time, quickly intoning the words to summon Magic Missiles. There was a curious ringing in her ears, but she ignored it, thinking only of the battle ahead. The spell formed inside her mind, it launched - but something was wrong. Her entire body was tingling, and rather than the glowing balls of energy she had been expecting she felt something cold and wet against her face. Snow?! she thought. Inside a tree?!

And snow it was, a veritable snowstorm suddenly raging inside the closed space of the room, half blinding the combatants, whipping against their faces. Something had taken her spell and twisted it all up. "Edwin, don't!" the bard screamed as she suddenly recalled seeing the wizard starting a spell of his own. But it was too late. Edwin finished his spell, and as he did he was suddenly enveloped by a cloud of bright red smoke. When it cleared the wizard was nowhere to be seen. A dark gray wolf stood there in his stead, looking extremely puzzled about what had happened. A Wild Magic field, Rini realized. And it seems to only affect arcane magic, not priestly. We are in such trouble now…Gods, I hope Eddie is all right!

Meanwhile the Archdruid finished his spell, a blade of roaring flames leaping into his hands. Faldorn's skin took on a brown tinge and became as hard as the bark of an old tree. Abandoning all thoughts of further spellcasting Zaerini started firing arrows at the two druids in hopes of interrupting their spells, and Imoen did the same. It was hard to aim in the still ongoing snowstorm though. Khalid drew his sword, and as it met the flaming blade of the Archdruid sparks flew high and sizzled in the whirling snow. Jaheira finished a spell of her own, and suddenly she seemed to grow in stature, her eyes taking on a cold glow. As she turned on Faldorn the Shadowdruid shied back in fear, but the effect was only temporary. Spinning around Faldorn twisted away from Jaheira, and in a swirl of flashing light she shifted form, fur erupting from her skin, jaws elongating into a muzzle until she had fully changed into a growling brown wolf.

Jaheira's mouth set in a grim line as she watched the approaching animal. Raising her hands again she began another spell, but Rini had no time to watch her further, being forced to concentrate on the Archdruid. Khalid was hard pressed. The druid was no great swordsman by any means, but his flaming sword forced the half-elven warrior to take extra care, and kept him at a distance. At least it had stopped snowing by now.

Edwin, meanwhile, had got over the worst shock of suddenly finding himself transformed into a lupine form, and since he was currently unable to use magic he had apparently decided to let the instincts of the wolf body take over. He leapt without making a sound, burying sharp fangs in the meaty flesh of the Archdruid's thigh, sending hot blood spurting all over the room as the druid screamed with pain. The transformed wizard hung on for dear life, his paws sliding across the smooth floor as his victim tried to kick and beat him off. And then there was a gray blur in the air and the druid's screams of pain and anger ended in a choked gurgle as his throat was violently ripped open.

Faldorn?! Zaerini confusedly thought at the sight of this second wolf. But no…this wolf was gray, not brown. The female wolf shook the dead body a final time, then licked her muzzle clean. Despite her ferocious appearance her green eyes were clear and focused. "Jaheira?!" the bard exclaimed, hardly believing her eyes. The wolf shimmered briefly and Jaheira assumed her normal form, wiping her face clean with her sleeve. Rini turned her head to see Faldorn, still in wolf shape, break free of the holding spell that had immobilized her and run off down the stairs, her tail firmly tucked between her legs.

"Oh no", Imoen said. "She's getting away!"

"Pfeh", the druid snorted. "That one is just a low wolf. She's not worth the trouble."

Speaking of wolves, where's…"Edwin!" Rini shouted and threw herself at the wolf that was unsteadily getting to his feet again, scrambling out from beneath the Archdruid's corpse, hastily running her hands through the thick fur to check for injuries. Most of the blood seemed to be the druid's fortunately enough. The wolf stood motionless, allowing her to fuss over him without seeming to mind in the slightest. In fact, she thought she could see his tail wag slowly. So intent was the half-elf on her ministrations that she barely noticed the sound of quiet chanting behind her, or the white glow that filled the air. She did notice that she was suddenly standing very close to a very human wizard however. Very, very close. And with her arms…wrapped around him…very tightly indeed…

"Ooops!" Zaerini blurted out, feeling her cheeks burn as hot as the Archdruid's now extinguished sword had done as she took a step backwards. "Sorry! I…I didn't mean…"

"No, no, that is quite all r-right", Edwin stammered, looking almost as embarrassed as she felt. "In fact, I actually…er…that is…I quite appreciate your concern, misguided as it is. I could have handled him on my own, you know. (Yes…very….very pleasant indeed. Now if only there wasn't a huge audience of goggling monkeys to witness this.)"

"Are you sure you're not hurt?"

Perhaps you want to give him a more thorough examination? Softpaws innocently asked. I'm sure he'd oblige.

Softy, stop it. He could have been seriously harmed. Even…even killed.

So pet him a little more. You both certainly seemed to enjoy it.

SOFTY!

"I am fine", Edwin said, and then made a face. "Well, for the most part." He turned to Jaheira. "I'm surprised you aren't on the floor puking your guts out. I know I certainly feel like it."

"What?" Rini asked. "Being a wolf was that bad?"

"No, no. Not in itself." The wizard shuddered with disgust. "But I bit him, didn't I? Would you believe it, he tasted even worse than he smelled?"

In The Cards
Rogues do it from behind.

#2 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 11 May 2002 - 07:54 AM

> "So who do you suppose lives in a place like that?" Zaerini

> asked her friends. "I can imagine a few reasonable alternatives

> myself."

> "Such as?" Edwin asked.

> "Well…it could be a wicked old man-eating hag."

Close, but not close enough. :-)

> "It is because of the power that surrounds this holy place", as

> strange voice said from behind her. "The power of the wild

> woods." The half-elf turned around to see a strange woman standing

> some distance into the trees, watching the adventurers coolly. As she

> slowly approached Zaerini took in her disheveled brown hair, with twigs

> and mud clinging to it, the impassive face dominated by a pair of cold

> gray eyes, and the clothes, gray and brown leather cunningly sewn together

> to resemble leaves. "I am Faldorn", the woman said. "A

> protector of this forest, and a member of the True Druids."

Grr, not this one.

> The inside of the tree seemed somehow even larger than the outside. There

> were no windows, but a pleasant green light emanated from the walls.

> Passing through a first room holding only a few austere pieces of

> furniture, Faldorn guided the adventurers up a narrow flight of stairs

> winding itself up inside the tree-trunk. They came out into a second room,

> a bedchamber by the looks of it. The man who was turned from one of the

> bookcases to greet them looked extremely odd, Zaerini thought, even for

> somebody living inside a giant tree. His manner of dress was similar to

> Faldorn's, green and brown leathers decorated with patterns resembling

> leaves and vines. He was of indeterminate age, his tangled salt-and-pepper

> beard and hair making it difficult to tell, and he was very, very dirty.

> Mud and twigs were stuck in his hair, clothes and beards, and Rini even

> thought she could spot a dead beetle somewhere in there. The reek that

> surrounded him was such that it made it difficult to breathe.

Eeewww!

> "Tell me something", Edwin said in an urbane voice that

> instantly set off warning-bells inside Rini's head. "In this

> commendable urge to 'purge nature', did perhaps you and your devoted

> followers forget to purge yourselves ? You do look as if you could use

> it. Here's a small tip for you. B-A-T-H. Just a little something us

> decadent city-dwellers invented millennia ago in order not to make the

> eyes of others water from our body-odor. You might want to look into it.

> Who knows, after a thorough washing you may even start looking human.

> (Though I sincerely doubt it. More likely he's dirt through and through

> and will simply dissolve altogether.)"

Uh-Oh, Eddie's done it again. :-D

> Edwin, meanwhile, had got over the worst shock of suddenly finding himself

> transformed into a lupine form, and since he was currently unable to use

> magic he had apparently decided to let the instincts of the wolf body take

> over. He leapt without making a sound, burying sharp fangs in the meaty

> flesh of the Archdruid's thigh, sending hot blood spurting all over the

> room as the druid screamed with pain. The transformed wizard hung on for

> dear life, his paws sliding across the smooth floor as his victim tried to

> kick and beat him off. And then there was a gray blur in the air and the

> druid's screams of pain and anger ended in a choked gurgle as his throat

> was violently ripped open.

Hah! That sounds exactly like Edwin as a wolf. :)

> Speaking of wolves, where's… "Edwin!" Rini shouted and threw

> herself at the wolf that was unsteadily getting to his feet again,

> scrambling out from beneath the Archdruid's corpse, hastily running her

> hands through the thick fur to check for injuries. Most of the blood

> seemed to be the druid's fortunately enough. The wolf stood motionless,

> allowing her to fuss over him without seeming to mind in the slightest. In

> fact, she thought she could see his tail wag slowly. So intent was the

> half-elf on her ministrations that she barely noticed the sound of quiet

> chanting behind her, or the white glow that filled the air. She did

> notice that she was suddenly standing very close to a very human wizard

> however. Very, very close. And with her arms…wrapped around him…very

> tightly indeed…

You like Rini? ;)

> "Are you sure you're not hurt?"

> Perhaps you want to give him a more thorough examination? Softpaws

> innocently asked. I'm sure he'd oblige.

> Softy, stop it. He could have been seriously harmed. Even…even killed.

> So pet him a little more. You both certainly seemed to enjoy it.

LOL! I like this familiar. ;)

> "No, no. Not in itself ." The wizard shuddered with disgust.

> "But I bit him, didn't I? Would you believe it, he tasted even

> worse than he smelled?"

Eeewww!

#3 Laufey

Posted 11 May 2002 - 08:15 AM

> Grr, not this one.

Is there *anybody* out there who is a fan of Faldorn? I've never heard of one.

> Uh-Oh, Eddie's done it again. :-)

He's got a talent for aggravating people, that's for sure. :-D

> Hah! That sounds exactly like Edwin as a wolf. :)

Glad you thought so!

> You like Rini? ;)

Rini: Well...I guess...

> LOL! I like this familiar. ;)

Softpaws: Purrrrr! What a *nice* human you are!

In The Cards

#4 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 11 May 2002 - 08:56 AM

> In The Cards 94 - Dirty Druids A shapechange can be both exhilarating

> and frightening. You take on the strengths and weaknesses of the new form,

> as well as its instincts. You should always bear this in mind, as those

> instincts may well lead you into acts with unpleasant consequences.

You really don't want to know what inages the title and prologue of this section brought into my head...must have a dirty mind.

> Excerpt from 'Ruminations Of A Master Bard' There was a house in the

> heart of the Cloakwood Forest. This might not have been so strange in

> itself, if it hadn't been for the shape of it. A magnificent tree stood

> there, its branches seemingly scraping the sky, the trunk too wide for a

> score of men to encircle with their arms. And in the middle of that

> tree-trunk there was a door. A smooth, unpainted door, almost invisible

> against the rest of the tree. It was as if it hadn't so much been placed

> there, as grown out of the tree itself.

I want a house like that, it sounds cool!

> myself."

Always the optimist...

I like the way they call themselves by a different name to what everyone else calls them. I've often wondered about shadow druids: once they've killed off civilization, and the citys are rubble and weeds, do they kill themselves as the last humans left?

> Before the bard could respond Jaheira stepped forward, eyes blazing and a

> hand on the hilt of her scimitar. "Shadowdruid", she growled,

> never taking her eyes off Faldorn. "So your destructive ways have

> spread this far."

Somehow I don't think Jaheira and Faldorn are going to be friends. Funny they have the same voice actress, though.

> "And i-if we r-r-refuse?" Khalid said, his voice

> uncharacteristically firm. "What th-then, Shadowdruid?"

That's firm?!

> "Then, you will all die, for the very ground and the trees will rise

> up against you at the Archdruid's command. It is your choice."

> Faldorn sounded utterly convinced that she was speaking the truth.

If they can make houses like that, I don't doubt it. It may take a few decades, though...

> I wonder why religious fanatics so often seem to be opposed to the

> concept of soap and water , she thought. Maybe they think there's

> something particularly holy about dirt. "So, you have come", he

> said in a voice that reminded the bard of the creaking of a very old door.

> Probably spent so much time rolling in the mud that he's forgotten how to

> talk. "Who dares presume to trespass upon nature's territory whilst

> A Shadow Archdruid looks on? Who could be so hungry for death? More of

> that softhearted fool Seniyad's weakling pawns no doubt! How he can be one

> of the three with his pacifist attitudes is beyond logic!"

Eek, now that is a scary thought!

> instantly set off warning-bells inside Rini's head.

Ohhh dear, weapons on standby...

> "Impertinence!" Faldorn sputtered. "We are Shadowdruids. We

> live like animals, wild and free. Animals do not wash !"

> Really? Softpaws waspishly commented. Shows how much you really know

> about animals, Stinky. "You dare insult me while we stand on holy

> ground?" the Archdruid intoned in a dangerous voice.

So often you hear fanatics claim they live like animals and are in touch with their instincts, which merely shows how little they know about animals...

> "As bluntly as the children put it", Jaheira said, "they

> are quite right. You are abominations, thinking to own nature rather

> than to guard it. Nature is the birthright of all , not just those called

> to become druids! And you are mistaken. I do not think people need to

> exist alongside nature. People are part of nature, and the role of the

> druid is to help make them remember that."

oooh, Jaheira is using that high wisdom score!

> "Edwin, don't!" the bard screamed as she

> suddenly recalled seeing the wizard starting a spell of his own. But it

> was too late. Edwin finished his spell, and as he did he was suddenly

> enveloped by a cloud of bright red smoke. When it cleared the wizard was

> nowhere to be seen. A dark gray wolf stood there in his stead, looking

> extremely puzzled about what had happened.

Oops!

> A Wild Magic field , Rini

> realized.

First time Eddie cast in one of those in my game, he got turned into a woman. Again. Talk about bad luck.

> And it seems to only affect arcane magic, not priestly. We are

> in such trouble now…Gods, I hope Eddie is all right!

You're all about to die, but you worry about Eddie...

> transformed into a lupine form,

Lupine, heheheh! (notices baffled stares) Sorry, private joke :-)

> and since he was currently unable to use

> kick and beat him off.

He's gonna have a really sore jaw soon.

> And then there was a gray blur in the air and the

The gang: 10236, Druids: 0.

> Faldorn?! Zaerini confusedly thought at the sight of this second wolf.

> But no…this wolf was gray, not brown. The female wolf shook the dead body

> a final time, then licked her muzzle clean. Despite her ferocious

> appearance her green eyes were clear and focused. "Jaheira?!"

> the bard exclaimed, hardly believing her eyes. The wolf shimmered briefly

> and Jaheira assumed her normal form, wiping her face clean with her

> sleeve. Rini turned her head to see Faldorn, still in wolf shape, break

> free of the holding spell that had immobilized her and run off down the

> stairs, her tail firmly tucked between her legs.

Do you suppose that Faldorn is really a grey wolf, but so dirty she looks brown?

> The wolf stood motionless,

> allowing her to fuss over him without seeming to mind in the slightest.

I bet he did!

> In

> tightly indeed…

LOL!

> "Ooops!" Zaerini blurted out, feeling her cheeks burn as hot as

> the Archdruid's now extinguished sword had done as she took a step

> backwards. "Sorry! I…I didn't mean…"

> "No, no, that is quite all r-right", Edwin stammered, looking

> almost as embarrassed as she felt. "In fact, I actually…er…that is…I

> quite appreciate your concern, misguided as it is. I could have handled

> him on my own, you know. (Yes…very….very pleasant indeed. Now if only

> there wasn't a huge audience of goggling monkeys to witness this.)"

Hehehe, 'I appreciate your concern' rofl!

> SOFTY!

Softy has higher wis than Rini, I think :-D.

>"I am fine", Edwin said, and then made a face.

> "Well, for the most part." He turned to Jaheira. "I'm

> surprised you aren't on the floor puking your guts out. I know I certainly

> feel like it."

> "What?" Rini asked. "Being a wolf was that bad?"

Hahah, lovely punchline at the end there!

Loved the whole thing :)

#5 Laufey

Posted 11 May 2002 - 09:04 AM

> You really don't want to know what inages the title and prologue of this

> section brought into my head...must have a dirty mind.

*grin* I can imagine. Too bad I can't let Rini and Eddie indulge in those particular animal instincts just yet, for story reasons.

> I like the way they call themselves by a different name to what everyone

> else calls them. I've often wondered about shadow druids: once they've

> killed off civilization, and the citys are rubble and weeds, do they kill

> themselves as the last humans left?

That's exactly what I wondered as I was writing this. But then again, fanatics aren't exactly famous for being logical, now are they?

> Somehow I don't think Jaheira and Faldorn are going to be friends. Funny

> they have the same voice actress, though.

They do? I didn't know that. I kind of like Faldorn's voiceset actually, I've used it for some of my NPC:s.

> That's firm?!

For Khalid, it is. :-)

> Ohhh dear, weapons on standby...

Rini knows Eddie pretty well by now. :-D

> So often you hear fanatics claim they live like animals and are in touch

> with their instincts, which merely shows how little they know about

> animals...

Very, very true.

> First time Eddie cast in one of those in my game, he got turned into a

> woman. Again. Talk about bad luck.

*snicker* Poor Eddie. That's really cruel.

> You're all about to die, but you worry about Eddie...

Of course. You have to keep your priorities straight. :)

> Lupine, heheheh! (notices baffled stares) Sorry, private joke ;)

*grin* I like that word myself, you know.

> Do you suppose that Faldorn is really a grey wolf, but so dirty she looks

> brown?

Could very well be, though I didn't really think about it.

> I bet he did!

Yes he did. :)

> Softy has higher wis than Rini, I think ;).

Softpaws: Now how did you guess that?

> Hahah, lovely punchline at the end there!

> Loved the whole thing :)

Thanks very much! :)

In The Cards

#6 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 11 May 2002 - 01:22 PM

> "No, no", Imoen protested. "Those are supposed to live in

> gingerbread houses. Not in trees."

LOL! Immy is an expert on things like this in Peri's world too :-)

One scary fanatic bitch.

> something particularly holy about dirt.

LOL! The wu jen of Kara-Tur may not wash themselves or cut their hair. I'm not sure I would like to travel with one.

Uh-oh, Edwin went into his diplomacy mode.

Awwwwww!

Bleugh >:-D

Makings of a monster

#7 Laufey

Posted 11 May 2002 - 01:27 PM

> LOL! Immy is an expert on things like this in Peri's world too :)

Figures. :-)

> One scary fanatic bitch.

I wonder if anybody has Faldorn as favorite character. I've never heard anybody claim her as such at least.

> LOL! The wu jen of Kara-Tur may not wash themselves or cut their hair. I'm

> not sure I would like to travel with one.

I certainly wouldn't want to share a room at an inn with one. What are they, anyway?

> Uh-oh, Edwin went into his diplomacy mode.

Famed...and feared. :-D

> Awwwwww!

Thank you! ;)

In The Cards

#8 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 11 May 2002 - 01:33 PM

> I wonder if anybody has Faldorn as favorite character. I've never heard

> anybody claim her as such at least.

Me neither.

> I certainly wouldn't want to share a room at an inn with one. What are

> they, anyway?

They are eccentric arcane spell casters, who often live as hermits (gee, I wonder why).

Makings of a monster

#9 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 11 May 2002 - 02:10 PM

hehehe

The Wolf: *snarls* Like hell.

LOL!

The Wolf: News flash, wacko, we actually do!

> "Stand?" Rini said. "Looks more like you smeared your 'holy

> ground' all over yourself. What's the matter? Trying to cover an

> embarrassing rash you got from dallying with a rabid bear?" Then she

> gave Faldorn an apologetic glance. "Oops. Sorry. Didn't mean to let

> the others know about your little secret." She had decided that the

> situation was probably unsalvageable anyway. She might as well tell the

> two Shadowdruids exactly what she thought of them.

*evil laughter*

> "Pfeh", the druid snorted. "That one is just a low wolf.

> She's not worth the trouble."

The Wolf: How true.

> tightly indeed…

Awww....

LMAO! What a familiar you have, Rini!

The Wolf: Yuck.

Great story,

Loved it,

H'kira n' the Wolf

#10 Laufey

Posted 11 May 2002 - 02:13 PM

> The Wolf: News flash, wacko, we actually do!

Softpaws: We certainly do. Why, I wash several times a day myself.

> Awww....

Thank you! :-)

> LMAO! What a familiar you have, Rini!

Rini: She's a great friend, and a great support. Sometimes she's also a great annoyance.

> Great story,

> Loved it,

> H'kira n' the Wolf

Thank you, and thanks for the comments! :-D

In The Cards

#11 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 11 May 2002 - 04:20 PM

> and frightening. You take on the strengths and weaknesses of the new form,

> as well as its instincts. You should always bear this in mind, as those

> instincts may well lead you into acts with unpleasant consequences.

Ah, this place.

> myself."

Immy knows her fairytales.

> "Oh. I suppose so. How about a friendly old Grandma?"

> "Inside a tree?" Jaheira said, sounding incredulous. "And

> whose Grandmother are we talking about anyway?"

> "I…I'm not sure", Rini admitted. "Actually, I'm not sure

> why I said that in the first place. It just…kind of made sense. I don't

> know why."

And to start off the eye rolling here's humanity's gift to nature!

> Before the bard could respond Jaheira stepped forward, eyes blazing and a

> hand on the hilt of her scimitar. "Shadowdruid", she growled,

> never taking her eyes off Faldorn. "So your destructive ways have

> spread this far."

> Faldorn smiled, but there was no warmth to that smile. "Our way is

> the True Way, weakling", she said. "It is you who would destroy

> the holy groves and wildernesses of the world, by letting so called

> 'civilization' spread, like parasites devouring an ancient tree."

> "Unlike you, who would needlessly slaughter all mankind, wanting to

> frighten them away from the woods rather than teaching them to cherish

> them."

Ah, the obligatory insult trading.

> Faldorn shrugged. "At the moment, it matters not what you or I will.

> You have come here, unto the home of the Archdruid, and rather than having

> you all slain for your trespassing he has decided to be merciful - for

> now. He wishes to speak with you, and he has sent me to tell you so."

Oh yes. You just know things will not go well with people who give options like these.

> "Very well", Rini said. "We will come and see this

> 'Archdruid' of yours." There was no way of knowing whether Faldorn

> was lying or not, but she could tell that this was no ordinary place. If

> she were to fight a druidic sect in the heart of their own power she would

> prefer to do so when not taken by surprise.

> Faldorn simply nodded and led the way to the great tree, pressing her palm

> against the door when she reached it. It swung open without a sound, and

> the Shadowdruid led the adventurers inside.

> winding itself up inside the tree-trunk. They came out into a second room,

> a bedchamber by the looks of it. The man who was turned from one of the

> bookcases to greet them looked extremely odd, Zaerini thought, even for

> somebody living inside a giant tree. His manner of dress was similar to

> Faldorn's, green and brown leathers decorated with patterns resembling

> leaves and vines. He was of indeterminate age, his tangled salt-and-pepper

> beard and hair making it difficult to tell, and he was very, very dirty.

Oh yeah! Why can't the world have just one clean fanatic? *Listens to a muttering off to the side* Oh. It's in the Fanatic's Handbook: Soap is evil, like toast. (Heh!)

> "So, you have come", he

> said in a voice that reminded the bard of the creaking of a very old door.

> Probably spent so much time rolling in the mud that he's forgotten how to

> talk. "Who dares presume to trespass upon nature's territory whilst

> A Shadow Archdruid looks on? Who could be so hungry for death? More of

> that softhearted fool Seniyad's weakling pawns no doubt! How he can be one

> of the three with his pacifist attitudes is beyond logic!"

> Seniyad? Zaerini thought. That was the one who wanted to slaughter

> Aldeth for hunting a little game in the forest, wasn't it? And if he's a

> softhearted fool, then I really don't think I'm going to like this

> guy. "Pardon my ignorance", she said, determined to buy some

> time. "Just what is an Archdruid?"

> The man's face tightened in a fierce scowl. Or at least she thought it

> did. Underneath all that hair it was hard to tell for sure.

> "Ignorance is never to be pardoned!", he snapped. "Lessons

> hard learnt are the ones best remembered. I shall enlighten you, and then

> pose my question again. I am an Archdruid of the Shadow Druids, one of the

> few with my level of experience, and it is our duty to purge nature of

> outsiders. Druidic orders that think people can exist alongside nature are

> doomed to fail. I and my devoted followers shall restore nature to its

> former glory the only way possible: active aggression! So again I put it

> to you: who are you to dare trespass in nature's territory? Decadent

> city-dwellers, no doubt."

Ah this meeting is gonna go down hill real fast now!

*A chorus of protests can be heard from Missy, Grey & Keari - animal companions of Narri, the Ranger Jeminar (post-ToB) & Narri's Aerie* Fat lot she knows!

> about animals, Stinky.

Missy: You said it Softy!

> "You dare insult me while we stand on holy

> ground?" the Archdruid intoned in a dangerous voice.

> "Stand?" Rini said. "Looks more like you smeared your 'holy

> ground' all over yourself. What's the matter? Trying to cover an

> embarrassing rash you got from dallying with a rabid bear?" Then she

> gave Faldorn an apologetic glance. "Oops. Sorry. Didn't mean to let

> the others know about your little secret." She had decided that the

> situation was probably unsalvageable anyway. She might as well tell the

> two Shadowdruids exactly what she thought of them.

> "As bluntly as the children put it", Jaheira said, "they

> are quite right. You are abominations, thinking to own nature rather

> than to guard it. Nature is the birthright of all , not just those called

> to become druids! And you are mistaken. I do not think people need to

> exist alongside nature. People are part of nature, and the role of the

> druid is to help make them remember that."

Now you see why I like Jaheira? For all her abrasiveness she's not a raving fanatic.

> "Then die", the Archdruid snarled, "and may your corpse

> feed the Great Trees."

Idiot.

> He immediately started chanting a spell,

> Faldorn following his example. Rini wasted no time, quickly intoning the

> words to summon Magic Missiles. There was a curious ringing in her ears,

> but she ignored it, thinking only of the battle ahead. The spell formed

> inside her mind, it launched - but something was wrong. Her entire body

> was tingling, and rather than the glowing balls of energy she had been

> expecting she felt something cold and wet against her face. Snow?! she

> thought. Inside a tree ?! And snow it was, a veritable snowstorm

> suddenly raging inside the closed space of the room, half blinding the

> combatants, whipping against their faces. Something had taken her spell

> and twisted it all up. "Edwin, don't!" the bard screamed as she

OH! I bet he makes a good looking wolf though!

Grey: *And he's grey too!*

> A Wild Magic field , Rini

> realized. And it seems to only affect arcane magic, not priestly. We are

> in such trouble now…Gods, I hope Eddie is all right! Meanwhile the

> Archdruid finished his spell, a blade of roaring flames leaping into his

> hands. Faldorn's skin took on a brown tinge and became as hard as the bark

> of an old tree. Abandoning all thoughts of further spellcasting Zaerini

> started firing arrows at the two druids in hopes of interrupting their

> spells, and Imoen did the same. It was hard to aim in the still ongoing

> snowstorm though. Khalid drew his sword, and as it met the flaming blade

> of the Archdruid sparks flew high and sizzled in the whirling snow.

> Jaheira finished a spell of her own, and suddenly she seemed to grow in

> stature, her eyes taking on a cold glow. As she turned on Faldorn the

> Shadowdruid shied back in fear, but the effect was only temporary.

> Spinning around Faldorn twisted away from Jaheira, and in a swirl of

> flashing light she shifted form, fur erupting from her skin, jaws

> elongating into a muzzle until she had fully changed into a growling brown

> wolf.

> Jaheira's mouth set in a grim line as she watched the approaching animal.

> Raising her hands again she began another spell, but Rini had no time to

> watch her further, being forced to concentrate on the Archdruid. Khalid

> was hard pressed. The druid was no great swordsman by any means, but his

> flaming sword forced the half-elven warrior to take extra care, and kept

> him at a distance. At least it had stopped snowing by now.

> "Oh no", Imoen said. "She's getting away!"

Grey: *Definately not an alpha!*

> tightly indeed…

*grins*

> "Ooops!" Zaerini blurted out, feeling her cheeks burn as hot as

> the Archdruid's now extinguished sword had done as she took a step

> backwards. "Sorry! I…I didn't mean…"

I'm sure he would too!

*Giggles from second row*

> SOFTY! "I am fine", Edwin said, and then made a face.

> "Well, for the most part." He turned to Jaheira. "I'm

> feel like it."

Yeah I'd believe that!

Good story Laufey!

It seems I can't quite control my wolfish friend here *nods towards Grey*, hope you don't mind his comments.

-Hyper. As I collect Bhaaltwits & their friends & also seem to collect familiars & animal companions. Soon I'll have a three ring circus!

#12 Laufey

Posted 11 May 2002 - 05:43 PM

>

> Oh yes. You just know things will not go well with people who give options

> like these.

Shadow Druids just aren't People Persons. :-(

> Oh yeah! Why can't the world have just one clean fanatic? *Listens to

> a muttering off to the side* Oh. It's in the Fanatic's Handbook: Soap is

> evil, like toast. (Heh!)

Exactly.

> > Now you see why I like Jaheira? For all her abrasiveness she's not a

> raving fanatic.

I like Jaheira myself. Irritating as she can be at times she is fundamentally decent, I think.

> OH! I bet he makes a good looking wolf though!

I'm sure he does, just like his Dad. :-)

> Good story Laufey!

> It seems I can't quite control my wolfish friend here *nods towards Grey*,

> hope you don't mind his comments.

Course not! And thanks for the comments! :-)

In The Cards

#13 Weyoun

Posted 11 May 2002 - 07:20 PM

How about some squirrels then? A pair of... seven feet tall man-eating squirrels... :-(

> "I…I'm not sure", Rini admitted. "Actually, I'm not sure

> why I said that in the first place. It just…kind of made sense. I don't

> know why."

Hey, that's interesting. A bit of foreshadowing mayhaps?

> Faldorn smiled, but there was no warmth to that smile. "Our way is

> the True Way, weakling", she said. "It is you who would destroy

> the holy groves and wildernesses of the world, by letting so called

> 'civilization' spread, like parasites devouring an ancient tree."

> "Unlike you, who would needlessly slaughter all mankind, wanting to

> frighten them away from the woods rather than teaching them to cherish

> them."

> Faldorn shrugged. "At the moment, it matters not what you or I will.

> You have come here, unto the home of the Archdruid, and rather than having

> you all slain for your trespassing he has decided to be merciful - for

> now. He wishes to speak with you, and he has sent me to tell you so."

Don't you just hate those Eco Terrorists? :-)

LOL! Heh. being such nature-lovers, they must like the smell...

> about animals, Stinky.

LOL!

Judging from what will happen in the future, I think Eddie would prefer to be a wolf over being a woman... :-)

Errr, if you say so! Great battles, btw..

LOL! Adding insult to injury... well, death, really. 8)

Great story,

---Weyoun

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#14 Laufey

Posted 11 May 2002 - 07:24 PM

> Don't you just hate those Eco Terrorists? :-(

Majorly annoying. ;)

> Judging from what will happen in the future, I think Eddie would prefer to

> be a wolf over being a woman... :-)

Probably...but then getting turned into a woman will have its own part in the romance. ;)

> LOL! Adding insult to injury... well, death, really. :-)

That's the way to handle things. 8)

In The Cards

#15 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 11 May 2002 - 08:26 PM

That would certainly be just the luck of a Bhaalspawn.

Friendly? Unlikely.

A good description.

She'll be back, I'm guessing.

#16 Laufey

Posted 11 May 2002 - 08:29 PM

> Friendly? Unlikely.

A Bhaalspawn meets few friendly people.

> A good description.

Thank you! :-(

> She'll be back, I'm guessing.

Oh yes. But not for a long time.

In The Cards

#17 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 12 May 2002 - 02:16 AM

Reminds me of the tree house from Icewind Dale game. Fortunately the Archdruid was quite nice there.

> myself."

Er, why does it remind me of Red Riding Hood? :-(

As she

Ah, her. Funny thing, she always comes back like a bad dream.

> winding itself up inside the tree-trunk.

Souns like a nice place they got themselves there. :-)

Grunt. Do they have it written in the book somewhere?

'Soap is bad, mud is good'

Actually I always felt contraversial about SD's If they are so bad, how come they are still druids? Aren't they supposed to be 'true neutral'? Well nevermind the alignment, they still serve Silvanus and get their spells. That's unless they are Malarans.

My thought exactly.

" Snow?! she

> thought. Inside a tree ?! And snow it was, a veritable snowstorm

> suddenly raging inside the closed space of the room, half blinding the

> combatants, whipping against their faces. Something had taken her spell

> and twisted it all up. "Edwin, don't!" the bard screamed as she

> extremely puzzled about what had happened. A Wild Magic field , Rini

> realized.

Auch! Trouble.It's good at least that Edwin turned himself into a wolf - not a toad!

> But no…this wolf was gray, not brown.

Now you have a whole pack!

Faldorn, still in wolf shape, break

Yep, she will be back, and in a cat form that time. :-)

The wolf stood motionless,

> tightly indeed…

Ahem, they are well past the first stage I gather. I don't think you can keep them from doing something drastic for much longer. /grin

Eeek! A mouthful of unclean archdruidic leg.

Exciting installment, as always! It is the mines next - right?

Mirror page - The Story of a Girl withou

#18 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 12 May 2002 - 03:45 AM

> and frightening.

Kudos on your opening! Had *no* idea about the reluctant shapechanging participant. Hmm, but does this individual find another, ahem, *later* involuntary shapechange exilerating too? :-o Guess you'll let us know in SoA.

> There was a house in the

> heart of the Cloakwood Forest. ... ETC.

Excellent description

> "Our way is

> the True Way, weakling", she said.

Thank you for showing their mode of thinking here, getting into the Shadowdruids' minds.

> concept of soap and water , she thought.

Soap is a natural product, too.

[Pumps fist in air] You rock, Edwin!!

> Edwin finished his spell, and as he did he was suddenly

LOL!! This "event" was absolutely priceless.

An extremely diverting -- and well-written -- battlescene, btw. Like how you compile the details to add a farcical element to it.

> The druid was no great swordsman by any means, but his

> flaming sword forced the half-elven warrior to take extra care, and kept

> him at a distance. At least it had stopped snowing by now.

Too bad the snow couldn't extinguish the flaming sword. :)

> room as the druid screamed with pain.

If his pa could see him now.

> The wolf stood motionless,

> fact, she thought she could see his tail wag slowly.

Awwww... This was just *so* sweet! :)

> "I'm

> feel like it."

And with a wolf's enhanced senses too...OUCH! Funny way to end the story.

Loved this chapter. Thanks! :)

#19 Laufey

Posted 12 May 2002 - 04:00 AM

> Reminds me of the tree house from Icewind Dale game. Fortunately the

> Archdruid was quite nice there.

Oh yes. Much nicer.

> > Actually I always felt contraversial about SD's If they are so bad, how

> come they are still druids? Aren't they supposed to be 'true neutral'?

> Well nevermind the alignment, they still serve Silvanus and get their

> spells. That's unless they are Malarans.

Well, you know my opinions on alignment. :-o It frequently makes no sense whatsoever.

> Auch! Trouble.It's good at least that Edwin turned himself into a wolf -

> not a toad!

Yes indeed. He could have got stepped upon! :)

>

> Ahem, they are well past the first stage I gather. I don't think you can

> keep them from doing something drastic for much longer. /grin

Writer's privilige. :) Anyway, they're both still much into denial, they're out adventuring and pretty occupied, and then there will be certain...complications.

> Exciting installment, as always! It is the mines next - right?

Quite so. Thanks for your comments! :)

In The Cards

#20 Laufey

Posted 12 May 2002 - 04:03 AM

> Kudos on your opening! Had *no* idea about the reluctant shapechanging

> participant. Hmm, but does this individual find another, ahem, *later*

> involuntary shapechange exilerating too? :-o Guess you'll let us know in

> SoA.

Heh. ;D We'll see.

> > [Pumps fist in air] You rock, Edwin!!

Edwin: Thank you. I have little patience with fools, you know.

> If his pa could see him now.

*grin* I think he might be quite imprssed.

> Awwww... This was just *so* sweet! :)

Thanks! :)

> And with a wolf's enhanced senses too...OUCH! Funny way to end the story.

> Loved this chapter. Thanks! :)

Thank you very much, and thanks for your comments!

In The Cards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com